View Full Version : Game Time??

Bisonguy
10-26-2004, 03:16 AM
This subject was brought up pretty frequently on Prime Time Sports tonight- so what's your preference for kickoff time?

Please take into consideration all factors-such as travel, work, tailgating, other things, etc......

dnk
10-26-2004, 05:53 AM
The athletic department gets a lot of pressure from the
merchants in the area regarding start times.
They want out of towners to eat, drink and shop BEFORE
and after the game. Then the motel/hotel folks want
them staying over. After the poor attendance on satur-
day I think NDSU has to look out for themselves only.

IowaBison
10-26-2004, 02:02 PM
These early afternoon games STINK!

they ruin tailgating, as North Dakota mornings in the fall are good for nothing, but getting chores done

and they ruin sleeping in

If they want folks to stay in town, they should definitely schedule night games. If the game is over by 4, most fans can make it home.

If the game starts at six, I would imagine people would be more likely to spend the night. Hopefully they would attend Church in Fargo as well and pray for the Bison!

Junior
10-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Breakfast brats and eggs are kinda good. At least they were at the few K State and Iowa State games I tailgated at.... :-/

IowaBison
10-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Can't disagree, but it's a little colder up here in October than it is in Manhattan or Ames

Had a good time two weeks ago with rolls, coffee, hot cocoa, and alcohol.

I really don't like grilling when it's freezing, it's difficult to cook food well and evenly.

Junior
10-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Yes, good point on the weather. As good at it was, it was a real bitch getting up early enough...

Bison_Dan
10-26-2004, 03:42 PM
I don't know why 4:00 was not chosen more? Start tailgating at noon, see the game and still have the night to party or do whatever. :D

BisonMav
10-26-2004, 04:25 PM
My favorite time is 3:00pm.

BisonCountry
10-26-2004, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see more games on non-traditional days too. Many programs trying to garner more exposure play games on Wed. or Thursday so the are not competing vs other games.

A good example was the NW St. vs Nichols game last week. They were able to get Fox Sports Coverage because they played on Thursday.

I've become more of a fan of the idea of having the evening games although I wouldn't oppose the 3 or 4 time slots.

IowaBison
10-26-2004, 04:52 PM
I think that the GWFC should have a non-Saturday game once a week.

However, as our athletes ARE students, this might be asking a little much?

BraxtonT
10-26-2004, 05:11 PM
6:00 P.M. for all games!!!!

1. There is plenty of time to tailgate all season long, with warmer afternoons in the fall, as opposed to chilly mornings.

2. No excuses about missing out on hunting: All the hunters I know are up by 5:30 in the morning and done by early afternoon.

3. Out of towners like me (two hour drive) can get home by 11:30; Believe me, the extra hour is nice when compared to the 7:00 start time.

4. More people have work commitments during the day than in the evening.

5. Late October, early November games would have little competition with high school playoff games; Tough choice for many who follow their local team, especially the parents.

Promotion idea: Discounted tickets to those who attend a high school event (football, volleyball, cross country, etc...) on the same day as a Bison game; Simply show your high school game program for the discount; Reward the real fans of the game. Besides, they might actually have a pulse and cheer loudly.

roadwarrior
10-26-2004, 09:54 PM
The attendance records would show that more fans show up for evening games than afternoon games. It has been this way for years.

IowaBison
11-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Maybe they should have more evening games.

Once fans become more familiar with DIAA it would be nice to hear scores from the Big Sky, Southland, and if we continue to exist the GWFC.

I really don't give a hoot about Harvard beating Dartmouth, but Davis beating Poly or Montana losing would be fun to hear during a game.

Bisonfan01234
11-01-2004, 05:19 PM
They need to do some studies and pick a time that will maximize revenue.

BisBison
11-02-2004, 01:24 AM
6:00 for all games except 1:00 for Homecoming. There's too much else going on for a late start. I drive 3 hours to get to the games and a 1:00 start means a real early departure or no lunch or tailgating b4 the game. We always have gotten a better crowd for the late starts.

roadwarrior
11-02-2004, 04:05 AM
I like the evening games better myself. They have always produced larger crowds.

somebison
11-02-2004, 04:22 AM
when is the last time a game was scheduled for mid-afternoon- I would like to see them at least try one next year to see what the turnout is