PDA

View Full Version : WIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Kevin
10-21-2023, 09:57 PM
1) Learned very little from this.
2) Cole should start.
3) Kpeenu should start.
4) Brock Jensen didn't renew his restraining order against Lakes. Forgiveness is a sign of a better man.
5) Scottie didn't go to the game because everyone was talking about 50/50 and he thought they were saying 5150.
6) If you got that joke without having to google you're my people bro.
7) Seriously though I don't know what to really make of what we just watched. Looked good but Fargo South probably would have against WIU too.
8) Cole is really freaking good tho. If OnLy He CoUlD pAsS.

heffray
10-21-2023, 09:59 PM
Yeah. The Defense hasn’t really done anything to show that they are going to stop any Offense with a heartbeat.

Someone help me here, but I don’t think I counted a single designed QB run?

gavin2126
10-21-2023, 10:00 PM
Couldn't watch the game. Did we win?

heffray
10-21-2023, 10:01 PM
Couldn't watch the game. Did we win?

Squeaked out a tight one…

El_Chapo
10-21-2023, 10:04 PM
I talked to an UNIDENTIFIED PARENT.
he said our defense is our problem & we got no nasty dogs... and I said THATS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID LAST WEEK & USD game.

hope that gets better by sdsu game

Kevin
10-21-2023, 10:05 PM
he said our defense is our problem & we got no nasty dogs... and I said THATS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID LAST WEEK & USD game.

i talked to an unidentified grandparent and they asked me if i could sell them a gun because of some guy in the bushes outside their house

don't worry i said no

KSBisonFan
10-21-2023, 10:14 PM
We'll probably learn a lot more next week. Extreme purple.

GreenfieldBison
10-21-2023, 10:15 PM
i talked to an unidentified grandparent and they asked me if i could sell them a gun because of some guy in the bushes outside their house

don't worry i said no
Tell them to just put an inflatable out on the porch.

Bison03
10-21-2023, 10:25 PM
Dominant win. Enough said

Kevin
10-21-2023, 10:47 PM
i wonder what the average time for our qb's in the pocket was this game. seemed like aside from one sack on cole they had 5+ seconds every drop back.

wiu had less penetration than lakes on a date night.

El_Chapo
10-21-2023, 10:53 PM
i wonder what the average time for our qb's in the pocket was this game. seemed like aside from one sack on cole they had 5+ seconds every drop back.

wiu had less penetration than lakes on a date night.

hey now....I can plow bro

taper
10-21-2023, 10:57 PM
We'll probably learn a lot more next week. Extreme purple.

A win next week guarantees a winning season.
A win after that puts us on the playoff bubble.
A win after that locks us into the playoffs.
A win after that gives us a seed.

Although those wins are increasingly unlikely, we need to get back in the mentality of one game at a time.

GreenfieldBison
10-21-2023, 11:01 PM
A win next week guarantees a winning season.
A win after that puts us on the playoff bubble.
A win after that locks us into the playoffs.
A win after that gives us a seed.

Although those wins are increasingly unlikely, we need to get back in the mentality of one game at a time.
Too many chickens bro

WestCoastBison
10-21-2023, 11:06 PM
1) Learned very little from this.
2) Cole should start.
3) Kpeenu should start.
4) Brock Jensen didn't renew his restraining order against Lakes. Forgiveness is a sign of a better man.
5) Scottie didn't go to the game because everyone was talking about 50/50 and he thought they were saying 5150.
6) If you got that joke without having to google you're my people bro.
7) Seriously though I don't know what to really make of what we just watched. Looked good but Fargo South probably would have against WIU too.
8) Cole is really freaking good tho. If OnLy He CoUlD pAsS.

I got. I am one haha

mtoutfitter
10-21-2023, 11:08 PM
I got. I am one haha

John Deere eh.

GreenfieldBison
10-21-2023, 11:08 PM
I got. I am one haha
Yeah, it’s anonymous so safe to admit I guess.

HerdBot
10-21-2023, 11:18 PM
Not sure what to think since our 3rd string was better than their starters. But we did toss them around like rag dolls but so has many teams. But it's a dominating win. Special teams really sucked again

130Bison
10-22-2023, 12:10 AM

Wow great insight. Such a good football mind you have. Glad you know the parents and grandmas so you can get this inside info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonJump
10-22-2023, 12:13 AM
The good news; at least we aren’t as bad as WIU, yet. The bad news; UND got spanked by UNI si the remaining schedule doesn’t look good.

runtheoption
10-22-2023, 12:23 AM
Gores looked good. Very quick!

BigHorns
10-22-2023, 12:25 AM
The good news; at least we aren’t as bad as WIU, yet. The bad news; UND got spanked by UNI si the remaining schedule doesn’t look good.

SIU kept it close with SDSU also.

We win next game in another blowout. Score today was comparable to what UND and MSU did to WIU.
Our season and playoffs comes down to the last 3 games.

SoCalBison
10-22-2023, 12:26 AM
UND hangover, not sure it means much. SDSU by just 7 over Southern Illinois... SDSU isn't invulnerable, but the Bison won't be the ones. Would love to be proven wrong.

Today, the Bison got the W. That's enough for now.

THEsocalledfan
10-22-2023, 12:28 AM
UND hangover, not sure it means much. SDSU by just 7 over Southern Illinois... SDSU isn't invulnerable, but the Bison won't be the ones. Would love to be proven wrong.

Today, the Bison got the W. That's enough for now.

Funny thing is, watching SDSU, you got to throw the ball to beat those guys......too bad out defense will get shreded.

BiZon22
10-22-2023, 12:39 AM
Funny thing is, watching SDSU, you got to throw the ball to beat those guys......too bad out defense will get shreded.

Honestly I think Cole gives us a better chance against them. Significantly better runner and he looks more poised in the pocket. Granted it’s WIU but he will use the middle of the field where I feel Cam doesn’t trust his arm strength to throw into the middle

IzzyFlexion
10-22-2023, 12:50 AM
Crosa has reached an even 100 career PAT kicks (without a miss).

GreenfieldBison
10-22-2023, 12:53 AM
Crosa has reached an even 100 career PAT kicks (without a miss).
You had to say it eh?

NDSUstudent
10-22-2023, 01:20 AM
We dominated a Pioneer League team or wherever WIU is joining. I did actually enjoy some of what Roehl was doing, defense did some nice things. I can call it a baby step forward.

BisonJump
10-22-2023, 01:39 AM
Gores looked good. Very quick!

His Dad was the women’s track coach at NDSU for 12+ years and is in the Bison HOF. He specialized in the sprints. I was his assistant for 8 years. Guess what I coached?😄

TAILG8R
10-22-2023, 01:46 AM
We learned that we don’t have any answers at safety and I still very much question our dbacks.

mtoutfitter
10-22-2023, 02:02 AM
We learned that we don’t have any answers at safety and I still very much question our dbacks.

Let's hope Noah Taylor is a stud.

Wally
10-22-2023, 02:06 AM
Neato gang..bring on the competition..that’s you Murray St. Entz and Roehl are geniuses.

Twincitybizon
10-22-2023, 03:23 AM
Really liked the RFr team. D line looked like they had the size we're missing now. Mccaslin,anene,magin, Larson. Put 10-15lbs on the young dt's and they'll take us to the promise land. Wiu sucks too much to see if the cb were any good -nelson and Alexander. Put Givance on the field at safety. With duttenhefer and huisman dt(so) , and menz I feel good about that group in the coming years. Zero true freshman dressed. Wtf we thinking there. Could crumby get on the field?

bruinbison
10-22-2023, 03:38 AM
Really liked the RFr team. D line looked like they had the size we're missing now. Mccaslin,anene,magin, Larson. Put 10-15lbs on the young dt's and they'll take us to the promise land. Wiu sucks too much to see if the cb were any good -nelson and Alexander. Put Givance on the field at safety. With duttenhefer and huisman dt(so) , and menz I feel good about that group in the coming years. Zero true freshman dressed. Wtf we thinking there. Could crumby get on the field?

True freshman CB Najee Nelson & RB Kelly Watson played today.
Don’t know who else may have dressed.

Twincitybizon
10-22-2023, 03:44 AM

My mistake! Dad of a freshman behind me said none dressed and I thought najee was a RFr. I thought #30 might have been a Jersey swap at the time. I didn't know much about watson

ABommer
10-22-2023, 11:19 AM

Jailen Duffie and Jaylin Crumby both dressed as well, but neither got on the field.

bruinbison
10-22-2023, 12:19 PM
My mistake! Dad of a freshman behind me said none dressed and I thought najee was a RFr. I thought #30 might have been a Jersey swap at the time. I didn't know much about watson

Kelly Watson was the late addition to the recruiting class from Elmhurst Illinois (York HS).
Might be wrong but I think this was after Kobe Johnson transfer portalled so there was a need for depth. Watson was under the radar, short offer list.

What is interesting is that Watson saw the field before the 3 star RB recruit from Omaha - Creighton Prep’s CharMar Brown.
That may simply be explained by it being the Western Illinois game…

Speaking of Kobe Johnson, he was lost for the season but Colorado State will redshirt him and he will be back for a 6th season https://sports.yahoo.com/colorado-state-football-player-kobe-181541842.html

tjamz
10-22-2023, 12:24 PM
hey now....I can plow bro

I heard you were described as more like a "no-till air drill" in that it still manages to get the seed in, without disturbing the virgin soil.......................................

KSBisonFan
10-22-2023, 12:34 PM
5 teams ranked ahead of us lost yesterday.

I don't feel any better about the last 3 games after yesterday's result.

Kevin
10-22-2023, 01:08 PM
Kelly Watson was the late addition to the recruiting class from Elmhurst Illinois (York HS).
Might be wrong but I think this was after Kobe Johnson transfer portalled so there was a need for depth. Watson was under the radar, short offer list.

What is interesting is that Watson saw the field before the 3 star RB recruit from Omaha - Creighton Prep’s CharMar Brown.

Speaking of Kobe Johnson, he was lost for the season but Colorado State will redshirt him and he will be back for a 6th season https://sports.yahoo.com/colorado-state-football-player-kobe-181541842.html

kobe's gonna be like 35 when he's done with college ball

KSBisonFan
10-22-2023, 01:25 PM

When the reserves came in, I was sure it was Charmar Brown at RB. Was surprised to hear it was Watson. Maybe Brown gets the reserve role against Murray?

garbageman
10-22-2023, 01:27 PM

Take it for what its worth but Kobe was coming back to olay for the BISON once also

heffray
10-22-2023, 02:08 PM
We dominated a Pioneer League team or wherever WIU is joining. I did actually enjoy some of what Roehl was doing, defense did some nice things. I can call it a baby step forward.

I asked this on page 1 and didn’t get any takers… did anyone else notice a significant decrease in designed QB runs or was that just me? I don’t recall seeing any actually…

Twincitybizon
10-22-2023, 02:12 PM
I asked this on page 1 and didn’t get any takers… did anyone else notice a significant decrease in designed QB runs or was that just me? I don’t recall seeing any actually…

Wiu was so bad I don't think they felt they needed the advantage. But yes, more under center downhill runs. Very little to no designed qb runs. Interested to watch the TV copy

heffray
10-22-2023, 02:15 PM
Wiu was so bad I don't think they felt they needed the advantage. But yes, more under center downhill runs. Very little to no designed qb runs. Interested to watch the TV copy

Lol so you mean to tell me that a Roehl didn’t use any QB runs yesterday because he didn’t want to use his best plays against an inferior opponent?

Yeah that checks out.

GreenfieldBison
10-22-2023, 02:23 PM
They were able to get around the edge with RBs yesterday. That did not happen against UxD.

tony
10-22-2023, 05:08 PM
They were able to get around the edge with RBs yesterday. That did not happen against UxD.

Barika has a nice cutback... the problem is that if it's defended, he'll try to bounce outside and, more often than not, lose yardage. He seems to have good vision though so I expect he'll learn to take what he can get eventually.

I didn't see anything against WIU to make me more optimistic about the RB run game or the run defense other than the second team offensive line looked promising.

I could see NDSU's defense giving up 400+ yards rushing at 9ypc vs SDSU. The best hope for this not happening is SDSU's coaching staff. I don't think our RBs will crack 50.

Each year NDSU gets smaller and less physical on defense. It worked for a while when we had undersized players who played with abandon (think Kazcor, Tutsie, Weber, etc) but it took on a toll on them and it showed. I was secondhand embarrassed by some of the weak ass tackling attempts against WIU. If we have guys out there on defense who are unwilling to make contact and tackle properly, it's time to sit them down, yank their scholarship at the end of the season, and replace them with actual football players and let them play intramural flag football.

heffray
10-22-2023, 09:06 PM
Barika has a nice cutback... the problem is that if it's defended, he'll try to bounce outside and, more often than not, lose yardage. He seems to have good vision though so I expect he'll learn to take what he can get eventually.

I didn't see anything against WIU to make me more optimistic about the RB run game or the run defense other than the second team offensive line looked promising.

I could see NDSU's defense giving up 400+ yards rushing at 9ypc vs SDSU. The best hope for this not happening is SDSU's coaching staff. I don't think our RBs will crack 50.

Each year NDSU gets smaller and less physical on defense. It worked for a while when we had undersized players who played with abandon (think Kazcor, Tutsie, Weber, etc) but it took on a toll on them and it showed. I was secondhand embarrassed by some of the weak ass tackling attempts against WIU. If we have guys out there on defense who are unwilling to make contact and tackle properly, it's time to sit them down, yank their scholarship at the end of the season, and replace them with actual football players and let them play intramural flag football.

I absolutely agree with this. All of this. Tackling has been awful all year. The only one hitting hard all year has been Wiesnewski and he got a concussion on one of those hits, so… something appears amiss with coaching our defense how to hit and tackle.

KSBisonFan
10-22-2023, 09:27 PM
I absolutely agree with this. All of this. Tackling has been awful all year. The only one hitting hard all year has been Wiesnewski and he got a concussion on one of those hits, so… something appears amiss with coaching our defense how to hit and tackle.

Tackling was bad last year too. I thought it would be a focal point and we'd see improvement this season.

mtoutfitter
10-22-2023, 09:33 PM

In my opinion Nick Kubitz has been tackling well this year. Much better than Weerts.

KSBisonFan
10-22-2023, 09:35 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned much, but the fake punt WIU ran was really poor execution by the Bison. I don't think 1 of our players kept their eyes on the punter.

I also found it interesting that Entz talked about Steindorf getting a dead leg from all the reps in practice. He mentioned hang time on kickoffs and implied it was why Ozick was handling kickoffs on Saturday.

LefseBison
10-22-2023, 10:02 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned much, but the fake punt WIU ran was really poor execution by the Bison. I don't think 1 of our players kept their eyes on the punter.

I also found it interesting that Entz talked about Steindorf getting a dead leg from all the reps in practice. He mentioned hang time on kickoffs and implied it was why Ozick was handling kickoffs on Saturday.

When I hear comment about "poor tackling" from some of you, :bleh::evil:I am baffled. That is so BASIC to football. How can football players not know how to tackle and how can the coaches not teach this very basic skill? Are coaches that clueless. I feel I am in La-La Land. :mad::bleh:

KC_Hats
10-22-2023, 10:07 PM
Logan Kopp has been hitting pretty good.

Cole Payton has looked very good throwing the ball. He has thrown some pretty passes that were dimes.

Interestingly enough it seems like SIU's defense is better this season with their new defensive coordinator.

GreenfieldBison
10-22-2023, 10:47 PM
When I hear comment about "poor tackling" from some of you, :bleh::evil:I am baffled. That is so BASIC to football. How can football players not know how to tackle and how can the coaches not teach this very basic skill? Are coaches that clueless. I feel I am in La-La Land. :mad::bleh:
Every collegiate freshman should arrive at school on day one well versed in the basic skills of reading, writing, math and basic reasoning. Similarly, every freshman D1 football player should arrive with the basic skill of tackling already well in command. Sadly it seems that every year these folks need to be taught that just invading the personal space of a ball carrying opponent will not cause that foe to spontaneously fall to the ground and/or ground the ball. Even worse, it is not just the raw frosh who need to be taught this. Rather stunning actually.

GreenfieldBison
10-22-2023, 10:49 PM

It needs to be said: '23 NDSU FB special teams are not special and their management needs to be reassigned.

scottietohottie
10-22-2023, 10:57 PM
It needs to be said: '23 NDSU FB special teams are not special and their management needs to be reassigned.

Special enough to ride a short bus eh

Wolfie
10-22-2023, 11:25 PM
Every collegiate freshman should arrive at school on day one well versed in the basic skills of reading, writing, math and basic reasoning. Similarly, every freshman D1 football player should arrive with the basic skill of tackling already well in command. Sadly it seems that every year these folks need to be taught that just invading the personal space of a ball carrying opponent will not cause that foe to spontaneously fall to the ground and/or ground the ball. Even worse, it is not just the raw frosh who need to be taught this. Rather stunning actually.

why make a basic tackle, when you can leap from 4 yards away and try to make ESPN?
Pat McAfee ain't gonna show you off if you make basic tackles.

GreenfieldBison
10-22-2023, 11:33 PM
why make a basic tackle, when you can leap from 4 yards away and try to make ESPN?
Yeah well, back when I played football competitively Pat McAfee's sperm donor had not yet achieved puberty.

We did not consider ESPN much.

Twincitybizon
10-22-2023, 11:45 PM
Lol so you mean to tell me that a Roehl didn’t use any QB runs yesterday because he didn’t want to use his best plays against an inferior opponent?

Yeah that checks out.

Lol yes that is exactly what I mean. Coaches think the extra blocker gives them a tactical advantage and use that whenever they feel they aren't winning up front enough to get it under center. IMO lol

Jim Puetz
10-22-2023, 11:46 PM
Here's what I learned from the game, albeit some of this could be heavily influenced by the talent of the team we played:

If we win the coin toss, take the ball and give the offense a chance to score on the first drive
We are better under center than Roehl wants to admit
Both QBs are above average passers (that assumes that Cam steps into his throws rather than try to throw off his back foot, Cole has a cannon and spins it well)
We have some underclassmen on the defensive line who should be in the regular two deep rotation - Derritt and W Mostert don't have the spark that Duttenhefer, Huisman, and Larson have
The speed with which our running backs hit the whole and made cuts was substantially much faster than prior games and turned the normal 1 yard gains into several 4-8 yard gains that kept drives going
If Roehl doesn't call those stupid drive killing plays like having Cam and Cole in at the same time so that we are 10 vs 11 with 9 in the box on 3rd and one and we lose 4 yards, we might be able to outscore our remaining opponents
Special teams are still terrible and I have no idea why more attention hasn't been focused there
We need to blow out Murray State so that more young guys can get game reps because we are going to need them to win two out of the last three games

Twincitybizon
10-23-2023, 12:31 AM
Also want to add our fullbacks don't get enough love. Best position group on the team right now. As the youths would say, they fuck.

Hammerhead
10-23-2023, 12:56 AM

Or just dive at their legs instead of trying to grab one or both legs.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2023, 10:02 AM
We saw something besides A gap run plays. And Cole got to pass some. There was a hint of deception in the offense.

roadwarrior
10-23-2023, 12:49 PM
NDSU had 85 players participate in the game.

KSBisonFan
10-23-2023, 01:02 PM
NDSU had 85 players participate in the game.

Good to see. I think Entz said we dressed 88 or 90 guys.

tony
10-23-2023, 01:44 PM
Also want to add our fullbacks don't get enough love. Best position group on the team right now. As the youths would say, they fuck.

The FBs were awesome. The offensive line was incredible in pass protection, and the defense got awesome pressure on their QB. Stoffel is a dude. Kopp and Kubitz had a good game. Also I loved that play by Oscar Bravo/Benson.

Cam was Steve Walker with better wheels (and has been all year). Cole was also on fire too, but who'd have thought that WIU would bring him down in the backfield twice?

Heck, I'd say that the offense was as close to perfection as I've ever seen in the first half - they only lost style points for being ineffective between the tackles on run plays - the notable exception being that QB sneak where they obliterated WIU's front. Note: My dream is that some day, NDSU catches a team with a normal defense in when we have a heavy package and runs QB sneak x times in a row until the endzone or they call time out (hurry-up style so they can't get adjust.)

BigHorns
10-23-2023, 01:50 PM
Was this our last game versus WIU? Outside them making the playoffs :rofl:

Wonder if we'll continue to play them OOC, or go with other options. Our OOC wasn't great this year.

mtoutfitter
10-23-2023, 01:54 PM
I heard you were described as more like a "no-till air drill" in that it still manages to get the seed in, without disturbing the virgin soil.......................................

Yes. But, an expert at spreading fertilizer.

runtheoption
10-23-2023, 02:03 PM
It was enjoyable to see us go under center so much. One observation on that: Did it appear like our QB's were very slow on getting our from underneath the center on the snap? Multiple times our O-line was firing off while it looked like the QB had barely started moving or was in in slow motion with their footwork. I wasn't drinking, so I can't blame what I saw on the booze.

BISONBRI53
10-23-2023, 02:08 PM

WOW!!!! That is some hard hitting shit right there! THANK YOU FOR THAT!!!!

Hammerhead
10-23-2023, 02:25 PM

Wonder if we'll continue to play them OOC, or go with other options. Our OOC wasn't great this year.

The non-conference schedule hasn't been very good the last few years. :(

GreenfieldBison
10-23-2023, 02:27 PM
It was enjoyable to see us go under center so much. One observation on that: Did it appear like our QB's were very slow on getting out from underneath the center on the snap? Multiple times our O-line was firing off while it looked like the QB had barely started moving or was in in slow motion with their footwork. I wasn't drinking, so I can't blame what I saw on the booze.
I noticed that too but not with Cam and I don't think Cole was slow either. But Anderson and the other kid were definitely lagging.

KSBisonFan
10-23-2023, 02:28 PM

Please no more WIU games!

tony
10-23-2023, 02:35 PM
Please no more WIU games!

Unless it's the playoffs.

El_Chapo
10-23-2023, 03:04 PM
Unless it's the playoffs.

would be funny to see WIU goto the OVC and win it next year and get the Auto Bid only to come to the Fargodome Round 1

WIU will always hold a place in my heart for beating #1 SDSU and Mike Daum as a #8 seed in Sioux Falls.. that was a sight to behold!

bison22
10-23-2023, 03:40 PM
yeah but has anyone claimed the 50/50 yet?

bison22
10-23-2023, 03:42 PM
we have a winner! Hope it was Trey Lance

Gaming Fargo
23h ·
Seems we have a winner for this week's big 5050 Pot. It will become official once we can verify and process the ticket Monday morning. More to come at that time.

El_Chapo
10-23-2023, 04:51 PM

Gaming Fargo
23h ·
Seems we have a winner for this week's big 5050 Pot. It will become official once we can verify and process the ticket Monday morning. More to come at that time.

BOOOOOOOOoo

KSBisonFan
10-23-2023, 06:14 PM

Gaming Fargo
23h ·

And there went the attendance for Saturdays game.

NDSUstudent
10-23-2023, 06:21 PM

WIU makes the teams we played in OOC look like Ohio State, Michigan and Georgia. Worst team I have seen in the dome for a conference game.

El_Chapo
10-23-2023, 06:34 PM
And there went the attendance for Saturdays game.

yup. I'm out. even though Murray will be better than wiu

BigHorns
10-23-2023, 06:45 PM
yup. I'm out. even though Murray will be better than wiu

Slightly. 8 pts better by Sagarin.

BigHorns
10-23-2023, 06:53 PM
WIU makes the teams we played in OOC look like Ohio State, Michigan and Georgia. Worst team I have seen in the dome for a conference game.

SHSU vs FIU last week was worse. Anyone who didn't see that game should go look for a replay, just for the LOLz.

May be the worst two teams in all of division 1 football, fcs or fbs.
FIU quarterback dropped the football (no pressure, or particular reason to do so), on their own 15 yard line.
SHSU was setup for an easy win with under 2 minutes remaining. Still found a way to lose that game.

CUSA football makes the MVFC look like SEC.

BigLakeBison
10-23-2023, 07:13 PM
SHSU vs FIU last week was worse. Anyone who didn't see that game should go look for a replay, just for the LOLz.

FIU quarterback dropped the football (no pressure, or particular reason to do so), on their own 15 yard line.
SHSU was setup for an easy win with under 2 minutes remaining. Still found a way to lose that game.

You're telling us that SHSU and FIU would lose to the WIU that was in the dome last Saturday? If you truly believe that than I'm not certain that anyone should put much stock in what you share here. That's not saying that SHSU and FIU aren't bad but both of those teams would beat that WIU team handily.

BISONBRI53
10-23-2023, 07:28 PM

Well we are the SEC of the FCS.

BigHorns
10-23-2023, 09:54 PM
You're telling us that SHSU and FIU would lose to the WIU that was in the dome last Saturday? If you truly believe that than I'm not certain that anyone should put much stock in what you share here. That's not saying that SHSU and FIU aren't bad but both of those teams would beat that WIU team handily.

I don't really know who would win, all 3 of those teams are sad beyond belief.

What I do know is I watch a metric shit ton of FCS and G5 games, and that particular game was a disgrace to the sport of football.
SHSU was bad in fcs last year, and this year they are inventing new ways to lose.

Go watch some of these games if you don't believe me, or just go read what SHSU fans are saying on their board. They're folding up the tent. Damn near ghost town stadium for that game, it looked horrible. MSU vs Sac State was 1000x better entertainment, in every possible way.

DCinOK
10-23-2023, 10:57 PM
I am disgusted/horrified that james madison university is the 25th ranked team in big-time college football. I despise them.

NDSU92
10-23-2023, 11:08 PM

I AM certain that you shouldn’t put much stock in anything he has to say about CUSA. Just whatever you do, don’t mention that CUSA has a higher sagarin rating than the MVFC. Lol

KC_Hats
10-23-2023, 11:11 PM
I actually thought that this year's OOC was very good. Eastern Washington and Central Arkansas have both been regular playoff participants with EWU being very good to one of the top teams at times.

Maine is also a member of the CAA.

It was 3 games against competition from good conferences that should have good players.

The Bison also got a decent payday from US Bank for playing EWU.

I would take an OOC schedule like this year's over quite a few of the past few years.

The non-conference schedule hasn't been very good the last few years. :(

td577
10-23-2023, 11:37 PM
About 95% of anything that went wrong for the Bison defense on Saturday was related to middle linebacker play. Anything more than 2 years gained, the MLB got sucked down to LOS and engaged with lineman. When he wasn't guessing and stayed parallel with ball, the wiu offense struggled. A lot.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

AKBison
10-23-2023, 11:46 PM
I am disgusted/horrified that james madison university is the 25th ranked team in big-time college football. I despise them.

Two programs headed in opposite direction and they are definitely getting the last laugh.

TAILG8R
10-23-2023, 11:49 PM
About 95% of anything that went wrong for the Bison defense on Saturday was related to middle linebacker play. Anything more than 2 years gained, the MLB got sucked down to LOS and engaged with lineman. When he wasn't guessing and stayed parallel with ball, the wiu offense struggled. A lot.

I noticed more than once a LB charging toward the line and engaging with a lineman. Like it was on purpose to take on a blocker but to open things up for who? Because no one was coming behind him.

BigLakeBison
10-24-2023, 12:32 AM
I don't really know who would win, all 3 of those teams are sad beyond belief.

What I do know is I watch a metric shit ton of FCS and G5 games, and that particular game was a disgrace to the sport of football.
SHSU was bad in fcs last year, and this year they are inventing new ways to lose.

Go watch some of these games if you don't believe me, or just go read what SHSU fans are saying on their board. They're folding up the tent. Damn near ghost town stadium for that game, it looked horrible. MSU vs Sac State was 1000x better entertainment, in every possible way.

SHSU and FIU can be bad and still beat that WIU team handily. NDSU won 52-7 and this NDSU team isn’t a world beater in comparison to the standard that the program has set. That WIU team is going to struggle to finish in the top half of the OVC next year if they don’t find a way to improve. That was worst MVFC team that I have seen. They have lost 20 straight games and that streak is going to grow.

Twincitybizon
10-24-2023, 02:33 AM

Disagree, on at least one occasion ( bigger run early ) Derritt just gets lost and the RB ran right through his hole by him. Lb's struggle when the d line struggles and they can't stay clean. 91 and Derritt ain't getting it done consistently. Just my opinion. Huisman and duttenhefer need to play more with Derritt 3rd down pass rushing dt. BISON nutrition please put 10-15lbs on all dt's as soon as possible......

BigHorns
10-24-2023, 04:20 PM
NDSU won 52-7 and this NDSU team isn’t a world beater in comparison to the standard that the program has set.

We really don't know for certain how good NDSU is or can be this year. Sagarin still has us top 3 in FCS.
One interesting datapoint is we beat WIU 56-17 last year and ended up in Frisco.
IF this game meant anything, 52-7 would indicate a slightly better NDSU defense over last year.

All we really know is WIU and Murray are such piss poor teams that these games tell us nothing.

We'll see how we look against SDSU this year. That's unfortunately the benchmark now.
Then, we'll see with SIU and UNI how competitive we are with the rest of the field.

BigLakeBison
10-24-2023, 08:25 PM
We really don't know for certain how good NDSU is or can be this year. Sagarin still has us top 3 in FCS.
One interesting datapoint is we beat WIU 56-17 last year and ended up in Frisco.
IF this game meant anything, 52-7 would indicate a slightly better NDSU defense over last year.

All we really know is WIU and Murray are such piss poor teams that these games tell us nothing.

We'll see how we look against SDSU this year. That's unfortunately the benchmark now.
Then, we'll see with SIU and UNI how competitive we are with the rest of the field.

You are talking in circles. The WIU team that played in the dome last Saturday is the worst MVFC team that I have seen since NDSU joined the conference and I started watching. They are historically bad and have not won a game in almost 2 full seasons and that streak is growing. SHSU and FIU would both beat them and it wouldn't be very competitive. That's not me arguing that SHSU and FIU are good teams. They would likely both finish below .500 in MVFC play but they would beat WIU. You arguing that SHSU and FIU were worse is what put up a red flag for me. I get it, you don't think CUSA is good. The reality is that they are similar to the MVFC in almost every metric you want to point to, Sagarin, budgets, fan attendance, national relevance. If CUSA isn't relevant than neither is the MVFC. They both are far down on the pecking order of Division 1 college football. Arguing otherwise is just ridiculous from my perspective.

BigHorns
10-24-2023, 10:02 PM
You are talking in circles. The WIU team that played in the dome last Saturday is the worst MVFC team that I have seen since NDSU joined the conference and I started watching. They are historically bad and have not won a game in almost 2 full seasons and that streak is growing. SHSU and FIU would both beat them and it wouldn't be very competitive. That's not me arguing that SHSU and FIU are good teams. They would likely both finish below .500 in MVFC play but they would beat WIU. You arguing that SHSU and FIU were worse is what put up a red flag for me. I get it, you don't think CUSA is good. The reality is that they are similar to the MVFC in almost every metric you want to point to, Sagarin, budgets, fan attendance, national relevance. If CUSA isn't relevant than neither is the MVFC. They both are far down on the pecking order of Division 1 college football. Arguing otherwise is just ridiculous from my perspective.

We would beat the shit out of both SHSU and FIU, and it would be every bit as bad as what we did to WIU. Sorry, but that conference really isn't any better than where we are now. I watched that game, and it made our contest look like a masterpiece.

You don't remember the 50 point beatdowns we gave them? They are 0-7 for a reason.

NDSU92
10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
We would beat the shit out of both SHSU and FIU, and it would be every bit as bad as what we did to WIU. Sorry, but that conference really isn't any better than where we are now. I watched that game, and it made our contest look like a masterpiece.

You don't remember the 50 point beatdowns we gave them? They are 0-7 for a reason.

Didn’t Sammy beat us the last time we played them? Lol

Hammerhead
10-25-2023, 12:39 AM
Didn’t Sammy beat us the last time we played them? Lol

But Covid and our #1 quarterback was waiting for the draft.