PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern State Preview

swany_spectrum
10-29-2004, 04:41 PM
http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/sports/s-1029-gameday.htm

Enjoy

KTF
10-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Does NDSU really hold the advantage defensively?

IowaBison
10-29-2004, 07:11 PM
I don't think so, NWSU rush defense is #1 in the country.

I also don't think you give the quarterback advantage to Walker. Despite his past performance, I don't think enough is known about him.

thundar94
10-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Walker may have the advantage though because of the poor performance of both NW State's QB's. They combined for 3 interceptions last week and only 14 points. Either way, we need show Mr. Walker that we have the confidence in him to get the job done!!

swany_spectrum
10-29-2004, 07:40 PM
The Bison will give Walker opportunities to make big plays and play a factor in the game. From what I hear, Walker has looked sharp at practice all week and is ready to roll. Northwestern St. will ask their quarterbacks to play Baltimore Ravens style (i.e., don't mess up too bad and let the defense win). I have a feeling the Bison offense will unleash Walker (I'm crossing my fingers).

I think we do have the advantage defensively. Remember, we have shut down some very good offensive playmakers this year and some good offenses for that matter. Last week we held Cal Poly under 160 yards. We should do the same this week.

CKelly
10-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I'm sorry but as inexperienced as Walker is, no way does he get the advantage. Northwestern has a solid two headed QB system. May not set the world on fire, but a guy making his first start of the year against the #2 defense in the nation does not deserve the advantage. Walker's gameplan will be controlled and likely simplified to make sure he doens't make any big mistakes that could change the momemtum of the game. Where Walker can take advantage is with his mobility, but I hardly think you'll be seeing him launch balls 50 yards down the field.

Also, the Northwestern D line is going to surprise people. They are quick, and as physical as anyone. Agianst that tough NDSU O-line it will be a war. In terms of the best defensive line in the conference- man the Bison are talented, but I wouldn't necessarily count out Cal Poly's line with Turbin and Gocong. Maybe throw in an "arguably".

I could go on and on, but this is flat out giving the #2 defense in the nation no respect by favoring the Bison in every defensive aspect of the game. It's hard to take it serious.

IowaBison
10-29-2004, 08:55 PM
you know, it almost makes me think that the spectrum sports editor is a homer!

99Bison
10-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Walker will launch one 50 yards down field. :-)

Flintstone
10-29-2004, 10:26 PM
I read somewhere that Northwestern State plays a lot of man coverage. Walker should light them up this weekend.

Steffes averaged 6.7 yards per carry against Cal Poly last weekend. They have one of the toughest defenses in the country. I think he should have a big day on Saturday (If he touches the ball more than twice the second half).

JBB
10-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Walkers longest TD is 48 yds, the longest of the season for the BISON. He will go long but like many other fans I dont expect to see a whole bunch of new plays. One thing you see a lot of inexperienced QBs do is run, especially if they are good at it. I think we will see him take to his heals a number of times. If he is actually better at finding the open receiver there will be more explosive results, not necessarily more completions, but finding the open man will give us more chances. If Walker can knock them back with his arm we might see one of our backs get close to a 100.

JBNJBQ
10-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Good luck, I'm pulling for you!

JBNJBQ

swany_spectrum
10-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Now you see why I gave the quarterback edge to Walker. Walker is a tough s.o.b in the pocket and makes plays.

(Not to pat my own back but did I not call the Jackson touchdown pass in the gameday preview?)

GO BISON!!!

tony
10-31-2004, 09:43 PM
Good call, Swany!

Also: "I’m not too worried about their passing game. They’re like your friend who flies wingman. They are there and do the dirty work, nobody takes them seriously, but every once and awhile they surprise you and hook up big." Now that's a DI metaphor! The only problem with it is that you are assuming your reader is the squadron leader (for the record, I wasn't even a wingman. I was more like the guy walking around the flight deck with the big ear protection things on my head and waving orange glowy things around).

Also, my main gripe with the Forum is that they don't use the verb "bitchhammer" enough... I'm glad to see the Spectrum has no such problem.

Good article.

99Bison
11-01-2004, 01:22 AM
On swany's note, I called the WR pass to everyone around me at the game, they looked at me like I was a psychic... Until i pointed out the substitution and history of it :-) Still a good time though...

Bisonguy
11-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Now you see why I gave the quarterback edge to Walker. *Walker is a tough s.o.b in the pocket and makes plays. *

(Not to pat my own back but did I not call the Jackson touchdown pass in the gameday preview?)

GO BISON!!!

Walker's performance was helped by the man-zero coverage by NSU ;).

JBB
11-02-2004, 01:30 AM
Yea swany, even though CKelly bitchammered you a bit, I think you turned out to be right, at least in the end. Good call and I too thought it was entertaining.

IowaBison
11-02-2004, 02:27 PM
They were both right, Kelly in the first half, Swany in the second.

That being said, I think it was more wishful thinking than objective analysis on behalf of our Spectrum sports columnist.

CKelly
11-02-2004, 04:09 PM
The Bison coaches did exactly what I expected. They kept it conservative. Sure they may have gone downfield a couple times, but they threw the ball ELEVEN times with Walker. The pass to run ratio was as high as it's been all year. The Bison had not thrown it less than 18 this year, and most games are in the twenties. Coach Bohl did not put his young QB in a situation to make mistakes. He took a couple chances but limited an inexperienced QB's opportunity to make mistakes against a good defense.

tony
11-02-2004, 05:28 PM
On first down was where NDSU was really conservative ... 21 rushes v 3 passes. OTOH, all but one of Walker's passes were downfield. Last week, the offense passed a lot more, but there were a lot of really short passes into the flat.

I think maybe the coaches thought that they should have run more against Cal Poly (NDSU was having pretty good luck against them) and so decided to stick with the run more this game even though NW State was stopping the Bison dead in the first half.

JBB
11-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Thats right in line with what the coach said Monday. He wants to see the 2 and 3 yd runs in the first qtr turn into 5 and 10 yd runs later in the game. He also mentioned that the BISON cant be successfull as a 1 dimensional team.

If I had a criticism it was the floaters that Walker threw. I dont see it as a serious issue, but its a weak pass.

I just wanted to say bitchhammer CK, no offense intended. That term is now in use here. My wife and I laughed over that one.

Flintstone
11-02-2004, 11:04 PM
I thought the reason some passes were floated was because of the heavy pressure that was coming at Walker on nearly every passing play. That defense was fast!

99Bison
11-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Yes floating due to hanging in there and being bitchhammered!

tony
11-02-2004, 11:26 PM
NW State had a heck of a defense but they sure left their defensive backs in tough situations when they didn't get to the QB.

BTW, "BH" sounds like a drink name... a drink you'd want to avoid.

WYOBISONMAN
11-02-2004, 11:45 PM
I'll have a bitchhammer on the rocks............................................. ....please..... ;D