PDA

View Full Version : The Green and the Gold Collective

Bison Dan
07-31-2023, 10:55 PM
Hey Bison Fans Jay Bartley is starting a NIL collective for NDSU for student athletes. This is something that will promote and continue the success of Bison Athletics. Everyone needs to get on board and support this. It's a new world in collegian sports and we need to be at the forefront. A new website is being created and fans can reach out to Jay @Jaybartley34 for more information.

NDSU92
07-31-2023, 11:12 PM
Hey Bison Fans Jay Bartley is starting a NIL collective for NDSU for student athletes. This is something that will promote and continue the success of Bison Athletics. Everyone needs to get on board and support this. It's a new world in collegian sports and we need to be at the forefront. A new website is being created and fans can reach out to Jay @Jaybartley34 for more information.

Very important for future success. Awesome to hear it, this is major.

Any word when the website will be up and running? Very much looking forward to contributing.

mtoutfitter
07-31-2023, 11:14 PM
Is the prior NIL, that was posted on this board, going to be folded in with this one? Or, are they the same thing? I already donated to the prior one but will move over to this one if it's different.

HerdBot
07-31-2023, 11:37 PM
Is the prior NIL, that was posted on this board, going to be folded in with this one? Or, are they the same thing? I already donated to the prior one but will move over to this one if it's different.

Totally different. That one turned out to be mediovre with 15% going to a 3rd party company. I think this one will have some teeth behind it

Wouldnt hurt to do both but I would support this one since the coaches and administration are using this one as more of an unofficial official. This is the one administration will point bigger donors too

56BISON73
08-01-2023, 12:50 AM

We have 2 NILs?

mtoutfitter
08-01-2023, 01:03 AM
We have 2 NILs?

That's what I get out of his answer to my question.

NDSU92
08-01-2023, 01:25 AM
My very loose understanding is the first one was established by the players, they decide how it operates (it’s football-only with everyone getting the same $).

This is a different collective, established by boosters. It sounds like it will have different payouts for different seniority levels, benefits for transfers and also the ability to pay out for one off situations such as travel for parents or a parents funeral.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-01-2023, 01:28 AM
Rumor on the street is Lakes donated $20 and now he thinks he is driving this bus. ……

KC_Hats
08-01-2023, 03:14 AM
What is the Name Image Likeness part of this collective? Do players do advertising for companies?

Are the donations tax deductible?

SDbison
08-01-2023, 03:20 AM
No thanks!

NDSU92
08-01-2023, 03:34 AM
What is the Name Image Likeness part of this collective? Do players do advertising for companies?

Great questions. Hopefully a lot more information will be available on the website.

From the Valley News Live article, they will be looking for ways to get players into the community for fundraising efforts.

BISONBRI53
08-01-2023, 12:48 PM

This is totally separate from Teamakers right?

NDSU92
08-01-2023, 12:57 PM

Yes, completely separate.

tjbison
08-01-2023, 01:01 PM

YES

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/what-are-nil-collectives-and-how-do-they-operate/

Professor Chaos
08-01-2023, 01:11 PM

In theory collectives are supposed to pooled money that student-athletes are paid from when they perform some kind of service - be it an appearance, marketing, etc. I'm not sure it works like that in practice at most places and you'd probably need to contact Jay Bartley or whoever else would be helping with this to better understand this. However, I'm fairly sure "donations" are not tax-deductible since collectives are not considered to be charitable organizations - I believe some collectives have tried to claim this but have not gotten legal approval.

El_Chapo
08-01-2023, 01:48 PM
I was hoping the FM Business Community/Bison Booster Companies would grab 10-20 Players and pay them...thus avoiding a NIL collective.

but all the Power 5 schools are doing this so NDSU should.

this NIL should allow money to trickle thru to every player correct??

THEsocalledfan
08-01-2023, 01:53 PM
Dom and Jeff talked about this yesterday on Hot Mic. Worth a listen. Clearly, Jay and all are still finding their way. Not sure how often Jay still comes on here (usually when someone posts something stupid based on "inside word" he knows is false), but would be great for him to post his thoughts on how this will work.

El_Chapo
08-01-2023, 02:48 PM
Yes, he should 100% be posting again.... especially in this thread.

He will be on Insiders today.

mtoutfitter
08-01-2023, 03:05 PM
Dom and Jeff talked about this yesterday on Hot Mic. Worth a listen. Clearly, Jay and all are still finding their way. Not sure how often Jay still comes on here (usually when someone posts something stupid based on "inside word" he knows is false), but would be great for him to post his thoughts on how this will work.

So he posts here after most of Chapo's posts???

THEsocalledfan
08-01-2023, 05:32 PM
So he posts here after most of Chapo's posts???

You said it, but that is pretty accurate! :)

On a more serious note, when this happens, I get a chuckle when folks start arguing with him.....he's always been a poster to pay attention to.

KSBisonFan
08-01-2023, 06:05 PM
Good info about the collective from Jay today on The Insiders. Last segment of the show.

runtheoption
08-01-2023, 07:50 PM
Good info about the collective from Jay today on The Insiders. Last segment of the show. I just listened. The segment is heavy on getting people excited for it but pretty light on details on how it will work, and for good reason -- it's still very new with a lot of work and development to be done by Jay and his team. Sounds like just getting the word out and the website functioning are the highest priorities.

I hate NIL, probably not as much as SDBison, but it's not gonna go away. Get busy living or get busy dying.

THEsocalledfan
08-01-2023, 07:58 PM
I just listened. The segment is heavy on getting people excited for it but pretty light on details on how it will work, and for good reason -- it's still very new with a lot of work and development to be done by Jay and his team. Sounds like just getting the word out and the website functioning are the highest priorities.

I hate NIL, probably not as much as SDBison, but it's not gonna go away. Get busy living or get busy dying.

I'm with RTO....it is what it is and we either figure this out, or become second rung. SDBison will get there as he is a real Bison fan.

daddy daycare
08-01-2023, 08:25 PM
No thanks!

Always helping out in that FBS push.

heffray
08-01-2023, 08:30 PM
I just listened. The segment is heavy on getting people excited for it but pretty light on details on how it will work, and for good reason -- it's still very new with a lot of work and development to be done by Jay and his team. Sounds like just getting the word out and the website functioning are the highest priorities.

That’s Damn Right.

KSBisonFan
08-01-2023, 11:39 PM

Agreed. I thought it was interesting when Jay talked about contacts he's used to get this started, especially the University of Michigan guy (and others) who've lent advice. Made me confident this isn't some thrown together project. I also hate the portal and NIL, but if it helps retain and recruit kids that our coaches invest time and resources into, then so be it.

NDSU92
08-02-2023, 12:20 AM
Agreed. I thought it was interesting when Jay talked about contacts he's used to get this started, especially the University of Michigan guy (and others) who've lent advice. Made me confident this isn't some thrown together project. I also hate the portal and NIL, but if it helps retain and recruit kids that our coaches invest time and resources into, then so be it.

Absolutely. Don’t have to like it to be able to understand how important it can be.

I’m not a fan of NIL but if it gives us a way to further leverage our outstanding fan base, community and donors, I say we give ‘em hell…

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2023, 01:18 PM

My favorite part is they are going to structure the contracts so they will miss a big payment is they enter the portal. That is very smart. Now, another collective could simply offer enough to overcome that, but this is certainly going to help with those guys who are not P5 talents.

Another wrinkle I thought about after listening to Jay, is what will this do to help with recruiting for partial ride guys coming in? If they can't have contact with the coaches, will they know who they are? Can they perhaps give them more?

bisoneer
08-02-2023, 01:34 PM
Congrats to Jay and all responsible for setting up this NIL COllective. This will do well here with many Fargoans willing to donate IMO. Should help secure longer term players for rosters in all sports at NDSU.

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2023, 03:02 PM
Congrats to Jay and all responsible for setting up this NIL COllective. This will do well here with many Fargoans willing to donate IMO. Should help secure longer term players for rosters in all sports at NDSU.

Jay made it sound like he is hopeful his best success with be outside Fargo since much of the TM donations come from season ticket sales.

NDSU92
08-02-2023, 03:09 PM
Jay made it sound like he is hopeful his best success with be outside Fargo since much of the TM donations come from season ticket sales.

I and a few others I know fall into this category. Donating to a players collective is much more attractive to me than just dumping more money into Teammakers.

BISONBRI53
08-02-2023, 04:08 PM
I and a few others I know fall into this category. Donating to a players collective is much more attractive to me than just dumping more money into Teammakers.

Kind of my thought as well. I wonder if Teamakers will take a hit because of this...

THEsocalledfan
08-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Kind of my thought as well. I wonder if Teamakers will take a hit because of this...

They are all concerned about this, but Jay says this is not typically what the high major programs are seeing.

NDSU92
08-02-2023, 05:10 PM

I can only speak for myself and those I’ve had conversations with. None of us plan on reducing our Teammakers contributions.

Bison03
08-02-2023, 06:50 PM
He mentioned that he in no way wants this to affect Teammakers. Saying to the effect if someone was no donating 50k to teammakers, they shouldn’t just split the donation to tm and this mil collective. It should be in addition too, or for people who do. Ot donate at all. Totally agree. Teammakers will always be important as that pays for scholarships.

GOB1SON
08-02-2023, 06:52 PM
I can only speak for myself and those I’ve had conversations with. None of us plan on reducing our Teammakers contributions.

What % of TM donations are tied to seat fees for FB? Doubt anyone is gonna give up their season ticket to support NIL.

bisonaudit
08-02-2023, 07:04 PM
What % of TM donations are tied to seat fees for FB? Doubt anyone is gonna give up their season ticket to support NIL.

Has to be a huge percentage. Over $5 million in Teammakers potential from scholarship level seats alone. Another $2+ million potential from the rest.

BISONBRI53
08-02-2023, 07:43 PM

There are a lot of people out there though who are not happy with Teammakers... There are a bunch on here...

KSBisonFan
08-02-2023, 07:46 PM
There are a lot of people out there though who are not happy with Teammakers... There are a bunch on here...

As an out of state Teammaker, can you say why people aren't happy? Serious question.

BISONBRI53
08-02-2023, 07:53 PM
As an out of state Teammaker, can you say why people aren't happy? Serious question.

I have heard many things from the people I know. Pricing is the big one. Communication, or lack of... Not there anymore but Simmers. Priority points. Many things i have heard and talked to about with people. I am sure I will get flamed on...

Professor Chaos
08-02-2023, 08:03 PM
Making the entire west tailgate lot reserved pissed off a lot of people and tailgating has taken a hit because of it (a lot of empty spots week after week - will probably be even worse this year with the crummy home schedule).

Son of a Bison
08-02-2023, 08:30 PM
Tailgating will be way down this year. Too many rules for problems that don’t exist and never did. Bunch of people camped and tented in the west lots for Fargo Blues Festival with no problems. Having first come spots gave newbies chance to get started. Now some just park in farther west lot so can walk to the closer west lot. Sadly, know more people that have gotten out of tailgating than in.

Making the entire west tailgate lot reserved pissed off a lot of people and tailgating has taken a hit because of it (a lot of empty spots week after week - will probably be even worse this year with the crummy home schedule).

reformedUNDfan
08-02-2023, 08:51 PM
They tried banning dogs at tailgating.

NDSU92
08-02-2023, 08:59 PM
For me personally, as an out of state person teammaker dollars don’t get me much.

NIL doesn’t personally get me much either (although I would love to see swag, opportunities for special access, etc.), but I do feel my $ will have way more leverage in the recruiting and retention game than just giving to Teammakers. That’s more fun to me.

Teammakers is still just as important and is the backbone of the program, IMO.

GreenfieldBison
08-02-2023, 09:18 PM
Tailgating will be way down this year. Too many rules for problems that don’t exist and never did. Bunch of people camped and tented in the west lots for Fargo Blues Festival with no problems. Having first come spots gave newbies chance to get started. Now some just park in farther west lot so can walk to the closer west lot. Sadly, know more people that have gotten out of tailgating than in.

Just an FYI - blues festivals tend to attract "non-problem" type people. For example, the Bayfront Blues Festival in Duluth attracts all the most senior Duluth Police Dept. officers who save up their overtime to work that festival because there is absolutely nothing for them to do but show the uniform.

Except that one year with that really cute blonde officer. I made her give me a hug. She thought it was because of the uniform. Funny. (No doubt the joke is on me, she was/is probably gay. No matter though - I enjoyed the hug either way)

HerdBot
08-03-2023, 01:12 AM
I listened to Jay on both Hot Mic and Bison 1660

Boy is he the perfect guy for the job. He is a passionate fan with a business accumen. He just gets it. He understands you cant rob Teammakers or the whole thing falls apart.
He is looking to attract big donors and even alumni who live out of state. His goals are big. Maybe biggger than we realize

I didnt realize his grandfather was an original founder of Team makers. Here's a chance to build your own Bison legacy!

Hot Mic - https://hotmicwithdomizzo.libsyn.com/08-01-2023-mike-mcfeely-and-jay-bartley

https://www.bison1660.com/on-air/

Hammerhead
08-03-2023, 02:15 AM
I became a Team Maker in 2013 when we lived in Oregon and I think we got a window decal for the car in the shape of Oregon if I'm remembering correctly. I suppose the priority points did help me get tickets to games through NDSU at Kansas State and Iowa even though we only give $100 - $200 per year with a few smaller donations here and there.

For me personally, as an out of state person teammaker dollars don’t get me much.

NIL doesn’t personally get me much either (although I would love to see swag, opportunities for special access, etc.), but I do feel my $ will have way more leverage in the recruiting and retention game than just giving to Teammakers. That’s more fun to me.

Teammakers is still just as important and is the backbone of the program, IMO.

El_Chapo
08-03-2023, 03:08 AM

well aren't we forced to give to teammakers via the ticket donation scheme..?? that ain't changing I'd guess.

and Jay watches this board so feel free to PM.him or contact him with questions or concerns
I'll gladly help out.

daddy daycare
08-03-2023, 11:44 AM
Bartley made it clear with Izzo if he's splitting teammakers money, this is a failure.

SlickVic
08-03-2023, 01:08 PM
I listened to Jay on both Hot Mic and Bison 1660

Boy is he the perfect guy for the job. He is a passionate fan with a business accumen. He just gets it. He understands you cant rob Teammakers or the whole thing falls apart.
He is looking to attract big donors and even alumni who live out of state. His goals are big. Maybe biggger than we realize

I didnt realize his grandfather was an original founder of Team makers. Here's a chance to build your own Bison legacy!

Hot Mic - https://hotmicwithdomizzo.libsyn.com/08-01-2023-mike-mcfeely-and-jay-bartley

https://www.bison1660.com/on-air/

totally agree with all this ++++++++++ bartley aka the BIG SHOW well done my frend!

Professor Chaos
08-03-2023, 04:33 PM
It would be easy for first-timers to tailgate if the people who held spots but never used them would bother to try to sell their spots. Or if the people who were looking to do it knew of where to look when those tailgate spots are put up for sale. Just seems like the tailgate pass exchange system is broken.

SlickVic
08-03-2023, 08:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XamC7-Pt8N0

was this (above) j.bartley at the founding of "the collective"? i agree with chaos the first order of buisness needs to be re-estableshment of RAIN FOREST to PUMP the PEOPLE UP for FBS and last but not least declare no later than 1-1-24 FBS INDEPENDENT STATUS

56BISON73
08-03-2023, 08:23 PM
It would be easy for first-timers to tailgate if the people who held spots but never used them would bother to try to sell their spots. Or if the people who were looking to do it knew of where to look when those tailgate spots are put up for sale. Just seems like the tailgate pass exchange system is broken.

There are general admission spots so people dont have to over think this.

El_Chapo
08-04-2023, 04:24 PM
the Green and Gold Collective should be able to contact Gloria at Mountain West for a chat correct? hmmmm

BigHorns
08-04-2023, 11:52 PM
the Green and Gold Collective should be able to contact Gloria at Mountain West for a chat correct? hmmmm

Gloria doesn't make any decisions, the member schools do.

We need to hope by some miracle PAC exists a year from now and only adds a handful of MWC schools, so they also exist and aren't left with crumbs. Having NIL isn't a factor in the least. Unfortunately where this lands is completely out of our control.

The_Sicatoka
08-10-2023, 07:54 PM
And now the IRS chimes in on such matters.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/38163983/texas-12th-man+-fund-discontinuing-nil-operation

TAILG8R
08-10-2023, 08:06 PM
And now the IRS chimes in on such matters.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/38163983/texas-12th-man+-fund-discontinuing-nil-operation

This was already established knowledge. It was one reason cited by Jay as to why he was happy to be starting now instead of a year ago.

HerdBot
09-10-2023, 07:37 PM
https://www.spreaker.com/user/big987fm/bison-kickoff-show-week-2

Swany talks with Jay Bartley about the upcoming collective. He also said a partnership has been made with a company (Grey Goose?) that produces a light beer and a vodka drink that a large percentage of the sales go to the collective

He said the website should be up and running soon with small payment options, up to $10 a month to $1000 a month.

Good listen

56BISON73
09-10-2023, 08:24 PM
https://www.spreaker.com/user/big987fm/bison-kickoff-show-week-2

Swany talks with Jay Bartley about the upcoming collective. He also said a partnership has been made with a company (Grey Goose?) that produces a light beer and a vodka drink that a large percentage of the sales go to the collective

He said the website should be up and running soon with small payment options, up to $10 a month to $1000 a month.

Good listen

Grey Duck...

El_Chapo
09-10-2023, 10:53 PM
that's Chad Greenways company

HerdBot
10-07-2023, 06:46 PM
Jay Bartley is getting his own radio show on 740 The Fan
https://www.facebook.com/100063748474009/posts/811954514272824/

El_Chapo
10-07-2023, 06:51 PM
Jay Bartley is getting his own radio show on 740 The Fan
https://www.facebook.com/100063748474009/posts/811954514272824/

why give the "UND station in fargo " anything. how dumb

bisonaudit
10-07-2023, 06:57 PM
why give the "UND station in fargo " anything. how dumb

Are we giving the station something or are we taking something from a rival?

NDSU92
10-07-2023, 07:04 PM
Are they ever going to make this thing? I’m sitting here waiting to donate. I thought they were going to launch before the first game?

HerdBot
10-13-2023, 06:23 PM
The website is live

https://thegreenandthegold.com/

Looks good but it needs links to the social media sites

Professor Chaos
10-13-2023, 07:36 PM
Nice! Looking at the perks of the membership tiers it probably explains why it took a while to get this up and going. Some very cool things in those lists: https://thegreenandthegold.com/donate/

mtoutfitter
10-14-2023, 02:56 PM
The website is live

https://thegreenandthegold.com/

Looks good but it needs links to the social media sites

All entered up!

tony
11-22-2023, 05:31 PM
There's a link to the the Green and Gold Collective up on top now... I had a couple missteps getting even that poor effort working. I'm guessing there'll be a better graphic later that looks more like a normal advertisement rather than just a logo.

TAILG8R
11-22-2023, 05:35 PM
There's a link to the the Green and Gold Collective up on top now... I had a couple missteps getting even that poor effort working. I'm guessing there'll be a better graphic later that looks more like a normal advertisement rather than just a logo.

Note: Ad blockers are hiding this logo and link

tony
11-22-2023, 05:37 PM

Well, poop.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-22-2023, 05:38 PM

Might have to do with your own computer settings... I'm able to access it just fine.

tony
11-22-2023, 06:15 PM
Might have to do with your own computer settings... I'm able to access it just fine.

Yeah, I think it's browser settings, but to be a good internet citizen, I believe I have to correctly identify ads as ads.

That said, I did add an announcement to each forum about G&G. I welcome feedback on that.

El_Chapo
11-22-2023, 06:36 PM
Props the GnG collection!!!

totoinfl
11-22-2023, 07:10 PM
Is that a picture of Entz from high school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenfieldBison
11-22-2023, 08:01 PM
I was wondering what that was!

LefseBison
11-22-2023, 08:07 PM

i would be interested in donating to this once things are up and running. I hope we can keep updated. I wonder what an average donation would be.

THEsocalledfan
11-23-2023, 07:58 PM
i would be interested in donating to this once things are up and running. I hope we can keep updated. I wonder what an average donation would be.

It is up and running....

unbison
11-23-2023, 10:10 PM
I joined pretty seamless

heffray
11-23-2023, 10:36 PM
Is that a picture of Entz from high school?

Before he started chain-smokin reds…

HerdBot
11-25-2023, 02:06 AM
NIL is huge. I heard on the radio that Grant Nelson got 650k in cash. That's what we are competing against.

56BISON73
11-25-2023, 02:14 AM
NIL is huge. I heard on the radio that Grant Nelson got 650k in cash. That's what we are competing against.

We arent competing with that. Its out of our league. Now multiply that by 5 as a minimum. We are going to competing with second tier schools.

HerdBot
11-25-2023, 04:33 AM
We arent competing with that. Its out of our league. Now multiply that by 5 as a minimum. We are going to competing with second tier schools.

Agree but that still takes resources

unbison
11-30-2023, 04:41 PM
I urge everyone to join for whatever you can
It’s like a pbs telethon
Except your not donating for Elmo

Your Donating for BISON athletics

THEsocalledfan
11-30-2023, 04:55 PM
Very interesting article. This gets at the heart of what Jay has said that this has to be new money to make it work. I would think our donor base in deeper and more mature than Coastal?

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/coastal-carolina-first-nil-collective-100000760.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEaecM--SOQM9fYoyzNvHVt5eI2qsGJVL2zLDjRxzA2dLiQVnXOB85JwNb OY1KHxaRpIP9S-GlsSDx1oXM-n966npg4D1kyhT57Wq66APKN1zxItdWcWHQoTW27yzNoPE-HOJ-RDZJL18KtX7YA6hQWXijccTIcn-ENLj3bhiNAk

HerdBot
11-30-2023, 10:15 PM
Very interesting article. This gets at the heart of what Jay has said that this has to be new money to make it work. I would think our donor base in deeper and more mature than Coastal?

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/coastal-carolina-first-nil-collective-100000760.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEaecM--SOQM9fYoyzNvHVt5eI2qsGJVL2zLDjRxzA2dLiQVnXOB85JwNb OY1KHxaRpIP9S-GlsSDx1oXM-n966npg4D1kyhT57Wq66APKN1zxItdWcWHQoTW27yzNoPE-HOJ-RDZJL18KtX7YA6hQWXijccTIcn-ENLj3bhiNAk

Really interesting read. But I think a team like NDSU that has generational fanbases going back to the 60s can't be compared to a newer program like Coastal. Jay understands it wont work if you rob Peter to pay Paul

Jay
11-30-2023, 10:45 PM
I urge everyone to join for whatever you can
It’s like a pbs telethon
Except your not donating for Elmo

Your Donating for BISON athletics

Agreed. Super simple, as low as $10/mo, first event since signing up this coming Sunday.

TAILG8R
12-01-2023, 12:09 AM
Really interesting read. But I think a team like NDSU that has generational fanbases going back to the 60s can't be compared to a newer program like Coastal. Jay understands it wont work if you rob Peter to pay Paul

I’ve breezed through it twice. Does it mention fan’s shifting money from traditional fundraising to NIL?

It sounds to me like they simple don’t have enough people that want to give $$ to make an NIL collective work.