PDA

View Full Version : 2024 Verbal: Coy Okeson

DM05
06-15-2023, 02:03 PM
https://twitter.com/coy_okeson/status/1669172256721850373?s=46&t=0pMmpwTosVheWFV40S7MeQ

Kevin
06-15-2023, 02:31 PM
this feels like a big deal bros will someone in the know pls confirm big deal thx

runtheoption
06-15-2023, 02:41 PM
this feels like a big deal bros will someone in the know pls confirm big deal thx

It is a very big deal and Izzo has an article on this in the Forum. Chose us over a Nebraska offer. Also won the heavyweight state championship in February as a junior and took 2nd as a sophomore to....AJ HEINS! Gotta love those heavyweights coming on board as lineman.

Since he from ND, I'm sure this is a terrible signing, Hoople, 1 star, etc.....

Bisonator98
06-15-2023, 02:48 PM
This is a huge get! 3 big ND farm kids with him, Tastad and Heins on the line gonna motor grade!!

tony
06-15-2023, 02:52 PM
His photo looks like something an AI graphics program would create if you gave it the prompt "offensive lineman from 1980's Nebraska championship team."

Gotta love that wrestling background.

Kevin
06-15-2023, 04:09 PM
big deal confirmed

El_Chapo
06-15-2023, 05:51 PM
Wyoming still trying to get our ND guys, good offers.. Who's our Minot guy on here for more info...

bruinbison
06-15-2023, 06:54 PM
Forum article on Coy Okeson

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-football-lands-another-homegrown-offensive-lineman-in-minots-okeson

Okeson had just camped with the Gophers last weekend, so I was relieved they didn’t offer. I believe they have 19 or so commits already, so that may have helped NDSU’s chances.

Before this commit, Okeson was unrated by 247.
Since the announcement he has been promoted to a 2 star, 4th ranked prospect in ND. Rivals has him as a 3 star.
Other offers included Nebraska, Wyoming, Air Force.

https://247sports.com/player/coy-okeson-46137357/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/16615801/Coy-Okeson

AKBison
06-16-2023, 12:26 AM
Great kid from a great family. He's got a little brother that's not so little anymore as well so I'm sure we are watching him.

KingLarryO
12-25-2023, 02:11 PM
Coy's "little" brother Cade was First team all state D-line
Nates brother Brett was also all state, I love recruits having all state brothers following them

Gully
12-25-2023, 04:40 PM
Great kid from a great family. He's got a little brother that's not so little anymore as well so I'm sure we are watching him.

I think there used to be Okesons from Tolley, ND. Good basketball players in the 1980s. Not sure if spelled the same or any relation.

garbageman
12-25-2023, 07:33 PM
I think there used to be Okesons from Tolley, ND. Good basketball players in the 1980s. Not sure if spelled the same or any relation.

Larry is Coys dad and Lance would be his uncle. They played for the Tolley Tigers in mid 80’s

bruinbison
12-25-2023, 09:10 PM
https://www.kfyrtv.com/2023/12/21/servpro-athlete-week-bishop-ryans-coy-okeson/?outputType=amp

Well done on this feature!
Interesting story

Gully
12-25-2023, 10:17 PM
Larry is Coys dad and Lance would be his uncle. They played for the Tolley Tigers in mid 80’s

Ah thanks, they were good. I remember the tiny gym/quonset there had the 3 point line on the other side of the half court line, if I remember correctly.

God I'm old.

garbageman
12-25-2023, 10:33 PM
Ah thanks, they were good. I remember the tiny gym/quonset there had the 3 point line on the other side of the half court line, if I remember correctly.

God I'm old.

Yup and couldn’t shoot 3’s from the sides

NDSU_grad
12-29-2023, 05:41 AM
Coy’s the number 1 seed at the Rumble on the Red, which started Thursday. He’s pinned his way to the semi’s so far. Be a pretty impressive accomplishment for his wrestling career.

AKBison
12-29-2023, 11:02 PM
Coy’s the number 1 seed at the Rumble on the Red, which started Thursday. He’s pinned his way to the semi’s so far. Be a pretty impressive accomplishment for his wrestling career.

Pretty sure he was the champ last year. Looks like he came up short in the finals this year though. Heck of an athlete and great kid.

scottietohottie
12-30-2023, 02:34 PM
I was just coming here to see if the rumble on the red was today too.

Bishop Ryan boys basketball plays North Prairie tonight. Might be a little Coy vs Nate if Coy plays tonight.

scottietohottie
12-30-2023, 07:52 PM
Coy is playing Nate right now. Daughters at the game. Said he's got tats! Ryan leading.

scottietohottie
12-30-2023, 08:15 PM
Coy and bishop Ryan beat Nate and north prairie 57 to 24. North prairie lost their point guard playing qb this fall. Knee.

KyleK
12-30-2023, 08:46 PM
Coy is playing Nate right now. Daughters at the game. Said he's got tats! Ryan leading.

https://x.com/bcw117/status/1741200272922226730?s=46&t=a89X5zr8Q4GrZGoCkZ3bZQ

bruinbison
02-16-2024, 11:26 AM
https://www.inforum.com/sports/prep/local-grapplers-advance-to-championship-bouts-on-day-1-of-nd-high-school-state-wrestling-tournament

NDSU football commit Coy Okeson of Bishop Ryan and Velva’s Carson Hildre both look to win their second straight state titles as well at 285 pounds and 145 pounds.

NDSU_grad
02-16-2024, 12:13 PM
https://www.inforum.com/sports/prep/local-grapplers-advance-to-championship-bouts-on-day-1-of-nd-high-school-state-wrestling-tournament
Coy not winning the 285 title this year would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the ND state wrestling tournament. That’s how dominant he’s been this year.

runtheoption
02-16-2024, 03:20 PM
Probable state wrestling champion on Saturday and Minot Ryan is favored to make it to state in basketball out of their region. Heckuva winter for Coy if this all comes together over the next 3 weeks.

runtheoption
02-16-2024, 08:02 PM
Coy not winning the 285 title this year would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the ND state wrestling tournament. That’s how dominant he’s been this year.

Pinned his 3 opponents yesterday in 1:14, 0:14, and 0:38.

3 matches, wrestled for a total of 2 minutes and 6 seconds.

KSBisonFan
02-16-2024, 08:11 PM

Meh. That's not very good time of possession....

tony
02-16-2024, 11:35 PM

Holy snack tarts!

NDSU_grad
02-16-2024, 11:59 PM
Coy needed all three periods in the championship match but he repeats as a state champ!

southcliffbison
02-17-2024, 01:02 PM
Coy needed all three periods in the championship match but he repeats as a state champ!

If Coy's opponent lasted three rounds against him, perhaps the opponent is someone worth recruiting also. Gotta be a pretty tough dude.

bruinbison
02-17-2024, 01:50 PM
If Coy's opponent lasted three rounds against him, perhaps the opponent is someone worth recruiting also. Gotta be a pretty tough dude.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/prep/ndsu-football-commit-coy-okeson-honors-late-brother-with-repeat-north-dakota-state-wrestling-title?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Ben Roundy - Killdeer - was the other finalist at 285

ByeSonBusiness
02-17-2024, 05:18 PM

Is that more about the lack of competition or him being that good?

Quality in ND is often not evenly distributed, at least between the classes.

scottietohottie
02-17-2024, 05:23 PM

He picked the other heavyweight up off his feet in the finals. He's that good. I think he would have won class A this year too eh.

ByeSonBusiness
02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
He picked the other heavyweight up off his feet in the finals. He's that good. I think he would have won class A this year too eh.

Just from looking at the brackets it looked like class A lacked standouts. Wasn't overly impressed watching the finals either.

Picking up a guy that big is a good sign though for sure lol

Biggest championship upsets i recall off the top of my head were Steve Klamm beating Darren Hohbein at 125 I think....maybe 2007?

And Chris Bahm beating Michael Nord at 145 in 2010. Some kid from Oakes beating a some multi-champ from Wishek in 2007 was pretty big too. I just forget the names. Time flies.

NDSU_grad
02-17-2024, 07:13 PM

I’d say primarily the lack of competition. North Dakota high school wrestling,IMO, is pretty good considering the low population, but there’s generally not a ton of quality depth at the upper weights. I think Coy would be an extremely good d2 wrestler, but would have some struggles at the d1 level.
If you look at the top heavyweights in d1 they were outside linebackers in football, not oline. Just speaks to their athleticism. .

tony
02-17-2024, 08:03 PM
https://www.inforum.com/sports/prep/ndsu-football-commit-coy-okeson-honors-late-brother-with-repeat-north-dakota-state-wrestling-title?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Ben Roundy - Killdeer - was the other finalist at 285

Some tough kids up Killdeer way.

mtoutfitter
02-17-2024, 09:06 PM
Some tough kids up Killdeer way.

Chew tobacca, chew tobacca, chew tobacca spit! If you ain't a cowboy you ain't shit!! Old school chant I remember from my yrs in Killdeer.

ByeSonBusiness
02-18-2024, 06:19 AM
I’d say primarily the lack of competition. North Dakota high school wrestling,IMO, is pretty good considering the low population, but there’s generally not a ton of quality depth at the upper weights. I think Coy would be an extremely good d2 wrestler, but would have some struggles at the d1 level.
If you look at the top heavyweights in d1 they were outside linebackers in football, not oline. Just speaks to their athleticism. .

Always gonna be tough to get a strong 285 class. Just not enough bodies like you were getting at.

I think out 125-170ish range is probably pretty solid. That 5x champ from Bismarck going to Nebraska is superb. Sad hes not gonna be a Bison

scottietohottie
02-18-2024, 12:41 PM

I'm pretty sure sdsu has a multiple time state champ on their line....

But yeah I'm not saying Coy could wrestle d1. He's not fat. I was told he's actually lost weight playing basketball. About 250. So he's got some work to do. I'm sure him playing basketball on a ranked team in ND doesn't say anything about his athleticism either eh. Killdeer had a heavy weight who played ball too years ago. Old Bison business can remember 2007 and loves sucking class a dick. Ndsu grad are you my velva guy? Lolz.

The 160 lbs wrestler from killdeer was the real deal eh. Bombach.

ByeSonBusiness
02-18-2024, 05:03 PM

But yeah I'm not saying Coy could wrestle d1. He's not fat. I was told he's actually lost weight playing basketball. About 250. So he's got some work to do. I'm sure him playing basketball on a ranked team in ND doesn't say anything about his athleticism either eh. Killdeer had a heavy weight who played ball too years ago. Old Bison business can remember 2007 and loves sucking class a dick. Ndsu grad are you my velva guy? Lolz.

Scottie has that Class B small dick complex! I lived in Napoleon for years! Nothing but love for my hick brothers and sisters

NDSU_grad
02-21-2024, 12:16 PM

Not from Velva but I know their head coach pretty well and my youngest wrestled with quite a few of their kids in Rattlers.

scottietohottie
02-21-2024, 12:35 PM
Scottie has that Class B small dick complex! I lived in Napoleon for years! Nothing but love for my hick brothers and sisters

The McClearys mom is from Rolla! Probably why they wrestled so well!

scottietohottie
03-15-2024, 01:48 AM
He's playing bros. Lost his man and got a 3 buried in his ass but playing eh. Wday Xtra