PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Preseason rankings

BigHorns
05-24-2023, 10:15 PM
Athlons top 25 preseason
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2023

Analyst rankings here
https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/01/fcs-football-never-too-early-top-10-and-sneak-peek-to-the-2023-season/

Hero Sports top 25
https://herosports.com/herder-2023-fcs-preseason-top-25-bzbz/

Thus far, we seem to be the consensus preseason #2.
I'd be happy if we can live up to that, get a top 2 seed, and return to Frisco.

CaBisonFan
05-24-2023, 11:26 PM
Athlons top 25 preseason
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2023

Analyst rankings here
https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/01/fcs-football-never-too-early-top-10-and-sneak-peek-to-the-2023-season/

Hero Sports top 25
https://herosports.com/herder-2023-fcs-preseason-top-25-bzbz/

Thus far, we seem to be the consensus preseason #2.
I'd be happy if we can live up to that, get a top 2 seed, and return to Frisco.. That all seems about right. Man... we lost some real talent to graduation though. Something like 9 guys are getting looks in the NFL.

Professor Chaos
05-24-2023, 11:56 PM
. That all seems about right. Man... we lost some real talent to graduation though. Something like 9 guys are getting looks in the NFL.
And a good number of would be starters transferred to play elsewhere. By my count they'll only have 8 of 22 starters back and those losses don't include guys like Dom Jones and Marques Sigle who weren't starters last year but would've been this year.

mtoutfitter
05-25-2023, 12:29 AM
And a good number of would be starters transferred to play elsewhere. By my count they'll only have 8 of 22 starters back and those losses don't include guys like Dom Jones and Marques Sigle who weren't starters last year but would've been this year.

How do you figure only 8? There's that many just on offense. All of the O Lineman have started at least 7 or 8 eight games a piece. Add in C Miller, T Williams and Mathis. Stoeffel has also started a lot.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
05-25-2023, 12:29 AM
And a good number of would be starters transferred to play elsewhere. By my count they'll only have 8 of 22 starters back and those losses don't include guys like Dom Jones and Marques Sigle who weren't starters last year but would've been this year.Maybe now instead of speculating that the recruiting has been down, we will actually find out. My money is on: the recruiting has been just as good as in the past.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
05-25-2023, 12:36 AM
How do you figure only 8? There's that many just on offense. All of the O Lineman have started at least 7 or 8 eight games a piece. Add in C Miller, T Williams and Mathis. Stoeffel has also started a lot.At least 7 back on offense alone and another 5 on defense depending on what you consider a starter.

mtoutfitter
05-25-2023, 02:05 AM
At least 7 back on offense alone and another 5 on defense depending on what you consider a starter.

I would consider Moestart, Moestart, Darriett, Wisneiwski, Werts, Kubitz and Price all starters on D. Along with Huisman, Duttenhefer and Kava having a lot of reps.

TAILG8R
05-25-2023, 02:27 AM
At least 7 back on offense alone and another 5 on defense depending on what you consider a starter.

Seemed pretty clear to me the Kopp should have been a started last year.

I’m not nearly worried about the skill of our players as I am the ability of our coaches to get the best product on the field week in and week out. And that means personnel, play calling, team unity, everything.

I’m hopeful though. Don’t want to sound like a Debbie downer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
05-25-2023, 02:50 AM
How do you figure only 8? There's that many just on offense. All of the O Lineman have started at least 7 or 8 eight games a piece. Add in C Miller, T Williams and Mathis. Stoeffel has also started a lot.
Going off of who was starting when healthy the returning starters on offense: Miller, Mathis, Sundell, Poncius. On defense: E Mostaert, Derritt, Weerts/Kubitz, Wisniewski. I guess you could count Price too but seemed like Talbert and Eubanks were the starters.

However you want to slice it there was a ton of experience lost off last year's team. They'll need guys to step up at multiple positions to avoid a drop off and Cam Miller needs to take that next step.

mtoutfitter
05-25-2023, 02:55 AM
Going off of who was starting when healthy the returning starters on offense: Miller, Mathis, Sundell, Poncius. On defense: E Mostaert, Derritt, Weerts/Kubitz, Wisniewski. I guess you could count Price too but seemed like Talbert and Eubanks were the starters.

However you want to slice it there was a ton of experience lost off last year's team. They'll need guys to step up at multiple positions to avoid a drop off and Cam Miller needs to take that next step.

Didn't know Poncious ever started? What about Kubas? Believe Zabel started all yr as well. Westburg started at least 3 games the season prior as well as 6 or 7 games last yr.

TAILG8R
05-25-2023, 03:09 AM

I think the biggest thing that needs to happen this year is Miller playing better. I think he’s better than a lot give him credit for but my god he had some TERRIBLE games throwing. I still think he can be a really good QB but he’s running out of time to show it imo.

Professor Chaos
05-25-2023, 01:26 PM
I think the biggest thing that needs to happen this year is Miller playing better. I think he’s better than a lot give him credit for but my gos he had some TERRIBLE games throwing. I still think he can be a really good QB but he’s running out of time to show it imo.

Agreed... I think the coaches need to help him out too by giving him more easy throws on the early downs. I was pretty disgusted last year when he made a comment in the post-game after the semifinal (when he went 1-12 or something like that) that he told the coaches to use his legs since he didn't have any confidence in his arm. That's not what a QB towards the end of his 3rd year starting should be saying and, if he does, the coaches need to figure out how to give him some confidence.

I think it's tough to be a QB in NDSU's system, especially since Entz took over, because you get so few chances to throw the ball it's hard to get/stay in rhythm as a passer. It's like a shooter in basketball - the only way to break out of a slump is to keep shooting but it helps to get some easy ones like layups and free throws. For a QB the layup and free throw type throws are first/second down play action when the defense is triple geared to stop the run. Without a more diverse offense I'm pretty sure the 2023 Bison take a step backwards.

Didn't know Poncious ever started? What about Kubas? Believe Zabel started all yr as well. Westburg started at least 3 games the season prior as well as 6 or 7 games last yr.
Sorry, I meant Mason Miller at RT before he got hurt against SIU. Is Kubas back? that would be another then... I get so mixed up by these guys listed as seniors two years in a row with the COVID years. Zabel and Westberg only started due to injuries to Miller and Sundell I believe.

BigHorns
05-25-2023, 06:56 PM
Agreed... I think the coaches need to help him out too by giving him more easy throws on the early downs. I was pretty disgusted last year when he made a comment in the post-game after the semifinal (when he went 1-12 or something like that) that he told the coaches to use his legs since he didn't have any confidence in his arm. That's not what a QB towards the end of his 3rd year starting should be saying and, if he does, the coaches need to figure out how to give him some confidence.

I think it's tough to be a QB in NDSU's system, especially since Entz took over, because you get so few chances to throw the ball it's hard to get/stay in rhythm as a passer. It's like a shooter in basketball - the only way to break out of a slump is to keep shooting but it helps to get some easy ones like layups and free throws. For a QB the layup and free throw type throws are first/second down play action when the defense is triple geared to stop the run. Without a more diverse offense I'm pretty sure the 2023 Bison take a step backwards.

You seem to be blaming the system for performance issues. But that same system has worked well for many years now. We've won plenty of rings with this system.

Maybe it's more about the players we have now, or the way the coaches are approaching it with practice, training and other aspects. Honestly, I do wonder sometimes if we've taken a small step back on the coaching side.

BISONBRI53
05-25-2023, 07:04 PM
You seem to be blaming the system for performance issues. But that same system has worked well for many years now. We've won plenty of rings with this system.

Maybe it's more about the players we have now, or the way the coaches are approaching it with practice, training and other aspects. Honestly, I do wonder sometimes if we've taken a small step back on the coaching side.

This year will tell. Talent is not the same that won championships under Entz... Can he coach? Can TR coach? Can the new DC coach?

Professor Chaos
05-25-2023, 07:17 PM

Could be the players - we did enjoy pro caliber QBs for nearly 10 straight years (Jensen definitely didn't start off like one). Although Cam Miller was very efficient last year with a 66% completion percentage and QB rating of nearly 150 but he only had 243 pass attempts in 15 games (~16 per game) - that's at least 3 pass attempts per game fewer than any other year with this same system. One dimensional offenses are easier to defend than diverse offenses and when they match up against defenses they can't simply overpower (like they will in Brookings this year) they need to have some way to keep defenses honest.

KSBisonFan
05-25-2023, 08:41 PM
Our defense is my concern. Secondary especially.

BISONBRI53
05-25-2023, 09:14 PM
Our defense is my concern. Secondary especially.

Our offense isn't a concern to you? I'd be worried about the defense because they won't be able to stay off the field! MEATHEAD FOOTBALL!!!!!!

heffray
05-25-2023, 09:27 PM
Seemed pretty clear to me the Kopp should have been a started last year.

I’m not nearly worried about the skill of our players as I am the ability of our coaches to get the best product on the field week in and week out. And that means personnel, play calling, team unity, everything.

I’m hopeful though. Don’t want to sound like a Debbie downer.

I co-sign this post.

heffray
05-25-2023, 09:30 PM

I disagree. Our playcalling was different under Roehl than with our other OCs. We are run-first, yes, but adjustments are not there and Roehl’s rings benefited from some pretty dynamic QB runners.

KSBisonFan
05-25-2023, 09:51 PM
Our offense isn't a concern to you? I'd be worried about the defense because they won't be able to stay off the field! MEATHEAD FOOTBALL!!!!!!

The offense is definitely a concern, especially the lack of imagination in our playcalling and using the middle of the field in the passing game. The offense didn't do any favors for the defense last season, but the defense repeatedly couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs, and they had plenty of chances. Someone needs to become a leader of the defense and it needs to happen fast.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
05-25-2023, 10:32 PM
Our defense is my concern. Secondary especially.Maybe we should actually see them play first before being concerned.

heffray
05-25-2023, 11:07 PM
The offense is definitely a concern, especially the lack of imagination in our playcalling and using the middle of the field in the passing game. The offense didn't do any favors for the defense last season, but the defense repeatedly couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs, and they had plenty of chances. Someone needs to become a leader of the defense and it needs to happen fast.

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Kevin
05-26-2023, 03:52 PM
If tackling doesn't improve drastically this year I'm going to lose what's left of my hair bro.

KSBisonFan
05-26-2023, 06:45 PM
Maybe we should actually see them play first before being concerned.

Our defense was not championship caliber last year and we lost a lot of key players, especially in the secondary. Watching them play that brutally tough early portion of the schedule probably isn't going to tell us much as it relates to beating the bunnies.

SDbison
05-27-2023, 12:14 AM
Our defense was not championship caliber last year and we lost a lot of key players, especially in the secondary. Watching them play that brutally tough early portion of the schedule probably isn't going to tell us much as it relates to beating the bunnies. I agree, the defense is a big concern and so is the offense. Not impressed with Cam until he puts the team on his back and delivers a close game victory against a tough opponent. That terrible game against Incarnate Word last year makes me doubt his abilities. Like to see Cole Peyton play an entire game.

SDbison
05-27-2023, 12:18 AM
One of the biggest areas of decline with NDSU football is coaching and recruiting. If anyone here thinks these are not issues then they are viewing through green and gold goggles!

heffray
05-27-2023, 12:38 AM
One of the biggest areas of decline with NDSU football is coaching and recruiting. If anyone here thinks these are not issues then they are viewing through green and gold goggles!

I am wary of this as well, but I’m not sure we can say we have officially declined until a few more years have passed. This roster will be the first year where most of the recruits are Entz’s…

Also, transfer portal is an interesting wrinkle that complicates recruiting classes and kinda muddies the water of Entz’s responsibility over the whole deal.

I’m incline to agree with you, I’m just trying to remain hopeful for a few more years. If we get through the 2025 season and we haven’t won any other chipper, I’d start to worry…

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
05-27-2023, 12:59 AM
One of the biggest areas of decline with NDSU football is coaching and recruiting. If anyone here thinks these are not issues then they are viewing through green and gold goggles!We have no clue about the recruiting at this point. Entzs recruits havent been playing yet because of all the upperclassmen and COVID seniors. My god. If they struggle this year then yes, let the debate begin. But to make that judgement before they have even seen the field. Smh

WeAreThePride
05-27-2023, 04:25 AM
The Bunnies are number 1, and they earned it.

I can't fucking WAIT to take back that rock.

SDbison
05-27-2023, 10:33 AM
The Bunnies are number 1, and they earned it.

I can't fucking WAIT to take back that rock.
Doubt you will be the one taking back the rock and you may be waiting for awhile to see the NDSU football team do it.

SDbison
05-27-2023, 10:44 AM
We have no clue about the recruiting at this point. Entzs recruits havent been playing yet because of all the upperclassmen and COVID seniors. My god. If they struggle this year then yes, let the debate begin. But to make that judgement before they have even seen the field. Smh

Sent from my Pixel 5 using TapatalkEven if you don't believe the talent pool or level of coaching has declined, the leadership, swagger and confidence is definitely not what it used to be.

scottietohottie
05-27-2023, 12:29 PM
We have no clue about the recruiting at this point. Entzs recruits havent been playing yet because of all the upperclassmen and COVID seniors. My god. If they struggle this year then yes, let the debate begin. But to make that judgement before they have even seen the field. Smh

I sure hope he starts recruiting soon. He's been here for years eh.

scottietohottie
05-27-2023, 12:30 PM
Even if you don't believe the talent pool or level of coaching has declined, the leadership, swagger and confidence is definitely not what it used to be.

The swagger is now a waddle.

NDSU92
05-29-2023, 11:58 AM

Entz’s first recruiting class are currently academic seniors. How much more time do they need?

Not like they didn’t have a huge opportunity to step up last year with all of the injuries. We all saw what we saw.