PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Offseason Moves

Big Bird
05-19-2023, 10:55 PM
Rather than creating a bunch of new threads with all of the news that is yet to come, figured I'd throw it here.

Bad news: DJ Parker is officially in the portal

NDSU guys still have a couple weeks to enter the portal thanks to the coaching change, so we'll see who else joins him.

Good news, with the defections, the team should have plenty of scholarship money to throw at portal guys.

PaBizon
05-22-2023, 06:44 PM
Juan Mora is no longer on the BiZon roster and is listed on the Oklahoma roster on Wrestlestat.

PaBizon
05-22-2023, 06:48 PM
Guseppie Hoose is also on the Oklahoma roster on Wreatlestat

Big Bird
05-22-2023, 10:18 PM
They also brought in Jace Koelzer from Northern Colorado. We had been facing Buffalo annually, so all three guys were very familiar to Kish.

That being said, they got worse at HWT going from Heindselman to Mora. I'd put money on Pentz beating him handily this year

RadioBison
05-22-2023, 10:48 PM
They also brought in Jace Koelzer from Northern Colorado. We had been facing Buffalo annually, so all three guys were very familiar to Kish.

That being said, they got worse at HWT going from Heindselman to Mora. I'd put money on Pentz beating him handily this year

Which one do you have Pentz beating?

PaBizon
05-22-2023, 10:57 PM
Which one do you have Pentz beating?

On a Flo podcast a couple weeks back they mentioned that Heindselman had entered the portal. I have yet to see anything official that he is. I’m assuming he means Mora.

PaBizon
05-22-2023, 10:59 PM
Hidleys brother announced he is coming back for another season. Too bad the portal is closed and he can’t join him here ��

Big Bird
05-23-2023, 12:01 AM
Hidleys brother announced he is coming back for another season. Too bad the portal is closed and he can’t join him here ��

Although grad transfers can essentially leave whenever they want.

Earlier, I was saying Pentz will beat Mora if they meet

RadioBison
05-23-2023, 12:41 AM

Is one of them changing weights, or are you just saying Pentz could bump up and still win?

PaBizon
05-23-2023, 12:55 AM

Well follow your older brother then. That would be huge.

PaBizon
05-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Well follow your older brother then. That would be huge.

Riley Habisch is no longer listed on the Wrestlestat BiZon roster.

NDSU_grad
05-23-2023, 09:16 PM

Think Pentz will go 285 permanently?

Big Bird
05-26-2023, 12:46 PM
Some potentially back breaking speculation from Willie.

He said Pentz is in the portal (he said he saw a screenshot) and has heard from a very reliable source that Caliendo will transfer but is not in the portal.

He also doesn't understand how guys are getting in the portal still (grad transfers can get in any time and coaching changes create a 30 day window outside of normal portal dates) so perhaps he isn't the best source for portal info.

Losing Caliendo would be the ultimate back breaker. I think with Franek in town and Hidlay coming in as an assistant, NDSU makes the most sense for him this year. That being said, I would think he could get a very sizable NIL offer, if the numbers for guys like Truax and Nagao are to be believed.

Losing Pentz would sting but he is almost 25 and probably in his last year.

The timing of OUs coaching change really screwed NDSU over. A lot of portal guys had already chosen new schools and with NDSU being the last opening to be filled, created a scenario where NDSU's guys could survey the landscape later than others and be contacted by other staffs, which obviously, NEVER happens (written with heavy sarcasm)

Hopefully Willie is not correct, but losing Mora, Pentz, Parker, and Caliendo would be an absolute disaster and prime the Obe era to get off to a really rough start.

RadioBison
05-26-2023, 10:02 PM
Some potentially back breaking speculation from Willie.

He said Pentz is in the portal (he said he saw a screenshot) and has heard from a very reliable source that Caliendo will transfer but is not in the portal.

He also doesn't understand how guys are getting in the portal still (grad transfers can get in any time and coaching changes create a 30 day window outside of normal portal dates) so perhaps he isn't the best source for portal info.

Losing Caliendo would be the ultimate back breaker. I think with Franek in town and Hidlay coming in as an assistant, NDSU makes the most sense for him this year. That being said, I would think he could get a very sizable NIL offer, if the numbers for guys like Truax and Nagao are to be believed.

Losing Pentz would sting but he is almost 25 and probably in his last year.

The timing of OUs coaching change really screwed NDSU over. A lot of portal guys had already chosen new schools and with NDSU being the last opening to be filled, created a scenario where NDSU's guys could survey the landscape later than others and be contacted by other staffs, which obviously, NEVER happens (written with heavy sarcasm)

Hopefully Willie is not correct, but losing Mora, Pentz, Parker, and Caliendo would be an absolute disaster and prime the Obe era to get off to a really rough start.

Wow, that would certainly solidify my hatred for all things NIL and portal. Especially considering that the new coaching staff is probably going to be as good if not better than the last one. By the why, I did hear someplace that part of the reason Kish got the job at OU over some other candidates was to take advantage of NIL.

Big Bird
05-26-2023, 10:54 PM
I actually just messaged Willie and he said MN is offering Caliendo a bag and in the portal...

And the real shocker...Franek entered the portal today.

This team is going to be awful for multiple years.

Oklahoma's coaching search debacle destroyed this program in the near term

Big Bird
05-26-2023, 11:02 PM
To recap the offseason moves:
Losses:
Coach Kish to OU, and very likely Sykora and Marsden too.
NCAA All-Americans Franek and Caliendo (who has 3 years of eligibility) entered the portal.
NCAA qualifiers Pentz and Parker entered the portal
NCAA alternate Mora transferred to Oklahoma.

Addition:
Hayden Hidlay as an assistant coach.

They have to start getting some commits via the portal and ensure their recruits actually come.

Things are not fine.

Portlandbison
05-27-2023, 12:06 AM
Franek just received his MBA and gave this program 5 years, if he wants a new experience after the coaching change I can't be anything but appreciative of what he has done and how he represented the university.

A coaching change where all but one assistant leaves is going to be messy. Kish and his staff went and secured their bag, can't be too disappointed if these athletes try to do the same.

Big Bird
05-27-2023, 12:18 AM
I'd rather he stay, but if he leaves, I hope he gets a big NIL payout (they do happen in wrestling).

I have no ill will towards him for leaving. Like Portland said, he excelled on the mat and in the classroom (2 time elite 90 winner) and always represented with class.

The rest annoy me to varying degrees, but that is college athletics

BabyBison4U
05-28-2023, 04:15 AM
https://youtu.be/K6TnWW1s4hE
Well this represents what it looks like but we just need to hold on till things get better. ��
Who is top achieving wrestler on the team left?

larson311
05-30-2023, 02:20 PM
I don’t see Zach Silvis on the roster, was that mentioned already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
05-30-2023, 02:35 PM
Caliendo to get 6 figure NIL deal according to twitter via Iowa or Minnesota. dayum

Portlandbison
05-30-2023, 07:25 PM
Mannix Morgan joins Pentz, Caliendo, Parker and Franek in the portal.

Big Bird
05-30-2023, 08:34 PM
Caliendo to get 6 figure NIL deal according to twitter via Iowa or Minnesota. dayum

Hopefully that is annually, otherwise, he's being underpaid compared to some of the other guys to transfer like Aaron Nagao and Bernie Truax.

I'm still shocked there is this much money for NIL for wrestlers

Portlandbison
05-30-2023, 08:45 PM
Hopefully that is annually, otherwise, he's being underpaid compared to some of the other guys to transfer like Aaron Nagao and Bernie Truax.

I'm still shocked there is this much money for NIL for wrestlers

100% agree. I hope the wrestlers will actually see the money that is being rumored to be throwing around.

Big Bird
05-30-2023, 10:23 PM
Speaking of the portal, it's getting pretty slim in terms of quality non-NDSU guys. It's well past time to bring some guys in. Hell, St Cloud State got Connor Knopick.

Either go get some 1-2 year stopgaps, or get a few younger guys. This team needs talent and depth in the worst way.

Cael Carlson, Tyler Eischens, Darrien Roberts, and Boone McDermott are fine 1-2 year fill ins.

Finn Solomon, Noah Pettigrew, Alejandro Herrera, Donald Cates, and Sincere Bailey would be nice additions with 2-4 years left.

I'm going to be super pissed if we sit by idly and add like a Keaton Kluever and call it a day.

NDSU_grad
05-31-2023, 01:41 PM
Well, I’ve finally moved to the acceptance part in my 5 stages of grief. But yes, we need at a minimum 2-3 portal guys who at least have high potential to be ncaa qualifiers.

WrestlingMom
06-01-2023, 03:54 PM
Parker to OU

Big Bird
06-02-2023, 11:02 PM
Willie talked about the NDSU situation on his latest TFW. Said he is 99.9% sure MN was contacting Caliendo prior to entering the portal. Also said he entered the portal as a "do not contact" and wound up with multiple offers almost immediately. Also said he thinks it is Iowa or MN.

As far as Franek, he said he doesn't know where he is going, but hopes he is back at NDSU next year. Personally, I think Franek to Iowa for 1 year makes a lot of sense. He already has that Iowa style and I think he could flourish there (I almost puked typing that).

As far as Obe and NDSU, he essentially said, yeah they'll be bad this year but he is confident they'll be fine in the long run.

Sounds like Magayna will be coming to NDSU in 2024, which is very good to hear.

Big Bird
06-03-2023, 10:54 AM
I don’t see Zach Silvis on the roster, was that mentioned already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach Silvis made the under 20 greco world team yesterday.

Kellyn March got 4th in under 23 greco while Clay Radenz got 5th (and lost to March) at 72 KG.

Spencer Mooberry and Clay Radenz are scheduled to wrestle in freestyle.

BabyBison4U
06-05-2023, 03:17 AM

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/kolpack-power-wrestling-programs-poaching-bison-standouts-with-deep-nil-pockets?utm_source=Wrestling+News&utm_campaign=516471b213-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_44607e8210-99ae8b1998-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&mc_cid=516471b213&mc_eid=7749ee408b
it sounds like it

BabyBison4U
06-05-2023, 03:33 AM
Willie talked about the NDSU situation on his latest TFW. Said he is 99.9% sure MN was contacting Caliendo prior to entering the portal. Also said he entered the portal as a "do not contact" and wound up with multiple offers almost immediately. Also said he thinks it is Iowa or MN.

As far as Franek, he said he doesn't know where he is going, but hopes he is back at NDSU next year. Personally, I think Franek to Iowa for 1 year makes a lot of sense. He already has that Iowa style and I think he could flourish there (I almost puked typing that).

As far as Obe and NDSU, he essentially said, yeah they'll be bad this year but he is confident they'll be fine in the long run.

Sounds like Magayna will be coming to NDSU in 2024, which is very good to hear.

https://www.facebook.com/IAwrestle
https://rokfin.com/ranking/3240/IAwrestle-High-School-FAB50-Rankings
7 Maximus Magayna Jr Waterloo East 3A
looks like he is still slated to be a bison but the other Iowa hammer Koufax Christensen has now flipped to Oklahoma.

El_Chapo
06-06-2023, 02:09 PM
Two-time state champ Koufax Christensen will be headed to Oklahoma after the coaching changes at NDSU.

PaBizon
06-12-2023, 10:57 PM
Backup Manix Morgan is following Kish to Oklahoma. Rutgers HWT Boone McDermott has moved on to Oregon St

Big Bird
06-16-2023, 11:29 PM
With Franek and Caliendo officially gone, maybe they'll finally add some guys to replace all of the departures.

Beyond frustrated with how things have gone thus far.

PaBizon
06-17-2023, 02:12 PM
With Franek and Caliendo officially gone, maybe they'll finally add some guys to replace all of the departures.

Beyond frustrated with how things have gone thus far.

There’s really nothing to add that’s going to be an upgrade to what they have. With no NIL money they’re not going to be a player in the portal.

Big Bird
06-17-2023, 04:38 PM
There’s really nothing to add that’s going to be an upgrade to what they have. With no NIL money they’re not going to be a player in the portal.

Strongly disagree. There are plenty of guys in the portal that are upgrades but not good enough to warrant NIL money.

They should be flush with scholarship money and need to use it to bring in competition and talent.

PaBizon
06-17-2023, 06:00 PM
Strongly disagree. There are plenty of guys in the portal that are upgrades but not good enough to warrant NIL money.

They should be flush with scholarship money and need to use it to bring in competition and talent.

Who that they would have a chance at ?

Big Bird
06-17-2023, 09:23 PM
No clue.

I'd like to see them go after Carlson at 165 (who is a MN kid), Donald Cates would make sense coming from NC State, a HWT with a pulse would be nice and I don't think Jacob Kaminski has transferred yet, Tyler Eischens is a MN kid and more accomplished than anyone we have on our roster, Darrien Roberts would upgrade 184, Killian Delaney would instantly upgrade 125. Eischens, Carlson, and Cates all have ties to either the staff or the area. No other team can compete with the scholarship money NDSU should have available which should be a big advantage in going after the others.

Even this week, Alejandro Herrera would've been a good get but he just picked mighty Clarion and Finn Solomon from NC State would've been great (and a logical add with Hidlay coming from there) but he is now at Pitt.

The inactivity is utterly baffling. We lost a ton of scholarship athletes and didn't increase our recruiting class at all. Obe was quoted in a Forum article saying he would welcome the portal guys back, but I hope he wasn't waiting on their decision before offering other guys, because that's what it looks like from the outside.

Barreto, Drexler, and Johnson are all promising to varying levels and March is good, but the rest of the team is a bunch of massive question marks or suboptimal options.

This is not good and there is no depth in the upper weights: https://gobison.com/sports/wrestling/roster?path=wrestling

PaBizon
06-17-2023, 09:50 PM
No clue.

I'd like to see them go after Carlson at 165 (who is a MN kid), Donald Cates would make sense coming from NC State, a HWT with a pulse would be nice and I don't think Jacob Kaminski has transferred yet, Tyler Eischens is a MN kid and more accomplished than anyone we have on our roster, Darrien Roberts would upgrade 184, Killian Delaney would instantly upgrade 125. Eischens, Carlson, and Cates all have ties to either the staff or the area. No other team can compete with the scholarship money NDSU should have available which should be a big advantage in going after the others.

Even this week, Alejandro Herrera would've been a good get but he just picked mighty Clarion and Finn Solomon from NC State would've been great (and a logical add with Hidlay coming from there) but he is now at Pitt.

The inactivity is utterly baffling. We lost a ton of scholarship athletes and didn't increase our recruiting class at all. Obe was quoted in a Forum article saying he would welcome the portal guys back, but I hope he wasn't waiting on their decision before offering other guys, because that's what it looks like from the outside.

Barreto, Drexler, and Johnson are all promising to varying levels and March is good, but the rest of the team is a bunch of massive question marks or suboptimal options.

This is not good and there is no depth in the upper weights: https://gobison.com/sports/wrestling/roster?path=wrestling

Not a top 20 kid in that list nor anyone that wold be worth near full scholarship money. Everyone you listed is a massive question mark and would also have to want to come to Fargo, some after having been places like Palo Alto. Carlson and Eishens would be nice but I would much rather they use the scholarship money on kids coming fresh into the program that they can develop into tournament wrestlers. Plus, Obe had no choice but to wait to see if Franek and Caliendo would come back. I’m glad he’s not panicking and and taking people just because. He’s looking a couple years down the road which is what he should be doing.

Big Bird
06-18-2023, 01:07 AM
But you don't roll scholarship money over and they haven't brought anybody in, other than a JUCO HWT who doesn't look the part.

If this holds true, then they just spread the money out to guys in the program. Great for those guys, but horrible for building out the talent and depth of the team.

We don't have a D1 caliber guy at 184 or HWT right now, and possibly 157 or 165 (whichever one Johnson doesn't go). Unless they start a tFr, which isn't really looking a couple years down the road.

PaBizon
06-18-2023, 01:15 AM
But you don't roll scholarship money over and they haven't brought anybody in, other than a JUCO HWT who doesn't look the part.

If this holds true, then they just spread the money out to guys in the program. Great for those guys, but horrible for building out the talent and depth of the team.

We don't have a D1 caliber guy at 184 or HWT right now, and possibly 157 or 165 (whichever one Johnson doesn't go). Unless they start a tFr, which isn't really looking a couple years down the road.

Stanford had 16 wrestlers on their team this past year. Took their beatings and were forced to wrestle a true freshman they didn’t want to because of injuries. They’re bringing in a top recruiting class and looking towards 2024. You can wrestle a freshman and then RS him the next year. You could start Greenley or Licht next season and then flip to the other one the following year while redshirting the other then.

PaBizon
06-18-2023, 01:19 AM
This coming season is going to be a blood bath no matter what. I’ll be happy if they bring in Carlson or Eishens but I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t. This is the new world of college sports and lesser tier schools like ndsu are going to have to adapt to it. As for telling Mikey Caliendo to pound rocks I think it’s kinda sad. He’s doing what’s best for him as is Franek. I’ll be cheering for them both to win it all.

Big Bird
06-18-2023, 01:32 AM
NDSU isn't Stanford and never will be. Academics, prestige, and recruiting base just aren't the same. Obe also isn't Rob Koll.

As far as Caliendo, cool, I feel differently. For me, he voluntarily went from my favorite wrestling program to my all time least favorite team in any sport after one year in the lineup. Franek gave 5 years to NDSU and was probably the best ambassador the program has had.

BabyBison4U
06-18-2023, 01:26 PM
Any of the recruits wrestling at Fargo freestyle or greco this summer?

PaBizon
06-18-2023, 02:05 PM
NDSU isn't Stanford and never will be. Academics, prestige, and recruiting base just aren't the same. Obe also isn't Rob Koll.

As far as Caliendo, cool, I feel differently. For me, he voluntarily went from my favorite wrestling program to my all time least favorite team in any sport after one year in the lineup. Franek gave 5 years to NDSU and was probably the best ambassador the program has had.

That’s my point. It’s not like a kid is going to have fargo high on his list when there are many other places with NIL, scholarships and “prestige”. Caliendo got six figures to go to a top 3 program in the country. He Absolutely should go and anyone with a brain would do the same.

BabyBison4U
06-20-2023, 04:00 PM
22) North Dakota State

Recruits: #99 Luke Barker (Dodge City, KS - 174 lbs), #132 Markell Rivera-Cain (Ironwood, AZ - 197 lbs), #139 Boeden Greenley (Lisbon, ND - 157/165 lbs), #156 Zane Licht (Lodi, WI - 165 lbs), #178 Adam Cherne (Wayzata, MN - 184 lbs), #187 Amantee Mills (Stone Mountain, GA - 133 lbs), Jesse Aarness (Billings West, MT - 149 lbs)

Transfer: Devon Dawson (Pratt CC)

Immediate Impact: With former head coach Roger Kish taking the Oklahoma head coaching post, it could open up a couple of holes in the NDSU lineup for the 2023-24 season. We’ve already seen last year’s starter at heavyweight, Juan Mora, indicate that he’ll follow Kish to Norman. That paves the way for two-time NJCAA All-American Devon Dawson to step in right away at 285 lbs. Dawson was third last year after making the national finals in 2022.

Recruiting Strategy: Recruiting at home, along with neighboring Minnesota and Wisconsin has been a must for North Dakota State. That has been consistent with the 2023 class They’ve also done well at hitting some of the states that are underserved by DI wrestling (Kansas and Montana). Since Obe Blanc has taken the reins as head coach, I expect those points to continue. Going forward, it’ll be interesting to monitor if Hayden Hidlay (NC State via PA) can open any new recruiting doors.

Overall: Blanc has to get credit for this recruiting class not falling apart after Kish left. It makes sense because Blanc was instrumental in the recruiting process. Amantee Mills, the lowest ranked of the six new Bison ranked in MatScouts top-200, finished his high school career as an NHSCA Senior National Champion. Top recruit, Luke Barker, won NHSCA’s as a junior. Home state product Boeden Greenley was a Fargo Junior freestyle AA last year and Zane Licht was fourth in UWW U17 freestyle last year.

The transition from Kish to Blanc shouldn’t be as drastic as if there was a completely new face in Fargo. Having a deep class like this, should ensure that there’s plenty of talent in the room for Blanc to work with as he sets the foundation for his own program.

Past Classes: 2022: NR 2021: #15

Intermat @ rokfin

BabyBison4U
06-20-2023, 04:03 PM
Kids listed in top 200 definitely have what it takes to wrestle at D1 level. Need to continue to improve to AA? yes but they have the skillz

PaBizon
06-26-2023, 05:01 PM
Pentz to Nebraska.

WrestlingMom
06-26-2023, 11:14 PM
Zach Silvis made the under 20 greco world team yesterday.

Kellyn March got 4th in under 23 greco while Clay Radenz got 5th (and lost to March) at 72 KG.

Spencer Mooberry and Clay Radenz are scheduled to wrestle in freestyle.

Please consider supporting Zach Silvis as he prepares to compete at the u20 World Championships in Poland this August. Here is a link to the t-shirt sale we have running to help off set costs and support Zach at the same time! We appreciate everyones support! Order deadline is July 10

https://zachsilvisworldteamstore2023.itemorder.com/shop/home/

Big Bird
06-27-2023, 11:51 AM
Cael Carlson to OU…

PaBizon
06-27-2023, 02:10 PM
Cael Carlson to OU…

I don’t see him beating out Nienhaus at 165. This only makes sense to me if one of the two can make it down to 157. Oh well

NDSU_grad
06-27-2023, 05:08 PM
Pentz to Nebraska.
A what am I missing here? He’s not beating out Allred. Up to to 285?