PDA

View Full Version : Obe Blanc the New Head Coach

PaBizon
05-05-2023, 01:10 PM
Congrats to Obe!!!! This make me feel a lot more at ease about the future.

PaBizon
05-05-2023, 01:17 PM
Hopefully this keeps everyone thats here and coming here on board. Great job by Larson for getting this thing done fast!!

tony
05-05-2023, 01:21 PM
Congrats to Obe!

NDSU_grad
05-05-2023, 01:25 PM
To me, this has a Klieman replacing Bohl type feel. I think Obe can take this program to another level. I wonder if Cam gets a paid assistant gig here now.

ByeSonBusiness
05-05-2023, 01:36 PM
Can someone explain what the heck a college wrestling club is? Is it just the Freestyle/Greco arm of the wrestling program? I see that he used to coach the NC State club?

NDSU_grad
05-05-2023, 01:47 PM
Can someone explain what the heck a college wrestling club is? Is it just the Freestyle/Greco arm of the wrestling program? I see that he used to coach the NC State club?
Kind of. There’s a few high profile clubs specifically for post-graduates. They train wrestlers for national and international competition. I believe they’re 100% privately funded. Nittany Lion Wrestling Club, Hawkeye Wrestling Club, and Sunkist Kids are a few of the more high profile ones.

PaBizon
05-05-2023, 02:14 PM
To me, this has a Klieman replacing Bohl type feel. I think Obe can take this program to another level. I wonder if Cam gets a paid assistant gig here now.

100% agree. Equal to better coach with far better people skills.

I always said the difference between Bohl and Klieman could be described by the weekly coaches show. Under Bohl it was the Craig Bohl show. Under Klieman it was the BiZon football show with Chris Klieman. IMO you’re right about it feeling the same way.

Pay Sykora!!!!

Portlandbison
05-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Kind of. There’s a few high profile clubs specifically for post-graduates. They train wrestlers for national and international competition. I believe they’re 100% privately funded. Nittany Lion Wrestling Club, Hawkeye Wrestling Club, and Sunkist Kids are a few of the more high profile ones.

NDSU has their own. https://www.bisonwrestlingclub.com/

They have a youth club and it includes the NDSU wrestlers competing like ndsu_grad mentioned. Kish asked for donations to go to the BWC. Its also provides some money to go to the BWC coach, who is the NDSU volunteer coach (cam sykora). Mora wore the "interesting" BWC uniform at the open last week.

The_Sicatoka
05-05-2023, 03:41 PM
NDSU is fortunate to keep Blanc after losing Kish. Often coaches take their staff with them.

NDSU_grad
05-05-2023, 03:45 PM
NDSU is fortunate to keep Blanc after losing Kish. Often coaches take their staff with them.
I heard some rumors, and I think it was on here too, that OU was forcing Kish to keep some of the current staff. That may have played a role in keeping Obe. I’m also hoping the athletic department stepped up and increased the HC’s salary so we’re at least paying our head coach more than the top assistant at most schools.

Portlandbison
05-05-2023, 04:08 PM
I heard some rumors, and I think it was on here too, that OU was forcing Kish to keep some of the current staff. That may have played a role in keeping Obe. I’m also hoping the athletic department stepped up and increased the HC’s salary so we’re at least paying our head coach more than the top assistant at most schools.

I don't think Blanc took this job for the money. Think that most top assistants in the top 20 will be making more than what Blanc was offered. The coaches of the wrestling clubs at the top programs are going to be making more than Blanc.

There is no doubt NDSU made the right hire, the improvement in the program since Blanc came has been noticeable.

The_Sicatoka
05-05-2023, 06:32 PM

Wisconsin poached MSU-Mankato's head hockey coach, and then the heir-apparent at MSU-M*, and a handful of recruits and portals have gone MSU-M to UW, and even the director of hockey ops. The joke is did they take the skate sharpener too ... and is it the person, the machine, or both.

*making more as UW assistant than would have at MSU-M as HC

PaBizon
05-05-2023, 07:21 PM
Wisconsin poached MSU-Mankato's head hockey coach, and then the heir-apparent at MSU-M*, and a handful of recruits and portals have gone MSU-M to UW, and even the director of hockey ops. The joke is did they take the skate sharpener too ... and is it the person, the machine, or both.

*making more as UW assistant than would have at MSU-M as HC

Sometimes having HC On your resume is worth more than the money.

RadioBison
05-06-2023, 12:38 AM
That's great news!

BabyBison4U
05-06-2023, 06:05 AM
Congrats to Obe!!!! This make me feel a lot more at ease about the future.

:) I was nervous and still am. Wondering who he brings on for assistants/recruiters/training partners. Obi has the ability to raise the level of wrestling. He has skills in the room that truly are elite. It is not over, and the portal is still open.
What I would give to be a fly on the wall in and around them boys right now. Are any of the recruits chiming in yet on their plans? Who do you think seals the deal with the new guys. Who is talking to the guys on campus.

PaBizon
05-06-2023, 12:53 PM
:) I was nervous and still am. Wondering who he brings on for assistants/recruiters/training partners. Obi has the ability to raise the level of wrestling. He has skills in the room that truly are elite. It is not over, and the portal is still open.
What I would give to be a fly on the wall in and around them boys right now. Are any of the recruits chiming in yet on their plans? Who do you think seals the deal with the new guys. Who is talking to the guys on campus.

IMO the fact that Kish hasn’t already announced he’s taking any coaches with makes it feel like the rumors that OU wants his assistants to be OU alums or highly connected is true. That would mean the staff here would probably remain intact with Sykora getting a FT position and the addion of his replacement. Obe has to be the guy that ultimately gets them to stay but I’d say Franek is the guy that’s going to keep Caliendo here (for one more year at least).

PaBizon
05-07-2023, 01:19 AM
Check out the article on Intermat where Obe talks about this is the reason why he came to ndsu in the first place. Talks about BiZon culture winning out over the vultures and his hope to take the BiZon wrestling club and freestyle focus up a notch.

SlickVic
05-07-2023, 04:12 AM
Id of brought back bucky meslef but wtf do i know about wrastlin im no mick foley or nothin'