PDA

View Full Version : Spring Practice 2023

heffray
03-21-2023, 02:22 PM
Article from Kolpack this morning details the situation pretty well:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/kolpack-in-a-rarity-bison-start-spring-football-with-more-questions-than-answers

The key stat I liked that he pointed out was that even though our Defense was rAnKeD #9 iN sCoRiNg DeFeNsE iN tHe FcS… we averaged roughly 10 ppg more allowed than in any other season during our championship run.

The only unit without Question marks is the O-line…

A rare feeling, indeed, Jeffrey.

El_Chapo
03-21-2023, 02:59 PM
Entz & company need to hit the Portal. Period.

Use the NDSU name and all we've built up the last 10 years in this Dynasty and the NFL CRED & FIND SOME POWER 5 FBS DUDES.

Recruiting has been below average for what NDSU has been accustomed too so its time for 1 year to take this approach!!

SDbison
03-21-2023, 04:29 PM
Entz & company need to hit the Portal. Period.

Use the NDSU name and all we've built up the last 10 years in this Dynasty and the NFL CRED & FIND SOME POWER 5 FBS DUDES.

Recruiting has been below average for what NDSU has been accustomed too so its time for 1 year to take this approach!! How very true Chapo!
Recruiting not as good with Entz. SDSU doing a much better job. Who is the dynasty?

El_Chapo
03-21-2023, 05:11 PM
How very true Chapo!
Recruiting not as good with Entz. SDSU doing a much better job. Who is the dynasty?

well we've had 5-6 commits poached by FBS teams b4 they even got here, that's 1 issue.

NDSU needs to us their Equity built up during the run and cash it in and see if we can get some Big Legit Transfers in.

tony
03-21-2023, 05:35 PM

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/kolpack-in-a-rarity-bison-start-spring-football-with-more-questions-than-answers

The key stat I liked that he pointed out was that even though our Defense was rAnKeD #9 iN sCoRiNg DeFeNsE iN tHe FcS… we averaged roughly 10 ppg less in any other season during our championship run.

Just to avoid confusion, the defense was giving up about 10 more points than usual (i.e. over 20 ppg). Heck, the defense gave up 77 in the last two playoff games alone. For reference, is more than NDSU game up in any playoff run except 2014 (86). The defense was out of juice.

I'd also say that the offensive line has the fewest questions, but that doesn't mean that there are no questions there. I'm certainly excited to see some of the young guys play.

El_Chapo
03-21-2023, 06:59 PM
Just to avoid confusion, the defense was giving up about 10 more points than usual (i.e. over 20 ppg). Heck, the defense gave up 77 in the last two playoff games alone. For reference, is more than NDSU game up in any playoff run except 2014 (86). The defense was out of juice.

I'd also say that the offensive line has the fewest questions, but that doesn't mean that there are no questions there. I'm certainly excited to see some of the young guys play.

sound the alarms tony!

heffray
03-21-2023, 10:21 PM

Yes thanks, I’ll fix my poorly worded point there…

reformedUNDfan
03-22-2023, 04:23 AM
I'm pretty much checking out on following NDSU football.

My main team looks like NDSU used to and has made consecutive CFB playoffs and has everyone back next year. Enjoy 9-4 next year.

Jim Puetz
03-22-2023, 12:26 PM

My main team looks like NDSU used to and has made consecutive CFB playoffs and has everyone back next year. Enjoy 9-4 next year.

I'm glad you are checking out this season, please checkout of this board and take your uniformed crap somewhere else.

tony
03-22-2023, 12:34 PM
I'm glad you are checking out this season, please checkout of this board and take your uniformed crap somewhere else.

On Bisonville, I always assume the /s is implied on posts like reformedUNDfan's (i.e. Bisonville's Razor: never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by sarcasm... until there is no choice?)

tolnabison
03-22-2023, 01:00 PM

Spoken like a true UND fan.

TransAmBison
03-22-2023, 01:12 PM
Spoken like a true UND fan.So he was a UND fan and checked out on them. Now he is checking out on NDSU to follow yet another new team because they have made consecutive CFB playoffs. Pretty much a "they're only my team if they are winning" mentality. Does fit the UND fan model.*

*Still not as bad as tjamz leaving the semifinal game in the 1st quarter to run hotel schemes with his kids.

Bison Loaf
03-22-2023, 01:19 PM
On Bisonville, I always assume the /s is implied on posts like reformedUNDfan's (i.e. Bisonville's Razor: never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by sarcasm... until there is no choice?)

Or come to a space cleverly hidden within the tingly nether regions of Bisonville ...... where all the inhabitants live a simple, naked, and intoxicating life in true peace and harmony ...... and don't even know the meaning of the word "sarcasm".

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?36764-AC-DC-to-the-West-Lot-rumors&p=1487499#post1487499

thunderingherd
03-22-2023, 02:09 PM

The key stat I liked that he pointed out was that even though our Defense was rAnKeD #9 iN sCoRiNg DeFeNsE iN tHe FcS… we averaged roughly 10 ppg more allowed than in any other season during our championship run.

The only unit without Question marks is the O-line…

A rare feeling, indeed, Jeffrey.

Roehl's fault.

heffray
03-22-2023, 02:16 PM
Roehl's fault.

The best Defense is a good Offense I always say…

tony
03-22-2023, 02:35 PM

Indeed. Complementary, my dear heffray.

scottietohottie
03-22-2023, 02:48 PM
They got who should be doing the 3 and outs backwards last year eh.

El_Chapo
03-22-2023, 03:24 PM
need this spring to perfect the QB draw 15 times a game

BISONBRI53
03-22-2023, 04:03 PM
need this spring to perfect the QB draw 15 times a game

And throw in that wrinkle when it's 3rd and 8 and we run that play... oh wait... we have that down!!!

SDbison
03-22-2023, 04:03 PM
So what is being done for the long term to improve recruiting....both on offense and defense? More focus on kids that will likely stick around, or start to get more kids from the portal? Bigger guys for D line and linebackers (obviously going small was a fail)? What fundamentals need more focus (discipline, better tackling, more aggressiveness)? What coaching philosophies will change (need more creativity and balance in the offense.)? Anybody hear what our coaches will be doing to bring back the dominance? Just crickets......so I expect more of the same with an additional loss or two and an earlier exit from the playoffs. Am I wrong?

BISONBRI53
03-22-2023, 04:06 PM
So what is being done for the long term to improve recruiting....both on offense and defense? More focus on kids that will likely stick around? Bigger guys for D line and linebackers (obviously going small was a fail)? What fundamentals need more focus (Discipline, better tackling, more aggressiveness)? What coaching philosophies will change (need more creativity and balance in the offense.)? Anybody hear what our coaches will be doing to bring back the dominance? Just crickets......so I expect more of the same with an additional loss or two and an earlier exit from the playoffs. Am I wrong?

You're kidding right? They won't change a thing. Meat head mentality...

BigHorns
03-22-2023, 04:50 PM

The thing is, it works with the right players. If we can't find/develop the players needed, will be forced to adjust.

BigHorns
03-22-2023, 04:52 PM

Pretty much this. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball.
Also determines which D gets tired and wears out first. TOP and turnovers are critical.

El_Chapo
03-22-2023, 05:08 PM
And throw in that wrinkle when it's 3rd and 8 and we run that play... oh wait... we have that down!!!

my favorite is running the QB Draw on 3rd and 8 and if we get 6 yards on it, we don't go for it on 4th and 2 and we just punt

BISONBRI53
03-22-2023, 05:14 PM
my favorite is running the QB Draw on 3rd and 8 and if we get 6 yards on it, we don't go for it on 4th and 2 and we just punt

It was pure magic in the first drive of the championship game!

BISONBRI53
03-22-2023, 05:16 PM
The thing is, it works with the right players. If we can't find/develop the players needed, will be forced to adjust.

But it's been shown that they are not capable of doing that...

reformedUNDfan
03-22-2023, 07:27 PM
So he was a UND fan and checked out on them. Now he is checking out on NDSU to follow yet another new team because they have made consecutive CFB playoffs. Pretty much a "they're only my team if they are winning" mentality. Does fit the UND fan model.*

*Still not as bad as tjamz leaving the semifinal game in the 1st quarter to run hotel schemes with his kids.
I've followed Michigan for 30 years and NDSU for about 28 of those.

TransAmBison
03-22-2023, 07:29 PM
I've followed Michigan for 30 years and NDSU for about 28 of those.I'm gonna need to see some receipts. :)

I don't care who you follow...or anyone else. Interest comes and goes for some people in sports, messageboards, whatever.

Bison Dan
03-22-2023, 08:27 PM

And what would you geniuses suggest? You must know the answers if you're asking the questions, right? The transfer portal and social media have changed everything and it's not going to change as far as recruiting goes. .

BISONBRI53
03-22-2023, 08:39 PM
And what would you geniuses suggest? You must know the answers if you're asking the questions, right? The transfer portal and social media have changed everything and it's not going to change as far as recruiting goes. .

That's a little much don't ya think? I didn't say anything about the transfer portal or social media... Not sure where that came from. I think our coaches are trash... at least the top 2. I don't think they can make changes. They do what they do because that is what they know.

Bison Dan
03-22-2023, 08:50 PM
That's a little much don't ya think? I didn't say anything about the transfer portal or social media... Not sure where that came from. I think our coaches are trash... at least the top 2. I don't think they can make changes. They do what they do because that is what they know.

Right, top 2 - let's see a NC and runner up NC. I too would like to see more creativity on both sides of the ball. If the new receiver coach can instill a short passing game I think the
O can be very effective.

heffray
03-22-2023, 10:13 PM
Kolpack keeping a good beat of our team this Spring:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/everybody-everything-to-get-evaluated-during-bison-spring-football-practice

Highlights are comments of Cam and Cole, newcomers from the portal, and a few guys sitting out due to injury (Brozio, Roques, and Chadwick)…

heffray
03-22-2023, 10:14 PM
Right, top 2 - let's see a NC and runner up NC. I too would like to see more creativity on both sides of the ball. If the new receiver coach can instill a short passing game I think the
O can be very effective.

I’m a little sick of hearing about how great our runner up season was… if you agree that changes need to happen in order for us to win another Championship, then I’m not sure what you’re arguing about.

garbageman
03-22-2023, 10:15 PM
O can be very effective.

I’m just glad potential recruits don’t read this board and see how incompetent the coaching staff is and how far off the football and basketball teams have declined

SomeBeach
03-22-2023, 10:29 PM
I’m just glad potential recruits don’t read this board and see how incompetent the coaching staff is and how far off the football and basketball teams have declined

The truths about declines in the football and basketball products are self-evident. You'd rather have a recruit come here ignorant and then bolt to the portal when he/she realizes the truth? Better to fix the underlying issues than to hope that incoming athletes aren't aware of them.

scottietohottie
03-22-2023, 11:33 PM
O can be very effective.

They lost to the only good team 4 times in a row eh. Nothing needs fixing. Running up is fine.

garbageman
03-23-2023, 12:09 AM
The truths about declines in the football and basketball products are self-evident. You'd rather have a recruit come here ignorant and then bolt to the portal when he/she realizes the truth? Better to fix the underlying issues than to hope that incoming athletes aren't aware of them.

So your saying 98% of the other teams in the country have declined also?

SomeBeach
03-23-2023, 04:34 AM
So your saying 98% of the other teams in the country have declined also?

I don't understand your math, partner. Never said anything about other teams. Much less 98% of them.

Recruits likely DO read this forum, among other sources, if they want to make intelligent decisions.

If you were saying we shouldn't cite the obvious issues with coaches and teams on this forum, because potential recruits might read them, then you're wrong.

If I misread your post, then I apologize 98%. The other 2% is because you wrote "your" instead of "you're".

heffray
03-23-2023, 01:09 PM
I don't understand your math, partner. Never said anything about other teams. Much less 98% of them.

Recruits likely DO read this forum, among other sources, if they want to make intelligent decisions.

If you were saying we shouldn't cite the obvious issues with coaches and teams on this forum, because potential recruits might read them, then you're wrong.

If I misread your post, then I apologize 98%. The other 2% is because you wrote "your" instead of "you're".

Lol. Recruits aren’t reading Bisonville.

Professor Chaos
03-23-2023, 01:11 PM
God help them if they are.

BigHorns
03-23-2023, 02:40 PM
Lol. Recruits aren’t reading Bisonville.

Exactly, half the fanbase probably doesn't either.

It's all about Instagram and TikTok now, even Twitter is out of date for kids.

tolnabison
03-23-2023, 03:08 PM
Exactly, half the fanbase probably doesn't either.

It's all about Instagram and TikTok now, even Twitter is out of date for kids.

Don't worry. One individual has us covered on social media.

thunderingherd
03-23-2023, 03:58 PM
I’m a little sick of hearing about how great our runner up season was… if you agree that changes need to happen in order for us to win another Championship, then I’m not sure what you’re arguing about.

I'd bet money that 100% of the people here thinks that they need to tweak some things in the offense, defense and recruiting to get over the top next year. I don't think that everyone here thinks that we need to blow the whole thing up because we had a runner-up season. Thats the difference, in my opinion. Bisondan even offered a change he hopes to see. (btw, its 2 NC and a runnerup)

El_Chapo
03-23-2023, 04:05 PM
Don't worry. One individual has us covered on social media.

It led up to 9 FCS titles & National Notoriety ... last year i was slackin my apologies

heffray
03-23-2023, 04:44 PM
I'd bet money that 100% of the people here thinks that they need to tweak some things in the offense, defense and recruiting to get over the top next year. I don't think that everyone here thinks that we need to blow the whole thing up because we had a runner-up season. Thats the difference, in my opinion. Bisondan even offered a change he hopes to see. (btw, its 2 NC and a runnerup)

And when have I said I want to “Blow the whole thing up…” ?!?!

I’ve said, MULTIPLE TIMES, changes need to happen or we won’t win another Championship. I’ll happily be wrong about that, but that’s my prediction. All I get in response is “WELL we have 2 Titles and a runner up and you want to blow the whole thing up I AGREE we need changes but blah blah blah…”

For FUCKS sake, can’t we just agree something needs to change and move on?!

heffray
03-23-2023, 04:53 PM
Kolpack with a more in depth look at each position group:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-spring-football-primer-a-look-at-each-position-group

ZHerd
03-23-2023, 05:07 PM

Basketball has alternated between a nothingburger and dumpster fire for years. It’s laughable how excited people were about it toward the end of this season when we’ve all seen the same pattern year after year….wash rinse repeat. Definite decline since Saul left. But it’s not still sinking. It plateaued in mediocrity and it’s staying there

KSBisonFan
03-23-2023, 05:09 PM
Kolpack with a more in depth look at each position group:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-spring-football-primer-a-look-at-each-position-group

Curious if Wlodarczyk gets moved back to safety? He was listed as a safety his first couple years and that seems to be a position needing to be shored up.

thunderingherd
03-23-2023, 05:36 PM

I’ve said, MULTIPLE TIMES, changes need to happen or we won’t win another Championship. I’ll happily be wrong about that, but that’s my prediction. All I get in response is “WELL we have 2 Titles and a runner up and you want to blow the whole thing up I AGREE we need changes but blah blah blah…”

Sure. moving on.

heffray
03-23-2023, 05:55 PM
Curious if Wlodarczyk gets moved back to safety? He was listed as a safety his first couple years and that seems to be a position needing to be shored up.

I like his height and size at safety… 6’3” 211…

…but then again, we actually need that size at LB, and probably moreso there, so I’m not sure I’d want to do that…

We’ve had success moving back-ups QBs to Safety… mayyybeeee….???

Bison Dan
03-23-2023, 08:29 PM

I agree some changes are needed. Why? Look at what did Rocky Hager in, same thing every year and after a decade the conference caught up. He got to be too arrogant to change things up. Give the other teams something else to game plan for.

El_Chapo
03-24-2023, 04:53 AM
why is our social media guy showing Cam Miller interceptions?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqJWs51JqSd/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

ByeSonBusiness
03-24-2023, 12:55 PM

Because the guy who made the interception is an NDSU player

TAILG8R
03-24-2023, 03:50 PM

Slowly getting the fans ready. They've already decided Payton is the started but they are afraid to announce it. So they are going to slowly leak only the bad plays by Cam this spring.

I got the text.

noryan34
03-25-2023, 02:27 AM
Had to reread those articles again. There are 15 WRs on the roster and 4 RBs???? Ya I’d say recruiting needs some work. Can someone explain why so many receivers and yet they are hardly used? Just looked quick and the receivers caught 99 passes all year average as to 6.5 receptions per game

TAILG8R
03-25-2023, 02:42 AM
Had to reread those articles again. There are 15 WRs on the roster and 4 RBs???? Ya I’d say recruiting needs some work. Can someone explain why so many receivers and yet they are hardly used? Just looked quick and the receivers caught 99 passes all year average as to 6.5 receptions per game

Don’t need WRs for the QB draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
03-25-2023, 02:53 AM
Had to reread those articles again. There are 15 WRs on the roster and 4 RBs???? Ya I’d say recruiting needs some work. Can someone explain why so many receivers and yet they are hardly used? Just looked quick and the receivers caught 99 passes all year average as to 6.5 receptions per gameThat has zero to do with recruiting. They lost 4 RBs to the portal that they were expecting back this year.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OrygunBison
03-25-2023, 10:49 PM
That has zero to do with recruiting. They lost 4 RBs to the portal that they were expecting back this year.

They should be looking at retention as a part of the recruiting process.

BigHorns
03-26-2023, 03:13 PM
That has zero to do with recruiting. They lost 4 RBs to the portal that they were expecting back this year.

Yikes, would've hoped a few could be signed from the portal also. Maybe can pick some up after spring when some of the P5 guys learn they won't be starting and look around for a new home.

BigHorns
03-26-2023, 03:16 PM
They should be looking at retention as a part of the recruiting process.

Retention went out the window with the portal and NIL. Even many P5's have to reload. It's the new reality of NCAA.
We need to either poach other FCS schools, or get the FBS guys looking for more playing time.

heffray
03-26-2023, 03:27 PM
Retention went out the window with the portal and NIL. Even many P5's have to reload. It's the new reality of NCAA.
We need to either poach other FCS schools, or get the FBS guys looking for more playing time.

The new portal rule only allowing one transfer without a waiver will help things here, I think…

OrygunBison
03-26-2023, 08:59 PM

Only if they look at keeping players the way that they've always done. If they start looking at retention the way businesses do, they might change some things. I look at the way retention works in my tiny office given an incredibly tight labor market. We've had to make some pretty radical changes to our strategy over the last 12-18 months. (I sometimes hate being an employer, by the way...)

bisoneer
03-27-2023, 02:45 AM
I didn't like the pointed question by Kolpack to Entz in the spring practice presser about NDSU being over with as a rumor from the FCS or whatever he Kolpy said it came from. Good answer by Entz that he does not listen to things he cant control. On the flip side, yes we will need to use the portal to stay in the mix of being a top seed in the playoff picture. Need to establish a fan based NIL like K state has done to help out with that reality even though some of us dont like the portal or the NIL its is now a reality to stay competetive. Call Klieman maybe he has contacts on their NIL startup.

https://catsnil.com/

semobison
03-27-2023, 02:24 PM

This is the truth. The reduction of scholarships killed the DII dynasty. NIL and the portal has changed the game again. Retention and player development which had been the foundation of our FCS dynasty will be difficult to maintain. Adapt or die!

heffray
03-27-2023, 03:37 PM
Some D Line info from Kolpack:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/after-one-year-of-just-goeser-bison-returning-to-two-defensive-line-coaches

El_Chapo
03-27-2023, 03:54 PM
Some D Line info from Kolpack:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/after-one-year-of-just-goeser-bison-returning-to-two-defensive-line-coaches

what's the info. we ain't giving them clicks

heffray
03-27-2023, 04:04 PM

Yeah who would want to support our local publication?

High-level: Moving back to 2 D Line coaches instead of just one (Goeser and Phelps) and general discussion on depth at the End position…

HerdBot
03-27-2023, 05:50 PM

Why would you not want to give Jeff Kolpack,our best writer,a click? I encourage everyone to click Jeffs story

noryan34
03-27-2023, 07:38 PM

They also lost a WR. My issue isn't that we only have 4 on the roster its the ratio of WR to RB. even if transfers dont happen its still twice as many wide receivers. Now I will admit I don't know the breakdown of scholly vs walk ons in the makeup

El_Chapo
03-27-2023, 10:56 PM
Jeff & mcfooly are clowns with zero access.

Practice has been uneventful, WHICH IS A GOOD THING. Lots of Reps for players though, as we are missing 10+ for portal, etc reasons. So that's the good news!

TAILG8R
03-27-2023, 11:01 PM

Practice has been uneventful, WHICH IS A GOOD THING. Lots of Reps for players though, as we are missing 10+ for portal, etc reasons. So that's the good news!

No one has as much access as you chapo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Puetz
03-27-2023, 11:31 PM

No one is a bigger clown than you, so go piss up a rope.

scottietohottie
03-27-2023, 11:37 PM
No one is a bigger clown than you, so go piss up a rope.

You couldn't save it for Saturday eh?

El_Chapo
03-27-2023, 11:58 PM

he dribblin down his leg.

I also heard that Kopp & Price are kicking ass.

heffray
03-28-2023, 12:17 AM

To be fair, Jim never signed up. The rest of the #Challengers have performed admirably…

BigHorns
03-28-2023, 04:32 AM
They also lost a WR. My issue isn't that we only have 4 on the roster its the ratio of WR to RB. even if transfers dont happen its still twice as many wide receivers. Now I will admit I don't know the breakdown of scholly vs walk ons in the makeup

Agree, but I'm hopeful we can land a few more after Spring. There's usually a good bit of activity and movement. If we start the season with only 4, thats some reason for concern. An injury or two would make us awful thin at a key spot.

BigHorns
03-28-2023, 04:45 AM
Yeah who would want to support our local publication?

High-level: Moving back to 2 D Line coaches instead of just one (Goeser and Phelps) and general discussion on depth at the End position…

Nice article, looks like lots of focus and experienced depth on dline.
This is a good thing, strong defense wins championships. I think Petrino is going to help improve the secondary also.

Bisonator98
03-28-2023, 11:22 AM

I wonder if any of the WR's maybe get moved to RB.

totoinfl
03-28-2023, 01:42 PM
To be fair, Jim never signed up. The rest of the #Challengers have performed admirably…

Yes...but what type of hell will be unleashed when it is over...the saving up of so many words for a whole month.

El_Chapo
03-28-2023, 02:06 PM
Tk Marshall will have a step up year.
Price & Kopp playing well is gonna help that Bison defense
Shaka Roques is out this spring so DL is a mess.
Weber's spot will be a fun battle to watch

Jim Puetz
03-28-2023, 02:44 PM
No way in hell I was signing up for that challenge

heffray
03-28-2023, 03:03 PM
No way in hell I was signing up for that challenge

The challenge is not for everyone, Jim. You’ll know when you’re ready…

heffray
03-28-2023, 03:04 PM
Yes...but what type of hell will be unleashed when it is over...the saving up of so many words for a whole month.

But the things you’ve learned about yourself this month, toto… you’ll carry that with you the rest of your life…

totoinfl
03-28-2023, 07:23 PM
But the things you’ve learned about yourself this month, toto… you’ll carry that with you the rest of your life…

Yeah...maybe I will never smartass one of Chapos remarks again ... right
I learned to love brussels sprouts....nope missed again
I discovered Victory Brewing Sour Monkey....yup that's about all I got.

El_Chapo
03-28-2023, 07:42 PM
that IPF sure was nice at -5 this morning I bet.

heffray
03-28-2023, 08:11 PM
Yeah...maybe I will never smartass one of Chapos remarks again ... right
I learned to love brussels sprouts....nope missed again
I discovered Victory Brewing Sour Monkey....yup that's about all I got.

Man, I have had a Victory Brewing in a while… Dirt Wolf was a great beer back in the day. I like Storm King, too.

El_Chapo
03-29-2023, 05:31 PM
Tutsie just said on radio "there's some position changes I'm excited for in secondary"

hmmm that's interesting

bruinbison
03-29-2023, 06:28 PM
Tutsie just said on radio "there's some position changes I'm excited for in secondary"

hmmm that's interesting

It’s been covered in the Forum :nod:
by Kolpack & others

AlumniGreen
03-30-2023, 05:52 AM
How very true Chapo!

NDSU is still the dynasty. In order to be a dynasty, you have to have more than one measly championship like SDSU. Still, unless NDSU gets it act together and starts recruiting better and a more aggressive approach to everything, we will be has-beens. Let's not go down without a fight. Why isn't Entz recruiting more aggressively. Klieman was articulate and had high emotional intelligence. I am sure Entz is a nice dad and husband but he needs to come across as more polished and articulate.

AlumniGreen
03-30-2023, 05:59 AM
How is SDSU dealing with portal and NIL? As a dumb broad, I would think that transfer portal and NIL would affect everyone and so it would be a "wash." PISSED off at this. It is frustrating. I miss the olden days when people were excited about football and football players were loyal to NDSU. Your Easton Stick, Carson, Bruce Anderson, and all those wonderful guys of years past. Now it is all about this transfer portal and NIL stuff. Interested in TV ads selling mattresses and so forth. Good lord.

El_Chapo
03-30-2023, 01:26 PM
Speak the truth^^

Rixen
03-30-2023, 03:36 PM
I think SDSU is just the new hot thing for this season. Took down the giant last year (giant of the decade but not last year) and rightfully so should be the clear favorite for next year as well. That success will increase player retention and recruiting. If they don't maintain it the transfer portal will hit them just like everyone else.

That being said, I can see Bison football being less relaxed and more workman like than most other programs so if our absolute dominance(guaranteed rings) is weening/ending at the same time as transfer portal rules relaxing so much.....That's rough timing. We'll always be competitive because of the culture and heritage of this program being a proven developmental program but hoarding all the top end talent might take a dip for awhile.

I've chosen to take this opportunity to embrace no longer having the stress of Championship or Failure. I think it is perfectly reasonable to enjoy a likely very successful 2023 season, watch players develop, and hope for a championship but not value the season on that specific outcome.

BigHorns
03-30-2023, 04:30 PM
I've chosen to take this opportunity to embrace no longer having the stress of Championship or Failure. I think it is perfectly reasonable to enjoy a likely very successful 2023 season, watch players develop, and hope for a championship but not value the season on that specific outcome.

Mostly agree, though I really want us to win the Marker back this year. Even if we don't win another title, do NOT want to see us take a back seat to SDSU. That would be frustrating.

IndyBison
04-04-2023, 01:15 PM
Mostly agree, though I really want us to win the Marker back this year. Even if we don't win another title, do NOT want to see us take a back seat to SDSU. That would be frustrating.I agree with that comment as well. It's great to expect championships but to consider anything less than that a failure is disappointing. What the Bison did the last 12 years is insane. There were several close games in that run that could have resulted in fewer championships. Enjoy the run and the effort by the teams. Success can create unrealistic expectations and that seems to be happening. The Bison coaches and players aren't failing.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
04-04-2023, 01:50 PM
It will also be interesting to see if SDSU can have similar success with a new head coach.

I think SDSU is just the new hot thing for this season. Took down the giant last year (giant of the decade but not last year) and rightfully so should be the clear favorite for next year as well. That success will increase player retention and recruiting. If they don't maintain it the transfer portal will hit them just like everyone else.

That being said, I can see Bison football being less relaxed and more workman like than most other programs so if our absolute dominance(guaranteed rings) is weening/ending at the same time as transfer portal rules relaxing so much.....That's rough timing. We'll always be competitive because of the culture and heritage of this program being a proven developmental program but hoarding all the top end talent might take a dip for awhile.

El_Chapo
04-04-2023, 02:34 PM
It will also be interesting to see if SDSU can have similar success with a new head coach.

STIG was merely a figurehead for about the last 2-3 years, don't kid yourself.

Kevin
04-04-2023, 05:04 PM
Hire Vigen Save Season

southcliffbison
04-04-2023, 10:07 PM

........and you know this how??? You're an expert on sdsu football, ok, who was calling the shots? OC ? DC? I get it ..... those two got together on Friday nights over beer and pizza and decided on a game plan and who to play..... Conversation must have gone something like this...." I want to start him, him, and him with him getting most of the carries. " The other coach says, "Sounds good to me, who's turn is it to call Stig and tell him?"

23Bison
04-04-2023, 11:47 PM
Yeah Stig didn’t carry around those clip boards and wear those vests to not call the shots!!

JackJD
04-05-2023, 12:12 AM

Then you must have knowledge of which assistant coach (or coaches) were actually calling the shots. Did SDSU hire the right one to be the new head coach?

ByeSonBusiness
04-05-2023, 02:10 AM

Chapo pulling the Paterno card lmaooo wut

El_Chapo
04-05-2023, 03:08 AM
Then you must have knowledge of which assistant coach (or coaches) were actually calling the shots. Did SDSU hire the right one to be the new head coach?

Jimmy Rodgers and the other one is in Idaho

bruinbison
04-05-2023, 12:54 PM

Matt Zimmer’s article on SDSU - including the coaching staff changes - 4 coaches left plus Stig retired
Nice to see the Forum expand further in SD.

https://www.siouxfallslive.com/news/sioux-falls/south-dakota-state-spring-football-begins-with-new-coach-new-faces

Bisman
04-17-2023, 06:35 PM
Bison go against spring football trend and get physical

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-go-against-spring-football-trend-and-get-physical

blackdiamond2
04-17-2023, 07:06 PM
Didn't like our tackling....

Cole Wisniewski practicing at Safety...

El_Chapo
04-17-2023, 07:49 PM
Didn't like our tackling....

Cole Wisniewski practicing at Safety...

Back in Bohl Coaching days here, We had Tacking Machines as defensive players, hell, Bohl would rather start a player that tackled better than the best athlete, etc.
I say we get back to that, F your 40 time or anything. Find us Defensive Recruits that hit like a mack truck!

Jim Puetz
04-18-2023, 12:20 AM
El Chirpo, did you read a book on football and quote it? Such knowledge and diminished interest in the number of Rivals Stars a player has is uncharacteristic of you. This can't be a trend, and I fully expect a really dumb post from you sometime during the week.

El_Chapo
04-18-2023, 01:11 AM
El Chirpo, did you read a book on football and quote it? Such knowledge and diminished interest in the number of Rivals Stars a player has is uncharacteristic of you. This can't be a trend, and I fully expect a really dumb post from you sometime during the week.

well how about this for a concept. a tackling machine WITH FBS offers!!

KSBisonFan
04-18-2023, 01:31 AM
Back in Bohl Coaching days here, We had Tacking Machines as defensive players, hell, Bohl would rather start a player that tackled better than the best athlete, etc.
I say we get back to that, F your 40 time or anything. Find us Defensive Recruits that hit like a mack truck!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Chapo on this one.

HerdBot
04-19-2023, 01:28 AM

Bohl recruited great athletes who could tackle. Like Beck, Littlejohn, Mays, and Humber. You can have both is you recruit and develop

But at the end of the day it's about blocking and tackling great athletes

SlickVic
04-23-2023, 04:25 AM

this right here! exactly what CAS pointed out during the infomous "film study" on the eve of frisco game and i have found the film to prove it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT24XRMZEnM

heffray
04-24-2023, 02:21 PM
McFeely on the Spring:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-questions-for-bison-yes-but-embrace-it

bruinbison
04-24-2023, 03:39 PM
Replay of the telecast

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/watch-bison-wrap-spring-football-with-final-practice

BigHorns
04-24-2023, 04:23 PM
McFeely on the Spring:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-questions-for-bison-yes-but-embrace-it

NDSU had about 200 potential recruits and their families in the building

Wonder if that 200 is with or without the families included. Sounds like a ton either way.
Another reason IMO it would have been good to have a public spring game, even if its glorified practice.

Bisonator98
04-24-2023, 04:25 PM
Why didn't Cole Payton practice?

El_Chapo
04-24-2023, 04:37 PM

they don't want a QB controversy for a 5th year Senior. same as last year, coddle feelings.

Bisonator98
04-24-2023, 04:42 PM
they don't want a QB controversy for a 5th year Senior. same as last year, coddle feelings.

Lol from what I've seen there would not have been much chance of that, CP needs all the practice he can get!

heffray
04-24-2023, 04:55 PM

Actually I thought earlier spring coverage mentioned an injury?

El_Chapo
04-24-2023, 04:56 PM
Actually I thought earlier spring coverage mentioned an injury?

shhh I was gone 5 days and this forum needs some spice...

mtoutfitter
04-24-2023, 05:19 PM

Injury to his thumb. Guessing throwing hand.

heffray
04-24-2023, 05:34 PM
Injury to his thumb. Guessing throwing hand.

Thank you.

EC8CH
04-24-2023, 08:08 PM
shhh I was gone 5 days and this forum needs some spice...

must spread rep

bruinbison
04-24-2023, 09:11 PM
must spread rep

Wait ‘til he finally finds out about the newest Bison RB!!!
He’ll be the spicy one :nod: