PDA

View Full Version : Wnit

Bison03
03-07-2023, 02:19 PM
Unless a miracle happens, the Jacks will have a blowout win this afternoon and head to the NCAA tournament. That means NDSU will get the conference autobid to the WNIT. Dom Izzo just said on Hot Mic that the talked to Matt Larsen and he told him that NDSU has submitted a bid to host a first round game. I believe it is a minimum $6,500. I hope we get it, and hope fans show up. For how poor and and beat mediocre this program has been in its DI history; this team deserves some recognition and support for a great season, and hopefully a start to a turn back to grewtness.

HerdBot
03-07-2023, 03:13 PM
I think a home playoff game in the WNIT would be transformational for the program. Basketball is starting to get some old school BSA energy back (that it lost after wr were moved to Scheels arena off campus for a few years) in both mens and womens basketball

TAILG8R
03-07-2023, 05:57 PM
Unless a miracle happens, the Jacks will have a blowout win this afternoon and head to the NCAA tournament. That means NDSU will get the conference autobid to the WNIT. Dom Izzo just said on Hot Mic that the talked to Matt Larsen and he told him that NDSU has submitted a bid to host a first round game. I believe it is a minimum $6,500. I hope we get it, and hope fans show up. For how poor and and beat mediocre this program has been in its DI history; this team deserves some recognition and support for a great season, and hopefully a start to a turn back to grewtness.

https://i.imgur.com/P5O2C0C.jpg

heffray
03-07-2023, 07:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/P5O2C0C.jpg

Another reason why I Bisonville…

dufferole
03-07-2023, 07:51 PM
Jacks win 93 to 51.

imabison
03-07-2023, 11:39 PM

Wondering how many people need to attend to make it break even for NDSU. Will there be enough?
El Chapo can just stay home.

El_Chapo
03-09-2023, 01:59 AM
Wondering how many people need to attend to make it break even for NDSU. Will there be enough?
El Chapo can just stay home.

I don't think I've ever been to one, so you're good.

even if the bid is $10k-$25
1000-1500 People @ $12 ticket is break even. it'd be close

OrygunBison
03-09-2023, 02:02 AM
I remember going to WBB games in early 90's that were packed to the rafters. I also remember going to the double header for UND and leaving after the women's game was done. It would be so awesome to have that kind of following again some day.

El_Chapo
03-09-2023, 03:15 AM
I remember going to WBB games in early 90's that were packed to the rafters. I also remember going to the double header for UND and leaving after the women's game was done. It would be so awesome to have that kind of following again some day.

wow that's crazy.

OrygunBison
03-09-2023, 03:08 PM
I just did a search for but could not find an old article from around 1995 / 1996 / 1997 that was published in Sports Illustrated (I think) that highlighted the D2 WBB following at UND and NDSU, focusing on a game between the two schools. It was a cool article as I remember, discussing how unique the conditions were at the time. If I remember correctly, it was around the time when it was shifting from NDSU winning a few (5, I think?) D1 Championships in a row to UND winning about 3 in a row. The 90's were totally dominated by the Nodak schools.

For at least a few years, they held the D2 National Championship game at the BSA. I went to two of those and they were really fun.

I remember when NDSU made the announcement for going D1, I really thought that WBB would by far have the easiest transition and was stunned to see the program struggle so much.

TAILG8R
03-09-2023, 03:17 PM

This is my memory or Bison basketball as well. The women's games were attended better than the men's quite often and that was when they had double headers consistently.

Bison Bridge Guy
03-09-2023, 03:34 PM
This is my memory or Bison basketball as well. The women's games were attended better than the men's quite often and that was when they had double headers consistently.

Yep, we would watch the women and usually at most the first half of the men's game.

heffray
03-09-2023, 03:57 PM
Yep, we would watch the women and usually at most the first half of the men's game.

McFeely had a recent article detailing the dominance of the D2 Women’s program…

OrygunBison
03-09-2023, 06:37 PM
https://gobison.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/1994-95

https://gobison.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/1994-95

Here's the roster and schedule for the undefeated 94/95 team. They were a machine. Take a look at where these ladies were from. 7 from ND and 6 from MN. They would have owned the Summit League.

There was not a single ND player on this year's roster. Where has that in-state talent gone?

heffray
03-09-2023, 07:23 PM
https://gobison.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/1994-95

https://gobison.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/1994-95

Here's the roster and schedule for the undefeated 94/95 team. They were a machine. Take a look at where these ladies were from. 7 from ND and 6 from MN. They would have owned the Summit League.

There was not a single ND player on this year's roster. Where has that in-state talent gone?

The girl from the Grafton team last year went to USD, that’s all I know…

Mr Meaty
03-09-2023, 08:01 PM
The from the Grafton team last year went to USD, that’s all I know…

Nissley from Century will be playing BB at Nebraska. Ware a couple years ago went to AZ. Irwin from Wahp went to SDSU. See a pattern there?

heffray
03-09-2023, 08:59 PM
Nissley from Century will be playing BB at Nebraska. Ware a couple years ago went to AZ. Irwin from Wahp went to SDSU. See a pattern there?

Yeah, not a promising one…

bruinbison
03-10-2023, 12:40 AM
Nissley - Nebraska = P6 Basketball School
Ware - Arizona = P6 Basketball School
Sam Haiby (Moorhead Spud) - Nebraska = P6 Basketball School

Tylee Irwin - SDSU - Maren Walseth NDSU Coach plus Tylee’s Uncle Gene Roebuck = no NDSU
Maggie Manson - Fighting Hawks senior - can’t explain this one……what was Walseth doing??? Jory Collins named head coach spring of ‘19 after, iirc Manson had already signed
Grafton = Pre-med student who was going somewhere with a med school
Emily Dietz (Shanley) - finished up as super senior last season
West Fargo’s Miriley Simon has signed, will be freshman next season

SomeBeach
03-13-2023, 06:57 PM
Bison AWAY versus Oregon Ducks Friday March 17 Noon Central Time. Guess our bid to host was lacking.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/wnit.sidearmsports.com/documents/2023/3/13/2023_Postseason_WNIT.pdf

HerdBot
03-13-2023, 07:03 PM
Bison AWAY versus Oregon Ducks Friday March 17 Noon Central Time. Guess our bid to host was lacking.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/wnit.sidearmsports.com/documents/2023/3/13/2023_Postseason_WNIT.pdf

Oregon can bid unlimited. Cant see any scenerio where we outbid them although my gut says the bid sucked

TAILG8R
03-13-2023, 07:15 PM

Oregon can bid unlimited. Cant see any scenerio where we outbid them although my gut says the bid sucked

NDSU has been transparent with the bids and it has been in a few articles already. The bid the minimum for the first and second round which was $6,500 and $7,500.

NoDakSt
03-13-2023, 07:25 PM
Ducks are a tall order. They start a 6’8 kid and have a 6’7 kid on the bench. Those two don’t score much. Neither of those two are prolific scorers but could be helpful shutting down lane.

semobison
03-14-2023, 12:04 AM

Last year SDSU ladies hosted Minnesota, Alabama and UCLA. I believe they played every game at Frost on their way to winning the tournament??

bisonfan08
03-15-2023, 08:11 PM

I talked to Matt in Sioux Falls, he said they bid slightly over the minimum, which from my understanding is all USD and SDSU had done previous years in the past to host the opening round. I think this was just us getting matched up against a team with a significantly larger budget. Due to how they regionalize this bracket for travel we woulda had to draw maybe Nebraska, Kansas or Kansas St to have a shot and even they might have bid higher. A lot of teams we would have likely outbid weren't regional enough to get a matchup. Even Green Bay got to host which I'm sure we would've outbid so there's the logistical challenge to it too.

SomeBeach
03-15-2023, 08:32 PM
I talked to Matt in Sioux Falls, he said they bid slightly over the minimum, which from my understanding is all USD and SDSU had done previous years in the past to host the opening round. I think this was just us getting matched up against a team with a significantly larger budget. Due to how they regionalize this bracket for travel we woulda had to draw maybe Nebraska, Kansas or Kansas St to have a shot and even they might have bid higher. A lot of teams we would have likely outbid weren't regional enough to get a matchup. Even Green Bay got to host which I'm sure we would've outbid so there's the logistical challenge to it too.

FORUM said the Bison will be spending $15k for travel to West Coast. What is the thinking behind bidding only "slightly over the minimum" (what, maybe $8k vs $6.5k minimum) when the result of a lost bid is having to pay $15k in travel? Is the break-even for a HOME GAME so unattainable (or loss so great) that it was better to pay $15k instead? What am I missing here?

IndyBison
03-15-2023, 08:54 PM
FORUM said the Bison will be spending $15k for travel to West Coast. What is the thinking behind bidding only "slightly over the minimum" (what, maybe $8k vs $6.5k minimum) when the result of a lost bid is having to pay $15k in travel? Is the break-even for a HOME GAME so unattainable (or loss so great) that it was better to pay $15k instead? What am I missing here?Was the $15k a net cost or gross cost? NIT is owned by NCAA now, but I'm not sure if they reimburse for some travel.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

SomeBeach
03-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Was the $15k a net cost or gross cost? NIT is owned by NCAA now, but I'm not sure if they reimburse for some travel.

Per the inforum.com article: Larsen said NDSU will pay the first $15,000 of its travel costs, with the WNIT picking up the tab for anything above that. With a traveling party of about two dozen, including 15 players and four coaches, the Bison will likely burn through more than $15,000 in airline tickets to fly from Fargo to Portland.

As I read this, the Bison are on the hook for the first $15k, an amount which they will likely spend.

bisonfan08
03-15-2023, 09:02 PM
Was the $15k a net cost or gross cost? NIT is owned by NCAA now, but I'm not sure if they reimburse for some travel.

I believe the minimum bid for hosting is partially due to cover the travel costs, I had seen this posted on a board somewhere:

The NIT then reimburses each traveling team for standard coach airfare, one bus + driver, and $120 per diem per person. As I read it, it looks like each player gets $120 per day for each day they are still participating in the competition. That hopefully is enough to cover meals. Hotel costs are the responsibility of the traveling institution.

So it seems like in the end all that NDSU would have to cover is the hotel costs.

bisonfan08
03-15-2023, 09:03 PM
Per the inforum.com article: Larsen said NDSU will pay the first $15,000 of its travel costs, with the WNIT picking up the tab for anything above that. With a traveling party of about two dozen, including 15 players and four coaches, the Bison will likely burn through more than $15,000 in airline tickets to fly from Fargo to Portland.

As I read this, the Bison are on the hook for the first $15k, an amount which they will likely spend.

Sounds like the post I found was probably an older method of doing it but looking at it, likely about the same amount.

El_Chapo
03-16-2023, 02:35 AM
just take it out of Matt Larson salary this year

SomeBeach
03-16-2023, 02:47 AM
So...back to my question. Does this mean we would have lost $15k or more if we had hosted a Women's NIT game instead of traveling to one? Why else would you not take the lesser of two costs? Matt?

bisonfan08
03-16-2023, 01:37 PM
So...back to my question. Does this mean we would have lost $15k or more if we had hosted a Women's NIT game instead of traveling to one? Why else would you not take the lesser of two costs? Matt?

No does not mean we would have lost $15K. Minimum bid was $6,500 and then $7,500 for 2nd round, based on how Matt worded it I'd guess we bid somewhere in the $8-10K range. We won't lose $15K traveling, we'll only lose the difference between what the actual travel costs are and the $15K the NIT credits back so could be very minimal. In my conversation with Matt it sounded like they were comfortable potentially losing a little money to host just to try to boost the WBB brand a little bit so I honestly don't think it was for a lack of trying but if you look at the teams regionally that we were likely bidding against in Oregon, KSU, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, etc we probably weren't beating them unless we went way in the red to host. Now if we would have drawn Green Bay, UNI, Missouri St, something along those lines we could have potentially outbid them but that unfortunately is not how it played out.

abc123
03-16-2023, 02:03 PM
No does not mean we would have lost $15K. Minimum bid was $6,500 and then $7,500 for 2nd round, based on how Matt worded it I'd guess we bid somewhere in the $8-10K range. We won't lose $15K traveling, we'll only lose the difference between what the actual travel costs are and the $15K the NIT credits back so could be very minimal. In my conversation with Matt it sounded like they were comfortable potentially losing a little money to host just to try to boost the WBB brand a little bit so I honestly don't think it was for a lack of trying but if you look at the teams regionally that we were likely bidding against in Oregon, KSU, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, etc we probably weren't beating them unless we went way in the red to host. Now if we would have drawn Green Bay, UNI, Missouri St, something along those lines we could have potentially outbid them but that unfortunately is not how it played out.

Larsen told McFeely that NDSU is responsible for the first $15K of travel, so that's the guaranteed spend if you have a road game.
https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/womens-sports/mcfeely-ndsu-und-will-pay-for-womens-basketball-teams-to-extend-seasons

So unless your gameday costs are significant or you don't think you'll pick up any extra income in concessions/parking/etc, seems strange to not bid close to or above that $15,000 mark.

IndyBison
03-16-2023, 02:27 PM
Larsen told McFeely that NDSU is responsible for the first $15K of travel, so that's the guaranteed spend if you have a road game.
https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/womens-sports/mcfeely-ndsu-und-will-pay-for-womens-basketball-teams-to-extend-seasons

So unless your gameday costs are significant or you don't think you'll pick up any extra income in concessions/parking/etc, seems strange to not bid close to or above that $15,000 mark.

I think the bid is only what you provide to the NIT organization. They may or may not make money hosting the event itself If the cost to host the event is $20k and they only get $10k in revenue but have to give $6k to NIT, the total cost is $16k. I'm totally making up those numbers for demonstration purposes, but none of us know what those numbers are. But a $6k bid isn't necessarily the final relevant number to compare to $15k for travel to another site.

abc123
03-16-2023, 02:39 PM
I think the bid is only what you provide to the NIT organization. They may or may not make money hosting the event itself If the cost to host the event is $20k and they only get $10k in revenue but have to give $6k to NIT, the total cost is $16k. I'm totally making up those numbers for demonstration purposes, but none of us know what those numbers are. But a $6k bid isn't necessarily the final relevant number to compare to $15k for travel to another site.

WNIT takes a fairly large chunk of ticket revenue, which is why I didn't include that in where you'd make some money back.
Owning the venue, I wouldn't think the cost of hosting the event itself would be a huge number. I would think staff to get the venue ready, work during and clean-up after would be your largest expense.

bisonfan08
03-16-2023, 04:09 PM
I misunderstood, I thought the NIT covered the first $15,000 and NDSU was responsible for the rest. Yeah the bid amount is just the fee to the NIT, then you still have all of your traditional gameday expenses of staffing the facility and with the NIT taking a chunk of the ticket revenue it'd be tough to make any money either way. If we can get a W and Rice would happen to beat BYU there's still a chance we could host a 2nd round game. I also doubt we outbid BYU so need two things to happen for that scenario to potentially happen.

bisonaudit
03-16-2023, 06:59 PM
I think the point is that you don’t have to make any money on the home game the objective should be to size the bid so you don’t lose more than what you are out of pocket for the road game (15k) minus whatever intangible value you put on hosting. So the question is was our process right in sizing the bid?

SomeBeach
03-16-2023, 10:32 PM
I think the point is that you don’t have to make any money on the home game the objective should be to size the bid so you don’t lose more than what you are out of pocket for the road game (15k) minus whatever intangible value you put on hosting. So the question is was our process right in sizing the bid?

exactly. if we stood to make ANY profit on a home game, the bid should have been $15k. thats why i asked ofiginally what net profit or loss we would expect from hosting.

garbageman
03-17-2023, 04:39 AM
just take it out of Matt Larson salary this year

And here you are on the women’s forum again. I thought you said women’s sports don’t matter

El_Chapo
03-17-2023, 06:09 AM
And here you are on the women’s forum again. I thought you said women’s sports don’t matter

and you clowns have been hashing out this bid for 2 days now. hahaha wow . big deal