PDA

View Full Version : Better free agent QB? Stick or Wentz

BISONBRI53
02-28-2023, 05:47 PM
Now that Carson is on the market who is looking better as a free agent? Stick or Wentz?

THEsocalledfan
02-28-2023, 06:05 PM
Now that Carson is on the market who is looking better as a free agent? Stick or Wentz?

Are they both officially on the market at this point?

Professor Chaos
02-28-2023, 06:25 PM
I'd say Wentz would clearly be the preferred pickup of the two for almost any NFL team outside of Indianapolis and Philly but that also means he'd be the more expensive of the two to sign. Hoping both of them go somewhere they'll at least have a chance to compete for the starting job - that's all either can ask for at this point.

Kevin
02-28-2023, 06:47 PM
I'd say Wentz would clearly be the preferred pickup of the two for almost any NFL team outside of Indianapolis and Philly but that also means he'd be the more expensive of the two to sign. Hoping both of them go somewhere they'll at least have a chance to compete for the starting job - that's all either can ask for at this point.

Green Bay if Rodgers becomes a Jet?

Lakes will whine enough that his tears will flood the red in El Forko Grande again.

heffray
02-28-2023, 08:22 PM
Are they both officially on the market at this point?

I think Dizzo reported that Stick has talked with Chargers mgmt and they both agreed to test the market…

heffray
02-28-2023, 08:24 PM

I think I disagree with this but I could be swayed otherwise…

I think Stick is a better option because he has ZERO baggage and no ceiling. At this point, at least from the League’s perspective, they know what Wentz is and all that probably would come with it.

HerdBot
02-28-2023, 09:38 PM
Tough to say. Stick is totally unique as he's undersized, has a meh arm but he's faster than fuck, a legit running threat and great outside the pocket. He's going to appeal to teams that want a niche guy or a short passing game.

Wentz still has a rocket arm and can launch it downfield. He's not as mobile as he once was, but he really needs to stick with a team for more than a year. This whole learn a new offense every year doesn't help him at all. As a backup, he can come in and catch a defense off guard to rally a team.

Kevin
02-28-2023, 09:50 PM
Easton would be a perfect backup in Philly.

Lakes will whine enough that his tears will flood the red in El Forko Grande again.

thunderingherd
02-28-2023, 10:11 PM
I wonder if Stick has much of a market? He could never beat out chase Daniel for a backup spot (did he?)

Kevin
02-28-2023, 10:39 PM
I wonder if Stick has much of a market? He could never beat out chase Daniel for a backup spot (did he?)

On paper no. A lot of media folks felt that was just more about a "coaching" type role that Chase had and that if Herbert had been out any considerable amount of time that Stick most likely would have played.

Professor Chaos
03-01-2023, 03:20 AM
I think I disagree with this but I could be swayed otherwise…

I think Stick is a better option because he has ZERO baggage and no ceiling. At this point, at least from the League’s perspective, they know what Wentz is and all that probably would come with it.
Stick also has zero NFL experience. I would think Wentz's baggage is virtually non-existent if he's signing a short-term deal for backup money.

123Gobison
03-01-2023, 03:43 AM

Stick is excellent throwing screens, mid range or short passes , he is horrible throwing a deep ball. 8 out of 10 deep passes from Stick gets intercepted because there is no velocity in his throw and DBs easily track his passes and go for the interception, this was very evident during pre season games.

El_Chapo
03-01-2023, 03:53 AM
YouTube some of Carsons Throws. he has some incredible throws.. even this year at Washington

this isn't even a debate. dumb

ByeSonBusiness
03-01-2023, 04:16 AM
Stick hasn't even been a backup, has he?

tolnabison
03-01-2023, 01:23 PM
Stick hasn't even been a backup, has he?

What has he been then? If you aren't a starter, you are a what?

thunderingherd
03-01-2023, 01:48 PM
What has he been then? If you aren't a starter, you are a what?

3rd string.

thunderingherd
03-01-2023, 01:50 PM
Stick is excellent throwing screens, mid range or short passes , he is horrible throwing a deep ball. 8 out of 10 deep passes from Stick gets intercepted because there is no velocity in his throw and DBs easily track his passes and go for the interception, this was very evident during pre season games.

So if I go watch all Stick's deep balls in the NFL, 8 out of 10 are intercepted? Or do you just pull stats out of your ass to try prove your point? Let me know and I'll go watch.

heffray
03-01-2023, 02:01 PM
So if I go watch all Stick's deep balls in the NFL, 8 out of 10 are intercepted? Or do you just pull stats out of your ass to try prove your point? Let me know and I'll go watch.

Yeah I don’t know where that stat comes from. Stick doesn’t have an absolute cannon like Wentz or Lance but the kid can flat out ball, and I would love to see him handed the keys to a team to see what he can do…

SoCalBison
03-01-2023, 02:03 PM
On the one hand, Carson is a known commodity. On the other hand, Carson is a known commodity.

heffray
03-01-2023, 02:18 PM
Stick also has zero NFL experience. I would think Wentz's baggage is virtually non-existent if he's signing a short-term deal for backup money.

Stick had a good pre-season run a couple of years ago, I think?

Downplaying Wentz’s baggage is a little green n gold goggley, IMO… But then again, so is thinking Stick would be a great NFL starter, so who knows…

stevdock
03-01-2023, 02:30 PM

8 out of 10 get picked off, even though he only has 6 total interceptions thrown in pre-season. That was one heck of a stat.

thunderingherd
03-01-2023, 02:39 PM

Downplaying Wentz’s baggage is a little green n gold goggley, IMO… But then again, so is thinking Stick would be a great NFL starter, so who knows…

True. IMO Wentz will get a shot at being a backup or even compete for some squad that has a sketchy QB room. Or some arrogant coach (Mcdaniels?) that thinks he can fix CW. But also not sure he'll get a starting shot, because of the PR headache signing a guy that has been on 4 teams in 4 years (counting 2023) and probably considered broken.
Stick, IMO will be on a practice squad. No game experience and the team that has had him as a 3rd string guy and knows him best, is moving on from him.

Nothing wrong with both of their careers. Just my guesses.

tolnabison
03-01-2023, 03:18 PM
3rd string.

So a backup?

thunderingherd
03-01-2023, 04:23 PM
So a backup?

ohhhhh, "a" backup. Not "the" backup. You are correct.

heffray
03-01-2023, 04:50 PM
True. IMO Wentz will get a shot at being a backup or even compete for some squad that has a sketchy QB room. Or some arrogant coach (Mcdaniels?) that thinks he can fix CW. But also not sure he'll get a starting shot, because of the PR headache signing a guy that has been on 4 teams in 4 years (counting 2023) and probably considered broken.
Stick, IMO will be on a practice squad. No game experience and the team that has had him as a 3rd string guy and knows him best, is moving on from him.

Nothing wrong with both of their careers. Just my guesses.

Look at us agreeing on things. Stick’s best bet, sad to say, is to be a 2nd or 3rd stringer and get a chance through injuries. If it can happen to DiDouchey it can happen to literally any QB anywhere…

Professor Chaos
03-01-2023, 04:58 PM

IMO Wentz's baggage were his contract and the flaws in his game. His contract isn't an issue anymore because the team signing him will agree to a new one and every backup QB, along with most starting QBs. have significant flaws in their game. I think there will be plenty of teams willing to take a chance on Wentz for a year or two on backup QB money.

heffray
03-01-2023, 05:29 PM
IMO Wentz's baggage were his contract and the flaws in his game. His contract isn't an issue anymore because the team signing him will agree to a new one and every backup QB, along with most starting QBs. have significant flaws in their game. I think there will be plenty of teams willing to take a chance on Wentz for a year or two on backup QB money.

My opinion of Wentz is also rosier than most, but our opinions aren’t the problem. If you ask any talking head, they’ll tell you there is baggage on the field and in the locker room, and the truth of those things are becoming less and less relevant as long as the narrative continues.

And of course, success on the field would basically cure everything. Look at Russel Wilson. No one had any idea what kind of dumpster fire he was in the locker room while he was winning. After a few shitty seasons now you hear about it.

thunderingherd
03-01-2023, 05:37 PM
Look at us agreeing on things. Stick’s best bet, sad to say, is to be a 2nd or 3rd stringer and get a chance through injuries. If it can happen to DiDouchey it can happen to literally any QB anywhere…

Damn, who woulda thunk it?

unbison
03-01-2023, 09:27 PM
I’d love to see stick end up in Denver…
I believe he would be a great fit with Sean payton

123Gobison
03-01-2023, 09:46 PM

I agree, he may be a better runner compared to Jamies Winston, throwing deep passes***. He may be good for a game or two if need arises.

heffray
03-02-2023, 12:54 AM

First of all - FUCK Sean Payton…

Second… Sorry what was the question?

Bisonator98
03-02-2023, 12:37 PM

what makes you think this? Payton had success in NO with Drew Brees who's an extremely accurate pocket passer but not much of a running threat. IMO Stick would be way better off in an offense like Philly's, Baltimore's or maybe Tennessee's. Run dominate with a lot of play action and RPO's.

Kevin
03-02-2023, 03:48 PM
what makes you think this? Payton had success in NO with Drew Brees who's an extremely accurate pocket passer but not much of a running threat. IMO Stick would be way better off in an offense like Philly's, Baltimore's or maybe Tennessee's. Run dominate with a lot of play action and RPO's.

Because Payton invented the Mormon Mahomes Package for Taysom Hill which allows a guy with Easton's skillset to actually contribute from the bench.

I begged the Chargers staff to do this but they ran it once and it went for like -3 yards and they didn't try again. Because they lack VISION and BALLS.

I eventually had to stop my requests because of the restraining orders but it would have worked. I think Payton would make it work in Denver.

And it'd get that weirdo Wilson off the field which is a good thing for everyone.

THEsocalledfan
03-02-2023, 04:41 PM
First of all - FUCK Sean Payton…

Second… Sorry what was the question?

Only in the NFL would anyone hire that piece of shit. reps to heffray for speaking truth

OrygunBison
03-02-2023, 06:54 PM
Only in the NFL would anyone hire that piece of shit. reps to heffray for speaking truth

Yeah, that guy can just eat a bag of dicks.

The_Sicatoka
03-02-2023, 08:07 PM
Stick might be (do we know?) the better QB right now, but without more game footage, Wentz will be ahead of him for suitors.

heffray
03-02-2023, 09:23 PM
Stick might be (do we know?) the better QB right now, but without more game footage, Wentz will be ahead of him for suitors.

This is kinda where I’m at right now.

unbison
03-02-2023, 11:08 PM

Because stick is a high iq guy like breeze was and I feel their arm strength is similar

870XPRS
03-03-2023, 12:17 AM
Because stick is a high iq guy like breeze was and I feel their arm strength is similar

Arm strength and accuracy are two very different attributes. Brees is widely considered one of the most accurate qb's of all time.

unbison
03-04-2023, 12:11 AM
Arm strength and accuracy are two very different attributes. Brees is widely considered one of the most accurate qb's of all time.

Really they are different??

870XPRS
03-04-2023, 04:29 AM
Really they are different??

You're the one that compared a HOF quarterback with a career 3rd stringer.

123Gobison
03-06-2023, 03:39 AM

Bro, I like Stick too, more so because he is a NDSU guy, but after watching preseason games, I felt sorry for Chargers everytime Stick threw a deep ball. It looks fast on TV but during the game, somehow the DBs are easily batting down his passes or going for interception. His arm strength isnt there. Yes, he has high IQ, he is a great leader, everything but , please ask him to not throw deep passes. He is a good back up who can step in for a game or two but I would be very surprised if he is a starter.

OrygunBison
03-06-2023, 02:22 PM
Bro, I like Stick too, more so because he is a NDSU guy, but after watching preseason games, I felt sorry for Chargers everytime Stick threw a deep ball. It looks fast on TV but during the game, somehow the DBs are easily batting down his passes or going for interception. His arm strength isnt there. Yes, he has high IQ, he is a great leader, everything but , please ask him to not throw deep passes. He is a good back up who can step in for a game or two but I would be very surprised if he is a starter.

You quoted him and then didn't even relate your little monologue to what he wrote. His point was that Breeze did okay for himself for a very long career without having a good deep ball.