PDA

View Full Version : New Defensive Line Coach: Jeff Phelps

tolnabison
02-24-2023, 06:34 PM
Pete Thamel is posted that we have hired Jeff Phelps as our new defensive line coach. Looks like he is originally from Chicago. Has spent the last three seasons at Mississippi St.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1629186333896761346?s=20

https://hailstate.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jeff-phelps/2608

I am not sure if that means Goeser is changing roles? I know Goeser was the defensive tackles coach, while Jamar Cain or Buddha Williams coached DEs. Once Buddha left, last year Goeser coached the whole defensive line.

I am assuming this means new DC Jason Petrino will coach the safeties to fill the vacant spot by Cody Morgan. Petrino coached safeties at SIU.

noryan34
02-25-2023, 12:53 PM
This seems like a big get for a coach. Did he leave an SEC school for the same position at NDSU?

El_Chapo
02-25-2023, 01:26 PM
This seems like a big get for a coach. Did he leave an SEC school for the same position at NDSU?

sounds like he is 3rd coach from Leachs Staff to leave after his deaths. on MSU message board they say

Hope all of that staff lands on their feet ok. Such a terrible situation, none of it of their own doing

Nothing from a personal standpoint. He seems like a nice guy tbh. I just wasn't a big fan of his DLs play, here. Granted some of that was injuries in the case this year for instance. But something seemed amiss from the DL while he was here.
I mentioned it a couple of times on this board. I just didn't harp on it a lot. Since his DLs were basically ok.
Unless they are Sirmon levels of bad. I try to refrain from outright calling for someone's job. There have been some I haven't cared that they left, for sure. I wish him the best.

He’s gonna need a jacket. He is a very good coach. Wish them all well

I replied with this

Heading to NDSU Sounds like an upgrade to me!!!

NDSU would be favored by 6 vs Mississippi State most years.

NDSU had 4 DL in NFL last year

tolnabison
02-25-2023, 01:46 PM

I read that when Zach Arnett took over for Mike Leach after his passing. Arnett didn't retain Phelps.

Jim Puetz
02-25-2023, 02:03 PM
sounds like he is 3rd coach from Leachs Staff to leave after his deaths. on MSU message board they say

Hope all of that staff lands on their feet ok. Such a terrible situation, none of it of their own doing

Nothing from a personal standpoint. He seems like a nice guy tbh. I just wasn't a big fan of his DLs play, here. Granted some of that was injuries in the case this year for instance. But something seemed amiss from the DL while he was here.
I mentioned it a couple of times on this board. I just didn't harp on it a lot. Since his DLs were basically ok.
Unless they are Sirmon levels of bad. I try to refrain from outright calling for someone's job. There have been some I haven't cared that they left, for sure. I wish him the best.

He’s gonna need a jacket. He is a very good coach. Wish them all well

I replied with this

Heading to NDSU Sounds like an upgrade to me!!!

NDSU would be favored by 6 vs Mississippi State most years.

NDSU had 4 DL in NFL last year

And El Chirpo continues to ruin the Bison brand.

garbageman
02-25-2023, 02:09 PM

I’m sure he probably knows the guys and has talked to players aunts and uncles friends about him😢😢

heffray
02-25-2023, 02:16 PM

I’m sure he probably knows the guys and has talked to players aunts and uncles friends about him����

Even if what Chapo tweeted could be considered a slight against our brand, AS RIDICULOUS as him thinking his tweet will matter to this coach is anyone thinking it will matter to our brand.

I said it kind of as a joke last week, but did anyone else notice that Lakes took 10 days off of posting on BV? I didn’t… and it’s because I don’t follow his posts around and whine about every fucking thing he says like a goddamn toddler.

El_Chapo
02-25-2023, 02:41 PM
I've been giving shit to Power 5 boards for years, NDSU has beaten many of those Power 5 boards
correlation duh.... (until roehl forgot he had Hunter Luepke at end of Arizona game)

mtoutfitter
02-25-2023, 03:12 PM
Even if what Chapo tweeted could be considered a slight against our brand, AS RIDICULOUS as him thinking his tweet will matter to this coach is anyone thinking it will matter to our brand.

I said it kind of as a joke last week, but did anyone else notice that Lakes took 10 days off of posting on BV? I didn’t… and it’s because I don’t follow his posts around and whine about every fucking thing he says like a goddamn toddler.

In their defense Heff, it's a little hard to ignore the guy when you open the football page and see that there's 8 active threads and he's the last poster in 7 of them. And...6 of the seven are him whining!

HerdBot
02-25-2023, 03:22 PM
We lucked out on the timing. I'm glad we got a DE coach again since we've always had a DE coach.

heffray
02-25-2023, 03:25 PM
In their defense Heff, it's a little hard to ignore the guy when you open the football page and see that there's 8 active threads and he's the last poster in 7 of them. And...6 of the seven are him whining!

I don’t disagree that he posts a lot, and I see everyone of them… not sure why it’s easy for me to jus keep scrolling and others not. I’m not perfect but…

Hey, let’s try this, I call it The Chapo Challenge: No negative replies to any of his posts for the month of March. See how it makes you feel…

Who’s in?

tolnabison
02-25-2023, 09:04 PM
We lucked out on the timing. I'm glad we got a DE coach again since we've always had a DE coach.

Ya he will probably make our 6'3" DEs play like they're 6'5". My typical jab at you.

I do agree though. Seems like a great hire.

56BISON73
02-26-2023, 01:15 AM

And you can bet that some tool will defend him.

heffray
02-26-2023, 04:14 AM
Ya he will probably make our 6'3" DEs play like they're 6'5". My typical jab at you.

Definitely agree.

HerdBot
02-26-2023, 03:05 PM

I would say he will make the 6-1 guys play like they are 6-3 . :rofl:

heffray
02-26-2023, 03:08 PM
I would say he will make the 6-1 guys play like they are 6-3 . #rofl

Why doesn’t Kramer use shoe heighteners eh

HerdBot
02-26-2023, 03:10 PM
Why doesn’t Kramer use shoe heighteners eh

Like high heels? Stilletos?

heffray
02-26-2023, 03:12 PM
Like high heels? Stilletos?

I believe the correct nomenclature is “platforms.”

HerdBot
02-26-2023, 03:13 PM
I believe the correct nomenclature is “platforms.”

https://i0.wp.com/news.tidefans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/womens-cleats4.jpg?ssl=1

heffray
02-26-2023, 03:15 PM
https://i0.wp.com/news.tidefans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/womens-cleats4.jpg?ssl=1

I’m now getting flashbacks to that stupid Hulu commercial with housewives and Dak Prescott…

heffray
02-26-2023, 03:16 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3ECJQmBRI

HerdBot
02-26-2023, 03:18 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3ECJQmBRI

Whoa its been years since I saw that Seinfeld episode.

heffray
02-26-2023, 03:25 PM
Whoa its been years since I saw that Seinfeld episode.

A classic. Is there an episode of Seinfeld that isn’t a classic tho?

We digress…

totoinfl
02-26-2023, 11:29 PM
I don’t disagree that he posts a lot, and I see everyone of them… not sure why it’s easy for me to jus keep scrolling and others not. I’m not perfect but…

Hey, let’s try this, I call it The Chapo Challenge: No negative replies to any of his posts for the month of March. See how it makes you feel…

Who’s in?

I’m in…I need a good challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

heffray
02-27-2023, 12:08 AM
I’m in…I need a good challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yasss! Love it. I hope it works and your BV experience improves.

Kevin
02-27-2023, 01:55 PM

i did the no bro challenge i went the entire month of february without saying bro

it was hard as hell bro but we made it.

heffray
02-27-2023, 02:27 PM
i did the no bro challenge i went the entire month of february without saying bro

But did it improve your overall BV experience? I can tell you confidently that it made mine worse bro

Hammerhead
02-27-2023, 02:31 PM
Was it the no bro Febroary challenge?

totoinfl
02-27-2023, 02:43 PM

I have list of things that could improve my BV experience, unfortunately many of those i can't mention not that I took this challenge.

heffray
02-27-2023, 03:52 PM
I have list of things that could improve my BV experience, unfortunately many of those i can't mention not that I took this challenge.

Haha fair enough…

Professor Chaos
02-27-2023, 05:32 PM

Who’s in?
Speaking of Seinfeld who's going to be the Kramer of this challenge and be out after 1 day???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61zJHstzOoY

heffray
02-27-2023, 05:59 PM
Speaking of Seinfeld who's going to be the Kramer of this challenge and be out after 1 day???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61zJHstzOoY

Lol - unbison would be my guess…

tolnabison
02-27-2023, 06:28 PM
https://gobison.com/news/2023/2/27/football-phelps-named-defensive-tackles-coach-at-north-dakota-state.aspx

Looks like Phelps will be the defensive tackles coaching. Goeser will coach defensive line (guessing emphasis on DEs?)

Grant Olson has taken on special teams along with his LB duties.

New DC Jason Petrino will coach safeties as his position group.

A new Defensive Analyst was hired in Tucker Meyer. Tucker spend last season at Charloette, previously that Mississippi St (Phelps connect), and Montana. He is replacing Brett Watson, who left to be the DE coach at Stephen F Austin. Meyer is a Rocky Mountain College graduate like Petrino.

HerdBot
02-27-2023, 07:09 PM
https://gobison.com/news/2023/2/27/football-phelps-named-defensive-tackles-coach-at-north-dakota-state.aspx

Looks like Phelps will be the defensive tackles coaching. Goeser will coach defensive line (guessing emphasis on DEs?)

Grant Olson has taken on special teams along with his LB duties.

New DC Jason Petrino will coach safeties as his position group.

A new Defensive Analyst was hired in Tucker Meyer. Tucker spend last season at Charloette, previously that Mississippi St (Phelps connect), and Montana. He is replacing Brett Watson, who left to be the DE coach at Stephen F Austin. Meyer is a Rocky Mountain College graduate like Petrino.

That's good. Goeser has next level knowledge of the system so this makes sense to make the transition smoother. Plus he can focus in more in on just the DEs

Entz sure likes guys he has worked with in the past. So does Petrino

southcliffbison
02-27-2023, 11:59 PM
That's good. Goeser has next level knowledge of the system so this makes sense to make the transition smoother. Plus he can focus in more in on just the DEs

Entz sure likes guys he has worked with in the past. So does Petrino

There is comfort in familiarity.

Bisman
02-28-2023, 10:18 PM
New NDSU Defensive Tackles Coach Jeff Phelps on the Insiders February 28th, 2023

https://www.spreaker.com/user/big987fm/new-ndsu-defensive-tackles-coach-jeff-ph

BisonCardinal
03-08-2023, 12:06 AM
And you can bet that some tool will defend him.

Ahhh nice! It takes a tool to know a tool.