PDA

View Full Version : New WR Coach: Steve Crutchley

tolnabison
02-07-2023, 03:06 PM
NDSU has hired UND RB's coach Steve Crutchley as new WR coach.

https://gobison.com/news/2023/2/7/football-north-dakota-state-names-steve-crutchley-wide-receivers-coach.aspx

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/2/15/football-steve-crutchley-named-running-backs-coach

BISONBRI53
02-07-2023, 03:07 PM

https://gobison.com/news/2023/2/7/football-north-dakota-state-names-steve-crutchley-wide-receivers-coach.aspx

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/2/15/football-steve-crutchley-named-running-backs-coach

Do we know how many stars? Is he tall enough?

HerdBot
02-07-2023, 03:27 PM
Seems like a solid hire

SDbison
02-07-2023, 03:34 PM
Seems like a solid hire. Lol. Not much if any wide receiver coaching experience. But I know, it doesn't make a difference.

CaBisonFan
02-07-2023, 03:39 PM
So we poached him from UND... lol.

Kevin
02-07-2023, 03:47 PM
UND, bro? This is what we do now?

Of course I was also against taking UNI's Klieman once upon a time so don't listen to me.

thebigund
02-07-2023, 03:59 PM
UND, bro? This is what we do now?

Of course I was also against taking UNI's Klieman once upon a time so don't listen to me.

The smile on my face when I saw the tweet. The need to pump the tires of all things NDSU vs the need to shit on all thing UND. This is just glorious.

123Gobison
02-07-2023, 04:04 PM

Looks like we are having some difficulties getting some real WR coaches no worries we can always find some RB coaches, or Graduate Assistants, they are very motivated. I like that.

southcliffbison
02-07-2023, 04:06 PM
. Lol. Not much if any wide receiver coaching experience. But I know, it doesn't make a difference.

In the Roehl era, why would hiring a RB coach to coach WRs surprise anyone? What's the tie-in to Entz? Must be a history here somewhere with ME.

tolnabison
02-07-2023, 04:09 PM
Looks like we are having some difficulties getting some real WR coaches no worries we can always find some RB coaches, or Graduate Assistants, they are very motivated. I like that.

The dude played WR in college. Was also a WR coach Northern Illinois and WIU.

Did your know your boy Atiff Austin played defensive back in college? Was a WR coach here at NDSU, and is now a RB coach for UNI.

mtoutfitter
02-07-2023, 04:27 PM
The smile on my face when I saw the tweet. The need to pump the tires of all things NDSU vs the need to shit on all thing UND. This is just glorious.

So, wouldn't this be considered a STEP UP for him as far a career move...

EC8CH
02-07-2023, 04:52 PM

I'd take some WR transfers along with your coach.

HerdBot
02-07-2023, 06:36 PM
. Lol. Not much if any wide receiver coaching experience. But I know, it doesn't make a difference.

No, he was a WR coach at St Cloud State and worked with the receivers at Northern Illinois. He was a wide receiver in college, so he's played the position.

He never played running back but he was good at coaching it. He's been a head coach, a WR coach, a RB coach, an FBS offensive analysis, a recruiting coordinator, an assistant head coach, and an associate head coach.

He has more experience than Pauley did when we hired him. He also knows the MVFC being at UND, SIU, and WIU.

KSBisonFan
02-07-2023, 06:37 PM
In the Roehl era, why would hiring a RB coach to coach WRs surprise anyone? What's the tie-in to Entz? Must be a history here somewhere with ME.

"he coached running backs from 2013 to 2015 at Western Illinois, where Entz was the defensive coordinator in 2013"

From the article on GoBison.com.

garbageman
02-07-2023, 08:25 PM

El Chapo didn’t play anything yet he’s an expert in everything just ask him😢😢

Bison Dan
02-07-2023, 08:30 PM

Big step up and he doesn't have to worry about getting let go.

BisonHorns
02-07-2023, 08:37 PM

You win the day with this comment.
A Chinese spy balloon will be shot down in honor of you.

Grizzled
02-07-2023, 08:45 PM

Our lights out offense is the definition of job security. Maybe a midnight contract extension.

El_Chapo
02-07-2023, 09:19 PM

All it would take is 1 phone call for Bo.

southcliffbison
02-07-2023, 09:35 PM
"he coached running backs from 2013 to 2015 at Western Illinois, where Entz was the defensive coordinator in 2013"

Knew there had to be something/somewhere.......thanks, KC

Bison Dan
02-07-2023, 09:37 PM

Doubtful - I wonder how many hawker coaches applied?

bruinbison
02-07-2023, 10:05 PM

He also has coached with Randy Hedberg while at SIU

“Crutchley has been in the Missouri Valley Football Conference for nine years. He was the running backs coach at Southern Illinois from 2008 to 2012 alongside offensive coordinator and current NDSU quarterbacks coach Randy Hedberg, and he coached running backs from 2013 to 2015 at Western Illinois, where Entz was the defensive coordinator in 2013.“

thebigund
02-08-2023, 12:49 PM
How does it feel to have a branch on the Bubba Coaching Tree penetrate deep into your program?

thebigund
02-08-2023, 12:54 PM

Incorrect. NDSU burnt that bridge bad. UND played chess with recruiting Bo and things played out exactly how they said it would. No amount of “U up?” texts from your pathetic ass will so much as move the needle. Bo is a Hawk for life.

scottietohottie
02-08-2023, 01:33 PM
Incorrect. NDSU burnt that bridge bad. UND played chess with recruiting Bo and things played out exactly how they said it would. No amount of “U up?” texts from your pathetic ass will so much as move the needle. Bo is a Hawk for life.

Do i have to stick the branch up my ass and walk like Bubba now eh?

El_Chapo
02-08-2023, 01:48 PM

haha true. Jason Ray is long gone to Kansas State NDSU SOUTH
he got a pwo.

if he wants to get to NFL though he'd come down to NDSU.

Bison Dan
02-08-2023, 02:10 PM
How does it feel to have a branch on the Bubba Coaching Tree penetrate deep into your program?

Looks like he couldn't wait to exit. Bubbles has the shortest tree in the coaching forest. He might learn something now.

Grizzled
02-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Looks like he couldn't wait to exit. Bubbles has the shortest tree in the coaching forest. He might learn something now.

From our OC??? Doubtful. He will learn how to teach WRs how to block QB sweep and power.

El_Chapo
02-08-2023, 03:29 PM
From our OC??? Doubtful. He will learn how to teach WRs how to block QB sweep and power.

just like everyone from grand forks, gotta move away to accomplish something. this guy gets it.

SDbison
02-08-2023, 03:42 PM
From our OC??? Doubtful. He will learn how to teach WRs how to block QB sweep and power.. Of course, the Bison don't need an effective pass game, just A gap power and an occasional QB run.

Jim Puetz
02-08-2023, 05:08 PM

Who cares about Bo Belquist? How many National Championships has he won? Actually, how many playoff games has he won? Oh wait, has he beat NDSU yet?

El_Chapo
02-08-2023, 06:42 PM
Who cares about Bo Belquist? How many National Championships has he won? Actually, how many playoff games has he won? Oh wait, has he beat NDSU yet?

we don't care , he from hoople, he's enjoying his career, its all good.

Now a New WR Coach will be interesting to see moving forward.

CyPanth
02-08-2023, 08:14 PM
Thanks in advance for developing him as a coach. We will let you know when we are ready to hire him away to Iowa State. ;)

BISONBRI53
02-08-2023, 08:17 PM
Thanks in advance for developing him as a coach. We will let you know when we are ready to hire him away to Iowa State. ;)

Could you hire away our OC? PLEASE???

B.Schlossman Fan Club
02-09-2023, 04:01 AM

Who would we want? Belquist for sure but who else is even good on their roster?

heffray
02-09-2023, 12:01 PM
No, he was a WR coach at St Cloud State and worked with the receivers at Northern Illinois. He was a wide receiver in college, so he's played the position.

He never played running back but he was good at coaching it. He's been a head coach, a WR coach, a RB coach, an FBS offensive analysis, a recruiting coordinator, an assistant head coach, and an associate head coach.

He has more experience than Pauley did when we hired him. He also knows the MVFC being at UND, SIU, and WIU.

He has more experience than our fucking OC.

heffray
02-09-2023, 12:03 PM
Our lights out offense is the definition of job security. Maybe a midnight contract extension.

#1 Offense in the Valley last year, bro… eh…

thunderingherd
02-09-2023, 01:01 PM

Good point Heff.

heffray
02-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Good point Heff.

I’ll take my tongue out of my cheek for a second here and just say this: My opinion is that Roehl is doing a poor job of playcalling with our current players. You have pointed to that stat as an indicator of the opposite. Fair. I’ll point to multiple specific game situations, often times lasting entire halves and quarters where Roehl cost us wins and probably should have cost us a couple more:
-Loss at Arizona due to play calls in final series
-Loss at home vs those fucks from Brookings, entire second half, 0 points
-Loss in the Chipper, while not fully on the O, why are we still calling 50% run plays down 17?
-Win at USD, losing at halftime… to USD…
-Win at Indiana St, the entire game was terrible and we probably should have lost this game
-Win at Southern Illinois, 7 points scored through 3 quarters, losing going into the 4th
-Win at home v UIW, first points scored as time expired in the first quarter

Buddy, we were in a position to lose an additional 4 games this year. If you can look at this and honestly say you’re ok with it and nothing needs to change, then I don’t know what to tell you, but enjoy no championships for the rest of TR’s tenure as OC at NDSU, because I don’t see it happening.

steelbison
02-09-2023, 01:40 PM
I’ll take my tongue out of my cheek for a second here and just say this: My opinion is that Roehl is doing a poor job of playcalling with our current players. You have pointed to that stat as an indicator of the opposite. Fair. I’ll point to multiple specific game situations, often times lasting entire halves and quarters where Roehl cost us wins and probably should have cost us a couple more:
-Loss in the Chipper, while not fully on the O, why are we still calling 50% run plays down 17?
-Win at Indiana St, the entire game was terrible and we probably should have lost this game
-Win at Southern Illinois, 7 points scored through 3 quarters, losing going into the 4th

Buddy, we were in a position to lose an additional 4 games this year. If you can look at this and honestly say you’re ok with it and nothing needs to change, then I don’t know what to tell you, but enjoy no championships for the rest of TR’s tenure as OC at NDSU, because I don’t see it happening.

Great points. On top of that the Valley was pretty bad this year. Other than SDSU it stunk.

I think Entz needs to share blame as well. The steady decline in passing yards since they took over is shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzled
02-09-2023, 01:58 PM

Cool, by what metric? Rushing yards per game…..yes.

We weren’t in scoring, passing yards per game or points per game. So how do you fix it……bring in a running back coach to coach WRs.

heffray
02-09-2023, 02:12 PM

We weren’t in scoring, passing yards per game or points per game. So how do you fix it……bring in a running back coach to coach WRs.

Preaching to the choir, bud… tell it to “thunderingherd” …

The_Sicatoka
02-09-2023, 03:19 PM
I leave for a few days and return to find the NDSU passing game has slipped so far as to have to 'reach down' and get a UND RB coach to run your WRs? Oh my.

Bison Dan
02-09-2023, 03:35 PM
I leave for a few days and return to find the NDSU passing game has slipped so far as to have to 'reach down' and get a UND RB coach to run your WRs? Oh my.

No he reached up to be on the most dominate FCS team in history.

SDbison
02-09-2023, 04:08 PM
I leave for a few days and return to find the NDSU passing game has slipped so far as to have to 'reach down' and get a UND RB coach to run your WRs? Oh my. Wow, this is the most truth spoken by a UND fan on this message board ever! Then again many NDSU posters have gone soft and now think everything the Admin and coaches do is brilliant. This as the Bison football program stagnates (notice how I didn't say declines).

thunderingherd
02-09-2023, 04:38 PM

points per game.
https://valley-football.org/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2022

thunderingherd
02-09-2023, 05:03 PM

Fair opinions. I'm of the opinion that, for the last decade our offense is run the ball, take the entire clock and get out with a win. It's boring and, yes, frustrating to watch, but the results are a decade long dynasty. The passing game sucks, but who knows if its TR or that the players in those positions aren't performing. If not for a once in a decade SDSU team, the team wins another national title, so the offense and defense did what they had to do to get out with wins, with exception to SDSU.

TR might suck. I'm just offering my opinion along with the stat that his offense was pretty good statistically.

"we were in position to lose 4 additional games"....... but we didn't.

I also have the opinion that some here already want the next OC fired.

heffray
02-09-2023, 05:49 PM
Fair opinions. I'm of the opinion that, for the last decade our offense is run the ball, take the entire clock and get out with a win. It's boring and, yes, frustrating to watch, but the results are a decade long dynasty. The passing game sucks, but who knows if its TR or that the players in those positions aren't performing. If not for a once in a decade SDSU team, the team wins another national title, so the offense and defense did what they had to do to get out with wins, with exception to SDSU.

TR might suck. I'm just offering my opinion along with the stat that his offense was pretty good statistically.

"we were in position to lose 4 additional games"....... but we didn't.

I also have the opinion that some here already want the next OC fired.

Yeah Bisonville historically is not happy with OCs, I’ll give you that (even Messingham had his critics).

But I actually disagree with your point bolded point above. I LOVE our brand of football. I don’t think it’s boring because we know that at any point our RB could bust loose, and our play-calling actually included some more creative plays. Under Roehl, the QB run has been heavily favored and screen passes are almost completely lost. Without 2 key screens, we don’t win at Kstate. Additionally, since our only measuring stick is SDSU, who completely modeled themselves after us, look at what they were able to do against 2 the conference opponent match-ups mentioned before: They beat USD by 24 and ISUb by 42.

This is how we used to beat those teams on a consistent basis.

This is not likely as simple as an either or situation I’m about to couch it as, but its almost as if Roehl’s lackluster play-calling has been bailed out by talented players (Lance, Watson, Luepke, etc) rather than the players not executing an A-gap QB run. You seem to think its the latter. I am much more inclined to blame him.

Maybe there’s where we just have to agree to disagree?

thunderingherd
02-09-2023, 06:16 PM
Yeah Bisonville historically is not happy with OCs, I’ll give you that (even Messingham had his critics).

But I actually disagree with your point bolded point above. I LOVE our brand of football. I don’t think it’s boring because we know that at any point our RB could bust loose, and our play-calling actually included some more creative plays. Under Roehl, the QB run has been heavily favored and screen passes are almost completely lost. Without 2 key screens, we don’t win at Kstate. Additionally, since our only measuring stick is SDSU, who completely modeled themselves after us, look at what they were able to do against 2 the conference opponent match-ups mentioned before: They beat USD by 24 and ISUb by 42.

This is not likely as simple as an either or situation I’m about to couch it as, but its almost as if Roehl’s lackluster play-calling has been bailed out by talented players (Lance, Watson, Luepke, etc) rather than the players not executing an A-gap QB run. You seem to think its the latter. I am much more inclined to blame him.

Fair arguments. The defense struggled a bunch during the season, but the DC was rewarded with a Big10 job. so who know's?

BISONBRI53
02-09-2023, 07:12 PM

100% he has! Our coaches play not to lose...

CyPanth
02-09-2023, 08:42 PM
Could you hire away our OC? PLEASE???

With your robust recommendation, we will take it under advisement. ;)

Seriously, one of the problems with the current state of college football is that an FCS OC of a top-notch team can probably make more money as a position coach of a middling FBS team.

Bison Dan
02-11-2023, 08:29 PM
Another leaves

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2023/2/11/football-holinka-to-step-down-as-defensive-coordinator.aspx