PDA

View Full Version : NDSU to AAC prepare theyself.

Pages : [1] 2

El_Chapo
01-11-2023, 02:53 AM
NDSU to AAC is my prediction of the research I am conducting while I'm away from Bisonville.

East Carolina | Florida Atlantic | Memphis | Navy | North Texas | Rice | South Florida | SMU | Temple | UTSA | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | Charlotte

16 Teams are wanted by all conferences at the starts of the College Football Playoff Expansion. ESPN will goto bat for NDSU to be added to AAC.

AAC wants to be the HIGHEST RATED G5 Conference in order to get that G5 CFP Auto Bid, NDSU helps that & helps beat non conference teams to increase the rankings!

NDSU & ______ can be added to reach that 16 teams
(Air Force to join with Navy?)
(Missouri State ready?)
(Delaware or East Coast FCS team)
(Boise State?)

the AAC mention by coach in article & 2 other sources had no idea Coach Entz was going to say that, It might of been a trial balloon floated to see what reactions were.... Everything was positive. There are couple threads on AAC message board popping up

Tulsa & Memphis are a quick charter flight for the team, driveable for fans;
that along with 4 Texas Teams with Fargo to Dallas direct flight options.

Football Only probably works best, but if NDSU gets a full sports invite, you GOTTA Take it! It would significantly improve our Basketball and Olympic Sports. (Wrestling stays in Big 12 obviously)

I will continue my research & check in later with you all. This is Exciting!!!! I can't sit & argue with you guys sorry.... just get ready!!!! :irslow::nod::irslow:

56BISON73
01-11-2023, 02:57 AM
NDSU to AAC is my prediction of the research I am conducting while I'm away from Bisonville.

East Carolina | Florida Atlantic | Memphis | Navy | North Texas | Rice | South Florida | SMU | Temple | UTSA | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | Charlotte

16 Teams are wanted by all conferences at the starts of the College Football Playoff Expansion. ESPN will goto bat for NDSU to be added to AAC.

(Missouri State ready?)

the AAC mention by coach in article & 2 other sources had no idea Coach Entz was going to say that, It might of been a trial balloon floated to see what reactions were.... Everything was positive. There are couple threads on AAC message board popping up

Football Only probably works best, but if NDSU gets a full sports invite, you GOTTA Take it! It would significantly improve our Basketball and Olympic Sports. (Wrestling stays in Big 12 obviously)

I will continue my research & check in later with you all. This is Exciting!!!! I can't sit & argue with you guys sorry.... just get ready!!!! :irslow::nod::irslow:

Yeah we can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

ndsubison1
01-11-2023, 03:24 AM
AAC would dip into MWC, Sun Belt before us.

El_Chapo
01-11-2023, 03:48 AM

if ESPN wants NDSU in the AAC then lets go.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/espn-1-billion-deal-aac-espn-plus.html

Commissioner Mike Aresco was with ESPN before big east & now aac commissioner so he knows ESPN

ps- also this nugget i found
"
@ChrisVannini
If the Pac-12 were to expand and take SMU, you'd have to assume NDSU would be the best option for the AAC to remain at 14.

HerdBot
01-11-2023, 05:03 AM
Lets do it!

SDSU just improved their brand too so come with us

The AAC Conference Championship is on ABC, hosted by the conference winner. Fargodome or Dykhouse on ABC on a Saturday. Then a Bowl Game, not during the NFL

Tulane beat USC in the Cotton Bowl in New Orleans

reformedUNDfan
01-11-2023, 09:16 AM
I'll remind you all that I was on the AAC bandwagon early.

southcliffbison
01-11-2023, 11:03 AM
I'll remind you all that I was on the AAC bandwagon early.

I'm on any conference bandwagon that doesn't have MVC in it.

KSBisonFan
01-11-2023, 11:11 AM
"Conducting research"? That's an insult to anyone who does real research and requires you to consider all angles, not just your same tired rants.

Jim Puetz
01-11-2023, 11:53 AM

AAC wants to be the HIGHEST RATED G5 Conference in order to get that G5 CFP Auto Bid, NDSU helps that & helps beat non conference teams to increase the rankings!

(Missouri State ready?)
(Boise State?)

Great research. I think you are mixing teams from AAC and Conf. USA. Warning: I did no research for this post.

NDSU92
01-11-2023, 11:59 AM

They tried, and they tried. As much as I hate contributing to a Chapo spam thread, I’m hearing more and more “gee idk anything but the AAC would be a great fit” from people close to the university…

I would just about die and go to heaven

Bisonator98
01-11-2023, 11:59 AM
Great research. I think you are mixing teams from AAC and Conf. USA. Warning: I did no research for this post.

I was wondering wtf when did AAC make these changes. :rofl:

NDSU92
01-11-2023, 12:00 PM

The teams he listed are the teams that will be in the conference moving forward

TransAmBison
01-11-2023, 12:23 PM
They tried, and they tried. As much as I hate contributing to a Chapo spam thread, I’m hearing more and more “gee idk anything but the AAC would be a great fit” from people close to the university…

I would just about die and go to heavenI swear about a year ago CAS said something about the AAC...

tony
01-11-2023, 12:23 PM
The teams he listed are the teams that will be in the conference moving forward

Yeah, they are adding a boatload of programs (all Southern) starting next year. That said, conferences with that many members tend to suffer from instability.

NDSU92
01-11-2023, 12:25 PM
I swear about a year ago CAS said something about the AAC...

You are correct

mtoutfitter
01-11-2023, 12:55 PM
I swear about a year ago CAS said something about the AAC...

Yes he did. LOOONNNGGGGGG before the "breaking" Chapo revelation.

NDSU_grad
01-11-2023, 12:57 PM
Great. The Lakes kiss of death. NDSU to the AAC will now go to the same place as Nick Mertens and Mike Browers college football careers.

23Bison
01-11-2023, 01:04 PM
So I’m sitting at work on the toilet dropping a Chapo off at the pool and this is the first thread I read for the day. Gotta be a sign. AAC AAC

Bison Loaf
01-11-2023, 01:15 PM
C'mon people. Pull your heads out. If we go to the AAC, that's just going to be very confusing with AC/DC, and THAT, in turn, is going to be a heavy lift for ME to try and sort it all out in the minds of our membership and heavy-hitter donators.

So ..... No ....... it's still the Big-12 or nothing ... for us.

RonMexico
01-11-2023, 01:17 PM
"Conducting research while I am away" IE.."talking out of my ass"

Professor Chaos
01-11-2023, 01:21 PM
Great. The Lakes kiss of death. NDSU to the AAC will now go to the same place as Nick Mertens and Mike Browers college football careers.

If he'd just start campaigning for NDSU to stay in the FCS they'd probably be announcing an FBS move by next week....

heffray
01-11-2023, 01:26 PM
“Theyself” is a funny typo.

G_Funky
01-11-2023, 02:10 PM

Chapobonics.

NDSU_grad
01-11-2023, 02:11 PM
If he'd just start campaigning for NDSU to stay in the FCS they'd probably be announcing an FBS move by next week....
Quoted for truth.

EC8CH
01-11-2023, 02:33 PM
Yes he did. LOOONNNGGGGGG before the "breaking" Chapo revelation.

This is correct. This thread is Lakes' attempt to get out in front of a train that has already left the station so that he can claim he's the conductor.

CaBisonFan
01-11-2023, 02:38 PM
Lets do it!

SDSU just improved their brand too so come with us

The AAC Conference Championship is on ABC, hosted by the conference winner. Fargodome or Dykhouse on ABC on a Saturday. Then a Bowl Game, not during the NFL

Tulane beat USC in the Cotton Bowl in New OrleansCotton Bowl is at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX.

Kujava23
01-11-2023, 02:41 PM

Yeah Rice North Texas and Florida Atlantic played last year in CUSA----but i could've missed realignment and them joining AAC in 2023 season

Kujava23
01-11-2023, 02:51 PM
I need something to HAPPEN

I'm bored with the MVFC and FCS---especially since great competition bailed to FBS

I thought our team this year was 2nd worst (spring worst) in last 11 years and STILLLLLLL we made the FCS title game

CMON NDSU----find some new competition that keeps CHALLENGING the PROGRAM to grow!!!

The_Sicatoka
01-11-2023, 02:56 PM

You questioning his pronouns?

CaBisonFan
01-11-2023, 02:58 PM

I'm bored with the MVFC and FCS---especially since great competition bailed to FBS

I thought our team this year was 2nd worst (spring worst) in last 11 years and STILLLLLLL we made the FCS title game

CMON NDSU----find some new competition that keeps CHALLENGING the PROGRAM to grow!!!. The move to the FCS was a strong jolt for the program. It's needed again. Seems like the FBS is starting to 'get it' with its 12-team playoff system.

The_Sicatoka
01-11-2023, 02:58 PM
When did staring at the ice in the bottom of your seventh vodka-tonic become "research"?

Kevin
01-11-2023, 03:00 PM
AAC or bust. Take little brother with us ideally.

Kevin
01-11-2023, 03:03 PM

lakes/lakeses/lakeself

heffray
01-11-2023, 03:06 PM

lakes/lakeses/lakeself

Psh - as if i don’t know Chapo’s preferred pronouns at this point, Sic…

tony
01-11-2023, 03:10 PM
Yeah Rice North Texas and Florida Atlantic played last year in CUSA----but i could've missed realignment and them joining AAC in 2023 season

Here's the wiki page that shows which programs are coming aboard:

American Athletic Conference - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Athletic_Conference)

BTW, if there is a crappier way to convey information than those conference timelines in Wiki, I'd hate to see it. Absolute garbage. Of course, now that I've said that, I've got to come up with a better way (that said, the better way would be not to cram so much crap into one graph.)

The Helmet Project hasn't updated their page yet.

2023 College Football Conference Realignment: Every Move, New FBS Members (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/2023-college-football-conference-realignment-every-move-new-fbs-members/ar-AA15RK6z)

EC8CH
01-11-2023, 03:12 PM
AAC or bust. Take little brother with us ideally.

Nope. Football only invite and leave them in the dust.

EC8CH
01-11-2023, 03:16 PM

CMON NDSU----find some new competition that keeps CHALLENGING the PROGRAM to grow!!!

This is exactly right. You are either growing or dying and NDSU can only tread water at the top of the FCS for so long. A football only invite to the AAC is the best option to provide more headspace to continue to grow the football program while avoiding the negative increased costs of pulling all sports along and requiring a travel partner to move up with. NDSU is in a unique situation being a Football heavy athletics program in a challenging geographic location for the FBS. As much as I'm a basketball fan as well and would like to see a move to a conference better than the Summit, I relieve a football only move to the AAC is the best option for NDSU today and for the foreseeable future. Let's make it happen.

OrygunBison
01-11-2023, 03:21 PM
Sorry to be a Wendell but can we combine this thread with the other FBS thread. If Chapo is allowed to make more new threads, we'll have 10 of them again in short order.

If everyone else thinks this is okay, I'll shut up.

Kevin
01-11-2023, 03:26 PM
Sorry to be a Wendell but can we combine this thread with the other FBS thread. If Chapo is allowed to make more new threads, we'll have 10 of them again in short order.

More threads = more shitposting = more chaos.

I am firmly on Team Chaos.

NDSU92
01-11-2023, 03:28 PM

I'm all for reducing Chapo's ability to post in any form whatsoever

NDSUBowler
01-11-2023, 03:33 PM
Chaos is a ladder...to the AAC???

tony
01-11-2023, 03:52 PM

It works either way. It might be a bigger recruiting bonus for NDSU to be one of only three FBS programs in WI, MN, ND, and SD. Heck, the only reason I say "might" is that NDSU has been the best program in college football over the last 50-60 years by attracting players motivated by national championships rather than a label and a potential bowl game goodie bag.

Kujava23
01-11-2023, 03:58 PM
It works either way. It might be a bigger recruiting bonus for NDSU to be one of only three FBS programs in WI, MN, ND, and SD. Heck, the only reason I say "might" is that NDSU has been the best program in college football over the last 50-60 years by attracting players motivated by national championships rather than a label and a potential bowl game goodie bag.

I get it! Playing for titles better than a bowl...but isn't the FCS watered down with competition mean anything???

I still HOPE that top FBS teams break away into own ---play for a title......less FBS teams and top FCS teams break away ---play for a title

NCAA dragging feet on expanding playoffs at FBS level thinking that BOWLS generate more $$$$ but I think playoff games with top teams competing would generate as much $$$

imagine FCS playoffs with 4 team playoff

EC8CH
01-11-2023, 04:04 PM

SDSU isn't nearly as ready as NDSU for the FBS jump. Don't want our options limited by what little brother is willing to sign up for. I'm all in for an individual move with a football only invite to the AAC. Limits growth of other sports, MBB more importantly, but football is already in a different conference, so limit travel increases to all other sports and just move football up to the best FBS conference obtainable.

Only reason to pull anyone else along is if that's what it necessary to get the offer. For a football only invite I don't see how that would be required unless it's an issue of getting the AAC to a targeted number of teams and it takes an even number.

tony
01-11-2023, 04:07 PM
I get it! Playing for titles better than a bowl...but isn't the FCS watered down with competition mean anything???

I've been hearing about the FCS being watered down for years. Heck, when NDSU went FCS, UND fans were yapping about how NDSU was watering down the FCS.

The FBS is the subdivision that is getting really watered down. Heck, I can make a pretty convincing argument that the gap between the top of the FCS and 50% of the P5 has been closing. I mean, all those great programs like App State, Marshall, and Georgia Southern weren't beating P5 teams. Middle of the pack MVFC teams have been beating P5 teams in NDSU's time.

Now, there is something to be said to going to a relatively weak G5 conference because if you're going to have to play in a conference like the MVFC which is basically a G5 conference masquerading as an FCS conference, then why not play in a G5 conference masquerading as an FBS one instead?

abc123
01-11-2023, 04:51 PM
@ChrisVannini
If the Pac-12 were to expand and take SMU, you'd have to assume NDSU would be the best option for the AAC to remain at 14.

LOL. It's absolutely hilarious that you copy and pasted that to make it look like a credible journalist sent that, not a "Catholic Priest, Licensed Lawyer, Tabletop RPG enthusiast, Sports nerd, Normal nerd" with 264 followers. Not that anyone takes any of your non-sense seriously, but that's pretty reliable "nugget" you found.
https://twitter.com/Wilburino/status/1611063534942621704

DCinOK
01-11-2023, 05:01 PM
Any move we make or do NOT make based upon what Brookings does or does NOT do...well, after Sunday the thought of it makes me want to wretch and vomit.

JMB
01-11-2023, 05:13 PM

I agree... FBS talk is like Germany, on a fairly regular basis it tries to take over everything and you need to join together to put it back in it place.

heffray
01-11-2023, 05:50 PM

This x 1,000,000,000

HerdBot
01-11-2023, 07:29 PM

We are solid in other sports but football we add value and a strong brand. Teams wont freak out by a trip every other year.

But we really need the dome to get started on these upgrades like yesterday. You want everything to be newer and nicer for perception. Club seating up top will be huge for revenue. Party decks add seating. More restrooms, wider concourse and vendors helps. So does the potential for adding a hotel on site to the dome

Another thing people dont think about that will be helpful is the plan to double the airports size

23Bison
01-11-2023, 08:17 PM
I don’t want a thread drift but how long do you think it would take to privately fund a new enclosed stadium knowing FBS was a for sure happening in X years?

heffray
01-11-2023, 08:25 PM
I don’t want a thread drift but how long do you think it would take to privately fund a new enclosed stadium knowing FBS was a for sure happening in X years?

A very long time, but oddly enough I think it would take less time if we announced a move…

NDSU_grad
01-11-2023, 08:32 PM
100% privately funded? I’m guessing you’re looking at close to $500 million for something like that. Don’t think it could ever happen.

Herd
01-11-2023, 08:36 PM
The big question for NDSU is . . . All Sports, or just football. All sports would be a big deal. I assume you can’t goto the AAC as a football only.

NDSU92
01-11-2023, 08:53 PM

Do we really need an enclosed stadium? The average high the weekend of Thanksgiving (last week of the regular season in FBS) is ~35 degrees. Even then, I think there are some northern schools that have deals with their conference that the last game of the regular season is always a road game to assist with this.

If Boise State, E/C/W Michigan, Buffalo, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. can get away with having an open air stadium I don't see why we can't...

IndyBison
01-11-2023, 08:54 PM
NCAA dragging feet on expanding playoffs at FBS level thinking that BOWLS generate more $$$$ but I think playoff games with top teams competing would generate as much $$$

imagine FCS playoffs with 4 team playoff

The collective revenue of 44 bowl games is better than 11 playoff games. Especially since the larger bowl games are likley to go away first when the top teams are hosting playoff games. They will figure out the right mix though. There are just a lot of sponsorship, TV, and local host contracts they probably have to work through.

We are solid in other sports but football we add value and a strong brand. Teams wont freak out by a trip every other year.

But we really need the dome to get started on these upgrades like yesterday. You want everything to be newer and nicer for perception. Club seating up top will be huge for revenue. Party decks add seating. More restrooms, wider concourse and vendors helps. So does the potential for adding a hotel on site to the dome

Another thing people dont think about that will be helpful is the plan to double the airports size

Based on comments I've heard from others in athletics around the country, the Fargodome is unique and special. A destination you have to visit. I don't think it would have any negative impacts on a G5 conference invite. Upgrades for a better fan experience are still good, but I don't believe they are necessary for an invite.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

23Bison
01-11-2023, 09:07 PM
100% privately funded? I’m guessing you’re looking at close to $500 million for something like that. Don’t think it could ever happen.

Not 100% no, had the IDPF on my mind at that moment, but say even 50%. Whatever is considered reasonable. With how the money seemed to flow in for the IDPF during covid and with a public statement from NDSU staying we are moving to FBS, I think it would take less time then some think. Fully enclosed would be ideal but not absolute.

HerdBot
01-11-2023, 09:38 PM
The collective revenue of 44 bowl games is better than 11 playoff games. Especially since the larger bowl games are likley to go away first when the top teams are hosting playoff games. They will figure out the right mix though. There are just a lot of sponsorship, TV, and local host contracts they probably have to work through.

Based on comments I've heard from others in athletics around the country, the Fargodome is unique and special. A destination you have to visit. I don't think it would have any negative impacts on a G5 conference invite. Upgrades for a better fan experience are still good, but I don't believe they are necessary for an invite.

Not necessary for an invite but necessary for our own fans and our fundraising efforts. Its a 30 year old building. Club level seats up top on the 50 can generate more in TM donations than 50 yard line seats.

Having more concourse space, vendors and restrooms is a big deal when were sold out. Shorter lines. Less bottlenecking. Having more concourse space with double doors is awesome when it's cold. The below picture would give us a semi heated outdoor overhang. Its especially limportant for students who could wait indoors. (SW corner addition)

Making the building look more big time helps with perception. The east side entrance needs a facelift. The west side would be awesome with something like this. People could take an escalator to club level seats way up top

https://cdn.forumcomm.com/dims4/default/ac95f43/2147483647/strip/true/crop/1410x940+252+0/resize/840x560!/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffcc-cue-exports-brightspot.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthedickinsonpress%2Fbinary%2Fcop y%2F4b%2F18%2F6ae8979dfc8785ed6c700a700b49%2F14807 70-0122-n-fargodome1-copy-binary-2421851.jpg
Then eventually the Conference Center would make the south concourse massive. The hotel would be convenience for fans and the hotel bar is needed. I mean not many places to buy a beer besides BDubs. A skyway connecting to the hotel and SHAC (and ultimately the IPF) would be a recruiting tool because players could walk from the dome offices to the SHAC to the IPF in the dead of the winter when its -10 and windy.

But the dome needs these upgrades to make themselves competitive. They need to keep USA Wrestling. They need it to attract huge conventions. NDSU could generate revenue for the athletic department by letting the dome use the SHAC for huge events

https://cdn.forumcomm.com/dims4/default/d61e1b8/2147483647/strip/false/crop/2550x1434+0+108/resize/1200x675!/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffcc-cue-exports-brightspot.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fgrandforksherald%2Fbinary%2Fcopy %2F5b%2F23%2Fec542b247a4c23ba0e70d30557c8%2F465655 0-113018-n-fns-fargodomerendering-binary-1031050.jpg

BigHorns
01-12-2023, 03:16 PM

This depends a lot on the conference. AAC and MWC are likely to want to see higher capacity.

Charlotte was required to commit to $100M expansion of their stadium to 30k capacity as a condition of joining the AAC.

NDSU92
01-12-2023, 03:30 PM
This depends a lot on the conference. AAC and MWC are likely to want to see higher capacity.

Charlotte was required to commit to $100M expansion of their stadium to 30k capacity as a condition of joining the AAC.

Maybe, but that would be really unfortunate. I mean I've watched Rice highlights over the past couple of years and they wouldn't have filled up a 10k seat stadium in any game I've seen. Hawaii is playing on a soccer field because their usual football stadium was required to be condemned it was in such bad shape. Why force NDSU to pay money to make the same mistake?

Our money could be so much better spent making our program better for the conference in other ways. The Fargodome fits perfectly for what we'd need right now. A full 20k seat stadium with a great atmosphere is so much better than a 30k seat stadium with 20k in the stands. Worlds different.

We can build a 30k+ stadium when it makes sense with our budget, fan base and condition of the FargoDome.

Professor Chaos
01-12-2023, 03:52 PM
Maybe, but that would be really unfortunate. I mean I've watched Rice highlights over the past couple of years and they wouldn't have filled up a 10k seat stadium in any game I've seen. Hawaii is playing on a soccer field because their usual football stadium was required to be condemned it was in such bad shape. Why force NDSU to pay money to make the same mistake?

Our money could be so much better spent making our program better for the conference in other ways. The Fargodome fits perfectly for what we'd need right now. A full 20k seat stadium with a great atmosphere is so much better than a 30k seat stadium with 20k in the stands. Worlds different.

We can build a 30k+ stadium when it makes sense with our budget, fan base and condition of the FargoDome.
The Fargodome may seem right sized based on demand for tickets but the big issue I still have with it is there's no room for entry level seats/prices. There are plenty of factors that have led to decreased ticket demand but I still say price is the main issue. Beyond the price keeping people away the lack of entry level price points also doesn't allow the program to cultivate younger fans to replace aging fans whose life situations are changing and are dropping tickets. Someone is far more likely to pony up for more expensive seats if they've gotten a taste of it in the cheap seats versus never going to games at all.

The only way they can get entry level price points for NDSU football tickets now would lead to a reduction in ticket revenue - at some point they'll likely have no choice as selling tickets for something will be better than leaving them unsold but, in my opinion, the venue isn't right-sized in a market the size of Fargo if there's no room for cheap seats.

OrygunBison
01-12-2023, 04:03 PM
The Fargodome may seem right sized based on demand for tickets but the big issue I still have with it is there's no room for entry level seats/prices. There are plenty of factors that have led to decreased ticket demand but I still say price is the main issue. Beyond the price keeping people away the lack of entry level price points also doesn't allow the program to cultivate younger fans to replace aging fans whose life situations are changing and are dropping tickets. Someone is far more likely to pony up for more expensive seats if they've gotten a taste of it in the cheap seats versus never going to games at all.

The only way they can get entry level price points for NDSU football tickets now would lead to a reduction in ticket revenue - at some point they'll likely have no choice as selling tickets for something will be better than leaving them unsold but, in my opinion, the venue isn't right-sized in a market the size of Fargo if there's no room for cheap seats.

The math you seek does not exist. It'll make no sense to build new (more) seats in order to increase the number of cheap seats. That would be very poor management of the facilities budget.

Professor Chaos
01-12-2023, 04:11 PM
The math you seek does not exist. It'll make no sense to build new (more) seats in order to increase the number of cheap seats. That would be very poor management of the facilities budget.
Isn't that how everyone does it? SDSU didn't need a 19k seat stadium when they built the Dykhouse. NDSU didn't need 19k when they built the Fargodome. If your goal is to grow the fan base you need venues that can accommodate that. The Fargodome isn't going to grow NDSU's fan base any more than it already has and I'd argue that it has already choked that growth.

EndZoneQB
01-12-2023, 04:26 PM

The idea wouldn't be to make money on the seats, it's to make money on the butts being in the seats spending money in the stadium, especially beer.

With that said, the price isn't the concern to me as a blanket statement...the price is a concern based on the product we are playing on the field. I don't really want to pay $1k to see us play WIU or ISUb and *maybe* get one or two good games, depending on the year. Beyond that, the fan experience hasn't changed much in years - the screens were the last thing I remember really changing the experience, and beer is a start - but it's been fairly stagnant. I know the FD has money...it'd be great if they spent some of it.

OrygunBison
01-12-2023, 04:49 PM
The idea wouldn't be to make money on the seats, it's to make money on the butts being in the seats spending money in the stadium, especially beer.

With that said, the price isn't the concern to me as a blanket statement...the price is a concern based on the product we are playing on the field. I don't really want to pay $1k to see us play WIU or ISUb and *maybe* get one or two good games, depending on the year. Beyond that, the fan experience hasn't changed much in years - the screens were the last thing I remember really changing the experience, and beer is a start - but it's been fairly stagnant. I know the FD has money...it'd be great if they spent some of it.

This is a really, really expensive endeavor. We're not going to demolish a building objectively worth $150-200M to spend $350-500M so that we can get 5,000 cheap seats in addition to the really good ones that currently exist. It's impossible to make that up in concessions and ticket sales in a way that makes business sense.

56BISON73
01-12-2023, 04:57 PM
This is a really, really expensive endeavor. We're not going to demolish a building objectively worth $150-200M to spend $350-500M so that we can get 5,000 cheap seats in addition to the really good ones that currently exist. It's impossible to make that up in concessions and ticket sales in a way that makes business sense.

Correct. The ROI just isnt there.

SFBisonFan
01-12-2023, 05:08 PM
It isn’t about butts in seats but rather eye balls on TVs that matter.

When Teammakers is building up scholarship funds to account for the increase in scholarships, the move has to be in the works when the right opportunity comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzled
01-12-2023, 05:11 PM
Isn't that how everyone does it? SDSU didn't need a 19k seat stadium when they built the Dykhouse. NDSU didn't need 19k when they built the Fargodome. If your goal is to grow the fan base you need venues that can accommodate that. The Fargodome isn't going to grow NDSU's fan base any more than it already has and I'd argue that it has already choked that growth.

Sporting event attendance is dropping all over the country…..does a new stadium solve that?

Mr Meaty
01-12-2023, 05:33 PM
Sporting event attendance is dropping all over the country…..does a new stadium solve that?

It does for a while only if the product on the field is worth it. Then the product on the field dictates the perceived value to the attendee. The Ralph will be 22 years old this fall. How do people feel about that venue as a whole. Nothing much has changed there with the exception of new scoreboard. But it has very nice suites for viewing games. Does a new larger stadium with improved suites and "cheap seat" help you maximize revenue while expanding your base of fans. It is still a huge financial outlay for the new building but it can be offset with the added features that people are wanting. I had buddies that attended a Vikings game this year and were in a lounge area with all kinds of things going on in it with all food and beverages. They got exclusive early entry into the game. Their comments were that is the only way they would like to go to a game vs just sitting in a seat. That all brings value and the game that day.

NDSU92
01-12-2023, 05:44 PM
It does for a while only if the product on the field is worth it. Then the product on the field dictates the perceived value to the attendee. The Ralph will be 22 years old this fall. How do people feel about that venue as a whole. Nothing much has changed there with the exception of new scoreboard. But it has very nice suites for viewing games. Does a new larger stadium with improved suites and "cheap seat" help you maximize revenue while expanding your base of fans. It is still a huge financial outlay for the new building but it can be offset with the added features that people are wanting. I had buddies that attended a Vikings game this year and were in a lounge area with all kinds of things going on in it with all food and beverages. They got exclusive early entry into the game. Their comments were that is the only way they would like to go to a game vs just sitting in a seat. That all brings value and the game that day.

There's just no way the benefits of building a new stadium match spending that kind of money. Not yet at least. We still need to endow scholarships and take care of some other things inside the athletic department annual budget.

Let the Dome age another 5 years. Get us to a legitimate FBS conference. Invest in the program that we can be successful in said conference. Get the fans back to selling out the Dome game-in/game-out to show that we actually are missing out on having a bigger stadium.

Then you build a stadium. Harold Hamm Field at Scheels Stadium. I'll walk through the Burgum Concourse and my kids will sit in the Scheels Student Section. See, we're already 25% of the way there.

LefseBison
01-12-2023, 05:45 PM
i am not the expert on a lot of football things like most of you guys are BUT...I would have a concern if NDSU overbuilds or overreaches on a new stadium or a large addition. Remember the touted 18,000 student attendance goal of Dean Bresciani several years ago, and all the apartments that sprung up surrounding campus to absorb that?. What are we at now, 12,000+. What happens if we overbuild this stadium and the same thing happens. Maybe I am catastrophizing, but we don't want a White Elephant. I am guessing the group that runs the FargoDome will take a lot of factors into account. Sorry, but I think the mantra "build it and they will come" is just a glib and flippant phrase. I would think that a reasonable upgrade is in order, however. More bathrooms and some more inspired and cool seating. The FargoDome logo on the outside with that yellow sun-thing is kind of dumb, too. Put a Bison there instead, even if it is city-owned. Everyone knows it is the home of Bison Football. Why were the seats painted blue by the way? Why not GREEN? If they were green, the empty seats would not be so obvious! And don't get me started on some of the unimaginative/tired concessions and "dated" GameDay experiences. NDSU has a lot of great and very talented and CREATIVE people. They can do better than this. [U]And I do think there needs to be a process for the AD to take more feedback from us and to take it to HEART. [U] Does the coaching staff even read Bisonville? I have not been a Teammaker for a while, not proud of that fact but I have given a LOT of money to my alma mater for fully-funded endowments so I DO CARE, and would like our voices to be at least listened to. We are in the trenches so to speak.

OrygunBison
01-12-2023, 05:48 PM
The math needs to work. I'm not suggesting that a new stadium is completely out of the question. I was just responding to the idea of building a new facility to add cheap seats. There is zero chance that a new stadium results is at-par or cheaper seating of any sort....no matter how you slice it. Honestly, I'm not sure why this part of the discussion has any traction at all.

56BISON73
01-12-2023, 05:48 PM
i am not the expert on a lot of football things like most of you guys are BUT...I would have a concern if NDSU overbuilds or overreaches on a new stadium or a large addition. Remember the touted 18,000 student attendance goal of Dean Bresciani several years ago, and all the apartments that sprung up surrounding campus to absorb that?. What are we at now, 12,000+. What happens if we overbuild this stadium and the same thing happens. Maybe I am catastrophizing, but we don't want a White Elephant. I am guessing the group that runs the FargoDome will take a lot of factors into account. Sorry, but I think the mantra "build it and they will come" is just a glib and flippant phrase. I would think that a reasonable upgrade is in order, however. More bathrooms and some more inspired and cool seating. The FargoDome logo on the outside with that yellow sun-thing is kind of dumb, too. Put a Bison there instead, even if it is city-owned. Everyone knows it is the home of Bison Football. Why were the seats painted blue by the way? Why not GREEN? If they were green, the empty seats would not be so obvious! And don't get me started on some of the unimaginative/tired concessions and "dated" GameDay experiences. NDSU has a lot of great and very talented and CREATIVE people. They can do better than this. [U]And I do think there needs to be a process for the AD to take more feedback from us and to take it to HEART. [U] Does the coaching staff even read Bisonville? I have not been a Teammaker for a while, not proud of that fact but I have given a LOT of money to my alma mater for fully-funded endowments so I DO CARE, and would like our voices to be at least listened to. We are in the trenches so to speak.

Theres nothing the matter with the FD. All the bitching is about minor inconveniences.

NDSU92
01-12-2023, 05:51 PM
Just get the same architect who did the seating at the SHAC to redo the seats in the Dome. There's probably the extra 5k seats you're looking for right there.

In all seriousness, the FargoDome is fine. Someday hopefully it will be horribly undersized and by then we'll have our next move already in the works. If we're talking actual attendance, 19k actual butts in seats puts us in the top half of any G5 conference. Not bad for a lowly little FCS move-up.

Would love to have more for a conference championship/late rivalry game, but not at the cost of the $300M it would take to do it right.

OrygunBison
01-12-2023, 05:54 PM
Just get the same architect who did the seating at the SHAC to redo the seats in the Dome. There's probably the extra 5k seats you're looking for right there.

I realize that you're just goofing but if we went to bench seating on the existing concrete stadium, there's probably about 4,000 seats available as well but you'd keep the leg room.

56BISON73
01-12-2023, 05:56 PM
I realize that you're just goofing but if we went to bench seating on the existing concrete stadium, there's probably about 4,000 seats available as well but you'd keep the leg room.

You wouldnt need the extra seating if you went to bench seating.

NDSU92
01-12-2023, 05:58 PM
If I told y'all NDSU had a free $300M to use in athletics, where would you use it?

A new 40k football stadium? Or an additional $12M per year in athletics budget using that money as an endowment?

Son of a Bison
01-12-2023, 06:12 PM
Some fans would rather go once and spend $500 than go 10 times and spend $50 each time. I am guilty of this especially at places like Vegas or Disney World. How can NDSU capture a good mix of each type is crucial going forward.

Maybe have some meet and greets with former players before the game in the dome meeting areas.
Do a VIP tent at tailgate with express entrance into the dome afterwards. Maybe sell a few experiences where get to go on field for warmups or visit a practice. Use a corner of the dome for a private lounge with something more than beer.

tony
01-12-2023, 06:15 PM
The big question for NDSU is . . . All Sports, or just football. All sports would be a big deal. I assume you can’t goto the AAC as a football only.

They do already have one football-only member, but it's Navy.

BigHorns
01-12-2023, 06:27 PM

That is a quandry.

The problem is conferences like AAC are looking for markets where they CAN fill a 30k+ stadium like UCF, Houston, and Cinci did. Saying "no thanks, we're good with 19k" is telling that conference we're not a good fit for them. They want schools that have confidence in their growth.

And maybe we'll need to start off in the MAC for that reason.

HerdBot
01-12-2023, 06:47 PM

If we had a club level seating on the 50 that overlooks the field and has private restrooms, food, a bar etc... those would raise as much money than the fancy 50 yard lime seats. It would slightly boost capacity. If they remove thr north press box, that opens up some cheap seats. You can sell those for cheap. They could do corner raised party decks and sell those for cheap. Make like $10 standing room

southcliffbison
01-12-2023, 06:48 PM
If I told y'all NDSU had a free $300M to use in athletics, where would you use it?

A new 40k football stadium? Or an additional $12M per year in athletics budget using that money as an endowment?

Endowment......without a doubt. A stadium without a roof? No, thanks. I'll stay home; I'm an old guy and I hate going to football games dressed like I'm going ice fishing.

GreenfieldBison
01-12-2023, 06:59 PM
Endowment......without a doubt. A stadium without a roof? No, thanks. I'll stay home; I'm an old guy and I hate going to football games dressed like I'm going ice fishing.

Got to keep in mind you are not going to games after Thanksgiving. Open stadium down here for the local B!G team. It's slightly warmer in the metro than Fargo but not that much warmer.

HerdBot
01-12-2023, 07:02 PM

Theres nothing the matter with the FD. All the bitching is about minor inconveniences.

The dome is fine. It just needs some upgrades because its 30 years old.

Priorities
- Club seating on the west side. Huge donors
- Wider concourses
- more restrooms
- Minor cosmetic changes, like the Mills Fleetfarm looking marquee
- wifi
- corner suites or party decks
- hotel on site

Large indoor facilities typically break even or lose money. We have a unique arrangement in the dome that benefits the city and NDSU. They need each other. Without NDSU, the dome probably breaks even at best.

All these other FBS teams dont need 30k seat stadiums. Would it be nice to have an indoor 30k seater? Yeah but city doesnt need 2 domes and good luck funding a 500 million dollar facility, minimum

EndZoneQB
01-12-2023, 07:38 PM

I should point out I was NOT advocating for tearing it down. More so, a cheap way to add some seats. I saw bench seating floated(Dare I say standard in college stadiums?), adding some kind of SRO decks overlooking the field like the Bud Light Party deck. I obviously don't have numbers and how the math would work, but I feel like that would be low risk money to spend that allows some ability to get more people in the doors for peanuts. Obviously, not everyone wants to stand, but it's a start. We know for a fact people stopped trying to get tickets because 1. Prices increased on the second hand market 2. The information about availability does not permeate to the general public very well and 3. People just don't know where to even look(ties back to both 1 and 2) - tickets were always available at tailgating, even during the height of it.

Speaking of tailgating - allowing people to tailgate THROUGH the game would be an improvement as well. People could go to the game day event and not worry about finding tickets(and hopefully find some).

HerdBot
01-12-2023, 08:21 PM

I should point out I was NOT advocating for tearing it down. More so, a cheap way to add some seats. I saw bench seating floated(Dare I say standard in college stadiums?), adding some kind of SRO decks overlooking the field like the Bud Light Party deck. I obviously don't have numbers and how the math would work, but I feel like that would be low risk money to spend that allows some ability to get more people in the doors for peanuts. Obviously, not everyone wants to stand, but it's a start. We know for a fact people stopped trying to get tickets because 1. Prices increased on the second hand market 2. The information about availability does not permeate to the general public very well and 3. People just don't know where to even look(ties back to both 1 and 2) - tickets were always available at tailgating, even during the height of it.

Speaking of tailgating - allowing people to tailgate THROUGH the game would be an improvement as well. People could go to the game day event and not worry about finding tickets(and hopefully find some).

Tailgating has fallen off in recent years. Since the whole west side is reserved, it would be smart to allow people to tailgate on the east side or the RP lot with beer. When did they stop selling GA tailgating on the west? People used to wait in line for them

I've seen people do it east because they couldnt get a spot on the west and they dont know anyone. Its so dumb because they are setting up and trying to hide a beer

EC8CH
01-12-2023, 10:39 PM

Holy shit, I agree.

EP NDSU Fan
01-12-2023, 11:42 PM
Holy shit, I agree.

Not sure I would agree with minor inconveniences, FD is basically Target Center for football. View lines and usefulness of the structure are fine but updates to vanquish the early 90s are needed. This isn’t really a NDSU football issue, FD is the major regional venue and should be renovated. The real unfortunate part of putting the renovation out this long is we have real interest rates to deal with, but it might be a public development opportunity if we hit a recession and construction labor need a bump. I haven’t lived in State for years but does the city have gambling options as a funding source? I’m shocked how fast the Vikings were able to payoff US Bank with Epulltabs.

IndyBison
01-12-2023, 11:47 PM
I realize that you're just goofing but if we went to bench seating on the existing concrete stadium, there's probably about 4,000 seats available as well but you'd keep the leg room.As someone else said, most college football stadiums have mostly bench seats. I've been in Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, IU, Purdue, Arizona State. All mostly bench. The Michigan stadium claims to have a capacity of 108k. I contend you can't SEAT 108k. The game I attended, we stood sideways the entire game. If we were asked to turn and sit, there would not have been room.

I have no idea how many extra people you squeeze in if you put bench seats in the end zone and upper level sidelines, but I bet it's a significant number. That may not be good for concert goers, but all those stadiums I mentioned do occasionally hold concerts.

LefseBison
01-13-2023, 12:45 AM
I agree also about having tailgating allowed throughout the game. This could potentially attract new Bison fans, of which we do need. The new fans (or old fans, whatever) could get a taste of Bison fan life without tickets and might be able to be inspired enough to purchase tickets in the future. We need to constantly regenerate the fan base, bringing in a wide demographic, not just younger fans but anyone. Making the Bison Gameday experience more fun does not have to necessarily cost anything. What are other FCS or FBS fan bases doing in order to make their own Gameday experiences better. Those of you who travel for the Bison away-games might see some ideas. I hope the AD and others in charge of the FargoDome experience would be receptive to your ideas. NDSU has to meet the fans halfway. I see complacency in our fan base but I also see it is the Athletic department. Don't take the fans for granted!

HerdBot
01-13-2023, 12:49 AM
Not sure I would agree with minor inconveniences, FD is basically Target Center for football. View lines and usefulness of the structure are fine but updates to vanquish the early 90s are needed. This isn’t really a NDSU football issue, FD is the major regional venue and should be renovated. The real unfortunate part of putting the renovation out this long is we have real interest rates to deal with, but it might be a public development opportunity if we hit a recession and construction labor need a bump. I haven’t lived in State for years but does the city have gambling options as a funding source? I’m shocked how fast the Vikings were able to payoff US Bank with Epulltabs.

Yep. The Target Center is basically the same age as the dome and its already had 2 major rennovations. Even the Alerus Center is already working on adding a giant aquatics center and indoor sports facility to the existing building. https://www.valleynewslive.com/2023/01/12/indoor-multi-use-sports-facility-aquatics-center-could-soon-come-grand-forks/
Details forthcoming. (Thats going to fuck their already miserable parking, but thats another story) Meanwhile we've added the west side addition since 1993 and that's it. If the dome doesnt get rolling, its going to fall further behind.

Its a solid building but the lack of suites will cap any future revenue. The lack of concourse space, restrooms, wifi, and better concessions need to be addressed. We need to get the ball rolling. Dave Piepkorn said back in August an announcement is coming. 5 months later https://kfgo.com/2022/08/24/city-commissioner-describes-upcoming-announcement-on-fargodome-as-a-great-thing/

56BISON73
01-13-2023, 01:18 AM
As someone else said, most college football stadiums have mostly bench seats. I've been in Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, IU, Purdue, Arizona State. All mostly bench. The Michigan stadium claims to have a capacity of 108k. I contend you can't SEAT 108k. The game I attended, we stood sideways the entire game. If we were asked to turn and sit, there would not have been room.

I have no idea how many extra people you squeeze in if you put bench seats in the end zone and upper level sidelines, but I bet it's a significant number. That may not be good for concert goers, but all those stadiums I mentioned do occasionally hold concerts.

When Iowa reseated they lost seating because they made the seats on the bench seating bigger because if you came late to the game you couldnt find a place to sit.

CyPanth
01-13-2023, 03:18 AM

Which of the AAC teams will draw more Bison fans to Fargo than SDSU, UNI, even Illinois State? I don't see Bison fans getting all that excited about Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, UAB, Temple, USF, or Rice. Navy might be the only one to get a sellout.

NDSU92
01-13-2023, 03:39 AM
Which of the AAC teams will draw more Bison fans to Fargo than SDSU, UNI, even Illinois State? I don't see Bison fans getting all that excited about Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, UAB, Temple, USF, or Rice. Navy might be the only one to get a sellout.

Besides SDSU you would have a hard time finding an FCS team that I care about. If I’m in town I’ll go because I love SU, but beating UNI for the 18th time in a row or whatever it is at this point ain’t it anymore

EC8CH
01-13-2023, 03:40 AM
Besides SDSU you would have a hard time finding an FCS team that I care about. If I’m in town I’ll go because I love SU, but beating UNI for the 18th time in a row or whatever it is at this point ain’t it anymore

Fresh FBS Fish! Bring it to Fargo!

HerdBot
01-13-2023, 02:56 PM

You forgot Tulane, just beat USC in the Cotton Bowl. Most of those teams are more interesting. But you're asking the wrong question. What excites Bison fans about Western Illinois, Indiana State, Murray State and Misery State?. Those are road games that have 1,000 fans. In the AAC it would qctually be a road crowd

The biggest draw is non conference games vs the likes of Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Wyoming, Boise, JMU, etc

Also were actually going to lose more than 1 or 2 games a year, which ironically is a good thing because it makes games important and must win

The regular season conference championship winner hosts the AAC Championship Game on ABC, on a Saturday. Fans would love that

UNI, unfortunately doesnt excite Bison fans anymore. Havent won in Fargo since 2009 and most of the games are blow outs.

I think if NDSU goes, its a 2 for 1 with SDSU

TAILG8R
01-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Also were actually going to lose more than 1 or 2 games a year, which ironically is a good thing because it makes games important and must win

I have started to realize that a couple losses or three a year could actually be a good thing for the state of apathy in NDSU's fanbase. Going to games, even in the playoffs where 90% of your fans "know" you're going to win creates such a lack of excitement and atmosphere. Personally I think games being decided before they even start is the biggest reason for the drop off in attendance.

So when the argument is made "what will happen when NDSU goes FBS and has nothing to play for and start losing games ..." My thought is, good, maybe people would actually care to go cheer for a team like that.

EndZoneQB
01-13-2023, 03:48 PM
[/b]

Tailgating has fallen off in recent years. Since the whole west side is reserved, it would be smart to allow people to tailgate on the east side or the RP lot with beer. When did they stop selling GA tailgating on the west? People used to wait in line for them

I've seen people do it east because they couldnt get a spot on the west and they dont know anyone. Its so dumb because they are setting up and trying to hide a beer

This is honestly why we stopped going. It became the haves vs the have nots, despite the fact we were there very early on in the small west lot when it was GA. I'll admit we could have had the pick of our spots over there when they expanded reserved, but at the time, it didn't seem like the right move. After that initial wave, I didn't have enough points to basically get a seat at the table, so to speak, despite having season tickets for ~20 years at the time. We got pushed out to the auxiliary lot by the softball fields. It was our oversight for not getting reserved right away, but it escalated so quickly and we liked the GA stuff.

I get that's how it goes, it just feels like the little guy is left out - and that doesn't mean my crew, we are aware of the options...the regular people that want to go to games just don't even know what they don't know.

That epulltabs thing was a HUGE question mark at first - I actually had to look it up after you said something because I remember early returns were not good. Glad to see it turned around, but there shouldn't have been public money involved in that extortion anyway. But that's a conversation for another time.

As someone else said, most college football stadiums have mostly bench seats. I've been in Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, IU, Purdue, Arizona State. All mostly bench. The Michigan stadium claims to have a capacity of 108k. I contend you can't SEAT 108k. The game I attended, we stood sideways the entire game. If we were asked to turn and sit, there would not have been room.

Had a similar experience at Memorial in Lincoln. Your knees are in the back of the people in front of you and same for the people behind you. You CAN sit, but it's like everyone sits and stands as a group or you are in trouble lol

I agree also about having tailgating allowed throughout the game. This could potentially attract new Bison fans, of which we do need. The new fans (or old fans, whatever) could get a taste of Bison fan life without tickets and might be able to be inspired enough to purchase tickets in the future. We need to constantly regenerate the fan base, bringing in a wide demographic, not just younger fans but anyone. Making the Bison Gameday experience more fun does not have to necessarily cost anything. What are other FCS or FBS fan bases doing in order to make their own Gameday experiences better. Those of you who travel for the Bison away-games might see some ideas. I hope the AD and others in charge of the FargoDome experience would be receptive to your ideas. NDSU has to meet the fans halfway. I see complacency in our fan base but I also see it is the Athletic department. Don't take the fans for granted!

Exactly - it seems the powers that be really want NDSU football to be exclusive and not inclusive. Basically, if you have a ticket, you are part of the club, if not - we don't need your support. It's weird and honestly VERY North Dakota.

I have started to realize that a couple losses or three a year could actually be a good thing for the state of apathy in NDSU's fanbase. Going to games, even in the playoffs where 90% of your fans "know" you're going to win creates such a lack of excitement and atmosphere. Personally I think games being decided before they even start is the biggest reason for the drop off in attendance.

So when the argument is made "what will happen when NDSU goes FBS and has nothing to play for and start losing games ..." My thought is, good, maybe people would actually care to go cheer for a team like that.

Yes. The 2019 year, with the "unknown" at QB(laughable now) made me far more excited for the season than watching Easton Stick just be better than everyone else. I had no idea we had someone as good(probably better, but *really* hard for me to put someone above Stick - one of the best college football players I've seen) waiting in the wings. I was like hey we might have some struggles and games will be close. 16-0 later lol but yeah, some adversity is fine - just not what we experienced in Frisco. That looks like we are falling, and not upwards.

tony
01-13-2023, 03:54 PM
A tailgating area set aside so people can transition from tailgating to a controlled beer garden to watch the game would be pretty cool.

Kujava23
01-13-2023, 04:05 PM

I couldve said something similar when moved from D2 to FCS---when went to Great West

CyPanth
01-13-2023, 04:20 PM

So, other than Navy (which I suggested) and Tulane (mentioned by HerdBot), no one has identified any AAC team that would draw fans to home games. I think that is evidence proving my point.

However, an argument has been made that a few loses might increase interest because wins would no longer be taken for granted. OK, not sure I buy it, but I have a proposal. In 2023, please give UNI the win so that we can test the theory!

tony
01-13-2023, 04:24 PM
I couldve said something similar when moved from D2 to FCS---when went to Great West

Lots of people did say that. Heck, I didn't think that NDSU would have any natural rivals in the Gateway (no MVFC) either, but the rivalry with UNI was immediate. And the idea of SDSU being considered a rival was a complete joke until, suddenly, it wasn't - the players sure bought in immediately.

I don't see obvious rivals in any G5 conference either, but they tend to develop with NDSU and until they do, maybe novelty will sustain interest.

That said, most Fargo fans are bandwagoneers. WBB used to be the hardest ticket in town. Then VB was sold out. The second those teams started losing, people stayed away. If NDSU wins at the FBS level, tickets will sell. If not, you won't be able to pay people to go. There will always be a core group of fans though. We need to grow that core.

RANT: IMO, there are certain segments of any fandom that are toxic and seem hellbent on destroying what they claim to love by driving people away with their unceasing negativity. You see it with movie franchises, and you see it with sports teams. I don't think NDSU should spend any effort on making them happy because, spoiler: They never will be. That's just my opinion, of course. Most folks spend more time trying to enjoy things, but they are much quieter. END RANT.

totoinfl
01-13-2023, 05:02 PM
So, other than Navy (which I suggested) and Tulane (mentioned by HerdBot), no one has identified any AAC team that would draw fans to home games. I think that is evidence proving my point.

However, an argument has been made that a few loses might increase interest because wins would no longer be taken for granted. OK, not sure I buy it, but I have a proposal. In 2023, please give UNI the win so that we can test the theory!

It sucks they just lost UCF, Cincinnati and Houston to the Big 12. I would go to see all of those teams. I have been to several games at the Bounce House at UCF....fun venue.

Gully
01-13-2023, 05:28 PM

I would say all of them would draw fans relative to Indiana State, Murray State, Western Illinois, etc.

56BISON73
01-13-2023, 05:29 PM
Lots of people did say that. Heck, I didn't think that NDSU would have any natural rivals in the Gateway (no MVFC) either, but the rivalry with UNI was immediate. And the idea of SDSU being considered a rival was a complete joke until, suddenly, it wasn't - the players sure bought in immediately.

I don't see obvious rivals in any G5 conference either, but they tend to develop with NDSU and until they do, maybe novelty will sustain interest.

That said, most Fargo fans are bandwagoneers. WBB used to be the hardest ticket in town. Then VB was sold out. The second those teams started losing, people stayed away. If NDSU wins at the FBS level, tickets will sell. If not, you won't be able to pay people to go. There will always be a core group of fans though. We need to grow that core.

RANT: IMO, there are certain segments of any fandom that are toxic and seem hellbent on destroying what they claim to love by driving people away with their unceasing negativity. You see it with movie franchises, and you see it with sports teams. I don't think NDSU should spend any effort on making them happy because, spoiler: They never will be. That's just my opinion, of course. Most folks spend more time trying to enjoy things, but they are much quieter. END RANT.

What you forget is UNI was a huge rival for many years before the gateway.

You are correct about the complainers. The same people who bitched about tailgate are bitching about tailgate even though it has expanded greatly. Same people who bitched about no beer are still bitching about something else.

NDSU92
01-13-2023, 05:37 PM

And other than SDSU and UND, what MVFC games are going to bring out the fans in the droves you so desire?

Besides those two games, every other team on the schedule would be a major upgrade

CyPanth
01-13-2023, 05:42 PM
And other than SDSU and UND, what MVFC games are going to bring out the fans in the droves you so desire?

Besides those two games, every other team on the schedule would be a major upgrade

You might get a few more fans the first time you play SMU or Rice, but when you start losing at home more often, I'm not sure that the "competitiveness" of playing in the AAC will bring your fans back. MWC or Pac-12, maybe, but AAC, nope.

NDSU92
01-13-2023, 05:53 PM
You might get a few more fans the first time you play SMU or Rice, but when you start losing at home more often, I'm not sure that the "competitiveness" of playing in the AAC will bring your fans back. MWC or Pac-12, maybe, but AAC, nope.

Is a UNI and Iowa State fan trying to educate me on the behaviors of winning fan bases??

Hmm

56BISON73
01-13-2023, 05:56 PM

Weve had a generational turnover. All the excuse that have been given arent big enough to combat fans growing up and moving on with their lives and a change in priorities.

CyPanth
01-13-2023, 06:02 PM
Is a UNI and Iowa State fan trying to educate me on the behaviors of winning fan bases??

Hmm

Hey, I'm also a Georgia Southern fan now! And what I'm really trying to do is to protect you from becoming like us! Georgia Southern didn't come close to a sellout for its home game with rival App State this year.

P.S. Iowa State knows how to pack a stadium! We went 5-19 under Chizik, but dramatically increased attendance. We rebuilt the south endzone and transformed the stadium under Paul Rhoads. If we are half-decent, we will have 60,000 per game.

scottietohottie
01-13-2023, 06:04 PM
Weve had a generational turnover. All the excuse that have been given arent big enough to combat fans growing up and moving on with their lives and a change in priorities.

A shitty product on the field makes life changes and priority change easier eh. And I'm not saying that's all ndsu. The opponents are jokes. The schedule is terrible. Right now they play all the decent teams at home one year and then all on the road the next year. So every other year is basically a joke. Who's in charge of valley scheduling eh? I might know the answer and be just trying to make a point eh.

56BISON73
01-13-2023, 06:14 PM
A shitty product on the field makes life changes and priority change easier eh. And I'm not saying that's all ndsu. The opponents are jokes. The schedule is terrible. Right now they play all the decent teams at home one year and then all on the road the next year. So every other year is basically a joke. Who's in charge of valley scheduling eh? I might know the answer and be just trying to make a point eh.

Shitty product on the field???? We just returned from a trip to the national championship of which we were playing. Granted this wasnt the same caliber teams as in the past. But they never are.

Bison Bridge Guy
01-13-2023, 06:18 PM

Is it being a bandwagon fan if you refuse to pay to watch a terrible product on the field/court? Because that was me for both basketball and volleyball. This year I am going to women's basketball again - they are fun to watch and are playing well.

IndyBison
01-13-2023, 06:20 PM

However, an argument has been made that a few loses might increase interest because wins would no longer be taken for granted. OK, not sure I buy it, but I have a proposal. In 2023, please give UNI the win so that we can test the theory!Some of the other schools have been ranked at times and I think would generate interest. With Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston leaving it creates an opportunity for some of the other schools to step up and lead the conference. SMU and Tulsa have been very good at times. USF is in a prime location to be good. UAB and UTSA had decent teams this year.

I agree though that we will get some fans back that were bored with FCS, but we'll also lose fans that only want to a championship team. 8-4 may not be good enough. They could be an 11-1 10-2 type team, but time will tell. I think overall though when you add in the quality of non conference games, the level of interest will still be strong.

tony
01-13-2023, 06:23 PM
What you forget is UNI was a huge rival for many years before the gateway.

You are correct about the complainers. The same people who bitched about tailgate are bitching about tailgate even though it has expanded greatly. Same people who bitched about no beer are still bitching about something else.

In theory, I knew of the UNI rivalry because of reading Ed Kolpack's book, but I thought it had died since we hadn't played them in the lifetime of any of our players. Looking back, I wonder if my perspective was skewed by a pro-Big Sky bias. I was really surprised by how quickly that rivalry took off with both the players and the fans.

HerdBot
01-13-2023, 06:47 PM

If you were talking about CUSA, I would agree. But the AAC is still solid. The bad teams in the AAC are way more intersting than the bad teams in the MVFC. There are no teams in the AAC that have less appeal than Indiana State, Western Illinois, and Murray State. USD doesn't excite most fans and they are generally not competitive.

Memphis is still in the conference. Everyone assumed they would end up in the Big 12

SMU would be a huge draw

North Texas is interesting. I've driven by their stadium every trip to Frisco. Tulsa is way better than Indiana State.

New teams coming to the AAC are University of Alabama Birmingham, FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice and UTSA for a trip to the Alamo Dome

EP NDSU Fan
01-13-2023, 06:48 PM

You would think both USF and Memphis would be good draws. USF needs to play better but it’s a known brand. Rice and Temple would be difficult, no track record of good football or fan engagement. The AAC would be money for away games lots of fun cities and good weather. Really the reason the AAC is the best G5 is the time zones and normal game days. The MWC has better peer institutions, flagship state schools, but all the late kickoffs you suck.

HerdBot
01-13-2023, 06:52 PM
You would think both USF and Memphis would be good draws. USF needs to play better but it’s a known brand. Rice and Temple would be difficult, no track record of good football or fan engagement. The AAC would be money for away games lots of fun cities and good weather. Really the reason the AAC is the best G5 is the time zones and normal game days. The MWC has better peer institutions, flagship state schools, but all the late kickoffs you suck.

UTSA would be a fun road trip to the Alamo dome. Sure beats Indiana State or Western Illinois.

SMU would be packed to the rafters.

Memphis in Fargo? Are you kidding me

Navy, Temple, and Tulane (in New Orleans).

Tulsa is a hell of alot more exciting to me than Southern Illinois.

Florida Atlantic - Right off the ocean

Charlotte

Of course we would get good non conference FBS games in Fargo. Right now the peak is Delaware

B.Schlossman Fan Club
01-14-2023, 03:47 PM
AAC would be a no brainer if we could just get an invite…….. big if. No point in arguing about it.

taper
01-14-2023, 05:28 PM
In theory, I knew of the UNI rivalry because of reading Ed Kolpack's book, but I thought it had died since we hadn't played them in the lifetime of any of our players. Looking back, I wonder if my perspective was skewed by a pro-Big Sky bias. I was really surprised by how quickly that rivalry took off with both the players and the fans.
That rivalry took off when Pat Paschall punched a UNI player that rode him into the wall. We had a few years of really good games against a team with mutual hatred, then they fell off a cliff and now they're just another conference team that's only dangerous if we overlook them.

While the xDSU's getting a FB only invite to the AAC would be really cool, that simply isn't going to happen. Other than Lakes, is there actually anybody with enough football knowledge to know of the existence of the AAC but with so little football knowledge that they think we'd get an invite?

daddy daycare
01-14-2023, 05:45 PM
How long until this thread ends up with the “NDSU to CUSA” thread from 11/2021

heffray
01-14-2023, 09:15 PM
How long until this thread ends up with the “NDSU to CUSA” thread from 11/2021

Fuck, it’s there now…

SDbison
01-14-2023, 09:19 PM
So when will this be announced?

EC8CH
01-14-2023, 09:36 PM
so when will this be announced?

asap imho......

EP NDSU Fan
01-16-2023, 02:28 PM
AAC would be a no brainer if we could just get an invite…….. big if. No point in arguing about it.

At what point does the top half of the MVFC and Big Sky say F it and try to form a football only FBS conference. The NCAA is at its weakest point in history and you would be talking about 16 US Senators depending on who wants to go.

Would this be better than the AAC from a peer institution perspective?

NDSU | SDSU | Mo State | Ill State | Montana | Montana State | Idaho | Sac State | UC Davis | Weber

The AAC is just a weird mix of high end private and large second (third ?) tier state schools.

Not sure Sac State and UC Davis have interest but those two and Weber all have +25k enrollments, all the others are top tier state schools. Day one this conference is better than the MAC and CUSA but I think more importantly these are closer to NDSU from an institutional perspective, even more so the the current MFVC. The directional valley schools and Murray State would be a great fit with Mankato and Duluth, just sayin'.

HerdBot
01-16-2023, 03:45 PM
At what point does the top half of the MVFC and Big Sky say F it and try to form a football only FBS conference. The NCAA is at its weakest point in history and you would be talking about 16 US Senators depending on who wants to go.

NDSU | SDSU | Mo State | Ill State | Montana | Montana State | Idaho | Sac State | UC Davis | Weber

The AAC is just a weird mix of high end private and large second (third ?) tier state schools.

Not sure Sac State and UC Davis have interest but those two and Weber all have +25k enrollments, all the others are top tier state schools. Day one this conference is better than the MAC and CUSA but I think more importantly these are closer to NDSU from an institutional perspective, even more so the the current MFVC. The directional valley schools and Murray State would be a great fit with Mankato and Duluth, just sayin'.

Mo State, Ill State, Sac State, UC Davis & Weber are a 3rd tier schools in their states and bring very little interest from NDSU fans or nationwide.

Navy, Memphis, SMU, and Tulane are on a different stratosphere IMO.Temple had name recognition. Almost all of the other schools have better stadiums, fan bases and attendance. Tulsa, North Texas, Tulsa, Charlotte, South Florida, UAB, FAU, Rice and UTSA are way more interesting IMO

EP NDSU Fan
01-16-2023, 06:28 PM
Mo State, Ill State, Sac State, UC Davis & Weber are a 3rd tier schools in their states and bring very little interest from NDSU fans or nationwide.

Navy, Memphis, SMU, and Tulane are on a different stratosphere IMO.Temple had name recognition. Almost all of the other schools have better stadiums, fan bases and attendance. Tulsa, North Texas, Tulsa, Charlotte, South Florida, UAB, FAU, Rice and UTSA are way more interesting IMO

Agreed fan interest will never compete with a service academy or SMU, which could be in PAC school, but those schools I mentioned would replace Murray State, ISUb, and the directional Illinois. Our 2023 conference schedule is a mess, we could be worse next year and still be a one loss team going into the playoffs. The AD has to see next year's home attendance issues coming right? Everyone is going to spend their football fun money for the US Bank game then what is the motivation to spend more on Maine, Central Arkansas, USD, WIU, Murray State, and SIU. Does actual home attendance get into the 12k range. Maybe I'm being an ass but I wouldn't drive from MSP for any of those games.

I also agree on stadium point, Sac State and Weber need to ditch the track football combos.

reformedUNDfan
01-16-2023, 06:35 PM

So a worse mountain west. Hard pass

reformedUNDfan
01-16-2023, 06:36 PM

Uc Davis is an elite world class institution

Edit: even the USnew rankings, with their strong bias toward small and private schools, thinks it's a top 40 US University

EP NDSU Fan
01-16-2023, 07:28 PM

Edit: even the USnew rankings, with their strong bias toward small and private schools, thinks it's a top 40 US University

I was looking at those rankings too. Illinois State at 221 was a surprise. Much higher than the other Illinois state schools. Also looks like Mo State is getting the Mankato treatment from their state legislature. Lack of investment based on pushing more people to the flagship university.

NDSU92
01-16-2023, 08:37 PM

I get it they’re a great school but it’s been shown that at the G5 level that gets you next to nothing.

His point was that fans of UC Davis are vast majority alumni only and even those are probably Cal, UCLA or even Stanford or USC fans first.

HerdBot
01-16-2023, 08:58 PM

Without question. But they havent been relevant in football for decades.

Tulane just beat USC in the Cotton Bowl and finished the season ranked 9th.

Thats incredible

reformedUNDfan
01-16-2023, 10:54 PM
I get it they’re a great school but it’s been shown that at the G5 level that gets you next to nothing.

His point was that fans of UC Davis are vast majority alumni only and even those are probably Cal, UCLA or even Stanford or USC fans first.

Move UC Davis up a league and that changes overnight.

IndyBison
01-16-2023, 11:46 PM
Move UC Davis up a league and that changes overnight.I'm sure it bothers them Fresno State and San Jose State are FBS, and they aren't. In general, the UC schools are a higher tier than the CSU schools. And Davis is just below UC-Berkley and UC-Los Angeles (aka UCLA).

HerdBot
01-17-2023, 04:41 AM
Move UC Davis up a league and that changes overnight.

It didnt help them elevate that much when they moved up from D2

GreenfieldBison
02-02-2023, 07:07 PM
From the Chatbot (30 second conversation):

Me: Explain why or why not NDSU should move up to FBS

Bot: Whether North Dakota State University (NDSU) should move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) depends on several factors such as financial and competitive considerations, as well as the potential benefits and drawbacks for the university and its athletic programs.
On one hand, moving up to FBS could bring more exposure and prestige to the university, as well as increase revenue through television contracts, ticket sales, and sponsorships. On the other hand, moving up to FBS also comes with increased costs, including higher scholarships and facilities upgrades, which can put a strain on the athletic department's budget. Additionally, NDSU would likely face increased competition in the FBS, which could impact its overall success on the field.
Ultimately, the decision to move up to FBS should be based on a thorough analysis of the potential benefits and drawbacks, and should take into account the university's overall goals and priorities.

Me: What would be the single most important factor in this decision

Bot: The single most important factor in the decision for North Dakota State University (NDSU) to move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) would likely be the financial aspect. The move to FBS would require significant investments in scholarships, facilities, and staffing, and it is crucial to ensure that the athletic department has the financial resources to support these investments and maintain a competitive program. Additionally, the university would need to be confident that the revenue generated from increased ticket sales, television contracts, and sponsorships would be enough to offset the increased expenses. The financial aspect would also determine the feasibility of NDSU to maintain its athletic programs in the long term.
While other factors such as competitiveness, exposure, and prestige are also important, the financial aspect would be the key driver in the decision to move up to FBS or not.

El_Chapo
02-02-2023, 07:09 PM
Stfu ai !!

Hammerhead
02-02-2023, 09:35 PM
Incorrect! NDSU could lose money on a media deal if we join some loser G5 conference. Your chatbot must destroy itself like the robot did who thought Captain Kirk was his creator.

http://kethinov.com/images/startrek/TOS2x03.png

From the Chatbot (30 second conversation):

Me: Explain why or why not NDSU should move up to FBS

Bot: Whether North Dakota State University (NDSU) should move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) depends on several factors such as financial and competitive considerations, as well as the potential benefits and drawbacks for the university and its athletic programs.
On one hand, moving up to FBS could bring more exposure and prestige to the university, as well as increase revenue through television contracts, ticket sales, and sponsorships. On the other hand, moving up to FBS also comes with increased costs, including higher scholarships and facilities upgrades, which can put a strain on the athletic department's budget. Additionally, NDSU would likely face increased competition in the FBS, which could impact its overall success on the field.
Ultimately, the decision to move up to FBS should be based on a thorough analysis of the potential benefits and drawbacks, and should take into account the university's overall goals and priorities.

Me: What would be the single most important factor in this decision

Bot: The single most important factor in the decision for North Dakota State University (NDSU) to move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) would likely be the financial aspect. The move to FBS would require significant investments in scholarships, facilities, and staffing, and it is crucial to ensure that the athletic department has the financial resources to support these investments and maintain a competitive program. Additionally, the university would need to be confident that the revenue generated from increased ticket sales, television contracts, and sponsorships would be enough to offset the increased expenses. The financial aspect would also determine the feasibility of NDSU to maintain its athletic programs in the long term.
While other factors such as competitiveness, exposure, and prestige are also important, the financial aspect would be the key driver in the decision to move up to FBS or not.

heffray
02-02-2023, 09:38 PM
Incorrect! NDSU could lose money on a media deal if we join some loser G5 conference. Your chatbot must destroy itself like the robot did who thought Captain Kirk was his creator.

Danger, Will Robinson.

tony
02-02-2023, 09:45 PM
I'm sure it bothers them Fresno State and San Jose State are FBS, and they aren't. In general, the UC schools are a higher tier than the CSU schools. And Davis is just below UC-Berkley and UC-Los Angeles (aka UCLA).

Man, if I had to choose between UC Davis and Berkley, I'd choose Davis so fast that you'd have to slow down the video to see me sign my acceptance letter.

123Gobison
02-02-2023, 11:19 PM

Middle of nowhere, 20 miles outside Sacramento, surrounded by Olive tree framland,

NDSU92
02-02-2023, 11:38 PM
I'm sure it bothers them Fresno State and San Jose State are FBS, and they aren't. In general, the UC schools are a higher tier than the CSU schools. And Davis is just below UC-Berkley and UC-Los Angeles (aka UCLA).

I don’t think they care all that much, which is why they aren’t FBS

BigHorns
02-03-2023, 03:20 AM
AAC Houston #3 ranked basketball team in the country, playing great.
Have to think that played a role in their B12 invite.

That league is legit in basketball. FAU who is joining this year ranked #19, and Memphis getting votes.
We need to step up our basketball game to get taken seriously by the AAC.

cbline
02-03-2023, 04:16 PM
AAC Houston #3 ranked basketball team in the country, playing great.
Have to think that played a role in their B12 invite.

That league is legit in basketball. FAU who is joining this year ranked #19, and Memphis getting votes.
We need to step up our basketball game to get taken seriously by the civilized world.

Fixed it for you.

El_Chapo
02-08-2023, 02:26 AM
if AAC loses a team to MWC in this round of domino's NDSU could slide right in to that 1 spot.

southcliffbison
02-08-2023, 03:09 AM
Middle of nowhere, 20 miles outside Sacramento, surrounded by Olive tree framland,

......and this is somehow a bad thing? Rather there than anywhere in Los Angeles county or San Francisco.

123Gobison
02-08-2023, 04:38 AM
......and this is somehow a bad thing? Rather there than anywhere in Los Angeles county or San Francisco.

Its very hard to imagine UC Davis with a football program.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
02-08-2023, 06:00 PM
If SMU and San Diego St get their invites to the PAC 12. What are the chances NDSU gets an invite to the AAC or the MWC?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

bstark28
02-08-2023, 06:51 PM
If SMU and San Diego St get their invites to the PAC 12. What are the chances NDSU gets an invite to the AAC or the MWC?

I was wondering the same thing....have to think we'd at least be in the discussion.

OrygunBison
02-08-2023, 08:48 PM

It's very difficult for me to decipher what your fucking point is most of the time.

56BISON73
02-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Its very hard to imagine UC Davis with a football program.

Youre lucky that breathing is part of the autonomic nervous system or you would be dead.

reformedUNDfan
02-08-2023, 09:43 PM

I don't think anyone would leave the Sunbelt, I'm not sure who they would want from the MAC

HerdBot
02-08-2023, 10:22 PM
if AAC loses a team to MWC in this round of domino's NDSU could slide right in to that 1 spot.

I think it could be the other way around. The AAC wants Air Force. Although UTEP fits the MWC better IMO

EC8CH
02-08-2023, 11:06 PM
I think it could be the other way around. The AAC wants Air Force. Although UTEP fits the MWC better IMO

Who's grandmother does Lakes need to sleep with to make this AAC deal a reality... time to stop pussy footing around and get serious about this shit.

ByeSonBusiness
02-08-2023, 11:10 PM

Someone cheering for NDSU should maybe reconsider scoffing at a place just outside the capital of California being "middle of nowhere."

EC8CH
02-08-2023, 11:11 PM
Someone cheering for NDSU should maybe reconsider scoffing at a place just outside the capital of California being "middle of nowhere."

Look at the someone.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
02-08-2023, 11:51 PM
I think it could be the other way around. The AAC wants Air Force. Although UTEP fits the MWC better IMOGood call on Air Force. That could open two spots in the MWC. And possibly more if they decide to expand.

Bisonator98
02-09-2023, 12:09 PM
Who's grandmother does Lakes need to sleep with to make this AAC deal a reality... time to stop pussy footing around and get serious about this shit.

The AAC comish's? Not sure if she's still alive though, maybe his wife??

scottietohottie
02-09-2023, 12:22 PM

Somebody ashamed of being from North Dakota should just shut teh heck up eh.

gotts
02-09-2023, 02:02 PM
Should I still be preparing thyself?

heffray
02-09-2023, 02:16 PM
Should I still be preparing thyself?

“Theyself,” gotts. Yes, prepare THEYSELF…

The_Sicatoka
02-09-2023, 03:13 PM

Is that his technique with grannies?

OrygunBison
02-09-2023, 03:14 PM

Easy there, tiger. I had the same sentiment as what I think he had...which is that if you're ripping on Davis because of it's remote location, you're kinda ripping on much of the midwest, which is stupid. It's dumb to use proximity of anything else to evaluate the worth of a place. Just like places like London, Tokyo, NYC and Davis, people live in Fargo or Minot or Beulah or Hallock or Blue Earth because they love it and can't imagine anything better. (Well, maybe not Minot but you get my point...)

IndyBison
02-09-2023, 04:43 PM
Easy there, tiger. I had the same sentiment as what I think he had...which is that if you're ripping on Davis because of it's remote location, you're kinda ripping on much of the midwest, which is stupid. It's dumb to use proximity of anything else to evaluate the worth of a place. Just like places like London, Tokyo, NYC and Davis, people live in Fargo or Minot or Beulah or Hallock or Blue Earth because they love it and can't imagine anything better. (Well, maybe not Minot but you get my point...)Hey! What's wrong with Minot?

MyOhMy
02-09-2023, 04:44 PM
Hey! What's wrong with Minot?

It's the armpit of North Dakota.

HerdBot
02-09-2023, 05:02 PM
It's the armpit of North Dakota.

I was thinking the space between the back of your nut sack and rectum. That's Minot

cbline
02-09-2023, 06:34 PM
I was thinking the space between the back of your nut sack and rectum. That's Minot

My wife and I lived in Minot from 1985 to 1989 for our first jobs. A couple observations: At that time, no one just "dropped in" to visit when passing through Minot like traveling through Bismarck, Fargo, or Grand Forks. Second, we found that the town at that time seemed to fall into three categories: people who were born and raised in Minot, those who were with the Air Force, and everyone else (the group that we fell into). We found it difficult to break into the other two social circles.

In fact, at one of our church's goal-planning sessions, people not born in Minot were called "transients." My, what a welcoming statement that was. :(

heffray
02-09-2023, 07:31 PM

Those thoughts seem tainted.

mtoutfitter
02-09-2023, 07:34 PM
Those thoughts seem tainted.

I see what you did there.

OrygunBison
02-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Hey! What's wrong with Minot?

You took the bait!

GreenfieldBison
02-09-2023, 08:57 PM

It has another name: Perineum

1998braves64
02-09-2023, 09:07 PM

Have you been there? Not in the middle of nowhere. For 90% of Californians, it probably feels that way but definitely not for 99% of North Dakotans. Drove right by campus on a work trip making my way back to Sacramento Airport.

El_Chapo
02-09-2023, 09:08 PM
quit hi jacking this thread you hoopelites!

TAILG8R
02-09-2023, 09:09 PM
It has another name: Perineum

Great band name. The Perineum All-Stars

EC8CH
02-09-2023, 10:45 PM
quit hi jacking this thread you hoopelites!

https://www.worldhistory.org/img/c/p/1200x627/152.jpg

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-09-2023, 10:50 PM
Isn’t "theyself" sort of an oxymoron?

OrygunBison
02-09-2023, 10:53 PM

Who you callin' Oxy?!?!

- Moron

heffray
02-09-2023, 11:01 PM

It’s one of the better typos on this site. An their our alot.

reformedUNDfan
02-10-2023, 01:56 AM

Have you seen out legislature

TAILG8R
02-10-2023, 02:22 AM
Have you seen out legislature

No kidding. Yikes is an understatement

EC8CH
02-10-2023, 02:46 AM
No kidding. Yikes is an understatement

Captain kangaroo looking MFer.

Minimum8Pete
02-10-2023, 12:27 PM
shits poppin. aint sayin NDSUs getting called outta d2 but if theres a chance its gonna be in the next 12 mos

CyPanth
02-10-2023, 01:28 PM
shits poppin. aint sayin NDSUs getting called outta d2 but if theres a chance its gonna be in the next 12 mos

Is this post from 2003? :confused:

KSBisonFan
02-10-2023, 02:11 PM

Just as good a chance it's from the future......maybe 2033.

bisoneer
02-13-2023, 03:29 AM
I'm all in for the AAC move. I might keep my season tickets then. Entz is right on this.

Minimum8Pete
02-13-2023, 01:25 PM

ur foolin yourself if u think we aint d2 right now lol. give fcs any name u want, theres still a full division above us. if you name change d2 to D1-A.A.A. it dont make em d1. theres still 2 levels above them. u can identify as anything u want but if theres divisions above you, u aint d1

Bisonator98
02-13-2023, 02:11 PM
ur foolin yourself if u think we aint d2 right now lol. give fcs any name u want, theres still a full division above us. if you name change d2 to D1-A.A.A. it dont make em d1. theres still 2 levels above them. u can identify as anything u want but if theres divisions above you, u aint d1

We're not even D2 right now. FCS is D3.

heffray
02-13-2023, 02:19 PM
We're not even D2 right now. FCS is D3.

I was just going to say this.

Minimum8Pete
02-13-2023, 02:24 PM
I was just going to say this.

haha preach! you aint wrestling heavyweight if theres 2 weight classes above you. truth

SDbison
02-13-2023, 03:47 PM
Did NDSU move to FBS yet?

CyPanth
02-14-2023, 03:38 AM

ur foolin yourself if u think you can post wit n edge :duel:

ByeSonBusiness
02-14-2023, 03:59 AM
Some folks seem very hung up on labels. Regardless of label, NDSU should try to be one higher than it is now.

El_Chapo
03-12-2023, 08:57 PM
watching the AAC finals on ESPN. they keep showing the AAC accolades in D1.

man I want NDSU in there..

El_Chapo
08-08-2023, 10:02 PM
HERE WE GO!

SMU out. AAC needs just 1 team to Fill = NDSU !!

Ross Dellenger
@RossDellenger
·
1h
The expansion conversation in the ACC goes beyond Stanford & Cal. A third school, SMU, is in consideration, sources tell @YahooSports.

CaBisonFan
08-09-2023, 02:55 AM
HERE WE GO!

SMU out. AAC needs just 1 team to Fill = NDSU !!

Ross Dellenger
@RossDellenger
·
1h
The expansion conversation in the ACC goes beyond Stanford & Cal. A third school, SMU, is in consideration, sources tell @YahooSports.. Hope you're right. NDSU should 'not' wait around for someone else. Time to move above and beyond.

Hammerhead
08-09-2023, 01:40 PM
It's kind of funny/sad when the Atlantic Coast Conference might absorb teams from the west coast.

El_Chapo
08-09-2023, 01:44 PM
well this is the AAC thread... not ACC. but your point stands.

what's more American than NDSU in the heartland... if SMU bolts NDSU can easily fill their spot.

we gotta do this on our own to maximize our sports programs. we can totally dump on the region colleges & drink up all their milkshakes... cue there will be blood movie

heffray
08-09-2023, 03:17 PM
It's kind of funny/sad when the Atlantic Coast Conference might absorb teams from the west coast.

Regardless of what happens with NDSU, as a fan of college football, I hope all this realignment leads to renaming the conferences…

southcliffbison
08-09-2023, 03:22 PM

I had the same funny thoughts when the F'n fawkers were forced to join the Big Sky Conference. I mean there's nothing that screams snow-covered mountains more than the Red River Valley.

heffray
08-09-2023, 03:31 PM
I had the same funny thoughts when the F'n fawkers were forced to join the Big Sky Conference. I mean there's nothing that screams snow-covered mountains more than the Red River Valley.

Kinda like if NDSU joins the MOUNTAIN West…?

…all these regional names need to go. Let’s get creative with some names.

SDbison
08-09-2023, 03:50 PM
Regardless of what happens with NDSU, as a fan of college football, I hope all this realignment leads to renaming the conferences… Since all these kids are getting paid why call it college football anymore?

heffray
08-09-2023, 04:05 PM
Since all these kids are getting paid why call it college football anymore?

Because they are going to college? I don’t really care about that…

HerdBot
08-09-2023, 06:16 PM
This would be amazing but there are more geographic
options for them

WhoRepsTheLurker
08-09-2023, 06:33 PM
options for them

Are there really though? People here keep undervaluing NDSUs brand. Look at Vannini's MWC fan poll. You all must be conditioned by what others have told you over the decades ...

Couple that with a complete G5 void in the upper midwest, and you get $$

ESPN will decide who the AAC adds

bstark28
08-09-2023, 06:58 PM
Are there really though? People here keep undervaluing NDSUs brand. Look at Vannini's MWC fan poll. You all must be conditioned by what others have told you over the decades ...

Couple that with a complete G5 void in the upper midwest, and you get $$

ESPN will decide who the AAC adds

Give me the AAC over the MAC any day of the week. If I remember correctly, Coach Entz was on record as stating that the American would be the preferred destination if they were ever to move up.

El_Chapo
08-09-2023, 07:14 PM
give me the aac over the mac any day of the week. If i remember correctly, coach entz was on record as stating that the american would be the preferred destination if they were ever to move up.

biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingo

reformedUNDfan
08-09-2023, 07:37 PM
options for them

NDSU is, head and shoulders, the best available and best known program for either the mwc or aac

Sun Bison
08-09-2023, 08:17 PM
NDSU is, head and shoulders, the best available and best known program for either the mwc or aac

WSU and OrSU are available with no buyout. I would say those two are both available and better known than NDSU. Good fit for the AAC? Maybe not, but, flying to the Pacific time zone you lose like one hour. Leave Charlotte at noon and arrive in Oregon or Washington at like 12:45pm local time.

NDSU92
08-09-2023, 08:25 PM
WSU and OrSU are available with no buyout. I would say those two are both available and better known than NDSU. Good fit for the AAC? Maybe not, but, flying to the Pacific time zone you lose like one hour. Leave Charlotte at noon and arrive in Oregon or Washington at like 12:45pm local time.

Right, and then for the flight back take off after the game Saturday night and land on Tuesday lol

CaBisonFan
08-09-2023, 08:50 PM
American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco said that we have a nice football program up here... lol. Nice... right.

Hammerhead
08-09-2023, 09:02 PM
Right, and then for the flight back take off after the game Saturday night and land on Tuesday lol

Game ends at 10:30 Pacific. Then board a bus at 11:30 to get from Corvallis to Eugene since there is no commercial airport close to OSU. Then fly home at midnight and land at 7:00 AM Eastern so Sunday is shot while players and coaches try to catch up on sleep.

southcliffbison
08-09-2023, 10:11 PM
Game ends at 10:30 Pacific. Then board a bus at 11:30 to get from Corvallis to Eugene since there is no commercial airport close to OSU. Then fly home at midnight and land at 7:00 AM Eastern so Sunday is shot while players and coaches try to catch up on sleep.

Imagine about 75 players and coaches falling asleep during a film session......

reformedUNDfan
08-09-2023, 10:32 PM

Last I heard is that they are being looked at by the big12

heffray
08-09-2023, 10:54 PM
Last I heard is that they are being looked at by the big12

Which means they’re still available to the MW…

EC8CH
08-10-2023, 12:22 AM
Are we there yet????????????

TAILG8R
08-10-2023, 12:28 AM
Are we there yet????????????

Any day now

EC8CH
08-10-2023, 01:05 AM
Any day now

It's taking foreeeeeeeeeeeeever.

HerdBot
08-10-2023, 01:17 AM

Agree but conferences seem to make strange decisions for the wrong reasons.

We have everything needed. Tradition, name recognotion, national brand, good ratings, NFL high draft picks, traveling fan base, strength in Minneapolis... and a bored fan base who would be as hyped as ever. We used to best Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado State and Kansas. Now they wont even schedule us

heffray
08-10-2023, 02:06 AM
It's taking foreeeeeeeeeeeeever.

That’s why you gotta prepare theyself…

HerdBot
08-10-2023, 02:37 AM

What happens first? The dome rennovation with hotel, the doubling of the airport, the FM Diversion Greenway, the new interstate loop system or an FBS invite?

El_Chapo
08-10-2023, 02:43 AM
What happens first? The dome rennovation with hotel, the doubling of the airport, the FM Diversion Greenway, the new interstate loop system or an FBS invite?

gotta be FBS. the attendance & lack of buzz HAS to slap NDSU admin the face, doesnt it?

EC8CH
08-10-2023, 02:44 AM

Prepare like how? Mummification? Cause it feels like it's taking that long.

heffray
08-10-2023, 04:31 AM

I’m going interstate loop all day.

heffray
08-10-2023, 04:32 AM
Prepare like how? Mummification? Cause it feels like it's taking that long.

He Cometh like thief in the night. Prepare theyself.

John 10:10

reformedUNDfan
08-10-2023, 04:33 AM

Airport followed by fbs

EP NDSU Fan
08-10-2023, 12:09 PM
Airport followed by fbs

Is an interstate loop system a real possibility? What would that even look like?

Hammerhead
08-10-2023, 01:19 PM
Is an interstate loop system a real possibility? What would that even look like?

Maybe a freeway from I-29 near Wild Rice to I-94 near Downer and an I-229 going around West Fargo. There is a proposal for a 2-lane bypass along the new diversion channel. https://www.valleynewslive.com/2023/05/05/new-highway-bypass-could-be-coming-fargo-moorhead/

TAILG8R
08-10-2023, 01:31 PM
I don't have full access but even the first few paragraphs are worth reading.

ACC presidents continue to discuss adding Stanford, Cal amid pushback within league: Source (https://theathletic.com/4764178/2023/08/09/acc-stanford-cal-realignment-talks/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=7412546)

870XPRS
08-10-2023, 01:59 PM

There is still 24 hours in each day....that doesn't change with timezones.

TAILG8R
08-10-2023, 02:39 PM

https://i.gifer.com/origin/66/66a43481a71e5d1097d9aae0823d9b72_w200.gif

El_Chapo
08-10-2023, 03:50 PM

ACC presidents continue to discuss adding Stanford, Cal amid pushback within league: Source (https://theathletic.com/4764178/2023/08/09/acc-stanford-cal-realignment-talks/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=7412546)

dangi Tailgt4.. that's the ACC. this is a AAC thread

TAILG8R
08-10-2023, 04:30 PM
dangi Tailgt4.. that's the ACC. this is a AAC thread

Isn't your hope that the ACC takes SMU so AAC invites NDSU?

In the above article " SMU is willing to forgo any conference revenue distribution for five years, as sources have indicated"

Hammerhead
08-10-2023, 07:56 PM

But you might spend 2 hours in the air staying close to home vs 6-7 hours in the air going from coast to coast.

BigHorns
08-10-2023, 10:17 PM

Stanford/Cal need 12 votes to go ACC, and apparently don't have it yet.
Last part is interesting also, basically ACC decision has cascade effect, and schools waiting for that outcome.

The ACC invitations would be important lifelines for Cal and Stanford, whose options are extremely limited after five Pac-12 schools left the league Friday. Both have excellent academic profiles but lack a serious commitment to big-time football and aren’t valued nearly the way their peers such as Oregon and Washington have been by media executives.

If they cannot land in the ACC, they may need to consider independence or dropping down from the Power 5 to the Group of 5, to either the Mountain West or the American Athletic Conference — both of whom would be interested in any or all of the four remaining Pac-12 members.

Oregon State and Washington State remain in something of a holding pattern as the ACC weighs its options. They and the Bay Area schools were the only Pac-12 schools left after Oregon and Washington left for the Big Ten and Arizona, Arizona State and Utah jumped to the Big 12 on Friday.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-10-2023, 10:40 PM

Better than any Sunbelt or CUSA team? The AAC would have a ton of options to choose from. Same with the MWC

reformedUNDfan
08-10-2023, 10:52 PM
Better than any Sunbelt or CUSA team? The AAC would have a ton of options to choose from. Same with the MWC

I don't think anyone is leaving the Sunbelt. They're gonna get a solid media contract next go around.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
08-10-2023, 10:56 PM
I don't think anyone is leaving the Sunbelt. They're gonna get a solid media contract next go around.I agree, I think the Sunbelt has definitely surpassed the American and probably even the mountain west. However, things could change completely depending on where the remaining pac 12 schools end up.

BigHorns
08-10-2023, 11:01 PM
I don't think anyone is leaving the Sunbelt. They're gonna get a solid media contract next go around.

AAC/MWC both have Texas St, and maybe one or two others like Georgia St on their radar.

Its not certain they would move, but they might for more money, or for local peers. AAC has UTSA, UNT, Rice, SMU all in Texas. Texas schools like playing each other.

AKBison
08-11-2023, 12:10 AM
AAC/MWC both have Texas St, and maybe one or two others like Georgia St on their radar.

Its not certain they would move, but they might for more money, or for local peers. AAC has UTSA, UNT, Rice, SMU all in Texas. Texas schools like playing each other.

Pretty much this. There a number of schools in front of us. The bottom line is that we aren't jumping the line from FCS to the MWC or AAC without substantial movement. Our absolute best opportunity is for the PAC to try and rebuild and poach the best of the AAC and MWC.

WhoRepsTheLurker
08-11-2023, 12:42 AM

and where did they all come from again?

BigHorns
08-11-2023, 01:42 AM
Pretty much this. There a number of schools in front of us. The bottom line is that we aren't jumping the line from FCS to the MWC or AAC without substantial movement. Our absolute best opportunity is for the PAC to try and rebuild and poach the best of the AAC and MWC.

PAC rebuild would certainly open more doors than if they fold themselves into another conference.
We want ACC to say no to this, and the PAC-4 to aggressively add schools instead.

Still feel our best chance is if/when MWC gets a few openings. AAC has a list of other schools they probably add first.

northendzone
08-11-2023, 12:41 PM
What is today's NDSU Football Press Conference about, does anyone know?

BISONBRI53
08-11-2023, 12:44 PM

Stoneybrook is stepping down and will contribute to Bisonville... Lakes gets a promotion and is taking over the AD job. FBS press conference Monday.

El_Chapo
08-11-2023, 12:46 PM

matt entz preseason presser I think... but I HOPE it's an announcement that NDSU is ready for a FBS invite to the AAC/MWC and will accept it asap when presented.

gotts
08-11-2023, 01:28 PM
Stoneybrook is stepping down and will contribute to Bisonville... Lakes gets a promotion and is taking over the AD job. FBS press conference Monday.

To be fair, you have been warned to prepare theyself

heffray
08-11-2023, 01:54 PM

So few people, even after warned, take the time to prepare theyselves, and it’s really astounding…

The_Sicatoka
08-11-2023, 02:18 PM

Should that include girding one's loins? Asking for scottie.

Professor Chaos
08-11-2023, 03:00 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/7vgjl2.jpg

bruinbison
08-11-2023, 03:35 PM
matt entz preseason presser I think... but I HOPE it's an announcement that NDSU is ready for a FBS invite to the AAC/MWC and will accept it asap when presented.

Now McFeely is lurking Chapo, wow

Mike McFeely
@McFeely_Inforum
It’s Entz’s annual preseason press conference. Been scheduled for a long time.

8:17 AM · Aug 11, 2023

The_Sicatoka
08-11-2023, 04:08 PM
Pre-season presser on a summer Friday? You'll get the newsroom second team covering it. Why not Monday.