PDA

View Full Version : We Will not win another NC under Entz. Discuss

Pages : [1] 2

WestCoastBison
01-08-2023, 10:52 PM
We will not win another NC with Matt Entz as Head Coach because_______

JohnnyExtacy
01-08-2023, 10:59 PM
This is a veru similiar thread to the one that circulated saying SDSU will never win one with Stiegelmeyer as their coach

scottietohottie
01-08-2023, 11:02 PM
Waddle Waddle

23Bison
01-08-2023, 11:06 PM
We will not win another NC with Matt Entz as Head Coach because_______

He doesn’t have the guts to replace a coordinator. Or two.

DCinOK
01-08-2023, 11:13 PM
We've regressed to the point where its all about the idiots we lost to today...we now have to build so as to beat those idiots, the way they used to build to beat us. Of course we've regressed.

Bisonator98
01-08-2023, 11:15 PM
Some of our fans are spoiled rotten. :smh:

HerdBot
01-08-2023, 11:18 PM
Our front 7 is small and gets pushed around. We dont have an elite pass rushing DE like Tuzska. We dont have a Menard, Tanguay, Leevon Perry, Jirek, Matthew Gratzek, Man Bear Pig, Kyle Emanuel, etc. You win with players. I see some younger guys we need to develop and build around

ndsubison1
01-08-2023, 11:19 PM
Sdsu is the heavy favorite next year. Im worried we regress even more next year.

23Bison
01-08-2023, 11:24 PM
Oh we’ll get there. FCS is hot garbage and our 2nd team has played all year and almost won the title. Plus our QB run game will be better since Cam will be 2 pounds heavier.

HerdBot
01-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Oh we’ll get there. FCS is hot garbage and our 2nd team has played all year and almost won the title. Plus our QB run game will be better since Cam will be 2 pounds heavier.

Even Sam Houston could make it to Frisco regularly. Until they played a real team. Were Sam Houston until we figure out how to beat SDSU

23Bison
01-08-2023, 11:28 PM
Even Sam Houston could make it to Frisco regularly. Until they played a real team

That’s the model we shall fallow.

DCinOK
01-08-2023, 11:33 PM

All of us are spoiled rotten, but that knowledge provides zero solace on this miserable day. Nor should it.

EndZoneQB
01-08-2023, 11:36 PM
Sdsu is the heavy favorite next year. Im worried we regress even more next year.

I think you're right. I like Cam, dude leaves it out on the field, but this isn't NDSU in 2012....do we really have no one else better than him? He isn't THE issue, but we generally have someone more dynamic. It doesn't look like Cole is developing as a thrower...and TR refuses to even try. So either he is THAT bad(evidence suggests that might be the case) or TR is even worse than we know.

Are we going to actually feature Williams next year? I felt like him and TK were the bright spots outside of Hunter. Williams should get the bulk of the carries. If not Williams, what do we have behind him? TK seems solid, but idk if he is that game changer we've had in the past a la Davis or Johnson. SDSU seems like the last three RBs they had/have were better than anyone suiting up for us - Hunter obviously changed that, but we didn't really get multiple years of that - why didn't we play him sooner?

WR are supposedly loaded...did we see ANY during the playoffs after a transfer left? Why? It's not like those on the field were absolutely tearing it up. Mathis had his best game of the season, catching everything even in the same stadium as him - where was that all season?

I still don't get the lack of young kids playing. If something you have isn't working...why not change? Think Josh Hayes coming out party. Maybe our young kids aren't good...but again, that is self incriminating to the coaches. Or they ARE really good, we just refuse to put a young kid on the field unless we have to. Do we really only have one TE on the ENTIRE roster? How is that possible? It felt like a couple of years ago we could build an entire team with just TEs. Does Entz understand the 4 game rule? Does he have some weird benchmark to see the field? Klieman loved using the 4 game allowance to get young gets involved, especially in the playoffs.

WhoRepsTheLurker
01-08-2023, 11:43 PM
I still don't get the lack of young kids playing.

maybe its a TP thing
don't want them to flash early and get attention
that's all I can come up with

SomeBeach
01-08-2023, 11:55 PM
When is the last time we could consistently, honestly say the following:

1. We dominated both lines of scrimmage
2. We made great adjustments at halftime (or any time, for that matter)
3. We wore other teams out with our superior strength and conditioning

These used to be hallmarks of Bison football. Lately? Not so much.

BisManBison
01-09-2023, 12:06 AM
Take playing for NDSU out of the question. If you had a son coming out of high school talented enough to play FCS football, would you want him playing for a Matt Entz coached team?

BisonCardinal
01-09-2023, 12:11 AM
Looking back to 2009 when we were weak on defense, Bohl fired Breske and brought in Hazelton. Just seems like Braun is unable to make game time adjustments.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 12:18 AM
Looking back to 2009 when we were weak on defense, Bohl fired Breske and brought in Hazelton. Just seems like Braun is unable to make game time adjustments.

Braun couldnt even make half time adjustmements. Of course there is no adjustment for your front 7 being manhandled. Were they out of position? This is week 14.

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 12:19 AM

Or is it Entz? How much was he involved under Klieman?

maybe its a TP thing
don't want them to flash early and get attention
that's all I can come up with

Which is an absolutely abhorrent reason.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 12:50 AM
That’s the model we shall fallow.

If that means moving up, I am cool with it

El_Chapo
01-09-2023, 01:55 AM
we need a FBS coach. NOW

these guys arent

El_Chapo
01-09-2023, 02:09 AM

NONE last couple years WE WON BECAUSE WE HAD SUPERIOR TALENT that far exceeded coaching shortcomings

ByeSonBusiness
01-09-2023, 02:20 AM
Ndsu could win under him. But it would be a happy accident. Dude is not a good coach. His team has zero discipline. I literally have zero respect for this team. Its not their fault. It is their coach's. Would not hire any of these kids.

fmfantasy
01-09-2023, 03:54 AM
We need an elite RB.. We are a run heavy team that puts skill players in the NFL yearly... so why arent we attracting those types? IF we had say Travis Ettiene a couple years ago would we have ran a committe?

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 04:11 AM
We need an elite RB.. We are a run heavy team that puts skill players in the NFL yearly... so why arent we attracting those types? IF we had say Travis Ettiene a couple years ago would we have ran a committe?

When your entire offense is based on a fullback, that's pretty fucked. Its even more fucked when its limited to 2 plays without him out of shotgun. Why cant we put TMac in the i formation? Instead we only use him doing read option. He's a huge 229 pound running back and its 1 of 2 plays. Roehl is so predictible. Imagine of we ran the i with Luepke and TMac and you run the... fullback dive. Thats something defenses never see

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 04:17 AM
we need a FBS coach. NOW

these guys arent

We need FBS quality coordinators who can make adjustments. Roehl is playing checkers. The defense needs better players and a coordinator

AlumniGreen
01-09-2023, 04:43 AM
Where is Jim Kramer in all of this? I know in the past I heard a lot about him, he was featured in news articles, and I know of his sterling reputation as a strength and conditioning coach. I wonder what he thinks about everything!

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 05:11 AM
Where is Jim Kramer in all of this? I know in the past I heard a lot about him, he was featured in news articles, and I know of his sterling reputation as a strength and conditioning coach. I wonder what he thinks about everything!

Kramer cant make a 6-1 or 6-2, D-lineman 6-4 or 6-5. Its not about weight, its height and length.

We had guys like Nick DeLuca at MLB at 6-3, 245 and he was quick. Now we got a 6-1, 211 pound MLB. Jabril Cox was 6-3, 233. Now we got James Kaczor at 6-0, 215. How about Chris Board 6-1, 240.

It works vs lower competition but big teams man handle them. Arizona was big and moved the ball with ease. SDSU was big. So was Incarnate Word

dewey
01-09-2023, 05:16 AM
Kramer cant make a 6-1 or 6-2, D-lineman 6-4 or 6-5. Its not about weight, its height and length.

We had guys like Nick DeLuca at MLB at 6-3, 245 and he was quick. Now we got a 6-1, 211 pound MLB. Jabril Cox was 6-3, 233. Now we got James Kaczor at 6-0, 215. How about Chris Board 6-1, 240.

It works vs lower competition but big teams man handle them. Arizona was big and moved the ball with ease. SDSU was big. So was Incarnate Word

I don't know. Adam Bock is 6-1 and 215 and is a STUD MLB.

Dewey

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 05:23 AM
I don't know. Adam Bock is 6-1 and 215 and is a STUD MLB.

Dewey

Because the SDSU D-line owns the line of scrimmage. That frees them up to make plays. You can have a smaller linebacker if your D-line is good but the smaller guys tend to get hurt more and struggle when the D-line struggles. Kazor was basically a safety playing linebacker but he missed a ton of time. Travis Beck was small too. Today he would have struggled. Fixing the D-line is the biggest issue

dewey
01-09-2023, 05:31 AM
Because the SDSU D-line owns the line of scrimmage. That frees them up to make plays. You can have a smaller linebacker if your D-line is good but the smaller guys tend to get hurt more and struggle when the D-line struggles. Kazor was basically a safety playing linebacker but he missed a ton of time

Yes, keeping the LB's clean so they can fly to the ball and make tackles is critical. NDSU really struggled to tackle today and frankly all season.

Dewey

BigHorns
01-09-2023, 05:37 AM
This game was a total shitshow in front of a national audience. We were dominated.

Not sure if Entz can fix it, but somebody needs to light a fire under some asses after this.

123Gobison
01-09-2023, 05:51 AM
This is not on Entz. Entz is a good coach I think. He must have been forced to hire some staff that he did not approve of.

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 06:24 AM
This is not on Entz. Entz is a good coach I think. He must have been forced to hire some staff that he did not approve of.

Is he? How much control did he have under Klieman? When he hasn't had an absolutely dominant player(Lance 19, Leupke 21), we have been bounced from the playoffs by being beat physically - SHSU, SDSU. Last time that happened, 2016 against JMU, we ripped off 3 more in a row. Everyone is a good coach when you have more talent than everyone else. How do we respond?

tony
01-09-2023, 12:44 PM
Is he? How much control did he have under Klieman? When he hasn't had an absolutely dominant player(Lance 19, Leupke 21), we have been bounced from the playoffs by being beat physically - SHSU, SDSU. Last time that happened, 2016 against JMU, we ripped off 3 more in a row. Everyone is a good coach when you have more talent than everyone else. How do we respond?

Hopefully by committing 100% to a defense that stuffs the run.

BISONBRI53
01-09-2023, 01:30 PM

Is Braun actually running the D? Or is it Entz? Could explain some things with his overall coaching...

BISONBRI53
01-09-2023, 01:34 PM

WHAT??? forced to hire?

GOB1SON
01-09-2023, 02:54 PM
Day after rants are fun, but too full of emotion.

Entz is in his first stint as HC. He inherited the best football program in the nation, regardless of division. He didn't have a lot of adversity, so his growth curve is probably a little flat. Hoping he has the chops to grow and learn like most successful coaches and CEO's.

I've seen what most of you have, an erosion of discipline, the culture of hard-nosed, no bullshit football kind of slipping away after Klieman. That is coaching and very fixable. There is a reason that Klieman uses Ben Newman, to keep the culture in the right lane. Wish Entz would do the same, and maybe that will be one of the adjustments that he makes moving forward.

It is hard in the NIL, tiktok driven world when everyone wants the world to "look at me!!!" to keep kids from showing off and just putting their hand in the mud and their helmet on the guy across from them.

Entz is 49-7 and has been to 3 national championship games and won 2 of them. In any other place they's already have a place for his statue. Here he needs to be replaced immediately? Give me a break.

And all you guys that think TR needs to go, the offense is not the issue. The play calling is fine and this was a top 20 scoring offense this year. Cam executes well, but he is screwed by comparison after Walker and Jenson and Wentz and Stick and the other kid I can't think of that won every award as a freshman. Oh yeah, Lance. He is a very good QB.

I'm actually more worried about the defense. How many times did you see SDSU in space running without anyone within 10 yards? Somehow Stig has figured out how to get the safeties and LB way out of position. Happened in the second half of the regular season game too. Motion or something is confusing the D, add in the undersized line and away they go...

Expectations are high of course, but let's all take a minute to catch our breath and realize that the titanic isn't exactly sinking.

BiZon22
01-09-2023, 03:01 PM

Entz is in his first stint as HC. He inherited the best football program in the nation, regardless of division. He didn't have a lot of adversity, so his growth curve is probably a little flat. Hoping he has the chops to grow and learn like most successful coaches and CEO's.

I've seen what most of you have, an erosion of discipline, the culture of hard-nosed, no bullshit football kind of slipping away after Klieman. That is coaching and very fixable. There is a reason that Klieman uses Ben Newman, to keep the culture in the right lane. Wish Entz would do the same, and maybe that will be one of the adjustments that he makes moving forward.

It is hard in the NIL, tiktok driven world when everyone wants the world to "look at me!!!" to keep kids from showing off and just putting their hand in the mud and their helmet on the guy across from them.

Entz is 49-7 and has been to 3 national championship games and won 2 of them. In any other place they's already have a place for his statue. Here he needs to be replaced immediately? Give me a break.

And all you guys that think TR needs to go, the offense is not the issue. The play calling is fine and this was a top 20 scoring offense this year. Cam executes well, but he is screwed by comparison after Walker and Jenson and Wentz and Stick and the other kid I can't think of that won every award as a freshman. Oh yeah, Lance. He is a very good QB.

I'm actually more worried about the defense. How many times did you see SDSU in space running without anyone within 10 yards? Somehow Stig has figured out how to get the safeties and LB way out of position. Happened in the second half of the regular season game too. Motion or something is confusing the D, add in the undersized line and away they go...

Expectations are high of course, but let's all take a minute to catch our breath and realize that the titanic isn't exactly sinking.

I agreed with most besides saying play calling was fine.

We had one completed pass against UIW. Our first drive was so predictable it was a meme in here. We need more balance, yesterday cam showed he can give us that balance but for some reason TR decides we’re going to run it 80% of the time and then we’re confused why we’re predictable? We need to be closer to 60-40 run to pass or even 50-50 like we used to be.

BigHorns
01-09-2023, 03:08 PM
WHAT??? forced to hire?

There is zero chance ML or anyone else forced Entz to hire anyone.
Guess we'll find out if Entz has what it takes to make the changes needed for next year.

We lost to SDSU in all 3 phases.

GOB1SON
01-09-2023, 03:14 PM
I agreed with most besides saying play calling was fine.

We had one completed pass against UIW. Our first drive was so predictable it was a meme in here. We need more balance, yesterday cam showed he can give us that balance but for some reason TR decides we’re going to run it 80% of the time and then we’re confused why we’re predictable? We need to be closer to 60-40 run to pass or even 50-50 like we used to be.

I understand what you are saying, but maybe he just didn't have the players?

Kind of feels like the offense actually overachieved, doesn't it? I mean the Rams are the Rams but other than that there is no big-play WR, the RB stable is constantly in next-man-up status with injuries.

We are used to having 5 class running backs and 5 NFL caliber TE's on the roster. The cupboard was really bare.

And still managed to go 12-3 and be a top 20 scoring offense?

Could this actually have been TR's best coaching season?

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 03:18 PM

I'm not concerned about Entz as a head coach. Im concerned about Roehl. I'm concerned about the talent on defense. We got physically whipped. You cant coach getting physically dominated. You recruit bigger and faster athletes who can hold up vs a power team. Our D-line recruiting has been bad. Really bad

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 03:25 PM

Stig didn't have a monopoly on our defense being out of position this season. They definitely outcoached us, though. They opened that playbook WIDE - we still kept the status quo. That's the concern. The offense IS a problem - top 20 scoring team, but who did we score against? We scored 21 points against SDSU...both times.

We relied FAR too heavily on breaking a big play this year than LSD, which is our signature. Big plays hide deficiencies in scheme with individual effort. Sure, you can say scheme created the seam for RB guy to run 50 yards...but it didn't ever feel like we physically submitted teams this year.

GreenfieldBison
01-09-2023, 03:28 PM
The offense IS a problem - top 20 scoring team, but who did we score against? We scored 21 points against SDSU...both times.

and in years past that was enough.

23Bison
01-09-2023, 03:31 PM
In one of those games it was in the first half with a big fat 0 in the second.

BigHorns
01-09-2023, 03:37 PM
I'm not concerned about Entz as a head coach. Im concerned about Roehl. I'm concerned about the talent on defense. We got physically whipped. You cant coach getting physically dominated. You recruit bigger and faster athletes who can hold up vs a power team. Our D-line recruiting has been bad. Really bad

At the end of the day that's on the coaches too, not the players. Recruiting and player development are key coaching responsibilities. There is no excuse for NDSU to be outrecruited by anyone in FCS, especially the Jacks.

Snowgoose
01-09-2023, 03:39 PM
We have numerous issues and they were exposed this year. Our dline and lb play was pretty poor most of the year. Our defense was our biggest issue all year but as mentioned numerous times there are more cracks in the foundation than before. To us older people these cracks showed up in the early 90’s as well. Discipline this year was a little weaker than the past. Our play calling was not good at times at all. This is really the first year in a long time freshman haven’t played much and this was evident as we used to keep track of games played on this forum but that was basically useless this year which goes into the question of why? Seems like something is off with recruiting and I can’t put a finger on it myself.

bisonfanette
01-09-2023, 03:44 PM
790 radio is calling out the NDSU football head coach for not being accessible to the media nor to the fans/supporters.
He said that past head coaches have been very accessible. I’d have to add that Joel was very complementary to the Bison football Team.

Son of a Bison
01-09-2023, 03:50 PM
I sure hope there is talent in the current redshirt class and the lack of it is not the issue they didn’t play very much. Especially with all the injuries we had this year on offense. The college football current trend is to play true freshman if they can help. But, roster management is now different with the Covid extra year and transfer portal and coaches should be the experts on how they are managing the roster.

We have numerous issues and they were exposed this year. Our dline and lb play was pretty poor most of the year. Our defense was our biggest issue all year but as mentioned numerous times there are more cracks in the foundation than before. To us older people these cracks showed up in the early 90’s as well. Discipline this year was a little weaker than the past. Our play calling was not good at times at all. This is really the first year in a long time freshman haven’t played much and this was evident as we used to keep track of games played on this forum but that was basically useless this year which goes into the question of why? Seems like something is off with recruiting and I can’t put a finger on it myself.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 03:50 PM
Stig didn't have a monopoly on our defense being out of position this season. They definitely outcoached us, though. They opened that playbook WIDE - we still kept the status quo. That's the concern. The offense IS a problem - top 20 scoring team, but who did we score against? We scored 21 points against SDSU...both times.

We relied FAR too heavily on breaking a big play this year than LSD, which is our signature. Big plays hide deficiencies in scheme with individual effort. Sure, you can say scheme created the seam for RB guy to run 50 yards...but it didn't ever feel like we physically submitted teams this year.

I like to compare 2021 to 2022 Conference stats. They are basically the same.

Last year we couldnt beat SDSU either

I think the obvious is our defense struggles to stop the run. We miss guys like Coster Ching, Hankey, Brayden Thomas and Lane Tucker. The guys who replaced them simply werent as good

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 03:53 PM
At the end of the day that's on the coaches too, not the players. Recruiting and player development are key coaching responsibilities. There is no excuse for NDSU to be outrecruited by anyone in FCS, especially the Jacks.

Exactly. Everyone points out a lot of reasons, but almost all of them point directly back to the staff. And again, I am not confident that this staff has the ability to make hard decisions internally. We had three weeks to prepare and we still came in expecting to be able to run the QB all day against a team was the best defense in the FCS against the run, was very open about knowing we were going to QB run, AND is very familiar with us. That was the best gameplan we could come up with in three weeks, against our rival, in the ACTUAL super bowl not just "iT's ThEir SuPeR bOwL", the real one.

Concerning to say the least. "CaM mIlLeR iSn'T tReY LaNcE", no kidding, but it's the staff's job to put the kids in a position to win. If we don't have the horses at x,y,z position, that's on the coaches.

It might not be a problem *yet*, but alarm bells should be going off. And now is the time to have tough conversations before it's too late. 2016 was a tough loss, but it felt VERY different - I was optimistic about 17...I am not about 23.

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 03:54 PM
I understand what you are saying, but maybe he just didn't have the players?

Kind of feels like the offense actually overachieved, doesn't it? I mean the Rams are the Rams but other than that there is no big-play WR, the RB stable is constantly in next-man-up status with injuries.

We are used to having 5 class running backs and 5 NFL caliber TE's on the roster. The cupboard was really bare.

And still managed to go 12-3 and be a top 20 scoring offense?

Could this actually have been TR's best coaching season?

Have you seen the final polls and the teams in top 20? It’s basically full of teams that we would have in the past boat-raced. 3 MVFC teams, and one is UND.

G_Funky
01-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Our D-line recruiting has been bad. Really bad

What I found interesting is one of the D-lineman we took out of MPLS this year was listed at 285 and Entz mentioned he was bigger than most recruits we've signed over the years. Perhaps that was on purpose? Are they starting to realize that bringing in smaller guys and trying to bulk them up isnt working as well as it has in the past?

Jim Puetz
01-09-2023, 04:31 PM
Roehl's play calling results in our entire RB room getting hurt during the year. Look how fresh Davis and Johnson looked yesterday, they obviously weren't running into brick walls all season like our RB's.

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 04:35 PM
What I found interesting is one of the D-lineman we took out of MPLS this year was listed at 285 and Entz mentioned he was bigger than most recruits we've signed over the years. Perhaps that was on purpose? Are they starting to realize that bringing in smaller guys and trying to bulk them up isnt working as well as it has in the past?

The thing is, when that has successfully happened, it's been bringing kids in as a different position, they bulk up and all of a sudden we have a monster DT that was supposed to be a long DE, a DE that was supposed to be a large LB, a LB that was supposed to be a safety...an OT that was supposed to be a TE. I don't remember much of the "oh he is undersized now so we are recruiting him for the position we him to play" vs we are recruiting football players regardless of position.

What big recruit did we lose out on this year to maybe UNI because he wanted to play a different position. Have we really ever heard that with Bohl/Klieman? The line used to be sure, you can play x,y,z position *wink, wink*, get them on campus and essentially bury them on the depth chart and then offer a position change to our preferred position. Thorton, Hendricks, come to mind. I'm sure there were others. We pride ourselves, or used to, on recruiting football players first, and positions second. Bohl was VERY clear he learned his lesson on LaDainian Tomlinson - Entz has already reversed this position? I get that you want to be your own coach...but this seems like a no brainer.

BISONBRI53
01-09-2023, 04:36 PM
790 radio is calling out the NDSU football head coach for not being accessible to the media nor to the fans/supporters.
He said that past head coaches have been very accessible. I’d have to add that Joel was very complementary to the Bison football Team.

I can see this... Remember when coach K would come over to a section we were in at a road game and thank us? I think Entz is such a meat head that he doesn't know any better...

El_Chapo
01-09-2023, 04:42 PM

oh watch out. recruiting expert bruinbison will tell you we are recruiting like PrimeTime!!

Yes, Entz doesn't have the flash to recruit, Roehl doesn't either and Braun as well.

NDSU should of been ABSOLUTELY CRUSHING RECRUITING the last 2-3 years with 16 NFL players Watson, Lance, Wentz, Radunz Volson Board all on NFL teams playing a lot.

LIKE HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO instead we got about 4-5 decommits per class and added wayyyy too many Pwo's that have no chance of playing at NDSU.

G_Funky
01-09-2023, 04:51 PM
I can see this... Remember when coach K would come over to a section we were in at a road game and thank us? I think Entz is such a meat head that he doesn't know any better...

Idk...after the USD game in Vermillion he spent about as much time as he could (4-5 minutes) after the game before heading into the locker room talking to fans and high-fiving kids.

I know our youngsters thought it was pretty neat they got to shake Coach Entz's hand.

SomeBeach
01-09-2023, 04:57 PM
Matt Larsen: "Looks like I picked a bad week to try to do another clandestine contract extension. Oh well, I'll worry about it in 2027..."

GreenfieldBison
01-09-2023, 04:59 PM
Roehl's play calling results in our entire RB room getting hurt during the year. Look how fresh Davis and Johnson looked yesterday, they obviously weren't running into brick walls all season like our RB's.

I think Davis was out w/injury for a chunk of the season. Did not play against Bison in Oct or was not at 100%

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 05:03 PM
I think Davis was out w/injury for a chunk of the season. Did not play against Bison in Oct or was not at 100%

Injured shoulder against us but played entire game. Missed UND game the next week.

Like yesterday tho, SDSU RB2 was more of a problem for our D.

Bisonator98
01-09-2023, 05:05 PM

Lol Joel's a fawker thru and thru who rips on NDSU anytime he can then wants to suck up to them down in Frisco. Guys such a two faced fraud I wouldn't be able to go on with him either.

El_Chapo
01-09-2023, 05:18 PM
Lol Joel's a fawker thru and thru who rips on NDSU anytime he can then wants to suck up to them down in Frisco. Guys such a two faced fraud I wouldn't be able to go on with him either.

Yea FUCK HIM and kFGO who cares

RonMexico
01-09-2023, 05:32 PM

Scoring late in a game down three scores and kicking an extra point to keep it a three score game instead of going for two to make it a two score game is NOT good coaching. You think the players on the field don't know that kicking that XP was pointless? That is a sign of a coach that has no clue or has no confidence in the offense to get two yards.

The_Sicatoka
01-09-2023, 05:46 PM
Matt Larsen: "Looks like I picked a bad week to try to do another clandestine contract extension. Oh well, I'll worry about it in 2027..."

To be fair, the reports I've read say the one year extension was auto-triggered by the trip to Frisco.

Put another way, yesterday cost NDSU a year of Entz's salary.

The_Sicatoka
01-09-2023, 05:48 PM
Yea FUCK HIM and kFGO who cares

Anyone still listens to KFGO? I'll use iHeart and listen to 96.1 The Fox for UND Hockey instead.

heffray
01-09-2023, 05:52 PM
Anyone still listens to KFGO? I'll use iHeart and listen to 96.1 The Fox for UND Hockey instead.

The words in the second half of your post don’t make any sense to me, like monkeys mashing a typewriter…

Mighty 790 carries Vikes games but that’s about it for me…

GreenfieldBison
01-09-2023, 06:14 PM
Injured shoulder against us but played entire game. Missed UND game the next week.

Ok. Guess I was thinking about Kraft. You are right, #3 did a lot of damage yesterday. Almost like he was unaccounted for at times.

Kevin
01-09-2023, 06:21 PM

RB2 was running the same plays as Davis though. RB3 and maybe TE2 would have ran for 100 yards with the gaps we missed in the middle yesterday.

Not to mention the missed tackles after the missed gap assignments.

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 07:17 PM
RB2 was running the same plays as Davis though. RB3 and maybe TE2 would have ran for 100 yards with the gaps we missed in the middle yesterday.

Not to mention the missed tackles after the missed gap assignments.

Don’t disagree, but RB2 gave us bigger problems. Seems like we had more trouble this year with quicker/shiftier RBs compared to more downhill ones, similar to our troubles with shifty/quick QBs.

TAILG8R
01-09-2023, 07:19 PM
Don’t disagree, but RB2 gave us bigger problems. Seems like we had more trouble this year with quicker/shiftier RBs compared to more downhill ones, similar to our troubles with shifty/quick QBs.

Our problems with shifty QBs and playing high flying throw it around teams for so many years in the playoffs led us to believe we needed smaller faster LBs IMO and I think we went too far.

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 07:25 PM
Our problems with shifty QBs and playing high flying throw it around teams for so many years in the playoffs led us to believe we needed smaller faster LBs IMO and I think we went too far.

Possibly, and we are bringing in more LBs with speed/agility but with decent size (Gulley for example).

Perhaps Entz already had his new DC before
the Gulley portal transfer and the new DC is a 3-4 guy. That would instantly give us more DL depth and give us better blitz and contain options with the 2 OLBs.

We know Braun didn’t just get hired today after all.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 07:27 PM

Well its like comparing Luepke running through a 10 foot hole vs Kobe or Jalen Bussey running through a 10 foot hole. Youll never catch Bussey in an open field. It all starts up front and out D-line got smacked around like a hooker

The_Sicatoka
01-09-2023, 07:29 PM
Perhaps Entz already had his new DC before the Gulley portal transfer and the new DC is a 3-4 guy.

A 3-4? At NDSU? Seriously?

I'll have to see it to believe it.

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 07:30 PM

Ran it 80s-90s.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 07:32 PM

Entz is more likely to go the Klieman route and go 3-5-5. I cant stand those defenses. We have always been a great defense if we can get the right personel. Im old school i like the base 4-3 with a nickel or dime package

BigHorns
01-09-2023, 07:33 PM
What are the odds our new DC is named this week?
Would think it might take some time if they do a search, unless the deal is done already.

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 07:33 PM
Well its like comparing Luepke running through a 10 foot hole vs Kobe or Jalen Bussey running through a 10 foot hole. Youll never catch Bussey in an open field. It all starts up front and out D-line got smacked around like a hooker

True for Natty, RB2 also torched us in regular season game.

The_Sicatoka
01-09-2023, 07:43 PM
Entz is more likely to go the Klieman route and go 3-5-5.

IndyBison would like a rules discussion with you. :D ... Yeah, yeah, I know what you really meant: 3-3-5.

The MVFC has all built up OL/DL to deal with the xDSUs. Would going to a numerically smaller (6 v 7) defensive front really be the path to success? And don't you need at least one hybrid safety (big as LB, runs like CB) in that system?

The_Sicatoka
01-09-2023, 07:44 PM
Ran it 80s-90s.

Why don't I recall that? Then again, I've tried to forget most of that football era.

totoinfl
01-09-2023, 07:51 PM
Entz is more likely to go the Klieman route and go 3-5-5. I cant stand those defenses. We have always been a great defense if we can get the right personel. Im old school i like the base 4-3 with a nickel or dime package

I would love to have 13 defensive players on the field at all times.

23Bison
01-09-2023, 07:55 PM
I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't have mattered much yesterday if we had two more running around out there.

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 07:55 PM
IndyBison would like a rules discussion with you. :D ... Yeah, yeah, I know what you really meant: 3-3-5.

The MVFC has all built up OL/DL to deal with the xDSUs. Would going to a numerically smaller (6 v 7) defensive front really be the path to success? And don't you need at least one hybrid safety (big as LB, runs like CB) in that system?

No, he meant what he typed given what happened yesterday. Risk worth taking.

In a 3-4, the strong OLB effectively serves as a DE and the weak OLB can be rolled up to LOS, effectively making it a 5 man front if you want to.

The_Sicatoka
01-09-2023, 08:12 PM

Whatever gets the defense off the field I guess.

I've seen UND's 3-4 get pushed all over (even with roll ups to 4 and 5 man fronts). And it takes very specific bodies (e.g. fire hydrant nose guard who can control the C and an OG). I'm surprised you'd even consider going back to that.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 09:44 PM
I would love to have 13 defensive players on the field at all times.

Ha ha that was a funny mistype

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 09:46 PM
Whatever gets the defense off the field I guess.

I've seen UND's 3-4 get pushed all over (even with roll ups to 4 and 5 man fronts). And it takes very specific bodies (e.g. fire hydrant nose guard who can control the C and an OG). I'm surprised you'd even consider going back to that.

Yep. The 3-4 is easy to beat if you just run up the middle.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 09:56 PM

In a 3-4, the strong OLB effectively serves as a DE and the weak OLB can be rolled up to LOS, effectively making it a 5 man front if you want to.

Obviously but you need to change your recruiting to find those types of players. The 4-3 is great if you can get pressure without blitzing. Yesterday we got no pressure and never blitzed. Braun must have been thinking about his new job

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 09:56 PM
Yep. The 3-4 is easy to beat if you just run up the middle.

What??? If that’s the case, Y do we struggle to run against it, and why has Entz said it presents a difficult look for us?

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 09:59 PM
What??? If that’s the case, Y do we struggle to run against it, and why has Entz said it presents a difficult look for us?

Up the middle and TEs really. We did fine vs UND but it could just be confusing since its different. Maybe tougher to simulate in practice

DCinOK
01-09-2023, 10:02 PM
Braun must have been thinking about his new job

I will say that you often see this with OCs and DCs in FBS bowl games or playoffs...a coach has already decided/signed to move to another school, yet coaches with his "old team" for that last game and the O or D they coach sucks donkey balls.

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 10:03 PM

At this point, isn't every defense a difficult look for us if they are even in the same stratosphere talent wise? lol

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 10:08 PM
I will say that you often see this with OCs and DCs in FBS bowl games or playoffs...a coach has already decided/signed to move to another school, yet coaches with his "old team" for that last game and the O or D they coach sucks donkey balls.

1998 Vikings with Brian Billick come to mind

Professor Chaos
01-09-2023, 10:50 PM
We're all spoiled rotten... not all of us recognize it though.

23Bison
01-09-2023, 11:05 PM
I believe we all see how spoiled we really are. We have all seen great teams and great players over even these last 10 years. What we also know and see is when something doesn’t look right or is not what we are used to seeing on the field.

norm4life
01-09-2023, 11:21 PM
I'm so old that I remember when they used to sell QBU shirts and they had this thing called a "pro-style" offense that had a lot of cool things like the forward pass, setting line protections, and changing the play at the line, which happens to be things they do at the professional level. Now they have an endless variety of QB power runs, that I'm sure gets the QB recruits all excited to come here to learn about and put them at more risk of injury. And I'm sure that makes the RB recruits all excited to come here to have to share carries with the QB (along with the way too large RB committee). They ran Trey Lance a million times in the championship game and since then, that's all they know how to do. It is a gimmick that have fallen in love with, and can't quit it.

We used to have not the greatest talent + great system. Then we had the best talent and great system and stomped everyone.

Now, I can't decide if lack of talent is the reason for the gimmicky QB runs and associated gimmicky highly predictable play calling because they aren't good enough to pass the ball; or if there is enough talent there and the coaching sucks. Probably some of both, not to mention the defense at all. While the defense itself definitely needs help, it certainly doesn't help if the offense can't stay on the field.

SomeBeach
01-10-2023, 01:10 AM
To be fair, the reports I've read say the one year extension was auto-triggered by the trip to Frisco.

Put another way, yesterday cost NDSU a year of Entz's salary.

Yes, you are correct. But there was no official announcement (correct me if I'm wrong) no fanfare, no hoohah. Given prior history of quiet contract extensions (blamed on Covid and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings) it seems to me Matt was trying to fly under the radar again. I'd feel better if he ran the department more in the sunshine.

BigHorns
01-10-2023, 03:13 AM
Yes, you are correct. But there was no official announcement (correct me if I'm wrong) no fanfare, no hoohah. Given prior history of quiet contract extensions (blamed on Covid and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings) it seems to me Matt was trying to fly under the radar again. I'd feel better if he ran the department more in the sunshine.

Maybe they were hoping to announce it with a positive spin after a win in Frisco?
Either way though, it's not really a new action or a decision made by ML if this was already in the contract.

El_Chapo
05-02-2023, 01:46 PM
7 NFL players on last years team
7 FBS players transferred up from last couple years
20-25 NFL players from last 4-5 years.

how the HELL did we lose a game the last 3 years let alone SEVEN !!!!

ByeSonBusiness
05-02-2023, 01:50 PM

Because the team isn't well coached and SDSU is our daddy. But not sure what transfers have to do with anything? Who are the seven?

cbline
05-02-2023, 02:34 PM

My reply is based on Bo Schembechler from Michigan in the 70's: The team, the team, the team. It is NOT how talented the individuals are, but how they play together as a cohesive unit.

Kevin
05-02-2023, 02:53 PM

A-Gap Power: 4 yards
Pass Into Flat: Incomplete -or- 3 yards
QB Power: 2 yards
Punt

Rinse repeat a bunch of times.

cbline
05-02-2023, 03:02 PM
A-Gap Power: 4 yards
Pass Into Flat: Incomplete -or- 3 yards
QB Power: 2 yards
Punt

Rinse repeat a bunch of times.

You forgot spread formation and Cole Payton for a QB run to the left.

mtoutfitter
05-02-2023, 03:04 PM
First off there's not 20 to 25 NFL players from the last couple of yrs. Wentz, Stick, Turner, Haeg and Board all graduated 2018 or before. Also Babicz and Thomas are not with NFL teams, although both were on Practice Squads. I'm referring to the list in post 2234 in the Bison NFL thread..

To another point...Waege, Jensen, Gindorff and Luepke are not guaranteed to be on an NFL roster this fall, so you can't count them. Although I hope they make it.

Cox was also not on the 2020 team so there is no way there was 16 NFL players on the 2020 team. Tuszka, also not on 2020 team.

Probably end up with around 16 or 17 on rosters and practice squads....not 20 to 25. Just pointing out some flawed math.

Let's re visit these numbers mid September.

The_Sicatoka
05-02-2023, 03:10 PM
My reply is based on Bo Schembechler from Michigan in the 70's: The team, the team, the team. It is NOT how talented the individuals are, but how they play together as a cohesive unit.

Your use of calm, rational logic will throw some off.

El_Chapo
10-14-2023, 08:09 PM
all of you that didn't listen to me when I harped and hammered on RECRUITING for last 2-3 years under Entz/Roehl/Hedberg CAN SUCK IT.

it's been atrocious and usd und games has shown the light on this failure.

Kevin
10-14-2023, 08:46 PM
NC?

fuck bro we might not win another game lol

WestCoastBison
10-14-2023, 08:58 PM
NC?

fuck bro we might not win another game lol

I completely forgot about this thread. Must have been drunk but my opinion hasn’t changed. Losing to UND is embarrassing but getting blown out like that is unacceptable.

scottietohottie
10-14-2023, 08:59 PM
We will not make the playoffs.

heffray
10-14-2023, 09:01 PM
Where’s that guy who was trying to convince me that Entz/Roehl are good coaches because they won NCs in 2019 and 2021? I’d like to get his take now…

WestCoastBison
10-14-2023, 09:19 PM
We will not make the playoffs.

“Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?”

garbageman
10-14-2023, 09:23 PM
all of you that didn't listen to me when I harped and hammered on RECRUITING for last 2-3 years under Entz/Roehl/Hedberg CAN SUCK IT.

it's been atrocious and usd und games has shown the light on this failure.

And yet you are probably on the recruiting thread saying how this was a great get and that was a great get.

SDbison
10-14-2023, 09:33 PM
Is it in doubt anymore?

WestCoastBison
10-14-2023, 09:44 PM
Is it in doubt anymore?

He won his first year but I think everyone knows he had the skids greased for him so initially.

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2023, 01:28 PM
Is it in doubt anymore?

You are being generous. Even first round playoff games may not happen.

heffray
10-15-2023, 02:12 PM
He won his first year but I think everyone knows he had the skids greased for him so initially.

What makes it a wee bit complicated is he won it again in 2021 (like I need to tell you all)…

…don’t get me wrong, I think he needs to go, too. But someone explain THAT one to me…

GreenfieldBison
10-15-2023, 02:56 PM
What makes it a wee bit complicated is he won it again in 2021 (like I need to tell you all)…

…don’t get me wrong, I think he needs to go, too. But someone explain THAT one to me…
Who were OC, DC in '21?

BigHorns
10-15-2023, 03:05 PM
Who were OC, DC in '21?

OC was TR, still is.

GreenfieldBison
10-15-2023, 03:09 PM
OC was TR, still is.
That is what I suspected. But where is that DC today? Northwestern?

BigHorns
10-15-2023, 03:18 PM
That is what I suspected. But where is that DC today? Northwestern?

Yep. I'd take Braun back. He's interim HC for 2023 at NW now.

They've gone 3-3. Wins over Howard, UTEP and a squeaker over Minnesota.
He might be available next year, if we want him to replace Entz.

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2023, 03:28 PM

Not super complicated to me. He still had lots of guys, including NFL guys, that Coach K brought in. Watson, Leupke, Gindorff, Volson, Mauch, Jensen, etc. He also had great FCS players like Talbert, Kobe Johnson, etc.

NDSU92
10-15-2023, 03:34 PM

The only other program with somewhat similar resources, SDSU, was down that year.

HerdBot
10-15-2023, 06:53 PM
Not super complicated to me. He still had lots of guys, including NFL guys, that Coach K brought in. Watson, Leupke, Gindorff, Volson, Mauch, Jensen, etc. He also had great FCS players like Talbert, Kobe Johnson, etc.

2019 (and some were on the 2021 roster) he had the likes of
Jabril and Jasir Cox, Trey Lance, Dillon Radunz, Josh Babicz, Ben Ellefson, Derrek Tuszka, Costner Ching, Cody Mach, Zach Johndon, Spencer Waege, Ty Brooks, Cordell Volson, James Kaezor, Courtney Eubanks, Marquise Bridges, Michael Tutsie and Lane Tucker

Athough I give Entz credit for finding Brayden Thomas

mtoutfitter
10-15-2023, 07:20 PM
2019 (and some were on the 2021 roster) he had the likes of
Jabril and Jasir Cox, Trey Lance, Dillon Radunz, Josh Babicz, Ben Ellefson, Derrek Tuszka, Costner Ching, Cody Mach, Zach Johndon, Spencer Waege, Ty Brooks, Cordell Volson, James Kaezor, Courtney Eubanks, Marquise Bridges, Michael Tutsie and Lane Tucker

Athough I give Entz credit for finding Brayden Thomas

Pffft....there's 2 or 3 walk-ons on that list. Need to recruit more D2 guys cause according to Lakes that's all UND gets and they kicked the shit outta the Bison yesterday.

heffray
10-15-2023, 08:11 PM

That’s assuming recruiting good players is all you need to do to win a championship. I agree it’s a big part of why we are where we are now, but you do actually need to coach the players, too. And he did that to the effect of a Championship in 2021…

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-15-2023, 08:37 PM
Too many local players getting recruited by the FBS , we NEED to keep them in ND! Can’t afford to have local talent leave and expect to win championships again.

DCinOK
10-15-2023, 10:15 PM
Too many local players getting recruited by the FBS , we NEED to keep them in ND! Can’t afford to have local talent leave and expect to win championships again.

I want to hear peoples' thoughts on things like this...recruiting. What is Entz doing differently? Different philosophy on players he wants...is it size? speed? Where they're from? I do not understand how the quality of our talent has SO dropped off.

TAILG8R
10-15-2023, 10:30 PM
I want to hear peoples' thoughts on things like this...recruiting. What is Entz doing differently? Different philosophy on players he wants...is it size? speed? Where they're from? I do not understand how the quality of our talent has SO dropped off.

I feel like it’s a combo of recruiting measureables instead of heart and toughness and poor coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBot
10-15-2023, 10:46 PM

It's lack of size (specifically height) on the D-line and toughness on the O-line. If Tampa 2 is being run, corners need to be stout tacklers. We dont have a big tough physical middle linebacker. Our sam backers are good in coverage but arent great tacklers. Julian Wlodarczyk has had some good moments at will but he would be way better if he started at will linebacker. But his 6-3 build is kind of gangly for a will linebacker. There you want a guy built like Travis Beck. I know Jabril was 6-3, but his athleticism was on a different level. It's crazy to think for a short time, out starting linebackers were...

WILL - Jabril Cox
MIKE - Nick DeLuca
SAM - Chris Board

Son of a Bison
10-16-2023, 03:46 AM
Yep this. I cannot believe how far we have fallen as far as talent. Recruit ND and 200 miles into MN. Then Wisconsin hard. A fee from Iowa and Nebraska. 2-4 from “the south”

It's lack of size (specifically height) on the D-line and toughness on the O-line. If Tampa 2 is being run, corners need to be stout tacklers. We dont have a big tough physical middle linebacker. Our sam backers are good in coverage but arent great tacklers. Julian Wlodarczyk has had some good moments at will but he would be way better if he started at will linebacker. But his 6-3 build is kind of gangly for a will linebacker. There you want a guy built like Travis Beck. I know Jabril was 6-3, but his athleticism was on a different level. It's crazy to think for a short time, out starting linebackers were...

WILL - Jabril Cox
MIKE - Nick DeLuca
SAM - Chris Board

El_Chapo
10-16-2023, 03:58 AM
Bohl/Klieman had the BRAVADO & SALES PITCH to get the Higher Caliber Kids out of the Cities and locally.

Entz just doesn't. Plus they are getting WAY too lazy the last 2-3 years with Nepotism Chasing and Giving Pwo's full rides instead of hitting on bigger kids or FBS Portal drop downs.

And the #1 reason. WE AIN"T GOT NO NASTY DOGS ON THIS TEAM!! Especially Defense 0 ZIP ZILCH. Cole & Logan are our best 2 defensive players and they aren't rah rah or nasty agressive kids (which is fine, but you gotta have some junkyard dogs on the team, and I can't even name 1)

Kevin
10-16-2023, 04:15 AM
Bohl/Klieman had the BRAVADO & SALES PITCH to get the Higher Caliber Kids out of the Cities and locally.

Entz just doesn't. Plus they are getting WAY too lazy the last 2-3 years with Nepotism Chasing and Giving Pwo's full rides instead of hitting on bigger kids or FBS Portal drop downs.

And the #1 reason. WE AIN"T GOT NO NASTY DOGS ON THIS TEAM!! Especially Defense 0 ZIP ZILCH. Cole & Logan are our best 2 defensive players and they aren't rah rah or nasty agressive kids (which is fine, but you gotta have some junkyard dogs on the team, and I can't even name 1)

There’s no macho men, road warriors or undertakers either bro.

steelbison
10-16-2023, 04:48 AM

Great post. Answer not since Entz took over

scottietohottie
10-16-2023, 10:47 AM

Entz's recruiting sales pitch. Can I smoke in here?

scottietohottie
10-16-2023, 10:55 AM
Hey Matt can I offer you a menthol?

primespareribs
10-16-2023, 12:39 PM

Montana State lost Touchdown Tommy five minutes into the NC game?

BisonJD
10-16-2023, 01:56 PM
Entz's recruiting sales pitch. Can I smoke in here?

God that is funny. Winner of the internet today.

Hammerhead
10-16-2023, 02:06 PM
One of the big conditioning advantages was that we could rotate players more often since the second stringers were capable of holding their own. Even in the glory years, I can't recall any games where we seemed to make any big adjustments during the game since most of them were beat-downs from the beginning.

gavin2126
10-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Montana State lost Touchdown Tommy five minutes into the NC game?Going through that Bobcat defense was like going through a wet paper bag, we only stopped scoring because we decided we didnt need to anymore. Tommy wasn't changing the outcome of that game.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

BISONBRI53
10-16-2023, 02:58 PM

OOOOOORRRRRRR he rode Trey to a championship... 30 carries in the James Maddison game.... 12 passes.... You could see it then....

CAS4127
10-16-2023, 03:03 PM

@ Last paragraph: Yes, it’s like Entz and Co. coach the aggressiveness right out of our players.

BISONBRI53
10-16-2023, 03:06 PM

WILL - Jabril Cox
MIKE - Nick DeLuca
SAM - Chris Board

This dude SUCKS!!!!! Great hair though!

Hammerhead
10-16-2023, 03:34 PM
OOOOOORRRRRRR he rode Trey to a championship... 30 carries in the James Maddison game.... 12 passes.... You could see it then....

2/3 of the NDSU rushing attempts in the 2019 championship game were by Trey Lance. https://gobison.com/sports/football/stats/2019/james-madison/boxscore/12159

DCinOK
10-16-2023, 03:42 PM
So are we saying that Entz violated the old adage that "If it aint broke, don't fix it...?" That he's tried a different approach to recruiting to "put his stamp on" things?!

BISONBRI53
10-16-2023, 03:55 PM
So are we saying that Entz violated the old adage that "If it aint broke, don't fix it...?" That he's tried a different approach to recruiting to "put his stamp on" things?!

Feels like he put his cig out on it

tony
10-16-2023, 04:12 PM
One of the big conditioning advantages was that we could rotate players more often since the second stringers were capable of holding their own. Even in the glory years, I can't recall any games where we seemed to make any big adjustments during the game since most of them were beat-downs from the beginning.

I don't remember Bohl changing anything big about the offense ever. Take the Montana game in 2002 - did we come out passing after doing nothing on offense for the first half and being down 24-2? Nope, NDSU pounded the ball because NDSU's philosophy was to wear teams down. Even after the first drive of the half went nowhere, NDSU stuck with the run. Heck, the first TD drive was almost entirely Steffes running up their gut. Defense is where NDSU has always made the most adjustments at half - but not huge ones there either. Unlike others, I have seen defensive adjustments under Entz, but then dealing with unexpected wrinkles is really the DC's job.

Furthermore, in the last 40 years, I can't remember NDSU ever making big adjustments on offense. The adjustments have always been pretty subtle because, for one thing, it would be insane to try to do unfamiliar things on offense when execution is more than half the battle. Going back to the Montana game... they moved the ball at will against NDSU in the first half (almost 300 yards of offense and 3 TDs and a FG), but they barely got 50 yards in the second half. Some of that was NDSU making some adjustments on defense, some of it was NDSU defensive players making huge plays. Montana might have wanted to go conservative and run the ball in the second half, but NDSU didn't let them because NDSU's defense crushed their running game, forcing them to pass.

If folks want an offense that can come from 3 scores down in the second half, then I think that they are missing some larger issues - like how the hell does a team even get three scores against our defense?

CAS4127
10-16-2023, 04:16 PM
I don't remember Bohl changing anything big about the offense. Take the Montana game in 2002 - did we come out passing after doing nothing on offense for the first half and being down 24-2? Nope, NDSU pounded the ball because NDSU's philosophy was to wear teams down. Even after the first drive of the half went nowhere, NDSU stuck with the run and the first TD drive was almost entirely Steffes running up their gut. Defense is where NDSU has always made the most adjustments at half - but not huge ones there either. Unlike others, I have seen defensive adjustments under Entz, but dealing with unexpected wrinkles is really the DC's job.

In the last 40 years, I can't remember NDSU ever making big adjustments on offense. The adjustments have always been pretty subtle because, for one thing, it would be insane to try to do unfamiliar things on offense when execution is more than half the battle. Going back to the Montana game... they moved the ball at will against NDSU in the first half (almost 300 yards of offense and 3 TDs and a FG), but they barely got 50 yards in the second half. Some of that was NDSU making some adjustments on defense, some of it was NDSU defensive players making huge plays. Montana might have wanted to go conservative and run the ball in the second half, but NDSU didn't let them because NDSU's defense crushed their running game, forcing them to pass.

In a nutshell: focus on making a team be one-dimensional, preferably what they are the poorest at doing.

tony
10-16-2023, 04:24 PM
In a nutshell: focus on making a team be one-dimensional, preferably what they are the poorest at doing.

Heck, and if you're behind and can't stop the run? Well, you are boned. I mean, Montana had a fantastic passing game, but once they were forced to abandon the run and pass, NDSU's defense started pouncing. When behind, forcing the other team to pass is way better than going pass happy yourself, imo, because it stops the clock more often and is much more likely to create turnovers.

cbline
10-16-2023, 04:35 PM
2/3 of the NDSU rushing attempts in the 2019 championship game were by Trey Lance. https://gobison.com/sports/football/stats/2019/james-madison/boxscore/12159

The presence of Trey covered a lot of sins. Now those sins are being exposed due to players not called "Trey."

HerdBot
10-16-2023, 04:38 PM
I was checking out SDSUs roster

Defensive Tackle size

6-4, 295
6-6, 285
6-3, 265 (freshman)
6-1, 285
6-3, 280
6-3, 270
6-1, 280
6-5, 285
6-4, 285

Defensive Ends

Everyone is 6-3 minimum except a few shortet quick guys for 3rd and long but most are 250 to 260

Linebackers are mostly 6-0 to 6-1 but they even have a few 5-11 guys. Quick unit playing behind a big line

When we were dominant, we were 6-3 to 6-5 at DE around 250 pounds and the players were super athletic

This year we got

Kava - 6-1, 247. He's physically stout but too short

Hendricks - 6-3, 245. Big enough and athletic, but it's a relatively new position for a guy who started at linebacker

Loshiaka Roques - 6-3, 232. Quick guy who probably will never get to 250. Good nickel pass rusher but can get pushed around

Victor Isele (freshman) 6-2, 237. Quick guy who could be really stout at 250

Matt Weerts - 6-1, 239. Kind of short like Kava but lighter and a new position. Could help us in a limited role if he can get to 250+

Kelton McCaslin - 6-5, 235. Once he gets to 250, he-'s prototypical Bison DE size. He's a bit light now but height and length can overcome weight

Toby Anene - 6-3, 250. Physically he looks like out best player.

Abraham Myers - 6-2, 230. Freshman who could be good if he hits 250

Gannon Williams - 6-3, 234. Redshirt freshman, one he approaches 250 he could play

Hunter Zenzen - 6-2, 244

D Tackles

Kody Huisman - 6-4, 285. He played way too early last year due to Eli's injury but he has a high ceiling and looks the part

Eli Mostaert - 6-3, 287. Was once great but he has fallen off the map. Is he hurt?

Will Mostaert -- 6-2, 270. Started at DE so he is behind on weight compared to Eli.

Javier Derritt - 6-2, 280. Although he was 6-1 last year. I call BS on height

Jaxon Duttenhefer - 6-2, 282. Although she was 6-1 last year. I call BS again

Keenan Wilson - 6-1, 289. Freshman. Shorter but if he can get to 300, could be a player

Brennan Palmer - 6-5, 272 freshman. Big dude and a true freshman. He was a DE in high school. Awesome frame. This is how you develop players

Josh Magin - 6-5, 272. That's a big dude and he's only a redshirt freshman. Get him up to 300 and pair him with Palmer and we got 2 Power 5 sized DTs

Logan Larson - 6-3, 272. Kid looks quick and had one of the few sacks from the D-line this year

We also got some really good recruits in the upcoming recruiting class

KSBisonFan
10-16-2023, 04:43 PM

This. I remember loving the win, but thinking that offensive plan was not sustainable. Luckily, we still had some studs on defense then.

KSBisonFan
10-16-2023, 04:57 PM
I was checking out SDSUs roster

Defensive Tackle size

6-4, 295
6-6, 285
6-3, 265 (freshman)
6-1, 285
6-3, 280
6-3, 270
6-1, 280
6-5, 285
6-4, 285

Defensive Ends

Everyone is 6-3 minimum except a few shortet quick guys for 3rd and long but most are 250 to 260

Linebackers are mostly 6-0 to 6-1 but they even have a few 5-11 guys. Quick unit playing behind a big line

When we were dominant, we were 6-3 to 6-5 at DE around 250 pounds and the players were super athletic

This year we got

Kava - 6-1, 247. He's physically stout but too short

Hendricks - 6-3, 245. Big enough and athletic, but it's a relatively new position for a guy who started at linebacker

Loshiaka Roques - 6-3, 232. Quick guy who probably will never get to 250. Good nickel pass rusher but can get pushed around

Victor Isele (freshman) 6-2, 237. Quick guy who could be really stout at 250

Matt Weerts - 6-1, 239. Kind of short like Kava but lighter and a new position. Could help us in a limited role if he can get to 250+

Kelton McCaslin - 6-5, 235. Once he gets to 250, he-'s prototypical Bison DE size. He's a bit light now but height and length can overcome weight

Toby Anene - 6-3, 250. Physically he looks like out best player.

Abraham Myers - 6-2, 230. Freshman who could be good if he hits 250

Gannon Williams - 6-3, 234. Redshirt freshman, one he approaches 250 he could play

Hunter Zenzen - 6-2, 244

D Tackles

Kody Huisman - 6-4, 285. He played way too early last year due to Eli's injury but he has a high ceiling and looks the part

Eli Mostaert - 6-3, 287. Was once great but he has fallen off the map. Is he hurt?

Will Mostaert -- 6-2, 270. Started at DE so he is behind on weight compared to Eli.

Javier Derritt - 6-2, 280. Although he was 6-1 last year. I call BS on height

Jaxon Duttenhefer - 6-2, 282. Although she was 6-1 last year. I call BS again

Keenan Wilson - 6-1, 289. Freshman. Shorter but if he can get to 300, could be a player

Brennan Palmer - 6-5, 272 freshman. Big dude and a true freshman. He was a DE in high school. Awesome frame. This is how you develop players

Josh Magin - 6-5, 272. That's a big dude and he's only a redshirt freshman. Get him up to 300 and pair him with Palmer and we got 2 Power 5 sized DTs

Logan Larson - 6-3, 272. Kid looks quick and had one of the few sacks from the D-line this year

We also got some really good recruits in the upcoming recruiting class

We have D-linemen on the roster. We don't have any pass-rushers, run-stuffers or disrupters on the roster. There's a difference.

tony
10-16-2023, 05:02 PM
The presence of Trey covered a lot of sins. Now those sins are being exposed due to players not called "Trey."

The offense is not the problem. This offense is plenty good.

BTW, that 2019 JMU defense was fantastic, but their DC decided to go man with Trey as our QB because their DBs were awesome, and NDSU and Trey took advantage of that mistake which is exactly what wins games. And making the fake FG call helped win that game. So did the Sproles trick play. But our defense was pretty damn stout too.

You can't playcall your way out of not having a functional defense.

CAS4127
10-16-2023, 05:07 PM

BTW, that 2019 JMU defense was fantastic. especially against the run, but their DC decided to go man with Trey as our QB, and NDSU and Trey took advantage of that mistake which is exactly what wins games. Making the fake FG call helped win that game. So did the Sproles trick play. But our defense was pretty damn stout too. You can't playcall your way out of not having a functional defense.

Trey’s 2 longest runs that game, and several others as I recall, were not “called runs” they were tuck and runs by Trey, so I’d say he took advantage moreso than coaches.

tony
10-16-2023, 05:13 PM
Trey’s 2 longest runs that game, and several others as I recall, were not “called runs” they were tuck and runs by Trey, so I’d say he took advantage moreso than coaches.

That is true, but I don't think it was an accident that we had so many deep routes either - especially when Lance wasn't throwing the deep ball well at all that game.

heffray
10-16-2023, 05:14 PM

BTW, that 2019 JMU defense was fantastic, but their DC decided to go man with Trey as our QB because their DBs were awesome, and NDSU and Trey took advantage of that mistake which is exactly what wins games. And making the fake FG call helped win that game. So did the Sproles trick play. But our defense was pretty damn stout too.

You can't playcall your way out of not having a functional defense.

tony - this is silly. just because we have a terrible defense does not automatically mean all our Offensive play calls are brilliant. I agree that the Defense needs to improve drastically, and might even be the primary reason we are where we are right now, but you cannot tell me that you are satisfied with 10-20 DESIGNED QB RUNS per game…

CAS4127
10-16-2023, 05:18 PM
We have D-linemen on the roster. We don't have any pass-rushers, run-stuffers or disrupters on the roster. There's a difference.

Perhaps we should consider using a couple of you Olinemen as DTs in certain scenarios.

HerdBot
10-16-2023, 05:32 PM
I don't remember Bohl changing anything big about the offense ever. Take the Montana game in 2002 - did we come out passing after doing nothing on offense for the first half and being down 24-2? Nope, NDSU pounded the ball because NDSU's philosophy was to wear teams down. Even after the first drive of the half went nowhere, NDSU stuck with the run. Heck, the first TD drive was almost entirely Steffes running up their gut. Defense is where NDSU has always made the most adjustments at half - but not huge ones there either. Unlike others, I have seen defensive adjustments under Entz, but then dealing with unexpected wrinkles is really the DC's job.

Furthermore, in the last 40 years, I can't remember NDSU ever making big adjustments on offense. The adjustments have always been pretty subtle because, for one thing, it would be insane to try to do unfamiliar things on offense when execution is more than half the battle. Going back to the Montana game... they moved the ball at will against NDSU in the first half (almost 300 yards of offense and 3 TDs and a FG), but they barely got 50 yards in the second half. Some of that was NDSU making some adjustments on defense, some of it was NDSU defensive players making huge plays. Montana might have wanted to go conservative and run the ball in the second half, but NDSU didn't let them because NDSU's defense crushed their running game, forcing them to pass.

If folks want an offense that can come from 3 scores down in the second half, then I think that they are missing some larger issues - like how the hell does a team even get three scores against our defense?

Coach Bohl. After UNI sacked our QB 12 times he made major changes and inserted young players into the lineup like Billy Turner, Marcus Williams, etc.

BISONBRI53
10-16-2023, 05:33 PM
Coach Bohl. After UNI sacked our QB 12 times he made major changes and inserted young players into the lineup. Billy Turner, Marcus Williams, etc.

This guy is nowhere near Coach Bohl.......

tolnabison
10-16-2023, 06:04 PM
This guy is nowhere near Coach Bohl.......

There is a long list of players that I question deserve to be out there. My number 1 is Raja Nelson.

tony
10-16-2023, 06:36 PM
tony - this is silly. just because we have a terrible defense does not automatically mean all our Offensive play calls are brilliant. I agree that the Defense needs to improve drastically, and might even be the primary reason we are where we are right now, but you cannot tell me that you are satisfied with 10-20 DESIGNED QB RUNS per game…

Yeah, I've heard complaining about playcalling for almost 20 seasons now (make that 40 - every single time an option play didn't work, it was "Pass the damn ball" - but we didn't have social media back then so it wasn't as constant. Play selection was never a systematic problem and definitely isn't one now. If people in the program actually took it seriously, it would distract from real problems like the front 7 and the RB running game. People always say you should call plays to suit your personnel. Well, I'm looking at this team and thinking that Roehl is calling plays that work with what we have on the field now which is a helluva lot better than trying to call plays that would've worked with what we had on the field in 2013.

After the UND game, NDSU is still top 10 in the nation in passing efficiency and 3rd down conversions - and #13 in red zone conversion and #4 in time of possession. That's all in line with NDSU championship offenses. What's more, the offense takes care of the ball better than any team in the nation.

If NDSU had a championship caliber defense, we'd be looking at the highest scoring, most dominant offenses in our DI history even with our OL having lost a line's worth of NFL players (as well as one of the best blocking TEs we've ever had.) It boggles my damned mind that people are still complaining about offensive play selection.

heffray
10-17-2023, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I've heard complaining about playcalling for almost 20 seasons now (make that 40 - every single time an option play didn't work, it was "Pass the damn ball" - but we didn't have social media back then so it wasn't as constant. Play selection was never a systematic problem and definitely isn't one now. If people in the program actually took it seriously, it would distract from real problems like the front 7 and the RB running game. People always say you should call plays to suit your personnel. Well, I'm looking at this team and thinking that Roehl is calling plays that work with what we have on the field now which is a helluva lot better than trying to call plays that would've worked with what we had on the field in 2013.

After the UND game, NDSU is still top 10 in the nation in passing efficiency and 3rd down conversions - and #13 in red zone conversion and #4 in time of possession. That's all in line with NDSU championship offenses. What's more, the offense takes care of the ball better than any team in the nation.

If NDSU had a championship caliber defense, we'd be looking at the highest scoring, most dominant offenses in our DI history even with our OL having lost a line's worth of NFL players (as well as one of the best blocking TEs we've ever had.) It boggles my damned mind that people are still complaining about offensive play selection.

Are you actually watching games or just looking at stats?

In the South Dakota game, we had a nice drive down to inside the 10 and we called 2 QB runs, 1 with each QB and we also called a timeout. Stuffed both times and we kicked a field goal, 21-13… we score a TD there and it might be a completely different outcome. That is one example of situational play calling that has cost us and will continue to cost us games until we get an OC who has actually called offensive plays for more than just ND high school teams.

Jim Puetz
10-17-2023, 12:34 AM
Are you actually watching games or just looking at stats?

In the South Dakota game, we had a nice drive down to inside the 10 and we called 2 QB runs, 1 with each QB and we also called a timeout. Stuffed both times and we kicked a field goal, 21-13… we score a TD there and it might be a completely different outcome. That is one example of situational play calling that has cost us and will continue to cost us games until we get an OC who has actually called offensive plays for more than just ND high school teams.

Absolutely correct! Roehl consistently makes bad play calling decisions when we are in a rhythm and moving that ultimately stop our momentum and lead to a change in possession. That's why we can't come from behind because we stall too many drives when we are moving the ball.

steelbison
10-17-2023, 02:17 AM

Defense is awful no doubt. But to give our OC a pass is just plain wrong. We are awful on 3rd and 4th and short. My wife can call the play. Also our oline is no where near as dominant as it has been in the past. Have you ever seen two guys switch positions halfway through the year? Because I haven’t. The spread QB shotgun stuff 90 percent of the time isnt Bison football. It’s what everyone else does. RPO stands for Run Pass option. When do we ever pass after the fake? Maybe once this year?

Also what happened to QBs calling an audible? Now Roehl has to do that as well?

What about hurry up offense? When down multiple scores like we have been twice this year.

I do like the improvement in the passing game. Because last year we were awful.

scottietohottie
10-17-2023, 02:37 AM
Have they tried listening to creed pre game eh?

Cousins did and they beat da bears!

BisManBison
10-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Have they tried listening to creed pre game eh?

Cousins did and they beat da bears!

I don't know about the players, but Entz and Larsen could adopt "My Own Prison" as their theme songs.

cbline
10-17-2023, 06:11 PM
Defense is awful no doubt. But to give our OC a pass is just plain wrong. We are awful on 3rd and 4th and short. My wife can call the play. Also our oline is no where near as dominant as it has been in the past. Have you ever seen two guys switch positions halfway through the year? Because I haven’t. The spread QB shotgun stuff 90 percent of the time isnt Bison football. It’s what everyone else does. RPO stands for Run Pass option. When do we ever pass after the fake? Maybe once this year?

Also what happened to QBs calling an audible? Now Roehl has to do that as well?

What about hurry up offense? When down multiple scores like we have been twice this year.

I do like the improvement in the passing game. Because last year we were awful.

I highly doubt that will ever happen. Recall the 3rd quarter of the USD game: Bison scored to start the quarter. USD 3 plays and a punt. That was the last time the Coyotes touched the ball in the 3rd quarter. Bison held the ball for the rest of the quarter AND SCORED ZERO ADDITIONAL POINTS.

tony
10-17-2023, 08:36 PM
Defense is awful no doubt. But to give our OC a pass is just plain wrong. We are awful on 3rd and 4th and short.

Yeah, but NDSU is still #8 in the nation in third down conversion - of course, a lot of that has to do with Cam playing out of his mind. Anyway, I'm guessing we'd be a lot better on short yardage if the OL was better. I also think that there is a lot of confirmation bias going around (there is with me too - I thought NDSU was near the bottom of the FCS in red zone defense, but they were really pretty good outside the USD and UND games when they looked like a non-scholarship defense playing the 2013 Bison.) Don't get me wrong, I do not like seeing the QB five yards back of the center on 3rd down, but I'm thinking that our OL is the reason we're doing it. You call plays that suit the players you have, right?

I also expected the OL to be down since we've had 4 NFL guys graduate from the OL in the last couple years as well as some great TEs like Noah Gindorff. That said, I expected the OL to get better as the season went along (and I am still hopeful about that.)

I'm a bit worried that maybe our offense hasn't faced anything resembling a great defense yet. Maybe the defense has had tougher offenses in comparison... I don't think so, but it's a possibility.

To me, this is looking more like the 2008 team (6-5.) Since we haven't been playing young guys, that would make next season 2009.

While I don't want Entz fired (look how that kind of impatience has worked out for Nebraska), he has to take a clear-eyed look at the problems and make some really tough decisions - I'm guessing he knows what the problems are. And I have no solutions, I can only see that the defensive front 7 is not playing well at all and our RB run game is not effective. What I'm hoping is that are underclassmen are as good as advertised and that they start seeing the field. I'm not sure that will translate into more wins this year though so it's a tough call.

scottietohottie
10-17-2023, 08:43 PM
It was 49-17 at one point Saturday bros. Impatience? Some of us saw this coming. Let's wait until after 2026 and give him the benefit of the doubt.

DCinOK
10-17-2023, 10:22 PM
I'm completely ticked at what Entz has done with the Dynasty, yet I don't understand how so many here seem to criticize Entz's recruiting while at the same time portraying our young kids (who haven't been playing much) as part of the answer to our problems. The young guns are Entz's recruits as well....

BigHorns
10-17-2023, 10:59 PM
It was 49-17 at one point Saturday bros. Impatience? Some of us saw this coming. Let's wait until after 2026 and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Afraid that's close to reality, unless we hit a really new low. He will get this year, and at least one more year to right the ship is my prediction. Possibly longer, depending on postseason results.

I believe worst case is in fact having a series of luke-warm results where we slowly become an average FCS team. If we really stink it up, they would be forced to pull the plug quicker.

We go 8-3 or 7-4, win some playoff games and get to Semi's, then Entz 100% will be back next year. I'm not even sure he's gone at 6-5 and missing the playoffs THIS year.

TAILG8R
10-17-2023, 11:24 PM
Afraid that's close to reality, unless we hit a really new low. He will get this year, and at least one more year to right the ship is my prediction. Possibly longer, depending on postseason results.

I believe worst case is in fact having a series of luke-warm results where we slowly become an average FCS team. If we really stink it up, they would be forced to pull the plug quicker.

We go 8-3 or 7-4, win some playoff games and get to Semi's, then Entz 100% will be back next year. I'm not even sure he's gone at 6-5 and missing the playoffs THIS year.

In reality he’s not getting fired in the next two years. We could go 5-6 two years in a row and he won’t get fired. At this level coaches just don’t get renewed.

BigHorns
10-17-2023, 11:32 PM
In reality he’s not getting fired in the next two years. We could go 5-6 two years in a row and he won’t get fired. At this level coaches just don’t get renewed.

You may be right, but things could get rather ugly if he rides out his contract and can't improve.

Entz got an extension after Frisco, so his contract runs thru end of 2026.
We could be talking another 3 years of this.

scottietohottie
10-17-2023, 11:33 PM
Matt Entz is so afraid to make a change I bet he wears the same pair of tightie whiteys all season eh.

SDbison
10-18-2023, 12:01 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk It might make a difference if 1000 season tickets are not renewed after this year and the leading reason cited is the teams performance under Entz.

steelbison
10-18-2023, 12:05 AM
Yeah, but NDSU is still #8 in the nation in third down conversion - of course, a lot of that has to do with Cam playing out of his mind. Anyway, I'm guessing we'd be a lot better on short yardage if the OL was better. I also think that there is a lot of confirmation bias going around (there is with me too - I thought NDSU was near the bottom of the FCS in red zone defense, but they were really pretty good outside the USD and UND games when they looked like a non-scholarship defense playing the 2013 Bison.) Don't get me wrong, I do not like seeing the QB five yards back of the center on 3rd down, but I'm thinking that our OL is the reason we're doing it. You call plays that suit the players you have, right?

I also expected the OL to be down since we've had 4 NFL guys graduate from the OL in the last couple years as well as some great TEs like Noah Gindorff. That said, I expected the OL to get better as the season went along (and I am still hopeful about that.)

I'm a bit worried that maybe our offense hasn't faced anything resembling a great defense yet. Maybe the defense has had tougher offenses in comparison... I don't think so, but it's a possibility.

To me, this is looking more like the 2008 team (6-5.) Since we haven't been playing young guys, that would make next season 2009.

While I don't want Entz fired (look how that kind of impatience has worked out for Nebraska), he has to take a clear-eyed look at the problems and make some really tough decisions - I'm guessing he knows what the problems are. And I have no solutions, I can only see that the defensive front 7 is not playing well at all and our RB run game is not effective. What I'm hoping is that are underclassmen are as good as advertised and that they start seeing the field. I'm not sure that will translate into more wins this year though so it's a tough call.

We see things almost exactly the same. Only difference is the read option since Tyler has taken over has increased every year. I think it’s a personal preference more than the type of olineman we have Because why would you try to fix something that wasn’t broken?

When he is interviewed he talks about how much he likes the QB run game. Believes having that extra blocker really makes a difference. I prefer the old west coast style of offense. Sets up play action and the screen game. Remember those days? Remember when we used to take a few deep shots a game to keep the safeties honest.

The other thing the is really disturbing besides our awful defense is when we are behind the zero sense of urgency. Our lack of a hurry up style of offense. Entz says they practice it all the time but whatever they are practicing isnt translating to the field.

AlumniGreen
10-18-2023, 12:29 AM
Matt Entz is so afraid to make a change I bet he wears the same pair of tightie whiteys all season eh.

I can't unsee that image. :blush:

CAS4127
10-18-2023, 01:52 AM
My immediate thought after UND ran the opening KO back for a TD was: “settle down—>That won’t define nor dictate the outcome of the game. Get the starters together and get level-headed and think about game plan that your prepared for.”.

From what I saw, coaches panicked and did not have level-headness, and our players did likewise. It’s really not that big of a deal if an opponent runs back the opening KO for a TD, cuz it’s only like 13-14 seconds of an entire game you prepared for. Settle in and execute. But, nope, coaches acted like it was an earthquake and ran for effing cover!!

Lack of leadership. And, if we had an Alpha on Offense or Defense, that alpha should have stepped in when coaches didnt and said, “let’s go”!!

totoinfl
10-18-2023, 02:10 AM
My immediate thought after UND ran the opening KO back for a TD was: “settle down—>That won’t define nor dictate the outcome of the game. Get the starters together and get level-headed and think about game plan that your prepared for.”.

From what I saw, coaches panicked and did not have level-headness, and our players did likewise. It’s really not that big of a deal if an opponent runs back the opening KO for a TD, cuz it’s only like 13-14 seconds of an entire game you prepared for. Settle in and execute. But, nope, coaches acted like it was an earthquake and ran for effing cover!!

Lack of leadership. And, if we had an Alpha on Offense or Defense, that alpha should have stepped in when coaches didnt and said, “let’s go”!!

Bumped for truth

El_Chapo
10-18-2023, 02:39 AM
I'm completely ticked at what Entz has done with the Dynasty, yet I don't understand how so many here seem to criticize Entz's recruiting while at the same time portraying our young kids (who haven't been playing much) as part of the answer to our problems. The young guns are Entz's recruits as well....

this^^^ its NOT good. I've been saying C or D the last 3 years of recruiting... but all of you guys whined and bitched at me.

Gonna need MINIMUM 5-6 FBS drop downs next year. Defense might need them all and some WR's/RB's.

El_Chapo
10-18-2023, 02:42 AM

CAS NDSU got the ball after kick return and literally waltzed down the field with ease to make it 7-7 so we were good.

Entz/Goeser/Olson should've huddled the Defense and Challenge their asses (after it was 7-14 and the defense got gashed) but they all just stood around with thumbs up asses

BigHorns
10-18-2023, 08:09 AM
CAS NDSU got the ball after kick return and literally waltzed down the field with ease to make it 7-7 so we were good.

Entz/Goeser/Olson should've huddled the Defense and Challenge their asses (after it was 7-14 and the defense got gashed) but they all just stood around with thumbs up asses

Offense may not be perfect, but it does enough. It's the defense thats been non-existent some games.

We better figure out how to defend runs up the middle, because every team will try that now. UND exposed our line play.

bruinbison
10-18-2023, 11:18 AM
this^^^ its NOT good. I've been saying C or D the last 3 years of recruiting... but all of you guys whined and bitched at me.

Gonna need MINIMUM 5-6 FBS drop downs next year. Defense might need them all and some WR's/RB's.

So these players the last 3 years of recruiting you have been so
down on - they are currently RFr, FR
and the yet to arrive on campus Class of ‘24. Good job!!!

so we didn't recruit enough HS kids worthy of a 2024 scholarship. got it.
plus i see about 6-7 PWOS in this class already
4 kids were nepotism recruits.
if Entz grabbed 3-4 more big recruits with FBS offers (not service academies or mac's either) I'd be throwing roses!!

Minnesota kids ranked 16, 18 and 19 (we've had top 10 before)
ZERO Wisconsin Kids (Goeser is a Sconi)

Hey its a SOLID B- after 10 years of Dynasty This should be easiest recruiting ever (last year was even worse)

Rankings on 24/7
116 in 2024
167 in 2023 0 starters, but understandable
142 in 2022 0 starters maybe 1.
202 in 2021 WOOOOF 0 starters now!!!

BISONBRI53
10-18-2023, 12:52 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim Puetz
10-18-2023, 03:23 PM
If our coaches can figure out how to make adjustments at half like they used to do, we can finish respectably this season. I'm not counting us out, but everyone; all coaches and all players have to raise their level of execution.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-18-2023, 03:42 PM

Transfer portal needs to be hit hard to fill the holes on both sides of the ball, need to be picky and strategic.

oldmantutters
10-18-2023, 03:45 PM
I don't think it was that uncommon in years past where the opposition was able to move the ball coming out to start the game. What's different now is that there opposition is continuing that where in the past they didn't. I don't know if that is a lack of adjustments, a lack of skill or a combination of both. I would guess it's a combination of both.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
10-18-2023, 04:38 PM
I'm no football expert, but I thought a big part of that was just wearing down the offensive line by subbing more often so our defensive line was less tired as the game went on.

I don't think it was that uncommon in years past where the opposition was able to move the ball coming out to start the game. What's different now is that there opposition is continuing that where in the past they didn't. I don't know if that is a lack of adjustments, a lack of skill or a combination of both. I would guess it's a combination of both.

El_Chapo
10-18-2023, 04:50 PM
I'm no football expert, but I thought a big part of that was just wearing down the offensive line by subbing more often so our defensive line was less tired as the game went on.

yes i think i told the story about 5-6 years ago i was in a golf scramble in wisconsin w family and big dude had a illinois state shirt and he was a former OL coach for them. And he kept going on and on about how NDSU on the DL & LB spots would just rotate and rotate and rotate and wore out their 5 OL guys that were out there every play. he was real impressed

GFBison
10-18-2023, 07:15 PM
So these players the last 3 years of recruiting you have been so
down on - they are currently RFr, FR
and the yet to arrive on campus Class of ‘24. Good job!!!

Come on. Facts don't matter.

GFBison
10-18-2023, 07:24 PM
A KO return for a TD, a blocked punt that gave them a short field, and an interception that was nearly a pick 6. Not many teams can overcome that. They seemed like they were moving in the right direction, until the interception and then the long TD run was the final nail. They seem to have identified some of the issues, now they need to show improvement on the field of play. Starting fast, that has not happened a few times, and certainly didn't last week.

The_Sicatoka
10-18-2023, 07:35 PM
People undervalue:

- the UND drive to make it 28-17: took back momentum going to half
- the score after the INT (35-17): suddenly it's a three score game with about 22 minutes left (28-24 would've looked very different)

tolnabison
10-18-2023, 07:39 PM
A KO return for a TD, a blocked punt that gave them a short field, and an interception that was nearly a pick 6. Not many teams can overcome that. They seemed like they were moving in the right direction, until the interception and then the long TD run was the final nail. They seem to have identified some of the issues, now they need to show improvement on the field of play. Starting fast, that has not happened a few times, and certainly didn't last week.

What about Cole Payton dropping the snap on third and 2 on the second drive of the game. Down 14-7, moving the ball again. That killed the second drive in the first half. He had the first down to continue the drive easily gained.

TAILG8R
10-18-2023, 10:00 PM
How about the defense being as tough as a wet tissue all game long?

Talking about any other moment throughout the game is pointless. This defense has not been great all year and is trending down. It's funny how much time we've all spent complaining about offensive play calling(me included) when the defense looks like something from the Southland.

WestCoastBison
11-04-2023, 10:05 PM
Bump. I done told ya’s

BigHorns
11-04-2023, 10:21 PM
How about the defense being as tough as a wet tissue all game long?

Talking about any other moment throughout the game is pointless. This defense has not been great all year and is trending down. It's funny how much time we've all spent complaining about offensive play calling(me included) when the defense looks like something from the Southland.

That's the story of the season right there. Our defense couldn't stop one of Chapo's grandmas.

Son of a Bison
11-04-2023, 10:30 PM
My first concern with Entz was the Eastern Washington game vs Copper Kupp. We rushed 3 and got 0 pressure. And they picked us apart. Kleiman seemed pissed after this and seems to be more involved in the D.

At the same time, Kleiman “blessed” Entz to be the next coach at one of the Team Makers events. Let Entz be the lead presenter and ret is history.

TAILG8R
11-04-2023, 11:07 PM
My first concern with Entz was the Eastern Washington game vs Copper Kupp. We rushed 3 and got 0 pressure. And they picked us apart. Kleiman seemed pissed after this and seems to be more involved in the D.

At the same time, Kleiman “blessed” Entz to be the next coach at one of the Team Makers events. Let Entz be the lead presenter and ret is history.

He knew he didn’t want him at KState and pushed for him to be the head coach.

garbageman
11-04-2023, 11:15 PM
He knew he didn’t want him at KState and pushed for him to be the head coach.

And you know this how?

TAILG8R
11-04-2023, 11:23 PM
And you know this how?

Well it was obviously conjecture.

But I find it interesting you are such an adamant defender today. For your own mental health you should not be on a message board where people are fittingly shitting all over your loved one.

heffray
11-05-2023, 01:09 AM

But I find it interesting you are such an adamant defender today. For your own mental health you should not be on a message board where people are fittingly shitting all over your loved one.

Entz’s grandma eh… Chapo knows her eh…

scottietohottie
11-05-2023, 01:16 AM

Lolz. Garbage man is actually married to Matt Babentz. Lolz

BISONBRI53
11-06-2023, 01:36 PM
Entz’s grandma eh… Chapo knows her eh…

Marlboro Marge?

El_Chapo
11-06-2023, 03:35 PM
glad I didn't buy my usual 4 Frisco tickets at $800 this year.

scottietohottie
11-18-2023, 08:23 PM
I bet Entz has a Vin Diesel poster with family written on it eh.

TAILG8R
11-18-2023, 10:00 PM

lol perfect

El_Chapo
11-19-2023, 05:42 AM
Fire up the Crow !!

SlickVic
11-19-2023, 06:36 AM
this is neither here nor there but how many studs as far as acadmically speaking goes has he had off the field? seems like every friggen player interviewed on 1660 is some sort of einstien in terms of academic accomplishments--------impressive and like i say we may be witnessing the next woody hays here guys what a time to be alive!

SlickVic
11-19-2023, 06:54 AM
ok so the first 7 players i click on starting at #0 and going to #19

mathis-honor role
henderson- graduate
raja- honor role
miller- mvc comish academic excellence award
payton- same
benson- same
lipe- same and also new hampshire honor society

like i say thats literally the first 7 guys i clicked on and im not doing this all night but needless to say not to bad for a meat head may need to amend the woody hayes comparison to joe pa if he keeps this up!

bruinbison
11-19-2023, 01:32 PM

mathis-honor role
henderson- graduate
raja- honor role
payton- same
benson- same

like i say thats literally the first 7 guys i clicked on and im not doing this all night but needless to say not to bad for a meat head may need to amend the woody hayes comparison to joe pa if he keeps this up!

Further down at #31 is Cole Wisniewski

https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/cole-wisniewski/18934

He is one many key Bison who played as true freshman during the Spring Season, so in reality is a Junior. As a Bison football fan my main worry on him not returning is he is such an outstanding student that he might need to go somewhere else to continue his education in whatever field that is. But congrats to him if he does move on, fantastic options/opportunities await!

WestCoastBison
11-19-2023, 03:18 PM
Fire up the Crow !!

Haha! I’ll definitely eat it if we win. I’m hoping so

El_Chapo
11-19-2023, 04:02 PM

Pump it up!!

td577
11-19-2023, 05:24 PM

mathis-honor role
henderson- graduate
raja- honor role
payton- same
benson- same

like i say thats literally the first 7 guys i clicked on and im not doing this all night but needless to say not to bad for a meat head may need to amend the woody hayes comparison to joe pa if he keeps this up!I'm not surprised. Student/ athletes are given way more resources than ever. Less time allowed for practice, tutors, online resources, laptops, and most have more money available to them so work doesn't have to happen. Classroom, online, and hybrid learning possibilities are reaching these guys in the way they learn best. Lastly, this is a school where athletics is generally seen as a positive aspect of the education experience, so probably not too many professors working against them for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

BISONBRI53
11-20-2023, 01:24 PM

With a Corona and a seat at the table ready to eat.

BisManBison
11-20-2023, 04:27 PM

Same, I'll even Youtube it lol. Good thing crow season doesn't close in ND. Prove me wrong Matt Entz, prove me wrong!!!

WestCoastBison
11-20-2023, 04:31 PM
I hope this thread goes into the hall of shame. If we win it all this year Entz will rack of another 5 in a row

WestCoastBison
11-20-2023, 04:33 PM
And he probably has this thread title taped in his office lol. Hey that’s what fans are for.

NI4NI
11-20-2023, 09:10 PM
I want to give anyone the benefit of the doubt.
That said, what possible circumstances led to the exodus of talent?

DB Marques Sigle
receiver DJ Hart
running back Dominic Gonnella
Courtney Eubanks
Jalen Bussey
Phoenix Sproles
Kobe Johnson

Who leaves a still alive dynasty? Unless they feel the dynasty is dying?
Where were the explanations for their exits?
They are anxious to ask for donations for this and donations for that, but ignore the fact that we deserve explanations for these departures?
Nothing adds up.

reformedUNDfan
11-20-2023, 09:14 PM

DB Marques Sigle
receiver DJ Hart
Courtney Eubanks
Jalen Bussey
Phoenix Sproles
Kobe Johnson

They are anxious to ask for donations for this and donations for that, but ignore the fact that we deserve explanations for these departures?
Nothing adds up.

Kobe was out of eligibility
Hart sproles and gonnella were buried on the depth chart
Bussey was a gadget player

Single was for playing time and he should have been starting last year.

NI4NI
11-20-2023, 09:21 PM
Kobe was out of eligibility
Hart sproles and gonnella were buried on the depth chart
Bussey was a gadget player

Single was for playing time and he should have been starting last year.

Kobe went to Co St

Some of these were moves to FBS programs which is understandable however NDSU players get more favorable consideration for draft than many FBS programs.
And some of these guys literally left the penthouse for the dump. Defies logic.

reformedUNDfan
11-20-2023, 09:27 PM
Kobe went to Co St

Some of these were moves to FBS programs which is understandable however NDSU players get more favorable consideration for draft than many FBS programs.
And some of these guys literally left the penthouse for the dump. Defies logic.

Yes Kobe went to CSU because he was out of eligibility but through a quirk in the rules could play another year elsewhere

KSBisonFan
11-20-2023, 09:31 PM

DB Marques Sigle
receiver DJ Hart
Courtney Eubanks
Jalen Bussey
Phoenix Sproles
Kobe Johnson

Nothing adds up.

Dom Jones is the guy we are really missing at the safety position. Sigle starts for K-state and should have played more last year. Eubanks would have been good to have back too. The rest would just have blocked younger guys from seeing the field.

NI4NI
11-20-2023, 09:42 PM
The rest would just have blocked younger guys from seeing the field.

C'mon. Don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining. That's the same old "We're better off without them" bullcrap that piss poor bosses always say when talent hits the door. That's wrong. We'd be better if they were still here. In my opinion anyway.
And it still doesn't explain the ones who went to real sewers of football programs.

heffray
11-20-2023, 09:49 PM
NI4NI comin in HOT with TAKES lol…

NI4NI
11-20-2023, 09:51 PM

Just testing the water at the deep end! LOL

GreenfieldBison
11-20-2023, 10:40 PM
meh

I was working out a little bit ago and watched the presser from today. I learned something. Well two things: 1) that's my meat head there. Glad to have him and, 2) I'll put this item over in the Cole Payton thread.

Here's the linky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFQZRYCECM

KSBisonFan
11-20-2023, 11:17 PM
C'mon. Don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining. That's the same old "We're better off without them" bullcrap that piss poor bosses always say when talent hits the door. That's wrong. We'd be better if they were still here. In my opinion anyway.
And it still doesn't explain the ones who went to real sewers of football programs.

It's raining. The guys we lost on defense hurt. A lot. The guys we lost on offense, were all replaceable. In my opinion, anyway.

I never said we're better off without them, although sometimes in football and business, that's the reality.

El_Chapo
11-20-2023, 11:48 PM
It's raining. The guys we lost on defense hurt. A lot. The guys we lost on offense, were all replaceable. In my opinion, anyway.

I never said we're better off without them, although sometimes in football and business, that's the reality.

The parents said losing those guys really hurt team morale

Also Dom Sigle Eubanks in our D Backfield would shut down every FCS pass attack

NI4NI
11-21-2023, 12:10 AM
I guess I drove the wrong point home there. Where I should have went was WHY did these guys jump ship? Regardless of their value. Something doesn't smell right when that many leave a winning organization that provides them more upside than their destinations offered?

El_Chapo
11-21-2023, 12:14 AM
I guess I drove the wrong point home there. Where I should have went was WHY did these guys jump ship? Regardless of their value. Something doesn't smell right when that many leave a winning organization that provides them more upside than their destinations offered?

i've already alluded to it in other threads.
ndsu not going fbs is 1 reason
NIL is another reason ,
the AD is another reason

too much HS bullcrap with playing certain players as well.

bruinbison
11-21-2023, 02:04 AM
Kolpack & Izzo mentioned from UNI that DJ Hart was not listed on the Panthers roster due to being academically ineligible

Twincitybizon
11-22-2023, 08:05 PM
Watched ndsu vs Kansas State again today... For perspective

Defense: Our d line was much bigger and sheds blocks better. Defense both hit harder and tackled better. You don't have to celebrate every tackle when you expect to make them. Wild right!

Offense: been said elsewhere, not sure how you watch Brock play and think he's better than Cam, the king of comfort. Cam has the better arm and wheels. Our current O looks like we can push the ball down field a lot better. Not a ton of YAC from the 2013 squad in that game. Crockett looks really dynamic compared to our current backs and he didn't even have a big game. Dude was a stud

Overall: few penalties, played cleaner, faster, harder. Reflection of coaching?

steelbison
11-23-2023, 06:07 PM

Defense: Our d line was much bigger and sheds blocks better. Defense both hit harder and tackled better. You don't have to celebrate every tackle when you expect to make them. Wild right!

Offense: been said elsewhere, not sure how you watch Brock play and think he's better than Cam, the king of comfort. Cam has the better arm and wheels. Our current O looks like we can push the ball down field a lot better. Not a ton of YAC from the 2013 squad in that game. Crockett looks really dynamic compared to our current backs and he didn't even have a big game. Dude was a stud

I’ll tell you how. Brock had 44 total TDs his senior year. 3rd team all American 1st team MVFC. Offensive player of the year. Clutch when he needed to be just like the K State game. I’ll take Brock his senior vs Cams senior year any day. But that’s just me. I like my QBs to be clutch when it’s most needed. Cam completed one pass in a national semi final game.

mtoutfitter
11-23-2023, 06:13 PM
I’ll tell you how. Brock had 44 total TDs his senior year. 3rd team all American 1st team MVFC. Offensive player of the year. Clutch when he needed to be just like the K State game. I’ll take Brock his senior vs Cams senior year any day. But that’s just me. I like my QBs to be clutch when it’s most needed. Cam completed one pass in a national semi final game.

Not trying to be an ass but....wasn't that Cams' first full year as a starter?

GreenfieldBison
11-23-2023, 06:38 PM
Regardless, Cam has been much better this year. He’s like a different player than last year.

steelbison
11-23-2023, 07:24 PM

Last year was Cams first year as a starter? Really??

heffray
11-23-2023, 07:42 PM
Last year was Cams first year as a starter? Really??

It was his first year as the undisputed starter, yes. He took over for Zeb in 2020 and Quincy in 2021…

mtoutfitter
11-23-2023, 08:38 PM
It was his first year as the undisputed starter, yes. He took over for Zeb in 2020 and Quincy in 2021…

Yes. That was my point. First "full" yr starting.

Twincitybizon
11-24-2023, 02:06 AM
1. Cam is playing much better now than past years. 2. 2013 team was much better than our current 2023 model. Brock had more help and just wasn't asked to handle to load like cam right now. For fucks sake we can't win a game with out him taking the kickoff and scoring on the first drive. Our d can barely get off the field

SDbison
11-24-2023, 02:47 AM
1. Cam is playing much better now than past years. 2. 2013 team was much better than our current 2023 model. Brock had more help and just wasn't asked to handle to load like cam right now. For fucks sake we can't win a game with out him taking the kickoff and scoring on the first drive. Our d can barely get off the field Yep, Cam is so exciting that only about 7500 tickets have been sold for this game. Then again the coaching staff performance all year has been underwhelming.

56BISON73
11-24-2023, 02:55 AM
Yep, Drake is so exciting that only about 7500 tickets have been sold for this game. Then again the coaching staff performance all year has been underwhelming.

Fixed it for you.

WestCoastBison
11-25-2023, 05:15 PM

Answer: Yes

Bison2024
11-26-2023, 02:36 AM
^Absolutely.

ndsubison1
11-26-2023, 04:22 AM

Current backs are nowhere near Ojuri or Crockett.

kab1one
11-28-2023, 03:04 PM
Interesting discussion today on Brady Quinn, Lavar Harrington Show. 2 pros and a cup of joe they call it. Discussing Ryan Day and the cries for his job at Ohio State. Day has lost 7 games since he has been coach at OSU, last 3 years to Michigan, so some want him fired. Lavar went off on how OSU fans are unreasonable. The team has down well and the expectation is too high if you want him fired.

Relate this to NDSU, Entz' record is similar if not better than Ryan Days and some want the coach fired. In many regards same type of situation current coach has had success but just not good enough for some. Don't know that the right answer is. But NDSU can be compared to OSU in this regard and fan reaction.

BigLakeBison
11-28-2023, 03:13 PM
Interesting discussion today on Brady Quinn, Lavar Harrington Show. 2 pros and a cup of joe they call it. Discussing Ryan Day and the cries for his job at Ohio State. Day has lost 7 games since he has been coach at OSU, last 3 years to Michigan, so some want him fired. Lavar went off on how OSU fans are unreasonable. The team has down well and the expectation is too high if you want him fired.

Relate this to NDSU, Entz' record is similar if not better than Ryan Days and some want the coach fired. In many regards same type of situation current coach has had success but just not good enough for some. Don't know that the right answer is. But NDSU can be compared to OSU in this regard and fan reaction.

I don't believe that either Day or Entz should be fired but they should both understand that expectations are high and they are not currently being met. They both willingly signed the contract knowing full well the expectations of the position. Neither are victims or martyrs.

NDSU92
11-28-2023, 03:40 PM
I don't believe that either Day or Entz should be fired but they should both understand that expectations are high and they are not currently being met. They both willingly signed the contract knowing full well the expectations of the position. Neither are victims or martyrs.

Yes, this 100%.

mtoutfitter
11-28-2023, 03:41 PM

I think that is a fair statement.

reformedUNDfan
11-28-2023, 03:53 PM

Entz was staring 6-5 in the face a couple weeks ago.

oldmantutters
11-28-2023, 04:06 PM
There are some definite similarities between Entz and Day. Entz is 58-10, Day is 56-7. Both are at programs where their resources are generally more abundant than their competition and, as BigLakeBison started, the expectations placed upon them reflect that. Both have not had much success with their biggest rivals.

I think Day's biggest struggle has been that he coaches different against Michigan and it hasn't worked.

I'm not sure how good of a coach Entz is. What bugs me the most is that I'm not sure how much he is willing to look in the mirror and see where he can improve. Because, frankly, I don't think he has improved. Things that he struggled with at the beginning of his tenure are things that he still struggles with.

One area that really grinds my gears is his game management skills. Obviously resources we the FCS left l level are a bit more restricted in obviously the money but also the number of coaches and "advisors/consultants" that are allowed. It got me thinking, if he struggles so much with game management and analytics, is there someone in game that can help him in game with that. Then I went down the rabbit hole of how ridiculous it is that they have Kramer on the sidelines and his job is to basically keep people out of the white painted area. NDSU is far from the only school that has someone tasked with this, but it's also ridiculous that 18-23 year olds cannot stay out of that area on their own.

ALPHAGRIZ1
11-29-2023, 12:51 AM
Almost any coach walking in to Ohio St or NDSU will win because the programs are set up.

Difference being, Urban Meyer and Bohl/Klieman won the big games.

Day and Entz don't. More so Day he's an average coach maintaining a good program he's not making it better simply because he cant he's too generic and plays not to lose most of the time. That usually results in a loss. Entz might be in the same boat but you guys are so far ahead of any other FCS program even a deficiency at HC doesn't stop you most years. This year is an anomaly for the Bison. Entz gets too cute and deviates from what made you guys great. the running game and control of the clock. I noticed a few things his first year and then definitely in his second year where attention to detail and fundamentals were not like years past. The little things matter

Still wouldn't surprise me to see you win it all again because SDSU isn't going to do it