PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Game #8 Preview: Illinois State

tony
10-19-2022, 05:44 PM
The Redbirds only have 1 conference loss. They just squeaked out a 2-point win against USD at home.

Their only bad loss was to Wisconsin (38-0). They're a pass-happy team although they can change that against NDSU. Their QB Annexstad does run the ball.

This will probably be a close game, and I kind of wish it was an away game.

tony
10-19-2022, 10:21 PM
ISU-Red has only been averaging 16ppg in MVFC play - so that's encouraging.

Gopher24
10-20-2022, 01:59 AM
https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/zack-annexstad/19468
https://goredbirds.com/sports/football/roster/zack-annexstad/10299

Heres your Illinois State QB

El_Chapo
10-20-2022, 05:46 AM
Zach is a very good QB. dude played at camp Randall so the dome shouldn't intimidated him like most qbs

JMB
10-21-2022, 04:31 PM
Well if I was the coach it will be "Run, Run, Run" until NDSU proves they can stop it. As fans we probably should get used to that game plan.

tony
10-24-2022, 05:55 PM
I watched ISU-Red just rip ISU-Blue's defense apart - TDs on their first three drives. And their defense held ISU-Blue to under 30 total yards for their first 4 possessions.

It was so disgusting that I turned to a different game and then, surprisingly, ISU-Blue came all the way back and had a chance to win the game in the closing seconds.

Illinois State obviously looked really good for the bit of the game I watched - their DL looked like a tough matchup for NDSU (again), that's for sure.

Professor Chaos
10-24-2022, 06:32 PM
I thought I heard mention that Cole Wisniewski was practicing??? Would be a big boost IMO for a LB corps in need of some help.

I'm guessing the coaches really enjoyed this last week of practice. Should've taken no effort to get the focus of the players and could probably go back to working on some fundamentals before installing the Illinois St game plan this week.

bstark28
10-24-2022, 07:19 PM
I thought I heard mention that Cole Wisniewski was practicing??? Would be a big boost IMO for a LB corps in need of some help.

I'm guessing the coaches really enjoyed this last week of practice. Should've taken no effort to get the focus of the players and could probably go back to working on some fundamentals before installing the Illinois St game plan this week.

I actually just got a Tweet back from Izzo, when I asked he he'd heard a status update on Cole, saying that he apparently practiced last week, albeit in the white, non-contact jersey.

El_Chapo
10-25-2022, 02:59 PM
Ok I'm back needed 5 days off from Bisonville...

NDSU needs to jump up early, I'm talking right away, hook and ladder , flea flicker 1st play. it's a must.

I'm worried about attendance, seeing tons of tickets being sold, it's Halloween weekend, HS Football Playoffs, Hunting in full swing and Harvest.

get your friends to this game

TransAmBison
10-25-2022, 03:04 PM

NDSU needs to jump up early, I'm talking right away, hook and ladder , flea flicker 1st play. it's a must.

I'm worried about attendance, seeing tons of tickets being sold, it's Halloween weekend, HS Football Playoffs, Hunting in full swing and Harvest.

get your friends to this gameI remember NDSU doing something like that against...I think it was Weber. Stupid play calling like that made a game of it. Plays like that need set up to set the hook.

Bison Bridge Guy
10-25-2022, 03:14 PM
I remember NDSU doing something like that against...I think it was Weber. Stupid play calling like that made a game of it. Plays like that need set up to set the hook.

We don't need trick plays to get up on them. Just execute a balanced attack like the start of the SDSU game and stick with it the whole game instead of going into a shell.

El_Chapo
10-25-2022, 03:19 PM
We don't need trick plays to get up on them. Just execute a balanced attack like the start of the SDSU game and stick with it the whole game instead of going into a shell.

I know I know... and that's what we will do.

I just thought it'd be awesome to Jump on Somebody from the start and surprise everyone. carry on.

I am worried about 15,000 actual butts in the dome. :(

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-25-2022, 03:53 PM

get your friends to this game
All the bandwagoners are in Vegas…… seriously blows my mind to see that hostile logo all over my Facebook feed being worn by “so called” Bison fans…..pick a dam side !

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-25-2022, 04:13 PM

I just thought it'd be awesome to Jump on Somebody from the start and surprise everyone. carry on.

I'll be there and I scream for 10
Everyone around me left 2 weeks ago except the bunny fans
I think they find me obnoxious .. go figure
The constant swearing certainly doesn't help ...

El_Chapo
10-25-2022, 05:31 PM
All the bandwagoners are in Vegas…… seriously blows my mind to see that hostile logo all over my Facebook feed being worn by “so called” Bison fans…..pick a dam side !

huh? i have ZERO people interested in that on my thousands of friends on social. all the cool people are at NDSU football, period.

Illinois State schedule so far is interesting I'll say that.

1st&TennBison
10-25-2022, 11:13 PM
I think we need to go deep into the playbook on our very first offensive play. Start the play with A-Gap power, bounce it outside to the left, then pitch to Zac Mathis for the reverse back to the right, pitch it to miller who will do a pump fake and then punts the ball to our own 45 yard line, where a Ill St player will touch the ball but not cover it, Hunter will scoop the ball and carry 8 defenders in for a TD. Best play of the year.

56BISON73
10-25-2022, 11:28 PM

No youre not.

El_Chapo
10-26-2022, 01:10 PM
I think we need to go deep into the playbook on our very first offensive play. Start the play with A-Gap power, bounce it outside to the left, then pitch to Zac Mathis for the reverse back to the right, pitch it to miller who will do a pump fake and then punts the ball to our own 45 yard line, where a Ill St player will touch the ball but not cover it, Hunter will scoop the ball and carry 8 defenders in for a TD. Best play of the year.

Creative would be nice.

KSBisonFan
10-26-2022, 01:58 PM
Creative would be nice.

Winning is even better regardless of how it happens.

G_Funky
10-26-2022, 02:05 PM
Winning is even better regardless of how it happens.

For sure - just ask the posters over on Bisonville.

SDbison
10-26-2022, 02:08 PM
So what is going to change in this game to to make the Bison defense play better and the offense be more consistent? Improved mix of plays? Better tackling? Less stupid mistakes and penalties? Seems Entz talks about the need to get better, but so far this year little or no improvement. Reality is overall coaching and player capabilities on this year's Bison team are not as good as the previous 10 years. I think coaching is a bigger problem than the talent.

cbline
10-26-2022, 02:27 PM
So what is going to change in this game to to make the Bison defense play better and the offense be more consistent? Improved mix of plays? Better tackling? Less stupid mistakes and penalties? Seems Entz talks about the need to get better, but so far this year little or no improvement. Reality is overall coaching and player capabilities on this year's Bison team are not as good as the previous 10 years. I think coaching is a bigger problem than the talent.

I was certainly expecting a whole lot more from the offense with all of the returning RB's and Cam being here.

Hard to imagine, but did the departure of Christian Watson REALLY affect the game plans this much?

THEsocalledfan
10-26-2022, 02:37 PM

Heard Dom and Jeff talk about some serious d-line misses they had in recruiting from like 2018 that are really haunting them now. I think that, and LB development/pipeline has not gone well. Cole W. coming back is good news.

With all that said, we have to all remember these d-line guys are young. You never know when they start flashing, although more likely next year. I think this team is what it is. Good enough to win a national title? Yep, considering how shitty FCS is. Will they? Doubtful but I will be there to support them and at least the games won't be boring.

El_Chapo
10-26-2022, 02:39 PM
Watson & Noah missing .. even not having Pheonix is REALLLY affecting this offense

Noah Gindorff opened up alot of options in the passing game.

Raja Nelson should be used more in the slot game Ala Ryan Smith.

Cam's not going to force passes like Lance/Wentz did so that's another hurdle.

about 200 tickets listed for sale in last day alone.. I'm worried about the Dome Advantage this weekend. Students better help us out and take over a game

KSBisonFan
10-26-2022, 03:23 PM
Watson & Noah missing .. even not having Pheonix is REALLLY affecting this offense

about 200 tickets listed for sale in last day alone.. I'm worried about the Dome Advantage this weekend. Students better help us out and take over a game

Sproles won't be missed. 3 receptions for 29 yards in 4 games.

Cam not forcing passes is a hurdle? This team already has to overcome penalties, mistakes, turnovers and a defense that can't get off the field on 3rd down so the last thing they need is Cam playing hero ball.:sigpalm::sigpalm:

Kevin
10-26-2022, 03:25 PM

u r a great football mind bro

mtoutfitter
10-26-2022, 03:28 PM

Who knew Tik Tok videos were that important to the Bison offense?

totoinfl
10-26-2022, 05:23 PM
Who knew Tik Tok videos were that important to the Bison offense?

Yup Watson was important for taking the top off defenses…always had be aware of his speed. Haven’t seen a replacement. I think Noah hurts more in the on field leadership role. I had hoped Mauch would be that guy, but he gets too many silly penalties. Who is this Sproles you speak of? Actually Cam not forcing stuff and getting picked is a benefit. We want the defense on the field as little as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
10-26-2022, 05:42 PM
Yup Watson was important for taking the top off defenses…always had be aware of his speed. Haven’t seen a replacement. I think Noah hurts more in the on field leadership role. I had hoped Mauch would be that guy, but he gets too many silly penalties. Who is this Sproles you speak of? Actually Cam not forcing stuff and getting picked is a benefit. We want the defense on the field as little as possible.

I agree, just saying PUT Lance or Wentz on this team and they would muscle a ball into a tighter spot helping offense

actually I just re-watched some Noah G tape, he did alot more for us than any of us know.

Tyler Roehl does need to find more schemes or patterns to free some guys

JMB
10-26-2022, 06:06 PM

I think the offense will be ok come playoff time. (SDSU is frankly a really good team.) As for the defense I worry that we are what we are.

El_Chapo
10-26-2022, 08:12 PM
I think the offense will be ok come playoff time. (SDSU is frankly a really good team.) As for the defense I worry that we are what we are.

Time for Braun & Goeser to Step Up. they've been blessed with Talent, Cox/Hayes/Tuskza last few years, Time to scheme better, better timed blitzes, different personell perhaps.

bruinbison
10-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Before last weekend’s game:

Vandenburgh Added To Buck Buchanan Award Watch List
6’ 3” 235 SR LB
https://goredbirds.com/news/2022/10/20/football-vandenburgh-added-to-buck-buchanan-award-watch-list.aspx

……Through six games, Vandenburgh leads Redbirds in tackles (57), sacks (7.5) and tackles-for-loss (12). The Freeport, Illinois, native currently ranks No. 2 in the FCS in sacks per game (1.25) and tackles-for-loss per game (2.0) and is in the top 25 of all tacklers in the FCS at No. 23 with 9.5 per contest. His 7.5 sacks and 12 tackles-for-loss are also tops in the highly competitive Missouri Valley Football Conference, which now features eight players on the Buchanan Watch List.

Three times this season, Vandenburgh has been named the MVFC Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts……

bruinbison
10-27-2022, 10:54 AM
For his efforts last weekend in 27-21 win over Indiana State, Jr QB Zach Annexstad honored

https://goredbirds.com/news/2022/10/23/football-annexstad-named-mvfc-newcomer-of-the-week.aspx

…… Annexstad completed 24-of-38 pass attempts for a career-best 274 yards and accounted for four touchdowns in the Redbirds' 27-21 victory over the Sycamores. The Norseland, Minnesota, native scored twice on the ground on runs of nine and three yards, respectively, and threw a pair of touchdowns passes in the win for Illinois State. His first touchdown pass of the day was a 56-yarder to Jalen Carr and his second was an 18-yarder to his older brother, Brock……

El_Chapo
10-27-2022, 05:15 PM
Gonella & Kobe Playing in this game more and running hard should help with Luepke/TK Marshall. I think our OL has heard it a bit after the SDSU game especially the 2nd quarter and they will come out with their hair on fire.

please buy the tickets for sale on facebook, all over the place at least 1000, plus about 600-700 not sold yet on gobison. com

alot going on Harvest, Hunting, HS football Playoffs, Halloween 4 H's...

KSBisonFan
10-27-2022, 05:28 PM
Gonella & Kobe Playing in this game more and running hard should help with Luepke/TK Marshall. I think our OL has heard it a bit after the SDSU game especially the 2nd quarter and they will come out with their hair on fire.

please buy the tickets for sale on facebook, all over the place at least 1000, plus about 600-700 not sold yet on gobison. com

alot going on Harvest, Hunting, HS football Playoffs, Halloween 4 H's...

I'll take more Tamerek over Kobe or Gonella.

El_Chapo
10-27-2022, 07:00 PM

Yea but he's banged up. him & TK only had 1 carry last week and bussey is mia. only 2 carries since NC at & t.

BISONBRI53
10-27-2022, 07:23 PM
Yea but he's banged up. him & TK only had 1 carry last week and bussey is mia. only 2 carries since NC at & t.

Didn't Bussey wreck his leg in that game?

G_Funky
10-27-2022, 07:25 PM

All of this - TW and HL should be getting 90% of the snaps at tailback.

BisonHorns
10-27-2022, 11:15 PM
I watched ISU-Red just rip ISU-Blue's defense apart - TDs on their first three drives. And their defense held ISU-Blue to under 30 total yards for their first 4 possessions.

It was so disgusting that I turned to a different game and then, surprisingly, ISU-Blue came all the way back and had a chance to win the game in the closing seconds.

Illinois State obviously looked really good for the bit of the game I watched - their DL looked like a tough matchup for NDSU (again), that's for sure.

The game you described was actually the Bison and the Rabbits.

CAS4127
10-28-2022, 01:35 AM
The game you described was actually the Bison and the Rabbits.

I’m looking for a sustained, disciplined and methodical performance on both sides of the ball, for the entire game (absent a blowout and garbage time—but even then to an extent). IMO, that’s what we need to set the tone for the balance of the season and playoffs. It’s time for that type of performance. Get it done the right/NDSU football way.

That’s what I’m looking for … although it’s difficult to see under my hat …

cbline
10-28-2022, 10:48 AM
I’m looking for a sustained, disciplined and methodical performance on both sides of the ball, for the entire game (absent a blowout and garbage time—but even then to an extent). IMO, that’s what we need to set the tone for the balance of the season and playoffs. It’s time for that type of performance. Get it done the right/NDSU football way.

In the famous lyrics by U2, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

El_Chapo
10-28-2022, 02:13 PM
GameDay 24 hours away. NDSU better be AGGRESSIVE tomorrow. thats all i have to say.

totoinfl
10-28-2022, 05:32 PM
In the famous lyrics by U2, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

Or perhaps in the words of BTO….you ain’t seen nothing yet. Hopefully

cbline
10-28-2022, 06:05 PM
Or perhaps in the words of BTO….you ain’t seen nothing yet. Hopefully

Or, perhaps BTO's "Takin' Care of Business"

CAS4127
10-29-2022, 11:56 PM

That’s what I’m looking for …

Kinda got what I was hoping/looking for. Missed a couple of TD opportunities tho, and didn’t keep contain as well as I had hoped on D, but all in all a better, more clean and disciplined approach on both side of the ball.

56BISON73
10-30-2022, 12:40 AM

:nod::nod::nod::nod: