PDA

View Full Version : McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

HerdBot
08-03-2022, 06:06 AM
https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-time-for-ndsu-to-jump-into-nil-pool

Good article and I think this deserves it's own thread.

My thoughts on NIL. It is one of the most pivotal times in our programs history. I would liken it to the 1990s when D2 cut scholarships and we decided to stay instead of move up. The quality of football dropped throughout D2.

There are some schools that have businesses that are doing some interesting things. BYU found a creative way to get every player, including Walk Ons, $6,000. I did a Google search "How much is tuition at BYU?" $5,970 USD. So basically they already have their 85 full rides who get an extra 6 grand and they can now offer all walk ons essentially as a full ride. Even players above the 105 roster limit who are on the practice squad.

If we don't figure out how to do this, every mid major team could be seriously fucked. If a Power 5 team has 22 more scholarships to begin with, they will just offer all walk ons a stipend to cover tuition. That's 105 players or 20 more scholarships per team. Then they offer the same for a practice squad. Before you know it, the talent pool is gone.

Of course if we can pull it off, at the very least it makes our full rides more competitive because they would get that on top of a full ride and the stipend.

We're not going to find a donor to pay for 548 student athletes at 10-12 grand a year. That would cost 1.2 million annually. But if we can get 10 donors or businesses to do 125k a year, that's doable. Even half and its massive. That would make every walk on able to pay half their tuition and every half scholarship a full ride. It would be a stepping stone to moving up. But if we don't do it, other teams will, even in the FCS

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/10/27/22749174/how-byu-is-helping-its-student-athletes-to-make-money-using-their-names-and-images-nil

AKBison
08-03-2022, 12:54 PM
I know we don't have P5 money but....Texas Tech's solution to this was awesome. Their NIL collective is paying every athlete $25,000 in exchange for community service hours. I also like Mike Leach's approach to this where he wants athletes to opt into one of two systems upon enrollment. One is akin to free agency where all the money is up front and it's the wild west but nothing is guaranteed and your roster spot can be axed for any reason. The second option guarantees your scholarship money and it can't be taken away regardless of performance or injury. Upon graduation you receive $150,000 from the university for services rendered.

Hammerhead
08-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Since deals like the NIL collective at Texas Tech are not run by the school, are they exempt from Title IX restrictions? It looks like the TTU thing only pays football players which might make something similar easier to do for mid-major schools that only have 1-2 big revenue sports that most fans care about.

AKBison
08-03-2022, 01:35 PM
Since deals like the NIL collective at Texas Tech are not run by the school, are they exempt from Title IX restrictions? It looks like the TTU thing only pays football players which might make something similar easier to do for mid-major schools that only have 1-2 big revenue sports that most fans care about.

I think Texas Tech's is for women's basketball and football right now. I have no idea how Title IX plays into this but one would think it will somehow in the future.

bisonaudit
08-03-2022, 01:46 PM
I think Texas Tech's is for women's basketball and football right now. I have no idea how Title IX plays into this but one would think it will somehow in the future.

It seems like the obvious solution to that little conundrum is to stop pretending that what you’re doing is educating students, then all you have to do is pay them what they’re worth.

MankatoBison
08-03-2022, 02:37 PM
I know we don't have P5 money but....Texas Tech's solution to this was awesome. Their NIL collective is paying every athlete $25,000 in exchange for community service hours. I also like Mike Leach's approach to this where he wants athletes to opt into one of two systems upon enrollment. One is akin to free agency where all the money is up front and it's the wild west but nothing is guaranteed and your roster spot can be axed for any reason. The second option guarantees your scholarship money and it can't be taken away regardless of performance or injury. Upon graduation you receive $150,000 from the university for services rendered.

Absolutely, I love this. I saw wisconsin is doing something about paying students upon graduation. I love the idea of paying for community service too.

NDSU found the $$ to pay Full cost of attendance about 20 seconds after it was invented, and I think if it came down to finding $5,000 per football player for community service, I think the money would flow in from every corner of the state. Just need a place to send the check honestly. Idk how NIL collectives are formed, but could TeamMakers be the entity to do this? I would imagine so? but again, someone with more knowledge on this should educate us please

MankatoBison
08-03-2022, 02:41 PM
It seems like the obvious solution to that little conundrum is to stop pretending that what you’re doing is educating students, then all you have to do is pay them what they’re worth.

well... theres THAT....

I do agree with you but it will be tough to get every school to agree to remove the educational aspect of the college football structure. Youre right, dont get me wrong, but I just dont see it every actually Happening is all

JMB
08-03-2022, 03:30 PM

Does collecting signatures for ballot initiatives count as community service?

AKBison
08-03-2022, 03:52 PM

Well if that's the way it goes then I'll cease to be a fan. I'm all for finding a way to remove the full financial burden of a DI student athlete because it is a 365 days a year commitment now that leaves little time for anything else. I'm all for lifetime tuition reimbursement so that every student athlete that uses up their eligibility has every opportunity to graduate. I'm all for some sort of an endowment that would give student athletes who sacrifice their bodies so the NCAA and ESPN can make Billions off them a payment upon graduating. If we have a Wentz, Trey, Christian type athlete that can make some extra scratch for appearing in TV ads then great. However being part of a pay to play scheme where we bid for athletes against other schools is not something I will support.

taper
08-03-2022, 03:56 PM

The 1999 NCAA v Smith SCOTUS case ruled the NCAA is not bound by Title IX because it does not directly receive federal funds. I'm sure someone will sue but there's your starting point, even if it's not exactly the same conditions.

Herd
08-03-2022, 04:05 PM
Well if that's the way it goes then I'll cease to be a fan. I'm all for finding a way to remove the full financial burden of a DI student athlete because it is a 365 days a year commitment now that leaves little time for anything else. If we have a Wentz, Trey, Christian type athlete that can make some extra scratch for appearing in TV ads then great. Being part of a pay to play scheme where we bid for athletes is not something I will support.

This seems pretty rich coming from McF. He’d be on the other side of the issue criticizing NDSU if they were trying to do too much too quickly.

Most of his FBS and NIL drama in paragraph is more about, “look how smart I am” from McF. He acts like he’s on the leading edge of these issues, but really he’s a late adapter. He talks about FBS stuff like it’s his idea, while he is way behind the curve. I usually feel dumber reading his stuff, and this is no exception.

NDSU will do what it needs to do when the timing is right. As for raising money to basically give out another stipend to everyone? That seems like a losing proposition. It’s supposed to be about players exploring their marketability. The most marketable athlete on campus is probably Grant Nelson or Cam Miller, was previously Christian Watson.

HerdBot
08-03-2022, 04:19 PM
This seems pretty rich coming from McF. He’d be on the other side of the issue criticizing NDSU if they were trying to do too much too quickly.

Most of his FBS and NIL drama in paragraph is more about, “look how smart I am” from McF. He acts like he’s on the leading edge of these issues, but really he’s a late adapter. He talks about FBS stuff like it’s his idea, while he is way behind the curve. I usually feel dumber reading his stuff, and this is no exception.

NDSU will do what it needs to do when the timing is right. As for raising money to basically give out another stipend to everyone? That seems like a losing proposition. It’s supposed to be about players exploring their marketability. The most marketable athlete on campus is probably Grant Nelson or Cam Miller, was previously Christian Watson.

Not really. Coach Entz when asked said he lost a few players because of it. That's the story

I don't think its a huge deal this year, but next year it will be. Also its going to make players more likely to enter the transfer portal in the future. I'm glad this is bejng discused NOW so we aren't left behind.

Its going to take a group similar to Teammakers to make it work.

kab1one
08-03-2022, 04:52 PM
Isn't the NIL money coming from the same "pool" of money that teammakers, NDSU is trying to capture? Its not like NIL opens up a list of donors that all of a sudden want to contribute in my opinion. In QB that is getting the NIL from the local mattress company for example. Is that new money into the program or just a reallocation of what the business was already doing, but they get a more direct benefit. NDSU athlete and athletics is sponsored as part of their advertising. Versus being a team maker and just one of many businesses on the Team Maker list.

THEsocalledfan
08-03-2022, 05:09 PM

I think its also time to stop pretending that every D1 athlete squanders their chance for a free education.

ByeSonBusiness
08-03-2022, 05:24 PM
Isn't the NIL money coming from the same "pool" of money that teammakers, NDSU is trying to capture? Its not like NIL opens up a list of donors that all of a sudden want to contribute in my opinion. In QB that is getting the NIL from the local mattress company for example. Is that new money into the program or just a reallocation of what the business was already doing, but they get a more direct benefit. NDSU athlete and athletics is sponsored as part of their advertising. Versus being a team maker and just one of many businesses on the Team Maker list.

Yeah I'm with you. I'm also curious how much "new" money NDSU is really capable of bringing in for the purpose of cutting kids a check.

NDSU92
08-03-2022, 05:47 PM
Yeah I'm with you. I'm also curious how much "new" money NDSU is really capable of bringing in for the purpose of cutting kids a check.

Probably only at the expense of whoever companies are currently paying for generic voiceovers. If I was the Don's Car Wash kid's agent I'd be shaking in my boots.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-03-2022, 07:41 PM
https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-time-for-ndsu-to-jump-into-nil-pool

My thoughts on NIL. It is one of the most pivotal times in our programs history. I would liken it to the 1990s when D2 cut scholarships and we decided to stay instead of move up. The quality of football dropped throughout D2.

There are some schools that have businesses that are doing some interesting things. BYU found a creative way to get every player, including Walk Ons, $6,000. I did a Google search "How much is tuition at BYU?" $5,970 USD. So basically they already have their 85 full rides who get an extra 6 grand and they can now offer all walk ons essentially as a full ride. Even players above the 105 roster limit who are on the practice squad.

If we don't figure out how to do this, every mid major team could be seriously fucked. If a Power 5 team has 22 more scholarships to begin with, they will just offer all walk ons a stipend to cover tuition. That's 105 players or 20 more scholarships per team. Then they offer the same for a practice squad. Before you know it, the talent pool is gone.

Of course if we can pull it off, at the very least it makes our full rides more competitive because they would get that on top of a full ride and the stipend.

We're not going to find a donor to pay for 548 student athletes at 10-12 grand a year. That would cost 1.2 million annually. But if we can get 10 donors or businesses to do 125k a year, that's doable. Even half and its massive. That would make every walk on able to pay half their tuition and every half scholarship a full ride. It would be a stepping stone to moving up. But if we don't do it, other teams will, even in the FCS

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/10/27/22749174/how-byu-is-helping-its-student-athletes-to-make-money-using-their-names-and-images-nil
What team do we need to compete against in the FCS for NIL? Are we going to have our donors dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into NIL just to compete against the FBS for recruits when the rest of the FCS isn’t. Seems like a waste of money unless we are competing in the FBS. We already are winning in the recruiting battles against the FCS.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-03-2022, 07:43 PM

NDSU won’t be cutting any checks. They will not be involved in any of the money exchanges. Groups independent of the university will have to form to pay NIL dollars. Not sure if Teammakers is far enough removed from NDSU to serve in this roll.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-03-2022, 07:47 PM

Title IX does not apply to NIL because NIL deals do not fall under the university and are completely separate from Title IX jurisdiction.

56BISON73
08-03-2022, 07:48 PM

So we can count you in for 125k ?

HerdBot
08-03-2022, 07:56 PM
What team do we need to compete against in the FCS for NIL? Are we going to have our donors dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into NIL just to compete against the FBS for recruits when the rest of the FCS isn’t. Seems like a waste of money unless we are competing in the FBS. We already are winning in the recruiting battles against the FCS.

We probably get 3-5 players a year going head to head with MAC schools and other G5s. Many of them will do this next year to have an adventage. Also the pool of players will shrink if Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota can essentially take smaller schools scholarship players and offer enough cash to cover tuition. However our package will be better if the full rides get a scholarship plus cash.

3-5 players doesn't sound like much but its 12-20 on a roster with 63 scholarships. That can be as high as 1/3 of a roster

WhoRepsTheLurker
08-03-2022, 07:58 PM

This is a good point, but I think many of us are operating under the assumption that the jump is all but inevitable at this point for NDSU. It's just a question of when and where ...

Cue the local socks and their vociferous objections ... I apologize in advance for offending you with my brazen opinions

BISONBRI53
08-03-2022, 09:01 PM
So we can count you in for 125k ?

It's doable. :D

HerdBot
08-03-2022, 09:43 PM
This is a good point, but I think many of us are operating under the assumption that the jump is all but inevitable at this point for NDSU. It's just a question of when and where ...

Cue the local socks and their vociferous objections ... I apologize in advance for offending you with my brazen opinions

Whether or not we move up or stay where we are, we're going to see less quality players if we don't do this. We need to operate like a G5 program. If we move up and Wyoming or Northern Illinois offers 10 grand in straight cash homey, we're going to lose those recruiting battles. Doesn't matter if we stay where we are or move up. And whose to say Youngstown, UNI, SDSU or other top FCS school don't offer something before we do. That's a dangerous assumption.

If we sit on our asses and do nothing, we will decline in talent, just like we did in the 90's when D2 cut the maximum number of scholarships. I think it went from 52 to 48 to 36. Now it's in the 20's. You have 16 less scholarships and that's a huge deal. That's 11 men on offense and 5 on defense replaced with walk ons or partials.

Instead of competing for players vs MAC schools, we'll start filling our roster with NSIC top players. We will be less talented. D2 will be way less talented. Division 3 and NAIA will be glorified high school teams.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-03-2022, 10:26 PM
Whether or not we move up or stay where we are, we're going to see less quality players if we don't do this. We need to operate like a G5 program. If we move up and Wyoming or Northern Illinois offers 10 grand in straight cash homey, we're going to lose those recruiting battles. Doesn't matter if we stay where we are or move up. And whose to say Youngstown, UNI, SDSU or other top FCS school don't offer something before we do. That's a dangerous assumption.

If we sit on our asses and do nothing, we will decline in talent, just like we did in the 90's when D2 cut the maximum number of scholarships. I think it went from 52 to 48 to 36. Now it's in the 20's. You have 16 less scholarships and that's a huge deal. That's 11 men on offense and 5 on defense replaced with walk ons or partials.

Instead of competing for players vs MAC schools, we'll start filling our roster with NSIC top players. We will be less talented. D2 will be way less talented. Division 3 and NAIA will be glorified high school teams.
Why can’t we wait until we move to FBS to offer NIL money? What donor is going to drop some real coin on NIL just when we are still in the FCS? If other FCS teams start it then it is a no Brainer but what if we are the only team? We have to wait to get more scholarships so why can’t we wait to offer NIL? We will lose recruits to NIL FBS schools , but can we really afford to compete with those offers as just a FCS team? Heck 20k+ to every coach could improve the quality of the coaching pool, but we are not spending extra money on them!

56BISON73
08-03-2022, 10:28 PM
Why can’t we wait until we move to FBS to offer NIL money? What donor is going to drop some real coin on NIL just when we are still in the FCS? If other FCS teams start it then it is a no Brainer but what if we are the only team? We have to wait to get more scholarships so why can’t we wait to offer NIL? We will lose recruits to NIL FBS schools , but can we really afford to compete with those offers as just a FCS team? Heck 20k+ to every coach could improve the quality of the coaching pool, but we are not spending extra money on them!

Jackson State

bisonaudit
08-03-2022, 10:39 PM
It doesn’t look to me like we’re waiting on NIL. Guys selling mattresses and whatnot.

HerdBot
08-03-2022, 10:44 PM

Jackson State

PL is right on Jackson State. Other FCS schools will do it too. Montana State added the FCOA stipend last year so I would be shocked if they don't do this.

If we wait to do the NIL pool until we move up, the quality of football will decline or plateau. Why would people want to see our program take a step backwards when we are trying to improve? I've already read this story when we were D2 in the 90's.

taper
08-04-2022, 02:04 AM

Spending other people's money is easy. Complaining that other people aren't giving enough money is easy. Wondering why people aren't giving enough money is even easier. NDSU football is already at the top and we're clearly at the point of diminishing returns. Dollars need to go to other things like enrollment and basketball if you want to go to the next level.

HerdBot
08-04-2022, 03:09 AM
Spending other people's money is easy. Complaining that other people aren't giving enough money is easy. Wondering why people aren't giving enough money is even easier. NDSU football is already at the top and we're clearly at the point of diminishing returns. Dollars need to go to other things like enrollment and basketball if you want to go to the next level.

Enrollment is huge but it has nothing to do with our athletic budget. Thats a whole nother discussion

Basketball needs to draw better. How do we attract better players? Having a huge NIL deal to attract better players is a start. Its much easier to change a program in Basketball since you only need 5 players.

We're at the top of the FCS and we need to stay there. It pays the bills. It's national advertising for our school. Plus we make the whole division better by pushing the envelope

I don't even look at it as donations. It's advertising dollars. Last time I checked, most businesses dont advertise right now.

Reality is fans aren't passionate about Basketball. It took us a decade to build the SHAC.

How passionate are fans about football? We raised 50 million for a friggin practice field in less than 3 years during a global pandemic. We started the campaign after winning 7 national championships. Donors obviously didn't see it as diminishing returns. Success breeds success.

reformedUNDfan
08-04-2022, 09:05 AM
Herd is right here. Lead or be led.

Having advanced NIL will look good to the AAC or MWC

THEsocalledfan
08-04-2022, 01:45 PM
If we want to continue to be a top tier program, and get the invite to FBS or whatever happens after the P3 or whatever break off, this is the new reality.

I just hope all those who ripped the NCAA to shreds for preserving amateurism get behind this. A blind donkey could have seen this stuff coming.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-04-2022, 04:27 PM
Herd is right here. Lead or be led.

Having advanced NIL will look good to the AAC or MWC
Why stop at competing with the G5 level NIL when we really want the P5 level talent. If we want those guys we need to have P5 level NIL, money is going to drive these kids more than a chance to win titles or attend QBU

HerdBot
08-04-2022, 06:19 PM
Why stop at competing with the G5 level NIL when we really want the P5 level talent. If we want those guys we need to have P5 level NIL, money is going to drive these kids more than a chance to win titles or attend QBU

I agree. Especially at the QB position

IndyBison
08-04-2022, 06:20 PM
It seems like the obvious solution to that little conundrum is to stop pretending that what you’re doing is educating students, then all you have to do is pay them what they’re worth.98% of the student athletes are students first. There are 90 championships in NCAA across all divisions and the percentage of those athletes receiving NIL are very small. Top P5 football and men's basketball programs and maybe a couple others are in the context of this conversation. If you trove the educational aspect of the student athletes you become a professional minor league that has no reason to be associated with a university. That actually where I see this going on the current trend. Alabama and Notre Dame still have football programs but in the same sense they have baseball and soccer programs. Some support beyond friends and family but not the huge support you have today. You'll go to minor league games to watch many of the top players you watch today. An NDSU competes with them similar to baseball and track. We are definitely closer but fewer people will care.

Careful what you ask for. You may just get it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bisonaudit
08-04-2022, 06:30 PM
98% of the student athletes are students first. There are 90 championships in NCAA across all divisions and the percentage of those athletes receiving NIL are very small. Top P5 football and men's basketball programs and maybe a couple others are in the context of this conversation. If you trove the educational aspect of the student athletes you become a professional minor league that has no reason to be associated with a university. That actually where I see this going on the current trend. Alabama and Notre Dame still have football programs but in the same sense they have baseball and soccer programs. Some support beyond friends and family but not the huge support you have today. You'll go to minor league games to watch many of the top players you watch today. An NDSU competes with them similar to baseball and track. We are definitely closer but fewer people will care.

Careful what you ask for. You may just get it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I didn’t mean to suggest such a thing would apply to every sport really just the “revenue” sports. If you stop pretending that top flight college football is anything other than a developmental league for the NFL a lot of title IX “problems” solve themselves.

Gully
08-06-2022, 04:06 PM
I didn’t mean to suggest such a thing would apply to every sport really just the “revenue” sports. If you stop pretending that to flight college football is anything other than a developmental league for the NFL a lot of title IX “problems” solve themselves.

but don't the "revenue" sports pay for all the rest of it? also, if FB goes away, so will a lot of female scholarships because they'll no longer be required for title IX.

Professor Chaos
08-06-2022, 04:21 PM
I'd assume it's only a matter of time before NDSU has a "foundation" similar to Ohio State: https://www.thefoundationohio.com/

If you’re passionate about Ohio State Athletics, and you have the means, we ask that you kindly donate to The Foundation. Your donations will directly benefit Ohio State Student-Athletes while raising awareness for one of our approved charities. You will receive a receipt after your donation that can be saved for tax write-off purposes. Donating to The Foundation is a win-win.

It'll be interesting to see the hoops some of these foundations jump through in order to main 501(c)3 charitable status. It'll also be interesting to see who, other than the student-athletes, gets fatter pocketbooks off of these types of things.

bisonaudit
08-06-2022, 04:28 PM
I'd assume it's only a matter of time before NDSU has a "foundation" similar to Ohio State: https://www.thefoundationohio.com/

It'll be interesting to see the hoops some of these foundations jump through in order to main 501(c)3 charitable status. It'll also be interesting to see who, other than the student-athletes, gets fatter pocketbooks off of these types of things.

That’s how shamaturism works. Everyone else gets paid first and the people who actually do the thing that we pay to see get the scraps.

taper
08-06-2022, 05:53 PM
but don't the "revenue" sports pay for all the rest of it? also, if FB goes away, so will a lot of female scholarships because they'll no longer be required for title IX.

Title IX doesn't go away if FB players get paid. It applies to pretty much everything associated with educational institutions that receive federal funds. It is not aimed specifically at athletics, even if that's what the general public sees the most. Not saying the big dogs might not try to "spin off" FB and MBB but that'll almost certainly go to court, and who knows what'll happen then. While I'm not making any predictions on the result, I expect someone will sue over men's sports receiving far more NIL than women's.

Gully
08-06-2022, 06:01 PM
Title IX doesn't go away if FB players get paid. It applies to pretty much everything associated with educational institutions that receive federal funds. It is not aimed specifically at athletics, even if that's what the general public sees the most. Not saying the big dogs might not try to "spin off" FB and MBB but that'll almost certainly go to court, and who knows what'll happen then. While I'm not making any predictions on the result, I expect someone will sue over men's sports receiving far more NIL than women's.

You misunderstood what I was saying about Title IX. What I mean is if fb is no longer associated with universities and somehow becomes minor-league fb or something (I think that's what others were suggesting could happen) then there are no more scholarships for fb and fewer female scholarships would be required to maintain "equity".

And NIL doesn't come from the schools right? It's a relationship between the business and the athlete. I don't think someone can mandate that Scheels' (made up example) has to pay a female bb player $5,000 because they gave the same deal to Grant Nelson (again, just a made up example). I don't see how title IX could apply.

Gully
08-06-2022, 06:03 PM
and if they're not student athletes anymore (I'm told it's shamateurism), then why does title IX apply at all, if it no longer has anything to do with education?

I'm not predicting anything...I have no idea where this ends. I just think there are a lot of inconsistencies in the thinking being applied by everyone and as has been pointed out, there can be unintended consequences.

bisonaudit
08-06-2022, 06:29 PM

Right, women’s basketball has more scholarships than men’s, track and field as well, basically every sport where there are both a mens and a womens team there are more scholarships for the women because of football. Take football out of the athletic department and that equity/reverse equity “problem” is solved.

Of course you don’t have to solve it by taking anything away from the women if you don’t want to. The NCAA could instead provide more opportunity for men in those sports. If it were really about education maybe that’s what they’d do.

taper
08-06-2022, 06:43 PM
You misunderstood what I was saying about Title IX. What I mean is if fb is no longer associated with universities and somehow becomes minor-league fb or something (I think that's what others were suggesting could happen) then there are no more scholarships for fb and fewer female scholarships would be required to maintain "equity".

And NIL doesn't come from the schools right? It's a relationship between the business and the athlete. I don't think someone can mandate that Scheels' (made up example) has to pay a female bb player $5,000 because they gave the same deal to Grant Nelson (again, just a made up example). I don't see how title IX could apply.

We've already tried non-college paid FB. XFL and Arena Football didn't go well. They can try to argue in the courts that players enrolled at the school, using school training facilities, playing on school owned fields, and the program managed by the school is legally separate because their finances say so, but I don't think they'll get far. I haven't seen anything saying the big boys are looking to abandon their brand.
As for NIL and Title IX, I expect the courts to decide. Could go either way.

bisonaudit
08-06-2022, 06:53 PM
We've already tried non-college paid FB. XFL and Arena Football didn't go well. They can try to argue in the courts that players enrolled at the school, using school training facilities, playing on school owned fields, and the program managed by the school is legally separate because their finances say so, but I don't think they'll get far. I haven't seen anything saying the big boys are looking to abandon their brand.
As for NIL and Title IX, I expect the courts to decide. Could go either way.

Its just an interim solution one way or the other. Sooner rather than later we will stop pretending that we’re not paying these athletes to entertain us.

bstark28
08-08-2022, 02:42 PM
Saw on the Twitter-machine over the weekend, re: the NIL deal Cameron Ward received, when he transferred from Incarnate Word to Washington State...$90k package which included a free apartment, free lease on a pickup, and $50k in cash in exchange for "promotional appearances." President of the Cougar Collective (which runs the NIL at WSU) said, "It looks like a steal compared to what some of these other QB's are getting." So...when Kienholz committed to the University of Washington, you have to wonder what kind of $$$ they threw his way to get him to sign? I'm not saying he wouldn't have ended up there anyway, but I can all but assume it was a figure that NDSU wouldn't have a sniff at matching.

bisonaudit
08-08-2022, 02:48 PM
Saw on the Twitter-machine over the weekend, re: the NIL deal Cameron Ward received, when he transferred from Incarnate Word to Washington State...$90k package which included a free apartment, free lease on a pickup, and $50k in cash in exchange for "promotional appearances." President of the Cougar Collective (which runs the NIL at WSU) said, "It looks like a steal compared to what some of these other QB's are getting." So...when Kienholz committed to the University of Washington, you have to wonder what kind of $$$ they threw his way to get him to sign? I'm not saying he wouldn't have ended up there anyway, but I can all but assume it was a figure that NDSU wouldn't have a sniff at matching.

Sounds like maybe the kid should have held out for more of the guy on the other side of the table is willing to publicly admit that he thinks it was such a great deal.

Hammerhead
08-08-2022, 02:48 PM
With today's social media, players pulling in $100K that don't perform had better be prepared for nasty comments.

Bisonator98
08-08-2022, 03:39 PM

That's the only part I'm not sure how this would work. Otherwise it's just like Teammakers. Are the schools foundations distributing the NIL deals directly to the athlete's or thru the school? I don't understand how it's working.

The_Sicatoka
08-08-2022, 03:53 PM
That's the only part I'm not sure how this would work. Otherwise it's just like Teammakers. Are the schools foundations distributing the NIL deals directly to the athlete's or thru the school? I don't understand how it's working.

Tutorial: https://www.on3.com/nil/news/what-are-nil-collectives-and-how-do-they-operate/

TAILG8R
08-08-2022, 03:54 PM

It has to go directly to the players. Some schools have hired positions and created learning programs to help the players understand the rules, etc.

HerdBot
08-08-2022, 04:48 PM
I think the players could pool together and do something cool on social media for advertising.

Example lets say 50 players pool together and agree to promote something on social media. The business pays x amount and as a return, all the players have to post it to instagram, facebook, twitter, tik tok, etc and split the cost... Lets say the business spends 5 grand on an advertising campaign and 50 players participate. That's $100 per player. Not much but if you do it 25-50 times that's 2500 to 5 grand. And there is value to an advertiser because 50 players have quite the social media reach

Of course the bigger named players are less likely to do it. Cam Miller, Hunter Luepke, Phoenix Sproles and Tamarick Williams are going to command more money than your backup punter, so they may not participate.

I don't mind stuff like this because they players are offering a service

The Gophers are doing something where fans can join for $200 and get exclusive access. Not sure what 'exclusive access means" but it could be autographs or meet and greets.

Professor Chaos
08-08-2022, 05:08 PM
In Ohio State's case they're trying to argue they deserve 501(c)3 status because they're using donated money to "promote and expand awareness for charities". Stole this from @MattBrownEP's twitter (great follow btw if you're interested in the business side of college athletics and realignment):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZfTxSWWAAUFOHv?format=jpg&name=small

BISONBRI53
08-08-2022, 05:32 PM
I think the players could pool together and do something cool on social media for advertising.

Example lets say 50 players pool together and agree to promote something on social media. The business pays x amount and as a return, all the players have to post it to instagram, facebook, twitter, tik tok, etc and split the cost... Lets say the business spends 5 grand on an advertising campaign and 50 players participate. That's $100 per player. Not much but if you do it 25-50 times that's 2500 to 5 grand. And there is value to an advertiser because 50 players have quite the social media reach

Of course the bigger named players are less likely to do it. Cam Miller, Hunter Luepke, Phoenix Sproles and Tamarick Williams are going to command more money than your backup punter, so they may not participate.

I don't mind stuff like this because they players are offering a service

The Gophers are doing something where fans can join for $200 and get exclusive access. Not sure what 'exclusive access means" but it could be autographs or meet and greets.

You get to row the boat! DUH!!!

56BISON73
08-08-2022, 05:48 PM
With today's social media, players pulling in $100K that don't perform had better be prepared for nasty comments.

They will cry all the way to the bank.

ByeSonBusiness
08-08-2022, 06:05 PM
They will cry all the way to the bank.

Pretty sure I've said some pretty mean things about kids who aren't getting paid too lol

MankatoBison
08-08-2022, 07:59 PM
Pretty sure I've said some pretty mean things about kids who aren't getting paid too lol

I remember posting a thread in 2012 or 13 wondering at what point should the BIson consider switching punt returners temporarily after Christian Dudzik had 4-5 muff punts in 2 weeks. the doods a 1st ballot Bison HOFer and You would have thought I had personally called for the murder of him and his dog for asking such an unspeakable question

Hammerhead
08-08-2022, 08:13 PM
You get to row the boat! DUH!!!

Or they get "exclusive access" to the laundry room when it's time to wash the uniforms.

southcliffbison
08-08-2022, 10:19 PM
Or they get "exclusive access" to the laundry room when it's time to wash the uniforms.

Or good seats to premium games..........Hmmmm?

fmfantasy
08-09-2022, 12:51 AM
All it would take is some aging multi millionaire wanting to see his FCS school win a title and spend like 2 million dollars... You dont think our 10 best players would all bolt to Illinois State for 200k each their senior year?

blackdiamond2
08-09-2022, 04:33 AM
SMU announced they will be playing 36K this year to each player for football and basketball NIL.

Most star players that we develop will probably be transferring before senior year as the money will get way to big in future years. Stinks for us fans, but it will be way worse at other FCS schools.

HerdBot
08-09-2022, 06:26 AM
SMU announced they will be playing 36K this year to each player for football and basketball NIL.

Most star players that we develop will probably be transferring before senior year as the money will get way to big in future years. Stinks for us fans, but it will be way worse at other FCS schools.

That's fucked but if we want to sit back and do nothing...

taper
08-09-2022, 10:04 AM
That's fucked but if we want to sit back and do nothing...

Do you have an extra $3-4M a year burning a hole in your pocket? Not sure what you expect us to do.

Professor Chaos
08-09-2022, 11:34 AM
It's already been happening (the NIL offers at least - guessing it may have played a role in Jasir Cox leaving):

https://twitter.com/jkava8/status/1522227512083890179

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-09-2022, 03:50 PM
Do you have an extra $3-4M a year burning a hole in your pocket? Not sure what you expect us to do.

Chapo is starting the collective, he already has Tharaldson and Hamm lined up for a million each! Thank God for Chapo’s connections!

AKBison
08-09-2022, 05:24 PM
All it would take is some aging multi millionaire wanting to see his FCS school win a title and spend like 2 million dollars... You dont think our 10 best players would all bolt to Illinois State for 200k each their senior year?

As they should. Having $200,000 in your bank account to start your post college life with would be a game changer for most people.

NDSU92
08-09-2022, 05:38 PM
As they should. Having $200,000 in your bank account to start your post college life with would be a game changer for most people.

It would be a pretty bad gamble for a certain OT, FB, TE and DE currently on our roster... but the point is taken

I don't think many people who have $2M of throw away money like that really care all that much about FCS athletics. And if they did, they'd probably understand the importance of not screwing with all of those kids' educations.

Now, if you were to say that a Youtuber wanted to see if he could buy an FCS championship (probably more likely something basketball-related), I could see that...

bisonaudit
08-09-2022, 05:40 PM
It would be a pretty bad gamble for a certain OT, FB, TE and DE currently on our roster... but the point is taken

I don't think many people who have $2M of throw away money like that really care all that much about FCS athletics. And if they did, they'd probably understand the importance of not screwing with all of those kids' educations.

Now, if you were to say that a Youtuber wanted to see if he could buy an FCS championship (probably more likely something basketball-related), I could see that...

Explain to me how getting paid for your work screws up your education?

HerdBot
08-09-2022, 05:48 PM

We funded the FCOA stipend for all our sports with donors and build a 50 million dollar IPF with donors. We funded out locker room upgrades with donors. We just need someone to take the lead. Doesn't have to be as big as SMU but eve. 1/4 would be useful

Gotta get creative. How about payment in exchange for positive community service? That way the players have to contribute something. Like Meals on Wheels or helping with food pantry or homeless shelters? I would feel good about something like that. People non affiliated with sports might even get on board. Maybe hosting a football camp? Volunteering at the YMCA

taper
08-09-2022, 05:58 PM
We funded the FCOA stipend for all our sports with donors and build a 50 million dollar IPF with donors. We funded out locker room upgrades with donors. We just need someone to take the lead. Doesn't have to be as big as SMU but eve. 1/4 would be useful

Gotta get creative. How about payment in exchange for positive community service? That way the players have to contribute something. Like Meals on Wheels or helping with food pantry or homeless shelters? I would feel good about something like that. People non affiliated with sports might even get on board. Maybe hosting a football camp? Volunteering at the YMCA
Spending other people's money continues to be easy. There's only so much water in the well and we should think carefully on how it's used.

NDSU92
08-09-2022, 06:00 PM
Explain to me how getting paid for your work screws up your education?

Explain to me how I said getting paid screws up your education? Answer: it isn't what I said, but you love arguing so I'll take the bait.

-Changing schools to chase $200k before taxes will absolutely screw with your degree. For instance, Illy State has no ABET accredited engineering programs. If you're an engineering student you'll end up losing more money than you make long term.
-What if certain credits don't count/transfer? Now you've transferred to a school where you need to stay longer for a degree. You need to make a decision on whether you're going to forego the NFL and stick around and pay completely out of pocket for more time in school once your eligibility is up.
-Maybe you never graduate at all? I'd be interested to see what the graduation rate is for athletes who transfer vs. those who stay at the same school their entire academic career.

I would bet my last dollar that transferring doesn't help your education, and instead hurts it. Therefore screwing it up. Which is what I said.

HerdBot
08-09-2022, 06:06 PM
Spending other people's money continues to be easy. There's only so much water in the well and we should think carefully on how it's used.

There is plenty of water in the well. Besides if someone started a 501c and solicited numerous smaller donations it would be a multi person effort. But donors or advertisers get something in return.

NDSU1980
08-09-2022, 06:16 PM

Just because you're against it doesn't mean the rest are. NDSU doesn't seem to have a problem with finding the money or the support. And we aren't necessarily spending other people's money. Some of that money is our own.

The_Sicatoka
08-09-2022, 06:25 PM
Having $200,000 in your bank account to start your post college life ...

... but would they?

According to the New York Daily News, 70 percent of lottery winners end up broke within seven years.
https://www.abc15.com/news/state/curse-of-the-lottery-the-tragic-stories-of-big-jackpot-winners#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20New%20York, those%20close%20to%20them%20suffer.

Hammerhead
08-09-2022, 06:28 PM
NIL seems like a good deal for athletic departments if all of this cash is coming from private donors.

I guess the only downside is some boosters may reduce their donation to the schools booster club and contribute send that money to the collective or whatever it is. Then again, those same people may worry about something like priority points where they might lose out on the best seats or other perks. The schools still keep 100% of the money they get from media deals and tickets.

bisonaudit
08-09-2022, 06:41 PM
... but would they?

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/curse-of-the-lottery-the-tragic-stories-of-big-jackpot-

winners#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20New%20York, those%20close%20to%20them%20suffer (https://www.abc15.com/news/state/curse-of-the-lottery-the-tragic-stories-of-big-jackpot-winners#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20New%20York, those%20close%20to%20them%20suffer).

Explain to me how getting paid for you work is like winning the lottery?

HerdBot
08-09-2022, 07:15 PM
... but would they?

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/curse-of-the-lottery-the-tragic-stories-of-big-jackpot-winners#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20New%20York, those%20close%20to%20them%20suffer.

Getting paid for what amounts to essentially a mediocre full time job to go to school full time and practice football full time is hardly winning the lottery

Now if you earn Carson Wentz or Trey Lance money..
might have a point

The_Sicatoka
08-09-2022, 07:22 PM
Explain to me how getting paid for you work is like winning the lottery?

It was handed to them for winning the genetic lottery that made them great at a sport. Do they really understand and appreciate the money.

Nineteen year old kid with a six-figure bank account; forgive me, but I don't see that ending well. But I'm also probably pretty cynical right now because I just signed the papers to be the fiduciary of my sister's estate until her daughters are 35 should something happen to her.

NDSU92
08-09-2022, 07:33 PM
It was handed to them for winning the genetic lottery that made them great at a sport. Do they really understand and appreciate the money.

Nineteen year old kid with a six-figure bank account; forgive me, but I don't see that ending well. But I'm also probably pretty cynical right now because I just signed the papers to be the fiduciary of my sister's estate until her daughters are 35 should something happen to her.

People aren't going to like your comparison because it implies the athletes haven't done anything to deserve it. At the end of the day, if someone is willing to pay another person to do anything legal I don't have a problem with it. No, they aren't going to have the same appreciation for the money that you or I old folks have but that's no reason to stop someone from being paid. If they blow through all their money they're no worse off than the broke college student they already are.

I think a better point is that they won't have $200k in their bank account because the state and fed govt's are going to take about 1/3 of that.

bisonaudit
08-09-2022, 07:35 PM

Yeah, seems like decisions that families should be making for themselves rather than the shamature athletics nanny state.

Also the genetic lottery comment really diminishes the incredible amount of effort, dedication and study that is required to excel at even the FCS level of football.

bisonaudit
08-09-2022, 07:40 PM
People aren't going to like your comparison because it implies the athletes haven't done anything to deserve it. At the end of the day, if someone is willing to pay another person to do anything legal I don't have a problem with it. No, they aren't going to have the same appreciation for the money that you or I old folks have but that's no reason to stop someone from being paid. If they blow through all their money they're no worse off than the broke college student they already are.

I think a better point is that they won't have $200k in their bank account because the state and fed govt's are going to take about 1/3 of that.

smmmhhh… Earn money. Pay taxes. Welcome the the world.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-10-2022, 02:27 AM
It's already been happening (the NIL offers at least - guessing it may have played a role in Jasir Cox leaving):

https://twitter.com/jkava8/status/1522227512083890179
So who is going to pony up the big bucks to retain our top talent???? It may take some real big dollars to fend off the P5! Would we be wise to pay only a few top players more money or pay the whole team an even smaller amount?

bisonaudit
08-10-2022, 02:35 AM
So who is going to pony up the big bucks to retain our top talent???? It may take some real big dollars to fend off the P5! Would we be wise to pay only a few top players more money or pay the whole team an even smaller amount?

If they’re good enough to play at that level we’re not going to be able to keep them.

TAILG8R
08-19-2022, 06:08 PM
https://herosports.com/fcs-montana-state-football-nil-collective-bzbz/

El_Chapo
08-19-2022, 06:25 PM
BisoNation NIL. who's is..if I start it

Kabl1one will be the accountant

admin. can you edit titles? erase that dipshits name else he will claim its his idea

HerdBot
08-19-2022, 06:28 PM
BisoNation NIL. who's is..if I start it

Kabl1one will be the accountant

admin. can you edit titles? erase that dipshits name else he will claim its his idea

I would chip in with a donation. We can't let Montana State beat us to this

23Bison
08-19-2022, 06:33 PM
If NDSU does it, it'll be for all sports. Seems to be the theme and I'm all for it.

mtoutfitter
08-19-2022, 06:45 PM
If NDSU does it, it'll be for all sports. Seems to be the theme and I'm all for it.

I'll donate as well but not if Lakes is any way involved in the organization/management of the NIL fund.

TransAmBison
08-19-2022, 06:55 PM
I'll donate as well but not if Lakes is any way involved in the organization/management of the NIL fund.:rofl: :rofl: I don't think you have to worry about that.

Rock
08-19-2022, 07:15 PM
Two words:

FBSCO Cruiser Bus

Rock
08-19-2022, 07:16 PM
And now bow to your robot overload. [emoji6]

El_Chapo
08-19-2022, 08:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: I don't think you have to worry about that.

I'll start Monday. thanks TAB

56BISON73
08-20-2022, 12:25 AM
I'll donate as well but not if Lakes is any way involved in the organization/management of the NIL fund.

:nod::nod:

B.Schlossman Fan Club
08-20-2022, 04:16 AM

I don’t want to waste my money on non revenue sports. I only want to see money going to Football and basketball. The rest of the sports are subsidized enough already and are lucky colleges still fund them.

56BISON73
08-20-2022, 06:29 AM

Thats a nice thought and might work at the FCS level. But Greed is going to raise its ugly head when some star player figures out that alot of money he would be getting is going to non rev athletes. Youre also going get players who wont want to be in a collective and want to go independent. Its going to happen.

Plus NIL collectives can be sport specific. I dont see how the big donors are going to agree to take the money they want to go to get FB players and shuffle some off to
womens softball.

Rock
08-20-2022, 07:08 AM
Thats a nice thought and might work at the FCS level. But Greed is going to raise its ugly head when some star player figures out that alot of money he would be getting is going to non rev athletes. Youre also going get players who wont want to be in a collective and want to go independent. Its going to happen.

Plus NIL collectives can be sport specific. I dont see how the big donors are going to agree to take the money they want to go to get FB players and shuffle some off to
womens softball.

NDSU has never won recruiting athletes like that whenever they have tried.

When they quit bringing them in was when football really took off.

Rock
08-20-2022, 07:11 AM

Ooh ooh. Secret bison formula. Get athletes who are good. But would rather win as a team.

And work with Kramer.

As Chas rides the “Helmut” car.

Shhh. Don’t tell UN_ies.

56BISON73
08-20-2022, 07:14 AM

Ahhhhh When did NDSU get in to money battles over recruits? Some history on this would be helpful.

For clarity most of my post was in reference to FBS. Not NDSU.

But you can bet that there will be donors who will want their money going to football.

Rock
08-20-2022, 07:18 AM
Ahhhhh When did NDSU get in to money battles over recruits?

Better yet to know.

Of the athletes “worth” money?

Who battled for us?

56BISON73
08-20-2022, 07:23 AM
Better yet to know.

Of the athletes “worth” money?

Who battled for us?

No. You made the claim so be specific.

Rock
08-20-2022, 11:46 AM

Hold on. I intend to YouTube how to make a corn cob pipe and what avenged songs have female vocals before I get back to this.

Rock
08-20-2022, 11:50 AM

Robert BOB BABICH.

Thou and I danced around YEARS.

Defend that.

https://youtu.be/bFnAYq8AhPc this is the best I found

“Set me free” was the song I was looking for.

56BISON73
08-20-2022, 06:03 PM
Robert BOB BABICH.

Thou and I danced around YEARS.

Defend that.

https://youtu.be/bFnAYq8AhPc this is the best I found

“Set me free” was the song I was looking for.

So you got nothing. Not surprised.

Opie11
08-20-2022, 06:43 PM
Are PickedBess and I miss Chubs the same person? I am able to understand each of their posts equally! As in, mostly not at all!

mtoutfitter
08-20-2022, 06:45 PM
Are PickedBess and I miss Chubs the same person? I am able to understand each of their posts equally! As in, mostly not at all!

I think you're on to something.

56BISON73
08-21-2022, 02:17 AM

womens softball.

Its already starting----Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud thinks the money should be shared with the student-athletes who generate it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/19/sports/ncaafootball/big-ten-tv-deal-student-athletes.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20220820&instance_id=69837&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=23149190&segment_id=101932&user_id=41ce7ec468c848f3695d233a1e6d83ff

Rock
08-21-2022, 03:59 AM
So you got nothing. Not surprised.

Agreed

10 char

THEsocalledfan
08-21-2022, 12:47 PM
So, after the story of the collective forming for Montana St came out, talked to a well placed source. I'm hearing Montana St still does not have FCOA. Sounded like cart before horse to me.....

Bison Dan
08-21-2022, 04:35 PM
So, after the story of the collective forming for Montana St came out, talked to a well placed source. I'm hearing Montana St still does not have FCOA. Sounded like cart before horse to me.....

Pretty sure it's a conference rule not allowing FCOA.

WhoRepsTheLurker
08-22-2022, 02:26 PM
Entz is taking the safe road (he called it conservative). Not at all clear what the future of the NIL collectives really is, but this doesn’t bode well for any type of oversight coming from the NCAA

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/34420323/ncaa-asks-member-schools-help-nil-violation-investigations

MankatoBison
08-22-2022, 02:27 PM

womens softball.

I agree with this as well, HOWEVER, Team Makers isnt automatically sport specific either and we all still support it, right? If someone comes in and donates a full scholarship straight to softball (or whatever) football theoretically gets a portion of that unused scholarship $$$ the school WAS going to give that softball player.

But I still agree, Start with football, then add other teams if there is enough interest. But I still think NDSU is uniquely positioned to support all the athletes when compared to other schools. The community support of NDSU athletics is absolutely Bonkers, even if you dont include football.

Hammerhead
08-22-2022, 02:33 PM
Pretty sure it's a conference rule not allowing FCOA.

Did that change because UND was in the Big Sky when announced they were giving FCOA shortly after NDSU did. https://skylinesportsmt.com/und-becomes-first-big-sky-school-to-offer-fcoa/

Bison Dan
08-22-2022, 03:36 PM
Did that change because UND was in the Big Sky when announced they were giving FCOA shortly after NDSU did. https://skylinesportsmt.com/und-becomes-first-big-sky-school-to-offer-fcoa/

I still don't think any BSC team offers FCOA. Not a problem for und, they just dip into the general fund if they need money.

AKBison
08-22-2022, 06:40 PM
I still don't think any BSC team offers FCOA. Not a problem for und, they just dip into the general fund if they need money.

Letter from Wichita State's new AD explains NIL and how it will work at Wichita State. Lots of good info in there that can be applied at NDSU. Does anyone know if we offer athletes Alston Academic Funds?

https://goshockers.com/news/2022/8/22/athletics-letter-from-the-ad-nil-at-wichita-state.aspx