PDA

View Full Version : 2022-2023 season

BisonVifte
07-21-2022, 07:19 PM
Bison host the Gophers in November

roadwarrior
07-21-2022, 08:01 PM
The women's team will be travelling to Greece for 2 games next month. Adds an additional 10 days of allowed practice. With all the new players, this will be a good thing.

roadwarrior
07-21-2022, 08:12 PM
Roster has been posted:

#2 - Abbie Draper - 6'2" SO - Transfer from Bradley
#3 - Leah Mackenzie - 5'8" FR
#4 - Georgia Baldwin - 6'0" JR - Transfer from E Kentucky
#5 - Marwa Bedziri - 6'3" FR
#10 - Abby Graham - 5'10" FR
#11 - Heaven Hamling - 5'8" SR
#13 - Rachel Novak - 5'9" JR
#14 - Taylor Brown - 6'1" SR - Transfer from American U
#15 - Kristina Ekofo Yomane 6'2" JR - Transfer from NE OK A&M
#20 - Emily Behnke - 6'2" JR
#21 - Elle Evans - 6'3" FR
#24 - Abby Schulte - 5'10" JR
#32 - Sophie Olson - 5'11" SO
#33 - Katie Hildebrandt - 6'2" SO

Bolded are returning players from last season.

NoDakSt
07-23-2022, 03:46 AM
Roster has been posted:

#2 - Abbie Draper - 6'2" SO - Transfer from Bradley
#3 - Leah Mackenzie - 5'8" FR
#4 - Georgia Baldwin - 6'0" JR - Transfer from E Kentucky
#5 - Marwa Bedziri - 6'3" FR
#10 - Abby Graham - 5'10" FR
#11 - Heaven Hamling - 5'8" SR
#13 - Rachel Novak - 5'9" JR
#14 - Taylor Brown - 6'1" SR - Transfer from American U
#15 - Kristina Ekofo Yomane 6'2" JR - Transfer from NE OK A&M
#20 - Emily Behnke - 6'2" JR
#21 - Elle Evans - 6'3" FR
#24 - Abby Schulte - 5'10" JR
#32 - Sophie Olson - 5'11" SO
#33 - Katie Hildebrandt - 6'2" SO

Bolded are returning players from last season.

Ugh, seems like every year we’re starting over from scratch.

El_Chapo
07-23-2022, 06:40 AM

cue the Cleveland Indians coach in major league...

bisonfan08
07-28-2022, 02:02 PM

We needed an overhaul, Jory has done the best he can with what he's been able to get but it was pretty obvious last season that the girls we had, while good enough to be a middle of the pack Summit League no doubt, were not good enough to compete for the title. I believe we've significantly improved in size and talent across the board, as long as this team gets on the same page, we should be in for a pretty fun season.

SomeBeach
07-30-2022, 04:58 AM
We needed an overhaul, Jory has done the best he can with what he's been able to get but it was pretty obvious last season that the girls we had, while good enough to be a middle of the pack Summit League no doubt, were not good enough to compete for the title. I believe we've significantly improved in size and talent across the board, as long as this team gets on the same page, we should be in for a pretty fun season.

Curious as to what all y'all need this team to accomplish in 22-23 to be considered a minimally acceptable, step-in-the-right-direction, successful season? More overall wins than last year (11), more conference wins than last year (7), top 3 finish in conference tournament? Busch Light AND Coors Light at home games?

bisonfan08
07-30-2022, 06:19 PM
Curious as to what all y'all need this team to accomplish in 22-23 to be considered a minimally acceptable, step-in-the-right-direction, successful season? More overall wins than last year (11), more conference wins than last year (7), top 3 finish in conference tournament? Busch Light AND Coors Light at home games?

Top 4 seed in conference tournament, get one win out of a likely 3 chances against a rebuilding USD team and winning at least one game in the SLT would be a great start.

NESDBison
08-06-2022, 08:54 PM
Sounds like the girls ended up 1-1 in Greece. Both games very close so at least competition was good for the travel. Just judging off the pics it looks like the go to group was
A Draper
H Hamling
E Behnke
E Evans
A Schulte

I think K Hildebrandt and T Brown did not dress??

My take away is it looked like EEvans was on the floor a ton. She had the game 2 winner under 12sec. It feels early on that she is going to come in here and contribute immediately!!

Looks like they had 13 girls, and I’m thinking M Bedziri (Sweden) is the missing piece. Odd she wasn’t with them but maybe she’s bailed bc I think the tie in piece for her was one of the asst coaches that left the team?!?

bruinbison
10-12-2022, 11:00 AM
Preseason Summit League Poll

22-23 Summit League Women’s Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll
Rank School Points (1st) 2021-22 Record (SL)
1. South Dakota State 746 (36) 29-9 (17-1)
2. South Dakota 676 (4) 29-6 (17-1)
3. Oral Roberts 602 16-15 (10-8)
4. North Dakota 522 15-15 (9-9)
5. North Dakota State 475 11-18 (7-11)
6. Kansas City 388 23-9 (12-6)
7. Western Illinois 308 14-15 (5-12)
8. Denver 227 10-20 (5-13)
9. St. Thomas 211 7-21 (4-14)
10. Omaha 199 7-19 (3-14)

2022-23 Preseason Summit League Player of the Year
Myah Selland, South Dakota State

2022-23 Preseason All-Summit League First Team
Kacie Borowicz, North Dakota, Sr., G (21.1 ppg/5.1 rpg/4.2 apg/95.7 FT%)
Paiton Burckhard, South Dakota State, Sr., F. (11.2 ppg/5.8 rpg/2.3 apg/73.7 FT%)
Heaven Hamling, North Dakota State, Sr., G (14.3 ppg/4.9 rpg/2.8 apg/88.2 FT%)
Tirzah Moore, Oral Roberts, So., F, (14.8 ppg/6.0 rpg)
Paige Meyer, South Dakota State, So., G (10.8 ppg/4.5 apg/3.6 rpg/61.6 FG%)
Myah Selland, South Dakota State, R-Sr., F (14.2 ppg/4.9 rpg/3.3 apg)*

https://thesummitleague.org/news/2022/10/11/womens-basketball-jackrabbits-picked-as-favorites-to-secure-summitwbb-crown.aspx

Bisman
11-18-2022, 11:42 AM
Bison women knock off Gophers for home victory against Power Five opponent

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/womens-sports/bison-women-knock-off-gophers-for-home-victory-against-power-five-opponent

imabison
12-07-2022, 10:30 PM
https://gobison.com/news/2022/12/7/womens-basketball-ndsu-womens-basketball-reschedules-mayville-state-matchup.aspx

Jory Collins said he was serious about playing this game.
NDSU vs Mayville State at Mayville Dec 14

1998braves64
12-08-2022, 10:36 AM
https://gobison.com/news/2022/12/7/womens-basketball-ndsu-womens-basketball-reschedules-mayville-state-matchup.aspx

Jory Collins said he was serious about playing this game.
NDSU vs Mayville State at Mayville Dec 14I suppose schedule conflicts with Scheels arena dictated to play in Mayville?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

bisonfan08
12-08-2022, 01:45 PM
I suppose schedule conflicts with Scheels arena dictated to play in Mayville?

There's literally nothing going on at the SHAC from Sunday until the 19th when conference season opens. They have both wrestling at noon on Sunday and a men's game at 5pm that evening and then nothing until 12/19, so scheduling not an issue, Mayville St is going up to UND 2 days before so coming down to Fargo shouldn't be an issue. Not sure what the reasoning behind it is but I'm not a fan of it, cost season ticket holders one of the few home out of conference games.

Bisonator98
12-08-2022, 03:18 PM
There's literally nothing going on at the SHAC from Sunday until the 19th when conference season opens. They have both wrestling at noon on Sunday and a men's game at 5pm that evening and then nothing until 12/19, so scheduling not an issue, Mayville St is going up to UND 2 days before so coming down to Fargo shouldn't be an issue. Not sure what the reasoning behind it is but I'm not a fan of it, cost season ticket holders one of the few home out of conference games.

Graduation?

imabison
12-08-2022, 05:43 PM
Graduation?

Yup, Jory Collins said this morning that Graduation required 4 days of set up.

El_Chapo
12-08-2022, 05:58 PM
Yup, Jory Collins said this morning that Graduation required 4 days of set up.

4 days?? LOL WUT ?

bisonfan08
12-09-2022, 03:08 PM
4 days?? LOL WUT ?

My thoughts exactly. They can have a wrestling duel at noon and play basketball at 5pm but they need 4 days for graduation?? Wow

1998braves64
12-10-2022, 12:08 AM
My thoughts exactly. They can have a wrestling duel at noon and play basketball at 5pm but they need 4 days for graduation?? WowDoesn't graduation happen over 2 days now or was that just a COVID thing? Day to set up 2 days of graduation a half day to tear down then probably a few hours to set up for bball.

DePereBisonFan
02-12-2023, 03:08 AM
Any idea where the Summit ranks relative to other conferences? The Bison women did decent OOC but have struggled vs other Summit teams.

bisonfan08
02-17-2023, 07:50 PM
It was just mentioned in the KC game day thread but figured I'd move the discussion here where it probably belongs. Behnke, Brown and Novak listed as being honored for senior day. Brown is a 5th year senior, she was a given. Novak only a true JR but not playing much now and definitely won't with the rest of the talent coming in so not surprising to see her move on. Behnke is the surprise. She redshirted so even without the Covid year is only a junior eligibility wise so I thought for sure she'd be back next year, especially with how well she's played this year. She did get engaged this fall though and has been at NDSU for 4 years so will likely graduate in the spring so may just be ready to move to the next stage of life.

dufferole
02-17-2023, 10:40 PM
I believe that Novak is graduating also. On Hot Mic, Jory mentioned Behnke was getting back surgery after the season. She still might come back.

El_Chapo
02-23-2023, 06:40 PM
ryan cobbins had 10 points vs Auburn last week...... she's at Alabama. If she stays, this team is easily #2 with a bullet in conference

totoinfl
02-23-2023, 08:11 PM
LOL...There are two top 5 teams in the SEC and Alabama is 5th or 6th...they won't catch SC or LSU. Cobbins had played in 4 games all season and scored 8 points prior to that...Plus they got pounded by an average Miss State team this week. Stop making shit up.

El_Chapo
02-23-2023, 09:38 PM
LOL...There are two top 5 teams in the SEC and Alabama is 5th or 6th...they won't catch SC or LSU. Cobbins had played in 4 games all season and scored 8 points prior to that...Plus they got pounded by an average Miss State team this week. Stop making shit up.

i was saying NDSU would be #2 and better with her. i wasn't bragging about fukkin alabama.

land grant bison
02-24-2023, 01:43 AM
If NDSU and und tie in the standings after Saturday, who gets the 2 seed?

El_Chapo
02-24-2023, 03:57 AM
NDSU wins & they are #2 . goes to common opponents

roadwarrior
02-24-2023, 01:35 PM
If NDSU and und tie in the standings after Saturday, who gets the 2 seed?

We swept USD, UND only beat them once. That would be the tie breaker.

HerdBot
02-24-2023, 02:32 PM
If we can beat Western, we are guaranteed a WNIT spot with 2nd place. That would be one heck of a step for WBB
Here is an article from the Forum . By the time the tournament starts, spring will be in the air and I could see a huge turnout if we could host a playoff game

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mcfeely-bison-women-could-secure-wnit-berth-and-with-it-some-needed-juice

bisonfan08
02-24-2023, 02:44 PM
If we can beat Western, we are guaranteed a WNIT spot with 2nd place. That would be one heck of a step for WBB
Here is an article from the Forum . By the time the tournament starts, spring will be in the air and I could see a huge turnout if we could host a playoff game

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mcfeely-bison-women-could-secure-wnit-berth-and-with-it-some-needed-juice

Just another reason tomorrow's game is so huge. Hopefully they play better for 4 quarters than they did last night but the 2nd half was encouraging and hopefully can carry that momentum forward.

Bison Bridge Guy
02-24-2023, 06:38 PM
We swept USD, UND only beat them once. That would be the tie breaker.

McFeely had this in a column today - According to the Summit League's tiebreaker criteria, if NDSU and UND win Saturday, UND would get the second seed if Kansas City beats South Dakota and Denver beats Omaha.

bisonfan08
02-24-2023, 07:27 PM
McFeely had this in a column today - According to the Summit League's tiebreaker criteria, if NDSU and UND win Saturday, UND would get the second seed if Kansas City beats South Dakota and Denver beats Omaha.

This is correct, Denver would have the tiebreaker over USD because Denver went 1-1 against us and USD went 0-2. UND swept Denver so then they would hold the tiebreaker over us. USD playing well so I don't think they lose to KC but definitely always possible.

land grant bison
02-25-2023, 11:25 PM
Really proud of the direction Jory has this team going. He has recruited a bunch of talented gals who don’t back down from a fight. If sdsu wins the conference tourney and NDSU gets the WNIT bid, I really hope they bid for a home game…I wonder if the women could crack 3,000 in attendance

blackdiamond2
02-26-2023, 04:32 AM
2nd in Summit is good season for to build on! Wins over USD, Boise State, Nevada, Minnesota.

Possible Freshman of the year in Evans.

If we hit on one of the freshmen recruits next year, that would add some depth for us.

imabison
02-26-2023, 11:44 PM
Evans should get Freshman of the year, and newcomer of the year.

dufferole
02-27-2023, 03:25 PM
Dom had a nice story about Elle on today's Inforum website.

El_Chapo
02-28-2023, 02:22 PM
Elle will have power 5 schools drooling

bisonfan08
02-28-2023, 03:20 PM
Elle will have power 5 schools drooling

They can drool all they want, she already had P5 offers, she chose NDSU because she likes the coaching staff and the environment and she could play right away. Hopefully Jory keeps up the recruiting, he's been killing it and this team is going to contend for championships sooner rather than later. Hopeful they'll make the SLT title game this year for the first time ever.

Bison Bridge Guy
02-28-2023, 04:13 PM
They can drool all they want, she already had P5 offers, she chose NDSU because she likes the coaching staff and the environment and she could play right away. Hopefully Jory keeps up the recruiting, he's been killing it and this team is going to contend for championships sooner rather than later. Hopeful they'll make the SLT title game this year for the first time ever.

You're right she chose NDSU but my concern was this quote from her in the Forum article the other day - "I definitely got a couple Power 5 looks and offers, but I knew the level I wanted to go to as a freshman and in my younger college years." That sounds like she may have been or is looking at NDSU as temporary.

TransAmBison
02-28-2023, 04:16 PM
You're right she chose NDSU but my concern was this quote from her in the Forum article the other day - "I definitely got a couple Power 5 looks and offers, but I knew the level I wanted to go to as a freshman and in my younger college years." That sounds like she may have been or is looking at NDSU as temporary.Oof...yeah that doesn't sound good.

bisonfan08
02-28-2023, 04:55 PM
Oof...yeah that doesn't sound good.

That quote is a little out of context, I interviewed her for my podcast and when I asked her about choosing NDSU she said she wanted to go somewhere where she could play right away and contribute as a Freshman and not have to sit on the bench for a couple of years. That's what she's referencing in that quote.

heffray
02-28-2023, 05:40 PM
That quote is a little out of context, I interviewed her for my podcast and when I asked her about choosing NDSU she said she wanted to go somewhere where she could play right away and contribute as a Freshman and not have to sit on the bench for a couple of years. That's what she's referencing in that quote.

Which would be NDSU in her younger years, and could very likely mean a P5 school next year or later… Obviously hope she stays, but even if her statement was something like “I chose NDSU and I am committed to staying here through my entire college experience…” That still wouldn’t rule out a transfer in today’s environment, IMO. She’s not even saying that, though…

Mr Meaty
02-28-2023, 06:33 PM
Which would be NDSU in her younger years, and could very likely mean a P5 school next year or later… Obviously hope she stays, but even if her statement was something like “I chose NDSU and I am committed to staying here through my entire college experience…” That still wouldn’t rule out a transfer in today’s environment, IMO. She’s not even saying that, though…

She will stay, got an up and coming team around her and things will only continue to get better. Fingers crossed she stays....

heffray
02-28-2023, 08:26 PM
She will stay, got an up and coming team around her and things will only continue to get better. Fingers crossed she stays....

Oh yeah - fingers crossed she stays for sure. I’m 50/50 at this point that she will… Same with Nelson, fwiw…

bisonfan08
02-28-2023, 08:31 PM
Oh yeah - fingers crossed she stays for sure. I’m 50/50 at this point that she will… Same with Nelson, fwiw…

I think she stays because she wanted to be here and because nobody is offering $100K+ NIL deals in the women's game like they do the men's to draw them away. The SL is a great women's hoops league.

Nelson I'm less worried about transferring and more worried about just straight up going to the NBA. But that discussion point is in the men's thread to debate that

heffray
02-28-2023, 09:54 PM
I think she stays because she wanted to be here and because nobody is offering $100K+ NIL deals in the women's game like they do the men's to draw them away. The SL is a great women's hoops league.

Nelson I'm less worried about transferring and more worried about just straight up going to the NBA. But that discussion point is in the men's thread to debate that

Yep sorry for the drift and good point about Women’s NIL being significantly less.

TransAmBison
03-01-2023, 02:21 PM
That quote is a little out of context, I interviewed her for my podcast and when I asked her about choosing NDSU she said she wanted to go somewhere where she could play right away and contribute as a Freshman and not have to sit on the bench for a couple of years. That's what she's referencing in that quote.Okay...that does make sense...thanks for clarifying.

As for Nelson, I can't give myself any hope he is playing for the Bison next year. He'll probably lose that commercial money he's been making, but I think he'll take a chance...

heffray
03-01-2023, 02:39 PM
Okay...that does make sense...thanks for clarifying.

As for Nelson, I can't give myself any hope he is playing for the Bison next year. He'll probably lose that commercial money he's been making, but I think he'll take a chance...

Maybe if Nodak starts printing giant checks a la Happy Gilmore he’ll decide to stay…

BlueKeyAlum
03-03-2023, 03:08 AM
Kind of off-topic but I’ll drop this here as we beat them this year. The Lindsay Whalen Experiment at the U of M is over. Goohers lost their B1G tourney opener to Penn State. Today AD Coyle announced that Whalen would be relinquishing her coaching responsibilities and work as Special Assistant to the AD until her contract extension is up in 2025. Goohers had a talented frosh class and there might be an incentive to move quickly on this search to keep them out of transfer portal.