PDA

View Full Version : Your bad/good recruiting takes

tony
06-22-2022, 02:40 PM
So if you go to the 2023 recruiting summary thread, there are links to all the previous recruiting summaries and, from there, see what you said about recruits when they gave their verbal.

I just checked out Luepke's thread from the 2018 summary: There were only 9 posts from the signing period. I remember thinking he looked like an animal in his highlights... but that might be a false memory because all I posted was "Yeah, a state champion wrestler... not quite as speedy [as Morlock], but one heck of an athlete."

I'm going to rate that take as bad. He is actually very fast when healthy. Heck, he is fast when not fully healthy.

CaBisonFan
06-22-2022, 03:01 PM
So if you go to the 2023 recruiting summary thread, there are links to all the previous recruiting summaries and, from there, see what you said about recruits when they gave their verbal.

I just checked out Luepke's thread from the 2018 summary: There were only 9 posts from the signing period. I remember thinking he looked like an animal in his highlights... but that might be a false memory because all I posted was "Yeah, a state champion wrestler... not quite as speedy [as Morlock], but one heck of an athlete."

I'm going to rate that take as bad. He is actually very fast when healthy. Heck, he is fast when not fully healthy.He's one of the best pure football players in the history of the program. He's Stark-like...

tony
06-22-2022, 03:21 PM
He's one of the best pure football players in the history of the program. He's Stark-like...

He reminds me of Roehl except a longer stride. I'm not sure that there's much difference in top end speed.

I'm never going to gush too much over a verbal because I don't want to jinx anything - and now with NIL and a 365/24/7 free agency there's even less reason.

THEsocalledfan
06-22-2022, 07:01 PM
He reminds me of Roehl except a longer stride. I'm not sure that there's much difference in top end speed.

I'm never going to gush too much over a verbal because I don't want to jinx anything - and now with NIL and a 365/24/7 free agency there's even less reason.

All I know is I was thinking he was borderline for the NFL until that JMU game. Now, I think he is a clear draft pick and will have a solid NFL career. (Edit, position could hold him back for draft, but I stand by solid NFL career statement....)

Herd
06-22-2022, 07:17 PM
I had Purifoy in 2015 as the next Lamar Gordon. Didn’t I look silly.

Then there Lakes take that MWill would play 2 maybe 3 sports and be a basketball star for us. I did tell him he was full of Sh$$. He most certainly was, not surprising.

Rixen
06-23-2022, 02:37 PM
I had Purifoy in 2015 as the next Lamar Gordon. Didn’t I look silly.

Then there Lakes take that MWill would play 2 maybe 3 sports and be a basketball star for us. I did tell him he was full of Sh$$. He most certainly was, not surprising.

Some of you may recall that I grade all of the recruits every year when they officially sign on signing day as well as grade their impact when they leave the program. I've had PLENTY of misses but if it makes Herd feel better I definitely whiffed on Purifoy too but to be fair he was hampered by injuries quite a bit too. Still call it a whiff though because I think he was healthy enough one of the years to try and forge his way into meaningful snaps if he was who I thought he was.

Rixen
06-23-2022, 03:11 PM
Ok so I figured I would go back awhile and post my biggest whiffs of each year.

2014:
Darrius Shepherd WR (Considered him a depth signing. Legit special teams potential but just an average WR)

2015:
Demaris Purifoy RB (Rated as All Conference as well as Bruuuuuuce. I was SO excited about this RB duo)
Bryan Carlton DT(Rated as All Conference and was maybe high-end depth)
Connor Hubbs DT/NT (Rated as All Conference and I feel like he rarely played. Similarly very excited about a Carlton/Hubbs interior DL combo)
***Interesting Note: Hendricks, Bridges, and Ty Brooks were all in this class at different positions. All ended up being fantastic at different positions. Recruit athletes!***

2016:
This class was weird to find true whiffs in either direction. Cordell was amazing but had essentially no real film. I liked Van Dellen quite a bit but got kicked off the team early. Felix Dixon was promising but left early. Jabril was obviously amazing but 95% of his film was as a running QB. /shrug

2017:
Jack Begley LB (Had him as an All Conference LB. Didn't see the field much)
Jackson Hankey LB (Had him as depth. Nice work proving me to be an idiot Jackson. Now excuse me while I just swap the grades for Begley and Hankey)
Logan McCormick DE (Had him as good depth as well. Not sure how high he ascended but he was reliable and quite good for much of his career)
Lane Tucker DT (I don't think this is as much of a whiff as it looked a year ago but I had him as Hall of Fame caliber and I think his last 1.5 years proved to be borderline all conference)

2018:
Saybein Clark RB (Rated as All Conference and never quite cracked into meaningful snaps)
Hunter Luepke FB (Rated as a starter but he will likely go down as a Hall of Fame talent for us. To my credit I said "a great athlete but a shame he doesn't have height for TE")
Joe Schreiber OL (Had him as "borderline HoF". He was a starter at best and then left the program)
Samuel Moore DE (Rated as All Conference didn't make an early impact and left the program soon after)

2019:
Luke Dwyer LB (All Conference rating but left already)
***Can't close the book on any other ratings yet as they still have time to shine....or not***

Minimum8Pete
06-23-2022, 03:24 PM
I was a lurker at the time so i dont have any receipts for my takes, but after looking at his tape and hearing he was a crazy good wrestler i knew that he was going to be a psycho in the best way. I was way more excited about him than i probably should have been, but i never saw this coming. i was hoping hed be a good gadget player in unique situations, i never expected him to cause defensive coordinators migranes during game prep.

Herd
06-23-2022, 04:15 PM
Some of you may recall that I grade all of the recruits every year when they officially sign on signing day as well as grade their impact when they leave the program. I've had PLENTY of misses but if it makes Herd feel better I definitely whiffed on Purifoy too but to be fair he was hampered by injuries quite a bit too. Still call it a whiff though because I think he was healthy enough one of the years to try and forge his way into meaningful snaps if he was who I thought he was.

When I asked a former player, sitting in his dads seats next to me about Pure, he just said, wasn’t durable. Not everyone can handle the punishment.

southcliffbison
06-23-2022, 04:30 PM
Saybein Clark, who spurned offers from Iowa and others to accept NDSU's scholly, chose to leave the program and pursue a music career. Granted, he was buried on the depth chart. Anyone know how that's going for him?

HerdBot
06-23-2022, 04:32 PM
Trey lance

there is competition for sure, just wouldn't surprise me to see trey to come out on top.

i think hotchkiss will come out on top

there is competition for sure, just wouldn't surprise me to see trey to come out on top.

100% my take only, so fire away. Its the eve of training camp

i have a couple family connections to trey that i hear rumblings from..
Also have a cousin who's a huge iowa state fan that says zeb noland is a great passer, but zero elusiveness.

Ndsu wants an elusive qb, there's just no hiding that.
Now if he struggles vs butler than all bets are off.

Lets go trey, you have the skills and confidence to lead this team to another title.

(mods move to commons if you'd like)

entz said he is making decision around aug 15, psh, he knows already.

tony
06-23-2022, 04:41 PM

Yeah, I'd have a lot more bad takes on the record if I was willing to share my thoughts online.

I'm thinking that maybe I should at least jot down some recruiting reaction offline so that when I have hilariously bad takes, I can share them after the player's NDSU career is over.

And if you love a player coming in and they don't pan out because of injuries or academics that doesn't a bad take make. Now, if I post something like "I love this player's highlights" that's about as close as I'll ever get to saying that I think they'll be a star.

HerdBot
06-23-2022, 05:33 PM
I looked through 2018 and I didn't say anything really dumb except my excitement for Ogbu sure changes when I found out he was 6-2 instead of 6-6

But other years I've probably been way off lol

HUNTER LUEPKE

This guy has nfl potential imho.

Reminds you of the 49ers fullback does he? :)

Watching the Superbowl... similar style for sure. Loved watching them run the ball

TONY PIERCE

Holy shit this dude rushes the qb like a cat around the edge! Pair him up with Bartholomew Ogbu and wow demon pass rush!

BARTHOLOMEW OGBU
** side note everyone said be was 6-6, 213 and he came in at 6-2, 241. Had I known he was 6-2, my excitement for him would have been less**

I don't think I have ever heard of something like this. Bummer for him. On the positive side he needs to add some serious weight to his frame and playing basketball makes that very difficult. Adding minimum 20 pounds to his frame will take some serious effort. This way he can focus on this and he could see the field faster. When this kid is 240 he's going to be a hell of a player

JAYDEN PRICE

Here are the combine results from Jayden back in March of 2017
https://www.theopening.com/national-leaderboard

He had a 36.3 " vertical jump which is not subjective like 40 times. Ran a 4.58 40 and a really impressive 3.95 shuttle. Overall this kids a great athlete and he's smart and played QB

His 100 meter time is phenomenal. It was in the 10.72 in May of 2017.

Kids got the skills to play corner, safety, and be a return man.

Since this was a year ago, it's likely he is stronger and faster now.

DJ STEWART

DJ is gonna have a breakout season. im

https://www.hudl.com/video/5a2ab313ab9d781c1cb0df66

I'm sure he will be a stud. You have a great track record of predicting the next great player

PHOENIX SPROLES

17 offers including some Ivy so we know the young man is smart. Good size for a WR. Seems to play all over the place including punt return. His highlights look good and that's only his junior season so his best is yet to come. Looks quicker then fast but can get vertical and has good hands. He's such a good athlete he looks like he could play many positions. 2 verbals and both big ones out of Minnesota. This has the makings of a Minnesota all star team. We got our QB in Tre Lance and now a good WR to throw to... Congrats and welcome aboard!

SAMUEL MOORE
didn't he leave for track?

Kolpack and Izzo had him on this morning: said he wants to do track as well as football and that NDSU throwing program was a big draw. Also said he likes playing DT.

If he's listed at 6-5, he's probably 6-4 and appears to have the frame to have a build similar to a Nate Tanguay. Love having those tall guys in the middle. At 230 he has time to build up

ZACH MATHIS
He was listed at 195 at the time. Now he is 205

Watched his highlights. Kid can jump, has really soft hands, and is very coordinated for a guy who is this tall. Can't tell on speed because I don't know the level of football there and he didn't t get in the open field much on his highlights

With all tall guys, it all comes down to putting on weight so they can get off the line of scrimmage and block, while keeping speed and learning the playbook. If that happens this kids got quite the upside and a great frame for Kramer to work with

Welcome aboard

SAYBEIN CLARK

Watching this kid run, defenders like literally bounce off of his legs and he just powers through them. And it's not like he's just a power back, the kid has wheels in the open field and can cut. Very similar to King Frazier but probably faster.

KENNETH CHANELLE
Left during 1st season , transferred

Chanelle looks like he has the quicks to return punts. He reminds me of Brooks. He's quicker than fast

JASIR COX

If I had to guess, Outside Linebacker. Has the size to tackle and the athleticism to cover. 6-2 frame

If he was 6-4 like his brother he would have more attention. He appears to be a bit more of a tweeter safety/linebacker. Jabril is obviously a linebacker. Heck Jabril could play DE or TE

He's listed at 6-3 but he looks like a tall 6-3. Or maybe it's the hair

Im thinking jasir is a tall 6-1, not 6-2

Jasir is 6-2, fast, strong, athletic, comes from a good family, has good genes obviously, and gets to play D1 football with his brother who is a stud already. This kids a Grand Slam in my book. Welcome aboard!!!

JAMES KACZOR

He's definitely not a burner but he's strong and athletic as hell. I doubt he will play corner but you never know. To my untrained eye, he looks like a strong safety or an undersized speedy outside linebacker.

JUANE TILLMAN
Left the team last year

Kind of reminds me of Aaron Mercadel and Ross Kennelly. Not a huge guy but is fast and he can tackle. Solid athlete. Florida has been good to us. Sometimes these under the radar kids end up being hidden gems. Welcome aboard.

HerdBot
06-23-2022, 06:50 PM
Ok so I figured I would go back awhile and post my biggest whiffs of each year.

2014:
Darrius Shepherd WR (Considered him a depth signing. Legit special teams potential but just an average WR)

2015:
Demaris Purifoy RB (Rated as All Conference as well as Bruuuuuuce. I was SO excited about this RB duo)
Bryan Carlton DT(Rated as All Conference and was maybe high-end depth)
Connor Hubbs DT/NT (Rated as All Conference and I feel like he rarely played. Similarly very excited about a Carlton/Hubbs interior DL combo)
***Interesting Note: Hendricks, Bridges, and Ty Brooks were all in this class at different positions. All ended up being fantastic at different positions. Recruit athletes!***

2016:
This class was weird to find true whiffs in either direction. Cordell was amazing but had essentially no real film. I liked Van Dellen quite a bit but got kicked off the team early. Felix Dixon was promising but left early. Jabril was obviously amazing but 95% of his film was as a running QB. /shrug

2017:
Jack Begley LB (Had him as an All Conference LB. Didn't see the field much)
Jackson Hankey LB (Had him as depth. Nice work proving me to be an idiot Jackson. Now excuse me while I just swap the grades for Begley and Hankey)
Logan McCormick DE (Had him as good depth as well. Not sure how high he ascended but he was reliable and quite good for much of his career)
Lane Tucker DT (I don't think this is as much of a whiff as it looked a year ago but I had him as Hall of Fame caliber and I think his last 1.5 years proved to be borderline all conference)

2018:
Saybein Clark RB (Rated as All Conference and never quite cracked into meaningful snaps)
Hunter Luepke FB (Rated as a starter but he will likely go down as a Hall of Fame talent for us. To my credit I said "a great athlete but a shame he doesn't have height for TE")
Joe Schreiber OL (Had him as "borderline HoF". He was a starter at best and then left the program)
Samuel Moore DE (Rated as All Conference didn't make an early impact and left the program soon after)

2019:
Luke Dwyer LB (All Conference rating but left already)
***Can't close the book on any other ratings yet as they still have time to shine....or not***

I thought Jack Begley was going to a DeLuca like middle linebacker. Never started a game.

Demaris Purifoy would have played a ton his but he blew out his knee as a sophmore and got hurt as a junior. Before that he was buried on the depth chart. He did graduate

Darius Shepherd didn't even get his own thread when he signed!

BISONBRI53
06-23-2022, 08:26 PM
I looked through 2018 and I didn't say anything really dumb except my excitement for Ogbu sure changes when I found out he was 6-2 instead of 6-6

But other years I've probably been way off lol

HUNTER LUEPKE

TONY PIERCE

BARTHOLOMEW OGBU
** side note everyone said be was 6-6, 213 and he came in at 6-2, 241. Had I known he was 6-2, my excitement for him would have been less**

JAYDEN PRICE

DJ STEWART

PHOENIX SPROLES

SAMUEL MOORE
didn't he leave for track?

ZACH MATHIS
He was listed at 195 at the time. Now he is 205

SAYBEIN CLARK

KENNETH CHANELLE
Left during 1st season , transferred

JASIR COX

JAMES KACZOR

JUANE TILLMAN
Left the team last year

Come on Gabe!! That's gotta be a lie!!!

Kevin
06-23-2022, 09:25 PM
I thought Arch Manning was going to come to NDSU.

Texas? We play in Texas too.

Snowgoose
06-23-2022, 09:27 PM

He still may as there is the transfer portal. I can't see him succeeding at Texas. Although Texas does suck so I guess you never know.

bison22
06-24-2022, 03:41 AM
Pretty dumb for Arch Manning not to come to NDSU. He could have handed the ball off 35 times and be guaranteed top 3 pick in the draft.

Kevin
06-24-2022, 05:27 PM
Pretty dumb for Arch Manning not to come to NDSU. He could have handed the ball off 35 times and be guaranteed top 3 pick in the draft.

that's what i was saying bro! i tried to explain it to him until the restraining order limited my communications

southcliffbison
06-24-2022, 08:04 PM

Just maybe having Manning's high school teammate and friend, 3 star TE Will Randle committing to Texas weighed in on Arch's decision.