PDA

View Full Version : Murray State to be added to Missouri Valley Football Conference

HerdBot
04-04-2022, 12:23 AM
Murray State to be added to Missouri Valley Football Conference
https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/murray-state-to-be-added-to-missouri-valley-football-conference

HerdBot
04-04-2022, 12:26 AM
At least they have plans to improve their facilities

https://www.murrayledger.com/sports/murray_state/murray-state-athletics-facilities-master-plan-focuses-on-football/article_ef17499e-519a-11ec-a277-1f4f55abe48f.html

TAILG8R
04-04-2022, 01:28 AM
Gross.

Stop this train I want to get off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

NDSU1980
04-04-2022, 01:39 AM
Gross.

I agree. It was bad enough when we had admit un_.

Wolfie
04-04-2022, 01:48 AM
At least they have plans to improve their facilities

https://www.murrayledger.com/sports/murray_state/murray-state-athletics-facilities-master-plan-focuses-on-football/article_ef17499e-519a-11ec-a277-1f4f55abe48f.html

Do they have plans to actually win?
How embarrassing for NDSU to be associated with a conference that just thought Murray St. would be a solid edition to the league. They haven't made an FCS playoff in 20 years and they are in the OHIO FUCKING VALLEY conference. If you can't win there, then holy shit, get ready for some absolute shit shows in the MVFC.

They lost to Austin Peay every year for the last 5 years..there has to be a punchline in there somewhere?

Sun Bison
04-04-2022, 02:14 AM
So the MVC thinks it can just park shitty football teams in the MVFC without giving MVFC teams a cut of their NCAA basketball money? That is some bullshit. NDSU needs to move out of this shit ASAP.

El_Chapo
04-04-2022, 02:25 AM
Remember when half the MVFC quit in the spring season?
adding usd, und was pathetic.
No offense Murray State, You're fine I'm the MVFC... NDSU just isn't

Wheres the basketball money Patty V ?? idiot

HerdBot
04-04-2022, 02:53 AM
Remember when half the MVFC quit in the spring season?
adding usd, und was pathetic.
No offense Murray State, You're fine I'm the MVFC... NDSU just isn't

Wheres the basketball money Patty V ?? idiot

This ^ is so true

EC8CH
04-04-2022, 02:54 AM
This ^ is so true

Basketball money or Bill Murray bucks... Something!

El_Chapo
04-04-2022, 02:59 AM
Basketball money or Bill Murray bucks... Something!

who ya gonna call?

HerdBot
04-04-2022, 03:10 AM
How embarrassing for NDSU to be associated with a conference that just thought Murray St. would be a solid edition to the league. They haven't made an FCS playoff in 20 years and they are in the OHIO FUCKING VALLEY conference. If you can't win there, then holy shit, get ready for some absolute shit shows in the MVFC.

They lost to Austin Peay every year for the last 5 years..there has to be a punchline in there somewhere?

Probably not. I was just trying to find something positive but here's my valient attempt

1) Decent brand. Some casual fans may recognize their name in Basketball and think they are good in football and a big time school for our conference

2) New market. Not a big one but they have fans... in basketball. Not that we recruit Kentucky

3) Attendance. Last year they drew
6k, 9k, 10k, 6500, 6300
Which is better than Indiana State

4) Their stadium looks OK on TV if you only show 1 side and don't show the empty parts

5) Is Kentucky warm in the late season?

Kevin
04-04-2022, 03:19 AM
Can we get into the big sky or would Montana cry again

bisoneer
04-04-2022, 03:31 AM
Could there be a merger plan for Summit Conf., MVFC teams and the MVC? This would get us better basketball tv money??

Kevin
04-04-2022, 03:32 AM
Mountain west rn pls.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
04-04-2022, 04:15 AM
Oh joy..."MSU has eight Ohio Valley conference titles to its credit, the most recent coming in 2002."

What a great fit for the supposed best conference in FCS. A team that cannot wing a conference title in a crap division in 20 years. If NDSU voted to allow them in, then the whole school's direction needs to be seriously reviewed.

This add is as bad as thinking Auggie in the Summit is a good idea.

DePereBisonFan
04-04-2022, 04:17 AM
This must mean that the MVFC knows NDSU and SDSU are leaving and they are trying to please the more southern located schools like ISU Blue and Missouri State.

Kevin
04-04-2022, 04:17 AM
What’s this compare to? FIU getting into the SEC?

Loud and Proud Bison fan
04-04-2022, 04:24 AM
What’s this compare to? FIU getting into the SEC?

No, FIU would at least be in the same territory. I would say more like New Mexico State joining the SEC.

Kevin
04-04-2022, 04:25 AM
No, FIU would at least be in the same territory. I would say more like New Mexico State joining the SEC.

FIU is located in international waters bro it’s in the name

Bisonwinagn
04-04-2022, 04:36 AM
Don't get the comments this was purely a basketball move that helps the MVC.

This will help to inflate overall records making it easier to get an at large bid. Think Big Sky with a bunch of bad teams they also ended up with 3 seeds last year.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
04-04-2022, 04:42 AM
Having to play great teams like this, is why tickets are getting easier to buy all the time. I love attending games where I leave at half time /purple

Pretty soon, I think it will be time for a Fire AD Matt L, save the program thread.

HerdBot
04-04-2022, 06:02 AM
Oh joy..."MSU has eight Ohio Valley conference titles to its credit, the most recent coming in 2002."

What a great fit for the supposed best conference in FCS. A team that cannot wing a conference title in a crap division in 20 years. If NDSU voted to allow them in, then the whole school's direction needs to be seriously reviewed.

This add is as bad as thinking Auggie in the Summit is a good idea.

At least Augie is a D2 Championship caliber program lol

scottietohottie
04-04-2022, 10:33 AM
Having to play great teams like this, is why tickets are getting easier to buy all the time. I love attending games where I leave at half time /purple

Pretty soon, I think it will be time for a Fire AD Matt L, save the program thread.

Also can save some money for the Fargodome by not having to sell so much concessions, find enough volunteers, shorter lines for the metal detectors, and bathrooms, and just less wear on the building in general to make it last longer by adding Murray state.

Can't hurt recruiting either. Who wouldn't want to play blue trees, fighting hawks, and race horses. Basically every kids dream. Glad someone with authority finally noticed the we want Murray state signs.

I'm sure it will be the fans fault when the dome is half full.

Un_ won't be so lonely now in late November and December. The valley will have one more non playoff caliber team.

southcliffbison
04-04-2022, 10:46 AM
I'll bet a dollar to a donut that NDSU voted to let Murray State in; it just falls lock step in place with the mind set. Whoever it was (ML or DB, don't think the new prez has taken over yet) has done a big disservice to the conference. If they planned to add a team, should have been Augustana, not something from Kentucky for Christ's sake.

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 12:50 PM
Looking at the map of a 12 team MVFC here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Football_Conference), it looks like a tight footprint 8 team conference with 4 northwestern outliers. Interesting ...

tjamz
04-04-2022, 12:57 PM

Playing a bit of devil's advocate here. Maybe the MVFC thinks that NDSU/SDSU or others will be making an FBS leap in the future and want to add some teams for the sake of stability?

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 12:57 PM
Playing a bit of devil's advocate here. Maybe the MVFC thinks that NDSU/SDSU or others will be making an FBS leap in the future and want to add some teams for the sake of stability?

< ding >

Your assumptions are solid.

NDSU1980
04-04-2022, 01:13 PM

They already had two extra teams and I highly doubt we are going anywhere, given the thought process of those above who decide these things. And I really doubt SDSU is inclined to move up

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 01:40 PM
They already had two extra teams and I highly doubt we are going anywhere, given the thought process of those above who decide these things. And I really doubt SDSU is inclined to move up

At 12 that is "two six team divisions" and you get five in-division games and play half the other division as your annual schedule.

Or, 12 is a 10-team conference after 2 leave, or an 8-team conference after 4 teams bolt.

NDSU1980
04-04-2022, 01:52 PM
At 12 that is "two six team divisions" and you get five in-division games and play half the other division as your annual schedule.

Or, 12 is a 10-team conference after 2 leave, or an 8-team conference after 4 teams bolt.

I still feel the ideal number is 9. Play everyone in the conference and 3 non con games.

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 02:04 PM
I still feel the ideal number is 9. Play everyone in the conference and 3 non con games.

Solid logic.
In a perfect world you have 9 FB (just as '80 says) and one BB only (for travel pairs and 18 games) in a ten-team conference.

Kevin
04-04-2022, 02:13 PM

u would play devils advocate because u voted for him

"or others" implies und right?

cuz if und can make the jump to fbs i don't want to bros. straight to the nfl for us.

MankatoBison
04-04-2022, 02:43 PM
I have been told by people who tell me I am a bad human, that akshully, Murray State is good and the FCS has never been stronger

AKCBOXERZ
04-04-2022, 02:47 PM
Just waiting on confirmation that Concordia is next to join MVFC to stabilize Conference..

Kevin
04-04-2022, 02:59 PM
Wait, how is Murray State in Kentucky and not in Murray?

Professorbum
04-04-2022, 03:13 PM
Gross.

I'm guessing CUSA will now start talk about adding them. They will be in FBS before we will.

StL Bison Fan
04-04-2022, 03:13 PM
I graduated from Murray State in 1978 (no old jokes please). They were bad at football. They are still bad at football.
They have a concrete stadium that sits on one side. A track went around it and probably still does. A racehorse runs around the track when they score.
On the plus side it is beautiful country and a very nice town. It will be a good away trip. My family still lives in the area. I spent my summers there fishing. Hopefully the weather will be goood when we go there to fish.

Kevin
04-04-2022, 03:25 PM
I graduated from Murray State in 1978 (no old jokes please). They were bad at football. They are still bad at football.
They have a concrete stadium that sits on one side. A track went around it and probably still does. A racehorse runs around the track when they score.
On the plus side it is beautiful country and a very nice town. It will be a good away trip. My family still lives in the area. I spent my summers there fishing. Hopefully the weather will be goood when we go there to fish.

A race horse bro? That's kind of badass.

Why don't we just let Corso loose on the field when we score?

No wonder we aren't fbs

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 03:34 PM
Just waiting on confirmation that Concordia is next to join MVFC to stabilize Conference..

Which one? Moorhead or St. Paul?

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 03:35 PM
Wait, how is Murray State in Kentucky and not in Murray?

Murray seceded, the school stayed.

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 03:42 PM
I'm guessing CUSA will now start talk about adding them. They will be in FBS before we will.

Don't kid yourself: That's exactly why Murray State was interested in the move.

I'm still trying to figure out why the MVFC was interested in it.

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-04-2022, 03:55 PM
This is 100 % MVFC accommodating the MVC. Nothing less, nothing more.

But it pretty much puts the whole Summit FB thing to bed 4 ever, which is a good thing.

NDSU has time to find the right FBS conference now … and leave the other 3 Dakotas behind.

Maybe they’ll join us at some point in the future, maybe not.

Who really cares at this point

tjbison
04-04-2022, 03:56 PM
This must mean that the MVFC knows NDSU and SDSU are leaving and they are trying to please the more southern located schools like ISU Blue and Missouri State.

LOL, SDSU isn't going anywhere.

This is absolute garbage.

The East of the MVFC will be a joke

El_Chapo
04-04-2022, 03:57 PM
Don't kid yourself: That's exactly why Murray State was interested in the move.

I'm still trying to figure out why the MVFC was interested in it.

exactly, they are in CUSA/SUNBELT/MAC country

is Matt too dumb to articulate to a FBS conference that for football its literally 1 plane flight a year that is 1 hour longer? its a nothing burger the travel argument

tjbison
04-04-2022, 04:00 PM
< ding >

Your assumptions are solid.

There is only 1 team in the Dakotas even remotely poised to move to FBS, be real

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 04:04 PM
... is Matt too dumb to articulate ...

As much as we like to bust on ADs, they are still on the low end of a dog leash held by their university president.

PickedBess
04-04-2022, 04:20 PM
LOL, SDSU isn't going anywhere.

This is absolute garbage.

The East of the MVFC will be a joke

As you know the South Dakota promoters said if NDSU was going D1 we have to. If we don't we would be the only State not having a University at the next level. Academics and Athletics.
SD may react like they did in 2003.
But Denny T. Sanford lives every day in fear. When are they going to knock on my door. Ya Brookings is small but money is Hugh.

norm4life
04-04-2022, 04:49 PM
I think Murray State is a safe and effective addition to the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

BISONBRI53
04-04-2022, 04:52 PM
A race horse bro? That's kind of badass.

Why don't we just let Corso loose on the field when we score?

No wonder we aren't fbs

Don't forget fatigue!!!

NDGooch
04-04-2022, 05:10 PM
Per Bison 1660 a few minutes ago, NDSU voted NO to add Murray State and had issues with their inclusion in the conference.

Mr Meaty
04-04-2022, 05:11 PM
NDSU voted no on the addition of Murray State

PickedBess
04-04-2022, 05:11 PM
Mountain west rn pls.

You El_Chapo and the rest know the Missouri Valley is ment to be temporary. Not going to make the same mistakes SU did in not moving up in the past. Like Ron Erhardt wanted in 65. Or not moving up to FSC when the Montana Schools did.

Late night football (Mountain West) is fun to watch. Fargo bars big business.
UND Big Sky late Saturday night games were a great way to end the day.

NDSU1980
04-04-2022, 05:21 PM
As much as we like to bust on ADs, they are still on the low end of a dog leash held by their university president.

I'll disagree with you. Remember when NDSU was getting interested in going D1. It was Roger Thomas that seemed to be the guy most against the move by und. At least he seemed to be front man, the guy you read about in the papers. Kupchalla was probably unavailable for comment.

AD's hold more sway then you are giving them credit for.

NDSUstudent
04-04-2022, 05:24 PM
Per Bison 1660 a few minutes ago, NDSU voted NO to add Murray State and had issues with their inclusion in the conference.

They were added because the MVC wanted to be a better basketball conference, so yeah that is kind of an issue.

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 05:25 PM
NDSU voted no on the addition of Murray State

Aren't the "official" results, after a straw poll of the voters (showing majority or fail), always announced as " ... by unanimous ballot ... blah-blah"? Even if someone's straw vote is no, they just point at the "unanimous" ballot. NDSU telling that to anyone seems curious (unless they thought they were off the record).

MankatoBison
04-04-2022, 05:25 PM

Or CUChicago, concordia Mequon (WI), or CuAnn Arbor!

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 05:26 PM
I'll disagree with you. Remember when NDSU was getting interested in going D1. It was Roger Thomas that seemed to be the guy most against the move by und. At least he seemed to be front man, the guy you read about in the papers. Kupchalla was probably unavailable for comment.

AD's hold more sway then you are giving them credit for.

Do we know the conversations between Kupchella and Thomas?

MankatoBison
04-04-2022, 05:28 PM
They were added because the MVC wanted to be a better basketball conference, so yeah that is kind of an issue.
augustana, Sioux Falls, MSU Mankato, Duluth, St thomas, St Johns would all be higher quality, and more exciting additions to the MVFC

I'm not saying those programs are exciting to me, I'm making a point of how NOT exciting f*cking murray state is. holy sh*t

Mr Meaty
04-04-2022, 05:30 PM
Aren't the "official" results, after a straw poll of the voters (showing majority or fail), always announced as " ... by unanimous ballot ... blah-blah"? Even if someone's straw vote is no, they just point at the "unanimous" ballot. NDSU telling that to anyone seems curious (unless they thought they were off the record).

The agreed to keep votes secret but Pres. B said he was going to tell his vote. What does he have to loose. lol

NDSU1980
04-04-2022, 05:36 PM
Do we know the conversations between Kupchella and Thomas?

No, but I sure remember how outspoken Thomas was on the subject. So you blame Kuppy for not pulling the trigger and moving when we did?

NDSU1980
04-04-2022, 05:42 PM

As I recall, when NDSU and SDSU applied to the old Gateway Conference it came out in the end that the initial vote was for admitting SDSU only and SDSU said take both or none. So it's not unheard of for the votes to be announced. I think we even knew who blackballed NDSU when we applied to the BSC

NDSUstudent
04-04-2022, 05:49 PM
Kuppy was an academic type that thought DI was going to be some kind of financial disaster, far from any kind of major DI proponent. Kind of freed RT up to say and do whatever he wanted in opposing the DI move.

PickedBess
04-04-2022, 05:57 PM
There is only 1 team in the Dakotas even remotely poised to move to FBS, be real

There is a lot of cash in the hands of UND alum. Why they haven't stepped up for athletic facilities is mysterious.
Academic funding some I guess if you can believe the UND Foundation. Where were the Alum when they were
cx500d ing the 40 buildings on campus.

Ralph Engelstad cared alot about UND Hockey. A gift the State doesn't seem to want. He passed away and the REA Foundation builds a nice but to small BB arena. No forward thinking.

Only University in the USA to require 2 tribe approval to keep a nickname.
So it's not surprising no one steps up for UND. It's Supernatural.

tony
04-04-2022, 06:03 PM

Where does the REA fit in on this org chart?

scottietohottie
04-04-2022, 06:21 PM
There is a lot of cash in the hands of UND alum. Why they haven't stepped up for athletic facilities is mysterious.
Academic funding some I guess if you can believe the UND Foundation. Where were the Alum when they were

Ralph Engelstad cared alot about UND Hockey. A gift the State doesn't seem to want. He passed away and the REA Foundation builds a nice but to small BB arena. No forward thinking.

Only University in the USA to require 2 tribe approval to keep a nickname.
So it's not surprising no one steps up for UND. It's Supernatural.

You should write a book about the troubles of your people bro. Sounds like a sad story.

scottietohottie
04-04-2022, 06:23 PM
Cash in hand can't give it away have to take mom to the casino today.

I just wrote the theme song for you bro! You're welcome.

El_Chapo
04-04-2022, 06:33 PM
I like this Murray State Fan's reaction:

Steven Peake
@StevenPeakeJr
Replying to
@dreamarlowe85

Whoa. NDSU is in this?

I'm guessing they don't like the automatic L.

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 06:39 PM
I like this Murray State Fan's reaction:

Steven Peake
@StevenPeakeJr
Replying to
@dreamarlowe85

Whoa. NDSU is in this?

I'm guessing they don't like the automatic L.

They'll be fine. They'll be in the division opposite NDSU.

ByeSonBusiness
04-04-2022, 06:55 PM

This is like Tulane joining the Big 12.

Murray State sucks but so does the MVFC.

Been saying for years the FCS doesn't take football seriously lol.

southcliffbison
04-04-2022, 06:55 PM

The conference already has claimed the Minneapolis/St. Paul market with the addition of St. Tom; Concordia of Moorhead......MVFC needs that Moorhead market.........purple, purple

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 06:56 PM
Where does the REA fit in on this org chart?

The REA keeps the lights on.

(If you read that as Engelstad Arena or Rural Electric Admin, it works either way! :) )

The_Sicatoka
04-04-2022, 06:57 PM
Or CUChicago, concordia Mequon (WI), or CuAnn Arbor!

Does anyone play football in Ann Arbor?

PickedBess
04-04-2022, 07:14 PM
You should write a book about the troubles of your people bro. Sounds like a sad story.

What you mean you people.

I appreciate the free speech given to me here on Chapo_Vill. With 100,00 posts he's earned that title.
You guys are like the Democrats no the Republicans. You have your little spats but moving SU forward to bigger and brighter things you all pretty much vote the same way.

Now Siouxsports are they company guys? Do they call a spade a spade and question things? A lot,not all on Siouxsports are the complete opposite of the posters on Chapo_Vill. Crickets when bad things news happens to UND. There hasn't been one post about the FuFeng corn plant in 2 weeks. Not UND but they have a Community thread for a reason. And there's been a lot of news.

I've been reading this forum long enough to remember the Fund NDSU Equitably thread. Posters who thought SU was being under funded (screwed) and the posters here were not going to be silent about it.

The opposite is true in the Northern Valley.

scottietohottie
04-04-2022, 07:34 PM
What you mean you people.

Fhawkers. .

tjbison
04-04-2022, 07:42 PM
there is a lot of cash in the hands of und alum. Why they haven't stepped up for athletic facilities is mysterious.
Academic funding some i guess if you can believe the und foundation. Where were the alum when they were

Ralph engelstad cared alot about und hockey. A gift the state doesn't seem to want. He passed away and the rea foundation builds a nice but to small bb arena. No forward thinking.

Only university in the usa to require 2 tribe approval to keep a nickname.
So it's not surprising no one steps up for und. It's supernatural.

lol......lol

PickedBess
04-04-2022, 08:54 PM

Only One

There Can Only Be One

And It's Not You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooN9xdAgi5w

Herd
04-04-2022, 11:06 PM
So, both UND and USD were swallowed by the MVC. Now the Summit is going to say NO to the MVC? Give and take. Either needed to accept Murray or split.

tjbison
04-04-2022, 11:27 PM
So, both UND and USD were swallowed by the MVC. Now the Summit is going to say NO to the MVC? Give and take. Either needed to accept Murray or split.

Valley might not like how would follow the State schools.....

SDbison
04-05-2022, 12:22 AM
Move to FBS can't come soon enough.

KSBisonFan
04-05-2022, 12:35 AM
I hope we run up the score every time we play them. Lack of leadership by the MVFC unless they know something about teams leaving that we don't.

CAS4127
04-05-2022, 01:08 AM

NDSU shared publicly their objection to MURRY State, something UND would never do because they are in no position to do so.

You are used to pansy politics (which I’m sure you subscribe to). That’s not what happened here. NDSU is the power school in the MVFC, and we just sent a message we want out if this BS is gonna continue.

And what a game UND v. The MURRY State will be …. Likely for 1st to last place in the MVFC.

runtheoption
04-05-2022, 03:10 AM
YEAH FCS. Pretty much the only reason I renewed my season tix this year was to have first crack at seats for quarter and semi playoff games.

This is likely my last year. Maybe the MVFC and the Big Sky should say screw the FCS playoffs like the HBCU, and have a 8-12 team playoff with just our conferences. Play the championship in Denver.

slips
04-05-2022, 04:36 AM
More wins for the already bottom dwellers of the MVFC I guess. Geographically makes sense I guess but from a competitive standpoint major fail!

IndyBison
04-05-2022, 04:59 AM
If conferences only invited the next teams a really good team would finish in last place. Murray State fits the footprint. It fits academically. It likely fits from a budget standpoint. They obviously have a very good basketball program which is the tie to the MVC. MVFC is obviously a close cousin and they needed a spot. Within 3.5 hours of Memphis, Nashville, Louisville and St. Louis. Maybe recruiting into the MVFC will improve their football program. Just like MSU and SIU with the right coach they could have a good team.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NDSU92
04-05-2022, 10:30 AM
If conferences only invited the next teams a really good team would finish in last place. Murray State fits the footprint. It fits academically. It likely fits from a budget standpoint. They obviously have a very good basketball program which is the tie to the MVC. MVFC is obviously a close cousin and they needed a spot. Within 3.5 hours of Memphis, Nashville, Louisville and St. Louis. Maybe recruiting into the MVFC will improve their football program. Just like MSU and SIU with the right coach they could have a good team.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Murray state is a spitting image of Indiana State (and the rest of the bottom of the conference for that matter). Former teacher’s college, sub $100M endowment, less than 8k undergrad, less than half the athletic budget of the top of the conference.

You’re right, Murray State fits in. It’s NDSU and SDSU that don’t.

tjamz
04-05-2022, 12:56 PM
Does anyone play football in Ann Arbor?

One could ask the same for Grand Forks.

The_Sicatoka
04-05-2022, 01:07 PM
You are used to pansy politics (which I’m sure you subscribe to). That’s not what happened here.

I'm used to showing a unified front after a knock-down drag-out argument in executive session.

What NDSU did they did; telling the group they were going to announce their vote was the right move.

But understand, someday NDSU might need Murray State's vote (like entrance to MVC for BB), and they just publicly disparaged Murray State. That was a poke at Murray, and the MVC, who is behind this move*. Academic administrators, Murray and others, notice and remember things like that.

*Murray is leaving the OVC for the MVC/MVFC.

The_Sicatoka
04-05-2022, 01:08 PM
One could ask the same for Grand Forks.

Some days I ask that.

MankatoBison
04-05-2022, 01:34 PM
Murray state is a spitting image of Indiana State (and the rest of the bottom of the conference for that matter). Former teacher’s college, sub $100M endowment, less than 8k undergrad, less than half the athletic budget of the top of the conference.

You’re right, Murray State fits in. It’s NDSU and SDSU that don’t.

Last time I said that, I got shadow banned for 2 weeks

scottietohottie
04-05-2022, 01:34 PM
Going to be real funny when Murray don't play ndsu and sdsu and make the playoffs while the fhawkers stay home. Then they'll be bitching 72 miles north of the Dome. Talking quality losses and shit.

Professor Chaos
04-05-2022, 02:02 PM
The whining about this on here is pretty much intolerable which seems to be a recurring theme with most Bisonville topics these days.

Anyway, I'll take the optimist's approach to this. First off, the MVFC is tough as nails already so adding a cupcake to give some easy wins isn't a big deal from my POV. The conference is in zero danger of falling from its perch as the alpha conference of the FCS until if/when somebody leaves. Second, having an even number of teams helps with scheduling since it doesn't mean we have to have weird bye weeks which gives more OOC scheduling flexibility since the MVFC can just schedule conference play for the last 8 weeks of the regular season giving teams more openings in September when most other teams are looking for OOC games.

The_Sicatoka
04-05-2022, 02:10 PM
So per InFoolem and McFooley, ...

MoState and WIU were yes.
NDSU (Dean B) was no.
Armacost at UND is respecting the private vote and not commenting. (When pressed against what is stated by McF below, that reads as UND was a no and Armacost just kept his mouth shut. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.)
Questions are out to the remaining.

What it came down to was what everyone paying attention suspected: The Missouri Valley Conference (the non-football league) members of the MVFC lobbied and pushed for Murray State to get a spot in the football league once the Racers were accepted for basketball and other sports in the MVC.

MVC: UNI, IlSU, InSU, MoSt, SIU (and WIU sided with this group) <-- there's six of eleven votes, done.
SL: UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU
Other: YSU (willing to bet they were a yes if they have MVC BB aspirations)

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised at the SD schools voting yes. Hoop (MVC) is their dream, so why go against what the existing MVC is pushing for.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-ndsu-voted-against-murray-state-joining-valley-football-conference-citing-number-of-concerns

The_Sicatoka
04-05-2022, 02:25 PM
Is Murray State to the MVFC pre-emptive of YSU looking east for football in the future.

Might this be the MVC doing the MVFC a favor? Crazy talk, yes, but crazier has happened.

southcliffbison
04-05-2022, 02:32 PM
Is Murray State to the MVFC pre-emptive of YSU looking east for football in the future.

Might this be the MVC doing the MVFC a favor? Crazy talk, yes, but crazier has happened.

Youngstown, Ohio is 1042 miles from Fargo; Murray, Kentucky is 1028 miles from Fargo. If YSU is looking east for football, why in the hell didn't Murray State look east? or stay where they're at?

Hammerhead
04-05-2022, 02:40 PM
Youngstown, Ohio is 1042 miles from Fargo; Murray, Kentucky is 1028 miles from Fargo. If YSU is looking east for football, why in the hell didn't Murray State look east? or stay where they're at?

Maybe the Missouri Valley was the preferred destination for the basketball teams since that seems to be their biggest sport and they didn't get any invites for football-only memberships to the east?

The_Sicatoka
04-05-2022, 02:55 PM

The map here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Football_Conference) showing school locations has your answer, and Murray wanted MVC BB.

BigLakeBison
04-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Murray State is a great add for the MVC and the member schools. It won't really negatively affect NDSU or the other Dakota Schools in football as it will be about a wash travel wise with MSU, SIU, ISU-B and YSU. That being said, it is another reminder that FCS is a basketball driven subdivision. This had nothing to do with football.

NDSUguy
04-05-2022, 03:53 PM
What's done is done. McFeely's right in saying that our most important sport resides in a basketball conference masquerading as a football conference. If there were any doubts of this in the past it is done now. The MVFC is the best FCS conference in the country only because of NDSU and SDSU. That's it. Without them they become what they always were a place for the basketball conference to park their teams.

We are not an athletic fit in the MVFC. My hope is this addition actually speeds up the FBS process. Knowing that future decisions will be decided upon solely by the MVC basketballs schools is not a good place to be in.

Kevin
04-05-2022, 04:28 PM
What's done is done. McFeely's right in saying that our most important sport resides in a basketball conference masquerading as a football conference. If there were any doubts of this in the past it is done now. The MVFC is the best FCS conference in the country only because of NDSU and SDSU. That's it. Without them they become what they always were a place for the basketball conference to park their teams.

We are not an athletic fit in the MVFC. My hope is this addition actually speeds up the FBS process. Knowing that future decisions will be decided upon solely by the MVC basketballs schools is not a good place to be in.

Stopped reading six words in bro.

I've put together a plan to get us into the MWC with Scottie. We just need someone with a nondescript van, a few rolls of duck tape, a couple of ski masks and about three other volunteers for a road trip.

If you're in, PM scottie.

The_Sicatoka
04-05-2022, 05:30 PM
We just need someone with a nondescript van ...

Maybe borrow the one Chapo uses to park outside senior centers trolling for grandmas?

Kevin
04-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Maybe borrow the one Chapo uses to park outside senior centers trolling for grandmas?

The one with "FREE HARD CANDY" spray painted on the side?

Sun Bison
04-05-2022, 07:29 PM
In what way did the MVC swallow UND and USD? MVFC wanted those schools and the summit swallowed them. The MVC has never added a school from the MVFC, the only ones who are MVFC and MVC were already memebers of the MVC before the creation of the MVFC. It's been almost 15 years since the MVFC was created and not one MVFC school has been added to the MVC.

----edit----
Sorry, just had a bad morning.

El_Chapo
04-05-2022, 07:30 PM
NDSU shouldve said. We will vote YES for a HOME & HOME basketball series every single year

Sun Bison correct. Patty V & Tom Doupler are clowns.

Honeybooboo
04-05-2022, 07:44 PM
I like turtles!!

Kevin
04-05-2022, 08:08 PM
I like turtles!!

yea but do turtles like u bro?

Hammersmith
04-05-2022, 09:18 PM
In what way did the MVC swallow UND and USD? MVFC wanted those schools and the summit swallowed them. The MVC has never added a school from the MVFC, the only ones who are MVFC and MVC were already memebers of the MVC before the creation of the MVFC. It's been almost 15 years since the MVFC was created and not one MVFC school has been added to the MVC.

----edit----
Sorry, just had a bad morning.

He meant the MVC members of the MVFC held their noses and swallowed USD and UND when the Summit members of the MVFC asked for them to be added. The Summit needed a home for USD football in order to keep them away from the Big Sky. Without at least USD, there was real doubt about the survival of the Summit. If the Summit had fallen apart, the Big Sky could have offered a home for NDSU and SDSU and those two would have had a hard time saying no. That would have killed the Summit, and forced WIU to beg for an OVC invite. The loss of NDSU, SDSU & WIU football would have seriously hurt the MVFC. When this was all explained to the MVC members in a series of desperate weekend phone calls, the MVC members agreed to allow USD to join. That killed the Big Sky's plan and eventually left UND asking to join the other Dakota 3. Probably for political reasons more than anything else, the Dakota 3(and maybe WIU) once again asked for a (soon to be) Summit school to be let into the MVFC. They once again held their nose and said yes. Is it really so outrageous for the MVC members to ask for a similar agreement when they now need a football home for one of their new members?

Yote 53
04-05-2022, 09:36 PM
He meant the MVC members of the MVFC held their noses and swallowed USD and UND when the Summit members of the MVFC asked for them to be added. The Summit needed a home for USD football in order to keep them away from the Big Sky. Without at least USD, there was real doubt about the survival of the Summit. If the Summit had fallen apart, the Big Sky could have offered a home for NDSU and SDSU and those two would have had a hard time saying no. That would have killed the Summit, and forced WIU to beg for an OVC invite. The loss of NDSU, SDSU & WIU football would have seriously hurt the MVFC. When this was all explained to the MVC members in a series of desperate weekend phone calls, the MVC members agreed to allow USD to join. That killed the Big Sky's plan and eventually left UND asking to join the other Dakota 3. Probably for political reasons more than anything else, the Dakota 3(and maybe WIU) once again asked for a (soon to be) Summit school to be let into the MVFC. They once again held their nose and said yes. Is it really so outrageous for the MVC members to ask for a similar agreement when they now need a football home for one of their new members?

No, it's not. But the MVC schools letting USD and UND in was a bit of self-preservation on their part. What exactly are the Summit schools getting out of admitting Murray State to the MVFC? Nothing. It's also pretty telling that none of us are good enough to be considered for the precious MVC but they have no problem sniffing around and flirting with the likes of UMKC and UNO from the Summit and you know dang well they will be all over St. Thomas before too long. It's kind of becoming a toxic relationship with the MVC. The Dakota schools aren't good enough for the MVC yet then resent us for taking over the top half of the football conference.

tjbison
04-05-2022, 11:43 PM
No, it's not. But the MVC schools letting USD and UND in was a bit of self-preservation on their part. What exactly are the Summit schools getting out of admitting Murray State to the MVFC? Nothing. It's also pretty telling that none of us are good enough to be considered for the precious MVC but they have no problem sniffing around and flirting with the likes of UMKC and UNO from the Summit and you know dang well they will be all over St. Thomas before too long. It's kind of becoming a toxic relationship with the MVC. The Dakota schools aren't good enough for the MVC yet then resent us for taking over the top half of the football conference.

Its becoming a toxic relationship for the state MVC vs Private also

CAS4127
04-05-2022, 11:47 PM

Solid - and perhaps part of the “no” vote put in by NDSU on Murdy State. Time to mix things up a bit.

Herd
04-06-2022, 12:27 AM

Wow, open your mind just a little. How did adding usd/Und to the MVFC benefit the MVC? It didn’t, at all. MVC preservation? No, not one iota.

The summit got its way with usd/Und over the MVC, and now the MVC is getting their way over the Summit. No, Murray doesn’t benefit the Summit teams at all. And neither did additional Dakota adds benefit the MVC, at all (all relative to football)

Bisonator98
04-06-2022, 02:03 PM
There's a huge difference between adding USD/UND and Murray State though, the level of commitment to FB just isn't there at Murray. They could and probably should have dropped schollies and went PL instead. They can't compete in the OVC no way they will in the MVFC. Adding USD/UND stabilized the Summit which in turn stabilized the MVFC, without the Summit there would have been 5 MVFC teams looking for a new home, not the case with adding Murray. They could have easily found a conference for their FB elsewhere.

NDSU1980
04-06-2022, 02:15 PM
There's a huge difference between adding USD/UND and Murray State though, the level of commitment to FB just isn't there at Murray. They could and probably should have dropped schollies and went PL instead. They can't compete in the OVC no way they will in the MVFC. Adding USD/UND stabilized the Summit which in turn stabilized the MVFC, without the Summit there would have been 5 MVFC teams looking for a new home, not the case with adding Murray. They could have easily found a conference for their FB elsewhere.

I suppose there was no way Murray could have stayed in the Ohio Valley as a football only member? At least then they could have maintained some of their historical rivalries.

Yote 53
04-06-2022, 02:34 PM
Wow, open your mind just a little. How did adding usd/Und to the MVFC benefit the MVC? It didn’t, at all. MVC preservation? No, not one iota.

The summit got its way with usd/Und over the MVC, and now the MVC is getting their way over the Summit. No, Murray doesn’t benefit the Summit teams at all. And neither did additional Dakota adds benefit the MVC, at all (all relative to football)

It was just explained in a prior post how it was self preservation on the MVC football schools part. USD goes to the Big Sky and the Summit starts crumbling. Next move would have been NDSU/SDSU to the Big Sky, that was their plan (the Big Sky's) all along. Then the Summit does fold. WIU is left homeless and moves to the OVC. Where does that all leave the MVFC? In pretty rough shape for the the football playing MVC schools. Admittedly, the MVC privates wouldn't care two craps about it and would probably view it as a good thing if the public schools de-emphasized their football programs, or scrapped them altogether. It was in those schools best interests of the MVC publics to admit USD, and once they took that step admitting UND wasn't that big of a stretch.

Kevin
04-06-2022, 03:43 PM
If we play in the big sky do we ever lose a game other than SDSU every few years?

NDSU92
04-06-2022, 03:53 PM
If we play in the big sky do we ever lose a game other than SDSU every few years?

Was our last non-SDSU conference loss really USD in 2015? My God...it's worse than I'd feared

Kevin
04-06-2022, 04:22 PM
Was our last non-SDSU conference loss really USD in 2015? My God...it's worse than I'd feared

lol we never lost to USD bro no recollection of it definitely never happened

southcliffbison
04-06-2022, 04:44 PM
Wow !! You must have had a high high that day.

JMB
04-06-2022, 04:48 PM

Well Southern Illinois in the spring season no one really counts except SHSU.

HerdBot
04-06-2022, 05:02 PM

UND and USD were solid adds, IMO. Many rivalry games between NDSU and SDSU. Good attendance. Decent facilities and certainly a commitment to upgrading facilities. The Dakota Dome upgrades and the new BB area are really nice plus UND is working on some good upgrades. Both teams have made the playoffs in football.

Murray brings nothing other than easy travel. They don't have historic rivalries, great facilities or a good history in football. They don't bring a big market either.

roadwarrior
04-06-2022, 05:07 PM
I just can't wait to go to this Murray place!

SDbison
04-06-2022, 06:11 PM
I expect an announcement about NDSU's move to an FBS conference in the next month or two. Definitely not going to be CUSA or MAC.

imabison
04-06-2022, 06:31 PM

I can see them now, all lined up and waving at the appearance of the almighty roadwarrior!!! All Hail!!

Professorbum
04-06-2022, 07:02 PM
I expect an announcement about NDSU's move to an FBS conference in the next month or two. Definitely not going to be CUSA or MAC.

I wish your expectation would come true. But there is not much reason to think this will happen, unfortunately.

acf2
04-06-2022, 08:45 PM
It makes no sense for NDSU to oppose the addition if they know they are leaving. Would think they would want to save some goodwill with the conference/schools and what difference does it make if NDSU is leaving?

NDSUguy
04-06-2022, 08:55 PM

why is this your expectation?

Bison Dan
04-06-2022, 08:56 PM
It makes no sense for NDSU to oppose the addition if they know they are leaving. Would think they would want to save some goodwill with the conference/schools and what difference does it make if NDSU is leaving?

This whole thing reminds me of the DII days. Trying to increase the playoffs to 24, bring in weak DII teams to FCS, the MVFC is beginning to follow what NCC did. Excellence be damned, participation ribbons are what counts. Hopefully we can move up soon.

DePereBisonFan
04-06-2022, 10:05 PM

Sarcasm, or no? Just curious.

We have an 11 game schedule this upcoming season. Will the addition make it 12 games this year? Or are they not members until a future year?

SamsRams
04-06-2022, 10:43 PM

Or like NDSU being invited to join any G5 conference?

SDbison
04-07-2022, 01:22 AM
Or like NDSU being invited to join any G5 conference? Why are you such a dick? NDSU belongs in FBS G5 conference and maybe even a P5 conference. Murray State belongs in DII or maybe the FCS Pioneer conference.

tjamz
04-07-2022, 01:38 AM
Stopped reading six words in bro.

I've put together a plan to get us into the MWC with Scottie. We just need someone with a nondescript van, a few rolls of duck tape, a couple of ski masks and about three other volunteers for a road trip.

If you're in, PM scottie.

You know who to call if you need cheap, undocumented labor bro.

cx500d
04-07-2022, 02:39 AM
This whole thing reminds me of the DII days. Trying to increase the playoffs to 24, bring in weak DII teams to FCS, the MVFC is beginning to follow what NCC did. Excellence be damned, participation ribbons are what counts. Hopefully we can move up soon.

Isn't that what FBS bowl games are?

SamsRams
04-07-2022, 08:25 AM
Why are you such a dick? NDSU belongs in FBS G5 conference and maybe even a P5 conference. Murray State belongs in DII or maybe the FCS Pioneer conference.

Why are so sensitive?

You know the old saying,
Belong in one had and shxt in the other. see which fills up first

KSBisonFan
04-07-2022, 11:35 AM

We have an 11 game schedule this upcoming season. Will the addition make it 12 games this year? Or are they not members until a future year?

They become members for the 2023 season.

The_Sicatoka
04-07-2022, 12:26 PM

It makes no sense to burn goodwill with the old conference: You might need non-conference games in the future.

scottietohottie
04-07-2022, 12:41 PM
It makes no sense to burn goodwill with the old conference: You might need non-conference games in the future.

Bahahahaha. Speaking from experience? Is that what happens when big brother ignores you for over ten years? Become an expert on goodwill.

MankatoBison
04-07-2022, 01:17 PM

Goodness, I hope youre right.... but theres no way. No one would be more excited than me, but no one would be more shocked as well, lol.

NDSU1980
04-07-2022, 01:30 PM

Yea, just like Roger Thomas calling a press conference to announce un_ wouldn't play NDSU when we went D1.

gavin2126
04-07-2022, 06:05 PM

No there won't be a 12th game. 12 game schedules happen on years that have an extra Saturday between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Essentially if Labor Day is on the 1st or 2nd there's an opportunity for a 12 game schedule.

Minimum8Pete
04-07-2022, 06:57 PM
Goodness, I hope youre right.... but theres no way. No one would be more excited than me, but no one would be more shocked as well, lol.

I think ur actually over selling the chances by only saying 'no way'. As long as larson is here, we have a greater chance of moving down than moving up.

El_Chapo
04-07-2022, 07:18 PM
I think ur actually over selling the chances by only saying 'no way'. As long as larson is here, we have a greater chance of moving down than moving up.

Stony Brook of the North!!

The_Sicatoka
04-07-2022, 07:36 PM
Yea, just like Roger Thomas calling a press conference to announce un_ wouldn't play NDSU when we went D1.

That was poor form by RT (and by his boss allowing it).

The good news? The new UND president (Armacost) was smart enough to give the "respect the private vote" answer to McFeely.

Buthockey
04-07-2022, 07:41 PM
Why are so sensitive?

You know the old saying,
Belong in one had and shxt in the other. see which fills up first

Fixed your username for you eh..

NDSU92
04-07-2022, 08:28 PM
That was poor form by RT (and by his boss allowing it).

The good news? The new UND president (Armacost) was smart enough to give the "respect the private vote" answer to McFeely.

Yeah it's pretty common for leadership of apathetic organizations to be free from expectations of explaining their actions.

Not like the Valley is going to kick us out for going public with our opinion on Murray State's lack of competitiveness. Even if they did it probably plays into our hands. Generate hype by getting "St. Thomased" out of our conference into a move up to FBS. Win-Win

tony
04-07-2022, 08:47 PM
Yeah it's pretty common for leadership of apathetic organizations to be free from expectations of explaining their actions.

Not like the Valley is going to kick us out for going public with our opinion on Murray State's lack of competitiveness. Even if they did it probably plays into our hands. Generate hype by getting "St. Thomased" out of our conference into a move up to FBS. Win-Win

It's almost like NDSU's AD decided that NDSU's constituents' right to know something outweighed the MVFC's desire to keep stuff secret. UND made the opposite determination. I don't care as long as the MVFC doesn't put a UND person on the playoff selection committee before NDSU leaves.

NDSU1980
04-07-2022, 11:02 PM
It's almost like NDSU's AD decided that NDSU's constituents' right to know something outweighed the MVFC's desire to keep stuff secret. UND made the opposite determination. I don't care as long as the MVFC doesn't put a UND person on the playoff selection committee before NDSU leaves.

It would be nice if our AD would decide to let us know what he's doing about moving up to FBS. It's really odd what they keep secret and what they announce to the public

NovaBison
04-07-2022, 11:11 PM
It would be nice if our AD would decide to let us know what he's doing about moving up to FBS. It's really odd what they keep secret and what they announce to the public

Yup... you'd think they'd do one of those "feasibility" studies about moving up... at least that would signal some interest that we are interested

tony
04-08-2022, 12:07 AM

What would you like him to do publicly that you think would help get NDSU into an FBS conference? Every time Chapo talks about this, it sounds like he wants our AD to go around from conference to conference in a clown car to put on a "You want the Bison" traveling show.

Just about every time a conference adds a new member, we hear about the day that the new member is announced - unless there are site visits first (and that usually means it's a done deal.) And I don't think that FBS conferences even do site visits because they know what's out there.

I've got no problem with a feasibility study though. As far as I'm concerned there are only two options: MAC and MWC, and those are all-sports conferences.

NDSU1980
04-08-2022, 12:38 AM
What would you like him to do publicly that you think would help get NDSU into an FBS conference? Every time Chapo talks about this, it sounds like he wants our AD to go around from conference to conference in a clown car to put on a "You want the Bison" traveling show.

Just about every time a conference adds a new member, we hear about the day that the new member is announced - unless there are site visits first (and that usually means it's a done deal.) And I don't think that FBS conferences even do site visits because they know what's out there.

I've got no problem with a feasibility study though. As far as I'm concerned there are only two options: MAC and MWC, and those are all-sports conferences.

I just want Matt Larsen to come clean and tell us what's he's actually TRIED to accomplish with going FBS. That's the least he can do for us. Tell us who's he contacted and tell us why he "supposedly" avoided contacting CUSA. A little honesty would go a long ways. Has Larsen done anything or nothing?

TAILG8R
04-08-2022, 01:12 AM
It's almost like NDSU's AD decided that NDSU's constituents' right to know something outweighed the MVFC's desire to keep stuff secret. UND made the opposite determination. I don't care as long as the MVFC doesn't put a UND person on the playoff selection committee before NDSU leaves.This 100%

Kevin
04-08-2022, 01:14 AM

Three words: fbs independent

OrygunBison
04-08-2022, 02:24 AM
I just want Matt Larsen to come clean and tell us what's he's actually TRIED to accomplish with going FBS. That's the least he can do for us. Tell us who's he contacted and tell us why he "supposedly" avoided contacting CUSA. A little honesty would go a long ways. Has Larsen done anything or nothing?

I understand that waiting for this is incredibly frustrating. I'm frustrated as well. That said, I sure hope to hell that ML keeps his trap shut until a deal is final. Say Conferences A, B, and C are all considering adding NDSU, it certainly would not be good for them to know the goods about the interactions that NDSU is having with their counterparts.

56BISON73
04-08-2022, 03:08 AM

You dont listen very well.

scottietohottie
04-08-2022, 03:28 AM

What?????????

Kevin
04-08-2022, 04:10 AM
What?????????

I said give me a hell yeah

Kevin
04-08-2022, 04:22 AM
Scottie 3:16 says I just sold you meth

scottietohottie
04-08-2022, 11:41 AM
You smell that rock cooking?

BigHorns
04-08-2022, 12:32 PM

Big 12 and AAC have made a few site visits that didn't result in invites. In a couple cases like with USF, the Big 12 sent the school a "punch list" of items they should work on to be a viable candidate later. A site visit does indicate strong interest.

Feasibility studies rarely reveal anything new that the school doesn't know. Consultants will write a report justifying what the people paying for the report want the outcome to be. They are mostly useful for getting institutional / board support for moving a certain direction. Not sure we need that, if the right opportunity comes, NDSU will take it.

NDSU1980
04-08-2022, 01:21 PM

I'm all ears. Tell me what you know PL.

BigLakeBison
04-08-2022, 01:29 PM
Big 12 and AAC have made a few site visits that didn't result in invites. In a couple cases like with USF, the Big 12 sent the school a "punch list" of items they should work on to be a viable candidate later. A site visit does indicate strong interest.

Feasibility studies rarely reveal anything new that the school doesn't know. Consultants will write a report justifying what the people paying for the report want the outcome to be. They are mostly useful for getting institutional / board support for moving a certain direction. Not sure we need that, if the right opportunity comes, NDSU will take it.

I agree that a public PR campaign to the conferences is useless and serves no purpose. Those dealings are best dealt with quietly. However, the PR campaign is to bolster the community support that is both necessary to maintain our current support while in FCS and hopefully increase it to make a move to FBS possible. Maybe a formal feasibility study isn't necessary but it would signal that there is a greater desire to move to the FBS. If not a formal feasibility study, than a public acknowledgement to the fanbase that the continued investment in football above our peers is with the definite intent of securing an FBS invite.

El_Chapo
04-08-2022, 01:46 PM
I'm all ears. Tell me what you know PL.

Boomer likes to be lied to ... its ok. Stony Brook is great at that, same message for 4 years now. He is just happy to be here & ride coattails, status quo, take YOUR tax money and he'll go back to the East Coast when things get tough

The_Sicatoka
04-08-2022, 02:18 PM
It's almost like NDSU's AD decided that NDSU's constituents' right to know something outweighed ...

What would you like him to do publicly that you think would help get NDSU into an FBS conference?

... to come clean and tell us what's he's actually TRIED to accomplish ...

Do NDSU constituents' rights to know something related to conferences and conference matters only apply to certain things, and not others?

NDSU1980's asks seems no more detrimental than admitting a no vote on Murray State: It would be saying what they're for, rather than who they're against, and that seems more positive for NDSU.

tony
04-08-2022, 02:24 PM
Do NDSU constituents' rights to know something related to conferences and conference matters only apply to certain things, and not others?

NDSU1980's asks seems no more detrimental than admitting a no vote on Murray State: It would be saying what they're for, rather than who they're against, and that seems more positive for NDSU.

What "seems to you" doesn't matter to me because I don't value or trust your judgment on anything to do with athletics and especially not NDSU.

What exactly is your track record for insights into DI? You sure didn't want NDSU to go DI - and you lauded UND's "cautious" approach to looking at DI that involved badmouthing DI, not doing a feasibility study, conducting surveys that showed there wasn't majority support for a move, suddenly going DI without a conference, and then dropping a lot of programs.

NDSU made going DI look easy by doing a lot of boring behind-the-scenes stuff that UND decided they didn't need to do and, as a result, UND strutted in like they were going to own the place and instead turned into a cautionary tale of how not to do it.

The_Sicatoka
04-08-2022, 02:38 PM
So publicly disparaging Murray State, proclaiming your no vote to upstage the MVC portion of the MVFC, is exemplar of how to get things done. I disagree.

Being well versed in DI and doing a lot of boring behind-the-scenes stuff, why didn't NDSU keep Murray State at bay and never coming to a vote.

NDSU92
04-08-2022, 02:59 PM
Tony yielding the truth like a flamethrower this morning. Everybody mind your eyebrows

Blows my mind that UND fans still don't see the hilarity of coming here to discuss D1, political positioning, conference realignment, etc. Your school has gotten it wrong every single step of the way since 2004. 17 years of wandering and stumbling over your own feet to try to keep up with big brother.

And then come here to throw mud at NDSU of all schools lol

Hansel
04-08-2022, 03:02 PM
...UND strutted in like they were going to own the place and instead turned into a cautionary tale of how not to do it.

UND also killed 2 conferences on their way out (NCC and WCHA)

tony
04-08-2022, 03:07 PM
So publicly disparaging Murray State, proclaiming your no vote to upstage the MVC portion of the MVFC, is exemplar of how to get things done. I disagree.

Being well versed in DI and doing a lot of boring behind-the-scenes stuff, why didn't NDSU keep Murray State at bay and never coming to a vote.

Man, as tempting as it may be, I'm not going to blame UND for the complete lack of logic in your post - the Dunning-Kruger Effect afflicts almost everybody to some extent - in yours, to extraordinary (and obnoxiously smarmy) degree.

What did Bresciani say to disparage Murray State? He just said he voted no, citing a number of undisclosed concerns. A non-idiot might conclude that his concerns were travel, that they aren't a peer school, and/or they are terrible at football which is, after all, the raison d'être for the conference. Do you dispute any of this?
How did NDSU upstage MVFC? Bresciani told them he was going to make his vote public and NDSU is a full member with the right to vote as they see fit.
NDSU can only control what is in their power - and when NDSU focuses on what NDSU can control, it has accomplished extraordinary things. Getting a conference invite is almost totally out of NDSU's control with all the power on the inviting conference's side. All NDSU can do is find out what conferences are looking for and build up the areas that they can - that's the behind-the-scenes stuff (which I think NDSU has been making progress on.)

oldmantutters
04-08-2022, 03:22 PM
Man, as tempting as it may be, I'm not going to blame UND for the complete lack of logic in your post - the Dunning-Kruger Effect afflicts almost everybody to some extent - in yours, to extraordinary (and obnoxiously smarmy) degree.

What did Bresciani say to disparage Murray State? He just said he voted no, citing a number of undisclosed concerns. A non-idiot might conclude that his concerns were travel, that they aren't a peer school, and/or they are terrible at football which is, after all, the raison d'être for the conference. Do you dispute any of this?
How did NDSU upstage MVFC? Bresciani told them he was going to make his vote public and NDSU is a full member with the right to vote as they see fit.
NDSU can only control what is in their power - and when NDSU focuses on what NDSU can control, it has accomplished extraordinary things. Getting a conference invite is almost totally out of NDSU's control with all the power on the inviting conference's side. All NDSU can do is find out what conference's are looking for and build up the areas that they can - that's the behind-the-scenes stuff.
I don't want this to be political, but it seems like over the past few years that people have forgotten what a vote is. A vote is simply a choice between one or more candidates or courses of action. NDSU voted that it was in their best interest to not allow Murray State into the MVFC. It doesn't need to be some shot at Murray State. NDSU was simply outvoted and when asked about how NDSU voted, he answered the question. NDSU will now be in the same conference as Murray State and hopefully they meant what they said about raising their level of commitment to football. A lot like NDSU did once they were admitted to the MVFC. I'd argue that it might light more of a fire under MSU to know there are institutions that may doubt that they have what it takes to be a respectable member.

Hell I'd argue that maybe UND was given too easy entry into the conference and they felt entitled to be in the conference. A bit of complacency may have set in.

Just spit balling here.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

southcliffbison
04-08-2022, 03:45 PM
Now that there will be two MSU's the MVFC, how are we are to differentiate between the two? We have ISU red and ISU blue. Someone take this ball and run with it.....what are Murray's colors and what are Missouri State's ?

Kevin
04-08-2022, 03:46 PM
Now that there will be two MSU's the MVFC, how are we are to differentiate between the two? We have ISU red and ISU blue. Someone take this ball and run with it.....what are Murray's colors and what are Missouri State's ?

MSU-Bad and MSU-Worse

TAILG8R
04-08-2022, 04:20 PM

https://blog.bluetriangle.com/hs-fs/hubfs/Imported_Blog_Media/Not-so-fast-my-friend.jpg?width=600&name=Not-so-fast-my-friend.jpg

Current MSU has been chatting with the Sun Belt.

tony
04-08-2022, 04:55 PM

Old MSU: Maroon and White
New MSU: Blue and Gold (and White)

AFAIC, Missouri State owns MSU so I'm leaning towards MSU-2.

Kevin
04-08-2022, 05:26 PM
Old MSU: Maroon and White
New MSU: Blue and Gold (and White)

AFAIC, Missouri State owns MSU so I'm leaning towards MSU-2.

sorry bro as Keeper of Memes and starter of Post Game Threads I've already minted MSU-Bad and MSU-Worse.

tony
04-08-2022, 05:29 PM
sorry bro as Keeper of Memes and starter of Post Game Threads I've already minted MSU-Bad and MSU-Worse.

It is settled then.

But Original MSU has been given NDSU all it can handle lately (in their defense.)

Kevin
04-08-2022, 05:38 PM
It is settled then.

But Original MSU has been given NDSU all it can handle lately (in their defense.)

Much like the USD alleged loss in 2015 I have no recollection of this.

Nor have I been able to find any proof that isn't produced by russian bot farms.

EC8CH
04-08-2022, 05:39 PM

Which is which though?

Kevin
04-08-2022, 05:45 PM
Which is which though?

Yes.

ten tyrannical characters

tony
04-08-2022, 06:15 PM
Lost in all this is that an FBS MFVC is the only FBS option that NDSU has a measure of direct control over. Adding a non-Midwest school that is not committed to football hurts the chances of that ever happening - not that it was ever that likely (still considerably more likely than a football-only invite from the MWC or MAC though, imo.)

Maybe Murray State will prove me wrong though.

BigHorns
04-08-2022, 06:26 PM
Missouri St has been rumored recently to be in discussions with the MAC and SBC to be added along with WKU.
Its possible we will only have one MSU in a year or two.

An interesting podcast, its a bit long, but mentions realignment moves along with the MVFC and MSU.

https://youtu.be/08HPS7Pm9GA

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-08-2022, 06:32 PM
Lost in all this is that an FBS MFVC is the only FBS option that NDSU has a measure of direct control over. Adding a non-Midwest school that is not committed to football hurts the chances of that ever happening - not that it was ever that likely (still considerably more likely than a football-only invite from the MWC or MAC though, imo.).

I think you are wrong here, for the record. Geography isn't as big a deal as people are making it out to be and NDSU is actually very attractive on several levels (timezone, R1, central location, not to mention - wait for it - FB prowess). I don't think they were serious about FBS until quite recently, and I predict an attractive move in the near future.

I sense your resistance to FBS, but I think you'll come around, and I don't think you'll miss playing the Dakota schools, fwiw.

There was never any chance of the whole MVFC moving up. Zero. Maybe the conference could have sued to go up, but that would have required the majority of schools to be FBS ready, and only one is ready and has ambitions to do so. After D1 restructuring is done, I will also predict that such a whole-conference move will become impossible.

Professorbum
04-08-2022, 06:40 PM
I think you are wrong here, for the record. Geography isn't as big a deal as people are making it out to be and NDSU is actually very attractive on several levels (timezone, R1, central location, not to mention - wait for it - FB prowess). I don't think they were serious about FBS until quite recently, and I predict an attractive move in the near future.

I sense your resistance to FBS, but I think you'll come around, and I don't think you'll miss playing the Dakota schools, fwiw.

There was never any chance of the whole MVFC moving up. Zero. Maybe the conference could have sued to go up, but that would have required the majority of schools to be FBS ready, and only one is ready and has ambitions to do so. After D1 restructuring is done, I will also predict that such a whole-conference move will become impossible.

You're probably right about that. And it was damn short-sighted on DB's and ML's part to not become serious about it sooner. I like DB and he's been generally a good leader. But he has totally dropped the ball on NDSU football. He blew it. Period.

tony
04-08-2022, 06:56 PM

I have no resistance to NDSU going FBS, but you don't go FBS, you get invited. In the meantime, is not smart to burn the bridge we're standing on.

I am a huge opponent of of shitting on the FCS - this is not D2. We don't have 10+ NAIA teams in our area jumping into DI. We don't have FCS lowering scholarships. We don't have a playoff system designed exclusively around regionalization. We aren't constantly getting boned by playoff committees. We do have peer institutions in our region, and as far as I know, none of the schools moving to the G5 are NDSU's academic peers. Nationally, sure, there are iffy schools moving up, but I think college sports are regional and that's why I think location is important. Moreover, NDSU is kicking ass in the FCS and I am enjoying every minute I can because it won't last forever.

BigLakeBison
04-08-2022, 07:02 PM
Lost in all this is that an FBS MFVC is the only FBS option that NDSU has a measure of direct control over. Adding a non-Midwest school that is not committed to football hurts the chances of that ever happening - not that it was ever that likely (still considerably more likely than a football-only invite from the MWC or MAC though, imo.)

Maybe Murray State will prove me wrong though.

The main reason why NDSU is in opposition to Murray State is that it further illustrates that the MVFC has no greater aspirations for football. The majority of member institutions have long ago decided that they are content controlling football costs in FCS so that they can fund their basketball programs at a higher level. NDSU does not follow that same script and I think we were all hoping that the MVFC would want to follow our lead and elevate their football programs and push for more as a group. Murray State being added further signifies that the MVC schools have 0 desire to do that.

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-08-2022, 07:05 PM
I have no resistance to NDSU going DI. I think it is stupid to burn the bridge we're standing on though. I am a huge opponent of of shitting on the FCS - this is not D2. We don't have 10+ NAIA teams in our area jumping into DI. We don't have FCS lowering scholarships. We don't have a playoff system designed exclusively around regionalization. We have peer institutions - as far as I know, none of the schools moving up are remotely NDSU's academic peers. Nationally, there are iffy schools moving up, but I think college sports are regional and that's why I think location is important.

Did we actually do this tho?

Looking beyond FB, NDSU stands out in the MVFC as a research school, better than many G5s. You won't hear that around here though, and you and I both know why ;)

FCS is great. The problem is that NDSU has outgrown it. Listen to Herder's latest thoughts - "maybe NDSU leaving would be good for FCS". He was on 1660 yesterday

Schools don't get an FBS "invite" until it is clear that they want one. Even then, they have to do some work. I stand by my statement that from an admin perspective (forget about fans, especially those on chat forums) NDSU is an attractive target for FBS (the only one in the MVFC, in fact, which we know is the best FCS conference).

"Regional" scales with conference status. I would rather play JMU than UND, and there is no debate on that question.

tony
04-08-2022, 07:09 PM
"Regional" scales with conference status. I would rather play JMU than UND, and there is no debate on that question.

On the flip side, I had no idea JMU existed until we saw their pretty average squad in 2011. I didn't really give them another thought until 2016. Now that they're gone, they are off my radar completely (well, almost completely.)

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-08-2022, 07:12 PM
On the flip side, when NDSU moved to DI, I had no idea JMU existed. And after seeing them in 2011, I didn't really give them another thought until 2016. Now that they're gone, they are off my radar completely (well, almost completely.)

Here's hoping they come back soon. Cheers

Professorbum
04-08-2022, 07:14 PM
On the flip side, I had no idea JMU existed until we saw their pretty average squad in 2011. I didn't really give them another thought until 2016. Now that they're gone, they are off my radar completely (well, almost completely.)

And we are off theirs, because we play in a lower division that, like it or not, is seen as the kiddy table in college football.

Hammerhead
04-08-2022, 07:19 PM
The main reason why NDSU is in opposition to Murray State is that it further illustrates that the MVFC has no greater aspirations for football. The majority of member institutions have long ago decided that they are content controlling football costs in FCS so that they can fund their basketball programs at a higher level. NDSU does not follow that same script and I think we were all hoping that the MVFC would want to follow our lead and elevate their football programs and push for more as a group. Murray State being added further signifies that the MVC schools have 0 desire to do that.

Even without NDSU, the MVFC would be a one of the top 3-4 conferences in the FCS. The MVFC only had three teams with Sagarin ratings of 150 or lower while half of the Big Sky was below (or is it above?) 150 and 4 of those were below the last place team in our conference.

tony
04-08-2022, 07:34 PM
And we are off theirs, because we play in a lower division that, like it or not, is seen as the kiddy table in college football.

I think most college football fans view NDSU on its own merits rather than the FCS's. NDSU has established a pretty good stand-alone brand, and no reasonably knowledgeable college football person thinks NDSU wouldn't beat most G5 teams right now.

BigLakeBison
04-08-2022, 07:34 PM
Even without NDSU, the MVFC would be a one of the top 3-4 conferences in the FCS. The MVFC only had three teams with Sagarin ratings of 150 or lower while half of the Big Sky was below (or is it above?) 150 and 4 of those were below the last place team in our conference.

Yep and they are content with that. They don't aspire to be anything more from a football standpoint than what they were before we joined. The group doesn't aspire to FBS. They believe their path to national brand recognition is through their basketball programs. Murray State being added is further evidence of that. NDSU's athletic department doesn't follow that. Our FB program leads the way and I think the realization is starting to set in that the growth potential for football in FCS is either at the peak or damn close.

BigLakeBison
04-08-2022, 07:40 PM
I think most college football fans view NDSU on its own merits rather than the FCS's. NDSU has established a pretty good stand-alone brand, and no reasonably knowledgeable college football person thinks NDSU wouldn't beat most G5 teams right now.

Yes, it can be argued that NDSU has created more brand recognition than any other program in the history of FCS. The question is where does it go from here?

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-08-2022, 07:41 PM
Yes, it can be argued that NDSU has created more brand recognition than any other program in the history of FCS. The question is where does it go from here?

and I would say the answer is obvious

tony
04-08-2022, 08:01 PM

That's the problem - NDSU can only go where we're invited. Going from D2 to DI, we took a big chance and made the jump without a conference. That makes much less sense at the G5 level, even though their bowl tie-ins are garbage, they at least have bowl tie-ins.

IMO, the best ways to garner interest from G5 conferences are to continue dominating in football, ramp up basketball, increase enrollment, and improve our academic standing. That's what I mean by "doing the tough work behind the scenes" - NDSU is certainly showing that they're committed on the football and facilities front.

Professorbum
04-08-2022, 08:10 PM
That's the problem - NDSU can only go where we're invited. Going from D2 to DI, we took a big chance and made the jump without a conference. That makes much less sense at the G5 level, even though their bowl tie-ins are garbage, they at least have bowl tie-ins.

IMO, the best ways to garner interest from G5 conferences are to continue dominating in football, ramp up basketball, increase enrollment, and improve our academic standing. That's what I mean by "doing the tough work behind the scenes" - NDSU is certainly showing that they're committed on the football and facilities front.

You forgot to list "answer the phone when an FBS conference calls" (CUSA).

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-08-2022, 08:11 PM

You generate a misperception by saying this, unfortunately. People start thinking that NDSU just has to keep on its merry way and the invite will come in the mail, but I am pretty sure that's not how this works.

You will never get an FBS invite without "asking" for it on some level.

BigLakeBison
04-08-2022, 08:32 PM

Where we go from here isn’t solely a question of FBS. The existence of FCS is about basketball yet our administration hasn’t shown the investment in those programs yet. If you are in fact correct that FBS is outside of our control, than increasing football spending before an invite seems illogical. Yet, all signs point to that being the predominate program where increased funding is going. I’m sure I should ask PL’s permission before repeating myself but FCS is intended for schools who want to control football costs so they can have a more balanced ath. Dept. budget. If we buck that model and bitch about others not following us, that’s our fault. Not the rest of the FCS.

Elvis was a Bison
04-08-2022, 09:18 PM
How about we take all this FBS talk to the thread that is about..... well, FBS.

I want to have more discussion about this hillbilly clan called Murray State. Like, do they have any direct descendants of Daniel Boone on the team? How many sets of cousins? Do they issue every player a tooth guard, or do they share them between themselves? You know, the important stuff!

bisonaudit
04-08-2022, 11:16 PM
Where we go from here isn’t solely a question of FBS. The existence of FCS is about basketball yet our administration hasn’t shown the investment in those programs yet. If you are in fact correct that FBS is outside of our control, than increasing football spending before an invite seems illogical. Yet, all signs point to that being the predominate program where increased funding is going. I’m sure I should ask PL’s permission before repeating myself but FCS is intended for schools who want to control football costs so they can have a more balanced ath. Dept. budget. If we buck that model and bitch about others not following us, that’s our fault. Not the rest of the FCS.

I’m not sure why your pretending that the G5 are any different when it come to attitude about football v basketball. I’m sure there are exceptions just like us and a few others at this level but mostly they don’t give a shit either.

BigLakeBison
04-09-2022, 12:20 AM
I’m not sure why your pretending that the G5 are any different when it come to attitude about football v basketball. I’m sure there are exceptions just like us and a few others at this level but mostly they don’t give a shit either.

The average G5 football program budget far exceeds the average FCS budget. The top half of the Sunbelt, AAC, MWC all definitely give a shit about football and their budgets and facilities show that. NDSU and a handful of other FCS teams have on the field talent on par with the G5 but don’t kid yourself into thinking the FCS and G5 are equal.

unbison
04-09-2022, 12:36 AM
The average G5 football program budget far exceeds the average FCS budget. The top half of the Sunbelt, AAC, MWC all definitely give a shit about football and their budgets and facilities show that. NDSU and a handful of other FCS teams have on the field talent on par with the G5 but don’t kid yourself into thinking the FCS and G5 are equal.

Dam I like this guy

bisonaudit
04-09-2022, 12:40 AM

Of course they aren’t equal. I just think that if you think moving up will get us to some football paradise you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. That’s not a reason not to move up. Let’s just be real about the level we’re moving to. If basketball schools are a problem for you the G5 are not a solution to that problem.

BigLakeBison
04-09-2022, 12:59 AM
Of course they aren’t equal. I just think that if you think moving up will get us to some football paradise you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. That’s not a reason not to move up. Let’s just be real about the level we’re moving to. If basketball schools are a problem for you the G5 are not a solution to that problem.

Never said G5 was a paradise. I’m completely realistic about our place in the pecking order of college football. I’d also add, I don’t have any problem with the FCS or the fact it is made up of basketball schools. I actually think it is a very smart strategy to maximize their return on their ath. Dept investments. I personally want NDSU to move to FBS because I think it will allow the football team to reach its full potential at the highest level of college football. However, I am also would be in support of following the more traditional FCS model and funding our basketball programs at a higher level by keeping football costs more in line with our peers in FCS. What I have the biggest problem with is the fact that we seem to be doing neither. If the current plan is more sophisticated than that, I’m all ears but I have yet to hear anyone explain our current actions in a way that addresses any of these items.

scottietohottie
04-09-2022, 02:04 AM

I was told all posters will be 3 inches taller when we go fbs bro.

unbison
04-09-2022, 02:12 AM

Chape gets 6 so he can be over 6’

El_Chapo
04-09-2022, 04:10 AM
It is settled then.

Misery State
Murray State

El_Chapo
04-09-2022, 04:13 AM

FBS puts NDSU WAY ABOVE The Dakota Schools, Montana Schools, UNI
We use them as our farm teams and hold a higher prestigious hat than we already have on them. Plus we fight with Big 10, Big 12 for recruits too

Travel is BS excuse, so for football you fly maybe 1 hour longer every other year as a member by adding ndsu. big deal

NDSU92
04-09-2022, 04:42 AM

Only while lying on our backs

BISONBRI53
04-09-2022, 02:14 PM

So Lakes will be 5'3"? No wonder he wants this so bad!

mtoutfitter
04-09-2022, 02:37 PM
So Lakes will be 5'3"? No wonder he wants this so bad!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::judges:

PickedBess
04-09-2022, 06:55 PM

NDSU can only control what is in their power - and when NDSU focuses on what NDSU can control, it has accomplished extraordinary things. Getting a conference invite is almost totally out of NDSU's control with all the power on the inviting conference's side. All NDSU can do is find out what conferences are looking for and build up the areas that they can - that's the behind-the-scenes stuff (which I think NDSU has been making progress on.)

Take it easy on the_Sicatoka. He has people he has to answer to. Don't we all?
His job performance must be cutting the mustard. Or he would have been replaced.

PickedBess
04-09-2022, 07:04 PM
What "seems to you" doesn't matter to me because I don't value or trust your judgment on anything to do with athletics and especially not NDSU.

What exactly is your track record for insights into DI? You sure didn't want NDSU to go DI - and you lauded UND's "cautious" approach to looking at DI that involved badmouthing DI, not doing a feasibility study, conducting surveys that showed there wasn't majority support for a move, suddenly going DI without a conference, and then dropping a lot of programs.

NDSU made going DI look easy by doing a lot of boring behind-the-scenes stuff that UND decided they didn't need to do and, as a result, UND strutted in like they were going to own the place and instead turned into a cautionary tale of how not to do it.

Same reply as previously posted.
Edit
Sioux sports- No politics please.

StL Bison Fan
04-10-2022, 03:56 PM
Well, something is going on at Murray State. I’ve gotten two calls to donate and an alumni magazine. The clincher was a birthday email from Dunker the BB horse. Haven’t heard a peep from them the last couple of years.

MankatoBison
04-11-2022, 01:52 PM
Never said G5 was a paradise. I’m completely realistic about our place in the pecking order of college football. I’d also add, I don’t have any problem with the FCS or the fact it is made up of basketball schools. I actually think it is a very smart strategy to maximize their return on their ath. Dept investments. I personally want NDSU to move to FBS because I think it will allow the football team to reach its full potential at the highest level of college football. However, I am also would be in support of following the more traditional FCS model and funding our basketball programs at a higher level by keeping football costs more in line with our peers in FCS. What I have the biggest problem with is the fact that we seem to be doing neither. If the current plan is more sophisticated than that, I’m all ears but I have yet to hear anyone explain our current actions in a way that addresses any of these items.

STRAIGHT TO THE CORNFIELD WITH YOU!

How DARE you express such an undesirable opinion?! I demand that you shadow ban this Pile of Sh*t RIGHT NOW!!!!! He is asking questions, and that cannot be tolerated!

OrygunBison
04-11-2022, 02:50 PM
STRAIGHT TO THE CORNFIELD WITH YOU!

How DARE you express such an undesirable opinion?! I demand that you shadow ban this Pile of Sh*t RIGHT NOW!!!!! He is asking questions, and that cannot be tolerated!

Don't you get tired of that same snarky schtick? It doesn't really help your cause (with which I generally agree) and it's also pretty fucking weird. (Unless you are 12 years old, and in that case - you go be you.)

El_Chapo
04-14-2022, 02:52 AM
look at this clown from Indiana ripping on NDSU for voting NO.. you clown. WITHOUT NDSU (or Dakota schools) the gateway would've merged with the OVC)

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/todd-aaron-golden-would-it-have-killed-ndsu-to-do-the-mvc-schools-a-solid/article_37f6c977-de27-5068-950c-9313fc639c3d.html

it's behind a paywall. I can cut & paste here if you want or just quick click it & stop the refresh and voila.

todd says they scratched ndsus back 2 times for usd & und.
ahhhh we only wanted usd, so that's a lie

The_Sicatoka
04-14-2022, 12:23 PM
It's not behind a paywall for me.

Whether every school is on-board with the decision to add a school or not, conferences want to project a unified front. No waves shall be made. Everyone is supposed to have a smile on their face and be welcoming on the day a new conference member is officially unveiled to the public. ...

So it was a pretty unusual breach of etiquette

... but NDSU was also perfectly within its rights to defer for a day or two to let Murray State and the MVFC have their moment. Instead? The news that NDSU ... was against the move was given almost as much run as Murray State's addition was.

I didn't like it. There's a legitimate debate to be had about Murray State and the MVFC, but it was the wrong time to have it.

... The MVC schools scratched your backs twice with membership additions that did little for them, but quite a bit for the Dakota-based members.

Would it have killed you to scratch ours?

People, administrators, noticed, and they'll remember.

El_Chapo
04-14-2022, 01:10 PM

so what, without NDSU this league is nothing.

BISONBRI53
04-14-2022, 01:20 PM
Wasn't the MVFC pretty good before we got there? I think they will be fine when we leave. SDSU jumps to our spot. The rest can fight them and have a chance. Won't be AS good but still better than when we got here.

NDSU92
04-14-2022, 01:23 PM

So what are they going to do about it? Not let us into the MVC? Not everyone was on board with NDSU joining the MVFC either. Nobody at NDSU knew or cared 3 years after that. Larsen/Bresciani likely made a calculation that potentially ruffling some feathers was worth the PR chips he gained from his constituents by being open and honest about this not being a good move for NDSU or the conference.

Don't you have your hands full with critiquing your own school's decisions? This is such a non-issue lol

NDSU1980
04-14-2022, 02:13 PM

What about Terry Wanless, former und AD, when he voted against NDSU joining the Big Sky back when he was AD at Sac State? NDSU isn't the first school to vote no on expanding the conference.

The_Sicatoka
04-14-2022, 02:24 PM
What about Terry Wanless, when he was AD at Sac State? NDSU isn't the first school to vote no on expanding the conference.

That was Sac. They own that (and can keep Wanless).
NDSU didn't get in, so it wasn't like Sac was raining on NDSU's acceptance parade.
And Sac wasn't contradicting the majority decision.
Not exactly the same situations.

NDSU1980
04-14-2022, 03:08 PM
That was Sac. They own that (and can keep Wanless).
NDSU didn't get in, so it wasn't like Sac was raining on NDSU's acceptance parade.
And Sac wasn't contradicting the majority decision.
Not exactly the same situations.

But it also had to unanimous to get into the BSC at that time, so one vote doomed us, or saved us being stuck there. In reality it was a blessing, but no one knew it at the time. IIRC it was rumored at the time there were two no votes on us joining.

The no votes that really hurt NDSU were back in 1980 when the BSC took Northern Arizona and Weber instead of NDSU and UND. A lot of people tend to forget that both schools made a push to go 1AA at that time and gave up after that.

MankatoBison
04-14-2022, 03:29 PM
Don't you get tired of that same snarky schtick? It doesn't really help your cause (with which I generally agree) and it's also pretty fucking weird. (Unless you are 12 years old, and in that case - you go be you.)

Oh its not a schtick, I have learned my lesson! I have seen and learned from the error of my undesirable opinions and now have been re-educated into the right opinions. I am just trying to weed out all of that bad free speech and thoughts on Bville and replace it with the correct thoughts!

But in reality, I just want to the rules to be applied evenly across the platform, which according to you is, "pretty fucking weird".

Bison Dan
04-14-2022, 03:33 PM
But it also had to unanimous to get into the BSC at that time, so one vote doomed us, or saved us being stuck there. In reality it was a blessing, but no one knew it at the time. IIRC it was rumored at the time there were two no votes on us joining.

The no votes that really hurt NDSU were back in 1980 when the BSC took Northern Arizona and Weber instead of NDSU and UND. A lot of people tend to forget that both schools made a push to go 1AA at that time and gave up after that.

Are you sure und was on board? Back in the 80's und sucked at FB and hockey ruled.

MankatoBison
04-14-2022, 03:33 PM

Love how the author says in the article "There's a legitimate debate to be had about Murray State and the MVFC, but it was the wrong time to have it."

lol what? yeah, having the debate about murray state BEFORE joing the MVFC is the wrong time. Yes, according to this moron, we should wait until AFTER they join to debate the merits of Murray joining. High level thinker, this one

The pearl clutching from this guy that ONE TEAM voted against adding a team to the conference is baffling to me

NDSU1980
04-14-2022, 04:26 PM
Are you sure und was on board? Back in the 80's und sucked at FB and hockey ruled.

Yes, I'm sure that und applied when we did. I was on the student body finance commission back in 1980 and Ade Sponberg came in and presented the athletic budget. The matter of moving up was talked about quite a bit because of the need for more money and he stated that we had to be with und when we moved up because of a travel partner for other sports. They might have sucked at FB but that's never stopped them when they wanted to move up.

The_Sicatoka
04-14-2022, 04:30 PM
Yes, I'm sure that und applied when we did. I was on the student body finance commission back in 1980 and Ade Sponberg came in and presented the athletic budget. The matter of moving up was talked about quite a bit because of the need for more money and he stated that we had to be with und when we moved up because of a travel partner for other sports. They might have sucked at FB but that's never stopped them when they wanted to move up.

Hoop was better then than now, but that don't take much.

tony
04-14-2022, 05:01 PM
What about Terry Wanless, former und AD, when he voted against NDSU joining the Big Sky back when he was AD at Sac State? NDSU isn't the first school to vote no on expanding the conference.

Hah! I have that full interview saved on my hard drive (too bad I don't have all those other Grand Forks Herald bits that were even worse):

It starts with this prophesy:

"Former UND Athletic Director Terry Wanless says if UND wants to, it could move up from NCAA Division II to Division I in college sports. Easier than the Bison, even."

Edit: But later he totally redeemed himself with this spot-on prediction:

"Even in football, the elite Division I-AA teams are much better than the elite Division II teams. Wanless said it would take time for UND to position itself to be able to compete for national Division I-AA football titles. Division I-AA football teams have 63 scholarships compared with Division II's 36."

oldmantutters
04-14-2022, 06:34 PM
I love that NDSU was public with their vote. It shows that they want a conference that is competitive. NDSU ain't ever getting favors from the MVC so fuck 'em. But like I've said before, Murray State is in now so hopefully they are able to use it as a chip on their shoulder and be motivated to improve.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Sun Bison
04-14-2022, 07:29 PM
So what are they going to do about it? Not let us into the MVC? Not everyone was on board with NDSU joining the MVFC either. Nobody at NDSU knew or cared 3 years after that. Larsen/Bresciani likely made a calculation that potentially ruffling some feathers was worth the PR chips he gained from his constituents by being open and honest about this not being a good move for NDSU or the conference.

Right!? Oh no! They will continue to not invite us to the MVC.

I'm pretty sure the NDSU administration knows we will never be in the MVC so why not speak your mind. We will one day make a lateral move to a different FCS level conference (not likely since we are already in the best geographical fit for football for us) or move to FBS.

NDSU92
04-14-2022, 07:49 PM
Right!? Oh no! They will continue to not invite us to the MVC.

I'm pretty sure the NDSU administration knows we will never be in the MVC so why not speak your mind. We will one day make a lateral move to a different FCS level conference (not likely since we are already in the best geographical fit for football for us) or move to FBS.

Yep, and to reinforce the point. If NDSU were to get into the MW and Boise voted against us, nobody at NDSU would take it personally or think it weird. We'd understand that we are damn fortunate for a conference of that caliber to accept us and leave it at that. Boise State is the top dog and they can do as they please.

...and trust me, we belong in the MW waaaaaaay more than Murray State belongs in the Valley. But it is what it is, congrats to Murray for their upgrade.

heckler
04-15-2022, 12:23 PM

The only people that care about the no vote is Murray State because they got told the truth about how bad their football team sucks and und fans because it is like looking in the mirror when they see Murray State. Talk about a bunch of betas lol. Get over it. NDSU voted how the alumni and sports departments wanted them to vote.

JMB
04-18-2022, 07:24 PM
Yep, and to reinforce the point. If NDSU were to get into the MW and Boise voted against us, nobody at NDSU would take it personally or think it weird. We'd understand that we are damn fortunate for a conference of that caliber to accept us and leave it at that. Boise State is the top dog and they can do as they please.

...and trust me, we belong in the MW waaaaaaay more than Murray State belongs in the Valley. But it is what it is, congrats to Murray for their upgrade.

Are you new here? Many here are still pissed at the University of Montana because Montana State bought out a football game. People on this board would hold a grudge that makes some of the conflicts in the middle east look short term.

Kevin
04-18-2022, 07:30 PM
Are you new here? Many here are still pissed at the University of Montana because Montana State bought out a football game. People on this board would hold a grudge that makes some of the conflicts in the middle east look short term.

Montana and Montana State are the same school basically. No need to discriminate.

Hammerhead
04-18-2022, 07:48 PM
Montana and Montana State are the same school basically. No need to discriminate.

Montana state just has an "M" (like Montana, Minnesota, Michigan) on their helmet which is dumb. Same for South Dakota State. :)

NDSU92
04-18-2022, 07:56 PM

That's fair, although I think that really only applies if Boise were to rally the rest of the conference to reject us. Then I and everyone else would be pissed until the end of time. If they pulled the same PR move that we did like I said, it's no skin off our back.

scottietohottie
04-18-2022, 09:14 PM
I bet the sicatoka would get a Boise account and really give them hell for voting to not allow ndsu.