PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Expansion in 2023

BigHorns
03-10-2022, 02:57 PM
Looks like the plan is for a 28 team bracket in 2023.
Top 4 seed will be even more important for the first round bye.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-playoffs-expansion-bzbz/

When reports came out in 2021 of a push for playoff expansion, the original number of teams was 32 with no first-round byes. That has since changed to 28 teams.

Wistrcill said in his model, there would still be eight seeds. The top four seeds would get a first-round bye, and seeds 5-8 would have a guaranteed home game in the first round. The calendar would remain the same, as would other elements of the playoffs, like the regionalization/bidding process/etc.

scottietohottie
03-10-2022, 02:59 PM
Looks like the plan is for a 28 team bracket in 2023.
Top 4 seed will be even more important for the first round bye.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-playoffs-expansion-bzbz/

Well it will make un_ not making the playoffs that much more of an accomplishment.

BigHorns
03-10-2022, 03:07 PM
Seems they are looking at other locations also.

Should we always be in Frisco? Should we move this around? Should we play in LA one year? Should we play in Orlando? Should we play in a dome in Indianapolis? Those are the things that as we look out, we need to start to take a really hard look at ourselves and where we want to go. Let’s see what’s out there. As I look into the future, those are the things that we can do to build on what is already great. We can make it even better.

gumby013
03-10-2022, 03:14 PM

There's also the issue of the Southland Conference being the partner with Frisco. If the conference doesn't survive, it would affect Frisco's ability to bid.

southcliffbison
03-10-2022, 03:16 PM

Don't see how playing in LA would improve anything....jmo

THEsocalledfan
03-10-2022, 03:42 PM
"Hi, I'm representing the kind of crappy FCS schools. Do you realize how many of us who are kind of crappy, get left out of the field due to the auto-bids that go to really crappy teams? They only solution is to let more of us kind of crappy teams in, and make the good teams play one more game on Thanksgiving weekend. Yes, I know those teams probably earned a week off and will inflict more player injuries, but the division cannot survive without putting more of us kind of crappy teams in the field."

Response from fearless FCS "leadership", "Holy smokes, you are so right."

What should be the response from FCS true leadership: "I have a better idea, let's cut all autobids. Let's cut down to 16 teams, abandon Thanksgiving, seed the entire field, and use the money we save from round 1 being gone to pay the increased travel cost. You should be a little better than kind of crappy to get in, and since FCS is pretty much all crappy, some of you kind of crappy schools will get in this way!

Professor Chaos
03-10-2022, 03:49 PM
Dumb idea brought about by all the 5/6 team crap conferences there are out there now after all the realignment shuffling like the Big South, ASUN, OVC, and Southland. Instead of coming up with ideas that'll put more mediocre teams in the playoffs and have more games on the Thanksgiving weekend wasteland they should be forcing these conferences to consolidate. Big South/ASUN gets an autobid and OVC/Southland gets an autobid and keep the 24 team field with 14 at-large.

Bisonator98
03-10-2022, 03:53 PM
"Hi, I'm representing the kind of crappy FCS schools. Do you realize how many of us who are kind of crappy, get left out of the field due to the auto-bids that go to really crappy teams? They only solution is to let more of us kind of crappy teams in, and make the good teams play one more game on Thanksgiving weekend. Yes, I know those teams probably earned a week off and will inflict more player injuries, but the division cannot survive without putting more of us kind of crappy teams in the field."

Response from fearless FCS "leadership", "Holy smokes, you are so right."

What should be the response from FCS true leadership: "I have a better idea, let's cut all autobids. Let's cut down to 16 teams, abandon Thanksgiving, seed the entire field, and use the money we save from round 1 being gone to pay the increased travel cost. You should be a little better than kind of crappy to get in, and since FCS is pretty much all crappy, some of you kind of crappy schools will get in this way!

This! Scrap the autos and get back to a 16 team fully seeded field.

blackdiamond2
03-10-2022, 04:04 PM
at this point - should we just invite everybody to the tournament....

Make it 125 FCS Mega team tournament!

Bisonguy
03-10-2022, 04:32 PM
Dumb idea brought about by all the 5/6 team crap conferences there are out there now after all the realignment shuffling like the Big South, ASUN, OVC, and Southland. Instead of coming up with ideas that'll put more mediocre teams in the playoffs and have more games on the Thanksgiving weekend wasteland they should be forcing these conferences to consolidate. Big South/ASUN gets an autobid and OVC/Southland gets an autobid and keep the 24 team field with 14 at-large.

Yeah, no way it can get down to 16 with the NCAA requirements of autobids and at least half of the field comprised of at-large spots, but 28 is too many.

HerdBot
03-10-2022, 04:41 PM
So seeds 5-8 have to play during Thanksgiving weekend. No thanks.

NDSU92
03-10-2022, 04:49 PM
Laugh. My. Fucking. Ass. Off.

Get us the hell out of here. 28 team playoff will be pretty sweet without us. Otherwise it’s 27 teams playing for 2nd.

tjbison
03-10-2022, 04:56 PM
One more log on the getbthe fuck out fire

My god, stupid

cbline
03-10-2022, 08:07 PM
We'd go from 11,000 to 12,000 for that first playoff game in the Dome to around 8,000 when the Bison play West Central Eastern School for Wayward Girls who gets an autobid.

Hammerhead
03-10-2022, 08:55 PM
Depends on how many of their students show up in the tailgate lots.

We'd go from 11,000 to 12,000 for that first playoff game in the Dome to around 8,000 when the Bison play West Central Eastern School for Wayward Girls who gets an autobid.

JMB
03-10-2022, 09:29 PM
This! Scrap the autos and get back to a 16 team fully seeded field.

Maybe the basketball tourney should scrap the autobids as well??

NDSU1980
03-10-2022, 09:42 PM
Another reason to move on. Screw the FCS Forever people.

GreenfieldBison
03-10-2022, 11:20 PM

Always nice to see a well considered opinion.

Would we actually DESIRE to be playing at their venue (as fans)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony
03-10-2022, 11:23 PM
The big problem with a 28-team field is that we won't be playing some non-scholarship team in the first round if we're the 5 seed - we'll be playing an MVFC team.

They should at least boost the number of seeded teams to 16. OTOH, if the Ivy League gets on board, I'd be OK with this setup.

bisonaudit
03-10-2022, 11:26 PM
The big problem with a 28-team field is that we won't be playing some non-scholarship team in the first round if we're the 5 seed - we'll be playing an MVFC team.

They should at least boost the number of seeded teams to 16. OTOH, if the Ivy League gets on board, I'd be OK with this setup.

Probably a 7-4 UNI who’s actually the 6th best team in the field.

KSBisonFan
03-10-2022, 11:34 PM

Is this school located in a southern or northern part of the US? Makes a big difference in my mind. Also, where's Izzy?

BigHorns
03-11-2022, 02:31 PM
There's also the issue of the Southland Conference being the partner with Frisco. If the conference doesn't survive, it would affect Frisco's ability to bid.

Interesting, I knew SLC was the sponsor, but didn't think about it putting Frisco in jeopardy.
I like the Frisco trip, and am sort of meh on LA or Orlando.

Vegas could be fun if they can solve the scheduling conflict with CES there in January. CES already sells out all the hotels and spikes Vegas prices for everything in January.

totoinfl
03-11-2022, 03:36 PM
Interesting, I knew SLC was the sponsor, but didn't think about it putting Frisco in jeopardy.

Vegas could be fun if they can solve the scheduling conflict with CES there in January. CES already sells out all the hotels and spikes Vegas prices for everything in January.

Come on...Orlando is fun for a game...besides, I know all the best watering holes...9890

bisonaudit
03-11-2022, 04:22 PM
Seems like it would be relatively straight forward for Frisco to partner with a different conference?

THEsocalledfan
03-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Seems like it would be relatively straight forward for Frisco to partner with a different conference?

I'd vote Big Sky and have it at Allegiant in Las Vegas.

scottietohottie
03-11-2022, 05:52 PM
I'd vote Big Sky and have it at Allegiant in Las Vegas.

Can I bring my 2 friends?

KSBisonFan
03-11-2022, 05:57 PM
Can I bring my 2 friends?

Are they willing to leave the buffet?

scbison91
03-11-2022, 06:20 PM
Yeah, no way it can get down to 16 with the NCAA requirements of autobids and at least half of the field comprised of at-large spots, but 28 is too many.Has their ever been a league HS college or professional that has reduced the number of playoff teams?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

bisonaudit
03-11-2022, 06:22 PM
Has their ever been a league HS college or professional that has reduced the number of playoff teams?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Not counting MLBs pandemic playoff format?

yopaulie
03-11-2022, 07:13 PM

Too funny!....needed a Friday chuckle.

IndyBison
03-11-2022, 08:16 PM
Seems like it would be relatively straight forward for Frisco to partner with a different conference?Correct. Pretty sure this is usually the city driving the bids and hooking up with a local conference. The partner Indy uses for all their NCAA basketball championships is the Horizon League.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bisoneer
03-12-2022, 01:16 AM
24 is too many and now 28? What a mess. Lets bid it for the Fargodome, wth.

reformedUNDfan
03-12-2022, 01:30 AM
24 is too many and now 28? What a mess. Lets bid it for the Fargodome, wth.

Marshall used to host it

Professor Chaos
03-12-2022, 12:27 PM
I disagree with dumping the autobids. I don't want a person or group of people so be the sole determinant of whether a team makes the playoffs or not. The playoff system is designed to let the best teams be determined on the field, autobids are the regular season version that. It could be the case that the 5th or 6th place MVFC/Big Sky team is better than some other conference champion but that 5th/6th place team has already proven they aren't up to snuff with the top teams in their conference so give the other teams that won their league the chance to prove it too.

tjamz
03-12-2022, 03:57 PM

But, on the other hand AVN also has a show there about 2 weeks later. We may never see Izzy again if they do that!

ByeSonBusiness
03-12-2022, 04:09 PM

If the Ivy League gets on board....I think a lot of people would come to regret that lol

NDSU92
03-12-2022, 04:10 PM
I disagree with dumping the autobids. I don't want a person or group of people so be the sole determinant of whether a team makes the playoffs or not. The playoff system is designed to let the best teams be determined on the field, autobids are the regular season version that. It could be the case that the 5th or 6th place MVFC/Big Sky team is better than some other conference champion but that 5th/6th place team has already proven they aren't up to snuff with the top teams in their conference so give the other teams that won their league the chance to prove it too.

I don’t think you realize that going in 9-2 in the worst conference in FCS already proves you’re not up to snuff with the top teams in FCS. More so than going 6-5 in the valley.

12 teams, just like FBS should be. Make it happen.

TAILG8R
03-12-2022, 04:18 PM
Bring on the competition!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

NDSU1980
03-12-2022, 04:25 PM
If the Ivy League gets on board....I think a lot of people would come to regret that lol

So what would be wrong with having the Ivies participating in post season games? I'd love to see Harvard come to the dome for a beat down. And that is probably why we won't see them participating.

ByeSonBusiness
03-12-2022, 05:55 PM
So what would be wrong with having the Ivies participating in post season games? I'd love to see Harvard come to the dome for a beat down. And that is probably why we won't see them participating.

What I'm suggesting is that the Ivy League wouldn't be coming to Fargo. Because the only thing holding them back from kicking the shit out of everyone is themselves.

Hell they even got a land grant school in their ranks. They all have a metric fuck ton of money.

Then again, if they decided to take athletics seriously they'd go FBS.

td577
03-13-2022, 01:04 AM
What I'm suggesting is that the Ivy League wouldn't be coming to Fargo. Because the only thing holding them back from kicking the shit out of everyone is themselves.

Hell they even got a land grant school in their ranks. They all have a metric fuck ton of money.

Then again, if they decided to take athletics seriously they'd go FBS.They do need the 2 months to study for finals.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk