PDA

View Full Version : Summit At-Large Bid?

DePereBisonFan
02-20-2022, 02:02 PM
SDSU is still getting votes in the AP Top 25 poll. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

This late in the season, does that provide a substantial argument for them earning at at-large bid to the NCAA tournament if they don't win the Summit Tournament? I think the votes warrant an at-large bid, but I doubt the selection committee would see it that way. I guess any loss in the Summit Tourney would drop them from #37ish to to team #70 or #75, even though any high major receiving votes now would probably not drop that far by a conference tourney loss.

IndyBison
02-20-2022, 02:50 PM
SDSU is still getting votes in the AP Top 25 poll. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

This late in the season, does that provide a substantial argument for them earning at at-large bid to the NCAA tournament if they don't win the Summit Tournament? I think the votes warrant an at-large bid, but I doubt the selection committee would see it that way. I guess any loss in the Summit Tourney would drop them from #37ish to to team #70 or #75, even though any high major receiving votes now would probably not drop that far by a conference tourney loss.A high major wouldn't lose a conference tournament game to a team ranked as low as another Summit team.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

blackdiamond2
02-20-2022, 03:50 PM
http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_433_Men.html - they do have wins over Washington state and Nevada top 100 wins at this time.

They don't have any top 50 wins which they really need to get an at large berth.

They did lose at Idaho (ranked which is #315).
They play at Oral and KC this weekend. I think they lose one of those two games.

ndsubison1
02-20-2022, 04:41 PM
Doubtful theyd get in. Probably be in discussion at least if they were to win out and lose in the title game

bruinbison
02-20-2022, 09:46 PM
It does show one of the possibilities - have a dominant Summit regular season Champ, and then they lose in the finals for 2 teams to get in.

SDSU also could have been helped by Oral Roberts carrying over more of their momentum from last season’s Sweet 16 run. They were only 6-5 non-conference this year, 9-2 or 10-1 would have been helpful.

NDSU could really have helped there also by having a better non-conference record. (5-4 DI games, close loss to Las Vegas, clueless against Creighton, bad loss to Montana State) With the veteran team the Bison had/have the potential was there for some better wins than what they got.

That coulda/woulda been the two dominant team approach that the women’s teams are currently using if either ORU or NDSU played up to their best-case scenario.

In the future Western Illinois and Kansas City look helpful in this regard, plus St Thomas will get up to speed in a hurry. St Thomas currently a 315 NET ranking, so if/when they improve that will help the conference average.

The last mock NCAA seeds I looked at this week showed the Jackrabbits as a #13

unbison
02-20-2022, 10:52 PM
Umm no!!!!

unbison
02-20-2022, 10:52 PM
It does show one of the possibilities - have a dominant Summit regular season Champ, and then they lose in the finals for 2 teams to get in.

SDSU also could have been helped by Oral Roberts carrying over more of their momentum from last season’s Sweet 16 run. They were only 6-5 non-conference this year, 9-2 or 10-1 would have been helpful.

NDSU could really have helped there also by having a better non-conference record. (5-4 DI games, close loss to Las Vegas, clueless against Creighton, bad loss to Montana State) With the veteran team the Bison had/have the potential was there for some better wins than what they got.

That coulda/woulda been the two dominant team approach that the women’s teams are currently using if either ORU or NDSU played up to their best-case scenario.

In the future Western Illinois and Kansas City look helpful in this regard, plus St Thomas will get up to speed in a hurry. St Thomas currently a 315 NET ranking, so if/when they improve that will help the conference average.

The last mock NCAA seeds I looked at this week showed the Jackrabbits as a #13
Potential was there but we were missing Sam he is glue

Professor Chaos
02-22-2022, 01:02 PM
SDSU would have to be projecting on the 9-10 seed line right now to be able to sustain a conference tournament loss (since any remaining loss would be a bad loss) without dropping out of the field and they're on the 12-13 line from most everything I've seen. Even if they win out and get the auto it doesn't seem likely they rise above a #12.

El_Chapo
02-22-2022, 08:22 PM
will never happen in our lifetime
wouldn't it be nice to be in a 2-3 bid league?

ndsubison1
02-22-2022, 09:41 PM
ORU was the last team Out in 2012. So certainly possible to get 2 bids at some point.

Mr Meaty
02-23-2022, 02:59 PM
ORU was the last team Out in 2012. So certainly possible to get 2 bids at some point.

It is possible, but I do not think this year. SDSU is clearly the best and if they were to lose in the Summit tourney it will be a bad lose and most likely drop them out. Rest of the teams are not ranked very good. We need more OC wins by the good teams and then run the table with only 1 or 2 conference losses.

roadwarrior
02-24-2022, 04:38 AM
I think und will get an at large bid this year, since they aren't going to Sioux Falls.

bruinbison
02-27-2022, 09:00 PM
Summit At-Large Bid?

will never happen in our lifetime
wouldn't it be nice to be in a 2-3 bid league?

Dom Izzo
@DomIzzoWDAY
@ESPNLunardi
says it’s not out of the question that if #SDSU doesn’t win the Summit League Tournament, the Jacks could get an at-large bid:

Bubble Watch 2022: Red-hot Jackrabbits join the bubble

espn.com
Bubble Watch 2022: Four teams that are just outside the bubble

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/33209419/ncaa-tournament-2022-bubble-watch-brace-month-march-madness-bracket-selection-drama

sigh……Who to believe? The guy with the negative NDSU agenda?
Or the guy who does it for ESPN?*

Has SDSU at a #12 seed in his latest projection

*plus it is already happening on the women’s side

El_Chapo
02-27-2022, 09:24 PM
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/33209419/ncaa-tournament-2022-bubble-watch-brace-month-march-madness-bracket-selection-drama

sigh……Who to believe? The guy with the negative NDSU agenda?
Or the guy who does it for ESPN?*

Has SDSU at a #12 seed in his latest projection

*plus it is already happening on the women’s side

using women basketball as rational. lol. haha. cmon.

Lunardi sucks up to every local yokel media guy for their league/team.

bruinbison
02-28-2022, 12:14 AM
The Summit League as a whole has potential…..
You can continue to ignore the improvements by teams like Western Illinois & Kansas City if you wish with your anti-Summit agenda. Other folks aren’t. Both schools have coaches that seem to be making it work.

Or call it the St Thomas affect. They, as a D1 transition team, are helping drag down the Summit League conference rating. Currently at #308 in the NET rankings.
But they also have potential. The Tommies signed a historic, by Summit League standards, recruiting class.
From Verbal Commits:
4★SGKendall Blue(6-5 175)Signed
2★SGAndrew Rohde(6-5 160)Signed
3★PFAhjany Lee(6-9 205)Committed
2★PFCarter Bjerke(6-9 0)Signed

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/st-thomas

Those are the high school players St Thomas has signed, they also have players with Twin Cities connections transferring home from other colleges.

Heck, even El Forko Grande has some firepower coming in to join their potential Summit League Freshman of the Year, Paul Bruns. Treysen Eaglestaff & BJ Amot have good potential. We’ll see what they look like in a couple years.

El_Chapo
02-28-2022, 02:10 AM
UST will dominate within 4 years no doubt

the und recruits won't be able to get their shot off at D1 level (ahem. Aiden moody)

Wiu & umkc have great coaches

nodak651
02-28-2022, 07:33 PM
UST will dominate within 4 years no doubt

the und recruits won't be able to get their shot off at D1 level (ahem. Aiden moody)

Wiu & umkc have great coaches

Are you referring to Aanen Moody, who shot 44-95 for 46% from three this year?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4278631/aanen-moody

El_Chapo
02-28-2022, 08:47 PM
Are you referring to Aanen Moody, who shot 44-95 for 46% from three this year?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4278631/aanen-moody

LOL 37 made 3's in 25 D1 games.
good for him padding stats vs the 2 NAIA teams they played

that 6.5 PPG is really getting his shot off. LOL its too easy man.

Bison Dan
02-28-2022, 08:59 PM
LOL 37 made 3's in 25 D1 games.
good for him padding stats vs the 2 NAIA teams they played

that 6.5 PPG is really getting his shot off. LOL its too easy man.

Their new ND recruit will go the way of Moody - All O and no D

DePereBisonFan
03-11-2022, 03:59 PM
Any chance SDSU gets higher than a 13 seed? IIRC, UC Irvine was a 30 win team as a 13 seed a few years back and beat K-State in the round of 64.

KSBisonFan
03-11-2022, 05:15 PM
Any chance SDSU gets higher than a 13 seed? IIRC, UC Irvine was a 30 win team as a 13 seed a few years back and beat K-State in the round of 64.

Lunardi has them as a 12 seed.