PDA

View Full Version : Panel selects 5 Finalists for NDSU President

Pages : [1] 2

ndsubison1
01-18-2022, 03:42 PM
https://www.inforum.com/news/north-dakota/panel-selects-5-finalists-for-president-of-north-dakota-state-university

"The candidates include presidents, chancellors, vice chancellors and provosts:

David Cook, vice chancellor for public affairs and economic development, University of Kansas at Lawrence.
Hesham El-Rewini, provost and senior vice president of academic affairs, Marymount University in the Washington, D.C., area. He was the dean of the College of Engineering and Mines at the University of North Dakota until 2019.
Mary Holz-Clause, acting executive chancellor, University of Minnesota’s dual campus at Crookston and Morris.
Debra Larson, provost and vice president of academic affairs, California State University at Chico.
Michael Tidwell, immediate past president of the University of Texas at Tyler."

heckler
01-18-2022, 03:47 PM
https://www.inforum.com/news/north-dakota/panel-selects-5-finalists-for-president-of-north-dakota-state-university

David Cook, vice chancellor for public affairs and economic development, University of Kansas at Lawrence.
Hesham El-Rewini, provost and senior vice president of academic affairs, Marymount University in the Washington, D.C., area. He was the dean of the College of Engineering and Mines at the University of North Dakota until 2019.
Mary Holz-Clause, acting executive chancellor, University of Minnesota’s dual campus at Crookston and Morris.
Debra Larson, provost and vice president of academic affairs, California State University at Chico.

In the article they said they were from "flagship" universities. Duh Kay. This whole process is fricked up.

TAILG8R
01-18-2022, 04:13 PM
In the article they said they were from "flagship" universities. Duh Kay. This whole process is fricked up.

"flagship universities, institutions with robust and growing research portfolios, and land grant institutions"

Who's the dipshit that just had to refrence UND as a flagship university? Because none of the other ones would come even close to being considered flagships.

IndyBison
01-18-2022, 04:17 PM
"flagship universities, institutions with robust and growing research portfolios, and land grant institutions"

Who's the dipshit that just had to refrence UND as a flagship university? Because none of the other ones would come even close to being considered flagships.Pretty sure the University of Kansas at Lawrence would qualify

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TAILG8R
01-18-2022, 04:20 PM
Pretty sure the University of Kansas at Lawrence would qualify

Ah yes, once again I read things too fast and replied even faster. :)

oldmantutters
01-18-2022, 04:43 PM
Cook or Tidwell!

El-Rawini wouldn't have gotten a callback from me. Once you've associated with UND, that's a no from me dawg.

THEsocalledfan
01-18-2022, 05:11 PM
Pretty sure the University of Kansas at Lawrence would qualify

Yep, about the only one. I would not count satellite campuses in that definition. I'd bet the Kansas person will have a solid shot due to that. We need another big athletics supporter to be hired. That would be my first question and why I would never get on this type of committee. :)

El_Chapo
01-18-2022, 05:14 PM
RIP NDSU this is f<kin pathetic

Mary Holz-Clause is a complete loon I've met her. holy crap! https://www.crk.umn.edu/profiles/mary-holz-clause
dude from und? F that.
U of Texas Tyler? huh?
Chico Cal?? LOL WUT?

this ONLY thing I can think of is that they stacked the deck for David Cook to get it out of Kansas... and I'm fine with that I guess even though some professors of liberal arts were kinda out there. https://chancellor.ku.edu/david-cook

NDSU does not even compare with 4 of these shitty universities where the 4 candidates are from, ONLY Kansas. swing and a miss!

IndyBison
01-18-2022, 05:25 PM
RIP NDSU this is f<kin pathetic

Mary Holz-Clause is a complete loon I've met her. holy crap! https://www.crk.umn.edu/profiles/mary-holz-clause
dude from und? F that.
U of Texas Tyler? huh?
Chico Cal?? LOL WUT?

this ONLY thing I can think of is that they stacked the deck for David Cook to get it out of Kansas... and I'm fine with that I guess even though some professors of liberal arts were kinda out there. https://chancellor.ku.edu/david-cook

Based on this assessment I'm guessing Holz-Clause is an excellent candidate. Her resume is impressive having been at Iowa State, UConn, and Cal Poly, all excellent universities.

All of these candidates have impressive backgrounds. Good luck to all of them.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
01-18-2022, 05:29 PM
Hesham would probably be the best from the research prospective. I think he can build it to where we want to be. But I’m biased towards engineers so that’s why I’m leaning his way already.

Biggest question is why he left UND….

NDSU1980
01-18-2022, 06:09 PM
Based on this assessment I'm guessing Holz-Clause is an excellent candidate. Her resume is impressive having been at Iowa State, UConn, and Cal Poly, all excellent universities.

But which ones are pro FBS?

gotts
01-18-2022, 06:37 PM
I'd just like to thank everyone for assembling a panel and not a committee.

WhoRepsTheLurker
01-18-2022, 07:07 PM
Where did Joe Chapman come from? Was he from an impressive school? I honestly don’t recall. What matter most are (1) vision, (2) passion for the cause (NDSU), and (3) relevant experience.

The experience of some of the candidates (i.e., where they have been and what they have done) would seem to offset some of the "issues" of appearance associated with where they currently reside professionally.

I do know that there are some very bright people with deep, deep passion for NDSU on the search committee, so I will defer to them instead of passing judgement based simply on where the candidates would be coming from.

I always felt that an appreciation for the higher-ed landscape in ND was sort of critical, but I suppose that can be learned in short order.

ndsubison1
01-18-2022, 07:22 PM
Cook or Tidwell!

El-Rawini wouldn't have gotten a callback from me. Once you've associated with UND, that's a no from me dawg.

He probably made several rounds to make it to an in person interview.

If we're basing it off of a paragraph in a newspaper, Id say Cook looks good.

GCWaters
01-18-2022, 07:24 PM
Where did Joe Chapman come from? Was he from an impressive school? I honestly don’t recall. What matter most are (1) vision, (2) passion for the cause (NDSU), and (3) relevant experience.

The experience of some of the candidates (i.e., where they have been and what they have done) would seem to offset some of the "issues" of appearance associated with where they currently reside professionally.

I do know that there are some very bright people with deep, deep passion for NDSU on the search committee, so I will defer to them instead of passing judgement based simply on where the candidates would be coming from.

I always felt that an appreciation for the higher-ed landscape in ND was sort of critical, but I suppose that can be learned in short order.

Pretty sure Chapman was provost at Montana State...

Gully
01-18-2022, 08:53 PM
Ugh, at a headline level, this doesn't seem good. No, I haven't dug into their background and I'm sure they're all fine people. But this is a visibility / perception / leadership position, not a technical one.

I'd feel much better with a candidate from a major land grant that has a strong athletics focus. Too bad we don't already have someone like that.

Herd
01-18-2022, 09:02 PM
Cook or Tidwell.

Mn lady, looks like a major lefty.
Larson, out of her element here.
El-No.

Looks like checking diversity boxes was top priority with list of 5. Where are candidates from Ok State, K-State, Nebraska, A&M. I liked cook’s Bio.

El_Chapo
01-18-2022, 10:31 PM
like I said, if these 5 were picked in order for the Kansas guy to waltz thru for coronation then I'm fine with that.

HOWEVER if this is AN ATTEMPETED SABATOGE oF NDSU by the state higher board of ed then we should burn bismarck/grand forks to the ground metaphorically.

CAS4127
01-18-2022, 11:05 PM
Cook or Tidwell.

El-No.

Looks like checking diversity boxes was top priority with list of 5. Where are candidates from Ok State, K-State, Nebraska, A&M. I liked cook’s Bio.

Welcome to 2022, and hope for the “best”.

scottietohottie
01-18-2022, 11:15 PM
An old wooden ship?

scottietohottie
01-18-2022, 11:20 PM
None of them really look fbs eh

bisonaudit
01-18-2022, 11:25 PM
Cook or Tidwell.

El-No.

Sure do miss the days when the list would fave been 5 mediocre white dudes.

oldmantutters
01-18-2022, 11:40 PM
I heard on the radio El-Rewini was on the committee that was swindled by Mark Kennedy. Stee-rike three, he's out!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

SDbison
01-19-2022, 12:30 AM
Sure do miss the days when the list would fave been 5 mediocre white dudes.

I miss the days when the candidates were from the area they were running for. Also tired of minorities getting nominated just because. An upper midwest university doesn't need someone from Washington DC or California running it. They won't represent the majority Midwest values. The next NDSU president better be the candidate from Texas or Kansas or I will drop my support of the University. Total BS the 5 candidates only consist of 2 from the middle of the country.

bisonaudit
01-19-2022, 12:42 AM
I miss the days when the candidates were from the area they were running for. Also tired of minorities getting nominated just because. An upper midwest university doesn't need someone from Washington DC or California running it. They won't represent the majority Midwest values. The next NDSU president better be the candidate from Texas or Kansas or I will drop my support of the University. Total BS the 5 candidates only consist of 2 from the middle of the country.

Tired of mediocre white dudes getting nominated just because.

Hansel
01-19-2022, 12:50 AM
Looks like Larson was a finalist at Mankato State last year but did not get the job.

https://www.nwmissourinews.com/news/article_e278f11c-8754-11eb-8b5d-b7e7e08ac52b.html

Hansel
01-19-2022, 12:55 AM
Holz-Clause spent a lot of time in Ag at Iowa State… and she and her husband apparently own a feedlot in Iowa

https://www.econ.iastate.edu/stories/mary-holz-clause

Hansel
01-19-2022, 01:02 AM
Tidwell interviewed at UTSA recently- it is curious why he left the presidency of UT-Tyler prior to having another job lined up.

ByeSonBusiness
01-19-2022, 01:13 AM
I'm not gonna bother pretending I know what makes someone qualified to be a university president.

Hope whomever gets the job does a nice job. I dont care where they are from. I'd take a Somali pirate if they knew how to run the show effectively.

CAS4127
01-19-2022, 01:20 AM
I'm not gonna bother pretending I know what makes someone qualified to be a university president.

Hope whomever gets the job does a nice job. I dont care where they are from. I'd take a Somali pirate if they knew how to run the show effectively.

Agree! Competency, ability, and other successful metrics should carry the day. Hopefully that happens/works here.

heckler
01-19-2022, 03:32 AM

You mean the same Holz-Clause that was chancellor at UM-Crookston when they dropped football in 2019?

56BISON73
01-19-2022, 04:21 AM
Chico State dropped football in 1997. One of the candidates was there also.

td577
01-19-2022, 04:38 AM

Hope whomever gets the job does a nice job. I dont care where they are from. I'd take a Somali pirate if they knew how to run the show effectively.I think someone who is seen as a successful provost in a similar size or larger institution would be a good start. In fact, there should be universities out there NDSU and the state should see as target state schools. Schools we would like to see NDSU be more like. Maybe it is a growth or research model NDSU would like to emulate. Those institutions should have executive staff that are part of the notification process.

Out of these 5 candidates, only one or two seem to be type anyone would have intentionally sought. Bresciani's resume looked like what a next president of a college should look like. Proven success at colleges NDSU would certainly do well emulating.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ByeSonBusiness
01-19-2022, 04:39 AM
You mean the same Holz-Clause that was chancellor at UM-Crookston when they dropped football in 2019?

Is that a bad thing? I'm guessing NDSU got more people for a single game in 1988 than Crookston was getting for a full season in the 2010's

southcliffbison
01-19-2022, 12:03 PM
My preferred choice is the one from Texas.........HE HAS TO LOVE FOOTBALL!!!!! All that other crap about running a university is just that ......bullshit.....smoke and mirrors.....politics. Most BV ers are too young to remember a yahoo president from the past, a dud named Dan Plowe. That dipshit nearly killed, dismembered, and buried the football program. Remember, there's a majority of UN__ fawker alumni on the higher ed board who, in the back of their fucking minds, would love to see NDSU football knocked off its pedestal . A backhanded way to accomplish this is to hire someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about the Athletic Department, football in particular. Don't trust those bastards..........

Bison Dan
01-19-2022, 12:48 PM
My preferred choice is the one from Texas.........HE HAS TO LOVE FOOTBALL!!!!! All that other crap about running a university is just that ......bullshit.....smoke and mirrors.....politics. Most BV ers are too young to remember a yahoo president from the past, a dud named Dan Plowe. That dipshit nearly killed, dismembered, and buried the football program. Remember, there's a majority of UN__ fawker alumni on the higher ed board who, in the back of their fucking minds, would love to see NDSU football knocked off its pedestal . A backhanded way to accomplish this is to hire someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about the Athletic Department, football in particular. Don't trust those bastards..........

Casey Ryan being one. Totally anti-fargo and NDSU. Ran the hospital in GF poorly. Hopefully J. Volk can keep things on the level.

NDSU_grad
01-19-2022, 01:43 PM
Are you thinking of Thomas Plough? I’m not sure about the football stuff but that guy was a dud.

Gully
01-19-2022, 02:02 PM
Are you thinking of Thomas Plough? I’m not sure about the football stuff but that guy was a dud.

He just whined and complained. Then Joe Chapman showed up and made shit happen. To be fair, he made a few things happen that shouldn't have, but overall he left it much better than he found it.

southcliffbison
01-19-2022, 02:15 PM

Yes, Thomas Plough.....my bad.

ByeSonBusiness
01-19-2022, 03:53 PM

Scrolling through the higher ed board... didn't notice any UND alums... though one has a spouse who works there in the psych department. Methinks we got some paranoia on the board here.

abc123
01-19-2022, 03:58 PM
Scrolling through the higher ed board... didn't notice any UND alums... though one has a spouse who works there in the psych department. Methinks we got some paranoia on the board here.

Considering from 2012 through 2020 when all of this supposed stuff was taking place, one of board members was a former NDSU football player and coach, there is more than just a little bit.

Casey Ryan has lived in Grand Forks for 40 years, so I guess that is why he's supposedly in it for UND.
Jeffry Volk is an actual NDSU alum and has lived in area for 30+ years and is also on the NDSU Foundation board.
Nick Hacker did attend UND but hasn't lived in the area for 15 years.

Nowhere near the "majority of the board" that has UND-driven agenda against NDSU.

Hansel
01-19-2022, 04:05 PM

Looks like 2 UND alums (including the student rep) and 1 NDSU alum

https://ndus.edu/sbhe-overview/board-members-2/

abc123
01-19-2022, 04:07 PM
Looks like 3 UND alums and 1 NDSU alum

https://ndus.edu/sbhe-overview/board-members-2/

One alum (Hacker)
One student representative, which changes every year (Lian)
One employee (Legerski)

El_Chapo
01-19-2022, 04:45 PM
we fuckkkkkked. I'm even saying sabatoged.

TAILG8R
01-19-2022, 04:54 PM
Worth a few minutes reading time.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/kolpack-here-is-your-two-minute-warning-on-the-next-ndsu-president

heckler
01-19-2022, 06:20 PM
I am ready to get rid of the board again but I don't have a better idea of how to run things.

heckler
01-19-2022, 06:21 PM
Worth a few minutes reading time.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/kolpack-here-is-your-two-minute-warning-on-the-next-ndsu-president

"This decision. It matters. This is your two-minute warning and it's not looking good for the home team."

acf2
01-19-2022, 07:01 PM
What is the timeline to make a decision?

Grizzled
01-19-2022, 08:05 PM
Guessing there are some nervous conversations within the athletic dept if they had Kolpack write that article.

southcliffbison
01-19-2022, 08:39 PM

Call it paranoia, fear, angst, trepidation, or whatever the fuck you want to call it..........any time you have some one or some people who are remotely connected with UNfuckingD making decisions that will effect our beloved university........you damn right, there better be concern. As I said before, I don't trust those bastards. Why are you even involved in this conversation? As Bot says, you're a UN_ troll.

NDSU1980
01-19-2022, 08:54 PM
I remember hearing these same things, seeing all the hand wringing, etc when Joe Chapman retired. Things turned out alright then and I think we'll be alright this time as well. I doubt any president wants to be remembered as the person who killed off Bison football. Just don't hire the asshole connected to und. I still remember Bob Entzion.

El_Chapo
01-19-2022, 09:26 PM
not 1 of these people have a private business background or know how to actually work. Education & Politics = only place you can move ahead with ZERO first hand knowledge of how a business is run.

David Cook from Kansas Dave first earned tenure as a faculty member in the KU School of Medicine. He is now a full professor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

(guessing the SBOHE likes that he's a Professor and the und people will like that he's in Medicine)

“KU needs to be innovative in how we recruit students" <<<<< NDSU needs that as well!

unbison
01-19-2022, 11:54 PM
not 1 of these people have a private business background or know how to actually work. Education & Politics = only place you can move ahead with ZERO first hand knowledge of how a business is run.

David Cook from Kansas Dave first earned tenure as a faculty member in the KU School of Medicine. He is now a full professor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

(guessing the SBOHE likes that he's a Professor and the und people will like that he's in Medicine)

“KU needs to be innovative in how we recruit students" <<<<< NDSU needs that as well!

What exactl is your point about these people not knowing how to run a business… they are getting hired to run a public institution. Of education

StL Bison Fan
01-20-2022, 12:28 AM

Being in private business will help you very little working in the public sector, especially how political higher Ed is in nd. Open records alone will drive a business person insane. The rules are different for private versus public institutions.

ByeSonBusiness
01-20-2022, 12:34 AM
Call it paranoia, fear, angst, trepidation, or whatever the fuck you want to call it..........any time you have some one or some people who are remotely connected with UNfuckingD making decisions that will effect our beloved university........you damn right, there better be concern. As I said before, I don't trust those bastards. Why are you even involved in this conversation? As Bot says, you're a UN_ troll.

This screams paranoia. Get help dude.

Nobody who hates NDSU is going to take the job. If somebody has UND ties, its not a big deal. Frankly it means they've been in the area and is willing to come back.

Btw...I have as much a right to be in the discussion as you do, I have a degree from NDSU. Tbh I have no idea if you or Herdbot do...maybe you should be the one sitting this one out?

unbison
01-20-2022, 12:38 AM
This screams paranoia. Get help dude.

Nobody who hates NDSU is going to take the job. If somebody has UND ties, its not a big deal. Frankly it means they've been in the area and is willing to come back.

Btw...I have as much a right to be in the discussion as you do, I have a degree from NDSU. Tbh I have no idea if you or Herdbot do...maybe you should be the one sitting this one out?

Any tax payer in this state has a right to be in this conversation as well which also eliminates southcliff

PickedBess
01-20-2022, 12:38 AM

Friend of mine I went to high school with told me this. He now lives in Buxton ND.
His father was an Engineering Professor at UND. He said NDSU repeatedly approached him to leave UND and teach at NDSU. He finally took there offer it was to good to pass up.

My money's on Hesham El-Rewini

Think he's got something they want.

reformedUNDfan
01-20-2022, 02:24 AM
Hesham would probably be the best from the research prospective. I think he can build it to where we want to be. But I’m biased towards engineers so that’s why I’m leaning his way already.

Biggest question is why he left UND….

UND treats his staff like crap. He's a good dude, was really well liked, i talked to him a couple times. Home run hire

ByeSonBusiness
01-20-2022, 03:03 AM
Friend of mine I went to high school with told me this. He now lives in Buxton ND.
His father was an Engineering Professor at UND. He said NDSU repeatedly approached him to leave UND and teach at NDSU. He finally took there offer it was to good to pass up.

My money's on Hesham El-Rewini

Think he's got something they want.

That's awesome. NDSU needs to do what it can to b get the best engineers. Our school exists for one reason... its in the name.

North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Science.

Get the best nerds and hicks we can find. The football team will be fine I promise.

I got a finance degree.... but I'd gladly see the business school disappear if it meant our mission was met....i.e STEM

IndyBison
01-20-2022, 03:08 AM
Being in private business will help you very little working in the public sector, especially how political higher Ed is in nd. Open records alone will drive a business person insane. The rules are different for private versus public institutions.It couldn't hurt to have business experience but having higher ed leadership is definitely helpful. Every one of these candidates has experience at the executive level running the "business" of a university.

The current president at Purdue is Mitch Daniels. He was an executive at Eli Lilly (Prozac, Cialis) before becoming governor of Indiana so he had both business and government experience but no higher ed experience. He's been very well received and has kept tuition flat most of the time he's been there.

PickedBess
01-20-2022, 03:33 AM
That's awesome. NDSU needs to do what it can to b get the best engineers. Our school exists for one reason... its in the name.

Get the best nerds and hicks we can find. The football team will be fine I promise.

I got a finance degree.... but I'd gladly see the business school disappear if it meant our mission was met....i.e STEM

A Business School is going to close?
Disappear?
Don't tell that to Governor Bergum tell that to Ray Holmberg

bisonaudit
01-20-2022, 01:16 PM
Can’t help but think that the applicant pool would be stronger if the legislature weren’t actively attacking academic freedom or the SBoHE even pretended to push back on such fundamental threats to our University System.

El_Chapo
01-20-2022, 03:00 PM
^^^ This Imperial Cass & und backers in bismarck/g forks really have a boner for ndsu failing. its a sabotage.

TAILG8R
01-20-2022, 03:17 PM
Can’t help but think that the applicant pool would be stronger if the legislature weren’t actively attacking academic freedom or the SBoHE even pretended to push back on such fundamental threats to our University System.

^^^ This Imperial Cass & und backers in bismarck/g forks really have a boner for ndsu failing. its a sabotage.

I don't think El Chapo got the gist of your post. :)

ByeSonBusiness
01-20-2022, 05:03 PM

No one in a position of relevance has a boner for NDSU failing. Either of the big state schools failing would be a black eye for the state.

Believe it or not, the average political bear does not want our schools to do badly.

bisonaudit
01-20-2022, 05:14 PM
No one in a position of relevance has a boner for NDSU failing. Either of the big state schools failing would be a black eye for the state.

Believe it or not, the average political bear does not want our schools to do badly.

They may genuinely believe that, unfortunately the actions of at least a subset of them are plainly counter productive.

EC8CH
01-20-2022, 05:20 PM

Not so much about NDSU failing, just not succeeding in relation to other state universities.

tony
01-20-2022, 05:26 PM
When's the Legislature-required gimp suit competition?

taper
01-20-2022, 05:52 PM
When's the Legislature-required gimp suit competition?

The candidates are all too old to interest UND's delegation.

heckler
01-20-2022, 07:47 PM
Inforum really giving the SBHE and the 5 finalists all they can handle lately lol

Mr Meaty
01-20-2022, 09:03 PM
Not so much about NDSU failing, just not succeeding in relation to other state universities.

Bingo...........

cx500d
01-20-2022, 09:25 PM

Ndsu should make a case to consolidate the STEM curricula at ndsu and leave the liberal arts at UND similar to the South Dakota and Montana models. Land grants = engineering schools, the other schools are the liberal arts. UND has a couple engineering disciplines NDSU doesn’t have, but most of what NDSU has is also at UND.

ByeSonBusiness
01-20-2022, 09:32 PM
The candidates are all too old to interest UND's delegation.

This is good lol. I'm on my phone so I can't give rep.

WhoRepsTheLurker
01-20-2022, 09:32 PM
Ndsu should make a case to consolidate the STEM curricula at ndsu and leave the liberal arts at UND similar to the South Dakota and Montana models. Land grants = engineering schools, the other schools are the liberal arts. UND has a couple engineering disciplines NDSU doesn’t have, but most of what NDSU has is also at UND.

Agreed

I also don’t think it’s a stretch to say that there are still UND backers who expect Bismarck to step in and "slow down" NDSU because NDSU has an "unfair" advantage being Fargo. I’d be more than happy to be wrong on this, but that’s my sense.

Assuming I’m not wrong, it’s important to point out that while slowing down NDSU might make UND look better, it hurts ND as a whole. As much as some people might hate it, "Imperial Cass" does a tremendous amount for the state.

The only solution is for the two schools to fully differentiate, such the sum takes on the appearance of single large university, but with two independent and interacting parts. It’s really the only way it makes sense going forward.

ByeSonBusiness
01-20-2022, 09:33 PM

I'd be fine with that. NDSU has a reason to exist. Let's kick ass at that.

cx500d
01-20-2022, 09:39 PM

Move und’s chemical engineering, petroleum engineering and geological engineering to ndsu and shut the rest down

NDSU_grad
01-20-2022, 09:53 PM
I’m not against that but we’d probably have to give up pharmacy to them. Which I also would be ok with.

WhoRepsTheLurker
01-20-2022, 10:01 PM
I’m not against that but we’d probably have to give up pharmacy to them. Which I also would be ok with.

Pharm Sci at NDSU is too strong for this. It’s also better for ND commerce to have it in Fargo.

Let them have the STEM fragments of petroleum engineering and aerospace, but the rest goes to NDSU.

PickedBess
01-20-2022, 10:19 PM
Inforum really giving the SBHE and the 5 finalists all they can handle lately lol

Move und’s chemical engineering, petroleum engineering and geological engineering to ndsu and shut the rest down

I met someone who went to Ohio State. I asked about the programs they offered. She said they offer everything.

I asked on here maybe it was on SS one time if there will ever be an NDSU Med School? One comment I read here was no thanks to a SU Med School. Couldn't figure out why but there must be a reason.

Ohio State is a land grant like SU and has a Med School. Why not take the UND Med School with the Engineering if the rest of UND is shut down.

cx500d
01-20-2022, 10:43 PM
I met someone who went to Ohio State. I asked about the programs they offered. She said they offer everything.

I asked on here maybe it was on SS one time if there will ever be an NDSU Med School? One comment I read here was no thanks to a SU Med School. Couldn't figure out why but there must be a reason.

Ohio State is a land grant like SU and has a Med School. Why not take the UND Med School with the Engineering if the rest of UND is shut down.

Ohio State has a gazillion students. They have almost as many alumni as the entire state of ND population.

ByeSonBusiness
01-21-2022, 12:30 AM
Ohio State has a gazillion students. They have almost as many alumni as the entire state of ND population.

Ohio State is also a typical flagship in addition to being land grant

WhoRepsTheLurker
01-21-2022, 12:47 AM
If you look closely, these lines already exist

NDSU = STEM*/Ag/Business/Education/Fine Arts + highest level FB
*minus oil and aero

UND = Med/Law/Liberal Arts + Oil/Aero + highest level hockey

If I’m UND, I take that with a sh*t eating grin. You have the regionally guaranteed success associated with med/oil/aero, while putting all the risk and external competition in Fargo

El_Chapo
01-21-2022, 01:20 AM
If you look closely, these lines already exist

NDSU = STEM*/Ag/Business/Education/Fine Arts + highest level FB
*minus oil and aero

UND = Med/Law/Liberal Arts + Oil/Aero + highest level hockey

If I’m UND, I take that with a sh*t eating grin. You have the regionally guaranteed success associated with med/oil/aero, while putting all the risk and external competition in Fargo

now give Mayville to UND & Valley city to NDSU.
Close down 3 other colleges and then we are getting somewhere.

Professorbum
01-21-2022, 01:48 AM
Tidwell interviewed at UTSA recently- it is curious why he left the presidency of UT-Tyler prior to having another job lined up.

I like Tidwell the best. He as a D1 athlete at Ball State. I don't know which sport, but that tells me that he probably values athletics and the front-porch concept.

Looks like he helped facilitate merger between UT Tyler and a medical college. Once the merger happened, they only needed one president and they chose to stick with the medical college president because they were emphasizing that aspect of the institution. It sounds plausible to me and he has pretty good credentials. So without knowing anything else, I'd throw my lot in with him.

Answer Guy
01-21-2022, 01:54 AM

Pharmacy and nursing. And business.

You guys get to keep the barnyard animals.

PickedBess
01-21-2022, 06:40 PM
I listen to Joel Heitamp a lot.

And have heard him say at least one time probably more that all Engineering Degrees should be taught at NDSU. No Engineering at UND. Then he'd say UND can have this from NDSU. UND is getting nothing from NDSU. All Engineering may end up at NDSU.

Reading online abit about Hesham El-Rawini he is probably a genius. I believe he has written 12 books.

Is that the plan. Hire Hesham take NDSU Engineering to the next level. I believe that's not only possible and probably.

heckler
01-21-2022, 07:39 PM
Know what would be even better? Making all the other schools two year colleges and the two biggest can stay 4 year.

Hire the KU guy. We need someone with charisma not some nerd that can't talk to women or donors for money.

PickedBess
01-21-2022, 09:15 PM
Know what would be even better? Making all the other schools two year colleges and the two biggest can stay 4 year.

Hire the KU guy. We need someone with charisma not some nerd that can't talk to women or donors for money.

Joe Chapman has Charisma? I guess he got some donations.
Joe and me look like the young man on the old Mad Magazine.
Alfred E. Neuman.
Newman wasn't that the guy who served drinks at SU? Ha

bisonaudit
01-21-2022, 09:27 PM
Higher Ed fucked in the ass again. This time in grand forks. Catholics claim they’re being discriminated against because the university was merely discussing the idea that it would be nice if people didn’t intentionally misgender other people so under pressure from the state legislature the university President shut down the policy discussion.

GreenfieldBison
01-21-2022, 09:44 PM
Joe Chapman has Charisma? I guess he got some donations.
Joe and me look like the young man on the old Mad Magazine.
Alfred E. Neuman.
Newman wasn't that the guy who served drinks at SU? Ha

Charisma is only loosely related to one's appearance, if at all.

El_Chapo
01-21-2022, 11:24 PM
Higher Ed fucked in the ass again. This time in grand forks. Catholics claim they’re being discriminated against because the university was merely discussing the idea that it would be nice if people didn’t intentionally misgender other people so under pressure from the state legislature the university President shut down the policy discussion.

so you send your daughter to there in the dorms & they stick a male identifying as a female & you'd be fine with that? cmon man.

abc123
01-21-2022, 11:27 PM
so you send your daughter to there in the dorms & they stick a male identifying as a female & you'd be fine with that? cmon man.

This is what you get when you just believe press releases from the Catholic Church and not understand actual facts.

Kevin
01-21-2022, 11:49 PM
Maybe Ndsu should identify as an fbs program

CAS4127
01-21-2022, 11:57 PM
I listen to Joel Heitamp a lot.

And have heard him say at least one time probably more that all Engineering Degrees should be taught at NDSU. No Engineering at UND. Then he'd say UND can have this from NDSU. UND is getting nothing from NDSU. All Engineering may end up at NDSU.

Reading online abit about Hesham El-Rawini he is probably a genius. I believe he has written 12 books.

Is that the plan. Hire Hesham take NDSU Engineering to the next level. I believe that's not only possible and probably.

Don’t give one shit about how many books he’s supposedly written (do you understand how writing books works?). Also, has anyone read them and have they had any influence on people? Nope!

Kevin
01-21-2022, 11:58 PM
Don’t give one shit about how many books he’s supposedly written (do you understand how writing books works?). Also, has anyone read them and have they had any influence on people? Nope!

More people have read the midget erotica I ghost wrote for Scottie.

And lakes was the only one to buy that.

CAS4127
01-21-2022, 11:59 PM

Good God. What a post.

CAS4127
01-22-2022, 12:48 AM

Why not? We could just say we have more “balls” than all the other FCS programs. Can’t see how Tony/Elf/Admin, BAudit and ECH8 etc should have any problem with that.

EC8CH
01-22-2022, 01:27 AM
Why not? We could just say we have more “balls” than all the other FCS programs. Can’t see how Tony/Elf/Admin, BAudit and ECH8 etc should have any problem with that.

Hi CAS.

https://c.tenor.com/GnMZ61ItPasAAAAM/regina-george-mean-girls.gif

scottietohottie
01-22-2022, 01:46 AM

Do you send your son to be an alter boy?

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 01:53 AM

Do I understand how writing books work? For politicians I have a theory. Pass everything K Street wants we'll have our book writers help you no we'll write it for you and you get paid we get paid your kids get jobs they get paid.
What a country. In Spanish accent.
Mark Kennedy wrote a book he most likely got paid.

Bison Dan
01-22-2022, 12:37 PM
This is what you get when you just believe press releases from the Catholic Church and not understand actual facts.

Funny - the und alumni and foundation stopped this.

El_Chapo
01-22-2022, 01:00 PM
NDSU sits In bad spot right now.

we need a president that can push the envelope, not a yes man.

We need to increase enrollment, increase academia & get NDSU into FBS & make the basketball program elite.

I see 5 lifetime educators that toil for years at small timey universities.

sad.

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 01:36 PM
NDSU sits In bad spot right now.

we need a president that can push the envelope, not a yes man.

We need to increase enrollment, increase academia & get NDSU into FBS & make the basketball program elite.

I see 5 lifetime educators that toil for years at small timey universities.

sad.

What we need in breakfast in bed.
No more books.

Hillary Clinton- It takes a village.
We need more hammers

Sarah Palin- Going Rogue
Drill baby drill, Drill baby drill, Drill baby drill

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 01:42 PM
Bernie Sanders- Our Revolution

Newt Gingrich- To Save America

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 01:55 PM
Ben Carson- Think Big

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 01:59 PM
Ted Cruz- A Time For Truth

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 02:09 PM
Moe Howard- The Three Stooges wrote a book.
I Stooged To Conquer.

unbison
01-22-2022, 02:10 PM
Do you send your son to be an alter boy?

Well? What say you chapo

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 02:22 PM
There are 2 theories to arguing with women- neither work.

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 02:30 PM
Anyone- Who is the best football coach in the local 5 states and 2 Canadian Provinces.

Bueller, Bueller

scottietohottie
01-22-2022, 02:35 PM
Anyone- Who is the best football coach in the local 5 states and 2 Canadian Provinces.

Bueller, Bueller

Trick question.

The answer is CAS, Kevin and Scottie eh.

On Bisonville.

GreenfieldBison
01-22-2022, 02:52 PM
OK this isn't a trick question
If Eddie Beyer set the record for dates with high school girls
How many Bison Cheerleaders has Chapo dated?

Females only? And just what exactly is meant by the term "dated"?

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 03:05 PM

Tongue Action

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 03:15 PM

Truth or not

Chapo loves to French Kiss

scottietohottie
01-22-2022, 03:19 PM
Truth or not

Chapo loves to French Kiss

His grandma says he's the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaJDaz_aKyQ

Mr Meaty
01-22-2022, 03:29 PM

You always are thinking outside the box....

1998braves64
01-22-2022, 04:21 PM
Deleted

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 04:54 PM
Trick question.

The answer is CAS, Kevin and Scottie eh.

On Bisonville.

Which one is bringing back the veer?
He has my vote.

Who misses Eddie saying pitch back Bison touchdown.

southcliffbison
01-22-2022, 06:33 PM
OK this isn't a trick question
If Eddie Beyer set the record for dates with high school girls
How many Bison Cheerleaders has Chapo dated?

What the hell does this have to do with the 5 finalists? Why are you denigrating a legendary high school bb coach and why bring it up in this thread? Moderators ??????

PickedBess
01-22-2022, 10:04 PM
What the hell does this have to do with the 5 finalists? Why are you denigrating a legendary high school bb coach and why bring it up in this thread? Moderators ??????

Please delete your post.

bisonaudit
01-22-2022, 10:08 PM
Did I miss something on Eddie?? The Hillsboro HS legendary boys bball coach?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

I don’t know about any of that but I do know he was a legendary asshole in addition to coaching a bunch of high school basketball games.

Bison Dan
01-22-2022, 10:58 PM
I don’t know about any of that but I do know he was a legendary asshole in addition to coaching a bunch of high school basketball games.

Why because he won a lot?

El_Chapo
01-22-2022, 11:55 PM
might as well delete the last 2 pages.

ndsu is screwed. it was a good run

bisonaudit
01-23-2022, 03:43 AM
Why because he won a lot?

No. Because he treated people like shit.

ByeSonBusiness
01-23-2022, 08:59 PM
No. Because he treated people like shit.

So you guys have something in common?

SDbison
01-24-2022, 02:38 AM
The woke generation wants to destroy more of what is great about America. Just give them more time as they are not done yet. What have they done that has really shown improvement?

EC8CH
01-24-2022, 02:43 AM
The woke generation wants to destroy more of what is great about America. Just give them more time as they are not done yet. What have they done that has really shown improvement?

Curious what you'd list that is great about America? And what things people are destroying.

99Bison
01-24-2022, 12:39 PM
Probably means the very things that define America. Liberty, the constitution, the republic, personal responsibility, etc.

bisonaudit
01-24-2022, 01:05 PM
Probably means the very things that define America. Liberty, the constitution, the republic, personal responsibility, etc.

I agree most of those things are under threat, just not from “wokeness” whatever that is.

EC8CH
01-24-2022, 01:53 PM

Interesting list but was really more curious about what SD thought himself.

Personally one of the things I've always found that is great about America is our freedom to acknowledge our Nation's current and historical shortcomings while still being patriotic citizens who love their country. Whatever is meant by "wokeness" I'm sure it includes to some degree this precise sentiment, that we could have and can be better.

westnodak93bison
01-26-2022, 04:18 PM

Sent from my SM-G975U using TapatalkLol. Weak options.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

westnodak93bison
01-26-2022, 04:31 PM
It couldn't hurt to have business experience but having higher ed leadership is definitely helpful. Every one of these candidates has experience at the executive level running the "business" of a university.

The current president at Purdue is Mitch Daniels. He was an executive at Eli Lilly (Prozac, Cialis) before becoming governor of Indiana so he had both business and government experience but no higher ed experience. He's been very well received and has kept tuition flat most of the time he's been there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using TapatalkLol that some don't value business experience? Most students will work in the real world = business.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

56BISON73
01-26-2022, 06:03 PM

:nod::nod::nod::nod:

Professorbum
01-26-2022, 07:16 PM
I think the candidate from Cal State Chico is next to interview. Can you imagine a campus culture more different than Cal State Chico (historically a VERY liberal campus)? I hope her vision wouldn't be to replicate that here.

IndyBison
01-26-2022, 08:07 PM
I think the candidate from Cal State Chico is next to interview. Can you imagine a campus culture more different than Cal State Chico (historically a VERY liberal campus)? I hope her vision wouldn't be to replicate that here.I'm not sure if it's liberal (Berkeley and Santa Cruz are the UC schools that are crazy liberal but the CSU schools tend to be more conservative relatively,). It's greater reputation is a party school in a very rural part of northern California.

Professorbum
01-26-2022, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure if it's liberal (Berkeley and Santa Cruz are the UC schools that are crazy liberal but the CSU schools tend to be more conservative relatively,). It's greater reputation is a party school in a very rural part of northern California.

I'd feel better if is was Cal State Bakersfield or Fresno State. My recollection of Chico is that its very environmentalist and buys into all the other activist, liberal movements as well. But it has been a long time since I've really looked at them at all, so maybe it isn't as bad as I think.

EC8CH
01-27-2022, 12:40 AM
I'd feel better if is was Cal State Bakersfield or Fresno State. My recollection of Chico is that its very environmentalist and buys into all the other activist, liberal movements as well. But it has been a long time since I've really looked at them at all, so maybe it isn't as bad as I think.

Odd concern to have foremost in mind regarding a new President. Think I'd care more that they are a qualified and ethical person capable of running a University ensuring it continues to provide quality cost effective education to the state and is able to grow the University in size and status.

Oh yeah, and drives the FBS bus bro.

56BISON73
01-27-2022, 01:19 AM

I was in CA 82-88 and Chico was rated a huge party school.

unbison
01-27-2022, 01:23 AM
I was in CA 82-88 and Chico was rated a huge party school.

I knew park workers in Alaska back in the day and they were pretty granola like out of Chico not near as apt to be vegan as say evergreen college people

IndyBison
01-27-2022, 01:53 AM
I knew park workers in Alaska back in the day and they were pretty granola like out of Chico not near as apt to be vegan as say evergreen college peopleIt's a city of 100k (surprised it's that big) in the woods about 90 minutes north of Sacramento. I would guess they are very outdoorsy. I found this data on Niche about the campus. More identified as Democrat than Republican but many felt the campus was fairly moderate. You could twist this any way you wanted.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/37f6489e8d2bb5c98e8b664da9496369.jpg

And compared to NDSU definitely liberal

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/5f4d5ff72037d801be8a8e7c236936ef.jpg

56BISON73
01-27-2022, 02:56 AM
It's a city of 100k (surprised it's that big) in the woods about 90 minutes north of Sacramento. I would guess they are very outdoorsy. I found this data on Niche about the campus. More identified as Democrat than Republican but many felt the campus was fairly moderate. You could twist this any way you wanted.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/37f6489e8d2bb5c98e8b664da9496369.jpg

And compared to NDSU definitely liberal

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/5f4d5ff72037d801be8a8e7c236936ef.jpg

I used to go to Chico or pass through on my way to Butte Meadows when ever I had a week end off for a couple of years when I was stationed in Oakland. Two fun places.

NDSU92
01-27-2022, 04:10 AM
Odd concern to have foremost in mind regarding a new President. Think I'd care more that they are a qualified and ethical person capable of running a University ensuring it continues to provide quality cost effective education to the state and is able to grow the University in size and status.

Would the higher Ed board even approve that candidate? My understanding is that they thought Bresciani was too progressive lol

Good luck getting them to buy off on anyone who’s from CA, regardless of any sort of reality or logic you want to use.

ByeSonBusiness
01-27-2022, 04:47 AM
I would think that a college president can adjust to a new setting. I dont think there are gonna be all that many conservative types that are in the higher ed game.

I know they exist...Kennedy at UND was a GOP congressman wasn't he? I think the guy at Purdue is a conservative guy. I think I've read about him.

FWIW, the university I go to law school at is pretty conservative I think....guess what....the law school is still as liberal as probably anywhere.

Having someone from some liberal area/school isn't gonna be the end of the world. They won't last long if they act up.

El_Chapo
01-27-2022, 02:24 PM
if NDSU doesn't pick Cook. it's over. Cook will push for FBS & higher athletic ceiling

Professorbum
01-27-2022, 04:50 PM

Did you steal a scarecrow from some farmer's cornfield or did you build that strawman yourself? Who says I don't care about an ethical leader who can deliver cost effective education? In fact, I would assume all the candidates have a documented record of ethical and effective leadership to have made the cut. Usually, I put a lot of value in your comments, but on this you are showing little wisdom. Were a president to bring California values and culture and impose them upon NDSU, it absolutely could be damaging. Donors could be offended. The legislature could be offended. Parents might direct their kids toward other higher education options. I'm not saying she would do that. But it isn't a silly question to raise.

EC8CH
01-27-2022, 04:59 PM
Did you steal a scarecrow from some farmer's cornfield or did you build that strawman yourself? Who says I don't care about an ethical leader who can deliver cost effective education? In fact, I would assume all the candidates have a documented record of ethical and effective leadership to have made the cut. Usually, I put a lot of value in your comments, but on this you are showing zero wisdom. Were a president to bring Californial values and culture and impose them upon NDSU, it absolutely could be damaging. Donors could be offended. The legislature could be offended. Parents might direct their kids toward other higher education options. I'm not saying she would do that. But it isn't a silly question to raise.

This is why I don't think I'm stawmaning your primary concern of presidential candidates. I think there are other considerations of much greater concern. That's all.

Professorbum
01-27-2022, 05:17 PM
This is why I don't think I'm stawmaning your primary concern of presidential candidates. I think there are other considerations of much greater concern. That's all.

Okay, that's fine. But I'm not concedeing that the politics or culture of presidential candidates is my primary concern. It is just a concern for that particular candidate, given where she's coming from.

EC8CH
01-27-2022, 05:18 PM
Okay, that's fine. But I'm not concedeing that the politics or culture of presidential candidates is my primary concern. It is just a concern for that particular candidate.

Fair enough.

bisonaudit
01-27-2022, 08:38 PM
I don’t know anything about Chino but from reading this thread it sounds a lot more like Eastern Oregon than California on the “values” front.

StL Bison Fan
01-27-2022, 10:52 PM
When I first read her comments about the three separate schools/goals it reminded me of the Pillar’s that Joe Chapman came up with.
It was a good concept by Chapman and made sense if you worked there. Too bad the article didn’t elaborate to know where she was coming from
https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/ndsu-can-become-stronger-if-it-takes-on-one-university-approach-presidential-candidate-debra-larson-says

56BISON73
01-28-2022, 12:00 AM
I don’t know anything about Chino but from reading this thread it sounds a lot more like Eastern Oregon than California on the “values” front.

Politics changed the further north you went. But that was along time ago.

Professorbum
01-28-2022, 12:25 AM
May have been talked about already...but I'm just now listening to the presentations from the two candidates that have been here thus far. Kansas guy praised NDSU's athletics profile. Talked about the best enrollment year that Kansas ever had was in 2008 (I think) when they won the national championship in basketball and the Orange Bowl in football. Understands the importance of athletics in generating visibility for the university. That's encouraging.

Update...now in the Q & A part of the presentation. An athletics question was asked. Very knowledgeable and active in DI stuff on behalf of KU. I think as I listened to him talk, he sounded like he thinks NDSU should be FBS without saying so explicitly.

Additional Update... Listening to Dr. Larson now. She seems very nice, not particularly ideological, and has a problem-solver mentality. Makes sense given that she is a scientist. Also pleased to hear she is originally from the Upper Peninsula MI. A little nerdy for my preferences, but really smart people tend to be nerdy, so maybe that's good.

cx500d
01-28-2022, 03:14 AM
Chino? Are we getting a warden?

Hammerhead
01-28-2022, 09:16 PM
Politics changed the further north you went. But that was along time ago.

There are still people who want to form a new state named Jefferson that is carved out northern California and a small part of southern Oregon because they don't have much power in state government over the more liberal areas with the big cities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

El_Chapo
01-29-2022, 03:11 PM
woof the last 2.....woof.

Kansas Cook with the early lead.

NDSU1980
01-29-2022, 11:10 PM
woof the last 2.....woof.

Kansas Cook with the early lead.

What's wrong with Tidwell? I thought he was very well spoken. I think he's be better even than Cook.

El_Chapo
01-30-2022, 01:04 AM
What's wrong with Tidwell? I thought he was very well spoken. I think he's be better even than Cook.

good orater. never been at a d1 school. u of texas-tyler?

56BISON73
01-30-2022, 01:28 AM
good orater. never been at a d1 school. u of texas-tyler?

You never went to a D1 school.

IndyBison
01-30-2022, 02:03 AM
You never went to a D1 school.
good orater. never been at a d1 school. u of texas-tyler?He attended Ball State undergrad (volleyball athlete) and Washington State masters and PhD. He was Dean of the College of Business at Eastern Michigan. One of the schools he taught at was Kentucky. I believe they are all D1 schools. A couple of them are P5 schools. Very impressive background and well spoken.

oldmantutters
01-30-2022, 02:19 AM
He attended Ball State undergrad (volleyball athlete) and Washington State masters and PhD. He was Dean of the College of Business at Eastern Michigan. One of the schools he taught at was Kentucky. I believe they are all D1 schools. A couple of them are P5 schools. Very impressive background and well spoken.

Sent from my SM-G975U using TapatalkHaven't seen or heard any of his interview but his bio made it sound like he's had UT-Tyler on a very fast upward trajectory too

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
01-30-2022, 05:47 AM
EASTERN Michigan is dogcrap
men's volleyball. bahahahhahahahahahaha

Professorbum
01-30-2022, 02:17 PM
For me, Tidwell and Cook are neck and neck. Both were impressive in their talks and both have solid administrative experience at good academic institutions. I would be okay with either of these, although I believe Cook is most likely to elevate our athletics program, including football. I had assumed all along that it would be Tidwell who was most likely to do that, given his own background as an athlete. But I think NDSU pursuing FBS is a sure thing under Cook; not so sure under Tidwell.

IndyBison
01-30-2022, 05:02 PM
EASTERN Michigan is dogcrap
men's volleyball. bahahahhahahahahahahaIt's a very good school. All the directional Michigan schools have very good reputations in this part of the country. They aren't at the level of Michigan or Michigan State but still very good. You are showing your regional bias.

NDSU1980
01-30-2022, 05:41 PM
For me, Tidwell and Cook are neck and neck. Both were impressive in their talks and both have solid administrative experience at good academic institutions. I would be okay with either of these, although I believe Cook is most likely to elevate our athletics program, including football. I had assumed all along that it would be Tidwell who was most likely to do that, given his own background as an athlete. But I think NDSU pursuing FBS is a sure thing under Cook; not so sure under Tidwell.

Unless one of the candidates says flat out that he/she is firing Larsen, FBS will never be a sure thing. As long as Larsen is AD we can forget about FBS. Larsen has no ambition.

Professorbum
01-30-2022, 09:29 PM
Unless one of the candidates says flat out that he/she is firing Larsen, FBS will never be a sure thing. As long as Larsen is AD we can forget about FBS. Larsen has no ambition.

I’m guessing, in deference to some of the good things Larson has done, Cook would say “I want us to go FBS. Are you the guy that can make that happen?” If Larson says he can do it, he probably stays. If he says it can’t be done, he gets the boot. At least that’s how I hope it plays out. Or he gets the boot right away. That would be fine too.

Btw, The word from Matt Brown per a CSNbbs thread is that reliable sources say that NDSU was specifically solicited by CUSA and that we told them we don’t want any part of that. If true, unforgivable.

scottietohottie
01-30-2022, 10:08 PM
Btw, The word from Matt Brown per a CSNbbs thread is that reliable sources say that NDSU was specifically solicited by CUSA and that we told them we don’t want any part of that. If true, unforgivable.

For fucks sake.

PickedBess
01-30-2022, 11:30 PM
I’m guessing, in deference to some of the good things Larson has done, Cook would say “I want us to go FBS. Are you the guy that can make that happen?” If Larson says he can do it, he probably stays. If he says it can’t be done, he gets the boot. At least that’s how I hope it plays out. Or he gets the boot right away. That would be fine too.

There are 65 Universities playing big boy football.
The rest are powder puff in comparison.
Trust the Gov.

PickedBess
01-31-2022, 12:21 AM
Trust the Gov.

El_Chapo invented Powder Puff football. And many other things.

Archangel Michael- I invented marriage.
I saw all all these people who were milling around, trying to get together, everything was in chaos so I told em have a ceremony.

Michael- You gotta learn to laugh, it's the way to true love.

Hammerhead
02-01-2022, 05:26 PM
Trust the Gov.

Half of those 65 universities are in P5 conferences but are hardly ever competitive.

Herd
02-01-2022, 05:45 PM

I would imagine NDSU was contacted by CUSA. I’m not sure if there’d be more criticism of NDSU saying yes or no to CUSA. That’s a close call. The one thing you can bet on that a CUSA invite was an all sport invite, an not a football only.

I’d like to see a bville polls on “should NDSU accept an all sports invitation to CUSA” yes/no. I’d guess it would be 40% yes, 60% no. Just a guess.

If you want to get to the MWC, you might have to first take the CUSA route. If we could convince IL State and Mo State to go too, I’d say yes.

Professorbum
02-01-2022, 05:52 PM
I would imagine NDSU was contacted by CUSA. I’m not sure if there’d be more criticism of NDSU saying yes or no to CUSA. That’s a close call. The one thing you can bet on that a CUSA invite was an all sport invite, an not a football only.

I’d like to see a bville polls on “should NDSU accept an all sports invitation to CUSA” yes/no. I’d guess it would be 40% yes, 60% no. Just a guess.

If you want to get to the MWC, you might have to first take the CUSA route.

I'm sure there would have been criticism for saying yes. But I believe it would have been drowned out by excitement at the prospect of going FBS. There is no excitement at staying put while other decent FCS schools make the move. Only depression.

Herd
02-01-2022, 06:12 PM
I'm sure there would have been criticism for saying yes. But I believe it would have been drowned out by excitement at the prospect of going FBS. There is no excitement at staying put while other decent FCS schools make the move. Only depression.

I’d be a go if MO State and IL State would jump on board. It would be tough to play the conf basketball tournament so far away, but it might be time to jump.

I’d say, win #10, get some MVFC support in place, then go. I don’t think the MWC invite ever comes unless we are in CUSA.

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-01-2022, 06:16 PM
I’d be a go if MO State and IL State would jump on board. It would be tough to play the conf basketball tournament so far away, but it might be time to jump.

That would be cool. Problem is that CUSA's media deal is garbage right now.

But in the bigger picture, I expect it will play out much the same way it did when the Bison decided to jump from D2 to FCS.

I wasn’t around then, but I gather there was a significant chunk of the NDSU fanbase that couldn’t fathom the idea of leaving D2. I wonder how they feel now …

The one thing I see occurring over and over is people assuming that current rules and regulations will apply, but the whole thing is getting a major rebuild. I posted this in the FBS thread, but it is worth a read. Jacks AD essentially saying that there’s no need for a split - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ncaa-ratifies-new-constitution-paving-way-to-restructuring/2022/01/20/c98ce58c-7a2e-11ec-9dce-7313579de434_story.html

The other thing I would expect to see come out of this is a set of clear and simple criteria for making the jump to FBS, since much of the emphasis appears to be on preventing future law suites (e.g., upstart FCS conference suing to move up to get a piece of playoff $$).

TAILG8R
02-01-2022, 09:42 PM
That would be cool. Problem is that CUSA's media deal is garbage right now.

Wouldn't it be fun to see NDSU go to an FBS conference with a bad media deal and get a sweetheart deal where they get to create their own media deal?

oldmantutters
02-01-2022, 09:57 PM
Back to the discussion of the 5 finalists. When is the decision to be made? Is there a chance that they would reject all finalists and re-post the job?

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-01-2022, 10:02 PM
Back to the discussion of the 5 finalists. When is the decision to be made? Is there a chance that they would reject all finalists and re-post the job?

Guessing the NDUS won’t let them, but not sure

Your top candidate is up tomorrow, I believe ;)

GCWaters
02-02-2022, 12:07 AM

From the campus email: "Following the on-campus interviews, the search committee will recommend an unranked slate of finalists to the State Board of Higher Education. The board will conduct final interviews on the NDSU campus on Wednesday, February 23, 2022, with the selection of the next NDSU president announced thereafter. It is anticipated that the new NDSU president will assume office in June 2022."

Hard to imagine a situation where they'd bail...

acf2
02-02-2022, 04:09 PM
There was lots of engineering talk in this thread a few pages back. This seems relevant:
https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/bismarck/u-mary-continental-resources-announce-12-million-gift-for-engineering-school/article_6384ee20-b9ba-519d-882b-d686685fe77e.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-02-2022, 10:19 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the open forum of today’s candidate?

heckler
02-03-2022, 01:17 PM

If that is true Larsen needs to go back east.

tony
02-03-2022, 02:29 PM
If that is true Larsen needs to go back east.

Isn't changing conference/subdivision affiliation a decision made by the university's president? I cannot believe that a decision of that magnitude would be left to an AD.

GCWaters
02-03-2022, 02:39 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the open forum of today’s candidate?

I thought he did well. The open forums, to me, have been fairly fluffy. In a small group setting, this guy did very well.

GCWaters
02-03-2022, 02:40 PM
Isn't changing conference/subdivision affiliation a decision made by the university's president? I cannot believe that a decision of that magnitude would be left to an AD.

Nothing in this area gets done without the president's approval. Chapo should be going after Bresciani....

southcliffbison
02-03-2022, 02:58 PM

At the time of this conversation/invite, Bresciani knew he was on the way out; I'm sure he wanted to wash his hands of it (like Pontius Pilate); just kick the can down the street and let the next dude deal with it.........path of least resistance.

El_Chapo
02-03-2022, 02:59 PM
i talked to bresciani i told him THIS COULD BE YOUR LEGACY ! people would look back and see you as the reason.

politics wise i think he was just done with it all 3-4 years ago, then covid hit, blah blah.

Kansas Cook has to be this next president. the other 4 lack any sense of intestinal fortitude ...

PickedBess
02-03-2022, 04:12 PM
There was lots of engineering talk in this thread a few pages back. This seems relevant:
https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/bismarck/u-mary-continental-resources-announce-12-million-gift-for-engineering-school/article_6384ee20-b9ba-519d-882b-d686685fe77e.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

The genius behind all the decisions in
North Dakota.

Suave! Goddam your one suave fuxxer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwXfh-3bro

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-03-2022, 05:02 PM
Did anyone catch the questions today? I couldn’t tune in unfortunately

I assume someone asked her about her vision for Bison athletics

If so, what was her response?

Professorbum
02-03-2022, 05:53 PM

Sure. But that doesn't explain the last several years when we had a president who wasn't on his way out. So one of several things has been happening over the years: 1) DB and ML had no vision for Bison football and therefore did not make any effort to move up; 2) DB didn't want to move up and so ML's hands were tied; or 3) DB and ML wanted to move up but couldn't make it happen.

If #1 is true, both need to leave. If #2 is true, ML failed to make the case to DB or show how it could be done, so both should still leave. If #3 is true (and it isn't, otherwise we'd be joining CUSA now), then both failed to make the case to prospective conferences and failed to pitch the vision publicly to grow support. So both should leave. DB is leaving; one down, one to go. Both did good things for the institution while here. But on the matter football, there has been a lack of vision and a lack of urgency over what NDSU football could be. I think we need to new leadership in athletics to take us to the next level in hoops and football.

NDSU1980
02-03-2022, 10:37 PM
She says the football program was discontinued because it was 2-64. Translation: We didn't want to make the effort to improve. I'll take Cook or Tidwell. https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/ndsu-needs-to-proclaim-its-successes-loudly-presidential-candidate-mary-holz-clause-says

CAS4127
02-04-2022, 12:46 AM
She says the football program was discontinued because it was 2-64. Translation: We didn't want to make the effort to improve. I'll take Cook or Tidwell. https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/ndsu-needs-to-proclaim-its-successes-loudly-presidential-candidate-mary-holz-clause-says

When my computer isn’t working correctly, I unplug/reboot. Can we do the same here and open up applications please?!?!

ndsubison1
02-04-2022, 01:20 PM

I agree. On paper Cook or Tidwell I think would be fine.

El_Chapo
02-04-2022, 02:25 PM
whos making this decision? we need to contact these people & demand Cook.

HerdBot
02-04-2022, 02:51 PM
I'm not overly impressed with any of them but Cook or Tidwell seem to my favorites

Elvis was a Bison
02-04-2022, 03:39 PM

Really???

If the people making this decision are going to submit to the demands of a mid-forties "internet warrior", then we have the wrong people making this decision!

Professorbum
02-04-2022, 10:07 PM
Down to 3 finalists to be interviewed by the BoHE: Cook, El_Rewini, and Holz-Clause. Interviews on Feb 23rd.

I'm bummed that Tidwell didn't make the cut. Hoping for Cook.

NDSU_grad
02-04-2022, 10:38 PM
Down to 3 finalists to be interviewed by the BoHE: Cook, El_Rewini, and Holz-Clause. Interviews on Feb 23rd.

El-Riwini was extremely well liked at UND. Plus he was a provost. Him having an understanding of the NDUS and the region in general might give him an advantage. I think either him or Cook would be fine.

Professorbum
02-04-2022, 10:47 PM
El-Riwini was extremely well liked at UND. Plus he was a provost. Him having an understanding of the NDUS and the region in general might give him an advantage. I think either him or Cook would be fine.

I feel like he'd have dual loyalty. In athletics, he wouldn't be willing to have NDSU go it alone if needed to move forward.

unbison
02-04-2022, 11:01 PM

Just curious why you feel they would listen to a Minnesota resident?

El_Chapo
02-05-2022, 02:08 AM
I feel like he'd have dual loyalty. In athletics, he wouldn't be willing to have NDSU go it alone if needed to move forward.

this^^^^ it's cook or die.
I'm an alum who cares about his institution

NDSU1980
02-05-2022, 02:18 AM
this^^^^ it's cook or die.
I'm an alum who cares about his institution

Remind me again, what year did you graduate?

El_Chapo
02-05-2022, 03:24 AM
Remind me again, what year did you graduate?

right b4 2000

PickedBess
02-05-2022, 03:44 AM
Chapo looks like y'all are gunna get

The Weenie

It's gunna be great.��

NDSU_grad
02-05-2022, 04:08 AM
No offense but that’s not how grown-ups function in the professional world. A position of this magnitude is about leadership, how you build and support teams, development, and a vision that you hold about whatever your industry you’re in.
If you convey that vision and have the leadership skills to execute it you’re the guy. His experience at UND can only be looked at as a plus in this instance. Particularly since his time there was perceived so positively.

PickedBess
02-05-2022, 04:26 AM
They say history repeats itself

Bob Entizon

PickedBess
02-05-2022, 04:37 AM
I remember hearing these same things, seeing all the hand wringing, etc when Joe Chapman retired. Things turned out alright then and I think we'll be alright this time as well. I doubt any president wants to be remembered as the person who killed off Bison football. Just don't hire the asshole connected to und. I still remember Bob Entzion.

I forgot you posted that

ByeSonBusiness
02-05-2022, 05:33 AM

This seems like a conspiracy theory.

southcliffbison
02-05-2022, 02:31 PM
They say history repeats itself

Bob Entizon

.....only if you don't learn from it.....

Professorbum
02-05-2022, 03:57 PM
This seems like a conspiracy theory.

I'm not talking conspiracy. There's no plot afoot. Just human nature. There's going to be a lot of pressure from the BoHE to be a "team" player. It will take some leadership to draw the lines for the board as to what is a legitimate team player expectation and what isn't. If you already have a significant fondness for our chief rival in the state, then you will more easily succumb to placating the board and that other institution.

Hansel
02-05-2022, 04:01 PM
Anyone else thinking it will be Holz-Clause?

bisonaudit
02-05-2022, 04:15 PM
I'm not talking conspiracy. There's no plot afoot. Just human nature. There's going to be a lot of pressure from the BoHE to be a "team" player. It will take some leadership to draw the lines for the board as to what is a legitimate team player expectation and what isn't. If you already have a significant fondness for our chief rival in the state, then you will more easily succumb to placating the board and that other institution.

Or, the fact that he has no animosity toward the school up north gives his position currency with people who may otherwise have their Kelly green and pink blinders on when it comes to certain issues.

Hammersmith
02-05-2022, 04:33 PM
Or, the fact that he has no animosity toward the school up north gives his position currency with people who may otherwise have their Kelly green and pink blinders on when it comes to certain issues.

Along those same lines, it might be useful to have good intelligence on the day to day dealings of upper UND admin. Their personalities and priorities. Would make it easier to know how to craft proposals and programs in ways to avoid unnecessary problems, or to know to prepare for battle when those problems can't be avoided.

Something like how a major law firm that specializes in corporate and investment law might hire former SEC lawyers in order to better understand the personalities and general strategies of the SEC. At least until one of your nutbag clients threatens to fire your entire law firm because he hates the SEC that much. But that would never happen <coughElonMuskcough>.

Don't mind me, just woke up from a 16hr, Nyquil-induced coma.

ByeSonBusiness
02-05-2022, 05:39 PM

I'm with you. Plus, who cares? If the guy is the most qualified for the job, that's who I want. People generally want what's best for themselves and their org.

Being the Grand Poobah of the only FBS school in the state sounds better to me than holding back the my school because I used to work at the rival school.

Bo Schembechler was an assistant at Ohio State before going to Michigan. Enough said.

scottietohottie
02-05-2022, 06:15 PM
Bisonville sure could use a few more grand forks posters.

PickedBess
02-05-2022, 06:44 PM
.....only if you don't learn from it.....

What if you could learn from the smartest ever. Maybe Chapo did.

Albert Einstein
Hugh Everett
Marie Curie
Nicola Tesla

Hugh Everett not that familiar with him as the others. So I took a look at his work.
He wrote studied-
The Many Worlds of Quantum Mechanics. Incoherence Theory.
I can only imagine what thoughts go thru his and the rest minds.

scottietohottie
02-05-2022, 06:59 PM
What if you could learn from the smartest ever. Maybe Chapo did.

Albert Einstein
Hugh Everett
Marie Curie
Nicola Tesla

Hugh Everett not that familiar with him as the others. So I took a look at his work.
He wrote studied-
The Many Worlds of Quantum Mechanics. Incoherence Theory.
I can only imagine what thoughts go thru his and the rest minds.

I didn't apply for the job bro

El_Chapo
02-05-2022, 08:34 PM
Cmon ... Gotta be cook else ndsu athletics are toast...

ndsubison1
02-06-2022, 03:17 AM

Not good...

HerdBot
02-06-2022, 03:24 AM
Cmon ... Gotta be cook else ndsu athletics are toast...

I agree. That's why the SBOHE is going to hire an anti sports President. It's all part of their secret master plan. None of these candidates are better than Breschani and I was critical of him and the declining enrollment

BigHorns
02-06-2022, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure why folks think Cook is more likely to take us to FBS than El-Rewini is. FBS opportunities are largely determined by factors beyond our control. If/when Boise leaves the MWC, that will create an opening we would be interested in.

The President's job is to lead the university and El-Rewini has a good track record on the academic side of things. I know we have a hatred for all things UND, but he may be able to accomplish more due to his connections. Any president wants the best for the university they lead. The idea they would sabotage athletics is just silly.

El_Chapo
02-07-2022, 01:49 AM
I'm not sure why folks think Cook is more likely to take us to FBS than El-Rewini is. FBS opportunities are largely determined by factors beyond our control. If/when Boise leaves the MWC, that will create an opening we would be interested in.

The President's job is to lead the university and El-Rewini has a good track record on the academic side of things. I know we have a hatred for all things UND, but he may be able to accomplish more due to his connections. Any president wants the best for the university they lead. The idea they would sabotage athletics is just silly.

this guy hasn't met academia minds has he.

Cook was at Kansas. Kansas is Big 12 & huge basketball school that rubs off on every single person there. period.

the und guy probably will want d1 hockey & the female from Crookston. hahaha I can't finish that sentence, we'd be the laughingstock of all universities.

BISONBRI53
02-07-2022, 02:28 PM
this guy hasn't met academia minds has he.

Cook was at Kansas. Kansas is Big 12 & huge basketball school that rubs off on every single person there. period.

the und guy probably will want d1 hockey & the female from Crookston. hahaha I can't finish that sentence, we'd be the laughingstock of all universities.

Kind of like you on here!

El_Chapo
02-07-2022, 02:35 PM
Kind of like you on here!

or you in the bedroom. i'd take the former

Kansas vs Crookston or fucking MaryMount. cmon
please tell me we stacked the deck and rigged this to get Mr Cook from Kansas so I can feel better.

PickedBess
02-07-2022, 03:49 PM
or you in the bedroom. i'd take the former

Kansas vs Crookston or fucking MaryMount. cmon
please tell me we stacked the deck and rigged this to get Mr Cook from Kansas so I can feel better.

Do you think John Hoeven would take the job he may want out of politics.

But he might not like the Red River Valley winters.

ByeSonBusiness
02-07-2022, 05:52 PM

Why would John Hoeven want out? He's the most popular politician probably in North Dakota history.

2000 - 55%
2004 - 71%
2008 - 74%
2010 - 76%
2016 - 78%
2022 - ????

Hansel
02-07-2022, 05:56 PM

I would think Burghum might want the job when he is done in Bismarck.

bisonaudit
02-07-2022, 05:56 PM

Gross, if he ends up in North Fargo and Becker is in Washington everyone will be worse off.

PickedBess
02-07-2022, 06:07 PM
Why would John Hoeven want out? He's the most popular politician probably in North Dakota history.

2000 - 55%
2004 - 71%
2008 - 74%
2010 - 76%
2016 - 78%
2022 - ????

Probably maybe the same reason Rick Berg said.
I'm done.
The guys on the inside next to K Street Know the truth.
How bad is it. Who knows maybe aittle bad maybe a lot bad.

bisonaudit
02-07-2022, 06:08 PM
I would think Burghum might want the job when he is done in Bismarck.

He’d have more say over how the university is run as president than he does over how the state is run as governor, but conversely, the legislature would be an even bigger pain in his ass then that are now.

El_Chapo
02-07-2022, 06:15 PM
Burgum should resign governor & become NDSU president. Absolutely Chefs kiss. new downtown 50,000 seat stadium, let's gooo

PickedBess
02-07-2022, 06:22 PM
Burgum should resign governor & become NDSU president. Absolutely Chefs kiss. new downtown 50,000 seat stadium, let's gooo

YOU Mr. El_Chapo could should make that all a reality.

PickedBess
02-07-2022, 06:25 PM

Why do you take these insults?
Show them what you can do.
It's all yours El_Chapo

ByeSonBusiness
02-07-2022, 06:31 PM
Gross, if he ends up in North Fargo and Becker is in Washington everyone will be worse off.

Don't worry, Hoeven is just waiting for me to be ready to step in. Then he'll retire :)

NDSU1980
02-07-2022, 10:43 PM

Zero chance Becker beats Hoeven in the primary. Burgum will make sure of that.

bisonaudit
02-08-2022, 12:21 AM
Zero chance Becker beats Hoeven in the primary. Burgum will make sure of that.

If the governor were a king maker in the ND Republican Party that would be news.

El_Chapo
02-08-2022, 12:34 AM
I'm actually surprised there isn't more conversations here or local.media on this search. it's weird

southcliffbison
02-08-2022, 01:45 AM

Are you saying the citizens of ND could be worse off then they are now with the existing "leadership" now in DC?

NDSU1980
02-08-2022, 01:50 AM
If the governor were a king maker in the ND Republican Party that would be news.

Burgum pushed hard against the radical right in the last election. Put a lot of his own money in to do it.

TAILG8R
02-08-2022, 01:51 AM
Burgum pushed hard against the radical right in the last election. Put a lot of his own money in to do it.So he does have some sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bisonaudit
02-08-2022, 02:10 AM
Are you saying the citizens of ND could be worse off then they are now with the existing "leadership" now in DC?

Trading Hoeven for Rick Becker? No question.

El_Chapo
02-08-2022, 02:21 AM
who gives a F About senators etc etc

you all need to full court press David Cook across this finish line.

BigHorns
02-08-2022, 03:49 AM
I'm actually surprised there isn't more conversations here or local.media on this search. it's weird

Why would they discuss it before interviews occur on the 23rd?
Anything that comes out now would appear unprofessional.

GCWaters
02-08-2022, 12:55 PM

What's there to discuss? Like it or not, the decision is now entirely up to the State Board...nothing to do but wait.

El_Chapo
02-08-2022, 02:08 PM
What's there to discuss? Like it or not, the decision is now entirely up to the State Board...nothing to do but wait.

Tailgate Rig Convoy ?

PickedBess
02-08-2022, 03:40 PM
Burgum pushed hard against the radical right in the last election. Put a lot of his own money in to do it.

Maybe there are Legislators questioning things.

That's a no no.

NDSU1980
02-19-2022, 08:15 PM
Cook is the favorite among the three. https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/1-ndsu-presidential-candidate-gets-overwhelmingly-positive-feedback-others-see-mixed-reviews

BigHorns
02-19-2022, 11:13 PM
Cook is the favorite among the three. https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/1-ndsu-presidential-candidate-gets-overwhelmingly-positive-feedback-others-see-mixed-reviews

Big 12 here we come! :bong:

23Bison
02-20-2022, 07:39 PM
Big 12 here we come! :bong:

And just think. The WM guess think that we wouldn’t be able to just jump into their conference. Wait till we skip them and go straight to the BIG XII. Lol

The_Sicatoka
02-22-2022, 07:48 PM
I won't be surprised if they pick the safe, "known quantity" (Hesham el Rewini). And NDSU would be getting a good one.

El_Chapo
02-22-2022, 08:14 PM
Close NDSU down if Cook isn't President. friggin ridiculous if it's the other 2, also. Bresciani should be pres 3 more years & move us up FFS

PickedBess
02-22-2022, 10:40 PM
Close NDSU down if Cook isn't President. friggin ridiculous if it's the other 2, also. Bresciani should be pres 3 more years & move us up FFS

You may eat those words.
Engineering on steroids.