PDA

View Full Version : Buddha Williams to Colorado St

tolnabison
12-30-2021, 03:12 AM
Looks like DE coach, Buddha Williams will be the new DLine coach at Colorado St. He will follow former Bison, and current Montana St Defensive Coordinator Freddie Banks there.

https://twitter.com/espnrittenberg/status/1476356582690672644?s=21

Hopefully we can retain most of the staff. Success leads to other opportunities. Example, Roehl getting an interview for the head job at ETSU.

Side note: SDSU has lost Jason Eck OC/OLine coach to be Head Coach at Idaho. Luke Schleusner, SDSU WR coach, will follow Eck to Idaho to be their OC. Brian Bergstrom, SDSU Co-DC/Safeties to be new Head Coach at Winona St.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1476236295772852231?s=21 (https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1476236295772852231?
s=21)

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/status/1476282056665714689?s=21

23Bison
12-30-2021, 03:25 AM
Well damn. I liked Buddah. I wish him luck.

El_Chapo
12-30-2021, 03:47 AM
well Colorado St fans will be watching... #MWC !

SDbison
12-30-2021, 04:38 AM
well Colorado St fans will be watching... #MWC ! Mountain West won't invite us, but they sure like to steal our coaches!

El_Chapo
12-30-2021, 05:06 AM
Mountain West won't invite us, but they sure like to steal our coaches!

Tim Miles Twice!!! Craig Bohl.... Jamar Cain Fresno...

BisonHorns
12-30-2021, 10:04 AM
What is Greg Menard up to? Bring him back to coach. He is Bison through and through!

bruinbison
12-30-2021, 10:29 AM
Congrats to Coach Williams!

Am assuming/guessing he finishes the season?
Had read where Freddie Banks is finishing the season with Montana State.

Does recruiting territory come into consideration when choosing a new assistant?
Coach Williams was handling the Atlanta area, possibly sharing Tampa Bay with Coach Pauley.

As mentioned Coach Menard has a nice ring to it!……or ring(s) I should say…
But isn’t he an engineer somewhere?

bruinbison
12-30-2021, 10:53 AM
Side note: SDSU has lost Jason Eck OC/OLine coach to be Head Coach at Idaho. Luke Schleusner, SDSU WR coach, will follow Eck to Idaho to be their OC. Brian Bergstrom, SDSU Co-DC/Safeties to be new Head Coach at Winona St.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1476236295772852231?s=21 (https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1476236295772852231?
s=21)

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/status/1476282056665714689?s=21

Didn’t Coach Stig just get a 2 year contract extension?
Coach Eck seemed like someone who wanted to be the heir apparent but now with the Idaho job has moved past that.
Two ways to look at it; they left because Stig ain’t retiring…:)
Or they left because they want additional experience for when Stig does retire…:) and they apply for the Brookings job.
SDSU’s coaching tree has a couple guys at Northern Illinois also.

Schleusner and Bergstrom each get a nice bump in job description also.
Schleusner Especially should get a nice pay raise.

WeAreThePride
12-30-2021, 11:36 AM
What is Greg Menard up to? Bring him back to coach. He is Bison through and through!

If I recall, he was a 3.5+ civil engineering major. Hopefully he's out there building bridges and flood diversions.

HerdBot
12-30-2021, 12:14 PM
That's a bummer. He's given us so many good years and I wish him well.

We've done a really good job of retaining coaches despite the success. Hopefully it stays that way

Professor Chaos
12-30-2021, 12:25 PM
Not that I'm complaining but it seems kind of strange (in a good way) that Goeser is still here while all these other DL coaches like Cain and Williams cycle through. He's been on the staff since 2010 I believe (through 2 head coaching changes) which seems like an eternity for an FCS assistant coach. Kudos to him!

THEsocalledfan
12-30-2021, 01:17 PM
From what I can tell (which sure is limited), we were lucky to hang onto Buddha as long as we did. Listen to Vigen's interview with Culhane yesterday. Yes, you need to recruit well to roll a d-line like NDSU does, but you can't overlook the work of Coach K and Buddha when you see what they are doing. We closed out the JMU win due to it.

ndsubison1
12-30-2021, 01:18 PM
Not that I'm complaining but it seems kind of strange (in a good way) that Goeser is still here while all these other DL coaches like Cain and Williams cycle through. He's been on the staff since 2010 I believe (through 2 head coaching changes) which seems like an eternity for an FCS assistant coach. Kudos to him!

Maybe he wants to remain a Bison? I could see him with DC potential. Not to mention our special teams has been epic this year.

HerdBot
12-30-2021, 01:20 PM

We've been very fortunate to have Nick for this long. Not all coaches are looking to move every 5 years. I know he is a Midwest guy from Wisconsin so he fits in culturally. If he wanted to uproot his family for a raise I'm sure he could because he's really good at his job

Also just because someone takes another job doesn't mean they are simply uprooting their family either. Everyone's life is different

EC8CH
12-30-2021, 01:40 PM

And... dare I say it? Jim Kramer.

Bisonator98
12-30-2021, 02:51 PM

Nick is definitely an undersung rock of this program. He deserves a ton of credit and probably a healthy raise if nothing else!

StL Bison Fan
12-30-2021, 03:14 PM
And... dare I say it? Jim Kramer.

Kramer stays because of his children. When they graduate, start sweating.

tony
12-30-2021, 03:33 PM
Good luck to a great coach!

TAILG8R
12-30-2021, 03:36 PM
Maybe he wants to remain a Bison? I could see him with DC potential. Not to mention our special teams has been epic this year.

Return game maybe, everything else has been very suspect at times.

Bison 4 Life
12-30-2021, 03:51 PM
Stability is undervalued in the ever increasing world of job hopping.

Twentysix
12-30-2021, 06:40 PM
Stability is undervalued in the ever increasing world of acquiring raises.

Fify. 10 char

Jay
12-30-2021, 07:34 PM
Buddha will get himself a nice raise. One piece w/ NDSU wanting to move up... our coaching salary pool would need to increase a decent amount.

NDSU1980
12-30-2021, 07:51 PM
Buddha will get himself a nice raise. One piece w/ NDSU wanting to move up... our coaching salary pool would need to increase a decent amount.

Interesting, coming from you Jay. Do you have any proof that anyone at NDSU is actually wanting to move? I mean besides the permanent Matt Larsen comment "We're waiting for an opportunity". Not the same as "Wanting to move up". I'm just wondering if we should be reading something into that.

Jay
12-30-2021, 07:55 PM
Interesting, coming from you Jay. Do you have any proof that anyone at NDSU is actually wanting to move? I mean besides the permanent Matt Larsen comment "We're waiting for an opportunity". Not the same as "Wanting to move up". I'm just wondering if we should be reading something into that.

I probably wrote that bad... I think general consensus is if we got the right call, we would move up.

NDSU1980
12-30-2021, 08:02 PM
I probably wrote that bad... I think general consensus is if we got the right call, we would move up.

Thanks for the clarification. In other words, we're still "waiting for an opportunity".

HerdBot
12-30-2021, 11:00 PM

For sure. Our assistant coaches get paid quite well for the FCS. Also they get $1500 for 8 wins, $1750 for each home playoff game ($5250) and $2,250 for a Natty win, which adds 9 grand

To put it in perspective, if you are at a smaller ND school like Minot or Valley City, it's much less. The Minot State HEAD coach only makes 90k (less than all but 6 of our assistant coaches before bonuses) while their assistant coaches make less than our support staff

Mayville States head coach makes less than all of our position coaches

But I would think we need to up everyone significantly at FBS. Right now we are protected against lateral moves within the FCS but higher G5 can pay way more

I think we need to up everyone even if we stay at the FCS. Coaching retention is a huge part of success. We should be paying head coach 750k, the coordinators 350k and all assistants 200k.

El_Chapo
05-22-2023, 02:45 AM
is Buddha & Freddie still at Colorado State is the reason for the NDSU pipeline. DUH