PDA

View Full Version : More talent, less development?

Twincitybizon
12-22-2021, 05:12 PM
Not taking about players but coaches. We're arguably more talented than any other team in the division year in year out now. Do you think that's holding back coaches from getting better play calling/scheming? Right now we can have a poor plan with mistakes and execute it at B+ level. And win most games. Adjustments? Eh it'll work eventually. And it usually does. Because we're better than they are

El_Chapo
12-22-2021, 06:48 PM
we finished top 4 with our backups last spring basically in the fcs.. what do you think

HerdBot
12-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Our development goes through the roof when you have winter camp, pretty much every year. That's like an extra 3 weeks of practice for the younger or inexperienced players and since school is done, it's 100% of their focus. To get a grasp of what 3 weeks gives you... regular fall camp is only 4 weeks and towards the end, classes start.

Only 2 teams in the nation get that. Then you got your spring ball, which really isn't too far removed from Frisco.

Twincitybizon
12-22-2021, 08:04 PM
Am I surprised Chapo read nothing I wrote? No, I am not. Herdbot, I am disappointed, not mad, just disappointed. Talking about coaches getting better and whether that's hampered by our superior talent

BISONBRI53
12-22-2021, 08:10 PM
I think to many this is the case since ME took over

HerdBot
12-22-2021, 08:24 PM
Am I surprised Chapo read nothing I wrote? No, I am not. Herdbot, I am disappointed, not mad, just disappointed. Talking about coaches getting better and whether that's hampered by our superior talent

I don't think so, but I get what you're saying. It's easy to just run power. It seems like historically, we are worse when we try to get more complicated. Remember Carson Wentz? He's in and we lose to Montana and USD and the things get simplified for Stick and we are better because of it. What frustrated me about our offense was how we tried so hard to not do what we are good at. We got back to it, and now we're good

scottietohottie
12-22-2021, 08:31 PM
I mean they don't even practice the 2 minute drill. Timeouts drive me crazy. Yeah it's nice to have them when you need them but just go back and read the first sentence in this post. I feel you go into halftime with 3 timeouts maybe the coach isn't coaching. Sdsu being a perfect example. When they did the trick play. Matt needed to call timeout. Gets caught up watching the game. The talent is definitely slowing coach development. Not a doubt in my mind.

scottietohottie
12-22-2021, 09:03 PM
Wonder how long they've been working on that flying V allow a blocked punt formation?

IndyBison
12-22-2021, 09:10 PM
I mean they don't even practice the 2 minute drill. Timeouts drive me crazy. Yeah it's nice to have them when you need them but just go back and read the first sentence in this post. I feel you go into halftime with 3 timeouts maybe the coach isn't coaching. Sdsu being a perfect example. When they did the trick play. Matt needed to call timeout. Gets caught up watching the game. The talent is definitely slowing coach development. Not a doubt in my mind.There was no indication it was a trick play until the ball was snapped. How do you call a time out after the ball was snapped?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

scottietohottie
12-22-2021, 09:27 PM
There was no indication it was a trick play until the ball was snapped. How do you call a time out after the ball was snapped?

They rushed to the line. Go back and watch. I've already said this in the game thread. The trick was the icing on the cake. The defense wouldn't have stopped a dive up the middle either because they weren't ready. It was fourth down. Call timeout.

The_Sicatoka
12-22-2021, 09:30 PM
Our development goes through the roof when you have winter camp, pretty much every year. That's like an extra 3 weeks of practice for the younger or inexperienced players and since school is done, it's 100% of their focus. To get a grasp of what 3 weeks gives you... regular fall camp is only 4 weeks and towards the end, classes start.

Only 2 teams in the nation get that. Then you got your spring ball, which really isn't too far removed from Frisco.

I've long been jealous of that advantage of your deep runs. That time is invaluable. The only thing better than that is when you folks roll up a four score lead and can play your twos and threes (get them experience and protect your ones).

scottietohottie
12-22-2021, 09:31 PM
Before the snap I thought timeout. It's an entire different thing to actually call it I know. I only have to press select on the controller to call timeout. It's that big white pad in the middle now that I hit bro.

The_Sicatoka
12-22-2021, 09:33 PM
It seems like historically, we are worse when we try to get more complicated.

An outsiders view:

NDSU, when they're winning and whuppin' up on teams, doesn't do anything exceptional, but what they do they do exceptionally well.

I can't remember last time NDSU missed a block on A-gap power. That play is not exceptional, but it's done exceptionally well.

gavin2126
12-22-2021, 09:51 PM
They rushed to the line. Go back and watch. I've already said this in the game thread. The trick was the icing on the cake. The defense wouldn't have stopped a dive up the middle either because they weren't ready. It was fourth down. Call timeout.

They did that all season on 3rd/4th & 1 and I think we were prepared for that. They did a great job of designing a play based on what they had been setting up all year.

scottietohottie
12-22-2021, 10:12 PM
They did that all season on 3rd/4th & 1 and I think we were prepared for that. They did a great job of designing a play based on what they had been setting up all year.

Like I said. From my recliner I said call timeout before the snap. That's why the play is stuck in my head. Not because of the play itself.

GreenfieldBison
12-22-2021, 11:40 PM
I mean they don't even practice the 2 minute drill. Timeouts drive me crazy. Yeah it's nice to have them when you need them but just go back and read the first sentence in this post. I feel you go into halftime with 3 timeouts maybe the coach isn't coaching. Sdsu being a perfect example. When they did the trick play. Matt needed to call timeout. Gets caught up watching the game. The talent is definitely slowing coach development. Not a doubt in my mind.

Teams who practice 2 minute drill = losers.
Teams who practice keep away = winners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenfieldBison
12-22-2021, 11:43 PM
An outsiders view:

NDSU, when they're winning and whuppin' up on teams, doesn't do anything exceptional, but what they do they do exceptionally well.

I can't remember last time NDSU missed a block on A-gap power. That play is not exceptional, but it's done exceptionally well.

And be honest now, INCREDIBLY sexy!!

scottietohottie
12-23-2021, 01:53 AM
And be honest now, INCREDIBLY sexy!!

The green is definitely better over here.

IndyBison
12-23-2021, 02:02 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkEvery college scrimmage or practice I've officiated they have a segment running a 2 minute drill. But they play it out however it happens so sometimes they go 3 and out. There is no way you could possibly practice every possible scenario in the last 2 minutes. It seems pretty logical from the recliner to call time out with 3-4 seconds but immersed in the game you are thinking of multiple things and make quick decisions. Low risk but it could have bit them.

HerdBot
12-23-2021, 02:18 AM

Teams that practice the hurry up goal line ogre package at midfield = winners

HerdBot
12-23-2021, 02:33 AM
I've long been jealous of that advantage of your deep runs. That time is invaluable. The only thing better than that is when you folks roll up a four score lead and can play your twos and threes (get them experience and protect your ones).

We also seem to find a role for almost every player on the roster who has talent, even if it's only a few snaps per game. Those 2 snaps a game add up over time

scottietohottie
12-23-2021, 02:47 AM
Current staff is good at recruiting. I actually think TR/ the west Fargo kid would be a better head coach then his current position. Until press conference time. I know what I've seen broz.

tony
12-23-2021, 08:37 AM
Do they award a trophy to the best developmental program? And who would it go to this year?

It's NDSU, btw.

tony
12-27-2021, 08:32 PM
I wanted to expand on this. Here's why I believe that NDSU is the best developmental program in the FCS:

1. NDSU's S&C cannot be topped
2. NDSU has recruited players who want to get better
3. NDSU doesn't go shopping for P5 drop downs
4. The number of walk-ons who excel is unmatched

I mean, I can't think of any school that does it better... if so, I'd like to know who? SDSU might be able to make a claim and that's it.

stevdock
12-27-2021, 11:46 PM
I wanted to expand on this. Here's why I believe that NDSU is the best developmental program in the FCS:

I mean, I can't think of any school that does it better... if so, I'd like to know who? SDSU might be able to make a claim and that's it.

I don't think the gap is as wide as it used to be. I think everyone else's S&C is getting closer and closer to ours and we see that when teams don't wear out like they used to. The other three I completely agree with. Kids know if they want to go play pro football, they will have the chance by coming to NDSU. Kids know if they have talent to get on the field, they will get their shot, but they have to accept their role. And NDSU doesn't have a better spokesperson for that than our current Mr. Raven.

stevdock
12-27-2021, 11:50 PM
Not taking about players but coaches. We're arguably more talented than any other team in the division year in year out now. Do you think that's holding back coaches from getting better play calling/scheming? Right now we can have a poor plan with mistakes and execute it at B+ level. And win most games. Adjustments? Eh it'll work eventually. And it usually does. Because we're better than they are

I think because of the talent level our coaches can be more stubborn with what we are good at. We can run A-gap power 35 times a game. It'll work eventually.

I do think though in the playoffs our script on offense has been better than the rest of the year. BUT I think our offense goes into insane clock milking mode even in the 2nd quarter when we are up 10 points. Against JMU I thought once we got up 10 we started to do this. Why can our offense do this? Because how many times has our defense given up points, so our offensive coaches can get away with this. Does that probably come from Entz as the strategy for the game? Probably and won't change until we get beat by this someday.

westnodak93bison
12-28-2021, 12:09 AM
My $0.02. We won a semi game with our best WR, TE, DL out and 2 backup OL plus Weerts out. Proof we are a program.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TAILG8R
12-29-2021, 10:18 PM
No idea where to post this, figured here was as good as any other thread.

When did it become popular for players to put their finger up to their mouths to hush the crowd in their home stadium? I saw the Bison do it a number of times during the playoffs.

I always assumed that was a gesture reserved for when the opposing team scores or makes a big play to take the home crowd out of it.

mtoutfitter
12-29-2021, 10:30 PM

When did it become popular for players to put their finger up to their mouths to hush the crowd in their home stadium? I saw the Bison do it a number of times during the playoffs.

I always assumed that was a gesture reserved for when the opposing team scores or makes a big play to take the home crowd out of it.

Wondered that myself, just stupid if you ask me.

gavin2126
12-29-2021, 10:39 PM

I guess I never even noticed that lol

Herd
12-30-2021, 02:04 AM
Wondered that myself, just stupid if you ask me.

I saw Cam do it. Pretty poor football acumen was my immediate thought. Common Man!

StL Bison Fan
12-30-2021, 03:02 AM
I saw Cam do it. Pretty poor football acumen was my immediate thought. Common Man!

Did he do it when he scored on the jmu side? In front of their crowd and players?

EC8CH
12-30-2021, 03:05 AM
Did he do it when he scored on the jmu side? In front of their crowd and players?

Cam did it too. So did Pierce. It must be a thing now. I don't get it.

Thought maybe Cam was shushing the h8ters, mostly Kev and myself. Other than that it makes no sense.

Kevin
12-30-2021, 03:10 AM
Cam did it too. So did Pierce. It must be a thing now. I don't get it.

Thought maybe Cam was shushing the h8ters, mostly Kev and myself. Other than that it makes no sense.

I don’t hate cam.

He’s just unlucky to share the roster with the Frankenstein combination of Wentz Easton and walker.

Also in the case of jmu it probably just means stfu gtfo

WeAreThePride
12-30-2021, 11:52 AM

Honestly SDSU does more with less than we do. They recruit absolute nobodies, and turn them into a team that can beat anybody in the subdivision.

WeAreThePride
12-30-2021, 11:55 AM

I never saw any shushing gestures, but several times I would see offensive players doing the "quiet down" gesture to the crowd to keep us quiet anytime we got above church quiet.

I liked it. Keeps us in our place, and maintains our homefield advantage.

bajadanny
12-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Honestly SDSU does more with less than we do. They recruit absolute nobodies, and turn them into a team that can beat anybody in the subdivision.

They have been fortunate with some recruiting lately the qb that got hurt in the final, his only offer was from the bunnies at fcs level y Strong they found in Arkansas lightly recruited. I am glad stigy got a extension, instead of hiring one of those younger coaches

tony
12-30-2021, 01:21 PM

Really, I think SDSU recruiting is underrated. It's not like they developed Isaiah Davis, Pierre Strong or their WRs - they were players from the day they stepped on the verdant pastures of Brookings, but Goedert sure wasn't. They've done a really good job.

The bottom line is that SDSU closed the gap with NDSU quite considerably... but, as they know, that gap, no matter how small, can become a canyon in the playoffs.

gavin2126
12-30-2021, 10:59 PM
Really, I think SDSU recruiting is underrated. It's not like they developed Isaiah Davis, Pierre Strong or their WRs - they were players from the day they stepped on the verdant pastures of Brookings, but Goedert sure wasn't. They've done a really good job.

The bottom line is that SDSU closed the gap with NDSU quite considerably... but, as they know, that gap, no matter how small, can become a canyon in the playoffs.

Yeah the Bunnies do a good job of recruiting both good talent and underrated talent. Honestly if their coaching was better that team would be really scary.