PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Promotions

Bisonguy
12-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Congrats to Coaches Bradley, Perles, and Vigen for their promotions on the Mighty Bison Football Coaching Staff:

Bison Fill Vacant Coordinator Positions Internally; Vigen Assumes Passing Game (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=99185)

NDSU_grad
12-22-2004, 09:26 PM
I echo the congratulation. By my account, we still need a DB coach and a RB coach. Any ideas on who could fill those vacancies.
Unless there kind of like an SID, and a football program doesn't need them. ;)

Bisonguy
12-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Highlights of the press conference on WDAY 6:00 sports tonight- WDAY 6:00 news (http://www.in-forum.com/av/player.cfm?file=wdaytv6&type=wday) (after 6:00, of course ;D)

I think I have the link down to go directly to the news video, if not- go to wday.com, then click on the "6:00 p.m." link under the red "News" tab.

Bisonguy
12-23-2004, 12:38 AM
The press conference coverage is at the 23:30 mark of the 6:00 news. I encourage everyone to watch it. The coverage gives some insight to the confidence Bohl has in Perles and Bradley, and you can see a side of Bohl that most will never see.

Anyhow, looks like the search for a RB coach and a DB coach is underway...

kchats
12-23-2004, 03:33 AM
Was the emotion because he felt bad for taking the head coaches position from Casey originally or have they grown that close?

Bisonguy
12-23-2004, 04:04 AM
Was the emotion because he felt bad for taking the head coaches position from Casey originally or have they grown that close?

I think he's grateful to have somebody as devoted to Bison football as Gus.

scottheck
12-23-2004, 04:13 AM
That was one of the odder press conferences I've seen. Usually that emotion comes when something bad happens to a colleague or player OR for his friends who are leaving.

I've not thought of Bohl as very emotional in those situations. I do think it reflects the dedication of Bohl and the remaining staff.

MinotBison
12-23-2004, 05:04 AM
Provided he does a good job, and I am sure he will, has Casey now positioned himself for a chance at the head coaching job should Bohl leave in a year or two?

KTF
12-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Do you really think that Bohl will leave in a year or two? I can see him sticking around for 2-3 yrs after SU is playoff elegible, that way when SU makes the playoffs it looks more impressive for the top jobs in the country!

If Bohl does leave, I would supsect it is going to be for a D-1A level school that is very prominent within the nation.

IowaBison
12-23-2004, 01:21 PM

I think Bohl feels sorry for the Big Sky offenses we're going to dismantle the next few years ;)

Woden
12-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Provided he does a good job, and I am sure he will, has Casey now positioned himself for a chance at the head coaching job should Bohl leave in a year or two?

In contrast to what others on this board think, I don't think Bohl will be here much longer. I think if he has another year like this past one next year, he is gone for sure. In that case, I believe Bradley would be given the head job, which I feel he deserves.

IowaBison
12-23-2004, 04:40 PM
where's he gonna go?

he's had tremendous success, but what would be a better gig than he's got---gotta be a DI(A) head coach, I don't see what he's done so far putting him on any lists.

Heck Solich is a head coach for a MAC team, I don't even see Bohl being considered for a job like that unless we go undefeated. Even then, how big of a step up is a Miami of Ohio or Toledo job? NDSU isn't there yet, but that's where they're aiming why would he leave for that?

KTF
12-23-2004, 05:07 PM
My point about Bohl is that he took a 2-8 D-II and turned into a top 25 rated D-1AA team within two years. A few years from now, I believe that NDSU will get its first berth in the D-1AA playoff tourney's. At which point I think that he would very marketable to a lot D-1A programs.

Ask gopher fans if they would like a guy that has a workman like attitude and knows how to produce on the field!! I bet that they would look seriously at Bohl if Mason ever left!! His background is too rich with D-1A success especially at Nebraska, he has worked behind the scenes and knows what it takes to build and maintain a highly successful program!!

With that being said, I hope that Bohl sticks with NDSU for a long time as NDSU needs a person with superior skills at the helm!!

Bisonguy
12-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Bohl did take a pretty hefty pay cut, from something like $300k to his current $110k (+?), however he has stated that he will stay at NDSU as long as he is welcome. Whether or not that was just coach PR talk is unknown. NDSU might be a pretty good fit for Bohl: decent pay, fairly close proximity to his kids, good support, etc. It depends on what makes him happy, I guess. :-/

Woden
12-23-2004, 08:41 PM
He didn't really take a pay cut because Nebraska had to finish paying out his contract, which I believe had two years left on it. So, Bohl was making the $300,000+ from Neb. as well as the $120,000 or whatever it is SU pays him. Not too shabby of a salary. I think Nebraska is done after this year, though.

Bisondad
12-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Coach Bohl's Mom told me he loves it in Fargo. I bet he stays awhile.

Bisondad

Thunder_Struck
12-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Do you think he'd ever consider a D cordinator job at a top IA program?

Would be interesting to see if he was offered a job like the Oklahoma D cordinator job.

IowaBison
12-23-2004, 09:11 PM
with all due respect, Coach Bohl was FIRED by Nebraska :-[

having success as a D2/DIAA coach for two years doesn't erase that

JBB
12-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Im not so sure that is a real factor. Look at UN since he left. They had 70 scored on them once this year. They were talking about this on the KFAN the other day. Wrong coaches were let go.

IowaBison
12-23-2004, 10:05 PM
i've said that before on here and haven't changed my mind

but any thoughts that OU might be calling up Bohl are a little far fetched imo

kchats
12-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Nebraska scapegoated Coach Bohl. The reason his defense had problems his last season at Nebraska wasn't because of his defensive scheme but because their offense was horribly predictable as well as not very talented. Nebraska was having a difficult time recruiting the best players because their schemes didn't prepare the players for the NFL. I would like to know if the defense the Bison are running is what Coach Bohl ran at Nebraska or if he had to run what Coach Solich wanted him to run. I would believe it is more likely the latter. We all know Casey Bradley was the defensive coordinator here under Babich and he ran a different scheme than what he will be running under Coach Bohl. I just don't think you can blame the problems Nebraska had on Coach Bohl. You also have to look at all the assistants NDSU is losing to division I-A. If Coach Bohl wasn't doing a great job they wouldn't be getting promotions. If they are watching Coach Bohl's assistants you have to know they are watching him. I don't think he is ready to go unless the job was a great one. NDSU is a pretty plum job as far as college football coaching goes. If one of his friends becomes an AD at a large school he will get an interview and possibly the job. Coach Bohl is doing a wonderful job. He took a program that had lost its focus under Babich and went 8-3 with Babich's players and new schemes.

insane_ponderer
12-24-2004, 05:58 AM
Nebraska scapegoated Coach Bohl. *The reason his defense had problems his last season at Nebraska wasn't because of his defensive scheme but because their offense was horribly predictable as well as not very talented. *Nebraska was having a difficult time recruiting the best players because their schemes didn't prepare the players for the NFL.

very true, nebraska hired bill callahan to install the west coast offense just because it would prepare kids better for the pros.

personally i hope bohl stays, it seems like he really enjoys it here and him, gene taylor, and his staff all seem to get along and like each other so hopefully we can all cheer bohl on for a couple more years

BisonMav
12-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Nebraska also did not have the player depth under Bohl that they had during the past. NCAA rules changed the players they could recruit, or to put it this way, the number of borderline academic players they could recruit.

Tatanka
12-25-2004, 04:15 AM
:o

You mean all of those Nebraska "graduates" weren't necessarily college material? I'm feigning shock to the point of almost being shocked.

insane_ponderer
12-25-2004, 06:13 AM
eric crouch....nuff said

Gamehunter
12-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Do you guys really think there is a good chance Bohl will be leaving in even 2 or 3 years? Is D-1A that big of a promotion?

I certainly hope he stays around for a couple years into our playoff eligibility.

Shakermaker
12-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Congrats to Coaches Bradley, Perles, and Vigen for their promotions on the Mighty Bison Football Coaching Staff:

Bison Fill Vacant Coordinator Positions Internally; Vigen Assumes Passing Game (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=99185)
;D

tony
12-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Couldn't be happier for the guys they promoted. It's just good all around - for the players, the program, and the coaching staff.

JBB
01-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Lots of applicants for open positions:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=79608&section=Sports

WYOBISONMAN
01-04-2005, 04:11 PM
That is an impressive list of candidates. I think that many want to join the staff at NDSU because they know very well that this program is going places!

JBB
01-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Concordia (Neb.) University assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator Bill McAllister, who was the quarterbacks coach at Nebraska-Omaha for three seasons is one of 4 finalists for the head Football coaching position at Min. State Moorhead, he is also one of several candidates for an assistant coaching position at North Dakota State.