PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky

uncfan
01-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Are you fans angry that the Big Sky is only cosidering UNC for admission? I was suprised you weren't included. I think NDSU and UNC are both deserving. The others weren't (SDSU, SUU). What are you hoping for next?

JACKGUYII
01-25-2005, 11:02 PM
SDSU and NDSU are a lot more deserving than UNC. The attendence and facilities at both the State U's are vastly superior to UNC. Your getting a closer look by the Big Sky for three reasons location,location,location.

dakotadan
01-25-2005, 11:46 PM
I have a feeling that the SUs will be getting a look from the Big Sky in the not too distant future. I think this is their first step in expanding *out to possibly a split 12 team league. The 2 schools also seem to have a lot of support from the Montana schools.

uncfan
01-26-2005, 12:22 AM
You've got to keep things in perspective JackguyII. We have poor attendance for several reasons in my opinion. First, Greeley is a sleepy, very pathetic town. Most of our population is hispanic. There aren't a lot of hispanics that like football. Second, we are competing for the attention of three division 1a teams. One of which is located about 35 miles north and CU is less then an hour it doesn't help that CU is a Big Twelve team either. As far as I know NDSU and ND are the only big tickets in town in North Dakato so count your blessings. UNC is not that lucky. Third reason is there are a lot of students that leave Greeley on the weekends and go back to Denver and Colorado Springs, there is a lot more to do in those cities for younger people.
Our facilities will be getting better. The athletic department is planning on making a "master plan" of all upgrades to facilities public soon. Nottingham Field is already in the process of adding seats to make the total capacity to around 8,500. Stay tuned.

Bisonguy
01-26-2005, 12:31 AM
The fact that UNC didn't wait around an extra year in DII may have helped, as well.

Having UNC in the Big Sky can't hurt NDSU or SDSU's chances of possibly being admitted to the conference down the road. Might even be a good thing. *;D

Edit: to answer the question, disappointed- yes. mad-no.

scottheck
01-26-2005, 01:27 AM
I was initially very disappointed. Not nearly so now after chatting with Pres. Chapman this past weekend. He's not worried, and, frankly, is interested in a higher level of competition than the Weber St.'s of the world.

Taylor and the coaching staff have good connections around the country. Scheduling won't be as difficult in the future as it was this year because we will no longer be in transition.

Esquire
01-26-2005, 01:42 AM
I am tired of the Big Sky talk. Who cares about the Big Sky. I am not overly impressed with the Big Sky and it would be only temporary as we are going DI-A eventually. Thus, I think NDSU should change its focus to DI-A conferences like the MAC. While we may take our lumps initially in the MAC, we would compete a lot sooner than you think. Other than a couple of these teams who have been successfully nationally, I like our chances.

East - Miami (OH), Akron, Marshall, Kent State, Ohio, Buffalo, UCF

West - Toledo, Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Ball State, Western Michigan

jackrabbit1979
01-26-2005, 01:46 AM
You've got to keep things in perspective JackguyII. We have poor attendance for several reasons in my opinion. First, Greeley is a sleepy, very pathetic town. Most of our population is hispanic. There aren't a lot of hispanics that like football. Second, we are competing for the attention of three division 1a teams. One of which is located about 35 miles north and CU is less then an hour it doesn't help that CU is a Big Twelve team either. As far as I know NDSU and ND are the only big tickets in town in North Dakato so count your blessings. UNC is not that lucky. Third reason is there are a lot of students that leave Greeley on the weekends and go back to Denver and Colorado Springs, there is a lot more to do in those cities for younger people.
Our facilities will be getting better. The athletic department is planning on making a "master plan" of all upgrades to facilities public soon. Nottingham Field is already in the process of adding seats to make the total capacity to around 8,500. Stay tuned.

So.... tell me again why they chose UNC.

We feel sorry for your situation UNC Bear but its not going to change. You can add all the seats you want to empty stadiums and they will still be empty. why do they need the larger capacity, how many fans did they average this year 5000-6000????

However, We do wish you luck in the sky, keep us in mind in two - three years when we need that one vote(even thought SDSU is undeserving???) ;D

Rodentia
01-26-2005, 02:11 AM
If NDSU were going I-A, they might be a better match with the Mountain West Conference. The MAC is a very geographically dense conference, it's likely that the MAC teams would consider NDSU too far away.

Esquire
01-26-2005, 02:24 AM
I agree with you until you get to UCF in Orlando, FL. I wonder how they got in?

uncfan
01-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Esquire, are you just dreaming about division 1a or is the administration at NDSU really considering making the move? If the administration has not mentioned moving up then why do you think you will move up? Hell Maybe you should skip the whole college level and move up to the NFL?! Just see how well you do in D-1aa first, then maybe talk about 1a.

Bisonguy
01-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Esquire, are you just dreaming about division 1a or is the administration at NDSU really considering making the move? *If the administration has not mentioned moving up then why *do you think you will move up? Hell Maybe you should skip the whole college level and move up to the NFL?! *Just see how well you do in D-1aa first, then maybe talk about 1a.

I-A has been mentioned by the president, the AD, and the head football coach, so I guess it's been mentioned by the administration. They've stated that it would be down the road, but the possibility is there.

Esquire
01-26-2005, 03:22 AM
It has never been the plan of NDSU to stay DI-AA forever . . . simply a stepping stone. Obviously, NDSU would have a difficult time at that level right now, but if NDSU can't get in a conference at the DI-AA level and could possibly get in a DI-A confernence. . . then we should move up now and take our lumps. I would much rather see us play a Miami (OH), Youngstown, or Marshall than UNC (and your 5,000 fans). Plus, we have a D-I coaching staff . . . unlike UNC's old Kay Dalton.

uncfan
01-26-2005, 04:45 AM
ok Esquire. Thanks for the disrespect man.

BisonFan
01-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Wow, so when's a DIA conference going to be knocking on NDSU's door? *Esquire and Co., I think you are dreaming a little big right now and being unrealistic. *There is no need to knock UNC or to be envious and respond, out of spite, as you you have to uncfan. *Wow, the Big Sky said they were intersted in looking further into inviting UNC to the Big Sky...So how do you respond? *You change your colors like a chameleon and now the coveted Big Sky Conference is not that great of a conference anyways and heck, you now see a IA conference as being a better fit for NDSU. *Get real and humble yourself a bit. Ignorance and arrogance don't get you anywhere in life...

NDSUstudent
01-26-2005, 05:26 AM
I could see a IA conference in the future, say 15-20 years from now. But for now NDSU needs to establish itself as a IAA power and build up a solid fan base so in 15 to 20 years from now NDSU could maybe jump into a decent IA conference and at the same time move into a 35,000 seat outdoor stadium. That is my dream for Bison football. For now I hear rumors that WKU may leave the Gateway for the MAC. I know the Gateway is football only but playing in a conference full of horizen, Mid-Con, and MVC teams would probably help to get into one of those conferences. If the Gateway lost WKU you know they would need a IAA power team and NDSU would be the school to fit that description. Playing in a established IAA conference may be just the stepping stone NDSU needs to get in the a D1 all sports conference.

Gamehunter
01-26-2005, 05:53 AM
I think the 15-20 years is a very reasonable estimate, but who is to say for sure? NDSU will want to be sucessfull in D1A if/when it moves up, and the Fargodome will be one of the limiting factors. We simply need the 35000+ seat arena to atract the big schools necessary to be competative and be profitable in D1A. Then the challenge comes of paying for it, then of course filling it. That is over twice our current fan base. That is something that will need to be heavily promoted in the fallowing years. Basically, if you live in Fargo, and your NOT at the football game, your NOT cool. That simple.

But for now, I think our minds need to be set on the Gateway :) untill the Sky can figure out what its going to do with suc state and psu. The sky is getting watered down, and if you take away the 2 montana schools and EWU you have absolutely nothing but DII par schools leftover.