PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Dome Half Full?

CaBisonFan
11-24-2021, 01:34 PM
Is the dome half full (or thereabouts) because most of the games are broadcast?

Is the fan base getting older and just satisfied to stay at home?

Obviously... the students aren't buying into the program... so something has gone terribly wrong with the campus attitude toward the program. The university needs to address this.

Somebody wrote that the culture of the program has changed. If that's true... what does that mean?

I don't have a lot of answers.

EC8CH
11-24-2021, 01:36 PM

Obviously... the students aren't buying into the program... so something has gone terribly wrong with the campus attitude toward the program. The university needs to address this.

Somebody wrote that the culture of the program has changed. If that's true... what does that mean?

student tickets were sold out agaisnt USD but their allotment is reduced greatly from 2013.

WeAreThePride
11-24-2021, 01:43 PM
People are scared of the Coof. They're worried about only having a 99.87% chance of living to see next year's Bison team.

fmfantasy
11-24-2021, 01:47 PM
some of it is Covid still. Vikings arent half full but I had to sell Cowboys and Steelers tickets for under face value when they normally would have gone for 2-3 times..

but also we have lost 1 home game in over 4 years... we went 6-0 this year and won by 177 points or 30 per game.. the Bison are for the most part not even football games its WWE or harlem globetrotters sports entertainment at this point.. its gotten to be a joke as they beat up on far inferior teams for 11 years running. and now only gets worse with 3 top schools leaving.

MankatoBison
11-24-2021, 01:59 PM
We already have a thread for this lol "Bison Fatigue"

Law of decreasing marginal utility: "The law of diminishing marginal utility states that all else equal, as consumption increases, the marginal utility derived from each additional unit declines. ... The utility is an economic term used to represent satisfaction or happiness"

There are other factors or course, but this explains why we were sold out to the rafters for our first playoff game against Wofford, but less and less each time after.

The_Sicatoka
11-24-2021, 02:07 PM
Stadiums, all sports, all levels, are seeing declining attendance.

Blame the generational change from "in person social" to "device social".

tjamz
11-24-2021, 02:31 PM

As much as it pains me to say this, there is a lot of truth to it, especially with the younger generations (millenials & gen z). I first noticed the "device social" element when I traveled to my hometown one weekend and thought "You know, I'll head uptown and see what's going on". In my day that street would have been PACKED with people from across the area "cruising main" and pulled over in parking lots shooting the shit, waiting for someone to decide where to have the party that night... then around 10:30 to 11:00 everyone would head out to whatever party spot was chosen. But even then, there would still be 5 to 10 cars wandering up and down the street until 1 or 2 in the morning. During this visit (about 2003ish) there wasn't a single car out and about. I stopped at the bar and had a beer with some of my friends and they told me "these kids don't really get together like we used to, the days of big parties just across the county line are long gone! They'd rather play games on their xbox/ps and talk to each other on chat"

The same is true, I think, for watching sports. For many, the view on TV is better than what they get in the dome (even with KVLY/WDAY production woes), they save money on travel and tickets and can host watch parties or even virtual zoom watch parties with their friends. Add in a decade of dominance and the appeal of "must go to the game" fades for many. I personally enjoy the social aspect of gameday. Seeing people who've become like family to me, shooting the shit, talking smack, etc.. is why I go. The game is almost secondary at times.

Hammerhead
11-24-2021, 02:34 PM
It's COVID for us given that rural Minnesota has been one of the hot spots for cases recently. We have our booster shots now so we did get tickets for the first playoff game. Most years we attend 2-3 regular season games and didn't attend any this year and only one game in the spring.

Jay
11-24-2021, 02:41 PM
Also depends on what time you look. It takes about 40 minutes to get into the dome from the west lot. So the start of the game will always look empty. 2nd qtr will be peak capacity. Halftime hits... students leave and others start to trickle out... especially if it's 28-7.

And yes, kid sports, watching games in HD from your garage or couch... it's pretty nice.

HerdBot
11-24-2021, 02:45 PM
We're selling 80 to 90% of the tickets but many are corporate tickets that go unused. People get season tickets and skip the mediocre games. Students leave at half time. Covid still has a small impact. Also there is really only a few good games this year

There are probably 3k in the concourse at any given moment. The metal detectors slow the entry into the dome and then people need to pee or get food and the lines suck. That's why we really need the concourse expansion with extra bathrooms. You can miss the 1st quarter if you wait too long to get on line

BISONBRI53
11-24-2021, 02:46 PM
No beer, Columns in the corners, FBS, Dome Nazis, Milk drinkers, Knitters, Loud music, Dip N Dot spoons. Should cover it I think.

blackdiamond2
11-24-2021, 03:32 PM
Take for example this last week. Our group was at the game it was 52-24 blowout - South Dakota wasn't even close in this particular game. We found our group was more interested in watching the end of the SDSU vs UND game on our phones - we have a bunch of screens at the Dome and it is not 1990 anymore...

Is there a way we watch our game live and other another game at the same time while in the dome? Might be

StL Bison Fan
11-24-2021, 03:41 PM
No beer, Columns in the corners, FBS, Dome Nazis, Milk drinkers, Knitters, Loud music, Dip N Dot spoons. Should cover it I think.

You forgot pretzels

56BISON73
11-24-2021, 03:42 PM

A lot of moving parts. Plus shit changes.

BISONBRI53
11-24-2021, 03:44 PM
a lot of moving parts. Plus shit changes.

nailed it!!!!

SDbison
11-24-2021, 03:50 PM
some of it is Covid still. Vikings arent half full but I had to sell Cowboys and Steelers tickets for under face value when they normally would have gone for 2-3 times..

but also we have lost 1 home game in over 4 years... we went 6-0 this year and won by 177 points or 30 per game.. the Bison are for the most part not even football games its WWE or harlem globetrotters sports entertainment at this point.. its gotten to be a joke as they beat up on far inferior teams for 11 years running. and now only gets worse with 3 top schools leaving. Sorry, most true fans don't wish for close games. Plenty more to watch with the next guys up getting play time. Don't get who would want close games.....that just means the Bison would lose more games! A casual fan might want that crap, but to win it all need to be really good and dominant.

SDbison
11-24-2021, 03:54 PM
Take for example this last week. Our group was at the game it was 52-24 blowout - South Dakota wasn't even close in this particular game. We found our group was more interested in watching the end of the SDSU vs UND game on our phones - we have a bunch of screens at the Dome and it is not 1990 anymore...

Is there a way we watch our game live and other another game at the same time while in the dome? Might be Another casual fan......if you want close games go watch the Vikes who often lose those games and enjoy their mediocrity.

SDbison
11-24-2021, 03:56 PM
#1 reason for lack of a packed fargodome for Bison games.........too many casual fans have season tickets.

Gully
11-24-2021, 04:02 PM
There are probably 3k in the concourse at any given moment. The metal detectors slow the entry into the dome and then people need to pee or get food and the lines suck. That's why we really need the concourse expansion with extra bathrooms. You can miss the 1st quarter if you wait too long to get on line

This...it really sucked getting in to the game this weekend. Makes me wonder if it's worth the hastle sometimes.

56BISON73
11-24-2021, 04:05 PM
We're selling 80 to 90% of the tickets but many are corporate tickets that go unused. People get season tickets and skip the mediocre games. Students leave at half time. Covid still has a small impact. Also there is really only a few good games this year

The entrance I go in usually has 4 doors open. This past weekend only 2 doors were used. Think that can cause a back up?

The_Sicatoka
11-24-2021, 04:07 PM
Sorry, most true fans don't wish for close games. Plenty more to watch with the next guys up getting play time. Don't get who would want close games.....that just means the Bison would lose more games! A casual fan might want that crap, but to win it all need to be really good and dominant.

And there's the double edged sword:

- the casual fan sees a boring blowout and wonders why they came if it's not an "exciting game!" ... but will they show up in future if the team doesn't win.
- the hard core wants to see a game to evaluate the throwing motion of the third string QB who'll start in two years

Apologies, but as a hard core hockey fan, I like to find out if that new freshman fourth line center is better at faceoffs on his forehand or backhand (he ain't out there taking faceoffs in a one- or two-goal game) while the people around me are uploading their pics at the rink to Facebook because isn't not a "good" (meaning close) game.

BigHorns
11-24-2021, 04:16 PM
Do you think we will be able to fill up Frisco this year? I bought 4 tickets as usual and always have a blast, but wondering if we might see empty seats there too this time.

1st&TennBison
11-24-2021, 04:20 PM
The entrance I go in usually has 4 doors open. This past weekend only 2 doors were used. Think that can cause a back up?

You mean the doors where they have the jail/holding cell?

GreenfieldBison
11-24-2021, 04:21 PM
Do you think we will be able to fill up Frisco this year? I bought 4 tickets as usual and always have a blast, but wondering if we might see empty seats there too this time.

You've got how many chickens?

56BISON73
11-24-2021, 04:22 PM
You mean the doors where they have the jail/holding cell?

:nod::D............

tjamz
11-24-2021, 04:37 PM

you forgot shitty pretzels

bri-dog
11-24-2021, 04:43 PM
I'm a pessimist so it's not half full. It's half empty.

ByeSonBusiness
11-24-2021, 04:44 PM
#1 reason for lack of a packed fargodome for Bison games.........too many casual fans have season tickets.

I don't think a substantial number of hardcore fans who want season tickets are unable to obtain them.

Twincitybizon
11-24-2021, 04:53 PM
The quality of television is so good now that it makes the massive hassle of dragging booger eaters around and spending 100s of Dollars not as enticing.

scottietohottie
11-24-2021, 05:04 PM

This here. Some people buy season tickets just for playoff seats. It's frustrating but a hard problem to solve. People don't even try to get rid of them just don't go.

scottietohottie
11-24-2021, 05:07 PM
The quality of television is so good now that it makes the massive hassle of dragging booger eaters around and spending 100s of Dollars not as enticing.

I don't know. My youngests enthusiasm is what got me going again. His older sister and brother never got into it like he does. It's so fun to watch him watch.

He asked me when I tucked him in Saturday night that if he was a Bison football player would I still be his dad. Made my day.

1979 Bison
11-24-2021, 05:14 PM
This here. Some people buy season tickets just for playoff seats. It's frustrating but a hard problem to solve. People don't even try to get rid of them just don't go.

ECON 101…when supply exceeds demand, the perceived value of the item drops. This year, it appears that there is just very little demand for tickets beyond the season ticket holders (who have bought their tickets already). So, for those of us with tickets and can’t use them for a particular game, it is difficult to resell them for even “close to” face value AND in some cases cannot give them away! It will be interesting to see how many season ticket holders claim their playoff seats…many may wait to go to just the semifinal if we succeed in getting there.

scottietohottie
11-24-2021, 05:24 PM
ECON 101…when supply exceeds demand, the perceived value of the item drops. This year, it appears that there is just very little demand for tickets beyond the season ticket holders (who have bought their tickets already). So, for those of us with tickets and can’t use them for a particular game, it is difficult to resell them for even “close to” face value AND in some cases cannot give them away! It will be interesting to see how many season ticket holders claim their playoff seats…many may wait to go to just the semifinal if we succeed in getting there.

Yeah I've already heard of people getting good seats for the second round. And I realize those seats empty are paid for. That's just part of the problem that can't really be fixed. When you buy endzone or corner seats and then see the empty seats in the middle is just frustrating and a bad look on TV. I don't have an answer so probably shouldn't post.

BigLakeBison
11-24-2021, 05:36 PM
We're an outlier in FCS. We are an FBS program, talent and performance wise, that is playing inferior competition for the most part. There are really only 2-3 games (at most) per year where the Bison have to play at the upper reaches of their potential to win. The rest of the games they can have an off game and still dominate for the most part. To the casual fan this seems ridiculous. They question why NDSU doesn't want to challenge themselves. They don't understand the obstacles that are in the way of NDSU moving to FBS but they don't care. What they see is a bully beating up on the little guys. Whether or not people want to hear it or acknowledge it, that is hard for people to cheer for. Many of the alums that I interact with feel this way. They just don't see the point in getting excited about something that seems inevitable.

Twincitybizon
11-24-2021, 05:41 PM
I don't know. My youngests enthusiasm is what got me going again. His older sister and brother never got into it like he does. It's so fun to watch him watch.

He asked me when I tucked him in Saturday night that if he was a Bison football player would I still be his dad. Made my day.

Mine are still too young for that (1 and 3) I'll get back to you in a couple years and reevaluate.

Mr Meaty
11-24-2021, 05:54 PM
This...it really sucked getting in to the game this weekend. Makes me wonder if it's worth the hastle sometimes.

I go in about 30-40 minutes before the game and the line is only a few people deep.

BigHorns
11-24-2021, 06:07 PM
We're an outlier in FCS. We are an FBS program, talent and performance wise, that is playing inferior competition for the most part. There are really only 2-3 games (at most) per year where the Bison have to play at the upper reaches of their potential to win. The rest of the games they can have an off game and still dominate for the most part. To the casual fan this seems ridiculous. They question why NDSU doesn't want to challenge themselves. They don't understand the obstacles that are in the way of NDSU moving to FBS but they don't care. What they see is a bully beating up on the little guys. Whether or not people want to hear it or acknowledge it, that is hard for people to cheer for. Many of the alums that I interact with feel this way. They just don't see the point in getting excited about something that seems inevitable.

How is this different from being Alabama? They have won 6 of the last 12 FBS championships, and we've won 8 of 10.

I'd like to see NDSU join the right FBS conference, just not a crap conference that ends up worse than where we are now.

BigLakeBison
11-24-2021, 06:25 PM
How is this different from being Alabama? They have won 6 of the last 12 FBS championships, and we've won 8 of 10.

I'd like to see NDSU join the right FBS conference, just not a crap conference that ends up worse than where we are now.

Is there a higher level for Alabama to move to?

Like I said, whether you want to hear it or not there are a number of alumni and potential fans who have a hard time getting behind the program because they perceive the Bison winning as inevitable. Will that change if we move to the FBS? I have no idea. I do know that it isn't likely going to change staying at the FCS level. We've shown that we can drastically outperform the competition at this level and you can't put that cat back in the bag.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-24-2021, 06:36 PM
I don't know. My youngest enthusiasm is what got me going again. His older sister and brother never got into it like he does. It's so fun to watch him watch.

This is awesome. Brings back very fond memories of when my son was young. For me this is exactly why I'm not as much of a diehard fan as I used to be. My son is all grown up, so I don't have an eight year old pushing me to go to or watch every game. Add in the fact that most of the games are boring blowouts and it all adds up to less enthusiasm on my part.

EC8CH
11-24-2021, 06:38 PM
This is awesome. Brings back very fond memories of when my son was young. For me this is exactly why I'm not as much of a diehard fan as I used to be. My son is all grown up, so I don't have an eight year old pushing me to go to or watch every game. Add in the fact that most of the games are boring blowouts and it all adds up to less enthusiasm on my part.

My kid tells me he likes basketball game because they aren't all blowouts and he doesn't feel as bad for the opposing team.

Mr Meaty
11-24-2021, 06:48 PM
My kid tells me he likes basketball game because they aren't any blowouts and he doesn't feel as bad for the opposing team.

Fixed your post for you.

1st&TennBison
11-24-2021, 07:21 PM
you forgot shitty pretzels

Oh damn, don't even get me started on the pretzels. The only decent ones are sold at the Bavarian pretzel stand, not the ones they sell at the concession stands. I like the VERY salty ones myself. I usually get 2-3 just before the game starts.

BISONBRI53
11-24-2021, 08:09 PM
My kid tells me he likes basketball game because they aren't all blowouts and he doesn't feel as bad for the opposing team.

He's not a true fan then... right SD?

Son of a Bison
11-24-2021, 08:36 PM

If my son makes the Bison football team, he is getting a paternity test.

CaBisonFan
11-24-2021, 08:40 PM
Do you think we will be able to fill up Frisco this year? I bought 4 tickets as usual and always have a blast, but wondering if we might see empty seats there too this time.I was wondering the same thing. I think there will be some empty seats... but maybe the proximity of the Sam Houston fans (provided they make it) will take care of most of that problem.

EC8CH
11-24-2021, 08:43 PM
He's not a true fan then... right SD?

Ha! I actually think it's because he's been on teams that have gotten blown out and the experience is so fresh in his mind he has some sympathy for those teams. I tell him at least NDSU isn't like the bunnies and runs up the score once they're up in the fourth and describe that's why they ground and pound it until the clock runs out.

CaBisonFan
11-24-2021, 08:47 PM
There are several college programs that aren't having attendance problems. Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State... just to name a few. The Minnesota situation is a bit of a mystery. Their students have bought in to a mediocre program. Nebraska is in a similar situation. How do they do it?

BiZon22
11-24-2021, 09:20 PM
There are several college programs that aren't having attendance problems. Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State... just to name a few. The Minnesota situation is a bit of a mystery. Their students have bought in to a mediocre program. Nebraska is in a similar situation. How do they do it?

Playing Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, etc is a lot more interesting than Western Illinois, Valparaiso, Southern Illinois, Indiana State, etc

CaBisonFan
11-24-2021, 09:28 PM
Playing Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, etc is a lot more interesting than Western Illinois, Valparaiso, Southern Illinois, Indiana State, etcAgreed... how about Mountain West teams? Would Wyoming, Air Force, San Diego State and other MW teams be more interesting than the MVFC?

BiZon22
11-24-2021, 09:32 PM
Agreed... how about Mountain West teams? Would Wyoming, Air Force, San Diego State and other MW teams be more interesting than the MVFC?

I think so, especially if SDSU is having a good year or Wyoming having a good year and the history with Bohl

BISONBRI53
11-24-2021, 09:34 PM
I think so, especially if SDSU is having a good year or Wyoming having a good year and the history with Bohl

Bohl will gone soon. Then there is what history? I think having new blood will be cool for a few years. Then it will turn like it has now.

BigLakeBison
11-24-2021, 09:37 PM
Agreed... how about Mountain West teams? Would Wyoming, Air Force, San Diego State and other MW teams be more interesting than the MVFC?

I think that there are more opportunities for interesting opponents at the FBS level. Now not being consistently competitive would likely cancel out any increased excitement generated by a better schedule. That’s the biggest risk of going FBS…becoming a mediocre football team relative to the competition. However, being the most dominant FCS program in history is proving to not produce consistent high levels of fan enthusiasm.

BiZon22
11-24-2021, 09:40 PM
Bohl will gone soon. Then there is what history? I think having new blood will be cool for a few years. Then it will turn like it has now.

So you think if two Top25 mountain west teams were playing each other it wouldn’t be exciting?

BigLakeBison
11-24-2021, 09:40 PM

So stay in FCS unless the Big 12 or B1G offer an invite?

oldmantutters
11-25-2021, 05:00 AM
So you think if two Top25 mountain west teams were playing each other it wouldn’t be exciting?I seem to remember a Kaepernick-led Nevada Wolfpack team upsetting a 3rd ranked Boise State team and that game being exciting. Exciting enough to remember 11 years later.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

CaBisonFan
11-25-2021, 08:35 AM
I look at the situation with Cincinnati right now. They're from the AAC Conference. They'll be leaving for the Big 12... but the road to where they are now has been pretty exciting. They've made some bold moves.

reformedUNDfan
11-25-2021, 08:51 AM

blame the high prices and low wages.

reformedUNDfan
11-25-2021, 09:06 AM
I seem to remember a Kaepernick-led Nevada Wolfpack team upsetting a 3rd ranked Boise State team and that game being exciting. Exciting enough to remember 11 years later.

I remember that game vividly, I think I even rewatched it on Youtube a while back. That should have been undefeated Nevada vs undefeated Boise State, but Nevada has travel issues on a trip to a really good Hawaii team and if I recall were stuck on the plane for about a day and more or less went directly to the game from the airport.

BigHorns
11-25-2021, 09:55 AM
I look at the situation with Cincinnati right now. They're from the AAC Conference. They'll be leaving for the Big 12... but the road to where they are now has been pretty exciting. They've made some bold moves.

Fargo metro area is about 250k, Cincinnati metro is 2.2 million. They've also been FBS for over 40 years, and average close to 40k attendance. P5 conferences now care about media markets a lot.

The better goal/comparison is Boise St. But we definitely should be aiming for MWC if we want a shot at the B12 someday. It won't happen from the MAC, etc.

NDSU92
11-25-2021, 12:47 PM
Want to get my $.02 in before FBS/FCS talk derails this thread.

I’ve been saying this since about 2017, but the gameday experience has gotten stale. If you’re not a hardcore fan, I can absolutely see why you’re not going to every game. They play the same music, have the same food options, and there is absolutely nothing to do between pauses in action besides wonder why we’re beating the other team’s ass so badly.

We need to hire some gameday experience consultants or something. Leaning on tailgating the last 10 years is starting to not work. Yell leaders were super cool in 2011 when they added them, but they aren’t new and exciting anymore. Having more strict security than the Cowboys and having people wait in line 30 minutes to pat down 50 year old women isn’t a positive update to the gameday experience.

Sell beer, let kids go on the field at halftime, plant super fans throughout the crowd, get the ability to show video highlights of other games on ESPN+, do ANYTHING to change it up. Don’t forget your job is to entertain people so that they’ll come back. When it comes to fan retention, it’s more than just winning games.

GreenfieldBison
11-25-2021, 12:51 PM

I’ve been saying this since about 2017, but the gameday experience has gotten stale. If you’re not a hardcore fan, I can absolutely see why you’re not going to every game. They play the same music, have the same food options, and there is absolutely nothing to do between pauses in action besides wonder why we’re beating the other team’s ass so badly.

We need to hire some gameday experience consultants or something. Leaning on tailgating the last 10 years is starting to not work. Yell leaders were super cool in 2011 when they added them, but they aren’t new and exciting anymore. Having more strict security than the Cowboys and having people wait in line 30 minutes to pat down 50 year old women isn’t a positive update to the gameday experience.

Sell beer, let kids go on the field at halftime, plant super fans throughout the crowd, get the ability to show video highlights of other games on ESPN+, do ANYTHING to change it up. Don’t forget your job is to entertain people so that they’ll come back. When it comes to fan retention, it’s more than just winning games.

Are you able to report for work before year's end?

Professor Chaos
11-25-2021, 12:52 PM
Nick Saban's thoughts on a similar topic: https://twitter.com/_AlexByington/status/1463691609296584706

So to answer the question of the thread, beyond it being a trend nationally, it's basically because we've been spoiled rotten.

GreenfieldBison
11-25-2021, 12:58 PM
Nick Saban's thoughts on a similar topic: https://twitter.com/_AlexByington/status/1463691609296584706

So to answer the question of the thread it's basically because we've been spoiled rotten.

Huh. Was that some form of "coach speak?"

NDSU92
11-25-2021, 01:02 PM

So to answer the question of the thread, beyond it being a trend nationally, it's basically because we've been spoiled rotten.

Imagine having the balls to call other people self-absorbed because they won’t spend their money to watch something you’re doing. Incredible

NDSU92
11-25-2021, 01:06 PM
Are you able to report for work before year's end?

Shit I’d do it for free. It’s sad seeing the dome not rocking and full like it was when I was in school 5-10 years ago

runtheoption
11-25-2021, 01:16 PM

I don't think anyone has criticized our players and coaches for out working everyone else and being better than the rest of the FCS. People definitely appreciate what they have done.

The criticism is with the 90% of what is left of FCS not being all in. Do those other programs think they are "all in." Yes, they probably do, but their idea of commitment is not the same as NDSU's program.

Regarding the game day atmosphere, I agree with NDSU92. I don't know what the fix is, but something needs to be done to get the students more involved and having more fun. A lot of people in the crowd feed off of the student energy.

Gully
11-25-2021, 01:27 PM
I go in about 30-40 minutes before the game and the line is only a few people deep.

That's about when I tried to go in.....lines were already deep on the West side and the East side.

Gully
11-25-2021, 01:28 PM
I wonder how much crime in the Fargodome has dropped now that they've put in place such "security" measure.

GreenfieldBison
11-25-2021, 01:32 PM
Shit I’d do it for free. It’s sad seeing the dome not rocking and full like it was when I was in school 5-10 years ago

Here's an idea to get the students more engaged: Tic Tac video competition. During game action breaks and again at halftime student submitted (and obviously closely vetted) videos are played on the big video boards. Everyone with an NDSU app submits upvotes or downvotes for each video as they wish. Sometime during Q4 the video with the most upvotes is chosen as the winner of something a student would highly value, like uh, cash.

scottietohottie
11-25-2021, 01:32 PM
I wonder how much crime in the Fargodome has dropped now that they've put in place such "security" measure.

The old ladies aren't even afraid to tell you to sit down anymore.

NDSU92
11-25-2021, 02:21 PM
Here's an idea to get the students more engaged: Tic Tac video competition. During game action breaks and again at halftime student submitted (and obviously closely vetted) videos are played on the big video boards. Everyone with an NDSU app submits upvotes or downvotes for each video as they wish. Sometime during Q4 the video with the most upvotes is chosen as the winner of something a student would highly value, like uh, cash.

Either that or do a live Squid Games competition for the 50/50 raffle money. Although after a couple seasons all the death may catch up in the attendance numbers.

TAILG8R
11-25-2021, 02:28 PM
It's been mentioned a couple times now about somehow showing other games on the screens.

I think it would be a great addition to the GameDay environment to have highlights of other FCS games pop up from time to time on the corner screens or at the right times on the big screens.

It would take a dedicated person or two trying to pay attention to a handful of games that bison fans care about(maybe just conference teams), being able to grab a clip from whatever stream they have or maybe monitor other teams Twitter if they post big plays, and then get them to whoever is producing the video boards.

I don't think it's a simple task but I would think if you out a few heads together they could figure out how to make it work well consistently.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

No_Skill
11-25-2021, 02:46 PM
I'd love that, but there may be some legal issues with "rebroadcasting" in the dome.

Not 100% sure.

bisoningrandforks
11-25-2021, 03:27 PM
starting next year it will be mvfc vs big sky for the title.......watered down fcs....time to move on!

scottietohottie
11-25-2021, 03:34 PM
starting next year it will be mvfc vs big sky for the title.......watered down fcs....time to move on!

Valley might even get 6 teams in the playoffs next year.

TAILG8R
11-25-2021, 04:17 PM
I'd love that, but there may be some legal issues with "rebroadcasting" in the dome.

Not 100% sure.Yep for sure there are more than just technical obstacles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

EC8CH
11-25-2021, 07:33 PM
http://youtu.be/1itk2I-mtY8

This guy is my spirit animal.

bisonaudit
11-25-2021, 09:27 PM
We already have a thread for this lol "Bison Fatigue"

Law of decreasing marginal utility: "The law of diminishing marginal utility states that all else equal, as consumption increases, the marginal utility derived from each additional unit declines. ... The utility is an economic term used to represent satisfaction or happiness"

There are other factors or course, but this explains why we were sold out to the rafters for our first playoff game against Wofford, but less and less each time after.

This seems more like the hedonistic treadmill than diminishing marginal utility.

Bison 4 Life
11-26-2021, 03:04 AM
Just reported on the news tonight that there are still tickets available for the "The Game" in Michigan Saturday.

Guess it's Wolverine fatigue.

BattleBorn
11-26-2021, 05:20 AM
I wonder how much the inability to get tickets for a few years affects attendance today. My dad always just walked up to the ticket window when I was a kid and we got in without problems. There’s a few years of kids who didn’t get that experience. Maybe no impact whatsoever, but I am curious. I can’t even give my unused tickets to family anymore. Thankfully I was reminded of Fanettes donations toward the end of this year.

1st&TennBison
11-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Saw this on ESPN the other day about Alabama. Nick Saben talked about this on his weekly radio/tv show. Makes you wonder that if this is a problem at Alabama, it for sure can happen anywhere else. I have no knowledge of any Bison players falling into this category, I am mostly wondering about the fans and the general perception of the team from outside sources.
https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/nick-saban-calls-out-players-fans-for-entitlement-mindset-blackwell

StL Bison Fan
11-26-2021, 06:02 PM
I am thankful that our concern is sellouts.
Look at the SDSU ticket site for tomorrow’s game.
I don’t like the bunnies but what an insult to their team. Very few grey dots. Blue everywhere, even on the 50.

Bison 4 Life
11-26-2021, 09:35 PM
I am thankful that our concern is sellouts.
Look at the SDSU ticket site for tomorrow’s game.
I don’t like the bunnies but what an insult to their team. Very few grey dots. Blue everywhere, even on the 50.

They were the ones who built the outdoor stadium in that climate.

ByeSonBusiness
11-26-2021, 09:55 PM

Yes. Ten char.

GreenfieldBison
11-26-2021, 10:10 PM

Goldy and Bucky will be playing outdoors tomorrow at roughly the same latitude.

Edit: no, take that back. Brookings is slightly more southerly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56BISON73
11-26-2021, 10:25 PM
Anyone check out the attendance at the TX game today?????? WOOF

StL Bison Fan
11-26-2021, 11:06 PM

We managed at Youngstown. Cold yes. But we were there. Neither rain nor snow…

Hammerhead
11-26-2021, 11:44 PM

USD is mostly sold out although there are some tickets in the first ten rows near midfield.

BigHorns
11-27-2021, 12:04 AM
USD is mostly sold out although there are some tickets in the first ten rows near midfield.

Well, it is a dome. Has anyone ever seriously evaluated if the fargodome could be expanded without a full rebuild?

Honeybooboo
11-27-2021, 12:42 AM
Has anyone ever seriously evaluated if the fargodome could be expanded without a full rebuild?

Yes........

BigHorns
11-27-2021, 12:46 AM
Yes........

is it possible for us to go much bigger there if we were FBS someday?
I don't mean a few hundred or couple thousand seats, but take it to like 25-30k seats.

1998braves64
11-27-2021, 01:04 AM
is it possible for us to go much bigger there if we were FBS someday?
I don't mean a few hundred or couple thousand seats, but take it to like 25-30k seats.Probably looking at $300 million to do that. Might as well build a new dome stadium will never get the ROI on that expenditure.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Hammerhead
11-27-2021, 01:29 AM

Texas was on their longest losing streak since the 1950s so it's not surprising fan interest was down. Plus, it must get annoying watching your team take the field through a vagina.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJWd19yXsAAwqkH?format=jpg

And it's not even centered.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-cY8StXMAEZ-2q?format=jpg&name=large

Bison 4 Life
11-27-2021, 12:30 PM
We managed at Youngstown. Cold yes. But we were there. Neither rain nor snow…

Wow, I just looked at the forecast. 45 degrees and some wind. No excuses there.

BigHorns
11-27-2021, 01:13 PM

Their brand must still draw a huge number of television eyeballs to be able to move to the SEC and trigger the whole FBS realignment wave. The money they make and spend is obscene. According to USAToday, they are number 3 at $200 million a year before the new SEC deal.

Guess it shows money doesn't always equal success, at least in terms of wins and fans in seats.

scottietohottie
11-27-2021, 02:07 PM
Because the gold star marching band isn't in their seats.

roadwarrior
11-27-2021, 02:19 PM

USD has not hosted a football playoff game since 1986. No fatigue in Vermillion.

ByeSonBusiness
11-27-2021, 03:14 PM
USD has not hosted a football playoff game since 1986. No fatigue in Vermillion.

The pitch?

roadwarrior
11-27-2021, 04:18 PM
The pitch?

No, that was 1985. We beat USD in the championship game in 1986.

Gully
11-27-2021, 04:19 PM

Oh, like you were there or something. Err, wait.....nevermind :)

56BISON73
11-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Texas was on their longest losing streak since the 1950s so it's not surprising fan interest was down. Plus, it must get annoying watching your team take the field through a vagina.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJWd19yXsAAwqkH?format=jpg

And it's not even centered.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-cY8StXMAEZ-2q?format=jpg&name=large

Point is---if it can happen to TX it can happen to anyone. Not too long ago Michigan was having the same problems.

oldmantutters
11-27-2021, 05:00 PM
Point is---if it can happen to TX it can happen to anyone. Not too long ago Michigan was having the same problems.

Not having any problems today. The 'Big House' is full and loud. Add in the snow and it is looking like a really beautiful thing.

NDSU92
11-27-2021, 05:03 PM

Their issues are due to losing though. If we lost at home to Kansas my last concern would be how many people were watchinf

BisonHorns
11-27-2021, 08:32 PM
At the USD game a four year old in front of us had a football helmet. Held up the security line while the metal detector people made the boy wait to get permission from higher ups to see he could bring in his helmet. I know this seems too dumb to be true but it happened.

56BISON73
11-27-2021, 08:59 PM
Their issues are due to losing though. If we lost at home to Kansas my last concern would be how many people were watchinf

Michigans was also due to a new AD who changed seats-ticketing and a host of other shit. Alumni were not happy.

bisonaudit
11-27-2021, 09:12 PM
Michigans was also due to a new AD who changed seats-ticketing and a host of other shit. Alumni were not happy.

Seems like Michigan is going to be fine. Looks like Texas will continue to disappoint. I think the problems in Texas go very deep and originate in the same place that the money papering some of them over does.

ByeSonBusiness
11-28-2021, 02:15 AM

Both long before my time lol

StL Bison Fan
11-28-2021, 02:53 AM
Bunny attendance was 3,681

NDSU92
11-28-2021, 03:09 AM
Bunny attendance was 3,681

Highest attendance was 5k at Missouri State

EC8CH
11-28-2021, 03:21 AM
Highest attendance was 5k at Missouri State

Wow. I mean. Wow.

oldmantutters
11-28-2021, 03:55 AM
Highest attendance was 5k at Missouri StateSo fucking pathetic. PxP guy in the SIU vs USD game kept calling both teams the Salukis.

EC8CH
11-28-2021, 04:00 AM
So fucking pathetic. PxP guy in the SIU vs USD game kept calling both teams the Salukis.

I heard that too. Just shook my head. Not a lot of research by the tv crew on that one but what do expect.

oldmantutters
11-28-2021, 04:06 AM
I heard that too. Just shook my head. Not a lot of research by the tv crew on that one but what do expect.It sounded like they are the crew that will be in Fargo next weekend too.

bisonaudit
11-28-2021, 04:08 AM
It sounded like they are the crew that will be in Fargo next weekend too.

Gross. Local radio for the win.

EC8CH
11-28-2021, 04:24 AM
It sounded like they are the crew that will be in Fargo next weekend too.

Bwahahahahahahah. Of coarse.

SDbison
11-28-2021, 04:56 AM
Bwahahahahahahah. Of coarse. To the announcers this Sat and next will be like getting the Siberia assignment.

Bison 4 Life
11-28-2021, 01:45 PM
So fucking pathetic. PxP guy in the SIU vs USD game kept calling both teams the Salukis.

In the first half it seemed they couldn't stop calling everyone "yotes"

oldmantutters
11-28-2021, 02:55 PM
In the first half it seemed they couldn't stop calling everyone "yotes"That actually sounds right. I couldn't remember which way it was, just that the PxP guy was calling one team the wrong name. Add lack of quantity/quality of PxP guys to the list of reasons to not expand the playoff field.

westnodak93bison
11-29-2021, 02:18 PM
Anyone check out the attendance at the TX game today?????? WOOFYes, pathetic

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2021, 02:25 PM
That actually sounds right. I couldn't remember which way it was, just that the PxP guy was calling one team the wrong name. Add lack of quantity/quality of PxP guys to the list of reasons to not expand the playoff field.

Or hire that Western Illinois kid. He fucks.

BISONBRI53
11-29-2021, 02:30 PM

Spot on!!!!

bajadanny
11-29-2021, 11:12 PM
Spot on!!!!

Sure was a lot of stadium’s full of great fans this weekend, I can’t think of a game I watched that wasn’t full (didn’t watch all games).

Just fun to see fans excited and going crazy throughout the entire game, NDSU has a lot on the line Saturday I hope it can resemble some of the excitement that was obvious this past weekend.

GO BIZUN

El_Chapo
11-29-2021, 11:28 PM
when do the season ticket holders seats go back to public? i'm very afraid.

Thomas96
11-30-2021, 02:56 PM
when do the season ticket holders seats go back to public? i'm very afraid.

Hold on here, how in the world do you not have this knowledge-are you not a season ticket holder, Team Maker or donor of any type?

We have until 5pm today to request our seats, which I did, all 12, section 1.

NDSUBowler
11-30-2021, 04:35 PM
I did not request my seats for this game as I am in need of 3 instead of my normal 2. Called the ticket office and they told me that I should have no problem getting much better seats as a group of 3 come Wednesday.

El_Chapo
11-30-2021, 04:52 PM
Hold on here, how in the world do you not have this knowledge-are you not a season ticket holder, Team Maker or donor of any type?

We have until 5pm today to request our seats, which I did, all 12, section 1.

because i renewed and dont give a F about the deadline, so i asked her.

Thomas96
11-30-2021, 05:43 PM

And what did she say?

Hammerhead
11-30-2021, 06:05 PM

So you decided to waste someone's time answering the phone instead of just searching your email?

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2021, 06:12 PM
So you decided to waste someone's time answering the phone instead of just searching your email?

Give him a break. He's dealing with the personal news that he's going to have to stop shit talking Mike McFeeley because they're coworkers now.

Thomas96
11-30-2021, 06:20 PM
Give him a break. He's dealing with the personal news that he's going to have to stop shit talking Mike McFeeley because they're coworkers now.

Oh the day just keeps getting better...

MankatoBison
11-30-2021, 08:41 PM

These can all be summed up as:

THE LAW OF DECREASING MARGINAL UTILITY

Completely agree.

bisonaudit
11-30-2021, 09:00 PM
These can all be summed up as:

THE LAW OF DECREASING MARGINAL UTILITY

Completely agree.

Still seems more like the Hedonistic treadmill than decreasing marginal utility.

Twincitybizon
11-30-2021, 09:29 PM
Sill seems more like the Hedonistic treadmill than decreasing marginal utility.

I agree with this guy

JCEE1990
12-01-2021, 03:55 AM
Sorry, most true fans don't wish for close games. Plenty more to watch with the next guys up getting play time. Don't get who would want close games.....that just means the Bison would lose more games! A casual fan might want that crap, but to win it all need to be really good and dominant.

Absolutely! I’ve never understood the desire for a close game. The desire should be to stomp! To show them the best. I do like a close game, but I desire a stomping.

SDbison
12-01-2021, 04:21 AM
Absolutely! I’ve never understood the desire for a close game. The desire should be to stomp! To show them the best. I do like a close game, but I desire a stomping. Only fix to your post is to instead say, I do like a close game...when the Bison win. Actually we have not lost many close games......in rare cases just don't show up against a team we should stomp and lose by 10 or more points.

El_Chapo
12-01-2021, 04:29 AM
well I've upgraded to row 1 for the 4th time this year....haha. wow pretty sure we are at 12,500 sold right now.
hopefully we get to 15,000 by gametime.
only $30 tickets public!!

BattleBorn
12-01-2021, 01:15 PM
well I've upgraded to row 1 for the 4th time this year....haha. wow pretty sure we are at 12,500 sold right now.
only $30 tickets public!!

Yeah I shouldn't have renewed my season seats in Row CC. Heck, I may just buy a solo and go by myself. Anyone want to tailgate with me? Sad I know, but wife is out of town, kids busy with activities, and cousins... just not really interested anymore.

NDSUBowler
12-01-2021, 01:38 PM
I did not request my seats for this game as I am in need of 3 instead of my normal 2. Called the ticket office and they told me that I should have no problem getting much better seats as a group of 3 come Wednesday.
I go from DD in corner to 50 yard line row S

While I love sold out crowds, I also do appreciate the chance to get better seats every year come playoffs.

ByeSonBusiness
12-01-2021, 01:51 PM
Absolutely! I’ve never understood the desire for a close game. The desire should be to stomp! To show them the best. I do like a close game, but I desire a stomping.

Asskickings are fun in small samples... but they aren't fun long term. Its much harder to justify forking out money and spending a day at the dome to watch NDSU jailfuck yet another team.

MankatoBison
12-01-2021, 01:58 PM
Still seems more like the Hedonistic treadmill than decreasing marginal utility.

I think both are true. Its not one or the other

They both indicate that the same thing over and over again, becomes less satisfying over time.

Marginal utility says the same thing becomes less exciting over time

The hedonistic treadmill says that achieving something new doesnt always result in being happy, and that you will revert back to the average happiness overtime.

They both describe why the dome is half full. I think the law of decreasing marginal utility is more accurate in our situation of being the most dominant program in the history of college football

MankatoBison
12-01-2021, 02:03 PM

People are not understanding the argument.

People dont want "close games" because we get worse. Its not fun to watch a bad team have a close game against another bad team. What they are really saying is that "we want interesting games against competitive opponents"

If the only goal was to curb stomp teams, and not have competitive or interesting games, we should move down to D2 or D3 because #naTiOnAlChAmPiOnShIpS and #bLoWOuTs.

and to the euphoric glee of the FCS4ever movement, D2 has come to us. now we can have all the blowouts and championships we could ever dream of. Not because we got better, but because everyone good has left, and everyone remaining got worse. super duper exciting

GreenfieldBison
12-01-2021, 02:18 PM
People are not understanding the argument.

People dont want "close games" because we get worse. Its not fun to watch a bad team have a close game against another bad team. What they are really saying is that "we want interesting games against competitive opponents"

If the only goal was to curb stomp teams, and not have competitive or interesting games, we should move down to D2 or D3 because #naTiOnAlChAmPiOnShIpS and #bLoWOuTs.

and to the euphoric glee of the FCS4ever movement, D2 has come to us. now we can have all the blowouts and championships we could ever dream of. Not because we got better, but because everyone good has left, and everyone remaining got worse. super duper exciting

And yet, at least for now, we have some of the highest caliber athletes in the history of the program.

Curious.

MankatoBison
12-01-2021, 02:29 PM
And yet, at least for now, we have some of the highest caliber athletes in the history of the program.

Curious.

Agreed! I think we are getting better and better recruits on the average

Nothing in your comment negates anything in my comment. They are both true

GreenfieldBison
12-01-2021, 02:53 PM
Agreed! I think we are getting better and better recruits on the average

Nothing in your comment negates anything in my comment. They are both true

Yeah, I wasn't making an argument but rather an observation. Thus my conclusion.

westnodak93bison
12-01-2021, 03:00 PM
only $30 tickets public!!I left 4 of mine empty...got kids sports going on. Volleyball on Saturday and traveling basketball tournament.

scottietohottie
12-01-2021, 03:07 PM
I left 4 of mine empty...got kids sports going on. Volleyball on Saturday and traveling basketball tournament.

How could danger not be in the excuse list? To dangerous.

StL Bison Fan
12-01-2021, 04:26 PM
Yeah I shouldn't have renewed my season seats in Row CC. Heck, I may just buy a solo and go by myself. Anyone want to tailgate with me? Sad I know, but wife is out of town, kids busy with activities, and cousins... just not really interested anymore.

Just come down and eat with us