PDA

View Full Version : Discussions About Recruiting

tony
01-25-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm checking with NDSU's compliance officer (Lynn Dorn) to see what the guidelines are for posting information about recruiting. She thought I was talking about a chat room so I'm asking for some more guidance. Of course, talking to a recruit in a chat room would be like talking to a recruit in person - can't do it.

She said, "The best advice is to avoid all discussion concerning the recruitment of S-A's etc." That's what I'm getting clarification on. That seems a little extreme, but I can see why she'd want us to err on the side of caution.

However, all we are doing is relaying reports of verbal commitments that have been reported elsewhere, just like every other bulletin board for every other school.

Anyway, the guideline I've always followed is that if a disinterested third party reports it (say a newspaper or the TV sports), then it's OK to relay the information.

When I hear more from NDSU, I'll let you know. In the meantime, does anybody else have any thoughts on this issue?

Bisonguy
01-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Better to err on the side of caution, although Lynn's stance might be more influenced by the fact that they cannot talk about prospective student-athletes at all.

If it's news coming from the media it's one thing, if somebody is posting info that they got from talking to Coach Bohl or something like that, it's a completely different story (although, I highly doubt that Bohl would leak any info).

Also, saying anything to a potential student-athlete is a big NO-NO!

The whole internet "anonymity" thing makes this issue even more difficult to comply with.

Can a prospective be talked to after a LOI is signed?

scottheck
01-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Had a discussion with Lynn this weekend about this very topic, contact with athletes, not necessarily internet contact.

The test of the rule is: don't do anything for the athlete that you wouldn't do for any other student. However, when I questioned further, since I help Admissions with recruiting, that test even fails.

You can talk to a student about academics, campus, etc. You as soon as athletics is mentioned, you have to defer to the institution and pass them off to a coach. And, it's not acceptable to approach the student after an athletic contest to talk about the campus, academics, etc. If you know athletics is a possibility, you cannot approach.

The interesting thing is these rules are written by AD's and presidents for themselves. If an AD finds a situation where he feels he is at a disadvantage to another, he can submit a rule to even out the inequity.

bisondad
01-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Scottheck and Bisonguy; My question is this. When are you considered someone representing the university or just a fan that thinks it's a great place. I tell people all the time that I think NDSU is a great place for a student to go to school, for academics and athletics. I am not connected or involved with NDSU in any way other than my son is a student there. I do work at a high school as a strength coach. What is your take on this??

Bisondad

tony
01-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Here is a good explanation of the guidelines from the Virginia Tech website:

Here's the link (http://www.hokiesports.com/boosters/guidelines.html)

"If you find yourself in a conversation with a prospect or his/her relative(s) and the topic turns to the Tech athletics program, politely explain that NCAA regulations don't permit you to discuss this with them, and direct their questions to the Tech coach in that sport or another staff member."

It's hard not to talk about NDSU but you can't talk but if a conversation with a HS student-athlete or their family, you can't discuss NDSU athletics with them at all - even after they sign a LOI - they're still a prospect

Other links:

VT FAQ (http://www.techsideline.com/recruiting/football/compliance/questions.html)

Alabama guidelines (http://www.rolltide.com/Compliance/7170.asp)

Now, bisondad has a weird situation. He works in a HS so he's going to have a lot of contacts with kids the NCAA views as prospective student athletes. The NCAA would consider him a booster if he's ever given money to NDSU or had season tickets. If so, that means he can't discuss Bison athletics with any student he meets there.

bisondad
01-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks Tony;

So as long as I haven't given money and do not have season tickets, I'm ok? What constitues me giving money. A financial gift to NDSU, or would something as simple as tuition count? Thanks for your insight on this

Bisondad

IowaBison
01-26-2005, 07:09 PM
ya know, teammakers or the University should really inform people of this

a few years ago, while I was still a student, and not a booster, I spoke with the father of a highly regarded basketball prospect about NDSU and their program

if I would have been a teammaker at the time, I might have been on the edge of breaking the rules.

Bisonguy
01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
There's been some info on the Bison Insider (the Team Maker newsletter) in previous editions.

Quite honestly, I've usually just skimmed them over and said, "Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah". I see now that I probably should have taken the time to actually read it and try to understand. :-[

tony
01-27-2005, 02:25 AM
I think the general rule of thumb is that nobody but coaches should get involved in recruiting.

scottheck
01-28-2005, 01:30 AM
I think the general rule of thumb is that nobody but coaches should get involved in recruiting.

That was the final answer with Lynn. If in a discussion with a prospective student and the discussion turns to athletics, immediately defer to the coaches and the institution and politely excuse yourself.

Bisondad, you are in a unique situation. Next time you're up at NDSU, look up Lynn Dorn and have a rules discussion with her. Or, call her, she'll take your call.