PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Game 8 Preview: Indiana State

tony
10-23-2021, 11:46 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6190/6127224094_242ac227aa.jpg

Gully
10-23-2021, 11:47 PM
Rest Dom and let him heal up. Start Cam and play Williams more at RB. Run the clock out and listen to In Heaven there is no Beer early in the 4th quarter.

bison22
10-24-2021, 12:26 AM
Hopefully can get Gonella and Luepke some rest. Get some good game reps for Miller moving forward.

Bisonwinagn
10-24-2021, 12:33 AM
Rest all the players who are partially injured and get ready for the Jacks.

roadwarrior
10-24-2021, 06:38 PM
The last time Indiana State played in the Fargodome was Nov 2016.

We played in Terre Haute in 2017. They were off our schedule for 2018 and 2019. They pulled out of the spring games.

Bison 4 Life
10-24-2021, 07:39 PM
What is our all time record in the Trees Bowl?

tony
10-24-2021, 07:49 PM
What is our all time record in the Trees Bowl?

27-3 with a cancellation for 9/11.

Trees Bowl History - NDSU (gobison.com) (https://gobison.com/sports/2017/2/9/trees-bowl-history.aspx?id=5174)

Bison 4 Life
10-24-2021, 07:57 PM
Looks like they're hinting at all green on Saturday.

The Harvest helmets have been missed.

El_Chapo
10-24-2021, 08:17 PM
Code Green for Trees Bowl.
What's next Kolpack dresses up as the Keebler elf tree in the press box with Mcfooly as Emerald Ash Bore ?

tony
10-25-2021, 03:06 PM
Their offensive line is huge... their two OTs are both 6-7 (315/340), OG 6-4 375 and 6-3 335 and their C is a squat 320. They don't allow many sacks.

DE Inoke Moala has 8 sacks on the season and they play a 3-4 so we're doomed on offense too. :)

Honestly, I don't see why they've been so mediocre this year. I'm guessing it's because their offense is so sporadic - they even take pretty good care of the ball.

Their last game notes: INS Wk8 Youngstown State (PDF) - Indiana State University Athletics (gosycamores.com) (https://gosycamores.com/documents/2021/10/20//INS_Wk8_YoungstownState.pdf?id=6901)

tolnabison
10-25-2021, 03:37 PM
A couple big reasons I feel Cam has to be the starter going forward. The past few games we have struggled with the blitz. Mainly 3-4 blitzing teams (UND, Illinois St). A consistent short passing game will help prevent teams from just selling out. Screen passes, quick reads, etc. Also, I feel like Cam knows the playbook better. He will be able to make checks into plays that put us in a better situation against things like the blitz. I also think this will help with run checks and possibly help get our running game going.

Kevin
10-25-2021, 04:05 PM
Might be the only remaining game where I bet ndsu no matter the spread.

Professor Chaos
10-25-2021, 04:11 PM
Their offensive line is huge... their two OTs are both 6-7 (315/340), OG 6-4 375 and 6-3 335 and their C is a squat 320. They don't allow many sacks.

DE Inoke Moala has 8 sacks on the season and they play a 3-4 so we're doomed on offense too. :)

Honestly, I don't see why they've been so mediocre this year. I'm guessing it's because their offense is so sporadic - they even take pretty good care of the ball.

Their last game notes: INS Wk8 Youngstown State (PDF) - Indiana State University Athletics (gosycamores.com) (https://gosycamores.com/documents/2021/10/20//INS_Wk8_YoungstownState.pdf?id=6901)
Yeah, their offense is not good. In the FCS they're ranked 94th in passing offense, 96th in rushing offense, 106th in total offense, and 104th in scoring offense. So I'm gonna guess they don't match up well with the Bison defense. :)

Their defense is ok but they're 104th in TOP so their defense has had to be on the field a lot. Whoever the Bison QB is will have opportunities through the air. Both SDSU's and USD's QB had a lot of success throwing the ball against them in the first half of their respective games. If the Bison offense can keep the chains moving and finish drives in the endzone it'll be a long Trees Bowl for the Trees.

EC8CH
10-25-2021, 04:41 PM
http://youtu.be/FshU58nI0Ts

If that awesome video guy could work this into his next hype video for the Trees Bowl against the Trees like the last Bear Hunt one, that's be great.

tony
10-26-2021, 09:49 PM
Yeah, their offense is not good. In the FCS they're ranked 94th in passing offense, 96th in rushing offense, 106th in total offense, and 104th in scoring offense. So I'm gonna guess they don't match up well with the Bison defense. :)

It is really hard to get a handle on college football this year.

I was listening to Bison1600 and they've switched their OC and he loves reverses and whatnot. I do not expect an easy game but would love to be surprised. I just don't think our rush offense is doing well enough to bulldoze conference teams this year.

Professor Chaos
10-27-2021, 12:18 AM

I was listening to Bison1600 and they've switched their OC and he loves reverses and whatnot. I do not expect an easy game but would love to be surprised. I just don't think our rush offense is doing well enough to bulldoze conference teams this year.
It would be nice to see a similar about face for the o-line that we saw in 2015 when Stick took over for Wentz under center. As I recall, the run game was very pedestrian to that point in the season and the o-line took it personally to improve that aspect of the offense from there on out. Hopefully that can happen again this year regardless of whether there's a midseason QB change or not.

56BISON73
10-27-2021, 12:25 AM

Couldnt agree more. A lot of game are like WTF is going on here? Crazy stuff.

CAS4127
10-27-2021, 12:29 AM

Well, our constant jet-sweep action isn’t doing anything other than putting miles-per-game on Watson, at least how or “why” we are running it now.

oldmantutters
10-27-2021, 01:09 AM
Well, our constant jet-sweep action isn’t doing anything other than putting miles-per-game on Watson, at least how or “why” we are running it now.I was really disappointed in our TE blocking on the couple of jet sweeps we ran on Saturday.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

CAS4127
10-27-2021, 01:21 AM
I was really disappointed in our TE blocking on the couple of jet sweeps we ran on Saturday.

Cuz TE’s are sick of it. Insanity: repeating the same conduct thinking there will be a different result. This is especially true with our O and the jet sweep. Everyone in the effing stadium knows what is coming. Hell, sometimes it feels like we run that action just out of habit.

”Ok, line up, run jet-sweep action for the hell of it, and then run the QB up the middle cus we just faked them out with the jet-sweep action that we run every play regardless.”

bisoneer
10-27-2021, 01:39 AM
Heard Coach Entz say QP has an injury that impacts his passing... Did anyone else see or hear that? That is why he was pulled last Sat.....

tjbison
10-27-2021, 01:47 AM
My preview.......YAWN!!!

CAS4127
10-27-2021, 01:51 AM
Heard Coach Entz say QP has an injury that impacts his passing... Did anyone else see or hear that? That is why he was pulled last Sat.....

Really? Haven’t heard anything about any of this. Please enlighten us all/me. What happened/when/where how? Crazy.

Kevin
10-27-2021, 01:55 AM
Really? Haven’t heard anything about any of this. Please enlighten us all/me. What happened/when/where how? Crazy.

Not sure but he took a hard fall on his shoulder and was slow to get up at one point early.

CAS4127
10-27-2021, 02:03 AM
Not sure but he took a hard fall on his shoulder and was slow to get up at one point early.

I’ve witnessed personally the same thing happening to SDBison during tailgate, and he walked it off.

IndyBison
10-27-2021, 02:19 AM
I like this game because there are always a few players at ISU I saw play in high school. I also get to work some scrimmages there. Coach Mallory is a great coach. The son of a friend and fellow college official is a backup TE.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SDbison
10-27-2021, 02:22 AM
Heard Coach Entz say QP has an injury that impacts his passing... Did anyone else see or hear that? That is why he was pulled last Sat..... So QP must have the same injury every game because he rarely completes short or medium passes.

SDbison
10-27-2021, 02:24 AM
I’ve witnessed personally the same thing happening to SDBison during tailgate, and he walked it off. Well there was one time when I didn't, but I did make it back for the 2nd half.

CAS4127
10-27-2021, 02:29 AM
So QP must have the same injury every game because he rarely completes short or medium passes.

LMAO! Like Richman recruiting shooting guards who can’t make a 10-foot jumper.

Professor Chaos
10-27-2021, 02:46 AM
The tale of the tape:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51631190447_e26305c8c5_z.jpg

This is the first time I've dug into these NDSU numbers in terms of where they sit for a national rank and I've got to admit I'm really surprised how efficient the offense has actually been. 9th in yards per play (6.55), 2nd in yards per carry (5.88), 13th in yards per pass attempt (8.29), 21st in team passing efficiency (144.6), and 25th in 3rd down conversion percentage (43.5%). I'd say the only thing that is really lagging, no the surprise of nobody, is redzone efficiency. They're currently 59th in redzone TD percentage (60.7%) and 61st in redzone score percentage (78.6%). It's certainly not at the 2017-2019 level of offensive efficiency but I think it's better that many of us are making it out it to be. But stats are like lingerie... what they show is interesting but what they hide is even more interesting.

As for this game, on paper, it doesn't look like one that should be close.

oldmantutters
10-27-2021, 06:05 AM
I’ve witnessed personally the same thing happening to SDBison during tailgate, and he walked it off.I saw the same thing and SD had to switch his shotgunning arm and was never really the same. He went from a 3.2 sec/can to 3.5 sec/can which will get you get you beat in a race vs a SDSu heffer every time.

BisonHorns
10-27-2021, 11:07 AM
I was really disappointed in our TE blocking on the couple of jet sweeps we ran on Saturday.

Yes, during the plays I was like who missed that block because the defense blew up the run before it eve got started. Then watching the replay on the screen you would see a useless block.

tony
10-27-2021, 02:02 PM
Well, our constant jet-sweep action isn’t doing anything other than putting miles-per-game on Watson, at least how or “why” we are running it now.

Yeah, I would rather not see that again because I don't like seeing are best offensive player running parallel to the line of scrimmage - that's how EWU got to play a second half without Cooper Kupp. Maybe if he went deeper so it looks like he might be passing the ball? At least that way he'd get the ball facing somewhat forward and it might keep a safety from charging in at his knees.

Kujava23
10-27-2021, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I would rather not see that again because I don't like seeing are best offensive player running parallel to the line of scrimmage - that's how EWU got to play a second half without Cooper Kupp. Maybe if he went deeper so it looks like he might be passing the ball? At least that way he'd get the ball facing somewhat forward and it might keep a safety from charging in at his knees.

How bout a bubble screen or rocket screen to Watson instead----if our QB can make that throw

I'd reallllllly like to see a MIDDLE screen to a RB sometime this yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr----if our QB can make that throw

tony
10-27-2021, 02:45 PM
The tale of the tape:

I did the same thing but when I looked at stats for conference-games only, you can really see why people have been saying that the offense has been struggling.

8th in scoring offense (24.3ppg) and 10th in yards gained (325 ypg).

In 2019, NDSU scored 39ppg in conference and was rushing for over 300ypg - total ypg was over 500 in the MVFC. So, yeah, we were a little spoiled in 2019. This year's team reminds me more of the 2011 team - NDSU was dead last in total offense that year.

Kujava23
10-27-2021, 02:46 PM
I did the same thing but when I looked at stats for conference-games only, you can really see why people have been saying that the offense has been struggling.

In 2019, NDSU scored 39ppg in conference and was rushing for over 300ypg - total ypg was over 500 in the MVFC. So, yeah, we were a little spoiled in 2019. This year's team reminds me more of the 2011 team - NDSU was dead last in total offense that year.

So in your opinion----is this reflective of the QB play or the play calling

Professor Chaos
10-27-2021, 03:52 PM

Good points. I see a strong resemblance to the 2012 team in this year's team. Questionable offense but an absolutely rock solid defense. The 2012 team got some blowouts in league play though (YSU, USD) and we haven't seen yet out of this year's team.

tony
10-27-2021, 04:02 PM

Neither, wholly. It's execution and talent. And the execution is off for all sorts of reasons - some of it is errant throws by the QB, some of it is on guys whiffing on blocks, and some of it is NDSU just not being able to manhandle MVFC defenses this year.

It's always easy to blame playcalling because all you have to do is say that a play didn't work so it was the wrong call... I'm no football genius but that is not a clever take.

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2021, 04:33 PM

Not that you asked me but I think they are inextricably linked. I don’t believe for a second that any of these coaches are fools and therefore they call plays that they feel or know the players on the field can successfully execute.

I noted that they called some different ones once Cam was on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisoneer
10-27-2021, 04:34 PM

Shoulder injury info on QB:

https://twitter.com/McFeely_Inforum/status/1452772638611447813?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1452772638611447813%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.inforum.com%2Fbison-media-zone%2Fmens-sports%2Ffootball%2F7253626-McFeely-What-a-weird-time-for-a-Bison-QB-controversy

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2021, 04:39 PM
CAS’ purple pen must have run dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonHorns
10-28-2021, 01:03 AM
Isu coaches radio show. They don't talk about ndsu until the 42 minute mark.

ISC Sports Network (@iscsportsnet) Tweeted:
WATCH: The @IndStAthletics Coaches Show with @_LukePMartin! https://t.co/iT0ypXgmxN https://twitter.com/iscsportsnet/status/1453157328753020935?s=20

BisonHorns
10-28-2021, 01:06 AM
Isu coaches weekly press conference.
Starts ndsu talk at 3 1/2 minute mark.
https://gosycamores.com/news/2021/10/25/football-coach-mallory-weekly-press-conference-north-dakota-state.aspx

bisoneer
10-28-2021, 01:45 AM
So glad to see that we have Grant Olson back in the herd after his short stint with the Larry Bird school. Will be nice to play this team and heal up before the jack bunnies game. Cant imagine Stegelmeir losing 4 in a row but could happen!!!

bisoneer
10-28-2021, 03:06 AM
Just so you couch potatoes know, I was in the seats screaming for those late procedure penalties the Bears had and only 15,000 there or less so kind of a shame when we can't fill it full for a great team like this....Corporates have bought up many former season ticket holders my friends that have passed on to the next world and did not keep going in their families with so these seats are not being filled but are sold. If we move up to FBS I do not see this changing the picture as far as filled seats. May get worse as prices will go up to pay for more scholarships and etc. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Just saying status quo and having a winner vs. loser Vikings, Twins and other neighbors is a great situation for the attitude. Bitch all you want, talk the talk or walk the walk.

Kujava23
10-28-2021, 02:23 PM
Neither, wholly. It's execution and talent. And the execution is off for all sorts of reasons - some of it is errant throws by the QB, some of it is on guys whiffing on blocks, and some of it is NDSU just not being able to manhandle MVFC defenses this year.

It's always easy to blame playcalling because all you have to do is say that a play didn't work so it was the wrong call... I'm no football genius but that is not a clever take.

Agree execution is the KEY! But I'd like to see some ADJUSTMENTS if our zone blocking scheme isn't working. We did see a change in formations--shifts....FB being used as soon as the QB change---which was surprising. I like formation shifts, motion every play, and also like to see us run some A gap or C gap power. We still haven't executed out of diamond formation in run game or thrown the wheel route out of it. I also want to see just ONE----Bison Middle Screen to a rb...heck could even be a FB or TE---but run a screen pleeeeaaasseeeee

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-30-2021, 01:28 AM
Had to dust off this thread just for karma’s sake. It was kind of buried but the last post was just yesterday. Go figure. This team is still gelling and it's fun to watch them improve each week, that much is certain

Just tried to buy tickets but the section sold out while I was buying them. I’ll try again later or see what’s still around in the AM

Why is this called the tree bowl? Because they’re the Sycamores? That'd be my guess

Go Bison!!

westnodak93bison
10-30-2021, 01:32 AM
LMAO! Like Richman recruiting shooting guards who can’t make a 10-foot jumper.Nobody does the jumper anymore. Its either drive to da hoop or wheel & deal, shake & bake then jack up a 3

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CAS4127
10-30-2021, 01:32 AM
Had to dust off this thread just for karma’s sake. It was kind of buried but the last post was just yesterday. Go figure. This team is still gelling and it's fun to watch them improve each week, that much is certain

Just tried to buy tickets but the section sold out while I was buying them. I’ll try again later or see what’s still around in the AM

Why is this called the tree bowl? Because they’re the Sycamores? That'd be my guess

Go Bison!!

Part of it is you get a free tree to plant at the wrong time of year.

StL Bison Fan
10-30-2021, 02:19 AM
Part of it is you get a free tree to plant at the wrong time of year.

Plant it. I did an Arbor Day in December one year. In Hillsboro
Just make sure to water it until freeze up.

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-30-2021, 03:44 AM
Wait, everybody gets a tree? Kinda like bat day?

I would only plant northern species this late, and yes, like he says, you still have to water them. It is deceptively dry here. Prairie winds and such

Hammersmith
10-30-2021, 06:55 AM
Wait, everybody gets a tree? Kinda like bat day?

I would only plant northern species this late, and yes, like he says, you still have to water them. It is deceptively dry here. Prairie winds and such

Yep. Trees Bowl, sponsored by ND Forest Service(strangely, not an oxymoron). Been doing the Trees Bowl since 1990 and this is the first time the opponent was Indiana St. That seems like a failure on someone's part. LOL

I think most or all of the seedling given out(3000) are conifers of some sort.

StL Bison Fan
10-30-2021, 07:00 AM
Yep. Trees Bowl, sponsored by ND Forest Service(strangely, not an oxymoron). Been doing the Trees Bowl since 1990 and this is the first time the opponent was Indiana St. That seems like a failure on someone's part. LOL

I think most or all of the seedling given out(3000) are conifers of some sort.

Usually spruce or scotch pine. Also burr oak. Grown at the Towner nursery. One year though we had to pass out tree shaped Christmas ornaments because it was later in November (I think we also gave out key chains one year.)

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-30-2021, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Don’t know why I didn’t know that, TBH, given I’ve been a fan for over 10 years now. Scots pine is a nice tree for these parts, although it seems to have been a tough year for trees around here in general. Perhaps La Nina can fix that. Fingers crossed. I mean, they’re building the diversion so we might as well stay "wet", right? How much would it suck to build that thing and then have it go all arid on us.

1st&TennBison
10-30-2021, 11:14 AM
Maybe if we get lucky, and the weather patterns keep shifting enough, they will be handing out Palm Trees in a few years.

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-30-2021, 11:56 AM
Maybe if we get lucky, and the weather patterns keep shifting enough, they will be handing out Palm Trees in a few years.

Ha! One man’s heaven is another man’s hell. Ain’t that the truth? I guess I’d be moving to Yellowknife then

oldmantutters
10-30-2021, 02:16 PM
Any idea how they choose which week it is? It likes like it has varied greatly throughout it's history.

StL Bison Fan
10-31-2021, 02:37 AM
Any idea how they choose which week it is? It likes like it has varied greatly throughout it's history.

They get a date that the big guys (donors) don’t take. Since the FS is part of Ndsu it makes sense.
The sponsorship is paid for by funds from the income tax check off. The sponsorship is not free. Obviously, the tickets and meals for around 100 are not either.

tony
11-01-2021, 06:01 PM

I much prefer Christian lined up beside our QB so that he turn up field more easily.

Also, I need to find out if I've been granted three wishes: I would like to win the big Powerball jackpot this week.

BisonHorns
11-06-2021, 02:29 AM
Coach talks about loss to NDSU.
https://gosycamores.com/news/2021/11/4/football-coach-mallory-weekly-press-conference-bye-week.aspx