PDA

View Full Version : If Larson did have contact with the MW?

Herd
10-19-2021, 11:11 PM
There’s no way in hell he’d communicate that to McF. That’s the last person he could afford to say anything to.

Therefore, it’s entirely possible, even likely he has had contact with MW. Forum article, not worth the ink it’s written on.

Discuss . . .

SDbison
10-19-2021, 11:15 PM
What article?....paywall in the way

SDbison
10-19-2021, 11:17 PM
Also don't believe Matt Larson would stick his neck out for anything. He is a loser AD and NDSU is worse off for having him.

Herd
10-19-2021, 11:21 PM
Paraphrasing . . . McF said that he asked Larson directly if he’s been recently contacted by the MW after MW article that stated the MW had contact some potential move up from FCS schools.

Larson said NO. Triggering the latest NDSU stuck in FCS forever article by McF. I say, youre a dumb a$$ McF, of course that’s what he’s going to tell you.

SDbison
10-19-2021, 11:26 PM
Paraphrasing . . . McF said that he asked Larson directly if he’s been recently contacted by the MW after MW article that stated the MW had contact some potential move up from FCS schools.

Larson said NO. Triggering the latest NDSU stuck in FCS forever article by McF. I say, youre a dumb a$$ McF, of course that’s what he’s going to tell you. We all know ML does nothing.

Herd
10-19-2021, 11:27 PM
We all know ML does nothing.

Or he keeps his mouth shut. I’d say it’s the latter.

SDbison
10-19-2021, 11:33 PM
Or he keeps his mouth shut. I’d say it’s the latter. bwahaha! Have you ever talked with the guy. And what are his accomplishments. The crappy SHAC, the just started and late to get done practice facility?

THEsocalledfan
10-19-2021, 11:37 PM
bwahaha! Have you ever talked with the guy. And what are his accomplishments. The crappy SHAC, the just started and late to get done practice facility?

I don't know about this one.... the forum guys have been reporting that NDSU administration was absolutely pissed about what happened last fall And have shown interest in moving FBS because of it. I guess they were really upset that the bottom dwellers were making all the decisions instead of the Premier programs....McFeely said this on doms show just today.

SDbison
10-19-2021, 11:40 PM
I don't know about this one.... the forum guys have been reporting that NDSU administration was absolutely pissed about what happened last fall And have shown interest in moving FBS because of it. I guess they were really upset that the bottom dwellers were making all the decisions instead of the Premier programs....McFeely said this on doms show just today. Show some proof. Lame ducks running the show.

NDSU1980
10-19-2021, 11:43 PM
bwahaha! Have you ever talked with the guy. And what are his accomplishments. The crappy SHAC, the just started and late to get done practice facility?

So the $50 million IPF doesn't impress you? And he's getting it all done in one shot. Would you rather have had a half assed IPF completed 10 years ago or a top shelf one now?

SDbison
10-19-2021, 11:45 PM
So the $50 million IPF doesn't impress you? And he's getting it all done in one shot. Would you rather have had a half assed IPF completed 10 years ago or a top shelf one now? The second phase is not a done deal yet. Matt Larson is nobody compared to Gene Taylor.

NDSU1980
10-19-2021, 11:57 PM
The second phase is not a done deal yet. Matt Larson is nobody compared to Gene Taylor.

I'll trust ML that all the money will be in hand by December. I highly doubt he would say it if it wasn't true. If they were thinking they'd be short he'd be begging for contributions.

And I'm fully on board with going FBS. Just give it a chance to work out

WeAreThePride
10-20-2021, 12:40 AM
Well Lakes is probably best friends with his grandma. Let's get his take on this!

NDSUstudent
10-20-2021, 12:43 AM

SD the shitty SHAC is 100% on GT, not ML. I love GT but lets be real, ML took over when ground was broken. As for ML....Look at the IPF in comparison, he seems to be doing ok.

I think the FBS direction is more of a president level move and the AD is going to follow along with whatever they want.

DakotaOkie
10-20-2021, 01:50 AM
I think the FBS direction is more of a president level move and the AD is going to follow along with whatever they want.
This is probably true (a leadership thing...think Joe Chapman taking the D1 plunge). Given the state board hires the next president, it is unlikely they pick someone with ambitious goals for NDSU. Too many ND folks in power with zero ambition to move beyond the status quo.

THEsocalledfan
10-20-2021, 01:53 AM
Show some proof. Lame ducks running the show.

I did... listen today. Jeff said same in the past.

SDbison
10-20-2021, 02:15 AM
SD the shitty SHAC is 100% on GT, not ML. I love GT but lets be real, ML took over when ground was broken. As for ML....Look at the IPF in comparison, he seems to be doing ok.

I think the FBS direction is more of a president level move and the AD is going to follow along with whatever they want. Take it how you want, but I talked to Gene several times when the SHAC was being planned. It was supposed to be a permanent bowl with only the side with the columns being re-used. Apparently the bowl design was dropped at some point late in the process and instead pull out seats put in. Doubt Gene was in favor of the change and he was close to moving on at the time.

EC8CH
10-20-2021, 02:24 AM
Take it how you want, but I talked to Gene several times when the SHAC was being planned. It was supposed to be a permanent bowl with only the side with the columns being re-used. Apparently the bowl design was dropped at some point late in the process and instead pull out seats put in. Doubt Gene was in favor of the change and he was close to moving on at the time.

Never been to a wrestling match. Could the shac be used if the seats didn't push back. Not sure how the floor is set up. Just curious if this was part of the decision.

NDSUstudent
10-20-2021, 02:26 AM
Take it how you want, but I talked to Gene several times when the SHAC was being planned. It was supposed to be a permanent bowl with only the side with the columns being re-used. Apparently the bowl design was dropped at some point late in the process and instead pull out seats put in. Doubt Gene was in favor of the change and he was close to moving on at the time.

Well you can't really blame ML for something that was already underconstruction is my point, when it comes to facilities he has been great. The IPF, softball upgrade, new track...he is doing great work on that front.

The SHAC should have been a track/athletic admin facility and a new arena built somewhere else on campus. The massive error was trying to convert into something it never was designed to be, a good basketball venue. I wlll never understand why we didn't just build UNI's arena on our campus, that is what USD basically did.

bisonforever
10-20-2021, 03:22 AM
The second phase is not a done deal yet. Matt Larson is nobody compared to Gene Taylor. True ML is not GT! Phase 2 funding is done! I guy wrote check to pay the cost of phase 2.

Herd
10-20-2021, 03:42 AM
IMO . . .

DII to DI, primarily a President led move with AD support.

DI FCS to DI FBS, both AD and President led move, benefitted by state support.

HerdBot
10-20-2021, 04:21 AM
In the world of public record requests, the odds of something g being hidden is really slim, unless it was a phone call

Things will start getting crazy soon. The AAC is poaching half of Conference USA and they will be fighting for survival.

When Boise leaves, I have a gut feeling you could see Colorado State either go to the Big 12 or Pac 12 to unite with Colorado. Suddenly there are very few teams in the western half and your down to 10 teams. The NCAA requires 12 for a conference championship game. What that means to us is unknown but Conference USA is going to be desperate. The Sunbelt could put a knife in them by being proactive and getting JMU and Liberty

123Gobison
10-20-2021, 04:32 AM
The second phase is not a done deal yet. Matt Larson is nobody compared to Gene Taylor.

I will wear my shoulder pads and run through a brick wall for Gene Taylor. Everything we have today (post 2011) is because of his leadership and vision. I strongly suggest we name a street in Fargo , AD Gene Taylor Street.

https://youtu.be/oN2Xs-MvxLw

HerdBot
10-20-2021, 06:07 AM
True ML is not GT! Phase 2 funding is done! I guy wrote check to pay the cost of phase 2.

Matt had been the AD for 4 National Championships (5 technically), increased the overall budget, got us Full Cost of Attendance, fundraised a new softball stadium, new Outdoor Track and Field, and an IPF that will be $50 million dollars, that's as much as Gene Taylor raised for the entire SHAC and it didn't take him a decade. Matt also got us an Oregon game, Arizona and 2 games in Minneapolis. Once could argue, Matt had surpassed Gene Taylor much like Klieman surpassed Bohl. But Klieman wouldn't have had the same success without Bohl.

Gotta give Todd Phelps credit for that too but Matt hired him

Edit: We also remodeled the locker rooms, team meeting room, coaching offices upgrades, Dacotah Field remodeled with turf and built new volleyball locker rooms and coaching offices. Oh and he was also the AD when we moved to the Big 12 in wrestling. Sheet, he even got beer in the SHAC

He's openly said if an invite came, we would take a look at it

scottietohottie
10-20-2021, 08:10 AM
Matt had been the AD for 4 National Championships (5 technically), increased the overall budget, got us Full Cost of Attendance, fundraised a new softball stadium, new Outdoor Track and Field, and an IPF that will be $50 million dollars, that's as much as Gene Taylor raised for the entire SHAC and it didn't take him a decade. Matt also got us an Oregon game, Arizona and 2 games in Minneapolis. Once could argue, Matt had surpassed Gene Taylor much like Klieman surpassed Bohl. But Klieman wouldn't have had the same success without Bohl.

Edit: We also remodeled the locker rooms, team meeting room, coaching offices upgrades, Dacotah Field remodeled with turf and built new volleyball locker rooms and coaching offices. Oh and he was also the AD when we moved to the Big 12 in wrestling. Sheet, he even got beer in the SHAC

Don't forget that fall showcase.

roadwarrior
10-20-2021, 11:15 AM

This is not true. The pull out seats were always part of the plan. What we have is basically what was set in stone the day construction started.

CaBisonFan
10-20-2021, 11:17 AM
Just a general statement regarding a move... if Cincinnati can do it, NDSU can do it.

Bison 4 Life
10-20-2021, 12:02 PM
Just a general statement regarding a move... if Cincinnati can do it, NDSU can do it.

Please tell me anything similar with those universities.

CalBison97
10-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Surely admin has felt pressure from part of the fan base to explore a move up. What would be the harm in ML saying he DID have a discussion with a conference? And if that discussion got out, could it not pique the interest of multiple conferences?

Professor Chaos
10-20-2021, 01:03 PM
In the world of public record requests, the odds of something g being hidden is really slim, unless it was a phone call

Things will start getting crazy soon. The AAC is poaching half of Conference USA and they will be fighting for survival.

When Boise leaves, I have a gut feeling you could see Colorado State either go to the Big 12 or Pac 12 to unite with Colorado. Suddenly there are very few teams in the western half and your down to 10 teams. The NCAA requires 12 for a conference championship game. What that means to us is unknown but Conference USA is going to be desperate. The Sunbelt could put a knife in them by being proactive and getting JMU and Liberty
I don't think there's any requirement for 12 teams to have a conference title game. Logistically that works better but the Big 12 has had a conference title game for the last few years with 10 teams in the league.

Bisonator98
10-20-2021, 01:08 PM
How the hell would he be able to keep it under wraps if it was indeed talked about? Nothing can be kept secret in ND with our open records laws. It's one of the reasons very few top candidates want to work here!

That said ML should be out in front on this and proactively seeking a FB only invite at the very least. Not doing so is being asleep at the wheel and a piss poor AD.

bisontown
10-20-2021, 01:15 PM

Yea, well what has he done today?

Herd
10-20-2021, 01:42 PM
How the hell would he be able to keep it under wraps if it was indeed talked about? Nothing can be kept secret in ND with our open records laws. It's one of the reasons very few top candidates want to work here!

That said ML should be out in front on this and proactively seeking a FB only invite at the very least. Not doing so is being asleep at the wheel and a piss poor AD.

Being generally open, and being open with McF are two different things. McF has a blow horn and is an idiot who would likely s few things up. So no, I would not say a word to him. But if you think ML isn’t in communication with the MW, you are nieve.

Professor Chaos
10-20-2021, 01:51 PM

How is it different than Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC? That was not made public until an invite was imminent. When that happened I read that there had been months of discussion behind the scenes leading up to that. If anything, I'd expect it to be easier to keep a relatively low profile discussion like NDSU to the MWC under wraps the same way.

PlainsBison
10-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Realize that if NDSU starts to openly talk about wishes and wants, it leads to a ton of speculation by everyone, which isn’t necessarily healthy. Typically when you pursue something, you do a lot of behind the scenes work and them provide information at the appropriate time.

Bisonator98
10-20-2021, 02:13 PM
Being generally open, and being open with McF are two different things. McF has a blow horn and is an idiot who would likely s few things up. So no, I would not say a word to him. But if you think ML isn’t in communication with the MW, you are nieve.

How is it different than Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC? That was not made public until an invite was imminent. When that happened I read that there had been months of discussion behind the scenes leading up to that. If anything, I'd expect it to be easier to keep a relatively low profile discussion like NDSU to the MWC under wraps the same way.

So you guys think ML has a burner phone and email he's using for these discussions? You guys know how open record requests work right? Yeah I'm sure everything he has discussed with the MW was face to face........so where did those meetings take place?

Professor Chaos
10-20-2021, 02:20 PM
So you guys think ML has a burner phone and email he's using for these discussions? You guys know how open record requests work right? Yeah I'm sure everything he has discussed with the MW was face to face........so where did those meetings take place?
I don't know... and I'd wager no one else weighing in on this thread does either. But they have open record requests in Texas and Oklahoma too not to mention a lot more local and national press to avoid yet they pulled off a much bigger move with nothing leaking to the public until months after serious discussions had began and a move was imminent.

HerdBot
10-20-2021, 02:25 PM
I don't think there's any requirement for 12 teams to have a conference title game. Logistically that works better but the Big 12 has had a conference title game for the last few years with 10 teams in the league.

The requirement for a conference to have 12 teams in order to stage a championship game resulted in the Big 12 halting its championship game after the 2010 season, as the conference contracted to 10 members in 2011 (while retaining its name).

Professor Chaos
10-20-2021, 02:42 PM
The requirement for a conference to have 12 teams in order to stage a championship game resulted in the Big 12 halting its championship game after the 2010 season, as the conference contracted to 10 members in 2011 (while retaining its name).

Looks like that was changed in 2016 (mainly at the behest of the Big 12): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Championship_Game

It looks like the stipulation is that any conference with fewer than 12 teams that wants to play a championship game has to play a full round robin schedule (for some reason).

Bisonator98
10-20-2021, 02:43 PM
I don't know... and I'd wager no one else weighing in on this thread does either. But they have open record requests in Texas and Oklahoma too not to mention a lot more local and national press to avoid yet they pulled off a much bigger move with nothing leaking to the public until months after serious discussions had began and a move was imminent.

And we know this how? It's quite possible that TX and OK AD's got together and decided to make the move after one meeting. I mean everyone knows the SEC would jump at adding both those schools whenever they wanted aboard.

kab1one
10-20-2021, 02:47 PM
Two Items

1)Could if be possible NDSU ISN'T getting calls from the Mountain West or Mid America Conference? NDSU and Fargo has issues working against us. Location and size of media market. I don't want to hear comparisons to Laramie and Manhatten Kansas. Schools in those markets are able to generate $10's of millions for their respective media deals. Look at NDSU's with Learfield. $2 million, $3 million? Thus adding an NDSU along with cost of travel, you are diluting your gross revenue pool as NDSU does not meet the league averages (Mountain West for sure, Manhatten and KSU used for size of city discussion). So if NDSU doesn't add enough to the top line to keep the existing schools even at least. No reason to subsidize NDSU and add them.

2) Was the money ever fully raised for the SHAC? If you recall, the fundraising effort was $6-8 million short and the development foundation stepped.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?42025-If-Larson-did-have-contact-with-the-MW/page4

I have never found this mentioned again. Did the Development Foundation ultimately write the last check or did the athletic department raise the funds and relieve the foundation from its guarantee. I have never seen that the latter happen. Never been talked about again. I suppose I could go into the Foundation financials and see if they completed the project.

That said, raising money for the IPF in my opinion is a more complete project from the Matt larson's perspective as the money has been raised.

one more point to add. Does it make sense to be working on a conference move as a bottom tier member of any conference you go to? you spend day and night trying and then the goalposts move again. Lets say MW was close. Then all of a sudden, Boise, CSU Vegas and Fresno are gone and for all practical purposes the conference is too. Time and effort is lost. Until you know what the landscape looks like, it may be better to sit back and wait.

Professor Chaos
10-20-2021, 02:48 PM
And we know this how? It's quite possible that TX and OK AD's got together and decided to make the move after one meeting. I mean everyone knows the SEC would jump at adding both those schools whenever they wanted aboard.
https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/1418553992691466245

Prominent Big 12 source tells the American-Statesman the Texas-OU move to the SEC is almost done. "They've been working on this for a minimum of 6 months, and the A&M leadership was left out of discussions and wasn't told about it." Move could become official in a week.

Bisonator98
10-20-2021, 02:53 PM
https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/1418553992691466245

Sorry but I don't believe everything an anonymous source spews on the twitter sphere. If that was true I'm fairly sure someone in the media would have done some digging to provide facts.......oh wait nevermind the media now days absolutely sucks and doesn't want to do anymore work then they have to.

Kevin
10-20-2021, 02:55 PM
Bros, just got off a conference call with Lakes and the SEC. Big things in the works. Keep the faith.

Just two more weeks.

Bisonator98
10-20-2021, 02:56 PM
Bros, just got off a conference call with Lakes and the SEC. Big things in the works. Keep the faith.

Just two more weeks.

2 weeks?? WTF come on man!

Professor Chaos
10-20-2021, 02:59 PM
Sorry but I don't believe everything an anonymous source spews on the twitter sphere. If that was true I'm fairly sure someone in the media would have done some digging to provide facts.......oh wait nevermind the media now days absolutely sucks and doesn't want to do anymore work then they have to.
That's the senior sports columnist for the main newspaper in Austin... it's not like he's Handsome Marvin Ransom or something.

You go ahead and trust your gut though since the level of proof you require to show that these moves don't happen in the public eye isn't something that's ever going to be made available.

OrygunBison
10-20-2021, 03:28 PM
Sorry but I don't believe in common sense.

Well, that point is clear.

PickedBess
10-20-2021, 03:37 PM

Where
Walk a mile

THEsocalledfan
10-20-2021, 04:28 PM
Really, really hope MW gets 2 poached, and then the combination of SDSU and NDSU makes sense, ideally football only. But, I live in fairly godmother land.....and just don't see how we ever overcome the location issue.

StL Bison Fan
10-20-2021, 04:44 PM
Really, really hope MW gets 2 poached, and then the combination of SDSU and NDSU makes sense, ideally football only. But, I live in fairly godmother land.....and just don't see how we ever overcome the location issue.

I usually cite that we are too far, but what about Hawaii? I wouldn’t get to drive to that one.

HerdBot
10-20-2021, 04:51 PM
Two Items

1)Could if be possible NDSU ISN'T getting calls from the Mountain West or Mid America Conference? NDSU and Fargo has issues working against us. Location and size of media market. I don't want to hear comparisons to Laramie and Manhatten Kansas. Schools in those markets are able to generate $10's of millions for their respective media deals. Look at NDSU's with Learfield. $2 million, $3 million? Thus adding an NDSU along with cost of travel, you are diluting your gross revenue pool as NDSU does not meet the league averages (Mountain West for sure, Manhatten and KSU used for size of city discussion). So if NDSU doesn't add enough to the top line to keep the existing schools even at least. No reason to subsidize NDSU and add them.

2) Was the money ever fully raised for the SHAC? If you recall, the fundraising effort was $6-8 million short and the development foundation stepped.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?42025-If-Larson-did-have-contact-with-the-MW/page4

I have never found this mentioned again. Did the Development Foundation ultimately write the last check or did the athletic department raise the funds and relieve the foundation from its guarantee. I have never seen that the latter happen. Never been talked about again. I suppose I could go into the Foundation financials and see if they completed the project.

That said, raising money for the IPF in my opinion is a more complete project from the Matt larson's perspective as the money has been raised.

one more point to add. Does it make sense to be working on a conference move as a bottom tier member of any conference you go to? you spend day and night trying and then the goalposts move again. Lets say MW was close. Then all of a sudden, Boise, CSU Vegas and Fresno are gone and for all practical purposes the conference is too. Time and effort is lost. Until you know what the landscape looks like, it may be better to sit back and wait.

We're not getting calls because the Mountain West and MAC haven't lost 1 team yet. Being rumored to leave isn't the same as leaving.

NDSU is NOT the Fargo market. We are the North Dakota Market and western Minnesota market. One could argue, we are bigger in Minnesota than North Dakota. That's why our radio network goes all the way down I-94 and has affiliates in St Cloud and Minneapolis. That's why we draw 35K people for a game in Minneapolis. Don't we have more alumni in Minnesota than North Dakota?

For football only, travel costs are irrelevant because every game in the Mountain West is charter flight for every team. We woudn't join as an all sports league. But even if we did, we would get FBS payouts for FBS games. Like 2.5 million to play Texas. Not the measly 500-600K we get now.

And I agree, ML has been a better fundraiser than GT. But GT built the foundation.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/tOgKKiIcqNnwV8yPrs2co0x2e_awSjMmJxx5VoOtpfx7kyBLOA u6dEypZK4nsCLBLjDbuKkiFDEMkX2bHf_-Cb27Jy3Qb1JHR6ar1MvwXIbCXsIWvXsig-CKvhHGIubDRosMLaQ6HXam7SwjBR5TgXx3dLLqdlwqfLy8Q3B3 uBjFFOvjXrQ0jwAYj0orFU4

Coverage before adding St Cloud
https://gobison.com/images/2019/8/12/Bison_Radio_Network_2019.jpg?preset=large.socialme diaimage

IndyBison
10-20-2021, 05:05 PM
I usually cite that we are too far, but what about Hawaii? I wouldn’t get to drive to that one.Distance definitely is a factor but it's not an absolute deterrent. It's just much easier to add a school already in your footprint. Fargo isn't in or near anyone's footprint. Fortunately the school and athletic department have built a brand that makes it desirable for conferences looking to expand. I'm sure they are on the radar of many conferences. The president and AD may have to do some sales and marketing but NDSU is known by those who need to know.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kevin
10-20-2021, 05:44 PM
2 weeks?? WTF come on man!

CAS and I will be discussing this on our new, (as of now) unnamed radio show. Special guest PL to discuss his pending lawsuit against Tony.

The show will air in just two more weeks.

Hammerhead
10-20-2021, 06:50 PM
CAS and I will be discussing this on our new, (as of now) unnamed radio show. Special guest PL to discuss his pending lawsuit against Tony.

You could name it Shootin' the breeze with Kevdogg and CAS or maybe Charles in Charge.

Kevin
10-20-2021, 06:57 PM
You could name it Shootin' the breeze with Kevdogg and CAS or maybe Charles in Charge.

I'll add that to the list. Frontrunner right now is K-Dogg & The Cashole.

El_Chapo
10-20-2021, 07:37 PM

ENOUGH WITH THE LOCATION!

WE FLY TO YOUNGSTOWN OHIO and SPRINGFIELD MISSOURI what the difference between that and Colorado State, Wyoming, Air FOrce. maybe a duck fart.

if NDSU is football only in a confererence, they FLY 1 time every 2 years to FARGO big flipping deal.
MAYBE NDSU promises to have 2 Neutral site games in Minneapolis to appease them for a big market

doesnt matter you won't see this post until next tuesday

56BISON73
10-20-2021, 08:02 PM

:rofl:................

Kevin
10-20-2021, 09:33 PM
I'll add that to the list. Frontrunner right now is K-Dogg & The Cashole.

The bro sho?

Kevin
10-20-2021, 09:53 PM
Lakes u need to up your game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2UrI1t8nw

EC8CH
10-20-2021, 10:03 PM
The bro sho?

KEV & CAS talk out their Ass.

Kevin
10-20-2021, 10:07 PM
KEV & CAS talk out their Ass.

That's a good one but now he'll never go for it because you said it. Thanks.

kab1one
10-20-2021, 10:14 PM
We're not getting calls because the Mountain West and MAC haven't lost 1 team yet. Being rumored to leave isn't the same as leaving.

NDSU is NOT the Fargo market. We are the North Dakota Market and western Minnesota market. One could argue, we are bigger in Minnesota than North Dakota. That's why our radio network goes all the way down I-94 and has affiliates in St Cloud and Minneapolis. That's why we draw 35K people for a game in Minneapolis. Don't we have more alumni in Minnesota than North Dakota?

For football only, travel costs are irrelevant because every game in the Mountain West is charter flight for every team. We woudn't join as an all sports league. But even if we did, we would get FBS payouts for FBS games. Like 2.5 million to play Texas. Not the measly 500-600K we get now.

And I agree, ML has been a better fundraiser than GT. But GT built the foundation.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/tOgKKiIcqNnwV8yPrs2co0x2e_awSjMmJxx5VoOtpfx7kyBLOA u6dEypZK4nsCLBLjDbuKkiFDEMkX2bHf_-Cb27Jy3Qb1JHR6ar1MvwXIbCXsIWvXsig-CKvhHGIubDRosMLaQ6HXam7SwjBR5TgXx3dLLqdlwqfLy8Q3B3 uBjFFOvjXrQ0jwAYj0orFU4

Coverage before adding St Cloud
https://gobison.com/images/2019/8/12/Bison_Radio_Network_2019.jpg?preset=large.socialme diaimage

the NDSU media market, whether fargo or upper midwest is what they generate in medial revenue. Whatever Learfield is paying them that is the number. I believe its under 2 million per year. For example, the mountain west, each team gets over 3 million on their media deal. For Example purposes only, bringing NDSU into the NDSU fold is dilutive to the revenue. Thus not advantageous to the conference. Being in the MW doesn't necessarily bring more revenue to the value of NDSU. Why are Rutgers and Maryland in the Big 10 or 14? The New York, Washington, Baltimore, East Coast media market. Those two schools media market bring more to the value of the BIG ten tv deal then they are paid.

EC8CH
10-20-2021, 10:14 PM
That's a good one but now he'll never go for it because you said it. Thanks.

Well... he claims to have me on ignore (which is a total lie) so you're the one who fucked it up by quoting me.

Kevin
10-20-2021, 10:16 PM
Well... he claims to have me on ignore (which is a total lie) so you're the one who fucked it up by quoting me.

Yeah well I've stuck to my 2021 resolution of never taking personal responsibility for anything that happens so fuck u.

EC8CH
10-20-2021, 10:18 PM
Yeah well I've stuck to my 2021 resolution of never taking personal responsibility for anything that happens so fuck u.

Sweet strategy for sticking to resolutions, picking things you already do.

Kevin
10-20-2021, 10:25 PM
Sweet strategy for sticking to resolutions, picking things you already do.

Wait til you see what I'm planning for '22.

Spoiler: it involves not taking a certain jab.

EC8CH
10-20-2021, 10:51 PM
Wait til you see what I'm planning for '22.

Spoiler: it involves not taking a certain jab.

Spike protein zombies will have over run the planet by '22 anyway.

56BISON73
10-20-2021, 10:52 PM
Lakes u need to up your game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2UrI1t8nw

Holy shit that is hilarious.

GreenfieldBison
10-20-2021, 11:24 PM
I usually cite that we are too far, but what about Hawaii? I wouldn’t get to drive to that one.

Nor would you want to. Depending on your conveyance of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HerdBot
10-21-2021, 12:11 AM
the NDSU media market, whether fargo or upper midwest is what they generate in medial revenue. Whatever Learfield is paying them that is the number. I believe its under 2 million per year. For example, the mountain west, each team gets over 3 million on their media deal. For Example purposes only, bringing NDSU into the NDSU fold is dilutive to the revenue. Thus not advantageous to the conference. Being in the MW doesn't necessarily bring more revenue to the value of NDSU. Why are Rutgers and Maryland in the Big 10 or 14? The New York, Washington, Baltimore, East Coast media market. Those two schools media market bring more to the value of the BIG ten tv deal then they are paid.

The concept of media markets is so 1990. With that advent of streaming, media market size is completely irrelevant. It's not like any of these G5 Leagues have their own national TV network deal like the Big Ten Network or the Pac 12 Network. You go for teams that have a good national interest. We have solid TV ratings when on ABC or ESPN (with zero promotion) and we have a national brand. That's why Nebraska was a better add than Rutgers, who in hindsight they probably regret going into the NY Market.

I would argue that the reason Conference USA will be dissolving in the near future is because they chose huge media markets with no name teams that nobody watches over quality programs with great rivalries. A good example of this is the Sunbelt choosing Georgia Southern and Appalachian State. Very small markets but they pack their stadiums and fans nationally find them interesting. Conference USA turned them down. Instead they chose huge markets like North Texas that nobody cares about it Dallas. North Texas to Dallas is what Crookston is to Fargo. When it was time to renew their TV contract, C-USA teams lost 80% of their dollars despite having bigger markets because nobody gives a fuck about half their teams. Now ironically, the Sunbelt with their little former FCS Schools will drive the final nail in C-USAs coffin by stealing their teams because they are the better conference with a better TV deal. NDSU, arguably has a better TV deal than C-USA. Check out how bad it is and it will blow your mind

But a huge asset for NDSU is being in the Central Time Zone. CBS Sports Network HATES the Pacific time zone because it cuts off the entire eastern time zone for ratings.

As far as money goes... if they lose 2 teams, they will have to replace the 2 teams so they money would not be diluted. When they renew their contract in 2025-2026, they will get dramatically less money if they don't have quality teams. Right now the AAC has the best deal, 7 million per team but that will dry up big time.

Gully
10-21-2021, 12:20 AM
The concept of media markets is so 1990. With that advent of streaming, media market size is completely irrelevant. It's not like any of these G5 Leagues have their own national TV network deal like the Big Ten Network or the Pac 12 Network. You go for teams that have a good national interest. We have solid TV ratings when on ABC or ESPN (with zero promotion) and we have a national brand. That's why Nebraska was a better add than Rutgers, who in hindsight they probably regret going into the NY Market.

I would argue that the reason Conference USA will be dissolving in the near future is because they chose huge media markets with no name teams that nobody watches over quality programs with great rivalries. A good example of this is the Sunbelt choosing Georgia Southern and Appalachian State. Very small markets but they pack their stadiums and fans nationally find them interesting. Conference USA turned them down. Instead they chose huge markets like North Texas that nobody cares about it Dallas. North Texas to Dallas is what Crookston is to Fargo. When it was time to renew their TV contract, C-USA teams lost 80% of their dollars despite having bigger markets because nobody gives a fuck about half their teams. Now ironically, the Sunbelt with their little former FCS Schools will drive the final nail in C-USAs coffin by stealing their teams because they are the better conference with a better TV deal. NDSU, arguably has a better TV deal than C-USA. Check out how bad it is and it will blow your mind

But a huge asset for NDSU is being in the Central Time Zone. CBS Sports Network HATES the Pacific time zone because it cuts off the entire eastern time zone for ratings.

As far as money goes... if they lose 2 teams, they will have to replace the 2 teams so they money would not be diluted. When they renew their contract in 2025-2026, they will get dramatically less money if they don't have quality teams. Right now the AAC has the best deal, 7 million per team but that will dry up big time.

This is actually a really good post.

HerdBot
10-21-2021, 01:23 AM

Much of that was stolen from Keith Brake on Bison 1660, but I haven't even touched on the huge payout difference for non conference football games

check out how much more Nebraska pays Georgia Southern compared to FCS schools

South Dakota State: Sep. 12, 2020 ($515,000); Aug. 31, 2024 ($530,000); Sep. 9, 2028 ($575,000)
North Dakota: Sep. 3, 2022 ($515,000); Sept. 19, 2026 ($560,000)
Georgia Southern: Sep. 10, 2022 ($1.42 million)

But check out these FBS guarantees

$1.95 million
UConn at Ohio State – Oct. 18, 2025

$1.925 million
ULM at Alabama – Sept. 6, 2025

$1.915 million
ULM at Alabama – Sept. 17, 2022

$1.91 million
Utah State at Alabama – Sept. 3, 2022

$1.9 million
Southern Miss at Alabama – Sept. 25, 2021
New Mexico State at Alabama – Nov. 13, 2021
WKU at Alabama – Aug. 31, 2024
UMass at Auburn – Nov. 14, 2020
New Mexico at Auburn – Sept. 14, 2024
Kent State at Georgia – Sept. 24, 2022
UAB at Georgia – Sept. 23, 2023
UMass at Georgia – Nov. 23, 2024
Charlotte at Georgia – Nov. 22, 2025
WKU at Georgia – Sept. 12, 2026
Hawaii at Michigan – Sept. 10, 2022
Cal at Notre Dame – Sept. 17, 2022
Ball State at Ohio State – Sept. 5, 2026
USF at Texas – Sept. 5, 2020
Kent State at Texas A&M – Sept. 4, 2021

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-21-2021, 04:54 PM
I asssume the CUSA is now desperate. If NDSU really wants to go FBS at all costs they must approach them with a FB only invite. That limits NDSUs exposure to risk if the CUSA ultimately ends up folding and only has to look elsewhere for FB. I think now is the chance or it’s time to put FBS talk to bed. MWC isn’t happening anytime soon so forget that talk.

THEsocalledfan
10-21-2021, 05:08 PM
I asssume the CUSA is now desperate. If NDSU really wants to go FBS at all costs they must approach them with a FB only invite. That limits NDSUs exposure to risk if the CUSA ultimately ends up folding and only has to look elsewhere for FB. I think now is the chance or it’s time to put FBS talk to bed. MWC isn’t happening anytime soon so forget that talk.

There is a huge danger for NDSU if they don't have a natural rival; think UN_ in the Sky. Gabe did a great job pointing that out on why sun belt has been successful. Really, really want them talking to SDSU before doing anything.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-21-2021, 05:17 PM
There is a huge danger for NDSU if they don't have a natural rival; think UN_ in the Sky. Gabe did a great job pointing that out on why sun belt has been successful. Really, really want them talking to SDSU before doing anything.
FB only would be much less risk than all sports being in the Big Sky. I do agree NDSU should find a partner or partners to move up with to lessen the risk.

BattleBorn
10-21-2021, 05:59 PM
FB only would be much less risk than all sports being in the Big Sky. I do agree NDSU should find a partner or partners to move up with to lessen the risk.

I love/hate SDSU for being such a good rival and taking the jump with us the first time. Would be really curious to see how this move would play out in 10 years.

ByeSonBusiness
10-21-2021, 06:06 PM
I love/hate SDSU for being such a good rival and taking the jump with us the first time. Would be really curious to see how this move would play out in 10 years.

NDSU/SDSU would be ideal. Though UND/USD would be furious.

Kevin
10-21-2021, 06:07 PM

Good. Fuck und they can stay behind. Again.

23Bison
10-21-2021, 06:10 PM
Good. Fuck und they can stay behind. Again.

Someone get SDSU on the phone and tell them fucks, we’re moving. Then tell them we will let them know where to when we get there.

Edit: and fuck UND.

HerdBot
10-21-2021, 06:58 PM

UND and USD can't move up because their stadiums don't hold the minimum attendance requirements. You can't average 15K with max capacity of 12,283 or 10K in Vermillion.

The UNI dome can hit 17K with standing room

scottietohottie
10-21-2021, 06:59 PM
UND and USD can't move up because their stadiums don't hold the minimum attendance requirements. You can't average 15K with max capacity of 12,283 or 10K in Vermillion.

Perfect. I call you.

THEsocalledfan
10-21-2021, 07:07 PM
I very intentionally left out UND/USD for the reasons mentioned.....those reasons, plus fuck UND.

NDSUBowler
10-21-2021, 08:59 PM
I would be happy to make a move with SDSU to any conference together and keep the intense rivalry going.

Also, fuck UND

TAILG8R
10-21-2021, 09:44 PM
I would be happy to make a move with SDSU to any conference together and keep the intense rivalry going.

Also, fuck UND

I would too. Mostly because they are the only one worthy within the MVFC and imo if we move up with 3,4 or 5 other teams NDSU will be handcuffed to all those teams for many, many years to come. If you want NDSU to have a short stint at a bottom level G5 with the hope of proving themselves and moving into a higher level G5, moving with a bunch of regionals is not the path.

Professor Chaos
10-21-2021, 10:29 PM
I would too. Mostly because they are the only one worthy within the MVFC and imo if we move up with 3,4 or 5 other teams NDSU will be handcuffed to all those teams for many, many years to come. If you want NDSU to have a short stint at a bottom level G5 with the hope of proving themselves and moving into a higher level G5, moving with a bunch of regionals is not the path.
Why not? I would think it would easier for NDSU to move from the bottom tier of the G5 to the middle/upper tier of the G5 solo or with one other school than it would be to move from FCS to the bottom tier of the G5 solo or with one other school. I'm not saying the MVFC should move up as a whole but I think if a conference were willing to take NDSU/SDSU and the Montana schools and they all move FBS as a group that would be ideal.

Bisonbythelake
10-21-2021, 10:35 PM

This requirement was in the 00s and never enforced and won’t be now its when they were trying to get rid of the likes of Idaho and Rice. Hawaii’s Aloha Stadium was condemned. They play at an old track stadium that seats max 9000 if they can have fans which gatherings have been banned still by the Governor.

HerdBot
10-21-2021, 11:52 PM
This requirement was in the 00s and never enforced and won’t be now its when they were trying to get rid of the likes of Idaho and Rice. Hawaii’s Aloha Stadium was condemned. They play at an old track stadium that seats max 9000 if they can have fans which gatherings have been banned still by the Governor.

Big difference between giving exceptions, and not qualifying from the get go.

Bisonbythelake
10-22-2021, 01:09 AM
Big difference between giving exceptions, and not qualifying from the get go.

Exceptions have been and will be made not saying USD or UND deserve them just the fact no one enforced the rule then and they sure as hell won’t now.

UND and USD have more reasons to be rejected than just their seating.

CAS4127
10-22-2021, 01:16 AM
We have a lame-duck President right now (not dissing on Greanfield and his merganser issue). Horrible timing for that. I feel like we are gonna get left behind as a result. Not to mention ND politics.

TAILG8R
10-22-2021, 02:40 AM
Why not? I would think it would easier for NDSU to move from the bottom tier of the G5 to the middle/upper tier of the G5 solo or with one other school than it would be to move from FCS to the bottom tier of the G5 solo or with one other school. I'm not saying the MVFC should move up as a whole but I think if a conference were willing to take NDSU/SDSU and the Montana schools and they all move FBS as a group that would be ideal.

I think the "politics" of leaving that core group that moved up together would hold us down.

Hammerhead
10-22-2021, 01:56 PM

Then we could move our super stadium from Hillsboro to the ND/SD line on on I-29 and have all 4 schools use the same stadium. UND gets all of the Tuesday and Thursday night games. :)

Bisonator98
10-22-2021, 01:59 PM
Then we could move our super stadium from Hillsboro to the ND/SD line on on I-29 and have all 4 schools use the same stadium. UND gets all of the Tuesday and Thursday night games. :)

https://i2.wp.com/zackeeney.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/440723_orig.jpg?resize=500%2C281

Bisonator98
10-22-2021, 02:10 PM
It would be nice to make a move with SDSU but I'm not willing to wait for them if it means NDSU gets left out of the current realignment window. Ideally NDSU and SDSU would get FB only invites someplace so we can keep our other sports in the more regional Summit League. I'd also be all for us and other FCS schools that are interested in making a move to seek waivers to become Indy's with a scheduling alliance and eventually form our own FBS conference similar to the formation of the Great West Football Conference that we started when we made the FCS move.

Professor Chaos
10-22-2021, 02:11 PM
If you built it just north of Dakota Magic you could get a pretty hefty contribution to the constructions costs I bet...

Bisonator98
10-22-2021, 02:14 PM
If you built it just north of Dakota Magic you could get a pretty hefty contribution to the constructions costs I bet...

Ooh ooh we could call it the Dakota Dome and staff it with indigenous peoples too!*

*absolutely no racist intent with this post**
**even though we would be including those racists up north

23Bison
10-22-2021, 03:57 PM
AD ML had better be playing some solid chess back in his office with this FBS thing. I wouldn’t even be mad about the mind games as long as he does it. I’m so tired of NDSU not being a serious mention in any alignment scenarios and to top it all off, we get to watch JMU celebrate their upcoming move all while the FCS getting a lot weaker. “A lot” can’t be overstated.

Hammerhead
10-22-2021, 04:29 PM
Ooh ooh we could call it the Dakota Dome and staff it with indigenous peoples too!*

*absolutely no racist intent with this post**
**even though we would be including those racists up north

Call it the Siouxper dome and you'll get more money from the school up north.

Professorbum
10-22-2021, 05:37 PM
AD ML had better be playing some solid chess back in his office with this FBS thing. I wouldn’t even be mad about the mind games as long as he does it. I’m so tired of NDSU not being a serious mention in any alignment scenarios and to top it all off, we get to watch JMU celebrate their upcoming move all while the FCS getting a lot weaker. “A lot” can’t be overstated.

Where I'm at with FCS is that I'm just not interested in it. If NDSU stays FCS, it will be like wrestling or track for me. Of course I'll wish the team the very best and I'll be happy for them when I hear that they are successful. But I just won't be watching or following them. I've only watched NDSU football a little bit this season as it is. I can't help it...I'm not interested in FCS. I know this is blasphemy to many, but I don't actually think I'm alone.

NDSU is making a mistake if it doesn't find a way to move up. What's more, they should make their intentions known. Even if it takes a couple years, by publicly stating a desire and commitment to move up, then fans like me can watch the team in the knowledge they intend to be FBS someday and that every game is potential fodder for the audition reel.

Bisonbythelake
10-22-2021, 07:25 PM
Where I'm at with FCS is that I'm just not interested in it. If NDSU stays FCS, it will be like wrestling or track for me. Of course I'll wish the team the very best and I'll be happy for them when I hear that they are successful. But I just won't be watching or following them. I've only watched NDSU football a little bit this season as it is. I can't help it...I'm not interested in FCS. I know this is blasphemy to many, but I don't actually think I'm alone.

NDSU is making a mistake if it doesn't find a way to move up. What's more, they should make their intentions known. Even if it takes a couple years, by publicly stating a desire and commitment to move up, then fans like me can watch the team in the knowledge they intend to be FBS someday and that every game is potential fodder for the audition reel.

What if they have made their intentions known and there are no takers? The AAC offered 4 MW schools slots and they didn’t budge?? Even Boise after Harsin griped all year didn’t budge tells me MWC isnt going to change unless Boise gets a P5 spot or other teams bolt which I don’t see happening either.

That leaves a dying CUSA and the MAC. Not exactly great conferences but good news we easily are West Division champs for a long time. Sun Belt just would be a big step outside their foot print liken WVU to Big 12.

Independent seems like a stretch if Notre Dame is in a conference you know those days are numbered. BYU was begging P5 schools but didnt have any takers until the Big 12 got desperate. Liberty can make it work because they got boosters and don’t give a dangabout being a pariah until people forget who Falwell is and was ..and then I can see them joining an Va school flavored CUSA or maybe even AAC.

I think if CUSA or MAC does offer we might as well jump it’s time to forget about the MWC rather than be embarrassed when they offer UTEP and NMSU instead.

CUSA might evem let us bring one ugly sister like SDSU with us but I don’t think we work too hard to make it happen, kind of like when your ugly sister ask if you will set her up with one of your friends. Then maybe the Brookings crew can stop celebrating their spring runner up status like they achieved something more than ISUs 15 effort, and actually win a natty while we are in FBS.

23Bison
10-22-2021, 07:35 PM
Now this shit.
https://twitter.com/the_brakedown/status/1451628092393463818?s=21

TAILG8R
10-22-2021, 07:50 PM
Now this shit.
https://twitter.com/the_brakedown/status/1451628092393463818?s=21

We went from a few weeks ago thinking maybe JMU would get picked up because of their location and nothing else much would happen as far as FCS to FBS to CUSA getting raided and being desperate and now potentially a handful of FCS schools will move up and here we will sit. Watching schools much less deserving move on and continue to water down an already watery FCS.

NDSU92
10-22-2021, 07:52 PM
Now the teachers colleges are moving on while we sit here. How fun, wonder if the NSIC has any spots open

MNLonghorn10
10-22-2021, 07:58 PM
Incompetent leadership all around. Lakes has been clamoring for FBS since championship numero uno. He already knew ndsu was above the puds. Ndsu needed to be actively trying to follow app and GSU since 2012. But frisco was so much fun!

NDSU92
10-22-2021, 08:07 PM
Incompetent leadership all around. Lakes has been clamoring for FBS since championship numero uno. He already knew ndsu was above the puds. Ndsu needed to be actively trying to follow app and GSU since 2012. But frisco was so much fun!

It is going to be such a fucking troll job when a couple weeks from now Larsen says, oh yeah by the way we talked to some conferences and nothing came of it lol

Hammerhead
10-22-2021, 08:40 PM
We went from a few weeks ago thinking maybe JMU would get picked up because of their location and nothing else much would happen as far as FCS to FBS to CUSA getting raided and being desperate and now potentially a handful of FCS schools will move up and here we will sit. Watching schools much less deserving move on and continue to water down an already watery FCS.

I hope they got a call from NDSU.

"[Commissioner Judy MacLeod] is getting calls from every aspiring FCS program," a source told Dodd.

Professorbum
10-22-2021, 08:40 PM
It is going to be such a fucking troll job when a couple weeks from now Larsen says, oh yeah by the way we talked to some conferences and nothing came of it lol

Well, then he will be telling us that his stealth, never-go-public-with-FBS-aspirations-and-secretly-ask-for-falling-table-crumbs approach has failed. However, I'm guessing he didn't even try that approach.

El_Chapo
10-22-2021, 08:54 PM

It's so depressing, we should be Coastal Carolina by now.
quit with the "location" crap. for MWC or CUSA school it's literally 1 trip to Fargo every 2 years that is literally 1, 2 hours longer.
Get it done Matt Larson or Go back to Stony Brook. that's the ultimatum

DePereBisonFan
10-22-2021, 09:14 PM
It's so depressing, we should be Coastal Carolina by now.
quit with the "location" crap. for MWC or CUSA school it's literally 1 trip to Fargo every 2 years that is literally 1, 2 hours longer.
Get it done Matt Larson or Go back to Stony Brook. that's the ultimatum

Honestly I could see Conference USA grabbing all of the CAA and calling it good. They would be tight-knit geographically and super stable. Stony Brook will get there before NDSU, Sam.

HerdBot
10-22-2021, 09:28 PM
How about a Conference USA with Conference games for football only

Sam Houston
Jacksonville State
Central Arkansas
North Dakota State
South Dakota State,
Liberty,
New Mexico State
UTEP
FIU,
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky

Or maybe UConn or UMass

1 year ineligible for FCS Playoffs
1 year ineligible for FBS Bowl Games

Then we're good for the Bahamas Bowl

Good rivalries built besides SDSU with Sam Houston and Jacksonville State. It's got some really good long term potential for football.

56BISON73
10-22-2021, 09:35 PM

Sam Houston
Jacksonville State
Central Arkansas
North Dakota State
South Dakota State,
Liberty,
New Mexico State
UTEP
FIU,
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky

Frisco Bowl??? Wouldnt that be a hoot??????:nod:

NDSU92
10-22-2021, 09:38 PM

Sam Houston
Jacksonville State
Central Arkansas
North Dakota State
South Dakota State,
Liberty,
New Mexico State
UTEP
FIU,
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky

Or maybe UConn or UMass

Good rivalries built besides SDSU with Sam Houston and Jacksonville State. It's got some really good long term potential for football.

Take out the sleepy Dakota schools and you’re probably not far off from what it’ll look like

NDSU1980
10-22-2021, 09:38 PM
I'm curious, I would guess that some here have emailed Matt Larsen about FBS, probably more than once. Did anyone ever get a response back and what did he say? At least Gene Taylor always replied, even if it was just someone bitching about Snorty.

Professorbum
10-22-2021, 09:43 PM
I'm curious, I would guess that some here have emailed Matt Larsen about FBS, probably more than once. Did anyone ever get a response back and what did he say? At least Gene Taylor always replied, even if it was just someone bitching about Snorty.

Just heard him quoted on the radio saying something to the effect of we'd never hurt volleyball just to help football. Yeah... not looking good.

HerdBot
10-22-2021, 09:48 PM
Frisco Bowl??? Wouldnt that be a hoot??????:nod:

You then get to host the C-USA Championship game which is on CBS Sports Network . The team with the best record hosts.

DALLAS – Conference USA has announced the league’s bowl lineup that will span the six-year cycle from 2020-25. The conference is guaranteed seven bowl appearances in each year of the new cycle.

C-USA Bowl Lineup 2020-25 Release.(pdf)

“We are very pleased with our future bowl lineup,” said C-USA Commissioner Judy MacLeod. “Our teams will continue to have postseason opportunities in outstanding destinations that are very accessible to our schools and their fans. We are also excited to have additional flexibility to create great matchups.”

As part of the new bowl cycle, C-USA will annually send teams to the Bahamas Bowl against a Mid-American Conference opponent, and to the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, against a Sun Belt Conference school. The league has participated in all six Bahamas Bowls and has placed a team in the New Orleans Bowl 14 times in its first 18 years.

As previously announced, the league will continue its relationship with the Independence Bowl. C-USA is guaranteed to send a team to the Shreveport, Louisiana-based bowl in 2021 and 2025, while holding a secondary agreement with the bowl in the other years of the cycle.

C-USA will also continue its long-standing relationship with the Hawai’i Bowl. The league is set to participate in the Honolulu-based game in 2020, 2022 and 2024.

The conference’s remaining guaranteed selections in the cycle (either 4 or 5 per season) will include the LendingTree Bowl (Mobile, Alabama) and the following games which are owned and operated by ESPN Events:

1. Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)
2. TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
3. Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
4. Camellia Bowl (Montgomery, Alabama)
5. Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
6. Fenway Bowl (Boston, Massachusetts)
7. SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
8. Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
9. Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
10. Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
11. New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

“We are excited about extending our relationship with Conference USA,” said Pete Derzis, ESPN senior vice president of programming and ESPN Events. “We look forward to continuing to feature the conference’s top programs, student-athletes, coaches and fans in our bowl games across ESPN’s networks.”

C-USA’s 25th football season is scheduled to begin on Saturday, August 29. The league’s 16th annual football championship game is scheduled for Saturday, December 5.

HerdBot
10-22-2021, 10:00 PM

When JMU, Sam Houston, Central Arkansas, and Jacksonville State leave, we might as well rename it D2 and then rename D2 D3, and D3 becomes D4 and then NAIA becomes NA-WTF-IA

HerdBot
10-22-2021, 10:04 PM
Take out the sleepy Dakota schools and you’re probably not far off from what it’ll look like

You also got FBS independents... UMass and UConn if they want to stay that way

OrygunBison
10-22-2021, 10:05 PM
Just heard him quoted on the radio saying something to the effect of we'd never hurt volleyball just to help football. Yeah... not looking good.

Did you hear that coming out of his own mouth or was someone else paraphrasing?

Professorbum
10-22-2021, 10:19 PM
Did you hear that coming out of his own mouth or was someone else paraphrasing?

I'm paraphrasing what I heard ML himself say. And I'm not taking much liberty in that paraphrase. It was statement that we have to consider all sports when it comes to athletics decisions and, for as long as he's the AD, we're not going to hurt one sport in an effort to benefit another. He also made the explicit point that NDSU is not just about football.

NDSU92
10-22-2021, 10:25 PM
I'm paraphrasing what I heard ML himself say. And I'm not taking much liberty in that paraphrase. It was statement that we have to consider all sports when it comes to athletics decisions and, for as long as he's the AD, we're not going to hurt one sport in an effort to benefit another. He also made the explicit point that NDSU is not just about football.

Surely he doesn’t actually believe that, or believe that’s how businesses are run

I mean let’s just divvy up all budget equally amongst all programs. We don’t want our revenue sports having an unfair advantage. Investing in women’s golf will be just as good for the university as football, right?

TAILG8R
10-22-2021, 10:26 PM

This is very much true but when it comes to other sports(maybe not counting basketball) the vast majority of the other sports enjoy some of their support from fans who are football fans first. Lose the football fans and you run the risk of losing a considerable amount of support for your other programs imo.

HerdBot
10-22-2021, 10:27 PM

NDSU going FBS in football only would not hurt non olympic sports anyways. So the point is meaningless

HerdBot
10-22-2021, 10:32 PM

I think he was saying he wouldn't want to join a conference that drains travel costs when the Summit is really good us. Now football... that's totally different. All the games are flights anyways

OrygunBison
10-22-2021, 10:35 PM
NDSU going FBS in football only would not hurt non olympic sports anyways. So the point is meaningless

Shit, though. Regardless of the validity of the point, that statement signals his view of the matter. Not good. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt considering how these types of matters typically happen behind closed doors.

Fucking ugh.

OrygunBison
10-22-2021, 10:35 PM
I think he was saying he wouldn't want to join a conference that drains travel costs when the Summit is really good us. Now football... that's totally different. All the games are flights anyways

If that was the context, much better.

Professorbum
10-22-2021, 11:02 PM
If that was the context, much better.

Well, it was on the Brakedown. I tuned in about 4:20 or so and the ML audio was already running. And that's what I heard. I didn't catch what question ML was responding to to or what he might have said prior to saying those things. Then after the audio, Keith Brake says something like "so it wasn't a yes, but it wasn't a no." Then I had to step away and when I came back, they weren't talking about realignment. Once they get the show posted, I'll go back and listen. But that was the excerpt I heard.

NDSU92
10-22-2021, 11:04 PM
Shit, though. Regardless of the validity of the point, that statement signals his view of the matter. Not good. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt considering how these types of matters typically happen behind closed doors.

Fucking ugh.

That’s a foot in mouth moment. Of course unless the plan is to stay in the land of the puds.

Maybe it’s a good thing he doesn’t speak publicly on FBS lol

Jay
10-22-2021, 11:10 PM
Pete Thamel

Conference USA is actively pursuing multiple avenues to expand and stay afloat. Among the schools they have been engaged with are Sam Houston State, New Mexico State and Tarleton State. There’s an effort to fortify the Western flank of C-USA that got gutted by the AAC.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1451685076769587202?s=21

oldmantutters
10-22-2021, 11:14 PM
Pete Thamel

Conference USA is actively pursuing multiple avenues to expand and stay afloat. Among the schools they have been engaged with are Sam Houston State, New Mexico State and Tarleton State. There’s an effort to fortify the Western flank of C-USA that got gutted by the AAC.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1451685076769587202?s=21Tarleton State instead of NDSU?!? This is so fucked. NDSU leadership is fucking worthless

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

NDSU92
10-23-2021, 12:01 AM
Tarleton State instead of NDSU?!? This is so fucked. NDSU leadership is fucking worthless

Tarleton State. Tarleton. State.

NDSU92
10-23-2021, 12:07 AM
Btw this is exactly the situation why you would publicize that you’re interested in moving your AD up. When a conference is desperate and looking for someone that they’ve already thought about. Not a step down, just an option out there that they wouldn’t take otherwise.

Or I mean just be quiet and sit on the couch with popcorn.

scottietohottie
10-23-2021, 12:10 AM
Btw this is exactly the situation why you would publicize that you’re interested in moving your AD up. When a conference is desperate and looking for someone that they’ve already thought about. Not a step down, just an option out there that they wouldn’t take otherwise.

Or I mean just be quiet and sit on the couch with popcorn.

No kidding. Do nothing but put lakes on moderation. I'll be hanging out in the conspiracy thread from here on out. Holy the light bulb just turned on above my head. My eyes are open. Tony and Matt are in cahoots!!!!!!

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-23-2021, 12:15 AM
Tarleton State instead of NDSU?!? This is so fucked. NDSU leadership is fucking worthless

I’m sure the conference USA is worried about filling the conference up with full members. NDSU will still have a shot at a football only membership once everything settles. NDSU won’t get a full invite unless they bring local schools

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-23-2021, 12:21 AM
I’m sure the conference USA is worried about filling the conference up with full members. NDSU will still have a shot at a football only membership once everything settles. NDSU won’t get a full invite unless they bring local schools

No doubt
Who you got in mind there Brad?

23Bison
10-23-2021, 12:50 AM
Well they lost me at Tarleton. If people are going to be that fucking desperate then fuck em.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-23-2021, 12:55 AM
Well they lost me at Tarleton. If people are going to be that fucking desperate then fuck em.

Tarleton isn’t happening unless they suddenly have 15k + attendance if even 10k. They may have inquired but many teams ahead of them to get an invite.

Professorbum
10-23-2021, 12:57 AM
Well, it was on the Brakedown. I tuned in about 4:20 or so and the ML audio was already running. And that's what I heard. I didn't catch what question ML was responding to to or what he might have said prior to saying those things. Then after the audio, Keith Brake says something like "so it wasn't a yes, but it wasn't a no." Then I had to step away and when I came back, they weren't talking about realignment. Once they get the show posted, I'll go back and listen. But that was the excerpt I heard.

So I went back and listened to the Brakedown. I told you I joined the ML soundbite in progress. Good news - bad news. The good news is that the soundbite was from late September or early October. So he wasn't saying those things in response to what is happening today. The bad news is that I think I represented what he said accurately about football never being leveraged to the detriment of other sports, and what's more, he hasn't said anything about what is happening now. Meanwhile, Tarleton State and McNeese State are being mentioned. In any case, I wanted to make sure it I correct any mischaracterization that his quote is from today. Apparently it isn't. It is a few weeks old.

Professorbum
10-23-2021, 01:00 AM

Except they get playoff distributions that I'd like us to have, regardless of their membership...especially if they go to 12.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-23-2021, 01:01 AM
No doubt
Who you got in mind there Brad?

Look at the top FCS attendance schools 15k+ have a chance, 10k + are a big maybe but depends on how desperate they get. If McNeese or Sam Houston have a chance then many teams have a chance. Southern Utah would be a good addition as they have good attendance 17k+ but geographically they have the same issue as NDSU

Professorbum
10-23-2021, 01:13 AM

I went back and listened to it now that it’s posted. I think you’re right. He appears to be talking about the problem of an all-sports move. He doesn’t rule out in his statement the possibility of football only.

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-23-2021, 02:10 AM
Look at the top FCS attendance schools 15k+ have a chance, 10k + are a big maybe but depends on how desperate they get. If McNeese or Sam Houston have a chance then many teams have a chance. Southern Utah would be a good addition as they have good attendance 17k+ but geographically they have the same issue as NDSU

I want you to give me the specific names of the schools at the top of your list.

ndsubison1
10-23-2021, 02:27 AM
If CUSA invites us, do it. How will we ever make it to a Mountain West or Big 12 if you dont go?

NDSU1980
10-23-2021, 02:34 AM
If CUSA invites us, do it. How will we ever make it to a Mountain West or Big 12 if you dont go?

And if CUSA doesn't invite us we need to beg, plead, and whimper until they do invite us. CUSA is probably our best chance so do it.

The next thing with FCS is someone will propose to cut scholarships. And why not, they screwed D2 that way.

EC8CH
10-23-2021, 02:51 AM
And if CUSA doesn't invite us we need to beg, plead, and whimper until they do invite us. CUSA is probably our best chance so do it.

The next thing with FCS is someone will propose to cut scholarships. And why not, they screwed D2 that way.

I got these cheeseburgers man...

http://youtu.be/gvDBesUnpUE

23Bison
10-23-2021, 02:56 AM
Maybe we can take Tarleton St’s spot in the WAC when they leave. You know cause the WAC is pushing for FBS in the next 5 years or so. Then we’re in like Flin.

reformedUNDfan
10-23-2021, 08:06 AM

Sam Houston
Jacksonville State
Central Arkansas
North Dakota State
South Dakota State,
Liberty,
New Mexico State
UTEP
FIU,
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky

Or maybe UConn or UMass

Mines Better:

Sam Houston?
Jacksonville State
Central Arkansas
New Mexico State
UTEP
FIU
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky

Football Affilliate
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
UNI
ISU-R
SIU
MSU

North and South Division, MTSU and WKY play with the MVFC schools and MSU plays with the southerners. This gives a trip south for the fans every year, a trip to Kentucky/Tennessee every year, a game in Illinois every year, and either SDSU or UNI at home every year. Home game conference championship in the dome every other year. A home FCS game, 2 high-mid major home/homes, road game P5 team. Win em all and play a football game on New Years. Do it.

Bison 4 Life
10-23-2021, 01:31 PM
Mines Better:

Sam Houston?
Jacksonville State
Central Arkansas
New Mexico State
UTEP
FIU
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky

Football Affilliate
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
UNI
ISU-R
SIU
MSU

North and South Division, MTSU and WKY play with the MVFC schools and MSU plays with the southerners. This gives a trip south for the fans every year, a trip to Kentucky/Tennessee every year, a game in Illinois every year, and either SDSU or UNI at home every year. Home game conference championship in the dome every other year. A home FCS game, 2 high-mid major home/homes, road game P5 team. Win em all and play a football game on New Years. Do it.

Nobody else in the MVFC is remotely FBS worthy.

TAILG8R
10-23-2021, 02:10 PM
Nobody else in the MVFC is remotely FBS worthy.Agreed and it keeps getting floated on here to pull other MVFC schools with us. Ain't happening.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Gully
10-23-2021, 02:21 PM

Here is a tip for him then....hurting football hurts all of the other sports.

TAILG8R
10-23-2021, 03:45 PM
Here is a tip for him then....hurting football hurts all of the other sports.Exactly what I posted yesterday. Should be obvious.

dufferole
10-23-2021, 04:25 PM
If the Bison go FBS, how would that affect the TV contract?

CAS4127
10-23-2021, 05:24 PM

I agree. Get in somewhere, and go from there. Perfect fit and timing are not going to align for us.

ndsubison1
10-23-2021, 06:49 PM
If the Bison go FBS, how would that affect the TV contract?

No idea, would probably have to get reworked and national games take precedent

Professorbum
10-23-2021, 06:58 PM
Here is a tip for him then....hurting football hurts all of the other sports.

Plenty folks here think football is not hurt by staying in FCS. I think we are clearly at the point where the status quo equals regression, but obviously not everyone is convinced.

El_Chapo
10-23-2021, 07:16 PM
just heard kieth brake w Larson on drive in.

how does Keith not follow up the FBS question about other teams contacting CUSA and NOT ask Matt has HE or NDSU contact them?

are you serious??? how do you not.

pathetic non answers by Matt Larson.

I am more depressed than ever over this.

there will be 2500 empty seats at dome today and next week or fans interest keeps waning...

SIGGGHHHH

TAILG8R
10-23-2021, 08:36 PM
There is a reason they celebrate EVERY other sport and athlete at football games.

As CAS would say. Jus' sayin'.

oldmantutters
10-23-2021, 09:05 PM

how does Keith not follow up the FBS question about other teams contacting CUSA and NOT ask Matt has HE or NDSU contact them?

there will be 2500 empty seats at dome today and next week or fans interest keeps waning...

SIGGGHHHHChapo you know the answer. If NDSU would be in communication with CUSA it would be news.

taper
10-23-2021, 09:05 PM
Plenty folks here think football is not hurt by staying in FCS. I think we are clearly at the point where the status quo equals regression, but obviously not everyone is convinced.

NDSU is in an unfortunate spot in being too big for a shrinking FCS but still way too small to be successful in FBS. And yes, we are too small for the current FBS. Find a way to double the athletic budget and it's a different story. We're stuck making the least bad decision instead of the best.
Get SDSU and the Montanas to jump with us as a group is one of the very few practical FBS options. Going alone is program suicide.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-23-2021, 09:30 PM

SIGGGHHHH
Hard to say but I agree 100% how is the dome not full against a ranked opponent. If that isn’t a big game what really is….

norm4life
10-23-2021, 11:25 PM
I agree. Get in somewhere, and go from there. Perfect fit and timing are not going to align for us.

The Great West Football Conference wasn't a great option back then, but it was the best option available. Need this mentality of doing what it takes to get to FBS, otherwise this is going to be a long slow death ride in FCS.

StL Bison Fan
10-24-2021, 08:28 PM
Nobody else in the MVFC is remotely FBS worthy.

I couldnt care less about the other MVFC schools. Move with us and it’s the same stuff with a bigger price tag. One appeal to me for fbs is never having to go to brookings or grand forks.

El_Chapo
10-24-2021, 09:37 PM
NDSU should have 0 care about any of the Dakota schools, NDSU would absolutely kill it in recruiting. grabbing the 3-4 stars on them, then fighting with Gophers, Badgers, Iowa for 2-3-4 star kids.

NDSU charters to every football game , Ohio/Missouri is where we fly already so that's a moot point.

HerdBot
10-24-2021, 09:39 PM

SIGGGHHHH

When was this interview?

But consider this. Keith Brake and Andy Rieckhoff have been advocates for moving up