PDA

View Full Version : ISU-R Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Kevin
10-16-2021, 09:48 PM
Phone posting will add my thoughts later.

Prime Power
10-16-2021, 09:51 PM
Offense is almost getting pathetic.
Defense is almost getting epic.

HerdBot
10-16-2021, 09:51 PM
All things considered we won an ugly road conference game 20-0 and are 6-0

The entire defense fucks, am I right? Down 2 starting DEs and no problem. They get the game ball. Moestart, Derrit and Cox. Tutsie was great

Offense was awesome for a quarter and then things went to shit after the redzone pick.

It was everyone. Bad throws, passes bouncing off hands, bad play calling and bad execution. This was a combo between the UND game and the ISU playoff game where we scored 9 points. We really struggle vs 3-4 teams and against Illinois State in general. Gotta get this shit figured out.

We really need a Bell Cow and fullback for a game like this. Luepke was out but this is where we needed Tamarick Williams earlier

Probably QP2s best quarter (q1) but a bad finish. I won't put the inept offense all on him. I put this one more on the coaches who are really bad at situational play calling. Apparently Watson disappeared again for most of the game

We need to play better on offense to beat SDSU. We can get there. We were only 2 or 3 plays away from this game being a blowout.

DAS BISON
10-16-2021, 10:01 PM
Great wildcat offense NDSU is running.

MNLonghorn10
10-16-2021, 10:04 PM
So wday isn’t going to switch to Purdue/Iowa but keep that on wday xtra and keep abc on agweek tv???

Thank god I have an antenna

EC8CH
10-16-2021, 10:04 PM
Great wildcat offense NDSU is running.

QB run game isn't the problem. QB passing game is. Can't have those two picks.

NDSU92
10-16-2021, 10:06 PM
Offense is almost getting pathetic.
Defense is almost getting epic.

No defense is definitely epic

Kevin
10-16-2021, 10:06 PM

Qb run is fine. Calling it 50% of the time is not.

EC8CH
10-16-2021, 10:07 PM

Just keep him north and south.

DAS BISON
10-16-2021, 10:08 PM

20 plus carries a game by Quarterback. Ok 9!man football coach. Great wildcat offense they be running.

EC8CH
10-16-2021, 10:11 PM
20 plus carries a game by Quarterback. Ok 9!man football coach. Great wildcat offense they be running.

It's the QB we got this year. Better than last year

DAS BISON
10-16-2021, 10:14 PM
It's the QB we got this year. Better than last year

Not bashing QP. I’m only saying it’s an awesome wildcat hybrid offense.

HerdBot
10-16-2021, 10:15 PM

This game we needed to be under center more with a fullback and a big running back. The start was awesome but our inability to adjust is what hurt us. When they crash the middle, you need the running back to bounce it outside.. The play action down the field should have been there all day since they were crashing the middle on 1st and 2nd down

DAS BISON
10-16-2021, 10:18 PM
This game we needed to be under center more with a fullback and a big running back. The start was awesome but our inability to adjust is what hurt us. When they crash the middle, you need the running back to bounce it outside.. The play action down the field should have been there since all day since they were crashing the middle on 1st and 2nd down

Totally agree with your suggestion. This goes against OCs wildcat offense play call. Running QP as a running back who can marginally throw

HerdBot
10-16-2021, 10:24 PM
Totally agree with your suggestion. This goes against OCs wildcat offense play call. Running QP as a running back who can marginally throw

You need to run the QB but this was so often we became predictable. Our QB can throw but his strength is throwing it down field, not on 3rd and long timing routes across the middle. Play to his strengths. How about a roll out?

Kevin
10-16-2021, 10:33 PM
1) Nothing against Sean he might be a wizard but when the color analyst is predicting plays it'd not a good thing. Unless it's Tony Romo (who is a wizard). In this case it's just because 50% of our snaps are QB power. Which against ISU-R is fine but eventually it will beat us.
2) It would have beaten us vs JMU except Trey Lance is also a wizard.
3) Which brings me to my wizardly prediction: when we lose this year, in the fucking playoffs, it will be to our own coaches not the other team.
4) Defense looks good. I thought Cox was player of the game but I can see Eli getting it too he was running around like a young Kyle Emanuel. Another wizard who specializes in sack magic.
5) Not the kind of sack magic ECE8HE specializes in.
6) Price is electric why can't he run the jet sweeps.
7) Why didn't we run a jet sweep?
8) Oh right because QP can't do that and take the snap at the same time which would cause Roehl to encounter an error and shittyOC.exe will crash.
9) I'm never betting on this team again but I'll abuse the shit on the under every game except SDSU.
10) Kobe is not the answer at running back. Williams very well might be. But we'll never know because he rides the pine like ECHE8E in 8th grade.

23Bison
10-16-2021, 10:38 PM

Don’t talk down on 9 man ball! Plus I don’t remember a team in 9 man that ran the QB like that ever. RB with 30 carries is nine man ball. With that being said, Hanson was guessing what our offense was going to do before they snapped it so obviously the defense could do it as well. Was pretty frustrating to listen to.

Kevin
10-16-2021, 10:39 PM
Don’t talk down on 9 man ball! Plus I don’t remember a team in 9 man that ran the QB like that ever. RB with 30 carries is nine man ball. With that being said, Hanson was guessing what our offense was going to do before they snapped it so obviously the defense could do it as well. Was pretty frustrating to listen to.

LSU kid ran 36 times for like 285 today.

DAS BISON
10-16-2021, 10:41 PM
Defense: Is championship caliber
Offense: hybrid wildcat in the works
Season: a lot of meat grinder games with a loss in semi finals playoffs.

HerdBot
10-16-2021, 10:43 PM
1) Nothing against Sean he might be a wizard but when the color analyst is predicting plays it'd not a good thing. Unless it's Tony Romo (who is a wizard). In this case it's just because 50% of our snaps are QB power. Which against ISU-R is fine but eventually it will beat us.
2) It would have beaten us vs JMU except Trey Lance is also a wizard.
3) Which brings me to my wizardly prediction: when we lose this year, in the fucking playoffs, it will be to our own coaches not the other team.
4) Defense looks good. I thought Cox was player of the game but I can see Eli getting it too he was running around like a young Kyle Emanuel. Another wizard who specializes in sack magic.
5) Not the kind of sack magic ECE8HE specializes in.
6) Price is electric why can't he run the jet sweeps.
7) Why didn't we run a jet sweep?
8) Oh right because QP can't do that and take the snap at the same time which would cause Roehl to encounter an error and shittyOC.exe will crash.
9) I'm never betting on this team again but I'll abuse the shit on the under every game except SDSU.
10) Kobe is not the answer at running back. Williams very well might be. But we'll never know because he rides the pine like ECHE8E in 8th grade.

They end around and jet sweeps don't work when they run blitzed the entire game. It was either a run blitz or crashing the middle over and over. Just like UND did.

Do we no longer pull our Rams to get a running back outside with lead blockers? I really wanted to blow my brains out for most of the game

DAS BISON
10-16-2021, 10:45 PM

Then you haven’t watched much 9 man football. I watched Napoleon do it this year till their QB got hurt granted he threw a lot also but was their main rusher similar to the Bison play calling

And the reference I was making is 9 man is very predictable. Most time it’s our talent better than yours stop us and then when meet an team with equal talent they are stopped.

marenlee
10-16-2021, 10:50 PM
Why aren't we taking a couple deep shots per game with Watson and Sproles? I don't recall any today. Let Watson go up and try to catch a 50/50 ball.

scottietohottie
10-16-2021, 10:51 PM
Ndsu. Qb run u.

DAS BISON
10-16-2021, 10:56 PM
Ndsu. Qb run u.

Damn that’s awesome almost spit out some of my red beer

Hammerhead
10-16-2021, 10:57 PM
20-0 is a good win and we still haven’t shown our whole playbook on film. :biggrin:

THEsocalledfan
10-16-2021, 11:05 PM
I'm putting this all on me. I bet UNI +8 last week and ndsu -21. My bad.

HerdBot
10-16-2021, 11:07 PM
20-0 is a good win and we still haven’t shown our whole playbook on film. :biggrin:

We haven't even put our full running game on film. Every play is an end around, power, or a down block and either up the middle or off tackle.

THEsocalledfan
10-16-2021, 11:10 PM
Seriously, quincy should be playing under center a lot more.

td577
10-16-2021, 11:11 PM
They end around and jet sweeps don't work when they run blitzed the entire game. It was either a run blitz or crashing the middle over and over. Just like UND did.

Do we no longer pull our Rams to get a running back outside with lead blockers? I really wanted to blow my brains out for most of the gameIf you pull a lineman in a run blitz, it leaves a hole for the play to get blown up.

Beating any blitz isn't that hard. Audible hot route which wr runs away from safety. When the defense gets beat a couple times, they quit blitzing and take their beating straight up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bisonwinagn
10-16-2021, 11:11 PM
No real surprises. Offense needs to be more consistent and they will be fine. Hoping they keep getting better. Play calling still sucks for the most part so that could cost them regardless of executing better.

DAS BISON
10-16-2021, 11:15 PM

100% agree

23Bison
10-16-2021, 11:20 PM
Then you haven’t watched much 9 man football. I watched Napoleon do it this year till their QB got hurt granted he threw a lot also but was their main rusher similar to the Bison play calling

And the reference I was making is 9 man is very predictable. Most time it’s our talent better than yours stop us and then when meet an team with equal talent they are stopped.
Haven’t watched it much? I played it for 4 years and had an older brother who also played it. I guess I know nothing of 9 man ball. In those 8 years I never saw a QB run that much.
If that’s what it has turned into then that’s sad. It is/was a RB league.

HerdBot
10-16-2021, 11:20 PM
If you pull a lineman in a run blitz, it leaves a hole for the play to get blown up.

Beating any blitz isn't that hard. Audible hot route which wr runs away from safety. When the defense gets beat a couple times, they quit blitzing and take their beating straight up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Depends which side you run it to. If they crash the middle than they are in the backfield while we are up field. If they blitz from the outside than you got a 50/50 shot

garbageman
10-16-2021, 11:31 PM
Who bitches more NDSU after a win or the undies after they lose?

tony
10-16-2021, 11:34 PM

NDSU after a win by a mile. UND's best season since going DI would have NDSU fandom calling for heads to roll.

garbageman
10-16-2021, 11:35 PM
NDSU after a win by a mile.

I agree����

Kevin
10-16-2021, 11:40 PM
No ones bitching about the win.

They’re worrying about the next loss. Which right now feels inevitable (and avoidable) this year.

bison22
10-16-2021, 11:47 PM
6 and 0!!!

EC8CH
10-16-2021, 11:48 PM

Us. Not even close.

OrygunBison
10-16-2021, 11:57 PM

1988 season. Darwin Rutledge for Berthold. (He was from Carpio but went to Berthold in HS.) They didn't call it wildcat, just "Snap it to Darwin and hit the other guys until you hear the whistle."

CAS4127
10-16-2021, 11:57 PM
6 and 0!!!

Yep, and I think what we’ve seen so far is what we have to accept as what we will see going forward. We are who/what we are. We’ll see if it’s good enough. I don’t think we are going to see anything different with O going forward. Our D and special teams are Natty-worthy, our O is clearly not. 2 out of 3 might be enough, but I doubt it.

My biggest complaint is that “the fix” on O is not that difficult. TR is keeping his job because, and only because, we have better players than our 6 opponents so far. Better players may carry the day, but I doubt it.

123Gobison
10-17-2021, 12:00 AM

I wont fault him for this. The 1st was a laser thrown to the TE but the safety came from nowhere and made a play, had QP thrown a high rainbow pass like he usually does, it is a TD. The 2nd he threw that to Sproles with a some zip. It went through the hands of Sproles, Sproles should have caught it.

123Gobison
10-17-2021, 12:02 AM

We have seen this movie before with a previous OC, Tim Polasek. We know how this ends. Playoff time wheels are gonna come off the wagon very fast.

EC8CH
10-17-2021, 12:02 AM
I wont fault him for this. The 1st was a laser thrown to the TE but the safety came from nowhere and made a play, had QP thrown a high rainbow pass like he usually does, it is a TD. The 2nd he threw that to Sproles with a some zip. It went through the hands of Sproles, Sproles should have caught it.

Throw to Sproles was less than accurate. Also sailed plenty of balls 3 feet high. He's our guy, but is a work in progress. Hoping he continues to develop.

23Bison
10-17-2021, 12:05 AM
1988 season. Darwin Rutledge for Berthold. (He was from Carpio but went to Berthold in HS.) They didn't call it wildcat, just "Snap it to Darwin and hit the other guys until you hear the whistle."

I know Darwin. That’s two examples in over 30 years.

OrygunBison
10-17-2021, 12:06 AM
The Bison are 6-0, pitching a no-hitter today and fans are restless.

My son and I went to the Longhorns game against Oklahoma State today and watched them choke in a game that they dominated for most of the game. I think I was more upset than most of the Texas fans.

OrygunBison
10-17-2021, 12:08 AM
I know Darwin. That’s two examples in over 30 years.

Playing against him was like Rocky Balboa trying to catch the chicken.

semobison
10-17-2021, 12:12 AM
Yep, and I think what we’ve seen so far is what we have to accept as what we will see going forward. We are who/what we are. We’ll see if it’s good enough. I don’t think we are going to see anything different with O going forward. Our D and special teams are Natty-worthy, our O is clearly not. 2 out of 3 might be enough, but I doubt it.

My biggest complaint is that “the fix” on O is not that difficult. TR is keeping his job because, and only because, we have better players than our 6 opponents so far. Better players may carry the day, but I doubt it.

Agree with all of this. With the success we have had this last decade NDSU has put themselves in a great position to attract recruits. We have more talent and depth than any FCS team in the country. It showed today in our defensive line play. Who were some of those guys?

GreenfieldBison
10-17-2021, 12:15 AM

Maybe he’s farsighted without correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23Bison
10-17-2021, 12:17 AM
The thing with the offense that bothers people in my opinion is that we are definitely underperforming with the talent that we have on that side of the ball. A lot of it is on the OC. Some falls on the individual players.

HerdBot
10-17-2021, 12:19 AM

Bison fans clearly.

Are we too hard on the team? Probably. But as long as we peak late in the year and keep winning I'm cool with it

QP2 had some good quotes after the game

Patterson says to be patient.

"We're not even close to where we should be or where we will be," he said. "I feel like that's a scary thing for opposing teams and a good thing for us. When we start clicking and our defense keeps doing what they're doing, it'll be 70-0 games. It'll be scary. Period."

semobison
10-17-2021, 12:29 AM
C’mon man, we ain’t bitchin, this is constructive criticism!

CAS4127
10-17-2021, 12:37 AM
C’mon man, we ain’t bitchin, this is constructive criticism!

Truth—and I’m tired of the 3-4 D excuse. We’ve seen it for 10 years—meaning the 3-4

CAS4127
10-17-2021, 12:39 AM
Bison fans clearly.

Are we too hard on the team? Probably. But as long as we peak late in the year and keep winning I'm cool with it

QP2 had some good quotes after the game

Patterson says to be patient.

"We're not even close to where we should be or where we will be," he said. "I feel like that's a scary thing for opposing teams and a good thing for us. When we start clicking and our defense keeps doing what they're doing, it'll be 70-0 games. It'll be scary. Period."

That actually sounds like he is a better practice player than in-game player, and maybe he is that.

JCEE1990
10-17-2021, 12:45 AM

We need to find a better word. There is no more film!
:)

HerdBot
10-17-2021, 12:48 AM
That actually sounds like he is a better practice player than in-game player, and maybe he is that.

To me he looks like the best player on the team and is winning despite our offensive coordinator

He's really only had 1 fall camp and 6 games. He didn't even have a redshirt year just practice squad in the spring. I've seen improvements all over the place, especially running the football and feeling pressure. He's going to be one of the greats when he leaves here.

OrygunBison
10-17-2021, 12:52 AM
To me he looks like the best player on the team and is winning despite our offensive coordinator

He's really only had 1 fall camp and 6 games. He didn't even have a full redshirt year just practice squad. I've seen improvements all over the place, especially running the football and feeling pressure. He's going to be one of the greats when he leaves here

Totally agree. Our fan base is totally spoiled. This is a very good team.

HerdBot
10-17-2021, 12:56 AM
Totally agree. Our fan base is totally spoiled. This is a very good team.

When you see Trey Lance go 16 games without a pick, that's to be expected. That will never happen again in our lifetime. I can't even play a season of Madden and throw zero picks

People forget Easton was terrible throwing the ball his 1st 2 years and he had a full redshirt year. QP2 has 6 games and a covid redshirt year

Alsen
10-17-2021, 12:57 AM
The biggest issue is the OL. The OL was bad last spring and worse to start this year. Thank God they are starting to gel, and Westberg looks like he might just keep the starting center job. Cody Mauch is playing much, much better, and Cordell Volson is looking like he might get drafted next spring.

We are so spoiled. When was the last time we didn't have an NFL caliber OL guy or two on our OL? Looks like Dillon Radunz will start tomorrow. Joe Haeg is PFF's highest ranked OL for the Steelers. Billy Turner is still mauling. Zach Johnson is still on a practice squad I think. Tanner Volson was a great player and was in an NFL camp.

This OL is getting better but they are by no means the dominating force we are accustomed to. I think our coaches are going through an adjustment period. I know Entz has never seen an OL this weak since he has been here.

Put QP and the boys behind the OL that Lance played behind and it's a different story. This is why Kobe Johnson went from being the electric freshman to a RB who is now struggling.

I think we have some great young linemen who will give the Bison a dominating line again as soon as next year, but this year is going to continue to be a challenge, and every offensive player is affected by this enormous issue.

Be that as it may, I don't know if advancing to the playoffs is really possible when you have a pair of the best TE's in the country and you don't use them, and I could write an entire essay decrying all the rank stupidity being displayed by this coaching staff this year.

Isn't there anyone in administration or even football alumni who can get these guys ear and confront them about the decisions being made on offense?

Wally
10-17-2021, 01:06 AM
Championship level defense
Semifinalist level special teams
1st round level offense
First team out of the playoffs level coaching

This team is what it is. Is QP all of sudden a more accurate passer? Most times you would say it’s possible, if there are higher % routes in the gameplan, but he seems to be worse with those easier throws. Will TR figure anything out? Doubtful.

HerdBot
10-17-2021, 01:34 AM
Championship level defense
Semifinalist level special teams
1st round level offense
First team out of the playoffs level coaching

This team is what it is. Is QP all of sudden a more accurate passer? Most times you would say it’s possible, if there are higher % routes in the gameplan, but he seems to be worse with those easier throws. Will TR figure anything out? Doubtful.

Its complimentary football

Part of the reason our defense is great is because our offense chews up the clock and keeps them off the field. Today the defense helped the offense. The special teams helps both

We have the talent and the offense to win the National Championship. It's up to the coaches to use it correctly. Some of our studs only have 5 games left in their careers

BTW If you want to see other QBs... check out the guys who faced us. 5 sacks, no rushing yards, more picks than TDs

Professor Chaos
10-17-2021, 01:43 AM
Again, I readily admit I'm a rube but watching the talent go to waste on this offense is so frustrating! There are several things that seem obvious to my untrained eye:

1) Would it be so bad to throw it up to Watson, Gindorf, or Babicz in single coverage a few times? It seems like unless those guys are wide open Quincy just tucks it. Let your playmakers make plays... we saw it twice with ISUr's laughable pass offense that when they did that they got PI penalties. I'd guarantee more good things would happen than bad things if you just threw it at those guys if they're in single coverage.

2) We need more Tamerick Williams throughout the game and more Jalen Bussey on the edge as a change of pace. No offense to Kobe but he is not the type of back that should be doubling up those other two combined when when it comes to carries.

3) Wouldn't it make sense to throw a screen pass or 5 against a team that is blitzing on every single play?

Snowgoose
10-17-2021, 01:47 AM
Why can’t we simply run a play action pass to the TE over snd over against these blitzes. Or quickly leak the back out of the back field. Seems so simply but I am not an OC I guess.

Bison56
10-17-2021, 02:18 AM
Why can’t we simply run a play action pass to the TE over snd over against these blitzes. Or quickly leak the back out of the back field. Seems so simply but I am not an OC I guess.

If it doesnt involve running the QB up the middle it has no place in TR playbook.

NDSU92
10-17-2021, 02:28 AM
What are the odds we think TR is playing dumb? Saving the big stuff for SDSU with the idea that we don’t need it until then, and if we win that game then we’ll be home in the playoffs and SDSU will be on the road?

I mean look, someone is ALWAYS going to complain about playcalling. But right now it’s EVERYONE complaining about playcalling. Moved into a house today so I wasn’t paying attention between plays, but there was two or three times where I looked back up and thought I was watching a replay of the previous QB draw. This all after QP got blasted in the first half and was limping when I saw. What the heck is going on

CAS4127
10-17-2021, 02:34 AM
What are the odds we think TR is playing dumb? Saving the big stuff for SDSU with the idea that we don’t need it until then, and if we win that game then we’ll be home in the playoffs and SDSU will be on the road?

I mean look, someone is ALWAYS going to complain about playcalling. But right now it’s EVERYONE complaining about playcalling. Moved into a house today so I wasn’t paying attention between plays, but there was two or three times where I looked back up and thought I was watching a replay of the previous QB draw. This all after QP got blasted in the first half and was limping when I saw. What the heck is going on

The odds are so good, Kevin would bet on them<—-do the math there.

Professor Chaos
10-17-2021, 02:38 AM

If the bolded is true I worry about it more than I am comforted by it. I got the feeling this mentality (if it was the case) bit them in the ass in the spring if they had a grand scheme to continue trotting out Zeb Noland at QB so they could wait until the SDSU game to bust out Cam Miller and give him hardly any game reps to get ready for it. The whole notion that they're holding back something waiting for the "biggest game" just doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you want to put exotic plays/packages on tape that SDSU will have to prepare for? Couldn't you run some creative plays against the Illinois St's of the world to give your guys some game reps to make them more comfortable with those plays instead of waiting until the biggest game to unveil them? Or even better, couldn't you run a variation of those plays (what happened to delta formation???) against SDSU?

Personally I think we're giving them too much credit to say they're holding things back for SDSU. In 2019 they had the most unimaginative offensive game plan of the entire season against SDSU and that was with Trey Lance.

NDSU92
10-17-2021, 02:44 AM
If the bolded is true I worry about it more than I am comforted by it. I got the feeling this mentality (if it was the case) bit them in the ass in the spring if they had a grand scheme to continue trotting out Zeb Noland at QB so they could wait until the SDSU game to bust out Cam Miller and give him hardly any game reps to get ready for it. The whole notion that they're holding back something waiting for the "biggest game" just doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you want to put exotic plays/packages on tape that SDSU will have to prepare for? Couldn't you run some creative plays against the Illinois St's of the world to give your guys some game reps to make them more comfortable with those plays instead of waiting until the biggest game to unveil them? Or even better, couldn't you run a variation of those plays (what happened to delta formation???) against SDSU?

Personally I think we're giving them too much credit to say they're holding things back for SDSU. In 2019 they had the most unimaginative offensive game plan of the entire season against SDSU and that was with Trey Lance.

Yeah I don’t really buy it myself, just thinking of the possibilities. The part I don’t get is why Valpo was our most creatively called game of the season. Not talking about success, because that obviously had much more to do with who the opponent was, but I mean we went from not wanting to put stuff on tape, to putting everything on tape in a game we were going to win no matter what, back to wanting to put nothing on tape again.

Professor Chaos
10-17-2021, 02:54 AM
Yeah I don’t really buy it myself, just thinking of the possibilities. The part I don’t get is why Valpo was our most creatively called game of the season. Not talking about success, because that obviously had much more to do with who the opponent was, but I mean we went from not wanting to put stuff on tape, to putting everything on tape in a game we were going to win no matter what, back to wanting to put nothing on tape again.
I think it's because our OC goes into a shell calling plays when the chips are down. Maybe I'm being too hard on Roehl and maybe it's just that Quincy doesn't have the ability to consistently get first downs with his arm but when you can bank on a QB run on pretty much every 3rd down and medium or less (especially in the redzone) it goes beyond not wanting to put stuff on tape. With the way the Bison defense was playing against a toothless ISUr offense today once they got up by 2 scores it would've been a great opportunity against a solid defense for them to experiment with calling a game more like the opponent is Valpo... throw some trickeration in there and try to break some tendencies. You couldn't do any worse than 3 redzone possessions with zero points like they had in the 2nd/3rd quarters.

CAS4127
10-17-2021, 03:00 AM

Here’s the thing—if one has any legit common sense and something doesn’t feel right, go with conman sense.

Right now, our offense is non-sense. It really is.

HerdBot
10-17-2021, 03:14 AM

I only complained about Messingham one game in his time here. He ran the ball as much more more than TR but his run game was more explosive and creative.

Polasek and Vigen were brilliant at setting up plays. When we needed something big, they had perfect timed creative plays like the wheel route. (and it looked exactly the same) They just had a good feel for the game. They just knew the perfect time to run a screen or when to do playaction or a quick hitch. Roehl has some good games but the shitty ones are becoming too frequent. It all started late 2019.

NDSU92
10-17-2021, 03:24 AM
I only complained about Messingham one game in his time here. He ran the ball as much more more than TR but his run game was more explosive and creative.

Polasek and Vigen were brilliant at setting up plays. When we needed something big, they had perfect timed creative plays like the wheel route. (and it looked exactly the same) They just had a good feel for the game. They just knew the perfect time to run a screen or when to do playaction or a quick hitch. Roehl has some good games but the shitty ones are becoming too frequent. It all started late 2019.

Polasek and Roehl’s playcalling feel way too similar to me. I’m a layman and am certainly guilty of …enjoying… the game more than analyzing ever facet of it. I’m sure there are tons of layers to schemes and play design, etc. but at the end of the day it just seems a lot of sticking with inside runs when they aren’t working and banging your head against a wall.

NDSU92
10-17-2021, 03:26 AM

Honestly I was worried when Mess came in that he was going to be too creative. Favorite OC of all time, hands down. He blended creativity with hard nosed wear you out football. To me, Mess was a chef at a restaurant used to only having cooks

HerdBot
10-17-2021, 04:08 AM
Polasek and Roehl’s playcalling feel way too similar to me. I’m a layman and am certainly guilty of …enjoying… the game more than analyzing ever facet of it. I’m sure there are tons of layers to schemes and play design, etc. but at the end of the day it just seems a lot of sticking with inside runs when they aren’t working and banging your head against a wall.

Polasek was similar to Roehl but when he ran the same plays, it was all building up to a perfectly timed wheel route to Chase Morlock for an easy TD uncovered. He set them up. That's just one example I can think of

WeAreThePride
10-17-2021, 04:47 AM
This defense FUCKS.

I hope the Southpaw from Omaha lives up to the hype.

WeAreThePride
10-17-2021, 05:04 AM

The offense under Messingham was something to behold. I don't think we have any less talent across the board now than in '18, and of course we had Stick in his fourth year as a starter, but that offense was just brilliant. Man if only we had played an FBS game that year.

But in the calendar year 2021, our quarterbacks are struggling to maintain a 50% completion rate. That is not good enough, full stop.

FrozenTech
10-17-2021, 05:04 AM
I like Roehl. But he goes back to what works. Third and short? Gonnella is going down on first contact in the hole as often as not for whatever reason. You aren't running Kobe to an edge because they're crash blitzing and it's pretty clear he doesn't have whatever it is that let's a smaller guy drive through like we sometimes see. Williams isn't Lupke. Which isn't to say any of these dudes are bad.

There's a fix for this mess. It's the play action quick read pass that forces a defense to hold back on the run blitzes which let's our Oline do what it does.

And for the first time we saw the short to mid passing game do exactly that in the first quarter. It was flowing.

And then QP throws an INT and the wheels come off.

This offense has looked like crap since Trey left because Trey was a freak of nature which still relied too much on the QB run.

The early stick offense was similar. Zeb didn't work because Zeb couldn't run and we wouldn't run a constant 2 minute drill with him.

QP is a junior but he lacks the playtime of Stick or Brock or Carson and he's not a freak athlete. If he was a freshman you'd be giving him more space.

It's going to keep getting better. This game was better then the last two but they need to keep QP comfortable throwing and that's going to be a process this year. Roehl needs to find a few new wrinkles to get the ball to guys in space. He's proved he can do that - but part of the reason stuff like that seems to fall apart is our short to midrange threat is non-existent.

That is the key to fixing the Bison offense as much as Roehls play calling.

And that is all on execution by QB and his receivers.

WeAreThePride
10-17-2021, 05:07 AM
Oh, and the idea that we're playing our cards close to the chest, not putting anything on film?

I swear, we could get bounced in the first round of the playoffs and people would keep making the excuse that we were saving all the best plays for the chipper.

Whatever. 6-0, baby.

EC8CH
10-17-2021, 05:17 AM
This defense FUCKS.

I hope the Southpaw from Omaha lives up to the hype.

If calf size is any indication (and it TOTALLY is), the hype is real.

WeAreThePride
10-17-2021, 05:22 AM
How do they measure compared to Easton's?

EC8CH
10-17-2021, 05:30 AM
How do they measure compared to Easton's?

Mirror image.

123Gobison
10-17-2021, 05:32 AM
By 3rd Quarter, Phil Hansen and Jeff Culhane were calling plays which was exactly what Bison did on Offense. Then Phil said, gee if we can predict plays sitting here in the booth, opposing teams can easily figure Bison Offense. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

WeAreThePride
10-17-2021, 05:36 AM
By 3rd Quarter, Phil Hansen and Jeff Culhane were calling plays which was exactly what Bison did on Offense. Then Phil said, gee if we can predict plays sitting here in the booth, opposing teams can easily figure Bison Offense. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

We're damn lucky we have more talent than every team we've played so far.

WeAreThePride
10-17-2021, 05:37 AM
Mirror image.

:nod::nod::nod:

Professor Chaos
10-17-2021, 05:39 AM
Another issue I saw today was ball carrier vision... as in it's lacking. Check out this freeze from Quincy's 4th and 2 QB run in the 3rd:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51598218568_08e4879972_c.jpg

If he plants his left foot and brushes right off Volson's ass it's probably a touchdown. Instead he runs right into the crashing DE. There were other instances of this but this is the one that really stood out to me. I know it's a lot easier to see this in retrospect than if you have to make that decision in a split second in real time but it's an example of what looked like a terrible play call but would've worked if it had been executed a bit better.

Gully
10-17-2021, 12:12 PM

To me it almost feels like TR gets "tight" in his playcalling. If he feels we cannot lose, he's more open and tries more things. The tighter the game, the more conservative it feels. The UND game felt like one from the early 90s in terms of conservative play calling.

Gully
10-17-2021, 12:19 PM
I like Roehl. But he goes back to what works. Third and short? Gonnella is going down on first contact in the hole as often as not for whatever reason. You aren't running Kobe to an edge because they're crash blitzing and it's pretty clear he doesn't have whatever it is that let's a smaller guy drive through like we sometimes see. Williams isn't Lupke. Which isn't to say any of these dudes are bad.

There's a fix for this mess. It's the play action quick read pass that forces a defense to hold back on the run blitzes which let's our Oline do what it does.

And for the first time we saw the short to mid passing game do exactly that in the first quarter. It was flowing.

And then QP throws an INT and the wheels come off.

This offense has looked like crap since Trey left because Trey was a freak of nature which still relied too much on the QB run.

The early stick offense was similar. Zeb didn't work because Zeb couldn't run and we wouldn't run a constant 2 minute drill with him.

QP is a junior but he lacks the playtime of Stick or Brock or Carson and he's not a freak athlete. If he was a freshman you'd be giving him more space.

It's going to keep getting better. This game was better then the last two but they need to keep QP comfortable throwing and that's going to be a process this year. Roehl needs to find a few new wrinkles to get the ball to guys in space. He's proved he can do that - but part of the reason stuff like that seems to fall apart is our short to midrange threat is non-existent.

That is the key to fixing the Bison offense as much as Roehls play calling.

And that is all on execution by QB and his receivers.

Gonella is a great back, but he's hurt. Fine with playing him hurting if he can go, but we have so many good backs that he doesn't need that many carries when he's not 100%.

Gully
10-17-2021, 12:26 PM
The defense is looking to be an all time unit. Special teams have been solid. QP has shown some flashes....if we can get a bit more consistent in the passing game and minimize turnovers, this is going to be a great team. I think they need to open it up a little bit early in the game and give him some chances to throw when he doesn't absolutely have to. As others have said, we should be throwing one up to Watson and Gindorf 3-4 times a game if single covered. I understand Watson is probably receiving a lot of attention, but I can imagine they're doubling tight ends frequently.

scottietohottie
10-17-2021, 12:31 PM
To me it almost feels like TR gets "tight" in his playcalling. If he feels we cannot lose, he's more open and tries more things. The tighter the game, the more conservative it feels. The UND game felt like one from the early 90s in terms of conservative play calling.

When in doubt run the qb.

ZHerd
10-17-2021, 12:43 PM
The defense is looking to be an all time unit. Special teams have been solid. QP has shown some flashes....if we can get a bit more consistent in the passing game and minimize turnovers, this is going to be a great team. I think they need to open it up a little bit early in the game and give him some chances to throw when he doesn't absolutely have to. As others have said, we should be throwing one up to Watson and Gindorf 3-4 times a game if single covered. I understand Watson is probably receiving a lot of attention, but I can imagine they're doubling tight ends frequently.

Maybe. I like our defense but the only decent offense they have faced is UNI. Next week is an interesting game. It will be the best test for this D and a reality check before the Jacks.

Bison 4 Life
10-17-2021, 02:06 PM
if Cody Mauch wants to be a TE, they should let him. He one handed a ball thrown out of bounds like it was nothing in the 4th quarter.

TAILG8R
10-17-2021, 03:01 PM
if Cody Mauch wants to be a TE, they should let him. He one handed a ball thrown out of bounds like it was nothing in the 4th quarter.He would fit right in. Block, block, block and block again.

He would probably want to hang out on the sidelines more if he wanted to catch another ball. ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

THEsocalledfan
10-17-2021, 04:16 PM
BTW, put me in the camp the T Williams needs to play more. We need a guy who know how to hit the hole and make the right cut. To me, him and Bus are our best options right now with Gonnella not 100% and Hunter beat up.

Bisonbythelake
10-17-2021, 07:31 PM
ISU was no real threat but still…
Why does TR go back and back again to the QB Power to the point everyone knows it’s coming but he does not go back to other plays that could work like the RB angle routes are they only practiced with Kobe? And he drops them and then we never want to go back to the when we are face blitzes? Why not throw it to Dom or Bus?

No deep shots to Watson should be criminal. At least once a qtr, we should pa max orotect and throw it deep or do a Hitch N Go out of a gun. Why just run that TD pattern in the red zone why not run it on 3rd and medium? Doesn’t always have to be Watson either Sproles or Nelson can run that, a te could as well. If QP can’t throw a screen can we try a shovel? Or even a speed option called pitch away from the blitz?

If Luepke can return it’s time to put the te/fb thing to bed he’s our #1 tb and should carry the load. Williams isn’t that far behind and I thought it was a joke when Jirik said that Dom was out with cramps in the second half. No Way he’s a professional athlete he knows what to do to take care of himself and oh btw the athletic trainer is Jim Kramer that was an excuse his ankle got jacked in the UND game and he’s not 100%.

Also the OL misses Blazek, Larson is ok but I don’t think he lights a fire like Blazek did you need someone to chew their butts and fire them up and it can’t always be Cordell. I still think Westerberg is the full time center and we bump Sundell over to guard with Kubas going back to the rotation with LaCaliento.

Tut is flying but against a good rpo team he may run himself out of position and Hankey still misses too many tackles for me to consider a legit Butkus watch candidate he’s a good FCS mlb but he’s not even Nick or Grant worthy yet

A win is a win and I will be happy if we win the Title with a shut down defense and ok offense but there is too much talent that is leaving too many points out there right now.

scottietohottie
10-17-2021, 07:32 PM
ISU was no real threat but still…
Why does TR go back and back again to the QB Power to the point everyone knows it’s coming but he does not go back to other plays that could work like the RB angle routes are they only practiced with Kobe? And he drops them and then we never want to go back to the when we are face blitzes? Why not throw it to Dom or Bus?

No deep shots to Watson should be criminal. At least once a qtr, we should pa max orotect and throw it deep or do a Hitch N Go out of a gun. Why just run that TD pattern in the red zone why not run it on 3rd and medium? Doesn’t always have to be Watson either Sproles or Nelson can run that, a te could as well. If QP can’t throw a screen can we try a shovel? Or even a speed option called pitch away from the blitz?

If Luepke can return it’s time to put the te/fb thing to bed he’s our #1 tb and should carry the load. Williams isn’t that far behind and I thought it was a joke when Jirik said that Dom was out with cramps in the second half. No Way he’s a professional athlete he knows what to do to take care of himself and oh btw the athletic trainer is Jim Kramer that was an excuse his ankle got jacked in the UND game and he’s not 100%.

Also the OL misses Blazek, Larson is ok but I don’t think he lights a fire like Blazek did you need someone to chew their butts and fire them up and it can’t always be Cordell. I still think Westerberg is the full time center and we bump Sundell over to guard with Kubas going back to the rotation with LaCaliento.

Tut is flying but against a good rpo team he may run himself out of position and Hankey still misses too many tackles for me to consider a legit Butkus watch candidate he’s a good FCS mlb but he’s not even Nick or Grant worthy yet

A win is a win and I will be happy if we win the Title with a shut down defense and ok offense but there is too much talent that is leaving too many points out there right now.

He's setting up Stig.

FrozenTech
10-17-2021, 07:38 PM
There is not nearly enough purple in the world to cover the above post.

gavin2126
10-17-2021, 08:06 PM

I think this is just who we are again. After being spoiled by 2 years of Mess as OC & 1 with Lance at QB we're back doing what we did before that, keep things conservative while slowly sucking the life out of our opponents.

Bison 4 Life
10-17-2021, 08:25 PM
I think this is just who we are again. After being spoiled by 2 years of Mess as OC & 1 with Lance at QB we're back doing what we did before that, keep things conservative while slowly sucking the life out of our opponents.

yep, we won 3 championships with a west coast offense.

WeAreThePride
10-17-2021, 08:40 PM

But we're not running a west coast offense anymore. WCO doesn't work if you're only completing 55% and running your QB 15-20 times a game. WCO is all about high percentage throws, getting the Tight Ends involved heavily, and then taking shots over the top.

Bison 4 Life
10-17-2021, 09:02 PM
But we're not running a west coast offense anymore. WCO doesn't work if you're only completing 55% and running your QB 15-20 times a game. WCO is all about high percentage throws, getting the Tight Ends involved heavily, and then taking shots over the top.

I'm saying we don't need a big bombing 50 ppg offense.

bison22
10-17-2021, 09:18 PM
Teams are 0 and 5 the week after playing the Bison.

EC8CH
10-17-2021, 09:32 PM
Teams are 0 and 5 the week after playing the Bison.

Ooooph... That's a hangover.

Professor Chaos
10-17-2021, 10:40 PM
USD is about to get their third straight opponent immediately after that opponent played the Bison (they have Illinois St this week). They also get SDSU the week after the Dakota Marker game later this season.

Hopefully they left a nice tip for the MVFC schedule maker.

Kevin
10-18-2021, 01:04 AM
https://twitter.com/CoachDanCasey/status/1447380069664624645

Can someone smarter than me draw this up and put it in our playbook thread. TR needs to see it.

bison22
10-18-2021, 01:33 AM
USD is about to get their third straight opponent immediately after that opponent played the Bison (they have Illinois St this week). They also get SDSU the week after the Dakota Marker game later this season.

Hopefully they left a nice tip for the MVFC schedule maker.

Wow. This is actually pretty interesting. Very odd scheduling.

Snowgoose
10-18-2021, 01:55 AM

We are not running anything close to a west coast offense right now. West coast offense uses lots of slants, post patterns, TE and Rbs in the flats all on timing.

Bison17
10-19-2021, 12:08 AM
Hankey still misses too many tackles for me to consider a legit Butkus watch candidate he’s a good FCS mlb but he’s not even Nick or Grant worthy yet

With the exception of the Butkus award people nobody considers him a Butkus award candidate

WeAreThePride
10-19-2021, 12:13 AM
Hankey still misses too many tackles for me to consider a legit Butkus watch candidate he’s a good FCS mlb but he’s not even Nick or Grant worthy yet

With the exception of the Butkus award people nobody considers him a Butkus award candidate

Sorry he dumped your daughter.

steelbison
10-19-2021, 01:21 AM

Correct. Very slow of foot and still don’t understand why he’s in the game during obvious passing downs.

GreenfieldBison
10-19-2021, 01:36 AM
What is amazing to me is how many complete idiots are willing to go on record espousing the opinions that validate them as such.

Stunning actually. But, anonymity…

steelbison
10-19-2021, 01:55 AM
How far the mighty have fallen. Correct me if I’m wrong but the last three times against Illinois State. They have scored 3,3,0. Against us.

EC8CH
10-19-2021, 02:21 AM
How far the mighty have fallen. Correct me if I’m wrong but the last three times against Illinois State. They have scored 3,3,0. Against us.

They shouldn't have smashed that runner up trophy... Bad JuJu.

123Gobison
10-19-2021, 03:39 AM

One of those games was in the blizzard with 25mph wind.

gavin2126
10-19-2021, 04:11 AM
One of those games was in the blizzard with 25mph wind.

That was actually 4 games ago, I think they scored 7 that day

Professor Chaos
10-19-2021, 11:42 AM

That's true if we wipe the spring season from our memory banks (which I'm all for).

Hammerhead
10-19-2021, 07:42 PM
They shouldn't have smashed that runner up trophy... Bad JuJu.

They have a sign in the end zone listing conference championships, playoff appearances and a their "national runner-up" year.

Bison 4 Life
10-19-2021, 08:12 PM
They have a sign in the end zone listing conference championships, playoff appearances and a their "national runner-up" year.

it was adorable, had to take a picture of it.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/245443954_10103139900725909_6202893630352707242_n. jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=7iqnSWyNmaEAX_5_jBJ&_nc_oc=AQmgOkeQEVTmvwRfefT68m3Un-sF2Vs3y2ihScf0XzQHYuCnPaVvl9v_AL_ZD8cABkE&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=20946585c0824a4b4477f815a57ded2b&oe=61950386

EC8CH
10-19-2021, 08:17 PM

But were there tshirts made?

Kevin
10-19-2021, 08:36 PM
But were there tshirts made?

We all wondered what would happen when the participation trophy generation moved into marketing/middle management.

Dystopia.

Bisonbythelake
10-19-2021, 10:53 PM
it was adorable, had to take a picture of it.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/245443954_10103139900725909_6202893630352707242_n. jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=7iqnSWyNmaEAX_5_jBJ&_nc_oc=AQmgOkeQEVTmvwRfefT68m3Un-sF2Vs3y2ihScf0XzQHYuCnPaVvl9v_AL_ZD8cABkE&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=20946585c0824a4b4477f815a57ded2b&oe=61950386

Just sad really

EC8CH
10-19-2021, 11:12 PM
We all wondered what would happen when the participation trophy generation moved into marketing/middle management.

Dystopia.

Playoff Participation Purple Paint

StecMSU
10-20-2021, 12:22 AM

Dystopia.

This is what I don't get about NDSU fans. Making it all the way to the championship game is a pretty big deal at pretty much any FCS school. If the people in Normal think that is something to celebrate then I think that's cool. If MSU did the same thing, I would anticipate seeing a similar banner. NDSU with their support, institutional advantages, and huge budget is pretty much like Danny Almonte playing in the Little League World Series. At one point NDSU was the little engine that could type of deal coming up from D2 to succeed in FCS with the larger schools. That ain't the case nowadays, NDSU is the local neighborhood bully with built in advantages on everyone in the MVFC. Maybe not on SDSU or UND or USD I don't know the schools very well that don't play basketball in the MVC. You're the Yankees in a sea of Devil Ray teams. I don't begrudge that. The USMNT has huge advantages over pretty much everyone in CONCACAF and I was thrilled when went into Honduras and won. U-S-A, U-S-A, all day. But I ain't going to mock Panama for celebrating making the World Cup the last time. That's a great accomplishment for a country in that weight class so to say.

The second part to this is FCS football is very regional. It is important in Fargo, Brookings or whatever the South Dakota State place is called, I think Huntsville, TX maybe, and Harrisonburg, VA. With realignment happening again I see rumors of JMU to the Sun Belt or CUSA, I even see some talk of Sam Houston going to USA maybe, and to be honest Missouri State is exploring that possibility too. Why do I get the feeling that JMU, SHSU, and Missouri State will get to FBS before NDSU? I know that geography plays a role and there are other institutional factors but from what I can tell NDSU loves being the big fish in the small pond. And again I don't begrudge that. If you want to be Danny Almonte when you should be playing HS JV ball and you opt to dominate the 6th and 7th graders, that is fine. But when the benchwarmers on the Danny Almonte team start heckling the kids on the other team? That's too much for me. It's unsightly. It's garish. It's kind of disgusting when you think of it. I am envious as hell of the support NDSU has and the fans seem nice but I love it when the Bison lose. I can't root for the Yankees and their payroll when they play the Rays.

scottietohottie
10-20-2021, 12:27 AM
This is what I don't get about NDSU fans. Making it all the way to the championship game is a pretty big deal at pretty much any FCS school. If the people in Normal think that is something to celebrate then I think that's cool. If MSU did the same thing, I would anticipate seeing a similar banner. NDSU with their support, institutional advantages, and huge budget is pretty much like Danny Almonte playing in the Little League World Series. At one point NDSU was the little engine that could type of deal coming up from D2 to succeed in FCS with the larger schools. That ain't the case nowadays, NDSU is the local neighborhood bully with built in advantages on everyone in the MVFC. Maybe not on SDSU or UND or USD I don't know the schools very well that don't play basketball in the MVC. You're the Yankees in a sea of Devil Ray teams. I don't begrudge that. The USMNT has huge advantages over pretty much everyone in CONCACAF and I was thrilled when went into Honduras and won. U-S-A, U-S-A, all day. But I ain't going to mock Panama for celebrating making the World Cup the last time. That's a great accomplishment for a country in that weight class so to say.

The second part to this is FCS football is very regional. It is important in Fargo, Brookings or whatever the South Dakota State place is called, I think Huntsville, TX maybe, and Harrisonburg, VA. With realignment happening again I see rumors of JMU to the Sun Belt or CUSA, I even see some talk of Sam Houston going to USA maybe, and to be honest Missouri State is exploring that possibility too. Why do I get the feeling that JMU, SHSU, and Missouri State will get to FBS before NDSU? I know that geography plays a role and there are other institutional factors but from what I can tell NDSU loves being the big fish in the small pond. And again I don't begrudge that. If you want to be Danny Almonte when you should be playing HS JV ball and you opt to dominate the 6th and 7th graders, that is fine. But when the benchwarmers on the Danny Almonte team start heckling the kids on the other team? That's too much for me. It's unsightly. It's garish. It's kind of disgusting when you think of it. I am envious as hell of the support NDSU has and the fans seem nice but I love it when the Bison lose. I can't root for the Yankees and their payroll when they play the Rays.

I'm 38 and still play in the devils lake eagles basketball tournament 8th grade division every spring. We've never won. Got fifth one time. I know how you feel bud. Damn near did it 30 years in a row now eh.

CAS4127
10-20-2021, 12:58 AM

I don’t care what you think/feel, Bro (thanks Kevin).

Kevin
10-20-2021, 01:06 AM
I don’t care what you think/feel, Bro (thanks Kevin).

Ur welcome bro. Good post.

Kevin
10-20-2021, 01:09 AM

Lol I didn’t read any of that but I’m happy for u bro.

Or sorry. Depending.

WeAreThePride
10-20-2021, 01:18 AM

So many letters, words, and sentences, yet in this post you say nothing at all.

I admire your skill.

CAS4127
10-20-2021, 01:21 AM
So many letters, words, and sentences, yet in this post you say nothing at all.

I admire your skill.

The only thing defending that post is it’s length ... and maybe 1660 at some point.

westnodak93bison
10-20-2021, 01:33 AM
The only thing defending that post is it’s length ... and maybe 1660 at some point.So if everyone under the sun knows the d is run blitz heavy why are our backs not instructed or coached to bounce it outside? I just don't get it. Help me out here. I feel like I need to go on Dr. Phil to vent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Opie11
10-20-2021, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the well written post StecMSU. You were able to state what a lot of FCS fans likely feel in a clear, and as positive a way as possible given the situation. I've always hated the Yankees team, but respected almost all of their great players as individual players. It's just tiresome to see the same team win year after year when it's not "your" team. It at times feels like sometimes we as fans treat other FCS teams fans like the FBS schools we have played treated us. Dismissing us as Division II, no chance to win this game, don't have the caliber athletes we do, etc. There is no doubt in my mind that 100% of the fans from other FCS teams really enjoy seeing NDSU lose a game. And I can't blame them. I'm on the fence with wanting an FBS move because I love having a playoff system for the championship of whatever level we play at. I would love to play the games against FBS opponents all year, but getting sent to a minor bowl game as a reward for a good season doesn't seem like it would have the charm of going to playoff games to me. If there ever was the much discussed split of the FBS levels and a playoff system was started, for me, it would be a no brainer at that point to do everything possible to move up to that level. I have really enjoyed the games last spring and this fall a little more than some of the years where you expected the team to win nearly every game. It's exciting to sit down to watch a game and have real questions about whether the team will be able to put it together and come out with the W.

Edited to add: I see while I slowly typed out this response to your post, a good number of other Bison fans disagree! I guess it's just me that feels this way!

Hammerhead
10-20-2021, 03:14 AM
I’m also on the fence about going to the FBS and also tend to not like other dynasties like the Yankees, Patriots of recent years, or Alabama football.

Even when we were D-II, the Bison had more media coverage and fan support than most FCS teams.

BisonHorns
10-20-2021, 04:17 AM

Gee, it sucks to be you. Bugs Bunny used to say, "If you can't beat em, join em."

HerdBot
10-20-2021, 04:58 AM
I’m also on the fence about going to the FBS and also tend to not like other dynasties like the Yankees, Patriots of recent years, or Alabama football.

Even when we were D-II, the Bison had more media coverage and fan support than most FCS teams.

Locally we had more D2 coverage, but outside of North Dakota and Western Minnesota it was garbage. It was so bad, WDAY got the contract to broadcast the D2 National Championship. The last 2 years, the FBS National Championship was on ABC National TV. Think about how lowly D2 was

Our basketball team got more views on TNT when we played in the round of 32 than every D2 basketball game in history. Or how about playing Duke against Zion and leading for much or the 1st half?

StecMSU
10-20-2021, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the well written post StecMSU. You were able to state what a lot of FCS fans likely feel in a clear, and as positive a way as possible given the situation. I've always hated the Yankees team, but respected almost all of their great players as individual players. It's just tiresome to see the same team win year after year when it's not "your" team. It at times feels like sometimes we as fans treat other FCS teams fans like the FBS schools we have played treated us. Dismissing us as Division II, no chance to win this game, don't have the caliber athletes we do, etc. There is no doubt in my mind that 100% of the fans from other FCS teams really enjoy seeing NDSU lose a game. And I can't blame them. I'm on the fence with wanting an FBS move because I love having a playoff system for the championship of whatever level we play at. I would love to play the games against FBS opponents all year, but getting sent to a minor bowl game as a reward for a good season doesn't seem like it would have the charm of going to playoff games to me. If there ever was the much discussed split of the FBS levels and a playoff system was started, for me, it would be a no brainer at that point to do everything possible to move up to that level. I have really enjoyed the games last spring and this fall a little more than some of the years where you expected the team to win nearly every game. It's exciting to sit down to watch a game and have real questions about whether the team will be able to put it together and come out with the W.

Edited to add: I see while I slowly typed out this response to your post, a good number of other Bison fans disagree! I guess it's just me that feels this way!

I thank you for your earnest and genuine response. I don't think my post was particularly well written upon reflection but I appreciate your kindness. Making the move up to FBS is a very big decision and there are many, many variables. I was reading a post on the JMU board from a fan who said he was bored with all the winning in the CAA and if they didn't move up in this round of realignment, he was probably going to start checking out. But then if you move up and have a seemingly successful season, you get all these emails from your athletic department pleading with you to travel far to the south for the Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl or the TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl. I suppose that is success but it still feels weird.

CAS4127
10-20-2021, 11:56 PM
So if everyone under the sun knows the d is run blitz heavy why are our backs not instructed or coached to bounce it outside? I just don't get it. Help me out here. I feel like I need to go on Dr. Phil to vent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

After listening RB coach interview today, and after listening to Entz and TR the last few weeks, I’m convinced we are being way too analytical and technical on offense. Coaches need to just let players play a bit. Give players a chance to be athletic and make plays. IOW, let them do things for the reasons we recruited them.

Feels/seems like coaches are way to worried about little steps/techniques here and there rather than letting skill players play instinctively. For example, I can pretty much guarantee TW’s TD run last week was not designed. He took the handoff, instincts/vision told him to bounce outside left, and he did. I’m not endorsing TW as a feature back here (maybe he can be—IDK), but let players make plays rather than a hamstringing them pre-snap with a bunch of BS in their heads.

UpstateBison
10-21-2021, 12:10 AM
After listening RB coach interview today, and after listening to Entz and TR the last few weeks, I’m convinced we are being way too analytical and technical on offense. Coaches need to just let players play a bit. Give players a chance to be athletic and make plays. IOW, let them do things for the reasons we recruited them.

Feels/seems like coaches are way to worried about little steps/techniques here and there rather than letting skill players play instinctively. For example, I can pretty much guarantee TW’s TD run last week was not designed. He took the handoff, instincts/vision told him to bounce outside left, and he did. I’m not endorsing TW as a feature back here (maybe he can be—IDK), but let players make plays rather than a hamstringing them pre-snap with a bunch of BS in their heads.

Yep. Let athletes make plays.

Kevin
10-21-2021, 12:10 AM

Bro what analytics say call the same damn play every third down lol

CAS4127
10-21-2021, 01:00 AM

TR’s Bro Brother from a different mother.

Where we at on the radio show and Bro-sponsers, Bro?

Need-seed? Think Bro-Seed.

Kevin
10-21-2021, 01:26 AM
TR’s Bro Brother from a different mother.

Where we at on the radio show and Bro-sponsers, Bro?

Need-seed? Think Bro-Seed.

We’re good bro scotties meth barn bought both prerolls and I figured we’d give the firm the 30 second spot to add users to the bro action suit against tony the tankie.

CAS4127
10-21-2021, 01:38 AM
We’re good bro scotties meth barn bought both prerolls and I figured we’d give the firm the 30 second spot to add users to the bro action suit against tony the tankie.

Meanwhile, RBs get graded poorly by O-coaching staff for not stepping into the pile of shit that is caused by run-blitz. Follow the technique and metrics, do not sway from our coach-speak/mandates. If you make a great play/read, it’s despite of us coaches, and will not be rewarded with reps.

See that bench? Go sit on it after scoring 6 or running to daylight for 20. Unacceptable in our analytical/technical/bridled O. I mean, Roehl should have ran to sidelines and out of bounds on that swing pass/lateral throw against the Goofs, cuz it wasn’t designed to go for a long TD run.

Kevin
10-21-2021, 01:40 AM
Meanwhile, RBs get graded poorly by O-coaching staff for not stepping into the pile of shit that is caused by run-blitz. Follow the technique and metrics, do not sway from our coach-speak/mandates. If you make a great play/read, it’s despite of us coaches, and will not be rewarded with reps.

See that bench? Go sit on it after scoring 6 or running to daylight for 20. Unacceptable in our analytical/technical/bridled O. I mean, Roehl should have ran to sidelines and out of bounds on that swing pass/lateral throw against the Goofs, cuz it wasn’t designed to go for a long TD run.

Maybe we should sue him after we take Tony to the cleaners.

BisonNeil
10-21-2021, 02:00 AM

Polasuck was NEVER brilliant. For fucks sake he ran the jet sweep like 11 times at home against JMU in the semis in 2016. At his best he was adequate, at his worst he ran the same play over and over hoping for a different result. Didn’t happen against JMU, it wasn’t even close.

CAS4127
10-21-2021, 02:05 AM

You are not my audience, Bro.

Plus, Tony has more animals than money or football sense, and I’m more interested in the latter two.

runtheoption
10-21-2021, 02:21 AM

Yep. Let athletes make plays.

Culture over athletes, brah.

Kevin
10-21-2021, 02:22 AM
You are not my audience, Bro.

Plus, Tony has more animals than money or football sense, and I’m more interested in the latter two.

He deplatformed lakes bro.

Again.

scottietohottie
10-21-2021, 02:40 AM
That barn makes money brah.

NDSU92
10-21-2021, 03:02 AM
Polasuck was NEVER brilliant. For fucks sake he ran the jet sweep like 11 times at home against JMU in the semis in 2016. At his best he was adequate, at his worst he ran the same play over and over hoping for a different result. Didn’t happen against JMU, it wasn’t even close.

Lol remember that time we scored 3 points against UNI

56BISON73
10-21-2021, 03:10 AM

:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

56BISON73
10-21-2021, 03:12 AM
He deplatformed lakes bro.

Again.

He will just start a new account and alias. Wash rinse repeat.

Kevin
10-21-2021, 03:20 AM
Wash rinse repeat.

u sure we’re talking about the same guy bro

tony
10-21-2021, 03:36 PM

Wait, what? :)

WeAreThePride
10-22-2021, 01:23 AM
Is Lakes banned???

TAILG8R
10-22-2021, 02:42 AM
Is Lakes banned???

It's a Halloween Miracle Charlie Brown!

Kevin
10-22-2021, 02:46 AM
Wait, what? :)

We’re suing u bro. If u ever leave ur house so Scottie can serve you.

Hammerhead
10-22-2021, 01:43 PM
Is Lakes banned???

He repped one of my posts a few days ago that showed up in my notifications and added a comment about being in probation or something like that.

scottietohottie
10-22-2021, 01:49 PM
We’re suing u bro. If u ever leave ur house so Scottie can serve you.

I just realized I'm supposed to give him the sheet of paper and not dance in front of him. He still might get double served.

You just got served bro.

Gully
10-22-2021, 05:39 PM
I feel like I left earth for a year and just returned to BV....I have no earthly idea what has transpired :)