PDA

View Full Version : New user approvals

admin
10-06-2021, 03:43 PM
There were 100s of new users in the "awaiting approval" queue... and it's going to take me some time (because I can only check so many IP addresses per hour) to work through them all.

Anyway, please be polite to the new posters, and (as usual) I apologize for the delay.

OrygunBison
10-06-2021, 03:48 PM
Uh...I don't think we need any "new users" as you call them. In fact, we don't need any outside influence at all. We already have everything figured out.

TransAmBison
10-06-2021, 04:47 PM
I remember a new user that came on Bisonville right before Homecoming a number of years back. Made for quite the fireworks.

Bisonbythelake
10-06-2021, 05:38 PM
I remember a new user that came on Bisonville right before Homecoming a number of years back. Made for quite the fireworks.

Thank you Admin! I promise I will be nice since it appears you do have it all figured out and I am a BISON fan!

Hammerhead
10-06-2021, 06:07 PM
Probably f'hawker fans who wanted to talk smack before the game.

TAILG8R
10-06-2021, 09:43 PM
Probably f'hawker fans who wanted to talk smack before the game.

He said several hundred not several ...

Kevin
10-06-2021, 09:45 PM
we're getting new bros, bros?

BisonHorns
10-06-2021, 09:48 PM
Make sure you mention the dues, and that there are no math or spelling expectations.

BISONBRI53
10-06-2021, 10:30 PM
I hope it is the people from FB who keep telling people to be nice... WRONG place to come if that's who it is.

admin
10-06-2021, 11:47 PM
Done! I kept track of the locations for the last 35 IP address locations for "users waiting for confirmation":

Anastasiyevka (2)
Yaounde
Paris
Amsterdam
Kaluga
Los Angeles
Waltham
Hanoi
Grand Forks (approved)
Montreal
Cebu City
Karachi
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Fargo (approved)
Sargodha
Mumbai
Ahmedabad
Fargo (approved)
Tokyo
Phoenix
Fort Collins (approved)
Noida
Tra Vinh
Hanoi
Fargo (approved)
Perth AUS (approved - but I have my doubts)
Olongapo
Hai Phong
Paris
Basi
Istanbul
Saint Petersburg
Plymouth (approved)

I don't reject new users just based on their location, but if their username is gibberish, their username has been registered on a lot of boards recently, if the ISP sounds like it'd be one a spammer would like, and/or the IP address shows up as being flagged as a spammer... it's very time consuming which is all the more reason I should stay on top of the user registrations.

WeAreThePride
10-07-2021, 12:01 AM
I'd put my bet on a rival team setting up a spam system. I'm not a tech wizard, but probably not difficult to generate a great many fake accounts from randomized locations behind a VPN?

Seems odd though, you'd think they would rather spam with ND and MN towns. Maybe VPNs don't work that way, idk.

EDIT not a rival team, a fan of a rival team. My bad.

ZHerd
10-07-2021, 12:02 AM
Awesome, I’ve never conversed with a bot from Tra Vinh…maybe

tony
10-07-2021, 12:05 AM
I'd put my bet on a rival team setting up a spam system. I'm not a tech wizard, but probably not difficult to generate a great many fake accounts from randomized locations behind a VPN?

Seems odd though, you'd think they would rather spam with ND and MN towns. Maybe VPNs don't work that way, idk.

I believe that spammers start by getting a list of vbulletin site addresses. Then they try to register all of them because the script would be the same. Apparently, when they buy these lists, they also get the answers to each site's security question... I probably should change that to a math word problem.

El_Chapo
10-07-2021, 12:11 AM
did PrairieChickenBison make the cut??

admin
10-07-2021, 12:16 AM
did PrairieChickenBison make the cut??

Normally, I'd approve a user name like that right away without checking IPs and stuff... but I don't see the user name so they might need to retry.

StL Bison Fan
10-07-2021, 12:23 AM
Done! I kept track of the locations for the last 35 IP address locations for "users waiting for confirmation":

Anastasiyevka (2)
Yaounde
Paris
Amsterdam
Kaluga
Los Angeles
Waltham
Hanoi
Grand Forks (approved)
Montreal
Cebu City
Karachi
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Fargo (approved)
Sargodha
Mumbai
Ahmedabad
Fargo (approved)
Tokyo
Phoenix
Fort Collins (approved)
Noida
Tra Vinh
Hanoi
Fargo (approved)
Perth AUS (approved - but I have my doubts)
Olongapo
Hai Phong
Paris
Basi
Istanbul
Saint Petersburg
Plymouth (approved)

I don't reject new users just based on their location, but if their username is gibberish, their username has been registered on a lot of boards recently, if the ISP sounds like it'd be one a spammer would like, and/or the IP address shows up as being flagged as a spammer... it's very time consuming which is all the more reason I should stay on top of the user registrations.
Spouse grew up in cebu. Suspicious

VirginiaBison
10-07-2021, 01:13 AM
Done! I kept track of the locations for the last 35 IP address locations for "users waiting for confirmation": ..... I don't reject new users just based on their location, but if their username is gibberish, their username has been registered on a lot of boards recently, if the ISP sounds like it'd be one a spammer would like, and/or the IP address shows up as being flagged as a spammer... it's very time consuming which is all the more reason I should stay on top of the user registrations.

Yes it is. I know from experience. Thank you for what you do!

BisonHorns
10-07-2021, 01:39 AM
Spouse grew up in cebu. Suspicious

I would have approved them all except one.
Grand Forks

WeAreThePride
10-07-2021, 01:44 AM
I believe that spammers start by getting a list of vbulletin site addresses. Then they try to register all of them because the script would be the same. Apparently, when they buy these lists, they also get the answers to each site's security question... I probably should change that to a math word problem.

Ah, that makes sense. Don't you guys have a list of a few dozen security questions? I always assumed sites would do that and pick one at random.

El_Chapo
10-07-2021, 02:11 AM
Normally, I'd approve a user name like that right away without checking IPs and stuff... but I don't see the user name so they might need to retry.9725

Bisonbythelake
10-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Make sure you mention the dues, and that there are no math or spelling expectations.

No math or spelling good I will fit right in.. can I pay my dues with ITunes and Amazon gift cards? they keep calling and telling me that’s how I can pay my taxes so I have lots of those sitting around.

MankatoBison
10-07-2021, 04:09 PM

Its bold that you think that there are any fans of other FCS football teams.

Seems like a pretty big stretch to me.

Not purple whatsoever

Kevin
10-07-2021, 04:25 PM

Nah bro it's just constant. I set up a vbulletin and a phpbb for customers last year and within hours they were flooded with spam accounts. If the account is approved they auto post about dick pills and insurance.

Which might be an upgrade from the SHIT that tab posts these days.

NDSUBowler
10-07-2021, 04:31 PM
Thank you Admin! I promise I will be nice since it appears you do have it all figured out and I am a BISON fan!

This is exactly what a spy WOULD say.

Kevin
10-07-2021, 04:39 PM
No math or spelling good I will fit right in.. can I pay my dues with ITunes and Amazon gift cards? they keep calling and telling me that’s how I can pay my taxes so I have lots of those sitting around.

I demand this guy be renamed El Escobar immediately.

Or does he have to banned 30 times first for continuity purposes?

Bisonbythelake
10-07-2021, 05:22 PM
I demand this guy be renamed El Escobar immediately.

Or does he have to banned 30 times first for continuity purposes?

For the record I did try to submit El Hipopotamo De Cocaina or El Hipo for short but I was told a big girl down in Brookings already had that…

DakotaOkie
10-07-2021, 06:09 PM
Ah, come on...you don't believe there are two Bison fans in Anastasiyevka? The Bison are big time!