PDA

View Full Version : Moss to OAK

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Agent: Vikings trade Moss to Raiders

By SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

The Vikings have agreed to trade Randy Moss to the Oakland Raiders for starting linebacker Napoleon Harris, the seventh overall pick in the upcoming draft and a 2005 late-round pick . Trades can be worked out although not announced until next month, and Moss' agent, Dante DiTrapano, told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday that the deal is done.

"Nothing is official until March 2," DiTrapano said. "But don’t be surprised if Randy Moss is wearing the Silver and Black this upcoming season."

Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski would only say, "We've had some discussions with them (the Raiders), but there is nothing to announce."

Despite repeated denials, the Vikings have been shopping Moss for months, and they found a willing suitor in Al Davis, a maverick owner who embraces controversial players.

"In speaking with Moss, although he has a lot of ties to Minnesota and did not particularly want to be traded, he’s very excited with the possibility of playing for Al Davis and being a part of the Raider tradition," DiTrapano said. "The Raiders have vowed to use Randy’s talents the way they should be used, and that’s to throw the ball vertically down the field.

"Randy’s desire to win a Super Bowl is enhanced with a move to a team like the Raiders, because the Minnesota Vikings seem to be in a constant rebuilding mode."

The Vikings will wind up with the seventh overall pick for the third time in the last four years. In 2002, they drafted left tackle Bryant McKinnie, a starter. Two years ago, they had the seventh pick but a botched trade with Baltimore resulted in them picking two spots later. Still, they landed the player they coveted, defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who has emerged into a Pro Bowl player.

The Vikings have the 18th pick in this year’s draft.

With the departure of Moss, the Vikings' top receiver is third-year receiver Nate Burleson. But the Vikings are expected to bolster that group via the draft or free agency. With a weak free agent class headlined by Pittsburgh's Plaxico Burress, the Vikings’ options could increase with potential salary cap casualties such as Isaac Bruce, Muhsin Muhammad and Derrick Mason.

The NFL Draft in April also offers two promising players, Michigan's Braylon Edwards and Southern Cal's Mike Williams.

Harris was selected by the Raiders with the 23rd pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, and he has recorded 249 tackles, 2.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, and five passes defended over the past three seasons. He is 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, and he can play inside and outside.

The Raiders will assume Moss’ $7.25 million base salary for next season while the Vikings realize a cap savings of nearly $2 million. Four seasons remain on Moss’ eight-year $75 million contract.

Sean Jensen covers the Vikings and the NFL. He can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

jjbluecw
02-23-2005, 10:21 PM
As a Raiders fan I am intrigued but not sure this is a good move. The number 7 overall pick was a lot to give up but Harris isn't much of an improvement to current LB's. He is a consistent starter at best. Where do the Vikes go from here for a WR?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I would think Edwards or Williams in the draft or maybe go after Mushin Muh. or Mason

roadwarrior
02-23-2005, 10:25 PM
What does Moss have to do with BISON football ???

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-23-2005, 10:25 PM
As was shown by the "O" when Moss was out this year he makes it go. I would think Culp. will have a suspect year without him, but we'll see if he is really as good as everyone says he is.
Hopefully they take the extra money and go after a defensive player but chances are they won't

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-23-2005, 10:27 PM
ROADWARRIOR Nothing... but then again neither does of these posts!

Woden
02-23-2005, 10:43 PM
As a Raiders fan I am intrigued but not sure this is a good move. The number 7 overall pick was a lot to give up but Harris isn't much of an improvement to current LB's. He is a consistent starter at best. Where do the Vikes go from here for a WR?

I'd be willing to bet that the Vikings take Williams with the 7th pick. Yeah, I don't think they are improving their Linebackers at all with Harris. I don't see him being any better than Henderson, but I could be wrong. I think the Vikings were just fed up with Moss' antics and wanted him out no matter what.

Rodentia
02-23-2005, 10:48 PM
I think the Vikings traded him too cheaply. If they get an improved defense, it will be worthwhile. Offense can't be expected to do it all. If the defense improves, the offense will not need to be as good - good defense makes an offense look better.

WYOBISONMAN
02-23-2005, 10:49 PM
I kind of have mixed emotions on this one......if Moss would just give 100% all the time..... :-/

Herd_Mentality
02-23-2005, 11:22 PM
I agree that the Raiders have to love how cheaply they are getting Moss. Porter wants out and now they're replacing him with a proven WR instead of a rookie. I wish the Vikes could've snagged Woodson or Porter in this deal instead of a subpar LB. I'm hoping they have some sort of master plan to trade some RB's for defensive talent or something.

jjbluecw
02-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Raiders just signed Porter to a large contract yesterday. If the vikes can select another outstanding defender with the number 7 pick like they did with Kevin Williams they will be just fine.

greenandgold01
02-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Good riddance.

The Viks can win without him.

BisonMav
02-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Good riddance.

The Viks can win without him.

Why are the Packer fans happy about it?
I can think of 1, 2, 3, 4 reasons ;)

greenandgold01
02-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Why are the Packer fans happy about it?
I can think of 1, 2, 3, 4 reasons ;)

Hell, I can think of 30 reasons! Mpls. traffic cops not included!

;D ;D ;D

thundar94
02-24-2005, 02:45 AM
Maybe the Vikes can sign White after next year as a free agent ;D we all know they need someone to depend on to make a catch 10 yards down field.

thundar94
02-24-2005, 02:46 AM
That was suppose to be sarcasm pointed toward the vikings, not Travis White, Travis is one heck of a reciever for us!