PDA

View Full Version : Crazy calls or non calls by officials

56BISON73
09-03-2021, 11:27 PM
Last nights Boise-UCF game.

It was Boise last possession. It was 3rd and 4. OB rolls out. Runs past the LOS by 2 yards. Then passes the ball of which is intercepted as he threw in to traffic..

Since he ran past the LOS why wasnt their a flag for illegal pass?

Kevin
09-03-2021, 11:41 PM
Ohio state no targeting call in the late 4th.

SafeTeeJ
09-03-2021, 11:55 PM

Refs were so blind they couldn’t even see it in slow-mo review of the play

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 12:05 AM

Plus the talking heads didnt even catch it.

My wife did. :nod:

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 12:06 AM

Good football play. What was the defender supposed to do? Not tackle him?

GreenfieldBison
09-04-2021, 12:15 AM

Bad read 56. I disagree. If he had come in with arms wide ready to wrap and put his face guard in rather than the crown I would agree. But he tried to drill his crown in. No wrap attempt. And he knocked the player out cold.

Fuck him. Flag him. Suspend him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin
09-04-2021, 12:16 AM

It preserved the cover on the +13.5 spread. I hope someone looks into that.

Kevin
09-04-2021, 12:16 AM

Not murder him is all I ask.

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 12:18 AM
It preserved the cover on the +13.5 spread. I hope someone looks into that.

The QB really dicked up also. All he had to do was keep running. He would have gotten the 1st down or it would have been 4th and short.

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 12:22 AM

Wasnt contact initiated with the left shoulder. Then the left side of his helmet came in contact with the rt side of the receivers helmet?

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 12:38 AM
Back to the non call.

So what should have been the correct call??

Illegal forward pass. What ever yards penalty. Loss of down. No interception. 4th down?

Wheres Indy????

Kevin
09-04-2021, 12:48 AM
Back to the non call.

Illegal forward pass. What ever yards penalty. Loss of down. No interception. 4th down?

Wheres Indy????

I’d assume you could just decline the penalty and take the ball.

EC8CH
09-04-2021, 12:54 AM

Pussification.

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 12:56 AM
I’d assume you could just decline the penalty and take the ball.

It would still be 4th down.

gavin2126
09-04-2021, 01:07 AM
It would still be 4th down.

You said there was an interception on the play. Defense could decline the penalty and take the ball then I would think.

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 01:16 AM
You said there was an interception on the play. Defense could decline the penalty and take the ball then I would think.

Yep.............

Twincitybizon
09-04-2021, 01:18 AM
Yep.............

But does the pass even happen? It's illegal??

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 01:23 AM

If it was a TD it doesnt happen. So does the interception?

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 01:24 AM
Funny call in the Jayhawk Yote game

False Start---"Everyone but the center"

gavin2126
09-04-2021, 01:25 AM
If it was a TD it doesnt happen. So does the interception?

I think because it's a live ball penalty the defense has the option to take the result of the play or the penalty. Just like they could decline a holding call if they intercept the pass they could decline this penalty as well.

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 01:27 AM
I think because it's a live ball penalty the defense has the option to take the result of the play or the penalty. Just like they could decline a holding call if they intercept the pass they could decline this penalty as well.

That would make sense.

23Bison
09-04-2021, 01:32 AM

Looks like he ear holed him to me. Crown of the helmet to the side for the head. I thought it was pretty obvious considering how he was out before he hit the ground. And this was the only time that I have ever rooted for Minn.

Professor Chaos
09-04-2021, 02:16 AM
Back to the non call.

Wheres Indy????
I'd need Indy to confirm but I know illegal forward passes are sometimes misinterpreted as being a penalty when it isn't since I believe it requires the QBs entire body to be across the LOS. So the ball could be released clearly beyond the LOS but it would still be legal if the QB's back foot was still behind or on the LOS.

EDIT: Just saw the video and his entire body is definitely across the LOS: https://youtu.be/rVvbpdFtYZc?t=767

23Bison
09-04-2021, 03:31 AM
Correct, if any part of the body is behind the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, it’s a legal forward pass.

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 03:33 AM
I'd need Indy to confirm but I know illegal forward passes are sometimes misinterpreted as being a penalty when it isn't since I believe it requires the QBs entire body to be across the LOS. So the ball could be released clearly beyond the LOS but it would still be legal if the QB's back foot was still behind or on the LOS.

EDIT: Just saw the video and his entire body is definitely across the LOS: https://youtu.be/rVvbpdFtYZc?t=767

Oh yeah he was 2 yards past.

OrygunBison
09-04-2021, 04:13 AM
Fuck him.

I think that would have drawn an "illegal touching" penalty.

mtoutfitter
09-04-2021, 04:33 PM
Plus the talking heads didnt even catch it.

My wife did. :nod:

Not surprising PL....she spotted more antelope than you when she was here.....:D

IndyBison
09-04-2021, 08:26 PM
Lots to discuss here. Thanks for asking.

Bad read 56. I disagree. If he had come in with arms wide ready to wrap and put his face guard in rather than the crown I would agree. But he tried to drill his crown in. No wrap attempt. And he knocked the player out cold.
Lots of judgement on this play. First you have to determine catch/no catch. If you go with catch/fumble you likely take off the defenseless option of targeting because you have to determine if he had an opportunity to defend himself. If you have no catch then he's definitely defenseless because he hasn't completed the process of the catch. The crew on the field went with catch/down and replay went with catch/fumble. In real time on the field I imagine this looked like shoulder to shoulder. You have to watch it on replay to see there was contact to the helmet as well. You can't go by the injury because I've seen players knocked out from hitting the ground with their head.

If replay felt he was no longer defenseless then you can only have targeting on leading with the crown of his helmet. Did he lead with his crown or did he lean with the shoulder? The philosophy of the crown is broadened to include the front of the helmet so it does appear the defender's crown is what contacts the receiver's helmet. But was it initiating contact or incidental with his shoulder being the primary force? If you consider him defenseless then the crown doesn't need to be involved and you can have targeting with forcible contact above the shoulder.

So lots of combinations of factors there to consider. With replay you have to be technical and you have very clear video that could take you off targeting on a play like this because most of the contact was shoulder to shoulder. But the action of this defender is exactly what the targeting rule is trying to prevent. Wrap up rather than blow up. If he didn't commit targeting for lack of trying. In my D3 games this would probably be called targeting and the fuzzy video it would definitely be supported. They may be technically right based what judgements they made, but both the on field and replay officials may get downgrades. Sometimes the gray is hard.

This is definitely a foul. With the QB rolling this way the wing has to retreat to cover the play and gives up the LOS. He should still possibly be focused on WHERE the ball is thrown, but he's also watching the blocks around the runner and focused on whether or not he stays in bounds. Lots to digest for him, but he has the benefit of a big line being the LOS. The U or wing on the opposite side could help but with players in the way it's hard to see where the pass is thrown from their perspective. I believe this is reviewable, but since it was intercepted the result would be the same. It is an illegal forward pass, but it can still be intercepted. This just takes off DPI, ineligible downfield, etc. The penalty would be 5 yards from the spot of the throw and a loss of down. With the interception UCF would decline the penalty and keep the ball.

Funny call in the Jayhawk Yote game

False Start---"Everyone but the center"

I've had this several times. The center misses or forgets the snap count and everyone else goes.

oldmantutters
09-04-2021, 08:36 PM

Lots of judgement on this play. First you have to determine catch/no catch. If you go with catch/fumble you likely take off the defenseless option of targeting because you have to determine if he had an opportunity to defend himself. If you have no catch then he's definitely defenseless because he hasn't completed the process of the catch. The crew on the field went with catch/down and replay went with catch/fumble. In real time on the field I imagine this looked like shoulder to shoulder. You have to watch it on replay to see there was contact to the helmet as well. You can't go by the injury because I've seen players knocked out from hitting the ground with their head.

If replay felt he was no longer defenseless then you can only have targeting on leading with the crown of his helmet. Did he lead with his crown or did he lean with the shoulder? The philosophy of the crown is broadened to include the front of the helmet so it does appear the defender's crown is what contacts the receiver's helmet. But was it initiating contact or incidental with his shoulder being the primary force? If you consider him defenseless then the crown doesn't need to be involved and you can have targeting with forcible contact above the shoulder.

So lots of combinations of factors there to consider. With replay you have to be technical and you have very clear video that could take you off targeting on a play like this because most of the contact was shoulder to shoulder. But the action of this defender is exactly what the targeting rule is trying to prevent. Wrap up rather than blow up. If he didn't commit targeting for lack of trying. In my D3 games this would probably be called targeting and the fuzzy video it would definitely be supported. They may be technically right based what judgements they made, but both the on field and replay officials may get downgrades. Sometimes the gray is hard.

This is definitely a foul. With the QB rolling this way the wing has to retreat to cover the play and gives up the LOS. He should still possibly be focused on WHERE the ball is thrown, but he's also watching the blocks around the runner and focused on whether or not he stays in bounds. Lots to digest for him, but he has the benefit of a big line being the LOS. The U or wing on the opposite side could help but with players in the way it's hard to see where the pass is thrown from their perspective. I believe this is reviewable, but since it was intercepted the result would be the same. It is an illegal forward pass, but it can still be intercepted. This just takes off DPI, ineligible downfield, etc. The penalty would be 5 yards from the spot of the throw and a loss of down. With the interception UCF would decline the penalty and keep the ball.

I've had this several times. The center misses or forgets the snap count and everyone else goes.Thanks for your thoughts on this Indy. Do you think both of the defenders arms/hands shooting through the contact make any difference in the decision?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

IndyBison
09-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Thanks for your thoughts on this Indy. Do you think both of the defenders arms/hands shooting through the contact make any difference in the decision?

Not sure what you mean by arms/hands shooting through the contact, but in general if you try to wrap up you are much less likely to commit targeting. If you come like a missile leading with the top of your body you have a high potential for targeting. They want defender to tackle. not blow up. I thought we would see less of it with targeting but players don't seem to understand that.

56BISON73
09-04-2021, 08:43 PM

I've had this several times. The center misses or forgets the snap count and everyone else goes.

Thank you!!!!!

oldmantutters
09-04-2021, 08:46 PM
Not sure what you mean by arms/hands shooting through the contact, but in general if you try to wrap up you are much less likely to commit targeting. If you come like a missile leading with the top of your body you have a high potential for targeting. They want defender to tackle. not blow up. I thought we would see less of it with targeting but players don't seem to understand that.In the Twitter clip posted it looks like the hands come through, the opposite of wrapping up.

marenlee
09-19-2021, 06:17 AM
Another frustrating non-call by officials during Fresno/UCLA game. I’ll post a clip when available. There is still no consistency to targeting. Fresno QB Haener attempts a pass to the end zone. Gets hit hard legally after the pass. While in mid-air during the hit, he is hit late (sandwiched) between another UCLA defender. No call, no review. How is that not a hit to a defenseless player?

marenlee
09-19-2021, 06:19 AM
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1439472263577968640?s=21

marenlee
09-19-2021, 06:22 AM
Also I just realized I’m watching this on Pac12 network. So me and 5 other people in the country are watching. Fubotv is awesome for sports!

Hammerhead
09-19-2021, 01:35 PM
I didn't see any hit to the head or neck area on the QB.

Another frustrating non-call by officials during Fresno/UCLA game. I’ll post a clip when available. There is still no consistency to targeting. Fresno QB Haener attempts a pass to the end zone. Gets hit hard legally after the pass. While in mid-air during the hit, he is hit late (sandwiched) between another UCLA defender. No call, no review. How is that not a hit to a defenseless player?

Bisonator98
09-19-2021, 04:45 PM
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1439472263577968640?s=21

That doesn't look like anything flag worthy. At normal speed that's bang/bang play. Don't want to get hit get rid of the ball sooner. Players can't stop in a split second.

IndyBison
09-20-2021, 05:02 AM
Things to consider on this play. He is defenseless so 9-1-4 targeting could apply. Forcible contact to head or neck area. I think it's pretty clear that didn't happen. 9-1-3 targeting involves initiating forcible contact with the crown is the helmet. This is close but you have to judge is enough of the crown was part of the hit. Does he get his head to the side of the body? You make that judgment call. Not everyone may agree including officials. The final judgement can here is did the second defender her there too late. R has to madre that judgment call which is why he gets paid the big bucks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hammersmith
09-21-2021, 12:05 AM
Not the best weekend by SEC officials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4kA1dCWwJc