PDA

View Full Version : Bison1660 and ForumComm

tony
08-29-2021, 10:24 PM
I've been a little preoccupied, but I'm trying to listen to as much Bison1660 as I can.

One thing I've noticed is an absence of Kolpack and Izzo on any of the shows. Have I just gotten unlucky?

TAILG8R
08-29-2021, 10:28 PM
I've been a little preoccupied, but I'm trying to listen to as much Bison1660 as I can.

One thing I've noticed is an absence of Kolpack and Izzo on any of the shows. Have I just gotten unlucky?

Have Kolpack or Izzo ever been on any 1660 shows?

HerdBot
08-29-2021, 10:34 PM
I haven't heard them but I would love to. The 1660 guys and Kolpack and Dom are my favorite guys. Would like to hear Culhane on Doms show and vice versa

Hot Mic is 9-11 and The Insiders is 11-1 so I would imagine Dom is probably busy after his show and Culhane is prepping a few hours before. And Dom and Jeff is probably prepping for for a game in 6 days

I heard Beth on Keith Brakes show last week. I like her too

Make it happen!

bisonaudit
08-29-2021, 11:17 PM
It may not be up to them.

THEsocalledfan
08-30-2021, 01:15 AM

Lingering effect of the Kolpack meltdown? Jeff said he apologized.......but like already said, Forum may just have said no for some reason.

Bisonator98
08-30-2021, 01:20 AM
Bison 1660 should try to get Dom's Hot Mic show on from 9-11. I don't care for Dan Patrick.

HerdBot
08-30-2021, 01:25 AM
Bison 1660 should try to get Dom's Hot Mic show on from 9-11. I don't care for Dan Patrick.

That would be CAF. I listen daily during football season but always on podcast. But I imagine they want to drive viewers to WDAY Xtra

roadwarrior
08-30-2021, 02:11 AM

Kolpack and Izzo work for the Forum, which is a competitor of Radio FM. That probably explains it.

marenlee
08-30-2021, 02:16 AM
Lingering effect of the Kolpack meltdown? Jeff said he apologized.......but like already said, Forum may just have said no for some reason.

Somehow I missed this. What’s the backstory? I listen to 1660 all the time and don’t do much Dom and Jeff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonator98
08-30-2021, 02:45 AM
Kolpack and Izzo work for the Forum, which is a competitor of Radio FM. That probably explains it.

Not any more. FC sold WDAY radio to FLAG.

THEsocalledfan
08-30-2021, 03:01 AM
Somehow I missed this. What’s the backstory? I listen to 1660 all the time and don’t do much Dom and Jeff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When 1660 came online, ML gave them pretty exclusive access to NDSU coaches, etc, as part of the deal. On top of that, they made it clear coaches would not regularly be on other programs or give other interviews. To add insult to injury (from the Forum's perspective, not mine), they said Dom and Jeff could no longer film any segments on the west lot, etc on gameday. Caused a huge, huge firestorm. (So much so, NDSU did back off a bit after the Forum put a full court press on them.) So, on the old Kolpack and Izzo radio show, Jeff had a complete meltdown, publicly, and basically accused/speculated Culhane was behind it, even though they were not even up and running. Jeff was just pissed and blowing steam, but it was over the top unprofessional. He later apologized and said he did so personally to Jeff Culhane, who had nothing to do with the deal.

I'm not excusing Jeff's behavior at the time, but I am sure he was pissed at the Forum for not getting the contract, and was having a hard time realizing they could be second fiddle in Bison coverage at that point. Of course, Jeff and Dom rallied and continued to provide probably the best, overall non-biased content out there. To me, they have always been, and will be the standard in Bison coverage. Have to give the a ton of credit after having a very difficult situation thrown at them, and now they have the media deal as icing on the cake. Just wish they still did the Saturday show, but the pod is always excellent.

NDSU92
08-30-2021, 03:07 AM
When 1660 came online, ML gave them pretty exclusive access to NDSU coaches, etc, as part of the deal. On top of that, they made it clear coaches would not regularly be on other programs or give other interviews. To add insult to injury (from the Forum's perspective, not mine), they said Dom and Jeff could no longer film any segments on the west lot, etc on gameday. Caused a huge, huge firestorm. (So much so, NDSU did back off a bit after the Forum put a full court press on them.) So, on the old Kolpack and Izzo radio show, Jeff had a complete meltdown, publicly, and basically accused/speculated Culhane was behind it, even though they were not even up and running. Jeff was just pissed and blowing steam, but it was over the top unprofessional. He later apologized and said he did so personally to Jeff Culhane, who had nothing to do with the deal.

I didn’t know about that specific meltdown aimed at Culhane but would love to hear it. I’m sure it’s gone forever though. I love what Kolpack does, he’s done a lot to publicize NDSU, and that’s all great. But that whole deal of being entitled to all access when your company doesn’t give a dollar to NDSU while making tons of money off of it was such a turnoff. To this day I have people tell me how good he/Izzo are with their pregame show and radio stuff but I don’t follow them.

Probably will be water under the bridge for me with the new media contract though. Party on

THEsocalledfan
08-30-2021, 03:09 AM
I didn’t know about that specific meltdown aimed at Culhane but would love to hear it. I’m sure it’s gone forever though. I love what Kolpack does, he’s done a lot to publicize NDSU, and that’s all great. But that whole deal of being entitled to all access when your company doesn’t give a dollar to NDSU while making tons of money off of it was such a turnoff. To this day I have people tell me how good he/Izzo are with their pregame show and radio stuff but I don’t follow them.

Probably will be water under the bridge for me with the new media contract though. Party on

You are missing out. They have the single best Bison podcast, with Uglem as a very close second.

El_Chapo
08-30-2021, 04:06 AM
screw the forum, too many und grads.

besides the FLAG bought the radio station.

and I still remember ndsu kicking out their reporters from practice..bahahaha

go 1660 am & Nancy odney

what was the point of this thread tony?

MankatoBison
08-30-2021, 01:22 PM
I love 1660 because its #1 topic is NDSU, obviously. Bu tlets be honest, Culhane and Rickhoff are NOT good radio personalities. at best, its like talking to 2 buddies in your kitchen about the game coming up. nothing insightful. DEFINITELY not anything controversial. Absolutely not willing to ruffle even the smallest feathers.

I like it because of the topic, but the facilitators straight up suck. Its laughable to me how truly untalented 1660 is as far as radio personalities. Izzo is VASTLY better on the air, because for one, he is more talented. but more importantly, he can talk honestly about the team. Its not just sunshine and cotton candy, ALWAYS. You can tell that hes prepped beforehand.

When 1660 talks anything besides Bison, its infuriating, because the ONLY thing they have going for them is the topic, not the talent. So not only do I not give a shit about the topic, I have to sit through Anthony Rickoff fumbling through his words and Jeff giving the absolute tamest takes possible. At least with Dom, hes talented enough to make me care about the 9 man football scene or a great girls basketball player from Minot or something.

1660 on gamedays is excellent stuff, but their day to day programming is excruciating

THEsocalledfan
08-30-2021, 01:33 PM
I love 1660 because its #1 topic is NDSU, obviously. Bu tlets be honest, Culhane and Rickhoff are NOT good radio personalities. at best, its like talking to 2 buddies in your kitchen about the game coming up. nothing insightful. DEFINITELY not anything controversial. Absolutely not willing to ruffle even the smallest feathers.

I like it because of the topic, but the facilitators straight up suck. Its laughable to me how truly untalented 1660 is as far as radio personalities. Izzo is VASTLY better on the air, because for one, he is more talented. but more importantly, he can talk honestly about the team. Its not just sunshine and cotton candy, ALWAYS. You can tell that hes prepped beforehand.

When 1660 talks anything besides Bison, its infuriating, because the ONLY thing they have going for them is the topic, not the talent. So not only do I not give a shit about the topic, I have to sit through Anthony Rickoff fumbling through his words and Jeff giving the absolute tamest takes possible. At least with Dom, hes talented enough to make me care about the 9 man football scene or a great girls basketball player from Minot or something.

1660 on gamedays is excellent stuff, but their day to day programming is excruciating

I'm not this down on 1660, but agree that the North Korea state media mindset gets old. Huge, huge blow when they lost JJ......he has one of the best FCS minds in the country. Andy R just is not carrying his water.

Bisonator98
08-30-2021, 01:34 PM

He's not that talented......at least for me haha

tony
08-30-2021, 02:03 PM
Talking crap about my boy, Dom? Non ci credo!

Nobody got more excited than Ed Schultz and he was really good on broadcasts. It won't hurt for NDSU to have a more likeable version of Ed out there.

TAILG8R
08-30-2021, 04:21 PM
Not any more. FC sold WDAY radio to FLAG.

No they didn't. The Flag is the operating manager of WDAY. Marcil still owns WDAY.

Bison 4 Life
08-30-2021, 04:27 PM

How is this not the simplest explanation? They are on 970.

Bisonator98
08-30-2021, 05:43 PM
No they didn't. The Flag is the operating manager of WDAY. Marcil still owns WDAY.

Doesn't the deal involve eventual ownership? Sounded to me like Marcil was getting out entirely at some point.

HerdBot
08-30-2021, 05:51 PM

He owns it but they are in the process of selling it to the flag. That's been highly publicized. It's not a 1 quick sale type transaction

The Forum and WDAY TV don't even cross promote with them anymore. There's a reason Dom isn't on WDAY radio anymore.

1998braves64
08-30-2021, 05:52 PM
He's not that talented......at least for me haha

Have to remember with 9 man football he's prepping for 8 teams in two days or is it 4 I can't remember if he split that duty with someone, again though this is what he's paid to do. His play by play is okay obviously not his forte because I don't think he did much day in and day out play by play before Fargo either?? I always think he does well in spring tournaments, could be I'm just not watching with a critical eye very much, but I never get the UGH this play by play is driving me crazy feeling either. Doesn't give me much to complain about. His calls at end of games for the two state class B basketball championship games with Hillsboro in 2017 & 2018 were both good "memorable" calls as in he didn't over do it but gave it enough excitement for the average viewer, again I guess I'm not impartial to those since I had a vested interested in HCV winning both.

I guess I don't feel Dom is that much of a drop off from Brian, guess will see when the masses start watching Bison games.

HerdBot
08-30-2021, 05:53 PM
Dom and Culhane were on the Bison Football Show together

1998braves64
08-30-2021, 05:55 PM
I'm not this down on 1660, but agree that the North Korea state media mindset gets old. Huge, huge blow when they lost JJ......he has one of the best FCS minds in the country. Andy R just is not carrying his water.

I've tried listening a couple times to 1660 on drive home and it's always meh enough for me to either switch to country station or keep listening to Barriero on KFAN. Only time I ever listen is bison games if I happen to be driving or listening to post game show. So NDSU or whoever is running this thing should know there is definitely a large amount of room for improvement for the area in discussion here.

oldmantutters
08-30-2021, 08:07 PM
I've tried listening a couple times to 1660 on drive home and it's always meh enough for me to either switch to country station or keep listening to Barriero on KFAN. Only time I ever listen is bison games if I happen to be driving or listening to post game show. So NDSU or whoever is running this thing should know there is definitely a large amount of room for improvement for the area in discussion here.That's the Brake Down during the afternoon drive, which is fucking awful. The Insiders from 11-1 is better, but still pretty boring. I get that none of the shows on 1660 are going to get very controversial but, I don't know. I had high hopes when the station started but I think there's a lot of room for improvement. They could start by not wearing JMU kneepads. To me the best part of 1660 is the games, post game and I do like the former players bagging on SDSU and UND.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

bisonaudit
08-30-2021, 08:19 PM
That's the Brake Down during the afternoon drive, which is fucking awful. The Insiders from 11-1 is better, but still pretty boring. I get that none of the shows on 1660 are going to get very controversial but, I don't know. I had high hopes when the station started but I think there's a lot of room for improvement. They could start by not wearing JMU kneepads. To me the best part of 1660 is the games, post game and I do like the former players bagging on SDSU and UND.

Yes the big problem with 1660 is that they don’t take the piss out of JMU enough.

#hiremorehommers

oldmantutters
08-30-2021, 09:19 PM
Yes the big problem with 1660 is that they don’t take the piss out of JMU enough.

#hiremorehommersBecause dedicating multiple segments every week to people associated with a team NDSU MIGHT face in the playoffs is what Bison fans want to hear

Herd
08-30-2021, 10:41 PM
Someone please tell Kolpack to cut the "Lauren" tag off his jacket. Com'on Man!

TAILG8R
08-30-2021, 10:45 PM

Was thinking that every time they showed his left arm, lol.

I was just happy it wasn't 2-3 sizes too big for once.

NDSU92
08-31-2021, 12:40 AM

I lol'd. Must be taking it back to the store later

El_Chapo
08-31-2021, 03:04 AM
they are posers all these forum comm hacks..
goto LinkedIn & see all the und grads working there and the SDSU operations graduate.

Bison03
08-31-2021, 03:10 AM
Both are great. 1660 does an amazing job covering NDSU, especially on gamedays. The Forum/WDAY guys dona great job as well. Will only get better with them getting the games on tv. We are pretty lucky to have the amount of coverage we do. I would say more than any other FCS/mid major program.

AKBison
08-31-2021, 04:22 AM
Both are great. 1660 does an amazing job covering NDSU, especially on gamedays. The Forum/WDAY guys dona great job as well. Will only get better with them getting the games on tv. We are pretty lucky to have the amount of coverage we do. I would say more than any other FCS/mid major program.

I'm with the OP,. I wish Dom's show was on 1660 and the whole station was simulcast statewide.

tony
08-31-2021, 01:18 PM

I'm with you on this 100%. Bison1660 is awesome and so are Izzo/Kolpack from ForumComm.

You'd think that there'd be some cross-promotion - the fact there isn't seems to indicate that some big egos are involved (and not from the people doing the work.)

MankatoBison
08-31-2021, 01:28 PM
I'm with the OP,. I wish Dom's show was on 1660 and the whole station was simulcast statewide.

YES- adding Dom would compleeeeeeetely change 1660 for the better.

Also, why cant 1660 figure out Itunes podcasts? Going through Soundcloud is like pulling teeth.

HerdBot
08-31-2021, 03:27 PM

Also, why cant 1660 figure out Itunes podcasts? Going through Soundcloud is like pulling teeth.

You can put a podcast on so many platforms including Spotify, itunes, and soundcloud. Soundcloud is the worst but if I was in charge I would put them on as many as possible including You Tube.

HerdBot
08-31-2021, 03:48 PM
I'll file this under Forum Comm

http://mikemcfeely.fccnn.libsynpro.com/bison-glory-days-podcast-tony-satter-remembers-the-difficult-1987-season-followed-by-perfection-1988

BISON GLORY DAYS podcast: Tony Satter remembers the difficult 1987 season, followed by perfection 1988

Good listen. FBS talk, 88 season talk, and how emotionally draining 2020 was for some players because in football you practice 75 times to not play games in the fall. I would say get out and buy some tickets because the games mean a lot to these kids. They work too hard and play in too few games to not have a packed dome

El_Chapo
08-31-2021, 04:29 PM
wont ever click a mcfooly article. we've all hear satter talk, he's awesome.

THEsocalledfan
08-31-2021, 04:38 PM

Yeah, you used to be about to flip soundcloud to an rss feed, but I can't get that trick to work anymore.....

AKBison
08-31-2021, 06:50 PM
wont ever click a mcfooly article. we've all hear satter talk, he's awesome.

Same, they guy is a real POS and should stick to Minnesota small town politics.

tony
10-14-2021, 05:20 PM
Dom Izzo is on right now.

Woohoo! It's like a cross-over episode!

TAILG8R
10-14-2021, 05:31 PM
Dom Izzo is on right now.

Woohoo! It's like a cross-over episode!Kind of fun actually. Of nothing else it brings something different to the same old same old.

I wonder if Jeff will make an appearance on Dom's show sometime.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

THEsocalledfan
10-14-2021, 06:17 PM
Kind of fun actually. Of nothing else it brings something different to the same old same old.

I wonder if Jeff will make an appearance on Dom's show sometime.

Every week, but think you meant Jeff on Jeff's show.

Edit, you mean Jeff C on Dom.....man, too many Jeffs.

TAILG8R
10-14-2021, 06:18 PM
Every week, but think you meant Jeff on Jeff's show.What?

I know kolpack is on Dom's show every week. Has Culhane ever been on Dom's show?

THEsocalledfan
10-14-2021, 06:19 PM
What?

I know kolpack is on Dom's show every week. Has Culhane ever been on Dom's show?

I edited......

El_Chapo
10-14-2021, 06:20 PM
What?

NO.... and this is quite odd really... Nancy must of felt bad for Forum NDSU coverage and allowed this to happen to bolster Dom & NDSU TV ratings.

TAILG8R
10-14-2021, 06:20 PM
I edited......I hate it when I get caught in a quote before I get to fix my post. I finally did it to someone else!!!

Hammerhead
10-14-2021, 08:30 PM
What?

I think it was either Culhane or Keith Brake (sp?) on Hot Mic recently. I don't listen to Dom as much anymore now that I have to listen on my phone instead of the radio.

Mr. Burgundy
10-15-2021, 01:40 PM
I absolutely love listening to Dom. Just miss it actually being on a radio station. It is impossible to find. COuldn't be less convenient. I want to be able to be in my truck and turn the dial to Dom. He has great guests. this whole FLAG thing is odd. There has to be a better way to listen to a great program.

fbmind
10-15-2021, 02:06 PM
I absolutely love listening to Dom. Just miss it actually being on a radio station. It is impossible to find. COuldn't be less convenient. I want to be able to be in my truck and turn the dial to Dom. He has great guests. this whole FLAG thing is odd. There has to be a better way to listen to a great program.

This!!!

If you actually listen to Dom's show it is really good...the Tuesday edition with McFeeley and Kyle E. is really good. It's not just the cheerleader stuff you hear on 1660. They talk Bison...but have good stories and are honest and even-handed to both the good and the bad going on. As Burgundy said, there needs to be a way to get his show on the radio!

Jay
10-15-2021, 02:48 PM
Well, not perfect but it’s available via podcast shortly after the show is over.

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2021, 03:04 PM
Well, not perfect but it’s available via podcast shortly after the show is over.

Living outside of the center of the universe, I did not even realize it was not on the radio anymore. Super easy to pod; I do it regularly. If folks have an old car with old aux inputs, super easy to buy a bluetooth receiver if you want to avoid cables.

tony
10-27-2021, 06:34 PM
I managed to catch a little of Jimmy Foo'ball on Bison1600 today... pretty awesome.

And there was some FBS talk.

bajadanny
10-27-2021, 09:28 PM
I managed to catch a little of Jimmy Foo'ball on Bison1600 today... pretty awesome.

And there was some FBS talk.

Jimmy football is always great to listen to

MankatoBison
10-28-2021, 02:48 PM
Zach Staton or whatever ihis name is is sooooooooooooooOOOO bad at radio.

I listen to Open Mic with Dom each day via podcast, and when zach fills in.... my goodness it is awful. I listen to it on 2x speed and there are times where I have to check my phone to see if its still playing. 5-10x a show, he will have a legitimate 10-15 second gaps of dead air. And approx half of the time he is talking packers and talking NON Twins baseball, or the yankess or virginia basketball or baseball or some crap.

Legitimately, here is the approximate breakdown of air time on his show:

30% Yankees, University of Virginia bull shit, his dad (but not interesting like Dom's dad)
29% Dead air
21% Virtue signaling about how wise and honorable he is and how bad of a person you are if you disagree with Zach Staton
10% Other, non local baseball
7% UND Hockey
3% NDSU football

Kill me. I can get by a hefty portion of virtue signaling from Dom, because the rest of the show is usually so good. But Zack is the worst of both worlds. He has a good big play voice, and thats about it

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-28-2021, 03:34 PM
Dom’s podcast is pretty good. I think Dom should stick to podcasts/radio and Zach should stick to play by play……

T-Funk
10-28-2021, 03:39 PM

I listen to Open Mic with Dom each day via podcast, and when zach fills in.... my goodness it is awful. I listen to it on 2x speed and there are times where I have to check my phone to see if its still playing. 5-10x a show, he will have a legitimate 10-15 second gaps of dead air. And approx half of the time he is talking packers and talking NON Twins baseball, or the yankess or virginia basketball or baseball or some crap.

30% Yankees, University of Virginia bull shit, his dad (but not interesting like Dom's dad)
29% Dead air
21% Virtue signaling about how wise and honorable he is and how bad of a person you are if you disagree with Zach Staton
7% UND Hockey
3% NDSU football

Kill me. I can get by a hefty portion of virtue signaling from Dom, because the rest of the show is usually so good. But Zack is the worst of both worlds. He has a good big play voice, and thats about it

Why is it so hard to just delete the podcast and not listen to it if it's so bad. My goodness.

MankatoBison
10-28-2021, 04:51 PM
Why is it so hard to just delete the podcast and not listen to it if it's so bad. My goodness.

It will be ok Funk. I dont think Zach is good host when he fills in... I know this is a tough blow for you but You will rebuild, and you will build back better. With the help of friends, family and prayer, you will move on.

Just remember, beyond brokenness, there is wholeness. Beyond despair, there is comfort. Beyond the tears, there will be laughter... but just not today

IDDUKES
10-28-2021, 05:01 PM

29% Dead air
7% UND Hockey
3% NDSU football

I do the exact same thing, it's very annoying.