PDA

View Full Version : Return of NDSU Defense

El_Chapo
08-09-2021, 04:27 PM
NDSU defense gave up 24/24 scoring opportunities in red zone last year & 18 TDS.

tackling was atrocious & takeaways were non existent

Jeff Culhane is running thru these stats on 1660 now.

RETURN of the NDSU Defense will be KEY this year

HerdBot
08-09-2021, 04:29 PM
Can't argue with those stats but having an offense that kept them on the field all the time didn't help either. 3 and outs do not give the defense enough time to adjust.

El_Chapo
08-09-2021, 04:55 PM
Can't argue with those stats but having an offense that kept them on the field all the time didn't help either. 3 and outs do not give the defense enough time to adjust.

very true.
I just didn't like the lack of tackling/takeaways

MankatoBison
08-09-2021, 04:59 PM
Its actually astonishing to look at the offensive and defensive stats of last year and then realize that we were 1 ok play away from beating SH in the quarterfinals.

It says two things VERY loudly:
1. How good our program is overall.
2. How f*cking bad the FCS is at football, overall. It took SDSU having their best team ever and NDSU's worst team in a decade, combined with apocalyptic covid situations, and unheard of NFL draft situation etc for SOMONE to finally embarrass us. SIU too.

Even with that, we were one average play away from beating the eventual champion. yikes. reflects really well on us, and really bad on the FCS

EC8CH
08-09-2021, 05:04 PM
Its actually astonishing to look at the offensive and defensive stats of last year and then realize that we were 1 ok play away from beating SH in the quarterfinals.

It says two things VERY loudly:
1. How good our program is overall.
2. How f*cking bad the FCS is at football, overall. It took SDSU having their best team ever and NDSU's worst team in a decade, combined with apocalyptic covid situations, and unheard of NFL draft situation etc for SOMONE to finally embarrass us. SIU too.

Even with that, we were one average play away from beating the eventual champion. yikes. reflects really well on us, and really bad on the FCS

Lots of games last season that could have easily tipped the wrong way too. Remarkable like you say with stats that bad they were close to still taking it the distance, but stats realistically show the lack of dominance compared to prior years.

BisonHorns
08-09-2021, 05:10 PM
I watched a couple old games on youtube. Jeez some of those old defenses played angry, hungry, and FAST. Play after play just exploding into tackles. Lots of time the opponent offenses were just struggling to get plays started. It would be awesome to bring that back.

Twincitybizon
08-09-2021, 05:13 PM
For a couple years we were plagued by wr's that couldn't beat one on one. Now we're plagued by db's who can't win one on one. Sometimes one on two. Have up toooo many 3 rd down conversions. Tackled poorly. I agree it's sad last year's INCREDIBLY flawed team had a real shot. Everyone else sucks

HerdBot
08-09-2021, 06:31 PM
I watched a couple old games on youtube. Jeez some of those old defenses played angry, hungry, and FAST. Play after play just exploding into tackles. Lots of time the opponent offenses were just struggling to get plays started. It would be awesome to bring that back.

Like Travis Beck jumping over the line of scrimmage to tackle the K State QB and then re-dislocating his shoulder and trying to tackle the qb with 1 arm. And then a few plays later he is back in there after popping it back into socket.

Professor Chaos
08-09-2021, 06:57 PM
The overall defensive numbers have been trending down since 2017. The difference is that in 2018 and 2019 the Bison offense was otherworldly efficient... better than any of the previous championship seasons (even 2013). This spring the Bison offense regressed to the kind of efficiency (or lack thereof) it had circa 2012 but that 2012 defense was superb... this spring's defense not so much. I don't care if it's the offense going back to 2018/2019 form or the defense going back to 2012/2013 form but hopefully we see one of those things happen this fall.

scottietohottie
08-09-2021, 07:05 PM
The overall defensive numbers have been trending down since 2017. The difference is that in 2018 and 2019 the Bison offense was otherworldly efficient... better than any of the previous championship seasons (even 2013). This spring the Bison offense regressed to the kind of efficiency (or lack thereof) it had circa 2012 but that 2012 defense was superb... this spring's defense not so much. I don't care if it's the offense going back to 2018/2019 form or the defense going back to 2012/2013 form but hopefully we see one of those things happen this fall.

Yeah it doesn't help when the offense can't convert a third down. 3 and out, 3 and out. Wears your defense out.

El_Chapo
08-10-2021, 05:06 AM
true scottie.

but we need Kaszor/Tutsie/Hankey hitting guys like bolts of lightning...

El_Chapo
01-09-2023, 04:12 AM
Well.. I didn't bump this thread in 2022 at all......

Let's hope we can return next year. Need to be quicker to the ball and tackle.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 04:54 AM

Need a bigger and quicker d-line. SDSU smacked them up like a pimp slaps a hooker. No pressure. Huge holes. Our middle linebacker is a major liability. Most of our linebackers had bad moments.
Our corners couldn't tackle in the lingerie football league. Pretty much every player on our defense embarressed themselves on national TV. We could have started all true freshman and the result probably would have been better. When your safeties are your leading tacklers, something is wrong. When you cant get any pressure on 3rd down, its a losing formula

ndsubison1
01-09-2023, 11:46 AM

We lose our best defensive players other than Eli.

tolnabison
01-09-2023, 02:09 PM
I question some of their rotations. I get that rotating guys keeps people fresh, healthy, and gets more people experience. But without a question I feel that there was many times this year the better players weren't on the field enough. A few examples:

Logan Kopp was our best tackling LB. I know he was a redshirt freshman, but he was a more consistent tackler than 20, 36, 47, and 26. I remember back in 2011 a redshirt freshman that took over the SLB job and sparked our defense. Also never left the field. In my eyes, Kopp and Wisniewski should have never left the field.

Marques Sigle is/was more talented and playing at a higher level at cornerback than both Telbert and Price. Instead he gets to play half the snaps as sophomore and he decides to transfer.

DJ Hart very talented and fast WR. When given the opportunities he produced. Instead we play other WR's that haven't consistently produced. He decides to transfer to a place where he will have more opportunities. Rotating with guys like Raja, Braylon, Lippe. Guys that are older that have not consistently performed.

23Bison
01-09-2023, 03:26 PM
I question some of their rotations. I get that rotating guys keeps people fresh, healthy, and gets more people experience. But without a question I feel that there was many times this year the better players weren't on the field enough. A few examples:

Logan Kopp was our best tackling LB. I know he was a redshirt freshman, but he was a more consistent tackler than 20, 36, 47, and 26. I remember back in 2011 a redshirt freshman that took over the SLB job and sparked our defense. Also never left the field. In my eyes, Kopp and Wisniewski should have never left the field.

Marques Sigle is/was more talented and playing at a higher level at cornerback than both Telbert and Price. Instead he gets to play half the snaps as sophomore and he decides to transfer.

DJ Hart very talented and fast WR. When given the opportunities he produced. Instead we play other WR's that haven't consistently produced. He decides to transfer to a place where he will have more opportunities. Rotating with guys like Raja, Braylon, Lippe. Guys that are older that have not consistently performed.

Heart was ran down with a 10 yd head start. Apparently just a tad better than Mr Tik Tok. Just had to share

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 03:46 PM

So...coaching. We can't, without a shadow of a doubt, say the best 11 are playing. Go back to the Lance/Noland debate in fall camp - was that harbinger of things to come? Once we saw Lance on the field, it became pretty apparent that this should never have even been a competition. He goes on to have arguably the best season in the history of the FCS. Zeb, who was absolutely a huge addition to this team, was never even CLOSE to Lance. If that decision was difficult - what other mistakes are they making...in recruiting, lineups, etc...

If you start peeling back the layers, does it fall apart more, or are you comforted? I feel like it is the former - you start to see hey, maybe there is a pattern here. We just missed it because of great individual efforts carrying the team. Or maybe that was innocent...but again, if that decision came down to the wire, so to speak...the judgement starts to look pretty questionable.

El_Chapo
01-09-2023, 03:55 PM
Show me 1 STAR bonfide STAR on NDSU defense next year.

shorthairsrus
01-09-2023, 04:02 PM
Mike Zimmer is no longer hired by J State --- call em up:irslow:

ndsubison1
01-09-2023, 04:09 PM

Eubanks has been very good. Eli I think was getting there but injury happened. I think the DLine has a lot of potential but we need a stud DE. Waege was very good but disappeared at times. LB group needs to step up. Cole W has been a bright spot in limited time hes played here. Cam Jones should be suitable but depth will be tested all over the defense next year.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 04:14 PM

I look to the D-line.
I think the obvious is our defense struggles to stop the run. We miss guys like Coster Ching (6-4, 285) Hankey, Brayden Thomas (6-3, 260) and Lane Tucker (6-3, 280). The guys who replaced them simply werent as good. What does the D-line look like next year?!

Were losing Waege. Guys like Will Mostart at 6-2, 260 need to beef up. Elis is a little bigger at 6-3, 280 but he looked rusty yesterday. Kody Huisman is physically good sized and will be a sophmore. Kelton McCaslin has a good frame at 6-5. Josh Magin has a 6-5 frame. Loshaika needs to add some weight but he has potential. Toby Anene physically looks great at 6-3 250. He was a true freshman

Bisonator98
01-09-2023, 04:14 PM
Kopp is talented but was just a freshman this season. Lots of young guys that need to develop just like every year.

CAS4127
01-09-2023, 04:17 PM
Kopp is talented but was just a freshman this season. Lots of young guys that need to develop just like every year.

And get playing time if they are the best at position, regardless of age/class. Development can come in a hurry from playing on the field.

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 04:24 PM
And get playing time if they are the best at position, regardless of age/class. Development can come in a hurry from playing on the field.

EXACTLY. It doesn't feel like this staff values the young guys - sometimes taking a few lumps early on pays dividends later. If you know a vet is out of position a bunch based on any number of reasons, but you have a young, hungry kid oozing talent that can flash and make an impact...especially at a position of weakness, at some point, don't you change what isn't working and give him a shot? It always felt like Klieman would take full advantage of the 4 game rule(or burn a shirt willingly if a kid was that good)...has Entz done the same? Do we have ANY true freshman playing? Even on our best teams, it always seemed like one or two person were key contributors. This team certainly isn't good enough that really anyone's position should be "safe" from competition, maybe Mauch...but he doesn't need saving, there just isn't a better version of him on the team yet. Beyond that...best player should play, even with inconsistencies.

So where does the problem exist - is it that we refuse to recognize young guys might be the best chance to win for god knows why...or is it that we just don't have the right type of recruit in the building currently? Both are equally as concerning, but one is obviously much easier to fix.

Bisonator98
01-09-2023, 04:25 PM

I agree. Not sure why they don't use that 4 game thing more to get these guys game reps especially early in the season.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 04:30 PM

We got some good young talent. Toby Anene redshirted and he looks the part. Kelton McKaslin was a true freshman. Logan Larson must be flashing skills if he was listed on the 2 deep

EndZoneQB
01-09-2023, 04:41 PM
We got some good young talent. Toby Anene redshirted and he looks the part. Kelton McKaslin was a true freshman. Logan Larson must be flashing skills if he was listed on the 2 deep

BUT DID THEY PLAY?? They get 4 games, wtf are we stashing these players for. It's not like we were absolutely dominating so make a change was dumb. We have been getting gashed all season - did we try anything new? NOPE. Maybe these kids make a splash play, they can't be any worse than what we had on the field at times. Or maybe they can...but there again, that goes back to recruiting.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 04:49 PM

Cole Wisniewski?

G_Funky
01-09-2023, 04:57 PM
Cole Wisniewski?

He seemed lost in the NC game. But so did our entire front seven.

Very reminiscent of the 2009 Bison defense. Just very little faith that they could make a play and stop a drive. I was watching with some buddies and I told them that Lujan was giving NDSU a gift by not running the ball every play. We were getting gashed on nearly every running play. When SDSU's drives did stall out it seemed that it was more their lack of execution on some oddly designed play than it was our defense beating them.

23Bison
01-09-2023, 06:12 PM
Is NDSU allergic to having DTs that are 295-305lbs. We’ve had guys 290 or just over but now they are what? 275-280. Just a thought since our DL got bullied off and on all season.

daddy daycare
01-09-2023, 06:27 PM
Yes, please return to sender.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 07:01 PM
Is NDSU allergic to having DTs that are 295-305lbs. We’ve had guys 290 or just over but now they are what? 275-280. Just a thought since our DL got bullied off and on all season.

6-4, 280 to 290 and lean is good We had Will Mostart at 6-2, 260. More because his brother got hurt who is 6-3, 280. The fact we didnt have depth is concerning

23Bison
01-09-2023, 08:20 PM
Will should not be playing DT at that weight. Just my opinion. 6'2" 250lb at DE is better. Again my opinion.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 08:38 PM
Will should not be playing DT at that weight. Just my opinion. 6'2" 250lb at DE is better. Again my opinion.

6-2 is ok if a guy is a quick guy like Menard but generally 6-4 to 6-5 guys around 240-250 flourish in our system. Historically if you werent 6-3, you wouldnt even be in the rotation

We used to recruit 6-4 DEs in high school, bulk them up and move them inside. Leevon Perry was a 250 pound DE when we got him and got up to 282 and he was lean. He was unblockable at times

23Bison
01-09-2023, 08:46 PM
6-2 is ok if a guy is a quick guy like Menard but generally 6-4 to 6-5 guys around 240-250 flourish in our system. Historically if you werent 6-3, you wouldnt even be in the rotation

We used to recruit 6-4 DEs in high school, bulk them up and move them inside. Leevon Perry was a 250 pound DE when we got him and got up to 282 and he was lean. He was unblockable at times

I agree. At the DE position. 260 at DT not so much.

El_Chapo
01-09-2023, 09:47 PM
Candidates for DC:

Glenn Caruso
Jerry Rosburg
Bryan shepherd
Willie Mack Garza

Bison Dan
01-09-2023, 10:00 PM

I think some of the 6 year guys this year hurt us by the coaches not playing some of the younger guys more.

HerdBot
01-09-2023, 10:04 PM
I think some of the 6 year guys this year hurt us by the coaches not playing some of the younger guys more.

A 6 year guy is a dream player and rare. Mentally they are experienced and physically they are men but you are right, it slows development.

blackdiamond2
01-10-2023, 12:13 AM
6 year guys are hard to keep.

Just think about the SDSU roster this past year. They really benefited from the extra year.

Jacks defense had several guys that were playing in their 5 total year. It is no wonder they were dang good.

DE - Winkleman - redshirted in 17, played in 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 - That is ton of experience (5th year playing)
DT - Celeb - played in 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 (5 years)
CB - Gales - played in 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 (5 years)
LB - Stalberg - played in 18 Neb, 19 Neb, 20 , 21, 22 (5 years).
DE - Teever - redshirt 18, played 19, 20, 21, 22 (4 years).

bruinbison
01-10-2023, 11:26 AM
Candidates for DC:

Glenn Caruso
Jerry Rosburg
Bryan shepherd
Willie Mack Garza

Regarding Willie Mack Garza:
https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-state-bobcats/report-suspended-montana-state-assistant-coach-willie-mack-garza-cited-for-dui?_amp=true

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=veaxHYPbreA

G_Funky
01-10-2023, 06:03 PM
Candidates for DC:

Glenn Caruso
Jerry Rosburg
Bryan shepherd
Willie Mack Garza

Okay sooo your list includes:

1) a current head football coach at a wildly successful school with deep pockets in a regional recruiting hotbed that just made the div 1 transition and showed they will be a force in the pioneer league
2) a 70 year old that was retired up until an offer to assist a newly hired head coach in the NFL came his way..
3) an ex player that has been a defensive quality assistant and an assistant defensive backs coach
4) an ex coach that has gotten a DUI in every state in which he's coached.

None of these really make sense.

Bisonator98
01-10-2023, 07:34 PM
Okay sooo your list includes:

1) a current head football coach at a wildly successful school with deep pockets in a regional recruiting hotbed that just made the div 1 transition and showed they will be a force in the pioneer league
2) a 70 year old that was retired up until an offer to assist a newly hired head coach in the NFL came his way..
3) an ex player that has been a defensive quality assistant and an assistant defensive backs coach
4) an ex coach that has gotten a DUI in every state in which he's coached.

It's lakes why are you shocked?

The_Sicatoka
01-10-2023, 07:38 PM

Rolling the dice on 28 year old Aaron Bohl makes more sense.

23Bison
01-10-2023, 07:43 PM
I still think we pool piles of money together and just have Jamar Cain come back and he can pick whatever job he wants at almost any rate. If Chapo can spit shit why can’t I?

Would love to see him come back though even though he never would.

23Bison
01-10-2023, 07:48 PM
I do believe current DL coach Nick Goeser will probably be the next DC. He’s been here longer than Entz and honestly probably should be in serious consideration.
https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/nick-goeser/1819

G_Funky
01-10-2023, 08:34 PM
I do believe current DL coach Nick Goeser will probably be the next DC. He’s been here longer than Entz and honestly probably should be in serious consideration.
https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/nick-goeser/1819

I could be wrong, but wasnt he one that Klieman chose not bring with him to KSU?

23Bison
01-10-2023, 08:41 PM
I could be wrong, but wasnt he one that Klieman chose not bring with him to KSU?

We don’t know if he was offered or not I don’t believe. He could have said no to it thinking he’d be next in line to be DC here. Just speculation I guess. Guys been here since 2010 and has coaches AA in Gratzek and Drevlow. Steidl, Perry and Tanguay among other great lineman. As far as experience goes, he’d almost have to be the man over the youngling position coaches that we have.

G_Funky
01-10-2023, 08:55 PM
Rolling the dice on 28 year old Aaron Bohl makes more sense.

Get Aaron over here and then bring on Craig as a defensive analyst when he's done in Laramie HAHA

In all honesty, I feel like NDSU has put themselves in a position that they don't need to "roll the dice" on a coordinator. They should really have their pick of the litter on any successful d coordinator at the FCS level, sans Jimmy Rogers at SDSU.

G_Funky
01-10-2023, 08:57 PM
We don’t know if he was offered or not I don’t believe. He could have said no to it thinking he’d be next in line to be DC here. Just speculation I guess. Guys been here since 2010 and has coaches AA in Gratzek and Drevlow. Steidl, Perry and Tanguay among other great lineman. As far as experience goes, he’d almost have to be the man over the youngling position coaches that we have.

Yes, if they hire internally he seems like the only logical pick.

heffray
01-10-2023, 10:43 PM

Could say the same thing about Entz…

mtoutfitter
01-10-2023, 11:18 PM
Could say the same thing about Entz…

And could say the same about Klieman with Bohl...

56BISON73
01-10-2023, 11:33 PM
Candidates for DC:

Glenn Caruso
Jerry Rosburg
Bryan shepherd
Willie Mack Garza

How many have you had today? Or havent you stopped from Sunday?

EndZoneQB
01-11-2023, 12:58 AM
And could say the same about Klieman with Bohl...

Then you don't remember how that played out. Bohl was PISSED that Klieman stayed - he took the Wyoming job thinking both Klieman and Vigen were coming. Bohl knew what Klieman was - Gene Taylor just did a little backdoor deal to keep him here.

heffray
01-11-2023, 01:03 AM
Then you don't remember how that played out. Bohl was PISSED that Klieman stayed - he took the Wyoming job thinking both Klieman and Vigen were coming. Bohl knew what Klieman was - Gene Taylor just did a little backdoor deal to keep him here.

I recall hearing this as well…

EndZoneQB
01-11-2023, 01:23 AM
I recall hearing this as well…

Also, that was Klieman's championship. Sure, that team probably wins without a coaching staff, but the rumors were that Bohl was coaching/recruiting for Wyoming...and Klieman did all the prep.

scottietohottie
01-11-2023, 01:29 AM
Also, that was Klieman's championship. Sure, that team probably wins without a coaching staff, but the rumors were that Bohl was coaching/recruiting for Wyoming...and Klieman did all the prep.

And i don't think Klieman and Bohl were on talking terms for that natty.

mtoutfitter
01-11-2023, 01:14 PM

You're right but how do you know Klieman didn't want Entz? Maybe Klieman just handled it better?

heffray
01-11-2023, 01:25 PM
You're right but how do you know Klieman didn't want Entz? Maybe Klieman just handled it better?

For the record, I don’t know that, I was just speculating…

mtoutfitter
01-11-2023, 01:33 PM
For the record, I don’t know that, I was just speculating…

I was as well.:)

EndZoneQB
01-11-2023, 05:17 PM

I didn't say that - I think Klieman and Entz had a great relationship and CK was happy for Entz.

23Bison
01-11-2023, 05:41 PM
If I recall, weren’t Entz and Klieman talking over the phone off and on during Entz’s first season as the head cheese? Maybe I’m remembering wrong.