PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Koening a Bison?

KTF
03-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Tyler is leaving UW-Green Bay. According to the article it appears he wants to play football for either NDSU or UND. Will be interesting to see what happens...

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=85873§ion=Sports

Tatanka
03-13-2005, 09:26 PM
FWIW, the radio guys covering the state "A" basketball tournament indicated that they thought he'd be changing his name to Sue--for basketball.

SirHinn
03-14-2005, 01:29 AM
I'd be really suprized if he chose the Bison over the Sioux especially with the fact that he'd have to sit out a year if he played basketball. He has 2 good friends from highschool who also currently play basketball at UND in Tommy Leikas and Jimmy Hoy though.

He sounds a bit decisive though on which sport he's going to play. Don't forget, he was a much more highly recruited kid coming out of HS as a football player. Notre Dame and Minnesota were a couple of schools who he was going after. He's definately physically gifted in terms of football with his height and good athleticism. Does he have the speed to play WR in college though? He def. could be a solid TE since he's up to 250 pounds.

There is a downside on Koenig though. He's a heck of an athlete and everything, but his work ethic isn't exactly what some would call extra ordinary. He doesn't give it a 110% in practice either, so some could speculate to say that it leads to games as well.

He's also been talking about transferring for the past year and a half, so I'm glad he actually finally decided to follow through on that.

KTF
03-14-2005, 02:00 AM
I wondered if he would really pursue football at NDSU. I am not sure he would have recieved any playing time, since it seems that the recruits that Bohl is signing are more "speciality" players. If he hadn't play for two years I can't imagine that NDSU would have been the right fit!

Is NDSU going to see less transfers from other programs due to NCAA rules? I definitely can see it benefit other regional schools over NDSU...

SirHinn
03-14-2005, 05:41 AM
I need to fix my post, I talked about him not giving it a 100% in practice. That's actually from what people have said. Everything I have personally watched from Mr. Koenig is, he gives it everything he has all the time. That's what people have said 2nd hand, so i won't speculate on what other people say. I'll just say he's a heck of a worker and would welcome him on any team.

JBB
03-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I dont think he has the kind of impact Bohl would be looking for. He hasnt played for a couple of yrs and we have a good bunch of TEs. But, he is exactly the type of player that can now stay a little closer to home if they are a step above DII.

Obviously too good to accept a scholarship from a DII school he had to move out of the area to reach his competitive goal of playing DI. It didnt work out for him but His career may have been a lot different if he could have redshirted and played locally. Now, eligibility concerns will probably force him down to DII.

BisonMav
03-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I think it would be great if Koenig playd for NDSU, Basketball and/or football. Good luck to Tyler where ever he ends up.

Bison_Dan
03-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Having watched him play HS ball I was never that impressed with him. For a large man I think he should have dominated more in HS. I think quickness is his biggest downfall for DI. But good luck to him where ever he goes.

Gamehunter
03-15-2005, 12:21 AM
My guess is the Sioux pick him up for Football.

greenandgold01
03-15-2005, 04:01 AM
I don't think he's going anywhere for football.

No one has mentioned another local possibility, Moorhead State. They have a fairly good bball team.

SirHinn
03-15-2005, 06:03 AM
I can tell you firsthand that Moorhead State is not even in Tyler's consideration. Technically speaking too, he still hasn't even got his release from Green Bay yet, so no school is allowed to communicate with him. His coach isn't exactly helping with his process in transferring. But of course, the 2 main schools who appear to be on his mind the most are obviously NDSU and UND.

By the way, I go to MSUM and our basketball program sucks. I don't know what your talking about it even being remotely good, because we are TERRIBLE.

greenandgold01
03-15-2005, 03:38 PM
2 seasons ago MSU had a fairly good bball team.

I was just saying that it was a local (close to Fargo) DII option.

Perhaps he'd consider Concordia, then? They're pretty good.

Or maybe he'd still come to NDSU and sit out a year?

Someone knows, but I'm curious as to why you think you're so sure?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-15-2005, 04:45 PM
SirHinn, you post like you are him ??? You seem pretty self assured about all your Koenig information, where are you getting it?

SirHinn
03-15-2005, 08:36 PM
I get my information from the man himself :o. I'm not one who will speculate.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Well why don't you get the inside track from him then? How close is he to a decision? When will he have a decision by? Who is he considering? I know a lot more will be clear when he gets his release, but we want to know as much as possible. Thanks

SirHinn
03-15-2005, 10:43 PM
The top 2 is obviously UND and NDSU and he won't make his decisioin until sometime after he gets release. As of right now, the only way either can communicate with him are through current players on both the Sioux and the Bison. He was quite upset that his coach didn't give him his release before his spring break because had the coach did that he probably would have been able to make his decision by now. He hasn't ruled out playing football completely, so one will only tell on that one.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-15-2005, 10:58 PM
The top 2 is obviously UND and NDSU and he won't make his decisioin until sometime after he gets release. *As of right now, the only way either can communicate with him are through current players on both the Sioux and the Bison. *He was quite upset that his coach didn't give him his release before his spring break because had the coach did that he probably would have been able to make his decision by now. *He hasn't ruled out playing football completely, so one will only tell on that one.

Did you start drinking early today??? Just had to ask ;D

silkamilkamonico
03-16-2005, 04:33 AM
wherever Koenig transfers to he will not be playing football. That coach completely twisted his story. And I don't know what kind of effort he gives, but I do know for a fact that he isn't a practice player at all. I personally hopehe doesn't transfer to NDSU.

SirHinn
03-16-2005, 07:23 AM
Did you start drinking early today??? Just had to ask ;D

I'm glad you care so much about god damn grammar, perhaps next time I'll check with my English professor the next time I make a post ::).

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-16-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm glad you care so much about god damn grammar, perhaps next time I'll check with my English professor the next time I make a post ::).

Well at least you stayed up until 1:23 A.M. Pretty late for such an early start ;D

SirHinn
03-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Ty did chose to play for the Sioux this week. Good to know the coach signed his release so he was actually able to communicate with the coaches.

Bison_Dan
03-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Ty did chose to play for the Sioux this week. *Good to know the coach signed his release so he was actually able to communicate with the coaches. *

Do you ready think he wasn't talking?

SirHinn
03-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Actually he wasn't talking with them directly. He was talking to them through Tommy Leikas and Jimmy Hoy. He certainly wasn't going to risk his eligibility by talking with them before he was released from his scholarship.