PDA

View Full Version : WDAY gets NDSU Football/Media contract

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 04:03 PM
ba bye KVLY wow, this is a shocker if I do say so myself.

ba bye MIDCO! (ndsu mens/womens basketball on WDAY XTRA) which isn't great, but it's free broadcast tv.

Hammerhead
05-13-2021, 04:08 PM
I'm not totally surprised since WDAY/The Forum already fly reporters to away games for pregame/postgame shows and are probably looking for ways to keep their brand going with the struggles newspapers and even local TV news have been experiencing.

Bison Fan 17
05-13-2021, 04:10 PM
No More Timmerman?

roadwarrior
05-13-2021, 04:11 PM
No more Timmerman?

garbageman
05-13-2021, 04:11 PM
How long until bisonville bitches about WDAY and their coverage?

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 04:12 PM

right now, you know the owners & 4-5 higher ups are UND grads right?

and WDAY Xtra reaches no one.

and mcfooly is still holding on there somehow

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 04:13 PM
So apparently WDAY took out the clause from their last RFP that said if the football team won less than 8 games in a season they wouldn't have to pay NDSU as much for TV rights???

Hammerhead
05-13-2021, 04:14 PM
right now, you know the owners & 4-5 higher ups are UND grads right?

and WDAY Xtra reaches no one.

and mcfooly is still holding on there somehow

WDAY xtra is on Midco. I don't know about other cable or satellite providers.

NDGooch
05-13-2021, 04:18 PM
I find it interesting that the announcement says they will broadcast 8 to 11 football games per year. I get that usually one game is the MVFC game of the week and exclusive to ESPN3, but what about the other two? Does it give them an out to not broadcast two road games a year? If so, that sucks!

04 Badger
05-13-2021, 04:19 PM
NDSU(Learfield) controls the announcers and the production.

Bison03
05-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Start the thread!!! Haha!! It will be interesting. Says they will broadcast 8-11 games. So are they saying they will not broadcast every game? I know there is a valley game of the week that kvly never got. Also, there is going to be a lot of pissed off college football fans that aren’t bison fans when they tune in to watch an Ohio State/Wisconsin game and get a Bison game. Right now, KVLY only had to deal with pre-empting Notre Dame football every other week.

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 04:23 PM
I find it interesting that the announcement says they will broadcast 8 to 11 football games per year. I get that usually one game is the MVFC game of the week and exclusive to ESPN3, but what about the other two? Does it give them an out to not broadcast two road games a year? If so, that sucks!

maybe Leerfield can get a game or 2 on FSNorth? Bally Sports or whatever. or push for ESPN 2 or ESPN U for a few games?

kab1one
05-13-2021, 04:28 PM
maybe Leerfield can get a game or 2 on FSNorth? Bally Sports or whatever. or push for ESPN 2 or ESPN U for a few games?

The Learfield expanded relationship is big time improvement.

Hammerhead
05-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Start the thread!!! Haha!! It will be interesting. Says they will broadcast 8-11 games. So are they saying they will not broadcast every game? I know there is a valley game of the week that kvly never got. Also, there is going to be a lot of pissed off college football fans that aren’t bison fans when they tune in to watch an Ohio State/Wisconsin game and get a Bison game. Right now, KVLY only had to deal with pre-empting Notre Dame football every other week.

This will be on the side channel so the regular ABC channel won't be pre-empted.

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 04:29 PM
The Learfield expanded relationship is big time improvement.

exactly. I'm hoping this is something that will PUSH NDSU into more exposure. we will see.

Kevin
05-13-2021, 04:31 PM
pls confirm no more timmerman

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 04:33 PM
I'm also happy to see basketball games no longer on Midco... assuming WDAY allows ESPN3/ESPN+ to stream rather than coming up with their own streaming service it'll be nice to be able to watch all the Bison MBB games again without needing another streaming subscription (hopefully).

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 04:34 PM
I'd love to read more but the damn forum firewall. (texted my fam to get a loggin info) Can someone run down the details? They better be on the regular channels and not an extra channel or this is a huge step back.

BTW, saw the number of games comment.....remember, when NDSU on the road, there will typically be a production by the home team; this is not an issue until proven otherwise.

Edit found this:

https://gobison.com/news/2021/5/13/general-ndsu-athletics-announces-multi-year-television-agreement-with-forum-communications.aspx

Good, football on regular TV. I'm sure having good OTA access for football was an NDSU deal stopper.

No more LT! No more LT! No more LT! Sadly, I'd bet this is bad for Brian Shawn.......I'd think Dom will do the games unless he doesn't want to. Hope they get a real color guy.

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 04:35 PM
I'd love to read more but the damn forum firewall. (texted my fam to get a loggin info) Can someone run down the details? They better be on the regular channels and not an extra channel or this is a huge step back.
The most important excerpt in my estimation:

The relationship calls for an annual broadcast of eight to 11 football games, approximately 40 men’s and women’s basketball games, seasonal coaches’ shows for football and men’s and women’s basketball as well as the airing of 15 Olympic sports. Additionally, Forum Communications will carry the NDSU spring football game, postseason TV specials for football and men’s and women’s basketball, and NCAA National Signing Day for football in December.

The majority of basketball and Olympic sports (volleyball, track and field, cross country, golf, soccer, wrestling, baseball and softball) will air statewide on WDAY Xtra.

“This type of engagement is unprecedented,” said Josh Rohrer, vice president of broadcast for Forum Communications. “The WDAY and Forum Communications team are thrilled to be the exclusive TV partner in this new chapter of NDSU athletics broadcasting. The partnership of two of the most storied brands in our region is an exciting prospect. It is our commitment to bring Bison fans the very best in broadcast, digital and written content in the region. Not only will we continue providing the very best in NDSU athletics coverage, we anticipate growing the broadcast experience to levels well beyond today’s expectations.”
Since they only call out basketball and Olympic sports for WDAY Xtra I'm assuming that means all football games are on WDAY. No mention of streaming platforms in the article but I can only hope it'll be ESPN3/ESPN+ since WDAY is an ABC affiliate.

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 04:38 PM
I'm also happy to see basketball games no longer on Midco... assuming WDAY allows ESPN3/ESPN+ to stream rather than coming up with their own streaming service it'll be nice to be able to watch all the Bison MBB games again without needing another streaming subscription (hopefully).

I can guarantee they are finding a way to tie this into their online subscription model. It may not be the first year of the contract but they will find a way to tie anything that doesn't explicitly have to be over the air and can be streamed to their new online sub accounts.

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 04:42 PM
I can guarantee they are finding a way to tie this into their online subscription model. It may not be the first year of the contract but they will find a way to tie anything that doesn't explicitly have to be over the air and can be streamed to their new online sub accounts.
You're probably right but I hope you're wrong. :)

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 04:43 PM

I'd be shocked for NDSU is not on ESPN3/+ for football. They seem happy with the nationwide distribution and the eyeballs drop would be huge if they went away from that. Zero percent chance that happens.

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 04:44 PM
I'd be shocked for NDSU is not on ESPN3/+ for football. They seem happy with the nationwide distribution and the eyeballs drop would be huge if they went away from that. Zero percent chance that happens.

I'm not talking football.

Anyone outside the WDAY Extra OTA market get ready to have a inforum.com subscription to stream basketball games.

TransAmBison
05-13-2021, 04:45 PM
I wonder if this could potentially change game time? Selfishly, I would love to have evening games again...

heffray
05-13-2021, 04:46 PM
The most important excerpt in my estimation:

Since they only call out basketball and Olympic sports for WDAY Xtra I'm assuming that means all football games are on WDAY. No mention of streaming platforms in the article but I can only hope it'll be ESPN3/ESPN+ since WDAY is an ABC affiliate.

I’m wondering if this would green light WDAY to carry the ESPN3/+ feed locally for those games?

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 04:46 PM
I'm not talking football.

Anyone outside the WDAY Extra OTA market get ready to have a inforum.com subscription to stream basketball games.

Again, I'd be shocked; same reason I already said. They would go from nationwide eyeballs to no one.

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 04:47 PM
Again, I'd be shocked; same reason I already said. They would go from nationwide eyeballs to no one.

NDSU Basketball had nationwide eyeballs?

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 04:49 PM
I wonder if this could potentially change game time? Selfishly, I would love to have evening games again...

It will be interesting, TAB. As all know, the standard college times are 11, 2:30, and 7ish. ABC would have games during anyone of those times. My guess would be they would stick with 2:30 as they would not want to go against the big prime time ABC games and NDSU would not want 11.

Bison56
05-13-2021, 04:49 PM
Need confirmation that Timmerman will be banished!

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 04:50 PM
The MVFC also has a contract with ESPN whereas the Summit League does not (outside of for the basketball tournaments). I'd assume that has an impact on whether these games for each respective sport is streamed on the ESPN services.

heffray
It will be interesting, TAB. As all know, the standard college times are 11, 2:30, and 7ish. ABC would have games during anyone of those times. My guess would be they would stick with 2:30 as they would not want to go against the big prime time ABC games and NDSU would not want 11.

I honestly wouldn’t mind 11am... I hate waiting until 230...

THEsocalledfan
NDSU Basketball had nationwide eyeballs?

Yes. We have alumni all over the country and world. I watch them all the time as does gully as does Bison teach as does etc, etc who do not live in ND. When you are a land grant school, you will always have a following.

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 04:52 PM

Too damn early for me when you consider setting up etc.......

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 04:52 PM
Yes. We have alumni all over the country and world. I watch them all the time as does gully as does Bison teach as does etc, etc who do not live in ND. When you are a land grant school, you will always have a following.

I'm not following what service NDSU basketball was broadcast on week in and week out that was national? ESPN+?? Sometimes

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 04:53 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/gGlkgFagsahSU/giphy.gif

11AM kickoffs are horrible for tailgating and that's all that matters! :)

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 04:54 PM
I'm not following what service NDSU basketball was broadcast on week in and week out that was national? ESPN+?? Sometimes
Up until this past season I'm pretty sure every NDSU basketball game Midco televised was streamed on ESPN+.

HerdThat!
05-13-2021, 04:56 PM
So long Timmerman! Don’t let the door hit you in the A-gap on the way out! And Gellner...G.T.F.O.!!!!
But would happily love to have Brian Shawn involved still

NDSUstudent
05-13-2021, 04:58 PM

I would rather the game kicked off at 11 pm, 11 am kickoffs are the worst. Destroys tailgating.

2:30 and 7 pm are the only acceptable times.

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 05:00 PM

ESPN+ carries nearly every game that NDSU has the rights or a summit game so I am not following your point. Even many of the games not listed on the site were on there.

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 05:11 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit......

It is an odd combination having bison1660 on the radio and WDAY on TV since they also have radio. KVLY and bison1660 regularly cooperated on coverage (play by play or analysist appearing on the other). Does this go away? Example, if Dom become play by play, after he finishes his radio show, does he ever do spots with Jeff on 1660? I'd bet no.....but that is unfortunate. I liked when Brian Shawn would come on.

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 05:12 PM

you"re fired

NDSUstudent
05-13-2021, 05:15 PM

It is an odd combination having bison1660 on the radio and WDAY on TV since they also have radio. KVLY and bison1660 regularly cooperated on coverage (play by play or analysist appearing on the other). Does this go away? Example, if Dom become play by play, after he finishes his radio show, does he ever do spots with Jeff on 1660? I'd bet no.....but that is unfortunate. I liked when Brian Shawn would come on.

Forum Comm sold their radio station, their employees will be free to do what they please. For example, Jeff has a golf show on 740 the fan.

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 05:17 PM

and most Minnesota Fans. Basketball NEEDS to be on FSN type or something bigger

NDSUstudent
05-13-2021, 05:19 PM
As long as the basketball games can be on ESPN3 again I don't care.

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 05:21 PM
Up until this past season I'm pretty sure every NDSU basketball game Midco televised was streamed on ESPN+.

ESPN+ carries nearly every game that NDSU has the rights or a summit game so I am not following your point. Even many of the games not listed on the site were on there.

Got it. I guess my point is simply that if you think FCC isn't going to find a way to make this about padding their online subscriptions you're kidding yourself. Like I said in my earlier post, be prepared to watch some NDSU basketball games on inforum.com if you don't get WDAY Xtra where you live.

I spent over a year of my time in that company on the committee to bring online subscriptions to life. Don't shoot me, it was happening whether I was part of it or not.

Also, glad I am not there anymore.

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 05:21 PM

Forum Comm sold their radio station, their employees will be free to do what they please. For example, Jeff has a golf show on 740 the fan.

They didn't sell it, they have an agreement with Flag Media or whatever to manage it.

heffray
05-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Too damn early for me when you consider setting up etc.......

I would rather the game kicked off at 11 pm, 11 am kickoffs are the worst. Destroys tailgating.

2:30 and 7 pm are the only acceptable times.

Yes, I understand it’s not a popular opinion but I’m impatient and an entitled millennial donchaknow...

NDSUstudent
05-13-2021, 05:25 PM
They didn't sell it, they have an agreement with Flag Media or whatever to manage it.

Whatever they did, they no longer give a damn about radio.

Hammersmith
05-13-2021, 05:33 PM

The news reports at the time heavily implied Flag would start by managing it, then eventually buy it. Don't know where they are right now in that process.

the_hog
05-13-2021, 05:33 PM
I think this is bad news for us in Western ND who only have OTA. Pretty sure ABC is not available over the air in Dickinson and Williston. Can someone confirm this for me? If so this is a major fail by NDSU and WDAY!

tjbison
05-13-2021, 05:59 PM

MVFC has a deal with ESPN3/+ plus so they will be on those channels, i dont see how they cant

ndsubison1
05-13-2021, 06:00 PM

Hes an employee of KFYR, so unless he were to get hired away, hes done.

tjbison
05-13-2021, 06:02 PM
The news reports at the time heavily implied Flag would start by managing it, then eventually buy it. Don't know where they are right now in that process.

correct, all the radio will eventually go to South Fargo in the FLAG family building and over time WDAY will belong to the FFM group. They are maintaining the WDAY call signs..this is all from what I have been told we all know shit can change though

Bison Fan 17
05-13-2021, 06:07 PM
Hes an employee of KFYR, so unless he were to get hired away, hes done.

I think we all could agree, For now we can work with that. God forbid he enters the Transfer Portal and WDAY picks him up

HerdBot
05-13-2021, 06:09 PM
This is great news. Chance of watching a game on Midco for me is basically zero. I'll have to figure out how to stream WDAY Extra but at least it's possible. The bigger games for BB can be moved to regular WDAY. As far as football goes, the KVLY production was really mediocre. Not as bad as we made it out to be but NDSU deserved better. I'm also glad this is staying LOCAL, which is very important.

Hammerhead
05-13-2021, 06:16 PM
I think this is bad news for us in Western ND who only have OTA. Pretty sure ABC is not available over the air in Dickinson and Williston. Can someone confirm this for me? If so this is a major fail by NDSU and WDAY!

According to this site, there is no ABC station on the airwaves in Dickinson.
https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/58601-dickinson-nd/

Herd Mentality
05-13-2021, 06:18 PM

Post of the year.

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 06:18 PM
KBMY should reach Dickinson/Williston

totoinfl
05-13-2021, 06:24 PM

Count me in the group who watches from Florida and several more I know in Arizona...so yeah a local streaming option would suck huge.

AKBison
05-13-2021, 06:30 PM
Shawn on the pxp, Izzo as color and Kolpack on the sidelines would be a major upgrade. If Mcfooly is involved with any of the fee based broadcast stuff they won't see a dime from me.

aces1180
05-13-2021, 06:32 PM
Logging back in for a few minutes...

I work for Forum Communications now, so sharing this article with the updated video which will answer a lot:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/7026972-WDAY-TV-Forum-Communications-awarded-rights-to-televise-Bison-athletics

AKBison
05-13-2021, 06:35 PM
correct, all the radio will eventually go to South Fargo in the FLAG family building and over time WDAY will belong to the FFM group. They are maintaining the WDAY call signs..this is all from what I have been told we all know shit can change though

Any chance 1660 gets molded into 740? That would be a huge upgrade on broadcast reach.

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 06:36 PM

I work for Forum Communications now, so sharing this article with the updated video which will answer a lot:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/7026972-WDAY-TV-Forum-Communications-awarded-rights-to-televise-Bison-athletics

he he he my thread about Long Lost Posters is paying dividends... welcome back aces you S.O.B !! haha

NovaBison
05-13-2021, 06:36 PM
Count me in the group who watches from Florida and several more I know in Arizona...so yeah a local streaming option would suck huge.

I am with you... it needs to be on either ESPN3 or ESPN+ -- given that NDSU has Learfield IMG College managing this, I am hoping they realize how important it is for us to keep it streaming on ESPN... but crazier things happen everyday.

The_Sicatoka
05-13-2021, 06:40 PM
For those of you who remember old WDAY-FM "Y94" that's now KOYY "Y-94" and part of Midwest Comm Group (KFGO et al).

WDAY-AM (WDAYradionow.com) is Flag Family Media (WZFG The Flag AM 1100).

WDAY-TV (ForumComm owned) is television only now.

740 The Fan is Midwest Comm Group owned.
Bison 1660 is Radio FM Group owned.
Those two are direct competitors.

TransAmBison
05-13-2021, 06:56 PM

https://www.inforum.com/sports/7026972-WDAY-TV-Forum-Communications-awarded-rights-to-televise-Bison-athleticsWelcome back!

Bison03
05-13-2021, 06:58 PM

I would think a relationship would still be there. I mean, they had Brian Shawn on not hiding the fact he was the tv play by play on kvly when people watching the game on tv is in direct competition to listening to the radio. As far as who would do play by play, I would think they would offer it to Izzo as he is their main play by play guy for all the high school championships they have aired the past 7 years or so. If not, Brian Shawn would be the obvious 2nd choice; and actually, those two together would be a solid combo. Throw in Kyle Emanuel on the sidelines and that is a pretty good team. I would think they would have a pregame show like kvly did. And having the coaches shows on the extra I would assume and having them easier to stream will be good. Just keep McFeely quarantined with Timmerman far far away!!

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 07:05 PM

They mentioned in the video that the Summit League has a streaming rights contract for basketball (and the MVFC has one for football also) so they won't be streaming WDAY broadcasts for football or basketball on inforum.com. I know the MVFC's streaming rights are to ESPN3/+ but who is the Summit League's streaming partner? If I had to guess I'd say Midco so is it possible those out-of-market for WDAY/WDAY Xtra are still going to have to pony up for Midco's streaming package to get NDSU basketball games?

El_Chapo
05-13-2021, 07:07 PM

what about Bemidji and West Central Minnesota? you can't get WDAY past DL/Fergus Falls. bad coverage... :(

NovaBison
05-13-2021, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the link... the video answered the streaming question --- Bison Media Group (managed by Learfield IMG College) owns the streaming rights to all NDSU Sporting events -- they said it will follow the conference agreements for streaming, so I think its safe to say that everything will still be on ESPN+, I think there will be a lot more basketball games next year than there were this year up there... curious if they will also stream so of the olympic sports too.

In the video, they alluded to stepping up the technology used to cover the games... curious of they might be installing a skycam or cable cam? That would really step-up the FB coverage, bringing them almost to ESPN prime time CFB games.

NovaBison
05-13-2021, 07:17 PM
They mentioned in the video that the Summit League has a streaming rights contract for basketball (and the MVFC has one for football also) so they won't be streaming WDAY broadcasts for football or basketball on inforum.com. I know the MVFC's streaming rights are to ESPN3/+ but who is the Summit League's streaming partner? If I had to guess I'd say Midco so is it possible those out-of-market for WDAY/WDAY Xtra are still going to have to pony up for Midco's streaming package to get NDSU basketball games?

On ESPN+ I was able to catch some midco produced BBall games... so I am guess Summit has a deal with ESPN+ or ESPN3...

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 07:35 PM
I wonder if the new tech they are talking about is the ability to super impose things on the field like first down lines, field goal range target lines and other info.

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 07:40 PM
On ESPN+ I was able to catch some midco produced BBall games... so I am guess Summit has a deal with ESPN+ or ESPN3...
Yeah, I didn't understand the rhyme or reason to it at all last year. It seemed like every USD game was on ESPN3 but NDSU games were hit or miss on there especially home games.

I wonder if the new tech they are talking about is the ability to super impose things on the field like first down lines, field goal range target lines and other info.
Superimpose first down lines so people watching can be reminded about how crooked some of the yardlines are on that turf. :D

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 07:42 PM
Superimpose first down lines so people watching can be reminded about how crooked some of the yardlines are on that turf. :D

First thing I thought of while I was posting that. LOL

BISONBRI53
05-13-2021, 08:12 PM
So long Timmerman! Don’t let the door hit you in the A-gap on the way out! And Gellner...G.T.F.O.!!!!
But would happily love to have Brian Shawn involved still

What aboot BETH?????

heffray
05-13-2021, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I didn't understand the rhyme or reason to it at all last year. It seemed like every USD game was on ESPN3 but NDSU games were hit or miss on there especially home games.

I thought the lines looked a lot better this year.

Professor Chaos
05-13-2021, 08:42 PM
They were a bit better. I sit in the endzone so it's hard for me to see if they're crooked but for the first home game against YSU I walked around to the west sideline at about the 20 yard line and you could tell they were still a little crooked but more like they were painted by an 8 eight beer drunk instead of a 24 beer drunk like they were towards the end of the 2019 season.

EC8CH
05-13-2021, 08:49 PM

How ya doing?!

EC8CH
05-13-2021, 08:50 PM
In the video, they alluded to stepping up the technology used to cover the games... curious of they might be installing a skycam or cable cam? That would really step-up the FB coverage, bringing them almost to ESPN prime time CFB games.

If KVLY had that they'd have slammed it into the back of the QB's head.

scbison91
05-13-2021, 09:17 PM
Won't have to hear that opening song anymore.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

AKBison
05-13-2021, 09:25 PM

This!.....

Gully
05-13-2021, 09:53 PM
Got it. I guess my point is simply that if you think FCC isn't going to find a way to make this about padding their online subscriptions you're kidding yourself. Like I said in my earlier post, be prepared to watch some NDSU basketball games on inforum.com if you don't get WDAY Xtra where you live.

I spent over a year of my time in that company on the committee to bring online subscriptions to life. Don't shoot me, it was happening whether I was part of it or not.

Also, glad I am not there anymore.

Ok, so what? I think I already have an inforum.com subscription and can't remember what it cost except that it was almost free.

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 10:28 PM
Ok, so what? I think I already have an inforum.com subscription and can't remember what it cost except that it was almost free.

And folks already disproved his theory. ESPN will have the streams.

TAILG8R
05-13-2021, 10:38 PM
And folks already disproved his theory. ESPN will have the streams.

Yep it was stated by WDAY/FCC that the streaming of Basketball and Football are under separate contracts and they aren't part of those.

I'm curious when those contracts are up and what the conferences are going to do moving forward. Maybe NDSU with Learfield can get something better??? Probably a big maybe.

KSBisonFan
05-13-2021, 11:00 PM

Maybe it's starting lineups with the player's picture and correct name? Maybe a play clock? Maybe showing 2 point conversion attempts and long TD passes? Holy cow, I'm excited!

NDSU92
05-13-2021, 11:11 PM
Dana Mogck better do sidelines again or I boycott

heffray
05-13-2021, 11:34 PM

That’s an interesting hill to die on...

heffray
05-13-2021, 11:35 PM

I always mute it during that shit. Makes me visibly angry...

heffray
05-13-2021, 11:35 PM
Need seed? Think Proseed.

scbison91
05-13-2021, 11:37 PM
Dana Mogck better do sidelines again or I boycottThose days were great.. guy goes 60 yards and then is interviewed trying to catch his breath

1978Bison
05-13-2021, 11:42 PM

Also horrible to drive in from out of town, say MSP or Bismarck, in time for an 11 AM game.

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2021, 11:53 PM

If only Eddie was still alive.....

NDSU92
05-14-2021, 12:06 AM
That’s an interesting hill to die on...

I’m nostalgic, what can I say

I’m also not old enough to remember those days, so

I just love the bits of him doing sideline reporting on the old “Century of Excellence” cam job video on YouTube

Gully
05-14-2021, 12:59 AM
Those days were great.. guy goes 60 yards and then is interviewed trying to catch his breath

and the old audio commercials on the radio between plays......"a big run by Simdorn.....'a business with no sign is a sign of no business, check out Cook Sign Company and see what they can do for you'...."this is a big third down for the Bison Dale"

wagsabison
05-14-2021, 01:01 AM

First series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjbison
05-14-2021, 01:23 AM
First series.

Pre game show

TAILG8R
05-14-2021, 01:35 AM
Pre game showFirst promo/commercial for the first game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tjbison
05-14-2021, 02:13 AM
First promo/commercial for the first game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Announcement of game crew....

CAS4127
05-14-2021, 02:27 AM

I think Roehl was running plays to the beneficial side of the “line to gain” the more I think about things. All play calls now make immediate sense.

Who wouldha known ... ??

GreenfieldBison
05-14-2021, 02:41 AM
I think Roehl was running plays to the beneficial side of the “line to gain” the more I think about things. All play calls now make immediate sense.

Who wouldha known ... ??

So just flip a coin then on away games with straight line fields?

ByeSonBusiness
05-14-2021, 02:42 AM

Absolutely. There is just no reason not to have a legend like him out there grinding

CAS4127
05-14-2021, 02:48 AM
So just flip a coin then on away games with straight line fields?

Your assuming he took that into consideration, along with his 6’ 6” TE’s against .... no one within 5 yards on 3 & 3.

But, yeah, I get your point.

That said, from what I understand (based upon some info. that I guess could be considered a bit “inside”) the O play calling and scheme is on the Entz/athletic department radar. What we saw this Spring is not what is expected next Fall. We’ll see ...

GreenfieldBison
05-14-2021, 04:38 AM
Your assuming he took that into consideration, along with his 6’ 6” TE’s against .... no one within 5 yards on 3 & 3.

But, yeah, I get your point.

That said, from what I understand (based upon some info. that I guess could be considered a bit “inside”) the O play calling and scheme is on the Entz/athletic department radar. What we saw this Spring is not what is expected next Fall. We’ll see ...

Yeah, the TE thing is a real head scratcher even for an x-o illiterate like me.

I was of the impression at some point that Randy was also weighing on play calls. That must be wrong though.

The_Sicatoka
05-14-2021, 01:43 PM

Technically, hasn't it already begun? :hide:

Bisonator98
05-14-2021, 01:49 PM
So looks like I'm going to have to get an OTA antenna for the extra. Hopefully the small indoor ones have improved. Any recommendations for an antenna? I'm about 20 miles NW of Fargo.

04 Badger
05-14-2021, 02:27 PM
Here are some ideas from C-Net. https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tv-antenna/ Also you should get great reception from WDAY their transmitter is located near Amenia ND

The_Sicatoka
05-14-2021, 03:57 PM
So looks like I'm going to have to get an OTA antenna for the extra. ... I'm about 20 miles NW of Fargo.

https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/58102-fargo-nd/

https://nocable.org/tv-listings/zip/58102-fargo-nd/

Hammerhead
05-14-2021, 04:13 PM
So looks like I'm going to have to get an OTA antenna for the extra. Hopefully the small indoor ones have improved. Any recommendations for an antenna? I'm about 20 miles NW of Fargo.

WDAY's TV transmitter is near Amenia so you should have no problems getting their signal with any antenna.

Bisonator98
05-14-2021, 05:44 PM
Here are some ideas from C-Net. https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tv-antenna/ Also you should get great reception from WDAY their transmitter is located near Amenia ND

https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/58102-fargo-nd/

https://nocable.org/tv-listings/zip/58102-fargo-nd/

WDAY's TV transmitter is near Amenia so you should have no problems getting their signal with any antenna.

Thanks guys!

imabison
05-14-2021, 05:46 PM

They were running ads today during Izzo's Hot Mic
He answered a lot of questions about the 8 to 11 games, depends on who is scheduled and conference game of the week etc.

Basketball will be a huge winner, and the Olympic sports such as baseball, softball, volleyball etc.

The ads might be running on 6-1 but I have only seen on 6-3.

THEsocalledfan
05-15-2021, 12:31 AM
They were running ads today during Izzo's Hot Mic
He answered a lot of questions about the 8 to 11 games, depends on who is scheduled and conference game of the week etc.

Basketball will be a huge winner, and the Olympic sports such as baseball, softball, volleyball etc.

The ads might be running on 6-1 but I have only seen on 6-3.

Did he promise no ads between plays? That was so horrible and a new low for KVLY.

bisonaudit
05-15-2021, 12:52 AM
I get that it’s just short hand for the rest of the department and it sounds better than non-revenue but it’s weird to me thinking of baseball as an Olympic sport.

Bisonwinagn
05-15-2021, 03:01 AM
Do you think they will stop interviewing people during games now and interrupting the plays. Or will that continue?

23Bison
05-15-2021, 03:40 PM
All football, all the time. Maybe they will surprise us with an interview of Lee Timmerman in the stands during a 4th and 1 situation.

THEsocalledfan
05-15-2021, 05:41 PM
All football, all the time. Maybe they will surprise us with an interview of Lee Timmerman in the stands during a 4th and 1 situation.

He'll point out how they should run it toward the boundary.

AKBison
05-15-2021, 05:43 PM
Has there been a through explanation of the 8-11 game clause debacle yet?

EC8CH
05-15-2021, 05:51 PM
Has there been a through explanation of the 8-11 game clause debacle yet?

Yes. FBS games, MVFC game of the week, etc. Zero worries all games possible televised. Latest Podcast explains it

EC8CH
05-15-2021, 05:54 PM

https://media.tenor.com/images/297cdd8ec887330a1c580d981355f2e6/tenor.gif

JCEE1990
05-17-2021, 01:36 AM

I rather like 2:30;starts. I’m retired, have BMs about 10:30, wake up at 11:30, shower of course, then I’m ready for a nap waking up just before the game.

scottietohottie
05-17-2021, 01:39 AM
2020 ncaa hockey champions...basically... is what I heard wday report. Actually where I got it from. What's Lee going to do?

heffray
05-17-2021, 02:12 AM
I rather like 2:30;starts. I’m retired, have BMs about 10:30, wake up at 11:30, shower of course, then I’m ready for a nap waking up just before the game.

Regular BMs at 10:30... you heard it here first, Bisonville.

GreenfieldBison
05-17-2021, 02:45 AM
Regular BMs at 10:30... you heard it here first, Bisonville.

Yeah yeah but, then WAKES UP at 11:30???!!

Is it just me or does there seem to be an ordering issue here?

In my best Bill Murray voice...
“Little help?!”

heffray
05-17-2021, 04:23 AM
Yeah yeah but, then WAKES UP at 11:30???!!

Is it just me or does there seem to be an ordering issue here?

In my best Bill Murray voice...
“Little help?!”

Yeah, I rarely shit and then think to myself, “an hour more of sleep sounds about right.”

EC8CH
05-17-2021, 04:26 AM
Yeah, I rarely shit and then think to myself, “an hour more of sleep sounds about right.”

Well he showers of coarse.

scottietohottie
05-17-2021, 10:44 AM

Who said you have to be awake to shit? Depends.

THEsocalledfan
05-17-2021, 12:04 PM
Who said you have to be awake to shit? Depends.

Speaking of Depends, you used to be able to call 1-800-DEPENDS and get a free sample. I did that for multiple of my friends in Rolette......

scottietohottie
05-17-2021, 12:53 PM
Speaking of Depends, you used to be able to call 1-800-DEPENDS and get a free sample. I did that for multiple of my friends in Rolette......

We're having a good laugh on snapchat. I'm seeding Maryville township rolette county and my location on snapchat says east rolette. East rolette eh. Lmfao

scottietohottie
05-17-2021, 12:57 PM

East rolette

THEsocalledfan
05-17-2021, 01:00 PM
We're having a good laugh on snapchat. I'm seeding Maryville township rolette county and my location on snapchat says east rolette. East rolette eh. Lmfao

Well, you are south of the pave.......

scottietohottie
05-17-2021, 01:15 PM
Well, you are south of the pave.......

Yeah and the biggest rivalry in North Dakota is now a coop anyways. East Rolette represents.

At least they're both still relevant as a coop and not like und.

Irrelevant for those that are slow.

2020 ncaa hockey champions.

23Bison
05-17-2021, 01:42 PM

East rolette

Looks familiar. Should say South Belcourt.

tony
05-17-2021, 02:50 PM

Or Mylo.

Man, that looks like how I remember 1988. Every night I'd take out my contacts and in the morning, there'd be a layer of dirt at the bottom of the case.

IzzyFlexion
05-17-2021, 07:49 PM
Either way....just a short drive from the Armourdale/Perth Metroplex.

tony
05-17-2021, 07:58 PM
Either way....just a short drive from the Armourdale/Perth Metroplex.

Now you're just making stuff up.... HOLY CARP! Armourdale.... ha!

WestDak
05-17-2021, 08:31 PM
According to this site, there is no ABC station on the airwaves in Dickinson.
https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/58601-dickinson-nd/

That is correct. The only time Dickinson and Williston ever had OTA ABC was when Forum let others run KBMY/KMCY for them. For a while in the first decade of the 2000s, the owners of the Bismarck Fox stations ran them and had low power ABC translators in Dickinson and Williston. Then, they switched to Reiten, (who owned the CBS stations in western ND) and ABC was on subchannels of the Dickinson/Williston CBS stations. This lasted from around the digital conversion in 2009 until Reitan sold the CBS stations to Nexstar (2015). Then those towns lost ABC. Forum seems to think having their stations on cable/sattelite in Dickinson/Williston is good enough unless others can pay for it.

ByeSonBusiness
05-17-2021, 10:23 PM

Fuck Belcourt. Hostile and Abusive (TM) high school sports crowds.

23Bison
05-17-2021, 10:41 PM
Now you're just making stuff up.... HOLY CARP! Armourdale.... ha!

Some people call it the Lake Tahoe of Towner Co. sadly I’m sure it’s about dried up now.

Hammerhead
05-18-2021, 02:35 PM
Since McFeeley was on the inforum Bison media zone pregame show, I'm guessing he'll be on the TV pregame shows if they have one.

TAILG8R
05-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Since McFeeley was on the inforum Bison media zone pregame show, I'm guessing he'll be on the TV pregame shows if they have one.

Possibly but I wouldn't be surprised if they go for a bit more polished look than camera on tripod in the parking lot for a broadcast pregame show(if they have one, like you said).

The_Sicatoka
05-18-2021, 03:46 PM
The way this thread is going soon the target will be Pierce County and the Balta-Orrin conurbation zone.

El_Chapo
05-18-2021, 03:58 PM
That is correct. The only time Dickinson and Williston ever had OTA ABC was when Forum let others run KBMY/KMCY for them. For a while in the first decade of the 2000s, the owners of the Bismarck Fox stations ran them and had low power ABC translators in Dickinson and Williston. Then, they switched to Reiten, (who owned the CBS stations in western ND) and ABC was on subchannels of the Dickinson/Williston CBS stations. This lasted from around the digital conversion in 2009 until Reitan sold the CBS stations to Nexstar (2015). Then those towns lost ABC. Forum seems to think having their stations on cable/sattelite in Dickinson/Williston is good enough unless others can pay for it.

KBMY will carry NDSU Bison this fall in both towns/markets i was told.

JMB
05-18-2021, 04:05 PM

Maybe we can get the Nickelodeon experience?

Hammerhead
05-18-2021, 04:07 PM

That's what I was thinking. As long as they don't put the play clock or other things in yellow which makes me think there is penalty flag, I'll be happy.

JMB
05-18-2021, 04:10 PM

East rolette

I do miss the days of driving tractor... Now I drive a desk.

THEsocalledfan
05-18-2021, 04:32 PM
I do miss the days of driving tractor... Now I drive a desk.

Does sitting in a tractor running on auto steer qualify as driving?

The_Sicatoka
05-18-2021, 05:01 PM
Does sitting in a tractor running on auto steer qualify as driving?

If you manually turn at the ends of the field, yes ... barely.

23Bison
05-18-2021, 05:35 PM
It’s pretty amusing when your talking to a farmer and their hired man calls him and says “the auto steer quit working, what should I do”? The look on his face was priceless.

tjamz
05-18-2021, 09:39 PM
The way this thread is going soon the target will be Pierce County and the Balta-Orrin conurbation zone.

Don't forget about Silva, Fulda, Fillmore... and maybe Baker if you really want to get into the suburbs!

tjamz
05-18-2021, 09:40 PM
It’s pretty amusing when your talking to a farmer and their hired man calls him and says “the auto steer quit working, what should I do”? The look on his face was priceless.

There's only one acceptable answer. STOP THE FUCKING TRACTOR AND GET JOHN DEERE OUT THERE ASAP!

El_Chapo
07-20-2021, 02:41 AM
this shit is why NDSU SHOULDNT OF ALLOWED FORUM/WDAY TO GET CONTRACT

MCFOOLY ripping on ndsu all the time & his vaccinated players witch hunt

and baldy shrimp joining in. Kolpack: SEC's fight on vaccination rates begs the question, can teams afford to have unvaccinated players?

not to mention izzos boner for all things ndsu vs und

and Marcils & executive team ALL UND GRADS

stupid

HerdBot
07-20-2021, 04:59 AM
this shit is why NDSU SHOULDNT OF ALLOWED FORUM/WDAY TO GET CONTRACT

MCFOOLY ripping on ndsu all the time & his vaccinated players witch hunt

and baldy shrimp joining in. Kolpack: SEC's fight on vaccination rates begs the question, can teams afford to have unvaccinated players?

not to mention izzos boner for all things ndsu vs und

and Marcils & executive team ALL UND GRADS

stupid

He is right. Do you realize the best baseball team had to forfeit the college world series because of a covid test. Shit we cancelled South Dakota a few hours before kickoff. Not getting vaccinated is selfish and cost the team a game and fans who drove hours, booked hotels, etc

nodak651
07-20-2021, 02:52 PM
He is right. Do you realize the best baseball team had to forfeit the college world series because of a covid test. Shit we cancelled South Dakota a few hours before kickoff. Not getting vaccinated is selfish and cost the team a game and fans who drove hours, booked hotels, etc

With the prevalence of false positives, they need to stop testing kids who don't have symptoms, vaccinated or not.

bisonaudit
07-20-2021, 03:21 PM
With the prevalence of false positives, they need to stop testing kids who don't have symptoms, vaccinated or not.

When you can get a reliable test result in 10 minutes at your kitchen counter this doesn’t seem like the right answer.
False positive rates on rapid tests are very small.

HerdBot
07-20-2021, 04:17 PM

The SEC has a rule that if 85% of the team is vaccinated, they won't do tests. Seems like the right move to me

But if they are below 85% vaccinated and someone tests positive, the game is forfeited and it counts as a loss. Seems fair to me. Gotta have policy that drives smart decisions and this does it

False positives are rare but not unheard of

nodak651
07-20-2021, 04:34 PM
The SEC has a rule that if 85% of the team is vaccinated, they won't do tests. Seems like the right move to me

But if they are below 85% vaccinated and someone tests positive, the game is forfeited and it counts as a loss. Seems fair to me. Gotta have policy that drives smart decisions and this does it

False positives are rare but not unheard of

When you can get a reliable test result in 10 minutes at your kitchen counter this doesn’t seem like the right answer.
False positive rates on rapid tests are very small.

Reliable is a relative term. If 1% of tests are a false positive in asymptomatic people, you're averaging about 1 person per football team with a false positive. That's a problem, especially if tests are being taken just hours before games or boarding airplanes. https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD013705.pub2/full

What bugs me is that they say they wont test if a certain percentage of the team is vaccinated, but people who are vaccinated can still get covid, right? And I believe the effectiveness of the vaccine is greatly reduced after a number of months, right? This, to me, will just give people a false sense of security. Is the goal to get everyone vaccinated or is the goal to prevent the spread of covid? If it's about preventing the spread of covid, then they should still be testing teams who are mostly vaccinated if they want to test asymptomatic players to begin with. The rule just seems entirely arbitrary.. why not just test unvaccinated players then? It's not like a team isn't partying and spending weekends with unvaccinated classmates as it is, whether a team is more than 85 percent vaccinated or not.

HerdBot
07-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Reliable is a relative term. If 1% of tests are a false positive in asymptomatic people, you're averaging about 1 person per football team with a false positive. That's a problem, especially if tests are being taken just hours before games or boarding airplanes. https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD013705.pub2/full

What bugs me is that they say they wont test if a certain percentage of the team is vaccinated, but people who are vaccinated can still get covid, right? And I believe the effectiveness of the vaccine is greatly reduced after a number of months, right? This, to me, will just give people a false sense of security. Is the goal to get everyone vaccinated or is the goal to prevent the spread of covid? If it's about preventing the spread of covid, then they should still be testing teams who are mostly vaccinated if they want to test asymptomatic players to begin with. The rule just seems entirely arbitrary.. why not just test unvaccinated players then? It's not like a team isn't partying and spending weekends with unvaccinated classmates as it is, whether a team is more than 85 percent vaccinated or not.

That's why they should only test if below the 85% rule like the SEC. It puts the accountability on the players and the administration

But I don't buy 1%. Otherwise every game would have had 1 false positive. Statistically there are too many players on a 2 team roster. We'll over 100 players

Bisonator98
07-20-2021, 04:51 PM
That's why they should only test if below the 85% rule like the SEC. It puts the accountability on the players and the administration

But I don't buy 1%. Otherwise every game would have had 1 false positive. Statistically there are too many players on a 2 team roster. We'll over 100 players

Why test at all? The people that care have already been vaccinated. If somebody gets sick sit them out just like any other illness.

nodak651
07-20-2021, 04:54 PM

I mean, I posted a link to the science. The accuracy, or lack there of, of rapid testing is why antigen tests weren't initially accepted by the NCAA last fall. Most football teams weren't using rapid antigen tests, so that could probably be your answer.

There were problems with non antigen tests as well, though.

From last August: The NFL had 77 positive COVID-19 tests from 11 teams re-examined by a New Jersey lab after false positives, and all those tests came back negative.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/nfl-has-77-apparently-false-positive-covid-19-tests-from-lab/2020/08/23/aaf3e95a-e5af-11ea-bf44-0d31c85838a5_story.html

HerdBot
07-20-2021, 05:12 PM
I mean, I posted a link to the science. The accuracy, or lack there of, of rapid testing is why antigen tests weren't initially accepted by the NCAA last fall. Most football teams weren't using rapid antigen tests, so that could probably be your answer.

There were problems with non antigen tests as well, though.

From last August: The NFL had 77 positive COVID-19 tests from 11 teams re-examined by a New Jersey lab after false positives, and all those tests came back negative.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/nfl-has-77-apparently-false-positive-covid-19-tests-from-lab/2020/08/23/aaf3e95a-e5af-11ea-bf44-0d31c85838a5_story.html

Edit. You said RAPID testing sorry I thought you meant all tests. My bad. I agree with you

bisonaudit
07-20-2021, 05:32 PM

The rapid test takes 10 minutes. If you blow a positive take 2 more you have an answer in 30 minutes.

nodak651
07-20-2021, 08:06 PM
The rapid test takes 10 minutes. If you blow a positive take 2 more you have an answer in 30 minutes.

Would that be following CDC guidance? Could have sworn a lab test is required to confirm. Serious question. Because taking two more tests would actually make sense. This strategy being logical is another reason that the NCAA not initially allowing these tests last fall pissed me off.

THEsocalledfan
07-21-2021, 07:53 PM
Why test at all? The people that care have already been vaccinated. If somebody gets sick sit them out just like any other illness.

This is the million $$$ question no one seems to want to answer. Most authorities are saying this will be endemic like the flu. Time to start acting like it.