PDA

View Full Version : It's About the Caliber of Play

CaBisonFan
04-22-2021, 05:44 PM
In my opinion the caliber of play has dropped off in the FCS... and perhaps at NDSU.

Bison fans, basically, are not stupid when it concerns this. They're accustomed to a very high caliber of football.

Opposing teams' rosters are spotty. Uniforms, on the average, are ugly. Opposing stadiums are 2/3 empty. What do Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and Western Illinois mean to the state of Illinois? Nothing. Yawn

Does anybody remember the linebackers that we used to have?... and the defensive linemen?

Where are you Ramon Humber?... and Joe Mays?... and Grant Olson?

Something has changed... even in Fargo. St. Thomas in the FCS... really? Who's next? St. Cloud? Mankato? Any of which would change recruiting to the south of us. Watch St. Thomas pluck a couple of recruits from us in the coming years. It'll happen. A couple of players who want to stay in the cities will stay at home. History should have taught us this. You say it won't happen? OK...

I absolutely hate the transfer rules.

Also... I would trade the playoffs to see the Bison play a Mountain West schedule.

No... I'm not a fan of the toilet bowls either. The NCAA is to blame for the bowl mess. There should be a second tier FBS playoff system.

There's my rant for the year. Not long ago I would have defended staying in the FCS... I've changed.

Hammerhead
04-22-2021, 05:56 PM
What Fresno State and San Jose State mean to the state of California when they have PAC-12 schools dominating the local media?

NDSU92
04-22-2021, 06:02 PM
In my opinion the caliber of play has dropped off in the FCS... and perhaps at NDSU.

Bison fans, basically, are not stupid when it concerns this. They're accustomed to a very high caliber of football.

Opposing teams' rosters are spotty. Uniforms, on the average, are ugly. Opposing stadiums are 2/3 empty. What do Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and Western Illinois mean to the state of Illinois? Nothing. Yawn

Does anybody remember the linebackers that we used to have?... and the defensive linemen?

Something has changed... even in Fargo. St. Thomas in the FCS... really? Who's next? St. Cloud? Mankato? Any of which would change recruiting to the south of us. Watch St. Thomas pluck a couple of recruits from us in the coming years. It'll happen. A couple of players who want to stay in the cities will stay at home. History should have taught us this. You say it won't happen? OK...

Also... I would trade the playoffs to see the Bison play a Mountain West schedule.

No... I'm not a fan of the toilet bowls either. The NCAA is to blame for the bowl mess. There should be a second tier FBS playoff system.

There's my rant for the year. Not long ago I would have defended staying in the FCS... I've changed.

You can have Ramon Humber and Joe Mays, I will take two top ten draft pick QBs. Caliber of play at NDSU has continued to go up, hard to argue that.

Rest of this sticks for me though. Honestly we aren’t trading up much if we go to the MAC, we are if we go to the mountain west. For me, I hope to move up because it may someday 20-30 years from now lead to a spot in a P5 conference (or future equivalent). Will probably never happen but we’d be foolish to not continue expanding the brand that is NDSU football and see where it takes us.

Get busy livin’ or get busy dyin’.

CaBisonFan
04-22-2021, 06:04 PM
What Fresno State and San Jose State mean to the state of California when they have PAC-12 schools dominating the local media?

... think Air Force, San Diego State, Boise State, Colorado State, Wyoming, and Hawaii. Wonder if Air Force would draw interest in Fargo? How about San Diego State when they're ranked? They might be the best program in California.

NDSUBowler
04-22-2021, 06:31 PM

NDSU is about to have potentially 3 top-50 picks in the NFL draft and you write this?

C'mon man.

CaBisonFan
04-22-2021, 06:37 PM
NDSU is about to have potentially 3 top-50 picks in the NFL draft and you write this?

C'mon man.You have your point... but look at the current roster. Where are the linebackers?

Kujava23
04-22-2021, 06:39 PM
... think Air Force, San Diego State, Boise State, Colorado State, Wyoming, and Hawaii. Wonder if Air Force would draw interest in Fargo? How about San Diego State when they're ranked? They might be the best program in California.

Can't use this argument----it was the SAME when were leaving D2---Illinois State, Youngstown St.--etc.. who were those teams to get fired up for---

mtoutfitter
04-22-2021, 06:39 PM
You can have Ramon Humber and Joe Mays, I will take two top ten draft pick QBs. Caliber of play at NDSU has continued to go up, hard to argue that.

Rest of this sticks for me though. Honestly we aren’t trading up much if we go to the MAC, we are if we go to the mountain west. For me, I hope to move up because it may someday 20-30 years from now lead to a spot in a P5 conference (or future equivalent). Will probably never happen but we’d be foolish to not continue expanding the brand that is NDSU football and see where it takes us.

Get busy livin’ or get busy dyin’.

Ok, Gus McRae....:biggrin:

Twincitybizon
04-22-2021, 06:42 PM
You have your point... but look at the current roster. Where are the linebackers?

I think they're fresh and soph and they're on the bench.

1998braves64
04-22-2021, 06:50 PM
You have your point... but look at the current roster. Where are the linebackers?

Oscar Benson from Hillsboro is on the sidelines (wasn't dressed last week he is a true Freshman). I think he could be a solid player. Probably not Mays/Humber/Board/Cox level though. I imagine he'll see some playing time this fall based on current status of LB crew.

https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/oscar-benson/9278

WeAreThePride
04-22-2021, 07:16 PM

They're in the NFL. New ones are coming.

HerdBot
04-22-2021, 08:04 PM
I agree with everything you said except for the talent level of NDSU. This years team is down a bit in talent but less than a year ago we would have been talking about Jabril Cox, Trey Lance and Dillon Radunz.

I think the game of football is changing a little too. The days of big linebackers seems to be going away for for 4 down lineman and a bunch of hybrid linebacker D backs.

Bison 4 Life
04-22-2021, 08:42 PM
St Thomas is almost as large, has a bigger market, and WAY more money than NDSU.

they should be insulted to be in with a cow college in the middle of nowhere.

JohnnyExtacy
04-22-2021, 08:53 PM

NDSU has had 2 of arguably their best ever teams the last 2 years. I'm not sure what you're talking about with this statement. Although I agree with everything else. This spring is basically an exception to every rule for pretty much every program.

El_Chapo
04-22-2021, 08:56 PM
YEA> everyone leaving the FCS that has Talent literally 50+ top end guys since last fall.

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-22-2021, 08:58 PM

Right. They talk about UST all the time on ESPN and the Tommies have put a ton of players in the NFL

Remind us to never allow you to be an ambassador for NDSU

Not sure what your point is, but you should change your user name to FCS 4 Life

Jim Puetz
04-22-2021, 09:00 PM
NDSU could have 3 picks in the top 50 for this year's NFL draft - Lance, Radunz, Cox; how can you ask where is the talent

heffray
04-22-2021, 09:03 PM
Yeah I would give it a few years before we say the talent is missing from our roster. LB size is down, sure, but they can play. Had a rough game on Saturday, but they can play.

Bison 4 Life
04-22-2021, 09:11 PM
Right. They talk about UST all the time on ESPN and the Tommies have put a ton of players in the NFL

Remind us to never allow you to be an ambassador for NDSU

Not sure what your point is, but you should change your user name to FCS 4 Life

This entire thread is shit talking NDSU. Get over yourself.

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-22-2021, 09:32 PM
This entire thread is shit talking NDSU. Get over yourself.

I only see a few comments doing so (yours included). The rest are complimentary of NDSU FB

Not sure what you mean by "get over yourself". My huge ego has no relevance to what we're talking about here

NDSU92
04-22-2021, 09:37 PM
St Thomas is almost as large, has a bigger market, and WAY more money than NDSU.

Wow if they’re insulted to be in a league with a state flagship institution, just imagine how pissed they’ll be when they find out all the other schools are teacher colleges!

El_Chapo
04-22-2021, 09:53 PM
im insulting the FCS and its loss of talent, not ndsu,
I will say on this current team/fall team we have 1 legit star Christian Watson. last year it was Trey Lance/Dillon Radunz

Son of a Bison
04-23-2021, 03:57 AM
I actually was hoping he could play some RB this spring. He could get it done.

Oscar Benson from Hillsboro is on the sidelines (wasn't dressed last week he is a true Freshman). I think he could be a solid player. Probably not Mays/Humber/Board/Cox level though. I imagine he'll see some playing time this fall based on current status of LB crew.

https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/oscar-benson/9278

HerdBot
04-23-2021, 04:28 AM
Saw an article that Eastern Washington may drop football or drop down to D2 or D3.

bajadanny
04-23-2021, 12:59 PM
Saw an article that Eastern Washington may drop football or drop down to D2 or D3.

Lots of problems in the western half of that state

Jim Puetz
04-23-2021, 01:14 PM

After reading through the comments to this initial post, and realizing how confused I was about the comments including mine, I decided to re-read the initial post. I'm glad I did because now I realize just how stupid the comments in the original post are.

1) yeah, caliber of play dropped in Spring 2021 because Fall 2020 was essentially cancelled and good players who are legitimately looking for opportunities to get into the pros either declared or moved up. If you are talking about caliber of play in 2020, you are nuts, go back and watch the games, you will see some pretty good play. Keep in mind that in 2020, we had Tuszka, in the pros, Lance, Radunz, and Cox, all going to the pros, Gindorf, Babicz, Volson, Watson, Luepke, likely going to the pros and we had teams sticking with us, I think the caliber of play was pretty good.
2) Who gives a fuck about uniforms, I'm sure other schools think our uniforms are ugly - really stupid comment if you are a real football fan. I'm presuming you are referring to 2019 attendance and not 2020 and 2021 because if you are referring 2020 and 2021 you are a complete moron. As for 2019 attendance, I'm not sure what games you were watching; if you look at the top schools in the FCS: NDSU, SDSU, JMU, UM, MSU, EWU, ISU, SHSU, etc. they filled the house in 2019
3) LB's and D Lineman, since Grant Olson - this is where you really show your stupidity: LB's - Beck, Deluca, Board, Thornton, Gee-Tucker, Stumpf, Marlette DL - Jones, Tuszka brothers, Menard, Ambrosious, Schaetz, Nate fucking Tanguay, Steidl, Karcz, Butler, Waege, McCormick, Tucker, Biegler. All of these guys were studs and would have started multiple years at any other FCS school and many at FBS schools.
4) Playing for a championship in the best conference in FCS now and for the near future trumps playing shit schools in the Mountain West. You excited for the annual game with San Jose State over SDSU? The Mountain West looks like the Missouri Valley, except you don't get to play for a championship if you win the Mountain West, you get to go to a bowl game that no one cares about.

You should have stepped away from the keyboard before you started this thread and thought more about what you wanted to say, because what hit the screen was pure shit.

Rock
04-23-2021, 01:20 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210423/e0f4ee5a7b1f1170ab0236d6e2cf64e6.jpg

MankatoBison
04-23-2021, 01:44 PM

No no no... you see you must IGNORE these thoughts. Remember- you just have to repeat, and believe! Lets recite the #FCSForever Code, shall we?

"I believe The FCS is the top level of football. I believe Recruits grow up dreaming of one day playing Illinois State on ESPN+ instead of a NY6 bowl game. I believe that No one watches those dumb bowl games like the "Cotton Bowl", whatever the F*Ck that is. We believe that Advertisers pay more for FCS advertising than for FBS advertising. We believe No teams have ever expanded their brand when jumping to FBS- has never happen, never will happen, and NDSU isnt good enough, on or off the field to be successful at the next level. We believe that even though we do not need a new stadium, that we, in fact, would need a new stadium, and would need to come up with other scholarships. We believe, based off of feelings, that both of those would cost over 12 trillion dollars per month. I believe that #FCS is the pinnacle of all of college football. Amen"

MankatoBison
04-23-2021, 01:47 PM
After reading through the comments to this initial post, and realizing how confused I was about the comments including mine, I decided to re-read the initial post. I'm glad I did because now I realize just how stupid the comments in the original post are.

1) yeah, caliber of play dropped in Spring 2021 because Fall 2020 was essentially cancelled and good players who are legitimately looking for opportunities to get into the pros either declared or moved up. If you are talking about caliber of play in 2020, you are nuts, go back and watch the games, you will see some pretty good play. Keep in mind that in 2020, we had Tuszka, in the pros, Lance, Radunz, and Cox, all going to the pros, Gindorf, Babicz, Volson, Watson, Luepke, likely going to the pros and we had teams sticking with us, I think the caliber of play was pretty good.
2) Who gives a fuck about uniforms, I'm sure other schools think our uniforms are ugly - really stupid comment if you are a real football fan. I'm presuming you are referring to 2019 attendance and not 2020 and 2021 because if you are referring 2020 and 2021 you are a complete moron. As for 2019 attendance, I'm not sure what games you were watching; if you look at the top schools in the FCS: NDSU, SDSU, JMU, UM, MSU, EWU, ISU, SHSU, etc. they filled the house in 2019
3) LB's and D Lineman, since Grant Olson - this is where you really show your stupidity: LB's - Beck, Deluca, Board, Thornton, Gee-Tucker, Stumpf, Marlette DL - Jones, Tuszka brothers, Menard, Ambrosious, Schaetz, Nate fucking Tanguay, Steidl, Karcz, Butler, Waege, McCormick, Tucker, Biegler. All of these guys were studs and would have started multiple years at any other FCS school and many at FBS schools.
4) Playing for a championship in the best conference in FCS now and for the near future trumps playing shit schools in the Mountain West. You excited for the annual game with San Jose State over SDSU? The Mountain West looks like the Missouri Valley, except you don't get to play for a championship if you win the Mountain West, you get to go to a bowl game that no one cares about.

You should have stepped away from the keyboard before you started this thread and thought more about what you wanted to say, because what hit the screen was pure shit.

Fact check, 12 billion% false.

El_Chapo
04-23-2021, 01:50 PM
P5
G5
FCS
D2
D3

NDSU is in the 3rd division and its being watered down like a drink at the OB.

WeAreThePride
04-23-2021, 01:59 PM
No no no... you see you must IGNORE these thoughts. Remember- you just have to repeat, and believe! Lets recite the #FCSForever Code, shall we?

"I believe The FCS is the top level of football. I believe Recruits grow up dreaming of one day playing Illinois State on ESPN+ instead of a NY6 bowl game. I believe that No one watches those dumb bowl games like the "Cotton Bowl", whatever the F*Ck that is. We believe that Advertisers pay more for FCS advertising than for FBS advertising. We believe No teams have ever expanded their brand when jumping to FBS- has never happen, never will happen, and NDSU isnt good enough, on or off the field to be successful at the next level. We believe that even though we do not need a new stadium, that we, in fact, would need a new stadium, and would need to come up with other scholarships. We believe, based off of feelings, that both of those would cost over 12 trillion dollars per month. I believe that #FCS is the pinnacle of all of college football. Amen"

FCS football was good enough for a whole lot of Bison greats.

Who the fuck are you to look down on their petty ambitions?

Bison 4 Life
04-23-2021, 02:18 PM
Me, looking for the checks from all these people who want us to just "go FBS"

https://thefader-res.cloudinary.com/private_images/c_limit,w_1024/c_crop,h_400,w_768,x_0,y_70,f_auto,q_auto:eco/DYsRzMgVQAEblU6_gbapjp/DYsRzMgVQAEblU6_gbapjp.jpg

scottietohottie
04-23-2021, 02:19 PM

https://thefader-res.cloudinary.com/private_images/c_limit,w_1024/c_crop,h_400,w_768,x_0,y_70,f_auto,q_auto:eco/DYsRzMgVQAEblU6_gbapjp/DYsRzMgVQAEblU6_gbapjp.jpg

I would have a check in the mail the next day if they announced the move. Actually might be the only way the checkbook ever comes back out for ndsu.

Rock
04-23-2021, 02:24 PM
I would have a check in the mail the next day if they announced the move. Actually might be the only way the checkbook ever comes back out for ndsu.

Ding ding ding. Bet teammakers reporting similar across the board (couple other things people pissed about as well though).

Ndsu allowed themselves to get in quite a pickle here. They will need to move up simply to help right the ship along with a few other things.

heffray
04-23-2021, 02:54 PM
Ding ding ding. Bet teammakers reporting similar across the board (couple other things people pissed about as well though).

Ndsu allowed themselves to get in quite a pickle here. They will need to move up simply to help right the ship along with a few other things.

I just put some pickled red onions in the fridge for some homemade ramen I’m going to make soon. Should be good.

BISONBRI53
04-23-2021, 03:53 PM

You look nothing like I thought!

totoinfl
04-23-2021, 04:02 PM

If they have the intention to work toward FBS...at least they need to announce that. Might give some folks the push they need. But staying mute on the topic doesn't help.

OrygunBison
04-23-2021, 04:03 PM

Is that what it looks like from the front when someone is twerking? I've never seen that angle before. Looks quite uncomfortable.

El_Chapo
04-23-2021, 05:15 PM

THIS Ill pay for season tickets for football/basketball. But everytime they've called me for 7 years now I say the same thing "Ill drop $2500/year if NDSU goes FBS"

HERE"S the real problem staying at FCS. anyone that's an All American now will get offers like this!!

Offers so far for Illinois State's 6-foot-6, 325-pound DT John Ridgeway, who is in the transfer portal:

-USC
-Michigan
-Tennessee
-Arizona State
-Iowa
-Penn State
-Texas
-Indiana
-Arkansas

BiZon22
04-23-2021, 06:40 PM

Lmfao as someone from the west side of the state I never even heard of St Thomas until I went to NDSU and met someone who transferred to “cow college”

Bison 4 Life
04-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Lmfao as someone from the west side of the state I never even heard of St Thomas until I went to NDSU and met someone who transferred to “cow college”

Guess how many people here think NDSU is Divison II?

Guess what? They make fun of Kent State here too.

BiZon22
04-23-2021, 06:47 PM

I’m assuming you’re from Minneapolis? The place with all the good publicity? Yeah I don’t really care what people from Minneapolis think enjoy your terrible city

Bison 4 Life
04-23-2021, 06:51 PM
I’m assuming you’re from Minneapolis? The place with all the good publicity? Yeah I don’t really care what people from Minneapolis think enjoy your terrible city

I live 10 minutes from Ohio Stadium where the actual big boys play, not Boise which is the absolute ceiling for any G5.

Rock
04-23-2021, 06:58 PM
Back to D2?

Guess it doesn’t really matter to people in Ohio...

CaBisonFan
04-23-2021, 07:06 PM

You should have stepped away from the keyboard before you started this thread and thought more about what you wanted to say, because what hit the screen was pure shit.... said the pot to the kettle.

BiZon22
04-23-2021, 07:36 PM
I live 10 minutes from Ohio Stadium where the actual big boys play, not Boise which is the absolute ceiling for any G5.

Cool... doesn’t explain the obsession with St Thomas

Jim Puetz
04-23-2021, 09:17 PM

12 B % false is crap. The point is that those schools still have great attendance, they aren't 2/3rds empty. I'm assuming you were referring to the original stat that all stadiums were 2/3rds empty is 12 B % false - then you would be correct.

Hammerhead
04-23-2021, 09:32 PM

People in Eastern North Dakota hear about St. Thomas on the local sport when they play Concordia. I know as much about St. Thomas as I do about Bemidji State and Mankato State which is absolutely nothing outside of sports.

Jim Puetz
04-23-2021, 09:39 PM

12 billion % false is a big number. Let's see how far off you are. Here are the average attendance figures for the aforementioned schools for 2019:

NDSU 17,440 capacity 19,000
SDSU 10,971 capacity 16,700 not close to 2/3rds empty
JMU 18,108
UM 22,545
MSU 17,281
EWU no stats, but their stadium is small and they still keep it full
ISU 9,242 capacity 15,000, not close to 2/3rds empty
SHSU no stats, I probably whiffed on this one

Others of note

Jackson state 33,762
JSU 16,829
Delaware 14,275
YSU 12,021 capacity ~20,000, no where close to 2/3rds empty

Twincitybizon
04-24-2021, 01:01 AM
12 billion % false is a big number. Let's see how far off you are. Here are the average attendance figures for the aforementioned schools for 2019:

NDSU 17,440 capacity 19,000
SDSU 10,971 capacity 16,700 not close to 2/3rds empty
JMU 18,108
UM 22,545
MSU 17,281
EWU no stats, but their stadium is small and they still keep it full
ISU 9,242 capacity 15,000, not close to 2/3rds empty
SHSU no stats, I probably whiffed on this one

Others of note

Jackson state 33,762
JSU 16,829
Delaware 14,275
YSU 12,021 capacity ~20,000, no where close to 2/3rds empty

I'm 100% sure those numbers are real and accurate, nobody would ever have the audacity to fudge attendance.....

Jim Puetz
04-24-2021, 01:47 AM
Taken from the NCAA website dipshit.

Twincitybizon
04-24-2021, 02:07 PM
Taken from the NCAA website dipshit.

Lol way to source one of the most ethically questionable non profits I've ever fucking heard of. Everyone knows colleges fudge attendance. Common knowledge (dipshit)

Jim Puetz
04-24-2021, 04:35 PM
Lol way to source one of the most ethically questionable non profits I've ever fucking heard of. Everyone knows colleges fudge attendance. Common knowledge (dipshit)

Whatever dipshit, it's better than what you got.

Twincitybizon
04-24-2021, 09:05 PM
Whatever dipshit, it's better than what you got.

If "official" attendance numbers is going to be your hill to die on you're at the little big horn buddy

Jim Puetz
04-24-2021, 10:50 PM
I'm not your buddy and you are still a dipshit moron.

Twincitybizon
04-25-2021, 01:32 AM
I'm not your buddy and you are still a dipshit moron.

Lol Im definitely right. Look at "official numbers" from the Mac and then count the tens of fans you can see in the stadium. You must be the only human alive right now that doesn't know this.

Kevin
04-25-2021, 01:36 AM
He mad bro.

Bison 4 Life
04-25-2021, 01:38 AM

St Thomas swings a huge dick around. They have more money than NDSU could ever hope to have.

oldmantutters
04-25-2021, 01:46 AM
St Thomas swings a huge dick around. They have more money than NDSU could ever hope to have.Explains your obsession with them

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Jim Puetz
04-25-2021, 04:00 AM
TwinCityBizon, you are a serious football moron. It's obvious you enjoy dancing around in your loft apartment, in South St. Paul, in your UND hockey sweater pretending to understand big boy football. Tomorrow morning when you read this post, after you eat your jelly toast with the crust cut off by your Mom, commit to never annoying us with your bullshit analysis of anything related to FCS football, or big boy football in general. Seriously, just shut up and move on because you will never make sense on this thread.

Twincitybizon
04-25-2021, 05:27 AM
TwinCityBizon, you are a serious football moron. It's obvious you enjoy dancing around in your loft apartment, in South St. Paul, in your UND hockey sweater pretending to understand big boy football. Tomorrow morning when you read this post, after you eat your jelly toast with the crust cut off by your Mom, commit to never annoying us with your bullshit analysis of anything related to FCS football, or big boy football in general. Seriously, just shut up and move on because you will never make sense on this thread.

You can be as big a bitch as you want, still doesn't make you right. I enjoy how committed you are to being wrong though. Like chapo levels of delusion. Remarkable

CaBisonFan
04-25-2021, 10:35 AM
We saw true Bison football in the second half of the EWU playoff game. It was hard-nosed as hell. Championship caliber.

SlickVic
04-25-2021, 11:23 AM
We saw true Bison football in the second half of the EWU playoff game. It was hard-nosed as hell. Championship caliber.

agree, gordy!

Bison 4 Life
04-25-2021, 04:40 PM
Explains your obsession with them

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

No, I just live outside the bubble and see things for how they are, not through green and yellow glasses.

OrygunBison
04-25-2021, 04:53 PM

It is one thing to dominate the LOS vs EWU. SDSU / JMU will be totally different. Perhaps I'm way off but I didn't see anything defensively yesterday that made me more at ease with eventually playing SDSU again.

WeAreThePride
04-25-2021, 05:23 PM
It is one thing to dominate the LOS vs EWU. SDSU / JMU will be totally different. Perhaps I'm way off but I didn't see anything defensively yesterday that made me more at ease with eventually playing SDSU again.

The defense was a different animal. Playing with savage pride.

OrygunBison
04-25-2021, 05:50 PM
The defense was a different animal. Playing with savage pride.

I get that but SDSU's O outschemed NDSU's D all game. Perhaps if Braun solves for that RB leaking out of the backfield but I think that's the perfect way to play against an aggressive Bison defense that has this many young, inexperienced kids playing. Perhaps the god of football can enlighten us on what he's seeing but to me, that defense from yesterday won't be able to do that against SDSU. (I have no idea if JMU is even real this year...)

My post is located in an unfortunate thread. I don't think there's a lack of effort at all happening on the Bison team. Yesterday DID show that. What an energized group in all three phases.

SoCalBison
04-25-2021, 06:02 PM

I lived in Columbus for 12 years. They think Michigan is D2.

CaBisonFan
04-25-2021, 06:51 PM
It had more to do with the intensity. Play like that, and we'll match up with either. Not saying we'll dominate them. But you're right... they're different than EWU.

Jim Puetz
04-25-2021, 11:40 PM
You can be as big a bitch as you want, still doesn't make you right. I enjoy how committed you are to being wrong though. Like chapo levels of delusion. Remarkable

TwinCityFawker, when are you going to man up and provide some data to support your baseless contentions? You don't like the NCAA stats, fine, what stats do you like? Put up or shut up.

CAS4127
04-26-2021, 12:53 AM
I get that but SDSU's O outschemed NDSU's D all game. Perhaps if Braun solves for that RB leaking out of the backfield but I think that's the perfect way to play against an aggressive Bison defense that has this many young, inexperienced kids playing. Perhaps the god of football can enlighten us on what he's seeing but to me, that defense from yesterday won't be able to do that against SDSU. (I have no idea if JMU is even real this year...)

My post is located in an unfortunate thread. I don't think there's a lack of effort at all happening on the Bison team. Yesterday DID show that. What an energized group in all three phases.

SDSU took major advantage of our ball pursuit. If/when we play them again, we may need to consider more of an option/assignment-type D. I think the Admin/Elf here mentioned that he thought SDSU designed/planned that play, and I agree.

SDSU may have even shown that on tape earlier, and it might look like “leak” on film, when, in reality, it’s a called/planned play. Dating myself, but we saw something real similar against Ashland (more of a speed-option look) in the semis in ‘88. On film it looked like true option, but we learned after about a quarter or so (maybe halftime adjustment) it wasn’t. They were just trying to “tax” the perimeter and use angles to their advantage, and they did so well until we adjusted and went to more of a man/player assignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonHorns
04-26-2021, 01:51 AM
I will just say I love being a Bison fan. They can play D2, FCS, FBS, or even D3 and I will be watching and cheering. All I need is to see a defense that loves to punish and an offense that is built to make other teams cringe at the thought of stopping it. Throw in a bunch of opponent fan bases that both hate and admire your team at the same time.
Besides that I derive joy from getting to watch the players develop over their career. The games themselves help me survive a week of work by giving me something to look forward to. On top of this I have a group of people I enjoy visiting with about the games and teams.
So, if you want to spend your time thinking it is all bad, you are missing the glory in front of you.
I will quote the bible for the second time this weekend. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might just find you get what you need."

Twincitybizon
04-26-2021, 03:36 AM
TwinCityFawker, when are you going to man up and provide some data to support your baseless contentions? You don't like the NCAA stats, fine, what stats do you like? Put up or shut up.

https://arktimes.com/arkansas-blog/2018/08/31/colleges-inflating-football-game-attendance-including-ua-and-asu

From 2018 they also reference a wall street journal article if you don't prefer the source. I know, pretty devious of me to plant an article in the wall street journal from 2 years ago. What can I say, I'm into the long con.

56BISON73
04-26-2021, 04:00 AM
SDSU took major advantage of our ball pursuit. If/when we play them again, we may need to consider more of an option/assignment-type D. I think the Admin/Elf here mentioned that he thought SDSU designed/planned that play, and I agree.

SDSU may have even shown that on tape earlier, and it might look like “leak” on film, when, in reality, it’s a called/planned play. Dating myself, but we saw something real similar against Ashland (more of a speed-option look) in the semis in ‘88. On film it looked like true option, but we learned after about a quarter or so (maybe halftime adjustment) it wasn’t. They were just trying to “tax” the perimeter and use angles to their advantage, and they did so well until we adjusted and went to more of a man/player assignment.

If youre going to be aggressive you have to have containment. This happened to us with Emanuel and ????????. DEs are crashing down the tackles just ride them down the LOS in effect collapsing the line play= a lot of running room.

Jim Puetz
04-26-2021, 11:42 AM
https://arktimes.com/arkansas-blog/2018/08/31/colleges-inflating-football-game-attendance-including-ua-and-asu

From 2018 they also reference a wall street journal article if you don't prefer the source. I know, pretty devious of me to plant an article in the wall street journal from 2 years ago. What can I say, I'm into the long con.

Good article.

semobison
04-26-2021, 01:16 PM

I agree. EWU was not as physical up front as SDSU or UNI for that matter. That is the beauty of playing in the Valley. If you do make the playoffs you are already battle tested!

SIU got pounded at home by the Jacks by 40 and they made the quarters and get a redo..on the road.

Twincitybizon
04-26-2021, 01:21 PM
Good article.

In fairness these articles were much easier to find a year or two ago but the keywords college football+attendance are now buried under an avalanche of covid articles so if you didn't know about them and tried to find them now it is understandable to miss it.

DakotaOkie
04-26-2021, 01:42 PM
I will quote the bible for the second time this weekend. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might just find you get what you need."
That must be the King Jagger version...

The_Sicatoka
04-26-2021, 04:00 PM

Are some schools reporting the "paid" attendance and not the "actual". You can use either per the NCAA manual.

The explanation starts on the bottom of page 3 of this: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Football%20Bowl%20Subqa%2012%208%2014.pdf

JMB
04-26-2021, 04:01 PM

I appreciate your insight CAS.

The_Sicatoka
04-26-2021, 04:02 PM
St. Thomas is a big deal in MSP and they have some serious resources and donors. That said, they're going to have some growing pains going to DI because their facilities aren't where they need to be and that's going to eat resources. And right now they sponsor about 22 varsity (NCAA) sports. I don't see how that will remain fiscally viable for them either.

ByeSonBusiness
04-26-2021, 04:04 PM
If youre going to be aggressive you have to have containment. This happened to us with Emanuel and ????????. DEs are crashing down the tackles just ride them down the LOS in effect collapsing the line play= a lot of running room.

Emanuel and Cole Jirik. Greg Menard(I think?) came after Jirik.

ByeSonBusiness
04-26-2021, 04:14 PM
St. Thomas is a big deal in MSP and they have some serious resources and donors. That said, they're going to have some growing pains going to DI because their facilities aren't where they need to be and that's going to eat resources.

They can eat all the resources they want, NDSU has a smaller Thanksgiving spread on the table and more mouths to feed. St. Thomas has a big spread and a small group eating.

If they want to be good at football, money will not be a hangup. Notre Dame got complacent for a long time, then decided to invest hundreds of millions.

Should be noted some of these schools have philosophical reasons for not making the investments or commitments (Harvard, Yale, Notre Dame to a lesser extent). But I can't imagine St. Thomas is moving to D1 for the sake of being D1.

reformedUNDfan
04-26-2021, 05:49 PM
They can eat all the resources they want, NDSU has a smaller Thanksgiving spread on the table and more mouths to feed. St. Thomas has a big spread and a small group eating.

If they want to be good at football, money will not be a hangup. Notre Dame got complacent for a long time, then decided to invest hundreds of millions.

Should be noted some of these schools have philosophical reasons for not making the investments or commitments (Harvard, Yale, Notre Dame to a lesser extent). But I can't imagine St. Thomas is moving to D1 for the sake of being D1.

St. Thomas is a tier 3 private school for rich kids who can't get into a real private school. Both NDSU and UND are as good or better schools.

They would be D3 still if their conference hadn't been pathetic.

WeAreThePride
04-26-2021, 06:02 PM
St. Thomas is a tier 3 private school for rich kids who can't get into a real private school. Both NDSU and UND are as good or better schools.

They would be D3 still if their conference hadn't been pathetic.

All schools teach from the same textbooks. St Thomas gets you some pretty damn high level connections.

reformedUNDfan
04-26-2021, 07:42 PM
All schools teach from the same textbooks. St Thomas gets you some pretty damn high level connections.

maybe if you are in to business administration. It isn't even a PhD granting institution. It's peer law schools are UND and USD, and thats its best program.

St. Thomas' connections aren't any better than any of the Dakotas. Its endowment isn't anything special and the ND schools are catching up. Its just a degree mill for dimwitted rich kids. Thats it.

56BISON73
04-26-2021, 07:54 PM
Emanuel and Cole Jirik. Greg Menard(I think?) came after Jirik.

Menard. Thanks.