PDA

View Full Version : Bison toughness

HerdBot
04-18-2021, 03:53 PM
What happened to the days of Grant Olson playing through appendicitis and a torn ACL. Or Travis Beck leaping over the line to sack Jake Waters and then dislocating his shoulder on the play and trying to make a tackle with 1 arm. Or him popping it back into the socket so he doesn't miss a play. Or Kuhnert self popping in his dislocated elbow. Or Cole Jirik playing with 2 bad shoulders the entire season and he couldn't lift either of his arms higher than his shoulder

Not saying that is advisable or even smart but those guys were tough.

Not saying we're not tough but we're definitely not this tough. And it's not like the players I mentioned played 30 years ago

El_Chapo
04-18-2021, 04:12 PM
toughness isn't on this team.
Hopefully this summer the boys from 2010-2018 make some visits at captain practices and tell them whats up

southcliffbison
04-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Hopefully this summer the boys from 2010-2018 make some visits at captain practices and tell them whats up

What do missed tackles and under thrown balls have to do with toughness?

Bisonwinagn
04-18-2021, 06:34 PM
What do missed tackles and under thrown balls have to do with toughness?

You could look at players like Hayes who simply quit on the team. There were others as well.

southcliffbison
04-18-2021, 06:45 PM
You could look at players like Hayes who simply quit on the team. There were others as well.

JMO, but don't confuse lack of execution with a lack of toughness. There were 3 plays, actually 5, if made on offense, and we win by ten points.

NDSUBowler
04-18-2021, 07:09 PM
Ridiculous thread.

You don’t know what players did or didn’t play through.

This fan base, specifically BV, is ridiculous.

wisco4
04-19-2021, 02:17 AM

My son mentioned this the other day, not so much a toughness thing but he was worried about a culture change at NDSU in regards to the guys
that have intentions of transferring up. He said when he was at NDSU that was never discussed, guys transferred down levels but never up because
they all believed that NDSU played the best brand of football no matter the level. Hopefully just a covid season side effect but it struck me when he mentioned it.

Professor Chaos
04-19-2021, 01:28 PM
I agree that calling out a team's toughness on a message board is pretty petty and lame.

But I do think you can call into question whether complacency has set in. Honestly, it's a marvel it's taken this long... I know complacency has set in with the fan base for years now. I also think that complacency can be correlated with a lack of leadership of this spring's team. You can make the excuse that COVID opt outs, draft opt outs, and transfers really exacerbated that problem it's a pretty good excuse but it doesn't change the fact that leadership is lacking and it has a noticeable impact on the mental fortitude of the team.

I don't think that's something you can just turn the switch on for in the fall either. It was bound to happen sooner or later but it's quite possible this team is just going be another good FCS team this fall instead of the dominant team we've grown accustomed to. That's honestly not the worst thing IMO... we've got a lot of fans who need a good dose of reality in that regard that have taken the success of the last few years for granted. I've said it before but I think the Bison fan base has turned rotten from how spoiled we've been over the last decade... a few "down" years would have a silver lining of hopefully clearing out that rot.

Twincitybizon
04-19-2021, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=Professor Chaos;1493332]I agree that calling out a team's toughness on a message board is pretty petty and lame.

But I do think you can call into question whether complacency has set in. Honestly, it's a marvel it's taken this long... I know complacency has set in with the fan base for years now. I also think that complacency can be correlated with a lack of leadership of this spring's team. You can make the excuse that COVID opt outs, draft opt outs, and transfers really exacerbated that problem it's a pretty good excuse but it doesn't change the fact that leadership is lacking and it has a noticeable impact on the mental fortitude of the team.

I don't think that's something you can just turn the switch on for in the fall either. It was bound to happen sooner or later but it's quite possible this team is just going be another good FCS team this fall instead of the dominant team we've grown accustomed to. That's honestly not the worst thing IMO... we've got a lot of fans who need a good dose of reality in that regard that have taken the success of the last few years for granted. I've said it before but I think the Bison fan base has turned rotten from how spoiled we've been over the last decade... a few "down" years would have a silver lining of hopefully clearing out that rot.

Mussimg leadership was very evident in ndsu giving up during the 3rd quarter of siu. Never seen that before