PDA

View Full Version : FCS Soon to be Developmental Program for G5 and P5

SDbison
04-16-2021, 02:05 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-council-passes-one-time-transfer-legislation-allowing-athletes-immediate-eligibility/

Why continue to support FCS revolving door of athletes as a fan or Alumnus? NCAA has just assured its own demise!

Hammerhead
04-16-2021, 03:23 AM
Or it could help the FCS when good players who are benchwarmers in the FBS want more playing time.

El_Chapo
04-16-2021, 03:26 AM
Or it could help the FCS when good players who are benchwarmers in the FBS want more playing time.

most of them aren't swallowing their pride and moving down. Players LOVE the FBS Stigma.

bisonaudit
04-16-2021, 06:19 AM
It’s just terrible that people getting to choose who they work for gets in the way of my entertainment.

SamsRams
04-16-2021, 11:05 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-council-passes-one-time-transfer-legislation-allowing-athletes-immediate-eligibility/

Why continue to support FCS revolving door of athletes as a fan or Alumnus? NCAA has just assured its own demise!

Want to compare the number of NDSU players in transfer portal vs G5 schools or would that negate your point and we should just ignore it?

For gits and shiggles here are the MWC teams and number of players that entered to portal this year (per 247 so the list I’m sure isn’t complete)
AF 4
Boise 4
CSU 12
Fresno 12
Hawaii 10
Nevada 8
NMU 11
SDSU 7
SJSU 5
UNLV 14
USU 15
Wyoming 2

If transfers upset you, going FBS will only hurt your feelings more

OrygunBison
04-16-2021, 01:23 PM
Yeah, being FBS most definitely does not solve the problem. Not sure why people think it would. It is just a part of college sports now.

Snowgoose
04-16-2021, 01:35 PM

Not sure I want guys that can't make it as there is usually a reason. I would rather have guys move up to us such as Braden Thomas. I am not sure why people are so enamored with athletes that have an "FBS" next to their name. Some guys don't have the drive to make it once they get to college. It is a hard game.

Plus we have been like 15 rated in FBS for almost ten years. Most guys at FBS might not be able to make our team.

Rock
04-16-2021, 01:39 PM
Yeah, being FBS most definitely does not solve the problem. Not sure why people think it would. It is just a part of college sports now.

Had NDSU played in the fall they might not be losing players mid-season. FCS looks like an absolute joke. So many calling to cancel the spring playoffs now... why because covid, or because it has become a joke? Would FBS be cancelling if they had played in the spring for safety’s sake?

FBS looses transfers sure. But how often are they one of the top players, starting for the team leaving mid-season during a championship run?

The numbers are there, but don’t act like FBS transfers aren’t different. Players move from one minor league team to another doesn’t mean they are rushing to go from AAA to AA.

MankatoBison
04-16-2021, 02:16 PM
most of them aren't swallowing their pride and moving down. Players LOVE the FBS Stigma.

Lakes, I was assured by the #FCSForever crowd that there is NO positive stigma of the FBS held by recruits. Believe them when they say, the ONLY thing recruits care about is winning FCS national championships. These kids grow up wanting to play Sam Houston State in a championship in a soccer stadium. Thats why we pull so many 5* recruits away from Clemson every year. Its what dreams are made of. Most recruits have never heard of the rose bowl actually. All about the (FCS) nattys baby

SDbison
04-16-2021, 02:18 PM
Yeah, being FBS most definitely does not solve the problem. Not sure why people think it would. It is just a part of college sports now. Nowhere in my post did I say going FBS would solve the problem. In other texts and posts elsewhere I also stated G5 transfers to P5 are an issue too. What I want is the NCAA to NOT final approve this stupid idea. These are college athletes not professionals......free agency should not apply. The ramifications will be ridiculous! But the NCAA will just move ahead (or should I say backward) anyway.

Gully
04-16-2021, 02:21 PM
It’s just terrible that people getting to choose who they work for gets in the way of my entertainment.

"choose where they work"? I thought they were student athletes? If they are employees showing up just to play their sports, why is Title IX a thing? I think people are trying to have it both ways.

bisonaudit
04-16-2021, 02:34 PM
Nowhere in my post did I say going FBS would solve the problem. In other texts and posts elsewhere I also stated G5 transfers to P5 are an issue too. What I want is the NCAA to NOT final approve this stupid idea. These are college athletes not professionals......free agency should not apply. The ramifications will be ridiculous! But the NCAA will just move ahead (or should I say backward) anyway.

Everyone in and around these sports is a free agent except the players.

bisonaudit
04-16-2021, 02:38 PM
"choose where they work"? I thought they were student athletes? If they are employees showing up just to play their sports, why is Title IX a thing? I think people are trying to have it both ways.

Title IX applies to the whole University and all of its students and employees not just the athletic department.

”student athlete” is a word salad invention of the shamaturism industrial complex.

JMB
04-16-2021, 02:39 PM

They are trying to stay ahead of an avalanche they see coming down the mountain. As a fan I am not super thrilled about what this could mean to my team, but I also understand I am far from impartial on this.

Hammerhead
04-16-2021, 02:40 PM
Everyone in and around these sports is a free agent except the players.

Exactly. A player could commit to a school to play for a certain coach and then that coach can leave any time he or she wants if someone pays their buyout clause. Why not stipulate the coaches have to sit out a year if they leave a school voluntarily?

bisonaudit
04-16-2021, 02:51 PM
Exactly. A player could commit to a school to play for a certain coach and then that coach can leave any time he or she wants if someone pays their buyout clause. Why not stipulate the coaches have to sit out a year if they leave a school voluntarily?

Because they’re management, and the people making the rules are management too. And as a result, clearly such a rule would be an unlawful restraint of trade.

Gully
04-16-2021, 02:53 PM

I guess I don't see them as the same. One is a person working in a job and the other is going to school and doing so for free or at a reduced rate because they participate in a sport. If they're working a job, then why do they have to be enrolled as a student and achieve certain acadamic standards?

If people want it to all move to minor league pro sports, that's an option, just move away from college sports completely. But that's not what we have now.

SlickVic
04-16-2021, 03:11 PM
Because they’re management, and the people making the rules are management too. And as a result, clearly such a rule would be an unlawful restraint of trade.

now do school choice

bisonaudit
04-16-2021, 03:19 PM
now do school choice

That’s the one where we pretend that it makes sense to spend public tax dollars funding private (often religious) educational institutions for K-12 students, because we elect to many people who don’t believe in, taxes and/or public education and/or the establishment clause.

SlickVic
04-16-2021, 03:38 PM
That’s the one where we pretend that it makes sense to spend public tax dollars funding private (often religious) educational institutions for K-12 students, because we elect to many people who don’t believe in, taxes and/or public education and/or the establishment clause.

id say people are pretending these "student" athletes are "worth" alot more than what they are for a "trade" 99% of them have zero chance at ever making money at

WeAreThePride
04-16-2021, 03:59 PM

Dear Lord in Heaven, you don't believe that do you?

El_Chapo
04-16-2021, 04:04 PM
Lakes, I was assured by the #FCSForever crowd that there is NO positive stigma of the FBS held by recruits. Believe them when they say, the ONLY thing recruits care about is winning FCS national championships. These kids grow up wanting to play Sam Houston State in a championship in a soccer stadium. Thats why we pull so many 5* recruits away from Clemson every year. Its what dreams are made of. Most recruits have never heard of the rose bowl actually. All about the (FCS) nattys baby

NDSU gets 3-4 kids a recruiting cycle with FBS offers, 1 maybe with a Power 5.
NDSU offers and misses out on 10-15 kids that go FBS every year.

Maybe going FBS allows you avoid that equation. Plus Most FBS players in the Portal are going to other FBS schools. There is a legit stigma among 18-21 year olds

SamsRams
04-16-2021, 04:43 PM
Nowhere in my post did I say going FBS would solve the problem. In other texts and posts elsewhere I also stated G5 transfers to P5 are an issue too. What I want is the NCAA to NOT final approve this stupid idea. These are college athletes not professionals......free agency should not apply. The ramifications will be ridiculous! But the NCAA will just move ahead (or should I say backward) anyway.

So if a student is on a scholarship for engineering and decides to transfer to another school should they not be allowed to study engineering for a year?

tolnabison
04-16-2021, 05:36 PM
You could also look at this way. High school athletes are going to take a back seat to transfers. I think the bigger question will be if they move the 25 scholarship hard cap for FBS programs. If they don't move that number there is going to be a large number of high school athletes that typically would sign FBS pushed out because programs can go grab a transfer and instantly fill a position. I think the FCS is going to see a large number of high school athletes that typically get signed by FBS programs end up playing FCS because their spots were grabbed by transfers.

heffray
04-16-2021, 05:44 PM
It’s an interesting conversation to weigh student rights against athletic dept fidelity. I honestly don’t know the right answer.

Professor Chaos
04-16-2021, 05:48 PM
You could also look at this way. High school athletes are going to take a back seat to transfers. I think the bigger question will be if they move the 25 scholarship hard cap for FBS programs. If they don't move that number there is going to be a large number of high school athletes that typically would sign FBS pushed out because programs can go grab a transfer and instantly fill a position. I think the FCS is going to see a large number of high school athletes that typically get signed by FBS programs end up playing FCS because their spots were grabbed by transfers.
Yeah, there's a lot of overreaction I think to all of this. FBS programs (and all programs for that matter) still are allowed the same number of scholarships. For every player that goes up there will be another that goes down. I've never understood the negative stigma some of our fans have around transfers... not all of them are troublemakers or selfish outcasts but coaches have to be on the lookout for those red flags just like they do for high school recruits. NDSU will have to utilize transfers more heavily going forward as they will be losing more upper classmen but they'll have the same advantages recruiting transfers as they would with high school recruits and hopefully they'll use it to get good players from D2 or other FCS programs or G5/upper FCS tweeners that they've had success with in the past at the high school recruiting level and that should help them offset players transferring out.

SlickVic
04-16-2021, 05:50 PM
It’s an interesting conversation to weigh student rights against athletic dept fidelity. I honestly don’t know the right answer.

the only ppl who should be getting paid r the players who dont graduate--------------let them transfer all they want, but the team that there with at the end of eligibility should b left "holding the bag" (to the tun of #20 buck an hour for 40 hour a week for 5 years for wasting all thier time------$150,200k straight up cash homey

HerdBot
04-16-2021, 09:47 PM
I don't have a problem with this. Teams will have to recruit the right kids then. That means sticking to your recruiting footprint even more than you normally would. Recruit kids that value location and education. Continue to focus on developing players that may have gotten passed over. It's always worked before. Although we'll need to be a bit more picky on players from way out of state as they are more susceptible to leaving.

mtoutfitter
04-16-2021, 10:11 PM
NDSU gets 3-4 kids a recruiting cycle with FBS offers, 1 maybe with a Power 5.
NDSU offers and misses out on 10-15 kids that go FBS every year.

Maybe going FBS allows you avoid that equation. Plus Most FBS players in the Portal are going to other FBS schools. There is a legit stigma among 18-21 year olds

Damn sure a legit FBS stigma among you as well...

scottietohottie
04-16-2021, 10:30 PM
Damn sure a legit FBS stigma among you as well...

Part near eh

Twentysix
04-17-2021, 01:10 AM
id say people are pretending these "student" athletes are "worth" alot more than what they are for a "trade" 99% of them have zero chance at ever making money at

Collectively they actually generate billions as college students, right?

Snowgoose
04-17-2021, 02:41 PM
Collectively they actually generate billions as college students, right?

They also cost billions as only two sports probably generate profits and overall only like 30 university’s break even. Crud every student already has to pay extra for student athletes so this perception that athletes deserve way more is bogus.
There is no university can afford to pay them a single dollar. Go to the Olympic amateur method and put in some rules around it so it isn’t excessive. Someone should be able to get paid for their likeness.

bisonaudit
04-17-2021, 10:17 PM
They also cost billions as only two sports probably generate profits and overall only like 30 university’s break even. Crud every student already has to pay extra for student athletes so this perception that athletes deserve way more is bogus.
There is no university can afford to pay them a single dollar. Go to the Olympic amateur method and put in some rules around it so it isn’t excessive. Someone should be able to get paid for their likeness.

Those 39 “break even” programs have better facilities and larger staffs than the professional teams. They can absolutely afford to compensate the players.

SlickVic
04-25-2021, 11:36 AM
Those 39 “break even” programs have better facilities and larger staffs than the professional teams. They can absolutely afford to compensate the players.

they should focus on graduating all of them first

bisonaudit
04-25-2021, 02:16 PM
they should focus on graduating all of them first

The highest paid government employee in the state is the football coach not the academic coordinator so you tell me what the focus is.

scottietohottie
04-25-2021, 02:27 PM
The highest paid government employee in the state is the football coach not the academic coordinator so you tell me what the focus is.

Hockey????

SlickVic
04-25-2021, 02:31 PM

thats fair, so start there---------why not hold them accountable 4 abysmal graduation rates instead of trying to pay people for something they can only do for 4 years?

bisonaudit
04-25-2021, 02:38 PM
thats fair, so start there---------why not hold them accountable 4 abysmal graduation rates instead of trying to pay people for something they can only do for 4 years?

I can think of about 4 billion reasons.

Twincitybizon
04-25-2021, 03:55 PM
The moment universities turned football into a billion dollar industry with facilities rivaling profession sports vs amateur athletics they did this to themselves. I don't blame students for wanting their cut. I don't blame then for transferring when schollies can be taken away, and coaches can leave. They're not indentured servants

B.Schlossman Fan Club
04-29-2021, 02:31 AM
So how does going to the G5 prevent or even reduce the star players from being sniped by the P5 programs? If a team is not at the top of the G5 then they are essentially at the same level as NDSU talent wise. NDSU being at the very top of the FCS allows them to snatch up the best talent from the FCS and FBS transfer portal. Players want to play and want to win. This transfer portal nonsense just needs to be reversed back to its original system.

southcliffbison
04-29-2021, 03:24 AM
I can think of about 4 billion reasons.

Well, let's hear them.

bisonaudit
04-29-2021, 04:05 AM
Well, let's hear them.

$1 * 4,000,000,000

Rock
04-29-2021, 04:40 AM
So how does going to the G5 prevent or even reduce the star players from being sniped by the P5 programs? If a team is not at the top of the G5 then they are essentially at the same level as NDSU talent wise. NDSU being at the very top of the FCS allows them to snatch up the best talent from the FCS and FBS transfer portal. Players want to play and want to win. This transfer portal nonsense just needs to be reversed back to its original system.

Playing in the fall would have kept them until the end of the season? Being G5 would keep kids that think they could transfer to G5? Unlikely now, but a couple down years, or more weird stuff fcs does and G5 doesnt.

Get a few more FBS games for ‘sposure?

And the G5 being “locked out” of the playoffs does have a bit to do with the non-con they schedule when they go undefeated.

Twentysix
05-04-2021, 11:35 AM

This is the boomer reaction to every change in human history. It won't happen so you better learn to live with it.

NDSU92
05-04-2021, 12:11 PM
The moment universities turned football into a billion dollar industry with facilities rivaling profession sports vs amateur athletics they did this to themselves. I don't blame students for wanting their cut. I don't blame then for transferring when schollies can be taken away, and coaches can leave. They're not indentured servants

You’re right, they’re not indentured servants. They can stop playing whenever they like and in a lot of cases the school still even honors their scholarship (which is oftentimes worth well over 6 figures). They’re supposed to be in school to get an education and happen to play football. It was never intended for them to be football players who happened to go to school.

Previous poster is right, they effed it up when they started admitting kids who would otherwise have no business being in that college, to enroll in programs that are only available to athletes, to live in dorms that are only available for athletes, to get tutored by advisors only available to athletes.

It’s really interesting, a semi-pro league would never work as has been shown by basketball and baseball. These players would still get paid nothing prior to signing an NFL contract because the only reason 20,000 people fill the fargo dome or 110,000 at the Big House is because the brand of the school.

You can argue the NCAA is a monopoly, but then so is every other professional sports league in the world. At the end of the day, if people don’t like it then build a semi-pro league and see what happens. Surely all the best players will leave college athletics to get paid $100k in alternative league? Problem is the league will never work.

Hammerhead
05-04-2021, 11:24 PM
The Bison just signed a o-lineman from San Diego who had some FBS offers.

bisonaudit
05-05-2021, 12:03 AM
You’re right, they’re not indentured servants. They can stop playing whenever they like and in a lot of cases the school still even honors their scholarship (which is oftentimes worth well over 6 figures). They’re supposed to be in school to get an education and happen to play football. It was never intended for them to be football players who happened to go to school.

Previous poster is right, they effed it up when they started admitting kids who would otherwise have no business being in that college, to enroll in programs that are only available to athletes, to live in dorms that are only available for athletes, to get tutored by advisors only available to athletes.

It’s really interesting, a semi-pro league would never work as has been shown by basketball and baseball. These players would still get paid nothing prior to signing an NFL contract because the only reason 20,000 people fill the fargo dome or 110,000 at the Big House is because the brand of the school.

You can argue the NCAA is a monopoly, but then so is every other professional sports league in the world. At the end of the day, if people don’t like it then build a semi-pro league and see what happens. Surely all the best players will leave college athletics to get paid $100k in alternative league? Problem is the league will never work.

I don’t know how you can say it (whatever it is) will never work when all you have to do is look at soccer anywhere outside of North America and you’ll see every club from the beer league up to the richest franchises and highest paid players in the world operating in one system. There’s plenty of room for Alabama to make a ton of money and pay their players and for Wisconsin Whitewater to not. We’re just a century behind the curve in figuring it out.

El_Chapo
05-05-2021, 12:40 AM
of the top 100 FCS players over 50% have left since last fall.

just hurts the division to have the top talent develop and not get to bear the fruit. we can all agree on that

bisonaudit
05-05-2021, 12:45 AM

just hurts the division to have the top talent develop and not get to bear the fruit. we can all agree on that

well since everyone has an extra year of eligibility but the NFL didn’t stop drafting players and writing them actual checks that the players can spend on whatever they want. I can’t say I’m surprised that smart and talented young men who know their value are looking to improve their circumstance.

mtoutfitter
05-05-2021, 02:34 AM

Top 100 according to who??? Just more agenda bullshit!

El_Chapo
05-05-2021, 02:45 AM
Top 100 according to who??? Just more agenda bullshit!

According to anyone with a brain:

just find the covid gone list thread

mtoutfitter
05-05-2021, 02:53 AM
Well, the brain part sure counts you out! Please show us this listing of top 100 FCS players. Hero Sports have one?

El_Chapo
05-05-2021, 11:45 AM
Well, the brain part sure counts you out! Please show us this listing of top 100 FCS players. Hero Sports have one?

covid gone list thread take out pen right it down

El_Chapo
05-06-2021, 01:41 AM
covid gone list thread take out pen right it down

another top 100 guy. maybe top 25 GONE from.fcs

2 time all American 6 7 245 Jacksonville State TE Trae Barry Has Entered The NCAA Transfer Portal As A Graduate Transfer.

NDSU92
05-06-2021, 12:06 PM
I don’t know how you can say it (whatever it is) will never work when all you have to do is look at soccer anywhere outside of North America and you’ll see every club from the beer league up to the richest franchises and highest paid players in the world operating in one system. There’s plenty of room for Alabama to make a ton of money and pay their players and for Wisconsin Whitewater to not. We’re just a century behind the curve in figuring it out.

Good thing you mention a century, that’s about how long it would take to list all the differences between amateur, semi-pro and professional soccer vs. American amateur collegiate athletics…

My understanding is that many other countries still have collegiate athletics, not sure about their amateur status though. But it sounds like if you’re wanting the international soccer model of professional sports, you should be more upset at the American pro leagues, not college.

But, if it’s so easy and we’re so far behind the times, go build it yourself! Great part about the world today is that if you have a business idea that’s so brilliant and a model that will allow you to pay potential employees thousands more per year than they’re being paid at their current organization, you can start your own league or take it to some entrepreneur and partner with them.

I think players should be able to be compensated for their likeness. I think it’s weird that they’re not. But openly have schools and boosters (shudders) decide how much money to give athletes will wreck college sports. And hopefully the harm would stay on the athletic side of the campus; my fear is that it would have large reaching negative affects on the public and private funding for the academic mission of each school.

At the end of the day we’re really only talking about a handful of schools anyways. Most FCS schools can’t even afford new knee braces for their linemen each year (looks north). The reality is that changing it won’t reduce the salary of the president, AD, or coaching staff (actually probably goes up), it won’t reduce the amount of money the school spends on advertising (again probably goes up), or reduce the amount of money invested in CIP projects. The money will come from either private or public money that would’ve gone to academics, or increased tuition and student fees that will harm already overburdened students.

bisonaudit
05-07-2021, 12:29 AM
I know it’s hard when you have to start paying for something you’re used to getting for free.

CAS4127
05-07-2021, 12:43 AM
I know it’s hard when you have to start paying for something you’re used to getting for free.

Can you send me your list of “for free shit”? I lost mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSU92
05-07-2021, 01:08 AM

Honestly expected better from you haha

bisonaudit
05-07-2021, 01:15 AM
Honestly expected better from you haha

most other countries don’t have anything that remotely resembles our collegiate athletic system so you’re wrong there.

they gave up on shamaturism and recognized it as a pathetic vestige of the aristocracy more than a century ago.

it’s very hard to compete against artificially cheap labor.

CAS4127
05-07-2021, 01:47 AM
most other countries don’t have anything that remotely resembles our collegiate athletic system so you’re wrong there.

they gave up on shamaturism and recognized it as a pathetic vestige of the aristocracy more than a century ago.

Good for most other countries. Couldn’t give less than a fuck about what they do.

And the USA became independent of other countries more than a century ago. History can be your friend, or you can be involved in repeating it.

Bisonator98
05-07-2021, 12:23 PM

No shit. Try finding workers when the government pays them for sitting on their ass for a year.

scottietohottie
05-07-2021, 12:31 PM
No shit. Try finding workers when the government pays them for sitting on their ass for a year.

No that's just people not wanting to live in rural North Dakota. We've already discussed this.

NDSU92
05-07-2021, 01:41 PM

Certainly fair points. At the end of the day Audit, I respect you as one of the better/smarter posters here and enjoy debating with you. If you think this is leaning more towards argument we can agree to disagree and move on. I enjoy hearing your opinion and the opinion of others here, but I certainly don’t want to add to the incessant bickering that has plagued this site for the last year.

That being said, I’m curious if you really think the “free” labor is free, especially since you seem to be pretty particular with the words people use. The education they get access to (a lot of times without academic merit) can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, even at the lower post-grad earning levels. Add in extra resources when it comes to tutors, dorms, equipment/swag, food, etc., and many kids on campus would agree that athletes have a pretty sweet deal. Hell I had friends on the FB and basketball teams, and a sister that played soccer when I was at Ndsu and they would all agree. None would say they weren’t well compensated for their efforts.

For me it boils down to this: universities have high value currency in the form of education that they can provide to their prospective athletes at a really reduced cost to the school. This benefits the athletes who are getting an actually free education, the schools being able to supply the education in bulk, and the other students who have absolutely zero interest in their student fees going to paying the salary of an 18 year old kid trying his best to put a ball through a hoop.

Just because some student athletes don’t see the value of the education they are getting doesn’t mean the whole system has to change. What it can mean though, is that those athletes can come together and start their own league. They can get paid in money, trident gum, Bitcoin, whatever they want. Hell they can still go to the same school they would’ve played at and still play on the side. Again, if you’re going to compare it to forced labor, then athletes should be pouring out of college athletics for something like that. For some reason they aren’t. IMO (which probably isn’t worth a damn) it’s because some would like to have their cake and eat it too.

bisonaudit
05-07-2021, 11:23 PM
Certainly fair points. At the end of the day Audit, I respect you as one of the better/smarter posters here and enjoy debating with you. If you think this is leaning more towards argument we can agree to disagree and move on. I enjoy hearing your opinion and the opinion of others here, but I certainly don’t want to add to the incessant bickering that has plagued this site for the last year.

That being said, I’m curious if you really think the “free” labor is free, especially since you seem to be pretty particular with the words people use. The education they get access to (a lot of times without academic merit) can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, even at the lower post-grad earning levels. Add in extra resources when it comes to tutors, dorms, equipment/swag, food, etc., and many kids on campus would agree that athletes have a pretty sweet deal. Hell I had friends on the FB and basketball teams, and a sister that played soccer when I was at Ndsu and they would all agree. None would say they weren’t well compensated for their efforts.

For me it boils down to this: universities have high value currency in the form of education that they can provide to their prospective athletes at a really reduced cost to the school. This benefits the athletes who are getting an actually free education, the schools being able to supply the education in bulk, and the other students who have absolutely zero interest in their student fees going to paying the salary of an 18 year old kid trying his best to put a ball through a hoop.

Just because some student athletes don’t see the value of the education they are getting doesn’t mean the whole system has to change. What it can mean though, is that those athletes can come together and start their own league. They can get paid in money, trident gum, Bitcoin, whatever they want. Hell they can still go to the same school they would’ve played at and still play on the side. Again, if you’re going to compare it to forced labor, then athletes should be pouring out of college athletics for something like that. For some reason they aren’t. IMO (which probably isn’t worth a damn) it’s because some would like to have their cake and eat it too.

From my perspective it isn’t the athletes who would like to have their cake and eat it too, it’s the institutions.

CAS4127
05-08-2021, 02:03 AM
From my perspective it isn’t the athletes who would like to have their cake and eat it too, it’s the institutions.

Your perspective differs from mine, significantly. I’m incredibly grateful and humbled that NDSU offered me the chance to be a student athlete and provided both athletic and academic scholarships, resulting in me having zero student/college debt; and. teaching me time-management and personal discipline life-skills that I’m not sure I otherwise would have gained but for what was provided to me.

There is a lot more than just $$ in play when a person is given the opportunity to participate in sports and academia at NDSU.

And, here’s the thing, I would have been just fine with NDSU “using my likeness” to fund raise. After all, NDSU was paying me to play football and get a solid education, plus the things I mention above.

Times have, apparently, changed for some, I’m just not sure it’s for the better .... but I’m ok with being a bit old-school.

I’ll also add this: the memories and feelings NDSU athletes leave with are life-long. There are very few things in life that are more exhilarating for a young college athlete than to play in front of or “for” 1000s of people who want you to succeed. It’s a “community” team effort that, if you appreciate it fully, carry over to adulthood, and, IMO, allow you to a better person ... when and if you want to be.

bisonaudit
05-08-2021, 04:49 AM
Your perspective differs from mine, significantly. I’m incredibly grateful and humbled that NDSU offered me the chance to be a student athlete and provided both athletic and academic scholarships, resulting in me having zero student/college debt; and. teaching me time-management and personal discipline life-skills that I’m not sure I otherwise would have gained but for what was provided to me.

There is a lot more than just $$ in play when a person is given the opportunity to participate in sports and academia at NDSU.

And, here’s the thing, I would have been just fine with NDSU “using my likeness” to fund raise. After all, NDSU was paying me to play football and get a solid education, plus the things I mention above.

Times have, apparently, changed for some, I’m just not sure it’s for the better .... but I’m ok with being a bit old-school.

I’ll also add this: the memories and feelings NDSU athletes leave with are life-long. There are very few things in life that are more exhilarating for a young college athlete than to play in front of or “for” 1000s of people who want you to succeed. It’s a “community” team effort that, if you appreciate it fully, carry over to adulthood, and, IMO, allow you to a better person ... when and if you want to be.

there are billions of dollars flowing through that system now and none of the benefits you mention above are incomparable with the players who bring in the revenue earring a little money from their exertions.

CAS4127
05-08-2021, 05:18 AM
there are billions of dollars flowing through that system now and none of the benefits you mention above are incomparable with the players who bring in the revenue earring a little money from their exertions.

Like I said, and apparently you put zero emphasis on—neither playing sports at NDSU nor life is all about the almighty $$ that you seem to bow and pay homage to. Does making a shit ton of money make you feel good? If it does, that kinda belies some of the other shit you thrown around here., and that I’ve otherwise mentioned. Which is it for you?

For me, it’s a fair balance and I try not to make my personal issues someone else’s.

Life doesn’t need to be dictated by those who think they know what’s better for people in whose shoes they have never been nor will ever (nor have the ability to) fill.

Mind your own shit, and meanwhile, let others control what they can relative to their life.

And look into/research your ability to stay where you currently are, and prosper, because the amount of shit you through at how horrible life is here in the U.S.A. suggests strongly that you should stay away and leave us alone.

America First! Audit last.

56BISON73
05-08-2021, 05:35 AM

Since you want to make it about just money you can look at as an investment-risk reward. The University is assuming all the risk whether the kid works out or not.
The percentages are pretty low. Fact is they are being compensated for their exertions even though for most those exertions arent generating any revenue.

bisonaudit
05-08-2021, 05:56 AM
Like I said, and apparently you put zero emphasis on—neither playing sports at NDSU nor life is all about the almighty $$ that you seem to bow and pay homage to. Does making a shit ton of money make you feel good? If it does, that kinda belies some of the other shit you thrown around here., and that I’ve otherwise mentioned. Which is it for you?

For me, it’s a fair balance and I try not to make my personal issues someone else’s.

Life doesn’t need to be dictated by those who think they know what’s better for people in whose shoes they have never been nor will ever (nor have the ability to) fill.

Mind your own shit, and meanwhile, let others control what they can relative to their life.

And look into/research your ability to stay where you currently are, and prosper, because the amount of shit you through at how horrible life is here in the U.S.A. suggests strongly that you should stay away and leave us alone.

America First! Audit last.

Of course it isn’t all about money. I acknowledged the legitimacy of all of the benefits you pointed to. It’s also a little bit about money though.

Sorry, but we’re coming home. That decision isn’t about money at all. Double disappointing for you.

SlickVic
05-08-2021, 06:48 AM
wats the going rate 4 a semi-pro baseball player id say your average moorhead bum makes more per day

SDbison
05-08-2021, 10:48 PM
Of course it isn’t all about money. I acknowledged the legitimacy of all of the benefits you pointed to. It’s also a little bit about money though.

Sorry, but we’re coming home. That decision isn’t about money at all. Double disappointing for you. Transfer anytime is the most stupid thing the NCAA ever did. All the issues it causes don't justify the change. Just like letting illegal immigrants flood thru our borders. When the ramifications of a decision are never weighed in advance the results have a good chance of being negative and destructive.