PDA

View Full Version : Glanville to coach Northern State?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-16-2005, 04:06 PM
This is pretty surprising! Found it on ESPN.com (sorry about the length)

Three others in contention at Northern State
Associated Press

ABERDEEN, S.D. -- Jerry Glanville's experience as a National Football League head coach makes him a good prospect for the top coaching job at Northern State University, players said after talking with Glanville this week.

Glanville was in Aberdeen to interview for the job at Northern State, an NCAA Division II program. He is one of four finalists for the post.

Glanville talked with school officials and met with the team, which ended the 2004 season 6-5, including a 5-2 record in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference.

"It was just exciting to have that high-profile of a guy come in and be interested in this position," said Brian Jark, who played his high school football in Aberdeen.

Glanville has coached for four NFL teams, including the Houston Oilers and the Atlanta Falcons. He has also been a sports commentator on television.

"I think when you get here, you go away with a different feeling than before you came," Glanville said in an interview. "Coming here, I didn't know what the strengths were. But after being here for two days, 2½ days, the strength is the people."

Quarterback Toby Korrodi said the team had a good talk with Glanville on Monday.

"He just flat-out told us, you know, 'This is what's going to happen; this is what I expect of the team.' And he's not even our coach yet," Korrodi said.

Defensive player Steven Edwards said he would like to work under Glanville to improve as a player.

"He was the guy that brought Deion Sanders into the league, so being a corner, I'm looking forward to working with him so he can help me develop, help my teammates develop and take us to the next level," Edwards said.

Glanville said he got a good feel for the team during his visit and that there were more plusses than minuses.

The other candidates for the Wolves post are Kyle Achterhoff, offensive coordinator at Northwestern College in Iowa; Lance Leipold, assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at the University of Nebraska-Omaha; and Paul McCord, special teams coach for the Buffalo Bills.

"Whoever comes in will do a great job and just work to make our team the best we can be," Jark said.

Ken Heupel, who was 44-33 overall in seven years as Northern's head coach, announced Jan. 19 that he was stepping down.

JBB
03-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Obviously Glanville is after Lennons job. *Once he gets his foot in the NSIC door, he figures he can move up to the NCC. *A lot of those schools are just as good as some DI schools and it would be unrealistic for him to think he can waltz right in to DII premier conference.

All kidding aside, if this is true its very exciting. *I think we should get them on the schedule for the 2008 season. *I would love to have Glanville in the Fabulous Fargo Dome and I think Coach Bohl would love to coach against him. *What a boost for regional football!! *Almost as good as moving up to Division 1.

Bisonguy
03-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Glanville has 10 years of experience coaching at the high school and college level. There was a interview with him on the WDAY 10:00 sports last night, and it seems like he really wants to coach at the college level again.

Probably a lot less headaches to deal with than the NFL.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-16-2005, 09:35 PM
That's what I'm thinking, he must just want to get back to coaching football and not dealing with all the crap that goes along with being a high profile professional coach. It sounds in the article like he really liked the people. The good thing is we won't have to hear him as a commentator any more!

Jackrabbit
03-16-2005, 10:54 PM
At first I thought the whole deal was nutty but maybe not. Northern is hurting. Enrollment is down quite a bit. Aberdeen is losing population as no interstate highways are near. They need something to create a little fire in that town and Glanville could be the kind of guy to bring in the crowds. Hope Glanville likes cold weather and low pay.

IowaBison
03-16-2005, 11:06 PM
At first I thought the whole deal was nutty but maybe not. *Northern is hurting. *Enrollment is down quite a bit. *Aberdeen is losing population as no interstate highways are near. *They need something to create a little fire in that town and Glanville could be the kind of guy to bring in the crowds. *Hope Glanville likes cold weather and low pay.

because supply creates demand, thanks for the economics lesson, rabbit :)

sambini
03-17-2005, 02:15 AM
MAYBE JERRY LIKES TO HUNT PHEASANTS?I THINK HE WOULD BE GREAT FOR THE WOLVES.

78Jackrabbit
03-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Glanville pulled out early. It's called "coaches interuptis."

BisonCountry
03-29-2005, 06:20 PM
I saw today that Jerry Glanville accepted a Def. Coordinator position with Hawaii. I wonder if that was a tough decision for him. ;)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm sure it was the money that made up his mind ;D

Let's see... South Dakota or Hawaii hmmm... tough one...Living on active volcanoes, or South Dakota... I'll take active volcanoes Bob!

Gamehunter
03-29-2005, 06:41 PM
I hear they have lava surfing no?