PDA

View Full Version : MSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:03 PM
1) Better, but not a lot better. I really liked how we responded after the INT. I loved Entz being aggressive with the fake punt to keep that momentum.
2) Zeb still questionable (outside of the last 30 seconds of a half). Guy has a rocket for an arm but seems like he Favre's it every single pass and I've yet to see him take his second read on a pass play.
3) Running backs still a concern as well. Dom showed some progress and our lightning & lightning combo is fun but struggles between the tackles.
4) Christian Watson, where are you?
5) Tutsie is a missile. Davis is legit.
6) Special teams, squad of the game. Great job guys.
7) Bobby is Bo without the neanderathal charm.
8) We will lose and lose badly to the upper teams in this conference if we don't continue to improve on offense but I feel much better than I did this time last week.

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:04 PM
Coaching staff is protecting Zeb. Not allowing Miller a single throw is telling IMHO.

scottietohottie
03-06-2021, 10:05 PM
Thank goodness every remaining game has 30 seconds before halftime. Hopefully they can figure out how to score enough in that time to win.

23Bison
03-06-2021, 10:05 PM
We are nowhere near where we should be. Idk, can’t even explain it.

ZHerd
03-06-2021, 10:06 PM
This offense is more talented than its production. Zeb and Roehl are both poor at their jobs. This team has some bright spots but we’re going to lose more games and I doubt we make playoffs. Just keep improving

HerdBot
03-06-2021, 10:07 PM
Great first half. 2nd half was working the clock

Defense. Pitched a shutout. 7 sacks. Physically did a number on those guys

Special teams - impressive AF

Offense - Ugly early on and then we ran the ball like men. The offense wasn't impressive, especially the passing game, but our running game and physicality won the game. They wanted nothing to do with out physical run game.3rd down passing game is so terrible.

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:07 PM
Entz in the postgame onfield interview: “our Freshmen are better than their transfers...” watched it again to make sure I heard it right.

scottietohottie
03-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Coaching staff is protecting Zeb. Not allowing Miller a single throw is telling IMHO.

Telling in telling us the coaches don't have brains or telling that we don't have a qb? It's Telling for sure. Just not sure what.

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Entz in the postgame onfield interview: “our Freshmen are better than their transfers...” watched it again to make sure I heard it right.

Yeah, that was a little cringy.

scottietohottie
03-06-2021, 10:10 PM

Meat head hc + meat head oc = Meat Heads.

heffray
Yeah, that was a little cringy.

Honestly don’t know how to feel about it. As a fan that’s how I feel, but I don’t want the HC saying it in a broadcasted interview, I don’t think...

Kevin
Each week I have fewer doubts that this will be Cole Payton's team from the jump.

EC8CH
Telling in telling us the coaches don't have brains or telling that we don't have a qb? It's Telling for sure. Just not sure what.

Exactly. Pick one I guess. We are ride or die with Zeb for one reason or another.

Bisonator98
03-06-2021, 10:11 PM
Our punting unit was outdstanding!

Our defense was OK, much better than last week but it was MoState and they had some pretty big missed drops.

Our offense..........oof not sure which is worse Roehls play calling or the execution but it's not good.

This is not a playoff team at the moment IMO. Will be lucky not to lose to the fawkers this season.

EC8CH
Each week I have fewer doubts that this will be Cole Payton's team from the jump.

I've been saying it from the jump. This will be the Lefty from Lincoln's team when he steps on Campus. Dude looks like a south paw clone of Stick.

Kevin
I've been against transfers in theory. Practice is proving me right. Shep was different as his school cannibalized itself.

IzzyFlexion
03-06-2021, 10:12 PM
3/13 on 3rd down.....ugh.

Kevin
I've been saying it from the jump. This will be the Lefty from Lincoln's team when he steps on Campus.

You sir are a liar and a charlatan.

Kevin
3/13 on 3rd down.....ugh.

That's my biggest concern as well. Teams like SDSU (or even UNI) that can put us in a tight situation will just feast on our inability to convert anything when it really matters.

Hell, today we ran an outside zone run on 3rd and 9. There's no confidence in Zeb on that staff.

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:13 PM
That's my biggest concern as well. Teams like SDSU (or even UNI) that can put us in a tight situation will just feast on our inability to convert anything when it really matters.

Hell, today we ran an outside zone run on 3rd and 9. There's no confidence in Zeb on that staff.

We have no pass game on any down. That’s a huge fucking problem.

Bisonator98
03-06-2021, 10:14 PM
Honestly don’t know how to feel about it. As a fan that’s how I feel, but I don’t want the HC saying it in a broadcasted interview, I don’t think...

It's a fucking stupid ass comment when you start a fucking transfer QB that sucks as bad as ours. Guy needs to keep his fucking mouth shut and coach these kids better.

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:14 PM
You sir are a liar and a charlatan.

Why Kev does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Kev, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it.

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:15 PM
It's a fucking stupid ass comment when you start a fucking transfer QB that sucks as bad as ours. Guy needs to keep his fucking mouth shut and coach these kids better.

Im trending this way... but part of me actually likes a little fire from our coach...

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:17 PM

That was kinda my first thought. Play your fucking freshman QB instead of the transfer then.

gizmo
03-06-2021, 10:17 PM
Will the real Bison football team please stand up!

HerdBot
03-06-2021, 10:18 PM

He said we had 7 freshman on the field at one time and our freshman were better than their transfers

heffray
Will the real Bison football team please stand up!

Hopefully next week.

scottietohottie
That was kinda my first thought. Play your fucking freshman QB instead of the transfer then.

Someone should tweet his wife that.

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:19 PM
He said we had 7 freshman on the field at one time and our freshman were better than their transfers

In or out of context, still not the best look, IMO...

HerdBot
03-06-2021, 10:20 PM

Patterson will be our QB next year and he's a transfer. We proved today you don't need the forward pass to win and he will be a beast running

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:20 PM
Why Kev does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Kev, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it.

We're good I just can't have you stealing my best ideas and white labeling them.

I have a brand to protect.

scottietohottie
03-06-2021, 10:21 PM

Plus he brought it up all on his own. It wasn't a question. It was a statement.

MontBison

This. Especially when the dude is gonna get his dick handed to him more than once this season.

Kevin
Patterson will be our QB next year and he's a transfer. We proved today you don't need the forward pass to win and he will be a beast running

Why do you think that? The guy is less accurate than Zeb without the deep ball upside.

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:22 PM
NDSUs run of success has been in large part to their insane success at QB. Instead of that luck running out, it actually got TOO good and put them in their present spot. Not surprising issues at QB finally are tripping them up but it is surprising how they became a victim of their success instead of dropping the ball. NDSU needs a bridge to Cole badly but I still ain't seeing it.

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:24 PM
NDSUs run of success has been in large part to their insane success at QB. Instead of that luck running out, it actually got TOO good and put them in their present spot. Not surprising issues at QB finally are tripping them up but it is surprising how they became a victim of their success instead of dropping the ball. NDSU needs a bridge to Cole badly but I still ain't seeing it.

No off the field mentor either. Brock, Carson, Easton and Trey all benefited hugely from that quarterback room.

heffray
Plus he brought it up all on his own. It wasn't a question. It was a statement.

Exactly. It was the opening statement... unprompted. A little unsettling.

HerdBot

Maybe he didn't know he was live. Gellnar stood there like a douche and didn't cue him he was live. It was kind of awkward

bisoningrandforks
03-06-2021, 10:25 PM
We have no pass game on any down. That’s a huge fucking problem.

exactly!.....also let the back up throw a pass for god sakes!

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:25 PM
I'd like to start an official Hunter Luepke is our starting tailback petition.

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Maybe he didn't know he was live. Gellnar stood there like a douche and didn't cue him he was live. It was kind of awkward

That could be the case, but it’s poor judgement either way.

HerdBot
Why do you think that? The guy is less accurate than Zeb without the deep ball upside.

Yes but he can run like Trey and the read option would actually be a threat. The defense ignored Zeb out of the formation. The diamond formation is now useless

All we threw today was 2 yard passes. Patterson could do that

EC8CH
No off the field mentor either. Brock, Carson, Easton and Trey all benefited hugely from that quarterback room.

Hedberg will be more important these next two seasons than he's ever been. Ndsu doesn't need to be great at QB but they damn sure need to be way better than they currently are. With now continuation of that mentorship of elite QBs, the coach needs to pick up the slack.

heffray
I'd like to start an official Hunter Luepke is our starting tailback petition.

Fuck that, start him at QB and run the veer.

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:29 PM
Yes but he can run like Trey and the read option would actually be a threat. The defense ignored Zeb out of the formation. The diamond formation is now useless

All we threw today was 2 yard passes

I agree with all that but that's why ECH8HE and I (with me having the idea first) believe that Cole Payton is going to be the man from day one.

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:30 PM

A balanced offensive attack is more effective the alternative. It’s way better to have a QB who can both run and pass. But I agree it’s better to have a QB who can run better than pass better. Less variables.

ZHerd
03-06-2021, 10:31 PM

Offense won’t get back to being great without a qb that can throw. Payton can do both well. Imo by far the best looking tape of any of our qb.

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:35 PM
Offense won’t get back to being great without a qb that can throw. Payton can do both well. Imo by far the best looking tape of any of our qb.

Agreed. Hate to bag on Zeb, sure he's a great guy, but he just hasn't demonstrated the ability to convert on money downs. NDSU needs a QB who can convert on 3rd down. Coles tape is prototypical NDSU QB material.

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:41 PM
Agreed. Hate to bag on Zeb, sure he's a great guy, but he just hasn't demonstrated the ability to convert on money downs. NDSU needs a QB who can convert on 3rd down. Coles tape is prototypical NDSU QB material.

I hate to do it too. I always wanted a fat QB at NDSU to cheer for.

HerdBot
03-06-2021, 10:42 PM

A true freshman won't start in year 1. Zero percent chance of that.... less than a zero percent chance.

Patterson can't play until the fall but he has a full season to learn. Payton is still in high school now

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:43 PM

Give me Jared Lorenzen all day instead of Zeb.

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:43 PM
A true freshman won't start in year 1. Zero percent chance of that.... less than a zero percent chance.

Patterson can't play until the fall but he has a full season to learn. Payton is still in high school now

False. There is at least a greater than zero percent chance of that. Best guy plays. Period.

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:44 PM

Why Kev, what an ugly thing to say.

https://i1.wp.com/decider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/tombstone_1284x856_2a.png?quality=80&strip=all&ssl=1

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:44 PM
False. There is at least a greater than zero percent chance of that. Best guy plays. Period.

Heffy is correct. Easton 110% would have started as a true freshman without the talent before him as well. Payton seems to be of that potential.

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:46 PM
Why Kev, what an ugly thing to say.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/totalwar-ar/images/1/14/Doc_Holliday.png/revision/latest?cb=20200617163501

That picture doesn't work but as a fat guy I have a right to adequate representation.

HerdBot

From day 1 he's the 5th best QB because he hasn't learned the playback

And he's a lefty which fucks up your entire offense

MNLonghorn10
I’m not going to throw zeb under the bus like coach or some fans already have. I’ll throw the “zeb sucks” comment out there but holy shit... this guy has the most predictable offense to run ever. Run run pass. His 3rd and longs aren’t exactly ideal scenarios

A pass on first down would be amazing

Kevin

Wow that's borderline racism against lefties.

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:47 PM

It will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:48 PM
I’m not going to throw zeb under the bus like coach or some fans already have. I’ll throw the “zeb sucks” comment out there but holy shit... this guy has the most predictable offense to run ever. Run run pass. His 3rd and longs aren’t exactly ideal scenarios

That's a good point. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus either (for this year at least) but we need to see what Miller can do.

Also, I'd really like to see him go through his progressions when they do let him throw. He locks then fires a missile for better or worse.

Kevin
03-06-2021, 10:48 PM
It will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

It's also worth noting that Cole can play in 4 games without risking his eligibility. I hope we take full advantage of that.

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:49 PM
Wow that's borderline racism against lefties.

Well they have all been touched in the womb by the devil. But if he can convert a third down pass... Hail Satan oooh move those chains!

HerdBot
03-06-2021, 10:51 PM
It's also worth noting that Cole can play in 4 games without risking his eligibility. I hope we take full advantage of that.

Absolutely. Like garbage time snap so he can learn basics

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 10:53 PM
Absolutely. Like garbage time snap so he can learn basics

Quincy is a stop gap. Maybe he's needed, maybe not, but Cole is the plan. Always has been.

Jim Puetz
03-06-2021, 10:54 PM
Is it part of the game plan/playbook for Kobe Johnson to stumble or slip on most running plays?

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:55 PM

It’s splitting hairs, you might be right.

heffray
03-06-2021, 10:56 PM
Is it part of the game plan/playbook for Kobe Johnson to stumble or slip on most running plays?

That’s why we recruit in rural areas. Keeps everyone else sharp.

23Bison
03-06-2021, 11:00 PM
Would like to see TK Marshall next week at RB. Basically the same size as Gonella. 5’11” 200

heffray
03-06-2021, 11:01 PM
Would like to see TK Marshall next week at RB. Basically the same size as Gonella. 5’11” 200

Gonnella fucks. Need more of any version of him.

HerdistheWord
03-06-2021, 11:17 PM
Gonnella is the triple threat of balance, power, and speed. He will be a feature back at some point if he stays with NDSU. Zeb Noland doesn’t have that “it” factor. He seems timid and unable to convert anything when needed. His deep pass to Henderson was nice, but you don’t win consistently with one nice deep throw per game.

ZHerd
03-06-2021, 11:25 PM

Yep. I think Zeb is bad but playcalling is predictable and really bad.

NDSU92
03-06-2021, 11:25 PM

He can bench almost twice his body weight. When LT said it I definitely did not believe it, but that kid is so strong for his size. He runs with the strength of someone 50lbs heavier

EC8CH
03-06-2021, 11:34 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/50oodo.jpg

https://twitter.com/ColePayton9/status/1350897059491176448?s=19

tony
03-06-2021, 11:35 PM
That was a step in the right direction. Still a lot of things that have to come together - offense just isn't clicking yet.

HerdBot
03-06-2021, 11:45 PM
Quincy is a stop gap. Maybe he's needed, maybe not, but Cole is the plan. Always has been.

Cole is the likely next starter but true freshman don't start at QB.

Quincy will push Zeb and Miller. Zeb will know the offense the best but has the most physical limitations. Miller will know the offense the 2nd best but he's only 6-1 205. Payton is probably the most well rounded but his lack of experience is big. Quincy Patterson is 6-3, 235 is athletic as he'll and has been a QB before with 3 years of college experience. His running abilities make our offense more Trey and Easton like

HerdBot
03-06-2021, 11:49 PM

Nobody must have gotten the Silicon Valley reference lol. I award you with positive rep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_uMEE7eaaUA&feature=youtu.be

Kevin
03-06-2021, 11:51 PM

Quincy will push Zeb and Miller. Zeb will know the offense the best but has the most physical limitations. Miller will know the offense the 2nd best but he's only 6-1 205. Payton is probably the most well rounded but his lack of experience is big. Quincy Patterson is 6-3, 235 is athletic as he'll and has been a QB before with 3 years of college experience. His running abilities make our offense more Trey and Easton like

I don’t see why he can’t start as a freshman. The offense he ran in high school is probably more complex than what we’ve run since klieman left.

DCinOK
03-06-2021, 11:52 PM
Passing game is 3 yard throws or a Hail Mary before half. That won't win a Championship.
--How in the blue blazes is Christian Watson a non-factor in 3 games?! He would have as big an impact if he was sitting in the stands.

EC8CH
03-07-2021, 12:04 AM

I'm not seeing the advantage that Zeb is providing currently with his experience with the offense. Cole best be prepared to compete for playing time this fall.

heffray
03-07-2021, 12:09 AM
Nobody must have gotten the Silicon Valley reference lol. I award you with positive rep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_uMEE7eaaUA&feature=youtu.be

And it appears I must spread rep because you also fuck. ;)

Professor Chaos
03-07-2021, 12:11 AM
I think we'll have plenty of time this summer to ruminate over who should be the starter at QB in the fall between Zeb, Cam, Quincy, or Cole (might as well throw Logan Graetz in there and make it a party). The best player will start but I really hope we don't have to trade Cole's best year of football for his worst year by not redshirting him in the fall.

Kevin
03-07-2021, 12:11 AM
And it appears I must spread rep because you also fuck. ;)

How much rep do you give a day Heffy? You rep me constantly and I have to wait like months before it'll let me send EC8HEH private rep notes again.

SDbison
03-07-2021, 12:12 AM
1. What's up with the crap offensive plays and execution in the 2nd half?
2. Why is Entz constantly substituting. Don't know who the starters are yet? How can the starters ever gel?
3. Roehl and Entz are the worst coaches we have had at those positions in many years!
4. Still not passing to our TE enough.
5. Our offense is inept and offensive compared to the past 10 years.
6. Hey Entz, wtf are you doing during the 2nd half? Sitting on the lead? Afraid to score? Your team needs practice sustaining drives and 25-0 is not the time to get ultra conservative.
7. Never know when or if this defense will stiffen up and stop the run or pass plays. Good teams will run and pass at will.
8. Zeb still looks lost and his passes are all over the place.

Kevin
03-07-2021, 12:13 AM
If we lose to El Forko Grande I may not log on to the internet for a few years. Decade maybe.

It'll be an easy way to get rid of me.

heffray
03-07-2021, 12:16 AM
How much rep do you give a day Heffy? You rep me constantly and I have to wait like months before it'll let me send EC8HEH private rep notes again.

For all the rep I give you I wish I could give more, Kev. :)

heffray
03-07-2021, 12:17 AM
If we lose to El Forko Grande I may not log on to the internet for a few years. Decade maybe.

It'll be an easy way to get rid of me.

Same. I’ll quit internet for a while.

EC8CH
03-07-2021, 12:37 AM
https://twitter.com/GarretWegner/status/1368356101238972417?s=19

McAfee having a mullet sporting punter some might know on his podcast.

gavin2126
03-07-2021, 12:58 AM
Today was an improvement, at least in the first half. Still a lot to work on for sure, but the shutout is a good omen. In 8 of the 11 seasons we’ve been playoff eligible in FCS, we’ve pitched at least 1 shutout. You’ll probably only need 1 guess which 3 seasons we didn’t have one.

El_Chapo
03-07-2021, 01:11 AM
https://twitter.com/GarretWegner/status/1368356101238972417?s=19

McAfee having a mullet sporting punter some might know on his podcast.

LOVE THIS!!

post game thoughts.

why didn't the coaches listen to us in 2nd half... once we hit 4th quarter up 25-0. Send them out telling them to act like we down 7 with 1:25 left and spread out shotgun and run the 2 minute drill.

Missed opportunity to give ZEB a chance to gain confidence

Kevin
03-07-2021, 01:19 AM
LOVE THIS!!

post game thoughts.

why didn't the coaches listen to us in 2nd half... once we hit 4th quarter up 25-0. Send them out telling them to act like we down 7 with 1:25 left and spread out shotgun and run the 2 minute drill.

Missed opportunity to give ZEB a chance to gain confidence

And if you're going to needlessly run up the score on a team doing it to a d-bag coach like Bobby would have been acceptable.

Hammerhead
03-07-2021, 02:03 AM
You'd think people would be happy with a 25-point win after the spanking we tool last weekend. :shrug:

El_Chapo
03-07-2021, 02:08 AM
And if you're going to needlessly run up the score on a team doing it to a d-bag coach like Bobby would have been acceptable.

didnt even think or care about that. Entz could shake his hand and say. "sorry about throwing, but did you see my freaking QB & dumb oc playcalls?"

DePereBisonFan
03-07-2021, 03:46 AM
Maybe we chose not to score in the second half, because coaches realized we only win in the Spring season if we score 25 points.

WeAreThePride
03-07-2021, 05:07 AM

I'm not exactly seeing accuracy and deep ball upside from Zeb.

WeAreThePride
03-07-2021, 05:13 AM

The best QB starts. Period.

OrygunBison
03-07-2021, 05:30 AM
I hope Quincy is the starter in the fall with Cam getting decent reps and Cole getting his 4 games. I would rather us play a really good running QB that sometimes throws than a guy that can't really run at all which also has accuracy issues and problems handing the ball off with any speed or rhythm.

bisonaudit
03-07-2021, 05:38 AM
So is it safe to give everyone their shoe laces back or not?

El_Chapo
03-07-2021, 05:48 AM
This is why we are getting soft
Freaking tik tok

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMerLnrmq/

Not to mention p stories stuff

Cmon guys

Kevin
03-07-2021, 06:23 AM
wtf did i just watch

WeAreThePride
03-07-2021, 07:50 AM
wtf did i just watch

Fuckin Zoomers.

Gully
03-07-2021, 11:16 AM
I think we'll have plenty of time this summer to ruminate over who should be the starter at QB in the fall between Zeb, Cam, Quincy, or Cole (might as well throw Logan Graetz in there and make it a party). The best player will start but I really hope we don't have to trade Cole's best year of football for his worst year by not redshirting him in the fall.

I used to think this way, but now that players don't stay, I say "play 'em".

scottietohottie
03-07-2021, 11:51 AM
Someone in the media needs to ask Entz Monday if his freshman qbs are better then the fbs transfer ones.

scottietohottie
03-07-2021, 11:52 AM
Should be significantly improving Trey's draft stock.

bisonaudit
03-07-2021, 12:02 PM
Should be significantly improving Trey's draft stock.

These games are a reverse showcase.

NDSU92
03-07-2021, 12:29 PM
So is it safe to give everyone their shoe laces back or not?

Decidedly, no

scottietohottie
03-07-2021, 12:33 PM
Laces? We ain't tying the back of a fancy dress. Put your boots on and man up.

Snowgoose
03-07-2021, 12:34 PM
Someone in the media needs to ask Entz Monday if his freshman qbs are better then the fbs transfer ones.

Well we are game planning and playing him like he is a freshman.

I am not sure at this point if it pays to play zeb as he plays like a freshman so let’s see what we got in our freshman. The last time we game planned like this Easton was a freshman.

NDSU92
03-07-2021, 12:40 PM
I don’t see how folks are complaining about the defense. Were you expecting to hold Missouri State to negative points? Just stupidity.

Got the shutout, even with the offense turning the ball over just outside our red zone
Held them to less than two yards per carry
Only let up 5 yards per pass attempt
Gave up less than 250 yards
Forced a turnover

Yesterday was as close to textbook code green Bison defense as you’re going to see. If you’re coming here to complain about the defense you either are an idiot or have entitlement/victimhood issues. Damn I’m sick of people bitching all the time on here.

scottietohottie
03-07-2021, 12:45 PM
I don’t see how folks are complaining about the defense. Were you expecting to hold Missouri State to negative points? Just stupidity.

Got the shutout, even with the offense turning the ball over just outside our red zone
Forced a turnover

Yesterday was as close to textbook code green Bison defense as you’re going to see. If you’re coming here to complain about the defense you either are an idiot or have entitlement/victimhood issues. Damn I’m sick of people bitching all the time on here.

Had 7 freshman out there on defense at one time and they were better then their fbs transfers.

NDSU92
03-07-2021, 12:55 PM
Had 7 freshman out there on defense at one time and they were better then their fbs transfers.

Thank you Scottie, you’ve brought me to my next rant: getting our starting offense meaningful reps is more important than lighting up the scoreboard. We are going to be a way different team when we go to play SDSU and UNI. This team will improve greatly as the season goes on, something that is typical for most other teams. We have been blessed the past 5 years with teams that pissed greatness starting in September. This is a new thing for Bison fans. Enjoy the ride.

scottietohottie
03-07-2021, 12:57 PM
Thank you Scottie, you’ve brought me to my next rant: getting our starting offense meaningful reps is more important than lighting up the scoreboard. We are going to be a way different team when we go to play SDSU and UNI. This team will improve greatly as the season goes on, something that is typical for most other teams. We have been blessed the past 5 years with teams that pissed greatness starting in September. This is a new thing for Bison fans. Enjoy the ride.

We're all just patiently waiting for coach to take his own advice.

El_Chapo
03-07-2021, 01:35 PM
Sorry Kevin. You should see the rest of them.
Travis Beck, Carlton Littlejohn, Joe May's & Austin Richard's would eat these guys alive

Son of a Bison
03-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Thanks for this post. Summarized the D performance and also overall perspective. Nice to see a turnover. Also, our blitzes got home frequently. Waage played really well and seems to be more dominant ever game.

Forced a turnover

Bison Dan
03-07-2021, 02:38 PM
Do you realize that if we had a passing game we would have scored 50 points. All the teams will be playing 8-9 men in the box and single coverage on our WR. Our O-line did great but can only block so many guys.

El_Chapo
03-07-2021, 02:41 PM
Sorry Kevin. You should see the rest of them.
Travis Beck, Carlton Littlejohn, Joe May's & Austin Richard's would eat these guys alive

You think these guys would Tik tok??

sbark
03-07-2021, 02:55 PM
Do you realize that if we had a passing game we would have scored 50 points. All the teams will be playing 8-9 men in the box and single coverage on our WR. Our O-line did great but can only block so many guys.

We will see 8 in until Zeb shows he can beat it consistently.
Bill Walsh came with Wco to beat the 85 Bears D.....
Maybe the " long handoffs" is a strenghth of Zebs...had 1 good one vrs SIU..
Gotta free up wr to give Zeb clean 1st looks with bunch sets, wr in motion, downfield picks to compete vrs jacks, Uni etc...
Hope hedberg working on Zebs mechanics after seeing long balls sail consistently.

steelbison
03-07-2021, 04:32 PM
We will see 8 in until Zeb shows he can beat it consistently.
Bill Walsh came with Wco to beat the 85 Bears D.....
Maybe the " long handoffs" is a strenghth of Zebs...had 1 good one vrs SIU..
Gotta free up wr to give Zeb clean 1st looks with bunch sets, wr in motion, downfield picks to compete vrs jacks, Uni etc...
Hope hedberg working on Zebs mechanics after seeing long balls sail consistently.

Great Post. Also looking for play action on first down and TE down the seam. How many times do we have to see the same roll out right two yard pass. My 5-6 grade teams ran a more complicated offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NodakGreg
03-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Great first half. 2nd half was working the clock

Defense. Pitched a shutout. 7 sacks. Physically did a number on those guys

Special teams - impressive AF

Offense - Ugly early on and then we ran the ball like men. The offense wasn't impressive, especially the passing game, but our running game and physicality won the game. They wanted nothing to do with out physical run game.3rd down passing game is so terrible.

Perfect Points. Your Spot on. I still want to see the 2nd half offense when we win the toss, take that ADVANTAGE of Bison Teams past and march down the field, and score...thats what Bison teams do in the 3rd qtr, and Roehl just is not playing to win, but to work on clock management and do the same old run A-Gap, dive right, dive left, then 3rd & 9 and our TE's or recievers don't seem to know to get past the first down marker??? Its so damn predictable.... and if we can only play 2 good qtrs of football we are toast against a better team like UND is right now. Put the damn throttle down, keep mixing up the offense like they did in the first half and get off the traditional ground and pound offense so your team can make some bigger offensive plays so when we MUST HAVE a big play they can do it beside the last plays hail mary's..... although I know Roehl is trying to teach them we can run the ball, wear the other team out, and then maybe break one as they were soo close many times, but CMon man, I want to see this team show their skilled players, Watson who? Should be 4 bombs to him, 1 in every qtr...but we don't WTH? The fastest big receiver we have had in years..... Where is #44 fullback/TE stud? havene't seen him? He should be a sophmore this year a killer freshman last year.

However if each game the team finds their identity, mojo, and improves that will get them in good position to win the conference, but i am not at all certain they might lose 1 or 2 more games with the schedule getting tougher after Ill. ST. SDSU, UNI, UND are good football teams and they will bring it to the Bison...this year...

And yes, why not let Miller do some play action passing to see what he's got, Zeb is a not a confident QB, not even a good game manager....just doesn't seem to know when to move before its too late...? Hes a senior my god!

I'm holding my breath this spring season, but if improvement comes every game then we should be OK. I think..?

Bison Bismarck Fan!

DCinOK
03-07-2021, 09:14 PM
You think these guys would Tik tok??

Butkus wouldn't Tik tok.

thebigund
03-07-2021, 10:05 PM

If you had something that you don’t things would have gone better?

thundarsdaddy
03-07-2021, 10:14 PM
1) Better, but not a lot better. I really liked how we responded after the INT. I loved Entz being aggressive with the fake punt to keep that momentum.
2) Zeb still questionable (outside of the last 30 seconds of a half). Guy has a rocket for an arm but seems like he Favre's it every single pass and I've yet to see him take his second read on a pass play.
3) Running backs still a concern as well. Dom showed some progress and our lightning & lightning combo is fun but struggles between the tackles.
4) Christian Watson, where are you?
5) Tutsie is a missile. Davis is legit.
6) Special teams, squad of the game. Great job guys.
7) Bobby is Bo without the neanderathal charm.
8) We will lose and lose badly to the upper teams in this conference if we don't continue to improve on offense but I feel much better than I did this time last week.

Agree! Zeb having Favre-esque type arm...for sure. Like Favre he will throw the ball hard..and someone will catch it...maybe not always his teammate...but someone! THe team needs improvement on offense w/o question...get to the Bison tradition of moving the chains.

phxbison
03-07-2021, 11:23 PM
I thought the defense played well yesterday. Zero points in the second half is not acceptable. Zeb is still struggling throwing the ball. Other than the 81 yarder he was 9 of 14 for 56 yards, That's pathetic ! I think we're in trouble on offense the rest of the spring. Very one dimensional with no passing game. That does not bode well for our running game.

gabisonfan
03-08-2021, 12:03 AM
Lots of discussion about complaining. Div 1 football has moved completely to mobile QB's. Anything else is stuck in the past. Complaints are justified. Zeb is most likely a great person. That does not translate to a current successful QB. Bison are like everyone else, they have had the same amount of time to prepare. Fans should expect the same.

El_Chapo
03-08-2021, 01:04 AM
Lots of discussion about complaining. Div 1 football has moved completely to mobile QB's. Anything else is stuck in the past. Complaints are justified. Zeb is most likely a great person. That does not translate to a current successful QB. Bison are like everyone else, they have had the same amount of time to prepare. Fans should expect the same.

true. so put him in the shotgun and lets gooo

WeAreThePride
03-08-2021, 07:28 AM
true. so put him in the shotgun and lets gooo

Could you explain what you've been seeing from Zeb that makes you think 30 passes a game is a good idea? He doesn't read the field, he can't move around, and he's inaccurate.

G_Funky
03-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Could you explain what you've been seeing from Zeb that makes you think 30 passes a game is a good idea? He doesn't read the field, he can't move around, and he's inaccurate.

butt Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAILG8R
03-09-2021, 06:43 PM
Is the Bison Report(I think it's Uglem) not doing any film breakdown this year? It was one of my favorite things on a site that I pay to read. I actually want to see a couple film breakdowns on Zeb. I know it's fun to do these when the team is dominant and all but I'm also interested in more insight on why they haven't been playing well from an Xs and Os + execution stand point.

EDIT: I just found the SIU film breakdown (https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/Upon-Film-Review-NDSU-vs-Youngstown-STate-161855509/) so apparently I wasn't looking hard enough.

Urban Meyer
03-09-2021, 08:20 PM
From what we've seen so far this spring, Zeb throwing 30 passes will give the Bison 12 completions, 3 picks, 4 sacks and a fumble.

TAILG8R
03-09-2021, 08:29 PM
For anyone that has Bison Report access it's definitely worth your time to read through the film review posts like the one I posted above. Some interesting non-fan takes. The one that stuck out to me the most from the SIU film review is Zeb does go through his reads and it shows when watching the all 22 film. He doesn't give Zeb any free passes though.