PDA

View Full Version : Cordell Volson

Pages : [1] 2

tolnabison
03-03-2021, 03:25 PM
Hey some positive news! Should help build continuity over the spring, summer workouts and into the fall. He is going to pursue a shot at the NFL this will help. Might end up playing RT in the league, but showing he can hold up at LT will add to his value. He has played pretty well this spring also.

https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/Volson-to-play-through-fall-season-NDSU-football-161792050/

bruinbison
03-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Great news for the Bison!
Next fall would only be Volson’s 3rd season as a starter, would hope that helps his NFL aspirations.

Professor Chaos
03-03-2021, 03:56 PM
Makes sense if he wants to pursue the NFL. I think he could declare in time for the supplemental draft in July but that's usually not a great route to take since if a team makes a pick in that draft they give up the corresponding pick in the next April's draft and teams aren't eager to give up regular draft picks.

I wonder if Josh Hayes will do the same? He might have some pro aspirations and he might as well play the fall season in that case so he can have his pro day and everything else that should be available to him in the spring of 2022 to get some eyes on him.

EDIT: Just checked his bio and Hayes never redshirted (was a true freshman in 2017) so I'd think it's a pretty good bet that he'll be back in the fall as well.

HerdBot
03-03-2021, 04:14 PM
If he has a great spring and fall, he could end up being an all american which would help his cause getting an invite to a good game like the Senior Bowl.

El_Chapo
01-09-2022, 12:44 PM
how is this only 7 posts. dude was a fuckin beast for NDSU!!!

Love his HS kickoff return here.. haha https://twitter.com/ron_benson72/status/1479904835025739779?s=20

bruinbison
01-09-2022, 02:11 PM
Leader of the Rams!

https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/1479952196586274816?s=20

Alsen
01-10-2022, 01:44 AM
Ya, you would have thought more could have been posted, but hey, is he stays healthy and shows up big at his pre-draft events, he will indeed get drafted; and in this day and age, just getting drafted makes you a fast millionaire in your mid twenties, even if it is in the late rounds.

NDSU92
01-10-2022, 02:34 AM
After the shit show this spring, he and Mauch turned the oline around. Is this the best oline we’ve had? Best run blocking line?

southcliffbison
01-10-2022, 12:10 PM
After the shit show this spring, he and Mauch turned the oline around. Is this the best oline we’ve had? Best run blocking line?

Better than Turner, Kunnert, and Haeg ??? I don't think so.

Minimum8Pete
01-10-2022, 01:46 PM
a little surprised there wasnt some gimmick to get him and/or Mauch into the endzone saturday, but Im sure they enjoyed averaging 69 yds/carry on offense too

Honeybooboo
01-10-2022, 02:00 PM
a little surprised there wasnt some gimmick to get him and/or Mauch into the endzone saturday, but Im sure they enjoyed averaging 69 yds/carry on offense too

They put the O in the endzone plenty, they flat out did their job and man handled MSU, I rewatched some of those runs and wow...pure awesomeness.

Cordell is the epitome of NDSU he bleeds green, has a bright future wish him luck as someone who knows him he is a great person!

Professor Chaos
01-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Better than Turner, Kunnert, and Haeg ??? I don't think so.
The results in the run game were better this year than in any of the seasons that those guys played.

Personally I'd say the 2018 o-line: Radunz, Conner, T Volson, Bacon, and Zack Johnson (with C Volson playing a lot off the bench) was probably the best o-line of this run.

El_Chapo
01-10-2022, 03:36 PM
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/cordell-volson-ndsu-ot-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

OrygunBison
01-10-2022, 03:48 PM
Cordell is the epitome of NDSU he bleeds green, has a bright future wish him luck as someone who knows him he is a great person!

We've had some awesome guys play amongst the Rams but Cordell is probably my favorite.

EC8CH
01-10-2022, 04:05 PM
We've had some awesome guys play amongst the Rams but Cordell is probably my favorite.

I'd challenge any other fcs fanbase to name as many offensive lineman by name. Most bison fans would dominate. The claim we celebrate the Rams is no bullshit.

Twincitybizon
01-10-2022, 05:22 PM
I'd challenge any other fcs fanbase to name as many offensive lineman by name. Most bison fans would dominate. The claim we celebrate the Rams is no bullshit.

Allow me to name several: Z Johnson. What do I win?? :)

Son of a Bison
01-10-2022, 08:03 PM
A Big Johnson recognition award.

Allow me to name several: Z Johnson. What do I win?? :)

Twincitybizon
01-11-2022, 03:35 PM
A Big Johnson recognition award.

Nice, biggest swinging Johnson? Another name for a pulling Johnson of course

El_Chapo
01-11-2022, 03:47 PM
nfl combine invite for Volson?. where is it!!

Son of a Bison
01-11-2022, 04:29 PM
What happens when a pulling Johnson crosses a tight end? Does it engage solo or look to double team?

Nice, biggest swinging Johnson? Another name for a pulling Johnson of course

southcliffbison
01-11-2022, 11:08 PM
nfl combine invite for Volson?. where is it!!

If he hasn't received one yet, this snub should inspire him to do very well at the Senior Bowl.

EC8CH
01-11-2022, 11:21 PM
If he hasn't received one yet, this snub should inspire him to do very well at the Senior Bowl.

Volson is going to Shrine bowl not Senior bowl. Feels like Volson's ceiling is around the 5th round?

Would be great to see Watson go even higher in the 3rd round or so.

Bisonator98
01-12-2022, 01:48 PM
I like Cordell but he needs to clean up some of the stupid penalties. He had too many IMO. I'd guess most NFL teams look at him as a guard. Gonna need to really work on his pad level and hands to make a roster.

tony
01-12-2022, 02:14 PM
I like Cordell but he needs to clean up some of the stupid penalties. He had too many IMO. I'd guess most NFL teams look at him as a guard. Gonna need to really work on his pad level and hands to make a roster.

I'm not trying to pick on you today, but the draft analysis I read mentioned that Cordell had only one penalty in all of the spring season. I had no idea that penalties were a problem this year - and considering how he mauls people, I figured he'd have more.

Now, Cody Mauch... gets penalized a bit (and could get penalized more), but I'm sure glad he's a Bison.

Twincitybizon
01-12-2022, 02:17 PM
I'm not trying to pick on you today, but the draft analysis I read mentioned that Cordell had only one penalty in all of the spring season. I had no idea that penalties were a problem this year - and considering how he mauls people, I figured he'd have more.

Now, Cody Mauch... gets penalized a bit (and could get penalized more), but I'm sure glad he's a Bison.

Yeah but that ref has excellent pad level and hand placement so Cordell is toast

tony
01-12-2022, 03:47 PM
Yeah but that ref has excellent pad level and hand placement so Cordell is toast

In the full frame, it's clear that Cordell is looking at a Bobcat player, probably to memorize his number so he can murderate him on the field later.

Twincitybizon
01-12-2022, 03:48 PM
In the full frame, it's clear that Cordell is looking at a Bobcat player, probably to memorize his number so he can murderate him on the field later.

You can feel the death stare. Unfiltered rage

Bisonator98
01-12-2022, 04:13 PM

He certainly had more then one penalty this fall. It surprised me too being a senior.

GreenfieldBison
01-24-2022, 02:20 PM
Draft article on Cordell coming from the Giants media sphere: https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/1/23/22896537/2022-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-cordell-volson-ot-g-north-dakota-state-scouting-report-ny-giants

El_Chapo
01-30-2022, 01:01 AM
steelers preview

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/versatility-a-strength-for-baylors-xavier-newman-johnson-north-dakota-states-cordell-volson/

Twincitybizon
01-30-2022, 06:18 PM
Twitter is saying Cordell is having a stellar day today.

23Bison
01-30-2022, 06:29 PM
Yep, his stock is rising as a OG.

TAILG8R
01-30-2022, 06:46 PM
Our favorite Czar of the Playbook talked with Cordell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSk9P4s844k&ab_channel=FootballGameplan

Rixen
01-31-2022, 03:08 PM
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/cordell-volson-shrine-bowl-2022

The Draft Network is a pretty well regarded draft prospect site to my knowledge. Many of their contributors over the last year have moved on to bigger and better things in the industry. Great to see some praise on here as well as on Twitter.

I am still waiting for a Bison to stick on the Vikings roster and Cordell would be a legitimate fit if RG is his potential landing spot in the NFL.

CAS4127
02-03-2022, 08:20 PM
Combine invite secured.

EC8CH
02-03-2022, 08:32 PM
Combine invite secured.

Holy Shit. That's awesome!

southcliffbison
02-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Combine invite secured.

Is that worth one trade round ? Or better (depending on how he performs)

HerdistheWord
02-03-2022, 10:51 PM
Cordell is picking up steam as a top 100 pick after the Shrine Bowl practices, which is probably why he worked himself into the combine.

El_Chapo
02-03-2022, 11:54 PM
Being in the Combine catapults you to Top 3-4 rounds guaranteed.

El_Chapo
02-04-2022, 12:10 AM
Cordell looking solid at RG. #67

wish they had him at LT. more $$$ & draftablility

also WHY DON'T THEY WEAR THE BRIGHT YELLOW HELMETS!! it's so easy to pick out. (green harvest don't stick out)

HerdistheWord
02-04-2022, 12:11 AM
Cordell just wrestled away a fumble from three defenders.

NDSUBowler
02-04-2022, 01:51 PM

300+ are invited to the combine every year. C'mon now.

Professor Chaos
02-04-2022, 02:00 PM
300+ are invited to the combine every year. C'mon now.
http://catchquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/102-Animal-House-quotes.gif

tolnabison
02-04-2022, 02:03 PM

This is false. There are 300 invites to the combine. 4 rounds is 128 regular picks with compensatory picks added onto the back of the 3rd and 4th grounds.

Cordell looking solid at RG. #67

wish they had him at LT. more $$$ & draftablility

also WHY DON'T THEY WEAR THE BRIGHT YELLOW HELMETS!! it's so easy to pick out. (green harvest don't stick out)

Didn't pay LT for us. Isn't going to play LT at an all star event. Plays where the scouts want to see him at. His arm length was 33 inches. Which is pretty average for a tackle. Scouts wanted to see him play inside.

Rixen
02-04-2022, 02:21 PM
Some of you might need your enthusiasm tempered a bit here.

Combine could theoretically hurt his stock if he doesn't fare well in the underwear olympic tests. Cordell could just be one of those "gamer" types that plays better than his measurements and lets down in the measurables that teams seem to weigh so heavily. That being said, we all think the world of Kramer so perhaps his shuttle, bench, broad jump, etc. tests will be above average and he will maintain or improve his draft steam.

As of now, the Shrine Bowl practices and game absolutely helped Cordell to this point. I think he went from a borderline draftable asset and surefire UDFA at RT to a lock to be drafted as an OG with OT versatility. That being said, there will still be question marks about athleticism and limited snaps at his likely NFL position of OG. If I had to guess I would say he went from a 7th rounder/UDFA to a 5th/6th rounder. While those rounds aren't sexy that is still a fantastic jump for his NFL potential. Getting a legit draft contract is a big deal and provides a bit more runway to lock into an NFL career.

Also, please take this all with a grain of salt as I am mostly an idiot.

El_Chapo
02-04-2022, 02:23 PM
I'll say 4th round then

NDSU92
02-04-2022, 02:36 PM
Some of you might need your enthusiasm tempered a bit here.

Combine could theoretically hurt his stock if he doesn't fare well in the underwear olympic tests. Cordell could just be one of those "gamer" types that plays better than his measurements and lets down in the measurables that teams seem to weigh so heavily. That being said, we all think the world of Kramer so perhaps his shuttle, bench, broad jump, etc. tests will be above average and he will maintain or improve his draft steam.

As of now, the Shrine Bowl practices and game absolutely helped Cordell to this point. I think he went from a borderline draftable asset and surefire UDFA at RT to a lock to be drafted as an OG with OT versatility. That being said, there will still be question marks about athleticism and limited snaps at his likely NFL position of OG. If I had to guess I would say he went from a 7th rounder/UDFA to a 5th/6th rounder. While those rounds aren't sexy that is still a fantastic jump for his NFL potential. Getting a legit draft contract is a big deal and provides a bit more runway to lock into an NFL career.

Also, please take this all with a grain of salt as I am mostly an idiot.

I think a huge key for NDSU players getting drafted is moving up enough in the draft where if you take an extra year to develop, the GM is hesitant to cut you.

I remember Billy going from pretty mediocre in Miami to Rodgers saying he should be going to the Pro Bowl. Radunz apparently hadn't been outstanding up until he got actual game time. If Radunz was a 6/7th rounder he probably would've been cut before he got the chance.

123Gobison
02-04-2022, 04:03 PM

John Crockett was invited to the Combine. Heck ESPN did a segment on him prior to the draft and had cameras follow him everywhere before the draft. In then end he signed as an UFA.

HerdistheWord
02-04-2022, 04:23 PM
The idea of Volson being drafted as a top 100 pick came from the Director of Player Personnel at the East-West Shrine Bowl. He made a comment that Volson was a top 100 pick based on his observations and what teams have told him. That is definitely subject to change with the combine, etc., but it isn’t just fanaticism when I say that. He has 3rd-4th round buzz right now. That is way better than what I thought he would have. We’ll see what happens during the next step of the process.

23Bison
02-04-2022, 04:38 PM
My professional opinion is that he could sneak into the 4th round. I'm thinking he'll go 5th.

Rixen
02-04-2022, 05:35 PM
The idea of Volson being drafted as a top 100 pick came from the Director of Player Personnel at the East-West Shrine Bowl. He made a comment that Volson was a top 100 pick based on his observations and what teams have told him. That is definitely subject to change with the combine, etc., but it isn’t just fanaticism when I say that. He has 3rd-4th round buzz right now. That is way better than what I thought he would have. We’ll see what happens during the next step of the process.

That's fair and maybe he is right but my feeling is that he really boosted his stock but as an OG now instead of OT. Typically OGs don't fly off the shelf in the first 2 days of the draft. Just looking at the last two drafts, both had only 4 OGs go in the first 3 rounds. Full transparency that I didn't look at how many OTs were drafted and listed as OTs but were planned to play as OG, if that makes sense.

All that is to say that the director you referenced is considering Volson to be a roughly top 5 OG in this draft. That is a wishful step too far for me to take right now. Especially since the OL class this year is pretty strong. I think the director is talking out of his ass to pimp the Shrine Bowl participants a bit and I hope I am wrong. Sticking with my projection but I appreciate you providing the info.

HerdistheWord
02-04-2022, 09:18 PM
That's fair and maybe he is right but my feeling is that he really boosted his stock but as an OG now instead of OT. Typically OGs don't fly off the shelf in the first 2 days of the draft. Just looking at the last two drafts, both had only 4 OGs go in the first 3 rounds. Full transparency that I didn't look at how many OTs were drafted and listed as OTs but were planned to play as OG, if that makes sense.

All that is to say that the director you referenced is considering Volson to be a roughly top 5 OG in this draft. That is a wishful step too far for me to take right now. Especially since the OL class this year is pretty strong. I think the director is talking out of his ass to pimp the Shrine Bowl participants a bit and I hope I am wrong. Sticking with my projection but I appreciate you providing the info.

My non-informed opinion had him as a 4th-5th rounder at best, but if he plays guard really well and can fill in at Tackle decently, I could see the NFL coveting him a bit higher than traditional OG’s.

Alsen
02-04-2022, 10:20 PM
Volson is going to Shrine bowl not Senior bowl. Feels like Volson's ceiling is around the 5th round?

Would be great to see Watson go even higher in the 3rd round or so.

If Watson runs well at the combine Thor Nystrom from NBC edge(formerly Rotoworld) has him going top 50.

NDSU_grad
02-04-2022, 10:29 PM
I just don’t think he’s athletic enough to play tackle at the next level, but that’s ok. Getting drafted in any round would be amazing and he can play a long time at Guard in the NFL.

EC8CH
02-04-2022, 10:33 PM
If Watson runs well at the combine Thor Nystrom from NBC edge(formerly Rotoworld) has him going top 50.

Wow. Would be awesome. We were lucky to have such a talent at WR.

Bison Bridge Guy
02-05-2022, 12:29 AM
Ross Uglem reporting Volson got a combine invite!

El_Chapo
02-05-2022, 03:27 AM
Ross Uglem reporting Volson got a combine invite!

we had it b4 russ. see CAS post. we got the text

SomeBeach
02-09-2022, 09:06 PM
Can't find any post-game analysis on Cordell's performance, and unfortunately I couldn't watch. How did he do?

TAILG8R
02-09-2022, 09:14 PM
Can't find any post-game analysis on Cordell's performance, and unfortunately I couldn't watch. How did he do?

Sounded like he was road grading defenders all game. I read a sentence or two about it but can't remember where.

Minimum8Pete
02-10-2022, 01:14 PM

Extremely based comment right there. I hope the guys is actually dazzled by Volson but hard to ignore that incentive.

jarhead
02-10-2022, 03:43 PM
Sounded like he was road grading defenders all game. I read a sentence or two about it but can't remember where.

He started the game at right guard and played like he has all year, playing with power and picking up stunts well. Moved to left side in second half. Again, he played well against all
comers including Truesdell (Auburn/Florida) and Booker (Stanford). Towards end of game he pushed Booker backwards 4-5 yds and gave Booker a little push at the end. Next play,
On 3rd and short, Booker pushed Cordell three yds deep in the backfield and sacked the QB. Only bad play I remember all game. Definitely helped himself. Would be an upgrade atRG for the Vikes if ur a fan.

GreenfieldBison
02-18-2022, 01:30 PM
A little Packers draft chatter:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/17/unpacking-future-packers-no-67-cordell-volson/

Best case scenario for a player like Volson as a rookie: He battles Royce Newman for the starting right guard spot.
Worst case scenario: Volson provides a versatile backup at both guard spots while providing quality depth at right tackle.

WeAreThePride
02-18-2022, 01:32 PM
A little Packers draft chatter:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/17/unpacking-future-packers-no-67-cordell-volson/

I like it!

Bisman
03-01-2022, 10:21 PM
The offensive lineman, at the combine, will be on the NFL Network, Friday, beginning at 3PM CDT on the NFL Network

IzzyFlexion
03-04-2022, 03:34 PM
Volson put up 25 reps in the bench.
Tied for 8th out of 18 OL.

Top performer did 32.

SafeTeeJ
03-04-2022, 04:39 PM

Top performer did 32.

One Shy of CAS’s reps, before he blew out his pec

THEsocalledfan
03-04-2022, 04:54 PM

Top performer did 32.

Zach on BRR made comment he has long arms, too, so don't expect a ton on this. Very respectable showing considering.

El_Chapo
03-04-2022, 07:58 PM
Radunz Round 2
Turner Round 3
Haeg Round 5

This NDSU pedigree here should help land Volson in the 4th Round this year to calm this OCD chart

mtoutfitter
03-04-2022, 10:24 PM
5.26 for Volson in the 40. First attempt.

tjbison
03-04-2022, 10:38 PM
#2 run unofficial 40 5.31

Danno
03-04-2022, 10:44 PM
#2 run unofficial 40 5.31

So based on yesterday's adjustments, probably a 5.36? Still quicker than I could probably run it

tjbison
03-04-2022, 11:05 PM
So based on yesterday's adjustments, probably a 5.36? Still quicker than I could probably run it

5.26 is his official on nfl.com

123Gobison
03-05-2022, 01:44 AM

I dont think 40 timing is important for OL, if a an OL is running 40yards then there is something bad going on that game. I think what is important is 10yards timing.

56BISON73
03-05-2022, 03:04 AM
I dont think 40 timing is important for OL, if a an OL is running 40yards then there is something bad going on that game. I think what is important is 10yards timing.

So down field blocking is not important? :rolleyes:

HerdBot
03-05-2022, 04:31 AM

In is important to be in the acceptable range of NFL scouts, and Cordell is within that range. You won't find slow NFL o lineman these days. The level of athleticism is mind blowing

tjbison
03-05-2022, 01:35 PM

did you not watch and notice the OL guys have a 10yd timer also. The 40yd also measures explosiveness off the line.

Mr Meaty
03-05-2022, 02:19 PM

He should have slid like Cody Mauch in championship game and signaled first down. Now that would have been impressive. lol

Cordell had a great showing. Most comments I read were about his versatility on the line. That will get him in the NFL and keep him there a long time.

bruinbison
03-05-2022, 06:29 PM
5.26 is his official on nfl.com

Cordell Volson at 5.26……
I have no idea if the following numbers are accurate, but if you go along with the idea they are and you also go along with the idea that some teams look at Cordell Volson as a guard, then……

Daniel House
@DanielHouseNFL
#Gophers OL Blaise Andries just ran a 5.17u 40-yard dash with a 1.79 10-yard split on his first try. His expected time based upon his size was 5.14.

His 40 time ranks No. 210 out of 1,135 guards since 1987, per @MathBomb's database. 10-yard split is 219 out of 1,122. Solid time!

123Gobison
03-06-2022, 12:41 AM
did you not watch and notice the OL guys have a 10yd timer also. The 40yd also measures explosiveness off the line.

10yrds measures explosiveness not 40yrd timing.

bruinbison
03-06-2022, 12:15 PM
Cordell Volson rated as an OT:

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1499950591736483840?s=20&t=X6BIXZqZ8YmuTK8yUEZplg

bruinbison
03-06-2022, 12:17 PM
And Keith Brake adds in the Guard rating for comparison

https://twitter.com/The_BrakeDown/status/1500105650755489794?s=20&t=fi4ESyRP5e8JkEWp0PlyoA

tjbison
03-06-2022, 01:25 PM
10yrds measures explosiveness not 40yrd timing.

Its the reason they run the 40, to get the explosion and stamina duh....

Downfield blocking is required in case you have never watched a run play in the NFL or College

Wolfie
03-06-2022, 05:09 PM
Its the reason they run the 40, to get the explosion and stamina duh....

Downfield blocking is required in case you have never watched a run play in the NFL or College

I have watched alot of NFL and college games. I almost never see an O Lineman blocking past 10 yards.
It would be almost impossible for them to block downfield on a pass, other than a screen.
So it would have to be a run. Are you saying O Lineman run so fast that they out run the RB's?
I'm sure you will post a link to a video of 1 or 2 O Lineman showing up downfield on a play to prove your point. But what about the other 10 million plays?

unbison
03-06-2022, 09:17 PM
I have watched alot of NFL and college games. I almost never see an O Lineman blocking past 10 yards.
It would be almost impossible for them to block downfield on a pass, other than a screen.
So it would have to be a run. Are you saying O Lineman run so fast that they out run the RB's?
I'm sure you will post a link to a video of 1 or 2 O Lineman showing up downfield on a play to prove your point. But what about the other 10 million plays?

Dammit you just love to argue
It’s a gauge of athletic ability

Wolfie
03-06-2022, 09:37 PM
Dammit you just love to argue
It’s a gauge of athletic ability

I get that. But I read "blocking downfield is required in case you have never watched a run play in the NFL or College"
Since I have watched many run plays, I thought I would point out that O Lineman are not blocking downfield on run plays 99.99999% of the time.

unbison
03-06-2022, 09:50 PM
I get that. But I read "blocking downfield is required in case you have never watched a run play in the NFL or College"
Since I have watched many run plays, I thought I would point out that O Lineman are not blocking downfield on run plays 99.99999% of the time.

You proved point 1

stevdock
03-07-2022, 02:20 AM

You only want one play right ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQaEx5PUKhM

That was just the first I could find out of many that Kelce has made over his career.

IndyBison
03-07-2022, 02:58 AM
You only want one play right ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQaEx5PUKhM

That was just the first I could find out of many that Kelce has made over his career.His block was 5 yards downfield and a seal block that he maintained as the runner passed him about 8 yards downfield. The players ended up about 12-15 yards but the runner had already cleared the block. To prove your point find a block where an OL runs 10+ yards downfield and then irritates a block before the runner gets to that point. I'm guessing that is pretty rare.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

cbline
03-07-2022, 04:41 PM
His block was 5 yards downfield and a seal block that he maintained as the runner passed him about 8 yards downfield. The players ended up about 12-15 yards but the runner had already cleared the block. To prove your point find a block where an OL runs 10+ yards downfield and then irritates a block before the runner gets to that point. I'm guessing that is pretty rare.

2:59 of this clip from the championship game versus JMU. Radunz is blocking at the 10 yard line on the reverse play while Sproles is still carrying the ball behind him. Radunz leading the way. Awesome example!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idp07g-Z_JY

stevdock
03-07-2022, 07:24 PM
His block was 5 yards downfield and a seal block that he maintained as the runner passed him about 8 yards downfield. The players ended up about 12-15 yards but the runner had already cleared the block. To prove your point find a block where an OL runs 10+ yards downfield and then irritates a block before the runner gets to that point. I'm guessing that is pretty rare.

This is still not the one I'm looking for but notice Kelce gets two guys. One close to 6 yards, the next at 12 yards. Both were lead blocking well before the back got there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZTRzme1_U

IndyBison
03-07-2022, 11:29 PM
2:59 of this clip from the championship game versus JMU. Radunz is blocking at the 10 yard line on the reverse play while Sproles is still carrying the ball behind him. Radunz leading the way. Awesome example!

This is still not the one I'm looking for but notice Kelce gets two guys. One close to 6 yards, the next at 12 yards. Both were lead blocking well before the back got there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZTRzme1_U

Both of these examples involved sweeps where the lineman goes downfield first. In the Volson example, he was at 10 yards before the runner crossed the LOS. The runner took the handoff 5 yards behind the LOS and swung back to almost 7 yards behind. And from the middle of the field (where he took the handoff) to the sideline is 26 yards. He curved it so the total distance the runner covered was somewhere about 30 yards in the time it took Volson to go 10 yards. If the runner is running a 4.5 40 then he only needs to do a 13.5 40 to get 10 yards in the time it takes the runner to go 30.

In the Kelce example, again the runner is on a sweep. A little shorter distance because the ball is snapped a little right of middle (and NFL hashes are narrower than NCAA) and the runner doesn't come all the way to the sideline. But the runner has nearly caught Kelce when Kelce is only 2-3 yards beyond the LOS. The runner than slows down and cuts back to set up the block. If he doesn't have to slow down and then push Kelce he's well beyond him by the time Kelce is at 10 yards from the LOS.

There is a value of speed for lineman to be able to get out front on these blocks, but it's not needed for them to get much beyond 10 yards downfield most of the time to initiate them. These are great examples of very athletic linemen making plays downfield but neither does anything beyond 10 yards that helps spring a runner.

OrygunBison
03-07-2022, 11:30 PM

So, the thing I absolutely love about Radunz on this play is that while he unfortunately whiffed on blocking the linebacker that was flowing into what seemed to be the backside of the play, he ended up recognizing that Sproles was free around the corner and he hit high gear to get his ass down field to clear the way. Notice how damn fast he was. Wow!

Also of note, there were 2 or 3 other linemen in the endzone very shortly thereafter.

56BISON73
03-07-2022, 11:42 PM
Both of these examples involved sweeps where the lineman goes downfield first. In the Volson example, he was at 10 yards before the runner crossed the LOS. The runner took the handoff 5 yards behind the LOS and swung back to almost 7 yards behind. And from the middle of the field (where he took the handoff) to the sideline is 26 yards. He curved it so the total distance the runner covered was somewhere about 30 yards in the time it took Volson to go 10 yards. If the runner is running a 4.5 40 then he only needs to do a 13.5 40 to get 10 yards in the time it takes the runner to go 30.

In the Kelce example, again the runner is on a sweep. A little shorter distance because the ball is snapped a little right of middle (and NFL hashes are narrower than NCAA) and the runner doesn't come all the way to the sideline. But the runner has nearly caught Kelce when Kelce is only 2-3 yards beyond the LOS. The runner than slows down and cuts back to set up the block. If he doesn't have to slow down and then push Kelce he's well beyond him by the time Kelce is at 10 yards from the LOS.

There is a value of speed for lineman to be able to get out front on these blocks, but it's not needed for them to get much beyond 10 yards downfield most of the time to initiate them. These are great examples of very athletic linemen making plays downfield but neither does anything beyond 10 yards that helps spring a runner.

Dont forget that some lineman on sweeps run at least 5 yards before turning the corner. After that running 10 yards isnt that difficult if the running back will follow his blockers. As the years have progressed you are seeing more and more o-lineman way down field and the announcers are talking about it in regards to their athletic ability.

Twincitybizon
03-08-2022, 02:46 AM

Lol imagine your go to example for why a 40 matters to offensive linemen is a fake 23 blast with a backside George reverse......

El_Chapo
03-08-2022, 02:05 PM
Detroit Lions 5th Round in their mock I see

Big Bird
04-06-2022, 01:48 AM
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-eight-day-3-prospects-that-should-be-on-your-teams-radar

El_Chapo
04-06-2022, 02:16 AM
I want Volson taken in the 3rd round.. cmon NFL. see Radunz, Turner

mtoutfitter
04-29-2022, 11:35 PM
Really hope Cordell gets picked as well! Packers again would be great with me.

El_Chapo
04-30-2022, 03:53 AM
pick this guy NFL!!

tjamz
04-30-2022, 09:30 AM
really hope cordell gets picked as well! Packers again would be great with me.

yup! .

bruinbison
04-30-2022, 12:58 PM
Was hoping the Vikings would draft Volson early enough on the 3rd day, good pick as a guard plus Minnesota needs to break their Bison Draft Jinx. Unfortunately on the 2nd day Minny drafted Ed Ingram, LSU so may not need an IOL. Unless someone knows if Ingram can play center? That would be very useful and then go get Volson.

NDSU1980
04-30-2022, 05:34 PM
Wooo whooo. Volson drafted by Cinci

Big Bird
04-30-2022, 05:36 PM
WHO DEY!

Have to admit, I'm surprised, but he has a real shot if he can play LG.

There was an article that dropped on Thursday that our projected starting LG/2nd rd pick last year was investigated for sexual assault while at Clemson and it is pretty appalling.

I'm just excited to have a Bison on my favorite team

bruinbison
04-30-2022, 05:38 PM
Congratulations!!

mtoutfitter
04-30-2022, 06:00 PM
Way to go Cordell!!!

El_Chapo
04-30-2022, 06:04 PM
way to go!!! did ndsu have someone else play for cincy?

tolnabison
04-30-2022, 06:07 PM

Lechler signed there.

WeAreThePride
04-30-2022, 06:24 PM
Outstanding. OL is definitely a need for them.

OrygunBison
04-30-2022, 07:14 PM
Do I remember Anthony Munoz training in Fargo during the off season? Long time ago and a little foggy.

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2022, 07:16 PM

They also signed Andrew Bonnet when Tyler Eifert was injured.

El_Chapo
04-30-2022, 07:27 PM
thanks. great replies!!

tony
04-30-2022, 08:13 PM
Woohoo!!!!

gabisonfan
04-30-2022, 08:23 PM
For those of us on another planet, round and pick number please. Thanks

PickedBess
04-30-2022, 08:32 PM
Congrats eat more Rommegrot

Cincinnati a northern or southern city?

reformedUNDfan
04-30-2022, 08:45 PM
round 4 pick 31 136 overall

Congrats eat more Rommegrot

Cincinnati a northern or southern city?

Northern

EC8CH
04-30-2022, 09:00 PM
http://youtu.be/DFOLR6jF5iY

Son of a Bison
04-30-2022, 09:02 PM
Do I remember Anthony Munoz training in Fargo during the off season? Long time ago and a little foggy.

This is true.

Congrats Cordell. He has the work ethic to be successful.

Honeybooboo
04-30-2022, 09:11 PM
Truly happy for Cordell he is a great person, worked hard to get better bleeds Green and Gold. So pumped for him

gabisonfan
04-30-2022, 09:19 PM
round 4 pick 31 136 overall

Northern

Excellent, thanks.

southcliffbison
04-30-2022, 09:43 PM
Excellent, thanks.

On a side note, somewhat related.......don't Ma and Pa Volson have a couple of more boys down on the farm ???

garbageman
04-30-2022, 09:48 PM
On a side note, somewhat related.......don't Ma and Pa Volson have a couple of more boys down on the farm ???

Yes they do not sure of age

cbline
04-30-2022, 10:44 PM

Don't say this too loudly. FBS schools will start recruiting in the Balfour area!

Big Bird
05-08-2022, 11:43 AM
Joe Goodberry is my favorite follow on Twitter for the Bengals and NFL Draft. He used to write for the Athletic and started the Locked On Bengals podcast, but is now "retired" from sports writing/analysis. For a guy that is "retired", he still offers the best insight into the draft and Bengals related topics. He and Jake Liscow (Locked on Bengals) compile annual draft rankings (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P8zXxlLuLDq8q44cJauwDBwTLQ8uUxr2_rBoRgWtxMY/edit#gid=1005710416) with positions that the Bengals might/should target. They use college production, consensus draft board, RAS, physical measurables, their own film grades, and breakout age to rank prospects. The last several years they've nailed the hits, misses, reaches, and values of the draft.

Volson wasn't on his initial list, so he went back and tweeted through his film watch of Volson https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1520642418453872640. Here were the highlights:
"This NDSU run game is a MACHINE. They're well coached and in sync. It's the entire foundation of their offense. Rare to get a true pass set to evaluate. I definitely agree that Volson is better at guard. Could probably slide to OT in a pinch, but he looks better inside."

"The rest of the games look just like these highlights below. He gets to the second level and eliminates his target. Really shows his athleticism there. Nasty blocker. Attitude. A bit reckless."

"He's a nasty bastard"

After his film review and using Volson's combine numbers, Volson has a 72.8 grade, which was 11th among the interior offensive linemen they ranked this year. A 70 grade is a 4th round grade and a 73 grade is worth a late day 2 pick.

southcliffbison
06-18-2022, 01:05 PM
Cordel Volson gets his payday. Good for him. He can probably start his on construction business now........darn, another team I have to follow. There's getting to be too many teams to pay attention to. 4 yrs. 4.3 million with a 656,800 dollar signing bonus.

Professor Chaos
07-30-2022, 12:53 AM
Monday Morning QB senior NFL writer Albert Breer says Cordell is pushing incumbent Jackson Carman for the starting spot at LG in Cincinnati.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1553137212220391424

unbison
07-30-2022, 01:22 AM
Cordel Volson gets his payday. Good for him. He can probably start his on construction business now........darn, another team I have to follow. There's getting to be too many teams to pay attention to. 4 yrs. 4.3 million with a 656,800 dollar signing bonus.

A small landscaping company maybe

southcliffbison
07-30-2022, 04:04 AM
A small landscaping company maybe

True, but it will be the biggest one in Balfour.....

gavin2126
07-30-2022, 04:13 AM

Trimming the hedges makes it look even bigger

Big Bird
07-30-2022, 02:35 PM
Monday Morning QB senior NFL writer Albert Breer says Cordell is pushing incumbent Jackson Carman for the starting spot at LG in Cincinnati.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1553137212220391424

Carman has gotten all of the reps with the 1s at LG and the tone is a complete 180 from last year from OL coach Frank Pollack in regards to Carman.

Cordell has been getting a bunch of reps with the 1s, but they’ve been at RG while Alex Cappa recovers from core surgery.

Right now, he’s clearly behind Carman, but they haven’t put on the pads yet and that’ll be telling. Pollack wants “glass eaters” and that is Cordell’s MO and I bet he closes the gap some once the pads are on

Honeybooboo
07-30-2022, 04:34 PM

His family already owns a Large const company:)

he don't need no stinking landscaping business...

Uffda
08-01-2022, 01:29 AM
Joe Goodberry is my favorite follow on Twitter for the Bengals and NFL Draft. He used to write for the Athletic and started the Locked On Bengals podcast, but is now "retired" from sports writing/analysis. For a guy that is "retired", he still offers the best insight into the draft and Bengals related topics. He and Jake Liscow (Locked on Bengals) compile annual draft rankings (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P8zXxlLuLDq8q44cJauwDBwTLQ8uUxr2_rBoRgWtxMY/edit#gid=1005710416) with positions that the Bengals might/should target. They use college production, consensus draft board, RAS, physical measurables, their own film grades, and breakout age to rank prospects. The last several years they've nailed the hits, misses, reaches, and values of the draft.

Volson wasn't on his initial list, so he went back and tweeted through his film watch of Volson https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1520642418453872640. Here were the highlights:
"This NDSU run game is a MACHINE. They're well coached and in sync. It's the entire foundation of their offense. Rare to get a true pass set to evaluate. I definitely agree that Volson is better at guard. Could probably slide to OT in a pinch, but he looks better inside."

"The rest of the games look just like these highlights below. He gets to the second level and eliminates his target. Really shows his athleticism there. Nasty blocker. Attitude. A bit reckless."

"He's a nasty bastard"

After his film review and using Volson's combine numbers, Volson has a 72.8 grade, which was 11th among the interior offensive linemen they ranked this year. A 70 grade is a 4th round grade and a 73 grade is worth a late day 2 pick.

The comments from the Bengals fans are great. They're going to love Volson.��

SFBisonFan
08-03-2022, 07:42 PM
I hear there are two more Volson boys in high school. Any word if they will be future Bison?

Big Bird
08-13-2022, 01:12 AM
First pre-season game is at the half and there is good news and bad news for Cordell.

Bad news: He hasn't played yet. The entire unit that started tonight (all presumed backups, except Jackson Carman at LG) has played all half

Good news: Jackson Carman has been absolutely atrocious. Looks worse than last year and his awareness is just non-existent. Missing stunts, going the wrong way, running into his tackle, holding penalty, etc. Plus, he stands up way too much, gets no leverage, and gets driven into the pocket. This is all against the Cardinals backup D Line

Barring injury, Volson will get to play the entire 2nd half and the Bengals get the ball first in the 2nd half. He has a real chance to make a big move for the LG job tonight

Big Bird
08-13-2022, 01:31 AM
3 and out, but not Cordell's fault.

Fired off the snap and got to the 2nd level very quickly on the one run, and picked up a twist very nicely on third down, which Carman struggles with.

Good start

Big Bird
08-13-2022, 10:18 AM
Overall seemed to be a good night for Cordell. Carman was awful and Cordell played well.

Interestingly, he looked better in pass pro than in the run early on. He anchored well, dealt with stunts well, and had good hand placement and usage.

In the run game, he fired off the snap really well, but did lunge and reach at times, causing some misses. Overall though, he moved well (honestly, better than I remember him moving in space at NDSU) and showed his pop.

https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1558276552600723457

Bisman
08-19-2022, 08:13 PM
Bengals RT La’el Collins, who said today was a big step in his ramp up process, called rookie LG Cordell Volson “one of the best rookies I’ve been around.”

He praised Volson’s toughness, physicality, coachability and willingness to learn.

ndsubison1
08-21-2022, 07:15 PM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/08/latest-on-bengals-left-guard-competition

Bengals play tonight on NFL Network

Bisman
08-21-2022, 07:37 PM
Small-Town Cordell Volson Gets Shot In Big Apple In Pursuit Of Bengals LG Job

https://www.bengals.com/news/small-town-cordell-volson-gets-shot-in-big-apple-in-pursuit-of-bengals-lg-job

Big Bird
08-21-2022, 09:29 PM
Sounds like he'll be starting between Hakeem Adeniji at LT and Trey Hill at C tonight. Adeniji is awful and I think a likely cut after camp and Hill is a 2nd year 6th round pick who was awful last year, but looked ok in the preseason opener.

Sounds like the Giants will play most starters, so it should be a very challenging game for Cordell.

Big Bird
08-21-2022, 11:25 PM
Bad start for Bengals starters but Cordell does very well. He continues to look very good in pass pro

Game is on NFL Network.

SDbison
08-21-2022, 11:37 PM
Bad start for Bengals starters but Cordell does very well. He continues to look very good in pass pro

Game is on NFL Network. Volson doing a great job so far tonight!

Big Bird
08-21-2022, 11:45 PM
IMO, Cordell has done enough and I think he's locked up the starting gig. As a Bengals fan, I want one more drive for Cordell and see how he does when they run to the left. His pass pro has been great so far again.

The rest of the line has been pretty bad (as usual). Trey Hill looks ok at center though. Give Cordell one more drive, then sit him the rest of the preseason and get him ready for Larry Ogunjobi and Cam Heyward week one. That's about as tough of an interior pass rushing tandem as he'll see all year.

Big Bird
08-22-2022, 12:23 AM
Really rough drive for Cordell. First he appeared to pull the wrong way, collided with the other guard, allowing the defender to make an easy tackle for a loss. Then on 3rd down, he misses a delayed CB blitz right through his gap.

The drive before was better but just ok. They called one run to his side and he got no push, but didn't give any ground and his defender made the stop for a short gain. He then got beat by speed off the snap on a passing play, but was able to recover nicely and push the defender wide and deep so he wasn't a factor.

tjbison
08-22-2022, 12:46 AM
Back in to start the 2nd half

Big Bird
08-22-2022, 01:05 AM
Back in to start the 2nd half

And he looked good on that drive. Getting better push and holding up well in pass pro.

56BISON73
08-22-2022, 02:19 AM
More reps will really help him.

Big Bird
08-22-2022, 02:25 AM
I thought this was the second game in a row where he was better in pass pro than against the run. He had some good run blocks against backups, but looked like he may have tired a bit on some reps.

Overall, he was much better than Carman has been in pass pro, although Carman usually generates more push on the ground. This team needs to be all about keeping Burrow upright, so I would say Cordell did what he needed to and should have a sizable lead.

NDSU1980
08-22-2022, 02:26 AM
Well he sure got some good praise on that last Bengals TD.

blackdiamond2
08-25-2022, 09:40 PM
Was Volson involved in Aaron Donald helmet swing? that is all over Twitter.

tony
08-25-2022, 10:31 PM
Was Volson involved in Aaron Donald helmet swing? that is all over Twitter.

Well, that is what Twitter is saying (i.e. Volson got hit on the head with a helmet and then threw Donald down.)

My favorite tweet: "If anyone goes swinging helmets at this guy he’ll wreck your shop!" Brenda Entz on Cordell Volson on Volson knocking AD ass over tea kettle.

EC8CH
08-25-2022, 11:56 PM
Well, that is what Twitter is saying (i.e. Volson got hit on the head with a helmet and then threw Donald down.)

My favorite tweet: "If anyone goes swinging helmets at this guy he’ll wreck your shop!" Brenda Entz on Cordell Volson on Volson knocking AD ass over tea kettle.

Bwahaha!!!!!!!

Rock
08-26-2022, 03:43 AM
https://twitter.com/DrewGarrison/status/1562516006865870849?s=20&t=9FWGBeFXGh4TZP1PmCYVew

From yesterday

El_Chapo
08-26-2022, 03:47 AM
kick his ass Volson!

Rock
08-26-2022, 12:40 PM
https://twitter.com/willie_lutz/status/1563002619345670145?s=20&t=emHEfKAST2ChpvHiREJorg

Rock
08-26-2022, 12:41 PM
https://twitter.com/JamesRapien/status/1562874006113746944?s=20&t=emHEfKAST2ChpvHiREJorg

Rock
08-26-2022, 12:41 PM
https://twitter.com/dpainclain/status/1562889358352728067?s=20&t=emHEfKAST2ChpvHiREJorg

Rock
08-26-2022, 12:43 PM
I think Aaron was embarrassed by Cordell on Wednesday…. Then Thursday Aaron get SPICY baby.

Lol

Rock
08-26-2022, 12:45 PM
Look out for the Bengals this year. Multiple people stating very confidently that Volson was the piece needed to keep Burrows upright.

Like Joe Burrows, only with more time…. Former Bison ball boy?

scottietohottie
08-26-2022, 12:52 PM
Won't have to worry about that foo showing up in Balfour eh.

scottietohottie
08-26-2022, 12:58 PM
From watching him play high-school basketball to where he is now is pretty freaking impressive.

Rock
08-26-2022, 01:46 PM
Welcome to Bison Football Mastery Class 601 Aaron Donald.

Semester 1 Syllabus:

Recognize that you are already our bitch. You may simply not realize it yet. TM

123Gobison
08-26-2022, 06:42 PM
If it was Travis Beck on the other side, Aaron Donald career would have ended on that field on that same day.

scottietohottie
08-26-2022, 07:03 PM
If it was Travis Beck on the other side, Aaron Donald career would have ended on that field on that same day.

Nobody fucks around in calio eh.

Rock
08-26-2022, 08:06 PM

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Travis Beck before he dares close his eyes.

BisonHorns
08-26-2022, 11:24 PM
Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Travis Beck before he dares close his eyes.

Travis Beck shows up in Freddy Krueger's dreams.

southcliffbison
08-27-2022, 04:23 AM
Travis Beck.......the kid had a lot of guts........in my top 10 all time favorite Bison.

WeAreThePride
08-27-2022, 12:25 PM
Nobody fucks around in calio eh.

Trust me. Plenty of people fuck around in Calio.

Rock
08-27-2022, 01:12 PM
Trust me. Plenty of people fuck around in Calio.

With Travis Beck around. They have no choice.

ndsubison1
08-27-2022, 01:21 PM
Is Rozeboom still on the Rams? Surprised he didnt take out an ankle.

Bisman
09-21-2022, 08:08 PM
Cordell Volson was graded by Pro Football Focus as the best rookie offensive lineman in the NFL in Week 2.

Update of 15 former Bison in the NFL

https://gobison.com/news/2022/9/21/football-probison-update-ndsu-in-the-nfl-week-2.aspx

bajadanny
10-10-2022, 02:31 AM
Cordel doing a damn good job tonight

EC8CH
10-10-2022, 03:08 AM
Cordel doing a damn good job tonight

Lots of runs on that go ahead drive right to his side.

tony
11-21-2022, 07:48 PM
I remember a discussion about "in the NFL getting downfield on blocks doesn't matter."

Here's a play where it did - it was the difference between 1st and goal at the 7 and a TD: Bison Report: "Cordell Volson. Athlete (https://twitter.com/BisonReport/status/1594452694944587776)

Snowgoose
11-21-2022, 07:55 PM
I remember a discussion about "in the NFL getting downfield on blocks doesn't matter."

Here's a play where it did - it was the difference between 1st and goal at the 7 and a TD: Bison Report: "Cordell Volson. Athlete (https://twitter.com/BisonReport/status/1594452694944587776)

They showed that touchdown during the Vikes game and it was the only thing worthwhile I saw while watching the first half of the game. Luckily my son had BB practice so I missed the second half. Volson looks great out there.

IndyBison
11-21-2022, 08:58 PM

Here's a play where it did - it was the difference between 1st and goal at the 7 and a TD: Bison Report: "Cordell Volson. Athlete (https://twitter.com/BisonReport/status/1594452694944587776)It was a screen pass, and Volson was 7 yards ahead of him when the pass was caught. The ball was snapped inside the 30, and the runner slowed down to let his blockers (including Volson) set up their blocks. This was not the type of play discussed in those threads.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

tony
11-21-2022, 10:18 PM
It was a screen pass, and Volson was 7 yards ahead of him when the pass was caught. The ball was snapped inside the 30, and the runner slowed down to let his blockers (including Volson) set up their blocks. This was not the type of play discussed in those threads.

I tend to skim over the stupidest stuff so you are probably right.

All I know is that when I watch that clip, I want Cordell on the team I'm rooting for.

Big Bird
11-21-2022, 11:21 PM

All I know is that when I watch that clip, I want Cordell on the team I'm rooting for.

It's been fun having him on the Bengals. He's got the right attitude and all of the veteran linemen gush about him

He's continued to look better and better. Yesterday was a great example as he squared off against future hall of famer (I know he isn't a super big name but he'll be in the HoF) Cam Heyward for the second time, with the first time being week 1. It was a night and day difference, in a good way. He did occasionally struggle to anchor, but that happens to literally every guy Heyward faces. If not for some nifty defensive holding by Heyward on some stunts (he does it regularly and it's tough to see live, so I get why the officials consistently miss it), Cordell's day would've been even better.

https://twitter.com/BrandonThornNFL/status/1594792026939195396

IndyBison
11-22-2022, 12:51 AM

All I know is that when I watch that clip, I want Cordell on the team I'm rooting for.Agreed! Not every lineman can do what he did on this play but having linemen downfield leading on running plays is very rare and an unlikely expectation.

tony
11-30-2022, 05:30 PM
I turned on the Volson v Radunz game (Bengals v Titans) just as Volson pancaked a guy in the hole in front of the back scoring a TD. So that was cool.

I saw some pretty low pass blocking grades though.

Big Bird
12-04-2022, 11:28 PM
Cordell played great today and Chris Jones was a non-factor all day. They ran well, protected Burrow very well, and didn't make any penalties. He's only getting better

tony
12-04-2022, 11:39 PM
Cordell played great today and Chris Jones was a non-factor all day. They ran well, protected Burrow very well, and didn't make any penalties. He's only getting better

All week I saw tweets about Cordell like this one: Volson, a fourth-round rookie out of NDSU, is the weak link on Cincy’s line (https://twitter.com/Arrowhead_Adam/status/1599436731945979904)

If Cordell is the weak link, then they must have one helluva line.

BTW, the Benchwarmers interview is now a month old so I'll repeat his story: In the UND game last year, Cordell blasts one of UND's LBs practically into the lap of one of UND's defense coaches and then says, "Hey coach, I brought you something." After the game, the UND coach tried to start something with him and Cordell, still kinda in game mode, is all, "WHICH ONE DO YOU WANT?" Luckily, one of his line mates pulled him back out of trouble. Note: You should still listen to that episode.

El_Chapo
12-04-2022, 11:53 PM
Was he at LG at the end of the game instead of RG?

HerdistheWord
12-04-2022, 11:57 PM
Was he at LG at the end of the game instead of RG?

Hasn’t he been LG all season?

mtoutfitter
12-05-2022, 12:30 AM
Hasn’t he been LG all season?

Yes, the great football mind must have missed that.

56BISON73
12-05-2022, 01:04 AM
Yes, the great football mind must have missed that.

Now we know why he hasnt seen him all season.:D

El_Chapo
12-05-2022, 02:51 AM
shit I thought he was in at RG a few times. f it Bengals looking good lately

tony
12-05-2022, 01:48 PM
shit I thought he was in at RG a few times. f it Bengals looking good lately

To be fair, I thought so too (in previous games, that is.)

123Gobison
12-05-2022, 01:57 PM
To be fair, I thought so too (in previous games, that is.)

Cordell Volson fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_mWo7Fn0vA

Big Bird
12-05-2022, 08:21 PM
All week I saw tweets about Cordell like this one: Volson, a fourth-round rookie out of NDSU, is the weak link on Cincy’s line (https://twitter.com/Arrowhead_Adam/status/1599436731945979904)

If Cordell is the weak link, then they must have one helluva line.

BTW, the Benchwarmers interview is now a month old so I'll repeat his story: In the UND game last year, Cordell blasts one of UND's LBs practically into the lap of one of UND's defense coaches and then says, "Hey coach, I brought you something." After the game, the UND coach tried to start something with him and Cordell, still kinda in game mode, is all, "WHICH ONE DO YOU WANT?" Luckily, one of his line mates pulled him back out of trouble. Note: You should still listen to that episode.

He hasn't been the weak link since like week 3, so I'm pretty sure that guy doesn't watch the games. He has a three game stretch where he has gone up against 3 all pro caliber guys in Cam Heyward, Jeffrey Simmons, and Chris Jones and only gave up 1 pressure and one sack (which was on a defensive holding that allowed a stunt to get home, it just wasn't called.)

At least through their early look, Cordell was the highest graded Bengal yesterday (I would've thought Burrow would be #1 and Perine #2).

https://twitter.com/PFF_Bengals/status/1599840217803825153

SDbison
12-05-2022, 08:48 PM
Cordell Volson fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_mWo7Fn0vA I don't want to know how you knew that video existed.

123Gobison
12-05-2022, 09:17 PM
I don't want to know how you knew that video existed.

I am a man of great taste.

tony
12-08-2022, 01:53 PM
Nice to see that Bengals fans are pretty high on Volson:

Bengals rookie LG Cordell Volson produces clean sheet vs. Chiefs - Cincy Jungle (https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/12/7/23495892/nfl-week-13-bengals-chiefs-rookie-report-cordell-volson-cam-taylor-britt)

72 snaps. Nothing given up. No hits. No hurries. No sacks.

tony
12-21-2022, 12:50 PM
Cordell in the NFL (possibly NSFW):

Pat McAfee on Twitter: ""HOW GOOD IS THAT" ~@aqshipley #PMSLive https://t.co/a3iRtWjLYR" / Twitter (https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1605307317393977346)

OrygunBison
12-21-2022, 02:26 PM

Pat McAfee on Twitter: ""HOW GOOD IS THAT" ~@aqshipley #PMSLive https://t.co/a3iRtWjLYR" / Twitter (https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1605307317393977346)

That's pretty much awesome.

SDbison
12-21-2022, 03:24 PM

Pat McAfee on Twitter: ""HOW GOOD IS THAT" ~@aqshipley #PMSLive https://t.co/a3iRtWjLYR" / Twitter (https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1605307317393977346) That was such a good play / hit they think Cordell is in his 2nd year in the NFL.

Jim Puetz
12-21-2022, 03:57 PM
I want to see our LG go that in the Natty

Bisman
01-13-2023, 06:37 PM
Sports Info Solutions Names Cordell Volson First-Team All-Rookie Guard

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/sports-info-solutions-names-cordell-volson-first-team-all-rookie-guard

Bisman
01-15-2023, 02:24 AM
Cordell Volson may hail from a tiny North Dakota town, but he’ll play a huge postseason role for the Bengals

https://www.cleveland.com/bengals/2023/01/why-cordell-volsons-evolution-will-play-a-massive-role-for-the-bengals-in-the-postseason.html

Professor Chaos
01-16-2023, 02:06 PM
Cordell Volson may hail from a tiny North Dakota town, but he’ll play a huge postseason role for the Bengals

https://www.cleveland.com/bengals/2023/01/why-cordell-volsons-evolution-will-play-a-massive-role-for-the-bengals-in-the-postseason.html
Even moreso now that they lost their LT Jonah Williams (after losing 2 other starting o-lineman over the last few weeks). Jackson Carman really struggled filling in and I thought he was the guy Cordell beat out for the starting LG spot in the preseason. I wonder if Cordell gets a look at LT this week???

Big Bird
01-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Even moreso now that they lost their LT Jonah Williams (after losing 2 other starting o-lineman over the last few weeks). Jackson Carman really struggled filling in and I thought he was the guy Cordell beat out for the starting LG spot in the preseason. I wonder if Cordell gets a look at LT this week???

Cordell will not get a look at LT. Even with Jonah presumably out for the season, the Bengals still have 4 guys who can play tackle (although not that well) in Adeniji, Carman, D'Ante Smith, and Isaiah Prince.

Bengals options at LT are essentially: Roll with Carman (who Cordell did beat out for LG, but was a LT at Clemson) at LT and Adeniji at RT or Move Adeniji to LT and start Isaiah Prince at RT. Prince was the starter for the playoffs last year and struggled mightily while Carman exceeded my (very low) expectations last night. Adeniji has the speed and quickness for LT but he's settled in fairly well at RT after La'el Collins got hurt a few weeks ago.

I think they'll roll with Carman at LT and just rely on Burrow continuing to get rid of it in under 2.5 seconds, although Adeniji has the best physical profile to play LT.

My dream scenario is for them to sign Andrew Whitworth and let him practice this week, but not play, and be ready for a potential AFC championship game and Super Bowl. Won't happen, but it'd be an awesome story.

Big Bird
01-22-2023, 09:49 PM
Volson has been GREAT today!

He and Ted Karras are the only starters still healthy7 and Karras got hurt early in this one. Even with a hobbled center and a backup G playing LT, the left side of the line has opened holes and kept Burrow clean.

scottietohottie
01-22-2023, 10:11 PM
Wonder if teh nodakers from small-time will get to play fcs eh?

scottietohottie
01-23-2023, 12:19 PM
Seemed like they ran to teh left a lot eh.

tony
01-23-2023, 12:23 PM

In the highlights, I thought I saw him not dominate the guy across from him on one play (a pass for a TD or something), but I could've been mistaken.

Snowgoose
01-23-2023, 01:35 PM

I thought so too. On one QB sneak on like second and two Burrow went behind Volson and those were the only two that made it past the first down marker although they brought it back to a couple inches short. I didn’t watch the whole game but when I did he sure seemed to be playing well.

DCinOK
01-23-2023, 05:17 PM
I focused on Volson a lot during the game, and he almost always bulldozed his matchup....a great game.

Professor Chaos
01-23-2023, 05:35 PM
Video is grainy but looks like a Cordell sighting behind Karras as he delivers a game ball from yesterday's game to a local watering hole in Cincy.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1617588748480569344

Men of the people!

WhoRepsTheLurker
01-23-2023, 07:18 PM
Video is grainy but looks like a Cordell sighting behind Karras as he delivers a game ball from yesterday's game to a local watering hole in Cincy.

Men of the people!

https://www.bengals.com/photos/photos-ted-karras-cordell-volson-game-balls-oak-tavern

Better photos, with 67 enjoying frosty one behind the bar

My mother in law is now a Bengals fan for the playoffs (so am I)

southcliffbison
01-23-2023, 10:42 PM

Men of the people!

Gotta like anyone who wears Carharts for a night on the town. Sales of Carhart hoodies will tick up in Balfour.

BigLakeBison
01-23-2023, 11:53 PM
Gotta like anyone who wears Carharts for a night on the town. Sales of Carhart hoodies will tick up in Balfour.

Carhart clothing has become somewhat of a chic clothing item with the young crowd. Both my daughter and son have multiple hoodies, stocking caps and baseball caps. Given Cordell’s background he may be in fact just wearing it for more practical purposes and not trying to be stylish but it probably wouldn’t be uncommon to see a carhart hoodie at a bar.

oldmantutters
01-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Gotta like anyone who wears Carharts for a night on the town. Sales of Carhart hoodies will tick up in Balfour.I don't know if that is possible

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Big Bird
01-24-2023, 10:58 PM
I'd argue the whole OL deserved a game ball, but Joe Mixon got one.

Mixon immediately tossed it to a (deserving) Cordell

https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/1617331072001359880

GFBison
01-26-2023, 12:36 AM
I focused on Volson a lot during the game, and he almost always bulldozed his matchup....a great game.

Voldozer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbline
01-26-2023, 02:47 PM
Voldozer.

You need to copyright that.

1998braves64
01-29-2023, 10:50 PM
Volson just got blown up on the 3rd down play and gave up a sack.

heffray
01-29-2023, 11:00 PM
Volson just got blown up on the 3rd down play and gave up a sack.

I watched that and I don’t think it was Volson, he was engaged with a guy pretty good and it looked like the LT missed…

scottietohottie
01-29-2023, 11:02 PM
I watched that and I don’t think it was Volson, he was engaged with a guy pretty good and it looked like the LT missed…

The guy Cordell was supposed to be blocking got inside position on Cordell and drove him back into the left tackle eh. That was Cordell eh.

scottietohottie
01-29-2023, 11:03 PM
Roehl would have ran there eh. So Cordell wasn't thinking pass block eh

heffray
01-29-2023, 11:04 PM
The guy Cordell was supposed to be blocking got inside position on Cordell and drove him back into the left tackle eh. That was Cordell eh.

I must have missed that. All the other plays I’ve been watching and he’s playing well.

GreenfieldBison
01-29-2023, 11:05 PM

It was Volson. Romo even called him out. His guy did not get the sack but he made it inevitable.

heffray
01-29-2023, 11:10 PM
It was Volson. Romo even called him out. His guy did not get the sack but he made it inevitable.

Audio is not on where I am at. Thanks.

GreenfieldBison
01-29-2023, 11:18 PM
Audio is not on where I am at. Thanks.

You’re right though, other than that play he has been solid so far…

El_Chapo
01-29-2023, 11:37 PM
much better after that 1st bull rush sack

1998braves64
01-30-2023, 12:13 AM
I watched that and I don’t think it was Volson, he was engaged with a guy pretty good and it looked like the LT missed…The one I saw was definitely Volson (color guy even said left guard) he got driven 3-5 yards into the backfield on the first bull rush then lost him when burrow scrambled right and the defender was able to shed him and get to burrow.

heffray
01-30-2023, 01:02 AM
Critical Holding call on Volson there…

El_Chapo
01-30-2023, 01:04 AM
that KC flopped his head back!!! wtf.

scottietohottie
01-30-2023, 01:28 AM
Goodell wants kc in teh superbowl eh. The ref just got teh text

bisonaudit
01-30-2023, 01:28 AM
It’s like the ‘72 Olympic basketball fiasco out there all of a sudden.

El_Chapo
01-30-2023, 01:29 AM
KC gets bailed out ok 5th and 4

scottietohottie
01-30-2023, 02:00 AM
Holding way before the late hit. 91 was being held. Fuck you nfl.

1998braves64
01-30-2023, 09:50 AM
Holding way before the late hit. 91 was being held. Fuck you nfl.You missed the blatant block in the back on the point return!

oldmantutters
01-30-2023, 05:14 PM
You missed the blatant block in the back on the point return!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using TapatalkWhich one? I saw at least two on that return.

1998braves64
01-30-2023, 05:21 PM
Which one? I saw at least two on that return.

The one at about the 35-40 yard line and the guy would have had a much better position to make a tackle on the returner if he hadn't been picking himself up off the turf, and then getting blocked by the two guys that shoved him in the back nearly simultaneously. The other one I saw was meh, Bengals player slowed down and KC guy ran into him a bit.

That late hit out of bounds on Mahomes sort of irked me but as soon as I saw it live they're going to flag that the way those refs were throwing flags on Bengals the whole game. If he'd done it a step sooner maybe not a flag. Mahomes sold that out pretty well.

scottietohottie
01-30-2023, 05:49 PM
That late hit out of bounds on Mahomes sort of irked me but as soon as I saw it live they're going to flag that the way those refs were throwing flags on Bengals the whole game. If he'd done it a step sooner maybe not a flag. Mahomes sold that out pretty well.

Besides the fact that the defensive end on the opposite side of the play would have sacked Mahomes if he hadn't been held by 2 linemen. He got through and they held him by the jersey. You could see the jersey being pulled from behind.

Here comes the reffin ain't easy bros post eh. Philly had an incomplete pass called complete and rushed to the line and got another play off. First quarter. Don't tell me that couldn't have changed the game.

Kevin
01-30-2023, 06:35 PM
Referees are reptiles who work for both the illuminati and the albanian mafia.

you can always rely on them to do something lizardy when it counts.

Bisonator98
01-30-2023, 06:40 PM
Besides the fact that the defensive end on the opposite side of the play would have sacked Mahomes if he hadn't been held by 2 linemen. He got through and they held him by the jersey. You could see the jersey being pulled from behind.

Here comes the reffin ain't easy bros post eh. Philly had an incomplete pass called complete and rushed to the line and got another play off. First quarter. Don't tell me that couldn't have changed the game.

Yeah I thought the officiating was pretty one sided in favor of both home teams. Seemed like the NFL wanted a Philly/KC matchup no matter what they had to do to get it. Must be the Andy Reid or Kelce Bros angle they wanted to sell for the next 2 weeks. Can't imagine how many times we will have to hear about those things.

Kevin
01-30-2023, 07:36 PM
i'm going to laugh when the refs find a way to give KC a 6th down in the super bowl and then flag coach seriousanni for being italian

then indy will show up and be like ackshually paragraph 5-2D of the rule book says that's expressly forbidden it was written in 1877 and just hasn't been widely enforced. but RULES ARE RULES BROS

IndyBison
01-30-2023, 10:23 PM
Yeah I thought the officiating was pretty one sided in favor of both home teams. Seemed like the NFL wanted a Philly/KC matchup no matter what they had to do to get it. Must be the Andy Reid or Kelce Bros angle they wanted to sell for the next 2 weeks. Can't imagine how many times we will have to hear about those things.If it was one-sided, why did the officials call a hold against the Chiefs on a TD run that resulted in them only getting a FG. Why did they rule Mahomes short on a run that had to be corrected by replay? I could probably point out 10-15 plays where if the game was fixed, a call could have gone the other way. This is such a ridiculous accusation, I don't know why I'm replying. There is no way the crew or an official could fix a game. You would need to have the players and coaches in on it, too.

I haven't watched the first part of the last Mahomes run again to see this potential hold I keep hearing about. But on that play, let's say a defender in the front side of the run hits Mahomes in bounds, and he fumbles? Then, the "missed" hold had no impact on the game.

You can think the officials are fixing the outcome of the league by directing certain things to happen. But everyone participating would have to be in on it, and that's just not possible. Someone would rat. Even Donaghy wasn't accused of fixing games. He just bet on tendencies, which he definitely shouldn't do. And that's if you believe half of what he said (I don't). Officials are even allowed to walk into a casino during the season. In the off-season, they need to get permission. They also can't play fantasy sports in any league or the NCAA basketball pool. Any of those could result in termination.

heffray
01-30-2023, 10:53 PM
Hey Indy, can officials suck at their job sometimes? Asking for a friend…

Big Bird
01-31-2023, 12:08 AM
If it was one-sided, why did the officials call a hold against the Chiefs on a TD run that resulted in them only getting a FG. Why did they rule Mahomes short on a run that had to be corrected by replay? I could probably point out 10-15 plays where if the game was fixed, a call could have gone the other way. This is such a ridiculous accusation, I don't know why I'm replying. There is no way the crew or an official could fix a game. You would need to have the players and coaches in on it, too.

I haven't watched the first part of the last Mahomes run again to see this potential hold I keep hearing about. But on that play, let's say a defender in the front side of the run hits Mahomes in bounds, and he fumbles? Then, the "missed" hold had no impact on the game.

You can think the officials are fixing the outcome of the league by directing certain things to happen. But everyone participating would have to be in on it, and that's just not possible. Someone would rat. Even Donaghy wasn't accused of fixing games. He just bet on tendencies, which he definitely shouldn't do. And that's if you believe half of what he said (I don't). Officials are even allowed to walk into a casino during the season. In the off-season, they need to get permission. They also can't play fantasy sports in any league or the NCAA basketball pool. Any of those could result in termination.

That was utter non-sense.

The Bengals lost because of a correctly called boneheaded penalty, after they failed to win it with their offense with 2 minutes to go. That being said....

The officials were atrocious and all of the most dubious calls/no calls went in favor of the Chiefs. Maybe they aren't rigging/fixing the game intentionally, but it sure appeared that way. I don't know whether it was their unconscious bias creeping forward, them intentionally benefitting KC, or just incompetence, but something was going on.

The final roughing call was fine (even if Mahomes 100% flopped), but the 3rd quarter was the worst officiated quarter I've seen in a long time, maybe ever. The 3rd down do-over after a minute of real time elapsed and when the Chiefs had already lined up to punt was a crock of shit, and an embarrassment. Same drive, the DPI on Mike Hilton to give the Chiefs a 1st down on a third down incompletion, even drew disagreement from Gene Steratore on the broadcast (who disagrees with officials like twice a year). That was two crucial bad calls in quick succession to extend the Chiefs drive, which forced the Bengals D to be on the field longer and get 3(!!!) legitimate drive ending stops on one drive vs the sure fire, soon to be 3x MVP. That is some utter bullshit. They didn't give up points, but that adds to their defensive fatigue, kept Mahomes warm, and kept the Bengals offense off the field.

As for the final play, I thought it would've been a weak hold call, but Brown was holding all game, and getting away with it. Brown was beaten by speed numerous times and continually resorted to his version of a snatch trap, which was grabbing Hendrickson's left shoulder pad and just holding on as long as possible, yet never got called.

The officials did suck, but the Bengals also failed to execute in all 3 phases with a chance to win. Both are true

IndyBison
01-31-2023, 12:08 AM
Hey Indy, can officials suck at their job sometimes? Asking for a friend…Yes, they make mistakes. They very rarely suck. If you were to add up so the mistakes a crew makes in a game, it's probably less than any one player makes in a game. Cordell gets beat by a defender and bend him back around the neck bringing back a long gain. That's a pretty big mistake. Did he suck at his job? No. He made 2 mistakes on the play. The mistake by Ossai on the last play to push Mahomes 3 yards OOB was huge. He may have cost the Bengals a chance to win in OT. That's a bigger mistake than any official made. Does he suck? No. He just made a mistake.

The issue is many of the comments I'm seeing are accusing the officials of intentionally making calls certain ways at the direction of the league or because they have been bribed by someone outside the game. That is very different than saying you disagree with a judgment call or that the call was wrong. Even saying all the close calls went against one team or the other is fine. But to accuse the official of cheating is abusive.

The play many are talking about with the side judge running in to kill the play. He was absolutely right to do what he did. The boys made it impossible for anyone to hear. One of my friends told me they can't hear each other on their radios when it's loud like that. The mistake on that play was the referee winding the clock on the ready for play. Someone else on the crew (likely the BJ) should have been the one to remind him of the clock status, so he made a mistake. Do they suck at their jobs? No. They made mistakes. The guy responsible for monitoring the game clock saw it running so he tried to correct the error.

heffray
01-31-2023, 12:13 AM
Yes, they make mistakes. They very rarely suck. If you were to add up so the mistakes a crew makes in a game, it's probably less than any one player makes in a game. Cordell gets beat by a defender and bend him back around the neck bringing back a long gain. That's a pretty big mistake. Did he suck at his job? No. He made 2 mistakes on the play. The mistake by Ossai on the last play to push Mahomes 3 yards OOB was huge. He may have cost the Bengals a chance to win in OT. That's a bigger mistake than any official made. Does he suck? No. He just made a mistake.

The issue is many of the comments I'm seeing are accusing the officials of intentionally making calls certain ways at the direction of the league or because they have been bribed by someone outside the game. That is very different than saying you disagree with a judgment call or that the call was wrong. Even saying all the close calls went against one team or the other is fine. But to accuse the official of cheating is abusive.

The play many are talking about with the side judge running in to kill the play. He was absolutely right to do what he did. The boys made it impossible for anyone to hear. One of my friends told me they can't hear each other on their radios when it's loud like that. The mistake on that play was the referee winding the clock on the ready for play. Someone else on the crew (likely the BJ) should have been the one to remind him of the clock status, so he made a mistake. Do they suck at their jobs? No. They made mistakes. The guy responsible for monitoring the game clock saw it running so he tried to correct the error.

I agree there is not likely a conspiracy here.

Big Bird
01-31-2023, 12:14 AM
Yes, they make mistakes. They very rarely suck. If you were to add up so the mistakes a crew makes in a game, it's probably less than any one player makes in a game. Cordell gets beat by a defender and bend him back around the neck bringing back a long gain. That's a pretty big mistake. Did he suck at his job? No. He made 2 mistakes on the play. The mistake by Ossai on the last play to push Mahomes 3 yards OOB was huge. He may have cost the Bengals a chance to win in OT. That's a bigger mistake than any official made. Does he suck? No. He just made a mistake.

The Chiefs were at home and on offense...it wasn't loud in Arrowhead for that play.

IndyBison
01-31-2023, 12:19 AM
That was utter non-sense.

The Bengals lost because of a correctly called boneheaded penalty, after they failed to win it with their offense with 2 minutes to go. That being said....

The officials were atrocious and all of the most dubious calls/no calls went in favor of the Chiefs. Maybe they aren't rigging/fixing the game intentionally, but it sure appeared that way. I don't know whether it was their unconscious bias creeping forward, them intentionally benefitting KC, or just incompetence, but something was going on.

The final roughing call was fine (even if Mahomes 100% flopped), but the 3rd quarter was the worst officiated quarter I've seen in a long time, maybe ever. The 3rd down do-over after a minute of real time elapsed and when the Chiefs had already lined up to punt was a crock of shit, and an embarrassment. Same drive, the DPI on Mike Hilton to give the Chiefs a 1st down on a third down incompletion, even drew disagreement from Gene Steratore on the broadcast (who disagrees with officials like twice a year). That was two crucial bad calls in quick succession to extend the Chiefs drive, which forced the Bengals D to be on the field longer and get 3(!!!) legitimate drive ending stops on one drive vs the sure fire, soon to be 3x MVP. That is some utter bullshit. They didn't give up points, but that adds to their defensive fatigue, kept Mahomes warm, and kept the Bengals offense off the field.

As for the final play, I thought it would've been a weak hold call, but Brown was holding all game, and getting away with it. Brown was beaten by speed numerous times and continually resorted to his version of a snatch trap, which was grabbing Hendrickson's left shoulder pad and just holding on as long as possible, yet never got called.

The officials did suck, but the Bengals also failed to execute in all 3 phases with a chance to win. Both are trueMajomes was beyond the white, which is 2 yards wide. It was only a push, but it was enough to knock him off balance. There was no flop.

The DPI was a judgment call. That category of a DPI is a hook and turn. He definitely hooked when he reached around. The covering official has to determine if there was enough of a turn with one view in real time at full speed. The replay I saw I thought it was enough to flag. Gene didn't. That's fine. There will rarely be 100% agreement on those tight calls. I respect Gene and value his opinion. The supervisor and grader of that official may feel differently. Gene isn't in those meetings any longer.

If you watch these games and think they are rigged, I can only suggest you stop watching. You will never enjoy a game again. There will always be close calls you feel go against your team. Your judgment may be biased if you are cheering for a team. Every team that the Bison beat thinks their games are rigged because everyone wants the Bison to win. No Bison fan thinks that because their perspective is different.

Big Bird
01-31-2023, 01:10 AM
Majomes was beyond the white, which is 2 yards wide. It was only a push, but it was enough to knock him off balance. There was no flop.

The DPI was a judgment call. That category of a DPI is a hook and turn. He definitely hooked when he reached around. The covering official has to determine if there was enough of a turn with one view in real time at full speed. The replay I saw I thought it was enough to flag. Gene didn't. That's fine. There will rarely be 100% agreement on those tight calls. I respect Gene and value his opinion. The supervisor and grader of that official may feel differently. Gene isn't in those meetings any longer.

If you watch these games and think they are rigged, I can only suggest you stop watching. You will never enjoy a game again. There will always be close calls you feel go against your team. Your judgment may be biased if you are cheering for a team. Every team that the Bison beat thinks their games are rigged because everyone wants the Bison to win. No Bison fan thinks that because their perspective is different.

This was the first time I've actually though about it, because usually the calls balance out or are reasonable. Even two posts ago, I blamed the loss on their inability to execute in all 3 phases of the game in the final 2 minutes. Still, when judgment calls only go one way, you start to wonder. I'd rather just watch a game and not notice the refs. The procedural error that resulted in a do-over is inexcusable. That was a high leverage, critical play and they screwed it up. They affected the flow and potentially the outcome of the game, and put player safety in increased peril because of their mistake. The Chiefs had the ball and were playing at home...it wasn't loud.

I didn't even mention the overturned 4th down that benefitted the Chiefs (in the third quarter). They were ruled short of a 1st down, forcing 4th and 1 on a play the WR reached the ball out and pulled it back voluntarily prior to being down. If you voluntarily pull the ball back prior to being down and not crossing the goal line, you aren't entitled to that distance. It can be a judment call if they deem the defender forced him to go backwards, but again it went in favor of KC. There was also expedited replay needed for Cincy to not burn a challenge on a Mahomes sack that the officials didn't call (in the third quarter).

Whether intentional or not, the optics of the officiating was horrendous and I'm far from the only one who thinks that.

IndyBison
01-31-2023, 02:18 AM
This was the first time I've actually though about it, because usually the calls balance out or are reasonable. Even two posts ago, I blamed the loss on their inability to execute in all 3 phases of the game in the final 2 minutes. Still, when judgment calls only go one way, you start to wonder. I'd rather just watch a game and not notice the refs. The procedural error that resulted in a do-over is inexcusable. That was a high leverage, critical play and they screwed it up. They affected the flow and potentially the outcome of the game, and put player safety in increased peril because of their mistake. The Chiefs had the ball and were playing at home...it wasn't loud.

I didn't even mention the overturned 4th down that benefitted the Chiefs (in the third quarter). They were ruled short of a 1st down, forcing 4th and 1 on a play the WR reached the ball out and pulled it back voluntarily prior to being down. If you voluntarily pull the ball back prior to being down and not crossing the goal line, you aren't entitled to that distance. It can be a judment call if they deem the defender forced him to go backwards, but again it went in favor of KC. There was also expedited replay needed for Cincy to not burn a challenge on a Mahomes sack that the officials didn't call (in the third quarter).

Whether intentional or not, the optics of the officiating was horrendous and I'm far from the only one who thinks that.

I know nobody believes this but as an official you are so focused into the game most of the time you don't think about which team is committing what act. It's just two different jersey colors. And you aren't aware if any close calls are going one way or another. We don't know the foul count until we do our foul report in the locker room.

There was no do-over. It was a never was. Just like a FG attempt that gets shut down because a coach called TO. Sometimes the snap still happens, and the kick is made. That's as much of a do-over as this play was. The delay here was because the other officials didn't realize he was trying to shut it down. It was still loud enough nobody heard him running in blowing his whistle. That includes 22 players on the field, 6 other officials, everyone on the sideline, and the fans in the stands. Video clearly shows he was coming in before the ball was snapped.

I called one of my NFL friends today and asked about the voluntary pull back, because I thought that was the NFL rule (especially at the goal line). He said not really. He had one this year that was similar, and it was ruled and supported the same way replay overturned that one. The way replay ruled is the way we would rule in NCAA and NFHS.

The expedited rulings are happening because on plays like that they are told to let it play out and have replay assist if the one or shin was down. If you don't like that approach then blame the expansion of replay. Someone screamed for a sky judge, and that's essentially what that was. Replay was also able to share either the location of the intentional grounding or confirm there were no receivers in the area. Anytime you hear "after further discussion, the ruling on the field is..." that is the replay official sharing information that can help clarify something for the crew. I think overall it's been used well. If the officials were truly against the Bengals, I guess they could have not did that and made them burn a challenge.

BigLakeBison
01-31-2023, 02:31 AM
I know nobody believes this but as an official you are so focused into the game most of the time you don't think about which team is committing what act. It's just two different jersey colors. And you aren't aware if any close calls are going one way or another. We don't know the foul count until we do our foul report in the locker room.

There was no do-over. It was a never was. Just like a FG attempt that gets shut down because a coach called TO. Sometimes the snap still happens, and the kick is made. That's as much of a do-over as this play was. The delay here was because the other officials didn't realize he was trying to shut it down. It was still loud enough nobody heard him running in blowing his whistle. That includes 22 players on the field, 6 other officials, everyone on the sideline, and the fans in the stands. Video clearly shows he was coming in before the ball was snapped.

I called one of my NFL friends today and asked about the voluntary pull back, because I thought that was the NFL rule (especially at the goal line). He said not really. He had one this year that was similar, and it was ruled and supported the same way replay overturned that one. The way replay ruled is the way we would rule in NCAA and NFHS.

The expedited rulings are happening because on plays like that they are told to let it play out and have replay assist if the one or shin was down. If you don't like that approach then blame the expansion of replay. Someone screamed for a sky judge, and that's essentially what that was. Replay was also able to share either the location of the intentional grounding or confirm there were no receivers in the area. Anytime you hear "after further discussion, the ruling on the field is..." that is the replay official sharing information that can help clarify something for the crew. I think overall it's been used well. If the officials were truly against the Bengals, I guess they could have not did that and made them burn a challenge.

I don’t believe the officials were against the Bengals. I also don’t believe that crew did an admirable job of officiating. It’s ok to say that.

IndyBison
01-31-2023, 02:42 AM
I don’t believe the officials were against the Bengals. I also don’t believe that crew did an admirable job of officiating. It’s ok to say that.It's definitely OK to say that, and on that we can respectfully disagree. And like CAS sharing his insight into player skills and schemes, I hope I have a little more credibility than most in evaluating the actual performance of the crew.

The issue I have is all the posts I've been seeing lately all over social media about how the game is obviously rigged out the officials screwed team A or they should all be fired. There is a huge difference in those 2 approaches.

steelbison
01-31-2023, 04:07 AM
It's definitely OK to say that, and on that we can respectfully disagree. And like CAS sharing his insight into player skills and schemes, I hope I have a little more credibility than most in evaluating the actual performance of the crew.

The issue I have is all the posts I've been seeing lately all over social media about how the game is obviously rigged out the officials screwed team A or they should all be fired. There is a huge difference in those 2 approaches.

Indy. The game was horribly officiated. Anybody but you watching agrees. I get it. I’ve never seen you say anything bad about an official. You are a homer. Again that’s ok but you are the least objective person on poor calls.

tjamz
01-31-2023, 07:18 AM
Referees are reptiles who work for both the illuminati and the albanian mafia.

you can always rely on them to do something lizardy when it counts.They're amphibians bro. They don't respect our Authoritah!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk