PDA

View Full Version : SHAC Atmosphere

MankatoBison
02-22-2021, 02:44 PM
My first NDSU basketball game this weekend. Had alot of fun with my two boys (4 and 2). But what I saw was shocking....

our basketball fans SuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. holy Sh*t, what a disappointment. It sounds like its a football game where we are always on offense. Absolutely no cheering whatsoever unless we score. No yelling on defense, no chanting. Atmosphere is dead as a doornail unless we're scoring at the moment.
First NDSU basketball game I've been to and wow our fans were horrific. Ive seen gyms with only 300 fans that were VASTLY more raucous and LOUD than the 2800 people who were there.
No home of the "BISON!", no cheering on defense, no chanting, no crowd engagement, student section was standing room only but were silent as a cemetery.

Seriously, If our basktball fans were HALF as engaged as our football fans, we would have a top 50 atmosphere in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL

I was EASILY the loudest fan on my half of the stadium, simply by whistling when we hit 3s and dunked and during opponent free throws. I should not be one of the 5-10 loudest people in the stadium when I'm holding a napping toddler in my arms. Dumfounding.

Seriously, what the hell do they need to do to get people engaged?? We're playing our biggest rival by a mile, 1st place in the conference on the line, CLOSE game, damn good teams, capacity crowd.... and crickets almost the entire game

MankatoBison
02-22-2021, 02:58 PM
My first NDSU basketball game this weekend. Had alot of fun with my two boys (4 and 2). But what I saw was shocking....

our basketball fans SuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. holy Sh*t, what a disappointment. It sounds like its a football game where we are always on offense. Absolutely no cheering whatsoever unless we score. No yelling on defense, no chanting. Atmosphere is dead as a doornail unless we're scoring at the moment.
First NDSU basketball game I've been to and wow our fans were horrific. Ive seen gyms with only 300 fans that were VASTLY more raucous and LOUD than the 2800 people who were there.
No home of the "BISON!", no cheering on defense, no chanting, no crowd engagement, student section was standing room only but were silent as a cemetery.

Seriously, If our basktball fans were HALF as engaged as our football fans, we would have a top 50 atmosphere in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL

I was EASILY the loudest fan on my half of the stadium, simply by whistling when we hit 3s and dunked and during opponent free throws. I should not be one of the 5-10 loudest people in the stadium when I'm holding a napping toddler in my arms. Dumfounding.

Seriously, what the hell do they need to do to get people engaged?? We're playing our biggest rival by a mile, 1st place in the conference on the line, CLOSE game, damn good teams, capacity crowd.... and crickets almost the entire game

Honestly I bet many people were pleased with the crowd, but just comparing the average NDSU football fan and the average NDSU basketball fan, was a disparity so large it had me at a loss for words. I was less than half as engaged as I am at a football game and was, without a doubt, the most raucous fan in my HALF of the stadium with the exception of the guys in the green tuxes .

I almost yelled "BISOOON" during the national anthem and made a fool of myself. Can anyone give me a good reason we DONT do that? I mean shouldnt we carry over almost all of the football traditions to Basketball? Yelling like hell on defense, home of the bison, holding up a 4 or 2 in the second half, chanting at least ONCE a game, on the court entertainment, thundar running around the court with a flag? Thunderstruck as an intro?!?!?!? Seriously who the F*ck is in charge of gameday experience at the basketball games??? The pep band plays less than half as much as the marching band, and there are over 2x as many timeouts?? I think they played 3 songs in the last 60 minutes of the game and that included half time. seriously, what. the F*ck. is. going. on.

im literally in culture shock right now.

El_Chapo
02-22-2021, 03:26 PM
I just pulled up a facebook memory of 7 years ago, the BSA had 6500 vs SDSU and Students stood the whole time in the BSA.

74-59 ass whooping with 3 Trayvon Wright breakaway dunks and Taylor Braun with 2 dunks and LA/Marshall dominating the pick n roll game.

Coaching/Admin changed since that year.

Professor Chaos
02-22-2021, 04:09 PM
Chapo is right that the atmosphere was better as the ol' Big Sweaty Ass as compared to now at the SHAC. I think the biggest difference is that the students forgot how to be involved in basketball games with those 2 years of off campus games while the BSA->SHAC renovation was happening. It probably doesn't help that they used to be right behind the team benches and now are stuck behind a basket.

I also don't think we need to bring the football traditions to basketball like playing Thunderstruck as an intro. Basketball needs it's own identity... they used to have Thunderstruck as their intro and it didn't really work.

But to Mankato's point I was at the men's game on Friday night and I was pretty surprised how little the crowd was engaged as the very end since it was a super tight game and those were the biggest possessions of the season at that point. That SDSU game in February 2020 that basically decided the top seed in the upcoming Summit League Tourney was much more raucous. I think the main thing is people are nervous to get loud and boisterous because of all the COVID restrictions. We're supposed to wear masks to reduce the proliferation of aerosol droplets and yelling doesn't help that.

heffray
02-22-2021, 04:13 PM
For sure it’s a COVID thing. I’m hoping it’s not permanent (same hope with the virus)...

Strommer10
02-22-2021, 04:31 PM
Chapo is right that the atmosphere was better as the ol' Big Sweaty Ass as compared to now at the SHAC. I think the biggest difference is that the students forgot how to be involved in basketball games with those 2 years of off campus games while the BSA->SHAC renovation was happening. It probably doesn't help that they used to be right behind the team benches and now are stuck behind a basket.

I also don't think we need to bring the football traditions to basketball like playing Thunderstruck as an intro. Basketball needs it's own identity... they used to have Thunderstruck as their intro and it didn't really work.

But to Mankato's point I was at the men's game on Friday night and I was pretty surprised how little the crowd was engaged as the very end since it was a super tight game and those were the biggest possessions of the season at that point. That SDSU game in February 2020 that basically decided the top seed in the upcoming Summit League Tourney was much more raucous. I think the main thing is people are nervous to get loud and boisterous because of all the COVID restrictions. We're supposed to wear masks to reduce the proliferation of aerosol droplets and yelling doesn't help that.

This is correct, the two year hiatus in Scheel's Arena killed the student section. There was no student section for those two year's and students forgot how to lead and participate in games. When the SHAC was completed, the upper classmen in the student section would have been freshman or high school seniors during the last year of the BSA. Those classes were never really a part of the old BSA crowd.

The student section's chants and making noise are what the rest of the crowd feeds off of. Silent student section equals silent crowd. It's been that way since we left the BSA.

The last part has a lot of truth to it. This weekend's basketball and football games were the first events I've attended in over a year. I personally was definitely cautious about getting loud the entire time. I'm sure a lot of the crowd had similar thoughts/concerns.

roadwarrior
02-22-2021, 05:39 PM
I think the students came out in bigger numbers this year over any year since the SHAC opened.

1998braves64
02-22-2021, 06:09 PM
Plus having coaches like Tim Miles and Saul Phillips who "actively" encouraged the crowds (which at that time was students right behind them) at times is helpful too. Richman doesn't have that fiery personality that can ignite a crowd. That statement is not meant to be a love him/hate him statement just stating my "opinion" vs the previous 2 coaches we had.

Professor Chaos
02-22-2021, 06:13 PM
I think the students came out in bigger numbers this year over any year since the SHAC opened.
Agreed. I wonder if having the womens/mens doubleheader helps out???

But even though they're showing up they're still not very engaged in the game compared to the BSA days. I guess getting them in the door is the first step though so that's a positive.

Random useless memory I have from the Woodside days.... they were playing Utah Valley St (who had a pretty decent team back in the mid-2000s) and they had a coach who had a real deep voice. Anytime he would yell something to his players on the court a bunch of the students behind their bench would start barking like a big dog (think "ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO!!!"). Those were good times! :) (and that's another advantage of having the student section right behind the player benches)

EC8CH
02-22-2021, 06:44 PM

Agreed. That's my perception too which is surprising. Just need to keep the momentum going in that direction.

El_Chapo
02-22-2021, 06:45 PM
Plus having coaches like Tim Miles and Saul Phillips who "actively" encouraged the crowds (which at that time was students right behind them) at times is helpful too. Richman doesn't have that fiery personality that can ignite a crowd. That statement is not meant to be a love him/hate him statement just stating my "opinion" vs the previous 2 coaches we had.

ding ding ding. Erv, Tim , Saul.

ByeSonBusiness
02-22-2021, 07:41 PM
Agreed. I wonder if having the womens/mens doubleheader helps out???

But even though they're showing up they're still not very engaged in the game compared to the BSA days. I guess getting them in the door is the first step though so that's a positive.

Random useless memory I have from the Woodside days.... they were playing Utah Valley St (who had a pretty decent team back in the mid-2000s) and they had a coach who had a real deep voice. Anytime he would yell something to his players on the court a bunch of the students behind their bench would start barking like a big dog (think "ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO!!!"). Those were good times! :) (and that's another advantage of having the student section right behind the player benches)

In our day the concept of a doubleheader would not have helped at all. But since the girls are pretty good now that may help.

DjKyRo used to be pretty good about getting some energy going in the student section in the BSA.

I recall having a lot of fun chirping at some guy from UMKC and Nate Wolters too. Would have liked to give the UND guys some hell too but they played the first couple games in the Fargodome.

HandoEX
02-22-2021, 07:54 PM
I remember some giving ol Ron Hunter hell and him threatening to kick their ass in the parking lot after the game. Ron woulda got his ass beat into a pulp, too.

El_Chapo
02-22-2021, 09:12 PM
RINGER... RINGER!!! LOL Ron Hunter and Slick Vic.

another time Unbison and I kept chirping some IUPUI guy and he asked us if we wanted to meet him outside and unbison said "what are we gonna do out there, play nintendo?"

HerdBot
02-22-2021, 11:07 PM
The few years in teh hockies arena lead to student disengage

DePereBisonFan
02-23-2021, 03:09 AM

Students are behind a basket?? No, no no...they need a sideline section for sure.

El_Chapo
02-23-2021, 01:55 PM
Students are behind a basket?? No, no no...they need a sideline section for sure.

Grand Canyon U gives them the whole entire side (as does Duke for that matter and Maryland I believe) and they all have crazy atmosphere.

BattleBorn
02-24-2021, 02:19 PM
My basketball knowledge is far behind pretty much every other sport. Heck I didn't even start watching basketball until fairly recently. Half the time I still can't tell what should be a foul, what should not, block, or charge. That said, I did get nice and spiffy in my bright yellow suit for a few road games (IPFW, Play-in Game, Duke).

HuskerBizon
02-24-2021, 08:37 PM
Grand Canyon U gives them the whole entire side (as does Duke for that matter and Maryland I believe) and they all have crazy atmosphere.

The student section should be behind the opposing team bench all the way up and let them bark at them non stop.

Herd
02-24-2021, 10:17 PM
The students, band and cheer team need to be together IMO. I have no issue with the students in the end bleacher section (designed for students by the way), they can make an impact from there especiailly when the opposing team is shooting on that end.

Everyone bitching about the atmosphere is par for the course. We have a 50% attendance limit with people wearing masks for goodness sakes. Our group of 3 couldn't find 3 open seats until we got to the top of sec 205 after walking around the entire arena. IMO we had a descent crowd compared to 99% of college BB teams. Did I mention that people were wearing masks!

Maximizing revenue in our arena is not accomplished by give the students the best seats in the house.

EC8CH
02-24-2021, 10:31 PM
The students, band and cheer team need to be together IMO. I have no issue with the students in the end bleacher section (designed for students by the way), they can make an impact from there especiailly when the opposing team is shooting on that end.

Everyone bitching about the atmosphere is par for the course. We have a 50% attendance limit with people wearing masks for goodness sakes. Our group of 3 couldn't find 3 open seats until we got to the top of sec 205 after walking around the entire arena. IMO we had a descent crowd compared to 99% of college BB teams. Did I mention that people were wearing masks!

Maximizing revenue in our arena is not accomplished by give the students the best seats in the house.

Agree. There are no structural issues with crowd engagement. It just needs to happen. Keeping the positive momentum of student attendance is a great first step. They just need to get rowdy now and the rest of the crowd will follow.

ByeSonBusiness
02-24-2021, 11:44 PM
Agree. They just need to get rowdy now and the rest of the crowd will follow.

Drop off a few handles of Ron Diaz down there and let nature run its course.

Bison03
02-25-2021, 01:16 AM
As mentioned, the two years off campus killed the student section the same way the Turf being closed for 2 years killed students flocking their like in the past. Student attendance and attendance in general with limited capacity has been pretty good actually. They need to have yell leaders like football, or some students to just step up and get the student section standing up, making noise, and rocking the whole game. You know why at football games people put their hands up and yell “ohhhh” during kickoffs, or why people hold up 4 fingers and yell “4th down” on 4th downs, and why people yell “first down....ahhhh move those chains” Its because the students did that first starting years ago. As the student section goes, the rest if the crowd goes.

Strommer10
02-25-2021, 04:38 AM
As mentioned, the two years off campus killed the student section the same way the Turf being closed for 2 years killed students flocking their like in the past. Student attendance and attendance in general with limited capacity has been pretty good actually. They need to have yell leaders like football, or some students to just step up and get the student section standing up, making noise, and rocking the whole game. You know why at football games people put their hands up and yell “ohhhh” during kickoffs, or why people hold up 4 fingers and yell “4th down” on 4th downs, and why people yell “first down....ahhhh move those chains” Its because the students did that first starting years ago. As the student section goes, the rest if the crowd goes.

Right on the money. Maybe the administration will do something to spark this back up next year. But I won't hold my breath. It would be awesome for the SHAC to resurrect the BSA environments of the Woodside or Braun/LA days.

unbison
02-25-2021, 07:21 PM
I have stumped for moving the band to behind the basket as they are the rowdiest and would be yelling and jumping when the other team is shooting freethrows

bisonfan08
02-25-2021, 07:33 PM
I have stumped for moving the band to behind the basket as they are the rowdiest and would be yelling and jumping when the other team is shooting freethrows

The band is usually plenty loud, the problem is thanks to COVID they had to get moved further up and more spread out. Typically the drummer is on the floor of the arena and the band in the first row and up from there. Cheerleaders also being stuck halfway up the bleachers versus on the floor doesn't help. I honestly think Grant Nelson and Boden Skunberg being ND kids is what's helped the student section fill back up, they seem to get louder cheers than the rest of the team so if that's what it took to bring them back so be it. Now just need to show them what a student section is supposed to look like.

Honestly, my idea, a student section hype video. After starting lineups, before the tip of, run a 30 second clip of the old days of standing the whole game and being loud, opposing coaches yelling back at the students, our former coaches hyping up the student section, even my crew with signs and dressed up at the summit league tournament and storming the court. Just a little reminder every game that they matter and they affect the game.

I can't remember which game it was but I remember a game in the ol BSA where like single page newspapers were handed out to the entire student section to hold up during opposing teams starting lineups....little things like that just boost engagement from the get go.

Mr Meaty
02-25-2021, 08:45 PM
The band is usually plenty loud, the problem is thanks to COVID they had to get moved further up and more spread out. Typically the drummer is on the floor of the arena and the band in the first row and up from there. Cheerleaders also being stuck halfway up the bleachers versus on the floor doesn't help. I honestly think Grant Nelson and Boden Skunberg being ND kids is what's helped the student section fill back up, they seem to get louder cheers than the rest of the team so if that's what it took to bring them back so be it. Now just need to show them what a student section is supposed to look like.

Honestly, my idea, a student section hype video. After starting lineups, before the tip of, run a 30 second clip of the old days of standing the whole game and being loud, opposing coaches yelling back at the students, our former coaches hyping up the student section, even my crew with signs and dressed up at the summit league tournament and storming the court. Just a little reminder every game that they matter and they affect the game.

I can't remember which game it was but I remember a game in the ol BSA where like single page newspapers were handed out to the entire student section to hold up during opposing teams starting lineups....little things like that just boost engagement from the get go.

There was usually a chant that was said at that time too "Who's he, he XXcks" or "Hey, he owes me money".

bisonfan08
02-26-2021, 08:27 PM
[/B]

There was usually a chant that was said at that time too "Who's he, he XXcks" or "Hey, he owes me money".

I also remember a fairly loud "Kansas Rejects" chant during the Kansas State starting lineups

land grant bison
02-27-2021, 02:08 AM
My memory of the chant was “Jayhawk rejects”.

I also remember gene taylor running across the court after the game yelling “STOP RIGHT NOW” towards the students who were throwing garbage on the court...in protest to the KSU players who were taunting the crowd in celebration of the blown missed foul on woodside at the end. It was an amazing game even though we lost!

NDSUstudent
02-27-2021, 02:34 AM
I think I literally got to the BSA for the K-State game before the players, the few people in front of me were running to sit at halfcourt leaving me with row one behind the K-State bench and of course Huggy Bear. It was an experience to say the least.

DePereBisonFan
02-27-2021, 07:49 PM
My memory of the chant was “Jayhawk rejects”.

I also remember gene taylor running across the court after the game yelling “STOP RIGHT NOW” towards the students who were throwing garbage on the court...in protest to the KSU players who were taunting the crowd in celebration of the blown missed foul on woodside at the end. It was an amazing game even though we lost!

That game changed my perspective about basketball. My previous experience had been a Minnesota NBA game and I thought I never wanted to go to a basketball game again. I decided to attend the KSU-NDSU game and it blew my mind. Imagine if we had that atmosphere all the time. It would be a rockin place.

El_Chapo
07-06-2021, 02:21 AM
Let's get this atmosphere back.

https://youtu.be/NRosgdFGy6w

NDSU SDSU

Trayvonn Wright dunk & Alley Oop to Eric Carlson at the halftime buzzer. wasn't even 1 of NDSU'S best teams, but the BSA rockin gave them 10 points

ByeSonBusiness
07-06-2021, 02:25 AM
Let's get this atmosphere back.

https://youtu.be/NRosgdFGy6w

NDSU SDSU

Trayvonn Wright dunk & Alley Oop to Eric Carlson at the halftime buzzer. wasn't even 1 of NDSU'S best teams, but the BSA rockin gave them 10 points

2010-11 NDSU was so average but fun.