PDA

View Full Version : YSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Kevin
02-21-2021, 10:28 PM
1) Defense looks solid. One bad drive but their TE's seemed to be pretty big targets.
2) Special shoutout to Firstname Lastname, Valley DPOY frontrunner IMO.
3) Jury still out on Zeb. 50% completion rate and the ball was never where it should have been on the key downs. I posted on the GDT that Lance's absence was apparent on those stalled-out drives. In a lot of those situations Lance would have just put the team on his back and made something happen. It's going to be a rough adjustment without that. And that's no knock on Zeb (or anyone else in the QB room). It's just impossible to replace that wildcard. If we're going to repeat Zeb has to be DRASTICALLY better than he was today.
4) I love the pitch between the tackles. Let's our backs use their speed advantage to make one fast read and a cut.
5) I'm sick, absolutely fucking sick, for Seth Wilson. Bussey/Kobe are going to form a sort of Lightning & Lightning combo that is exciting. Who is going to be the bruising back? Does Hunter (arguably the most athletic big guy on the team) get some snaps at tailback? Wish Saybein was still here.
6) Thet jet sweep is going to be done to death this year. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad.
7) KVLY is trash. Timmerman is stupid.
8) I'm glad football is back but the whole spring season and half empty dome is so 2020. Just weird.

Kevin
02-21-2021, 10:30 PM
9) I loved watching #1 on YSU. He was animated and cocky despite the ass kicking his team was taking the whole time. Fake it until you make it, young man.

HerdistheWord
02-21-2021, 10:31 PM
Zeb has a powerful arm, but the passing game was clunky today (missed throws, receivers tripping, etc.). I think we had one third down conversion through the air today. We gotta work that out in case our run game gets shutdown.

Bisonwinagn
02-21-2021, 10:31 PM
Went about as expected for game 1. KYLE was great and huge improvement, but KVLY production still sucks. Get rid of the sideline reporter and actually tell us who is on the field for the Bison would be helpful.

jcdcubs
02-21-2021, 10:32 PM
Wish Adam Cofield was still here.

Kevin
02-21-2021, 10:34 PM
Wish Adam Cofield was still here.

I forgot all about Cofield. He'd have helped a lot. There's a huge hole there that someone has to fill.

MNLonghorn10
02-21-2021, 10:34 PM
Definitely some rust. Can’t really take away a lot from a team that hasn’t played in a year+ with a decent size of new starters

23Bison
02-21-2021, 10:35 PM
D was solid. O needs to improve. I’ll give Zeb a pass for this game but this game only. Was hoping for quite a bit more out of him. KVLY needs to go away. It’s a win and I’ll give it an overall 7 out of 10.

JMB
02-21-2021, 10:37 PM
Zeb has a powerful arm, but the passing game was clunky today (missed throws, receivers tripping, etc.). I think we had one third down conversion through the air today. We gotta work that out in case our run game gets shutdown.

I don't know if I agree about his arm. I thought the deep balls kinda "fluttered" on him. He does seem pretty good throwing on the rollout.

In any case this is game one. Kids are just cutting their teeth, it will be interesting to see next week.

reformedUNDfan
02-21-2021, 10:37 PM
I saw quite a few drops today

gabisonfan
02-21-2021, 10:43 PM
Game seemed like an alternate reality. Energy level seemed like it was a rerun of a MAC game playing to not finish last in the conference. I expect hype for Zeb and lack of football created expectations not in line with the actual reality. Lots of talent, just need a reset next week.

DakotaOkie
02-21-2021, 10:53 PM
Someone must have texted Entz about the maternity shirt look. He changed to all green at halftime.
More serious note, the D looked decent but the entire O looked listless. There wasn't much excitement or apparent energy visible. Hopefully, the rust has mostly worked off this week and the excitement returns this coming week.

heffray
02-21-2021, 10:54 PM
1) Defense looks solid. One bad drive but their TE's seemed to be pretty big targets.
2) Special shoutout to Firstname Lastname, Valley DPOY frontrunner IMO.
3) Jury still out on Zeb. 50% completion rate and the ball was never where it should have been on the key downs. I posted on the GDT that Lance's absence was apparent on those stalled-out drives. In a lot of those situations Lance would have just put the team on his back and made something happen. It's going to be a rough adjustment without that. And that's no knock on Zeb (or anyone else in the QB room). It's just impossible to replace that wildcard. If we're going to repeat Zeb has to be DRASTICALLY better than he was today.
4) I love the pitch between the tackles. Let's our backs use their speed advantage to make one fast read and a cut.
5) I'm sick, absolutely fucking sick, for Seth Wilson. Bussey/Kobe are going to form a sort of Lightning & Lightning combo that is exciting. Who is going to be the bruising back? Does Hunter (arguably the most athletic big guy on the team) get some snaps at tailback? Wish Saybein was still here.
6) Thet jet sweep is going to be done to death this year. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad.
7) KVLY is trash. Timmerman is stupid.
8) I'm glad football is back but the whole spring season and half empty dome is so 2020. Just weird.

We’re really doin’ it, aren’t we though, buddy?!

Man... a postgame thread is good for my soul...

I feel like Zeb forced it a lot... not a ton of open receivers missed.

Goddamnit Seth. I hope you read things similar to this from your fans, but let me just say it. We are sick for you and we are pulling for you.

Holy Shit that D was fucking fantastic. I couldn’t have imagined a better game. Seriously so many underclassmen with standout plays. If we win a chipper this year, it’ll be on their backs.

Special teams was fantastic today. No liabilities at all. Love that.

Fix the O. Bring on numero 9.

tony
02-21-2021, 10:59 PM
I was amazed when Seth Wilson got up from the play. I was hopeful he was OK.

Man, I hope it's not bad because a) he's worked his ass off to get back on the field and b) he is one of the best backs I've seen at NDSU - he's the total package.

bisonaudit
02-21-2021, 11:14 PM
How much can you really learn about your defense when the other team volunteers to play one dimensional offense?

Bison56
02-21-2021, 11:24 PM
Fire Timmerman

EC8CH
02-21-2021, 11:24 PM
Fire Timmerman

If only......

HerdistheWord
02-21-2021, 11:30 PM
I don't know if I agree about his arm. I thought the deep balls kinda "fluttered" on him. He does seem pretty good throwing on the rollout.

In any case this is game one. Kids are just cutting their teeth, it will be interesting to see next week.

Deep balls were off today, but he had good zip on sideline throws.

scbison91
02-21-2021, 11:39 PM
Deep balls were off today, but he had good zip on sideline throws.No ints ,we ran over 200 yards. Didn't expect big numbers with running game we had.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
02-21-2021, 11:58 PM
We’re really doin’ it, aren’t we though, buddy?!

Man... a postgame thread is good for my soul...

I feel like Zeb forced it a lot... not a ton of open receivers missed.

Goddamnit Seth. I hope you read things similar to this from your fans, but let me just say it. We are sick for you and we are pulling for you.

Holy Shit that D was fucking fantastic. I couldn’t have imagined a better game. Seriously so many underclassmen with standout plays. If we win a chipper this year, it’ll be on their backs.

Special teams was fantastic today. No liabilities at all. Love that.

Fix the O. Bring on numero 9.
I'd disagree with the bolded. Might've just been from my vantage point at the dome halfway up section 9 it's easy to see the entire field compared to down on the field but I didn't think he was seeing the field and was missing open guys in favor of throwing into tight(er) coverage.

It'll be a good learning experience for him... the film and the experience should help him get better.

Twincitybizon
02-22-2021, 12:13 AM
I saw quite a few drops today

I'd disagree with the bolded. Might've just been from my vantage point at the dome halfway up section 9 it's easy to see the entire field compared to down on the field but I didn't think he was seeing the field and was missing open guys in favor of throwing into tight(er) coverage.

It'll be a good learning experience for him... the film and the experience should help him get better.

Being at the game I agree. Several plays had his running open that were missed for throw aways/tight coverage

56BISON73
02-22-2021, 12:21 AM
Reminded me of a typical spring football game. New QB and other new players. Trying to find what works under game conditions against a team other than yourself.

HerdBot
02-22-2021, 12:22 AM
Game 1 is usually vs a pud team. We got a good Youngstown. Team was a little rusty and losing Seth seems to have messed with out game plan. Kobe isn't built to get that many carries but he did a good job. Seems like there were some miscommunication in the passing game. Wish we would have done a bit more playaction today. That was Zebs first start since 2018 and he was good enough to win. Will get better.

The defense was great besides 1 drive

NodakGreg
02-22-2021, 12:29 AM
Went about as expected for game 1. KYLE was great and huge improvement, but KVLY production still sucks. Get rid of the sideline reporter and actually tell us who is on the field for the Bison would be helpful.

Your Right, Kyle seems much more relaxed, he did a nice job better then 2 years ago. KVLY NBC SUCKS and I am a 55 yr.old father. Sorry for the language. I'm not the smartest guy but, " do you think the camera person can PAN BACK on a play and quit guessing who has the ball and let us the TV Fans watch the PLay play out???!!

td577
02-22-2021, 12:40 AM
This looked like a first game of the season. Very vanilla with very little extra anything added. Base packages on both sides of the ball. The Bison was very determined not to show anything other than simple plays on offense and a couple twists on defense. Still should have been better execution. A win is a win and YSU never looked like they were in the game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

runtheoption
02-22-2021, 12:42 AM
I've never been that bored at a Bison game as I was today. Guess it really isn't that surprising, as I had very low expectations coming in. Lackluster offense, no band, no cheerleaders on the field, maybe 400-500 students, 6500 total fans, people not really trying to make noise with the masks muffling what little cheering was taking place, way too much shitty electronica/techno music, no tailgating so a lot of sober people in the stands.

Oh well. I'll probably go to the next home game, whenever that is.

Alsen
02-22-2021, 12:46 AM
Hoping Seth's knee was just hyper-extended. He could be back in three weeks. If it's another tear, he might qualify for another redshirt. He might have a couple Master's degrees by the time he leaves NDSU.

I thought the timing of everything on offense was just a little off.

Everyone knows that they have NOT been practicing like they would in a normal season. Entz has mentioned this on a number of occasions. The reps haven't been there, and...they are using a whole lot of skill position players on offense.

We are very fortunate our toughest games come at the end of this bizarre season. I have full confidence that when this offense running on all cylinders finely tuned and timed, it will be unstoppable and Zeb will look like a different player.

marenlee
02-22-2021, 12:50 AM
Bullshit the game was on a Monday morning for me. Was watching it as I was getting my 2nd Covid vaccine dose so it was a lot of interrupted viewing.

All kidding aside, glad that was the only Sunday game. I think.

Professor Chaos
02-22-2021, 12:51 AM
Bullshit the game was on a Monday morning for me. Was watching it as I was getting my 2nd Covid vaccine dose so it was a lot of interrupted viewing.

All kidding aside, glad that was the only Sunday game. I think.
Only Sunday game until Frisco (hopefully). :biggrin:

AKBison
02-22-2021, 01:29 AM
To all the folks on here ripping Zeb it's been several years since he last took a meaningful snap. Plus, QB's need reps, lots of them. Trey looked pretty mediocre against UCA after sitting on a shelf for 9 months as well. He's going to need 3-4 games to get back in sync.

heffray
02-22-2021, 01:38 AM

Thanks for adding that perspective. Could not see that from my couch...

Gully
02-22-2021, 01:40 AM
Some great points made here.

PL is right, it did feel like a normal spring game.

The defense did look great except for the one long YSU drive where I think they converted twice on 4th down.

RTO is correct about the boring game. It was pretty good until the aforementioned YSU drive. I actually almost fell asleep watching it. Eight minute drives are not nearly as fun when they're happening to your team for a change.

As people have said, I'm just sick for Seth Wilson. It's hard to tell on those, I suppose there is a chance he didn't sustain major ligament damage, sometimes that's the case and then other times they walk off and you think they're ok and then it ends up being terrible. Just bad luck for that young man.

The more I read and think about the game, the better I feel. Or maybe it's the booze hitting finally.

heffray
02-22-2021, 01:42 AM
To all the folks on here ripping Zeb it's been several years since he last took a meaningful snap. Plus, QB's need reps, lots of them. Trey looked pretty mediocre against UCA after sitting on a shelf for 9 months as well. He's going to need 3-4 games to get back in sync.

Agree with this... although I didn’t see any plays that looked like he had good comfort with what was happening, or good “pocket presence” or whatever the fuck it is... it didn’t look great. Pulling for him to improve and blow the doors off the place but it was not great on paper or on the smell test.

steelbison
02-22-2021, 01:56 AM
QB totally locked onto one received. Didn’t see the field at all.

How many QB role outs to the right did we call?

24 and 21 won’t last if we plan on banging them up the middle all season. Why not use 44 as Hb on short yardage plays?

Defense was great against the run. Will be interesting how we are in pass coverage

Very impressed with 10. Stuck out as a freshman. 26 is a stud. Like the way he plays.

If we don’t improve the passing game no way we win a championship throwing for 60-80 yards a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bison22
02-22-2021, 01:57 AM
*If* Seth is out. Do we move Luepke to RB? Or do we just roll with Johnson, Gonella and Bussey? Or do we give Marshall and Stewart reps?

TAILG8R
02-22-2021, 01:58 AM
There were a couple rollouts where Zeb could have hit a wide open TE or FB? For 4-5 yds plus yac but forced it a bit further down field and didn't connect. They'll watch the film and teach him how to take what's there and that his FBs and TEs will make sure their catches turn into solid gains.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

heffray
02-22-2021, 01:59 AM
*If* Seth is out. Do we move Luepke to RB? Or do we just roll with Johnson, Gonella and Bussey? Or do we give Marshall and Stewart reps?

This is the correct question.

23Bison
02-22-2021, 02:02 AM
I’d like to see Gonella and Marshall get some reps especially up the gut for the most part.

bison_by_blood
02-22-2021, 02:17 AM
O line looked good. Receivers didn’t have much to work with. RBs, Kobe is a stud but we need some depth. Zeb...well he does have a cannon. Bigger than Trey from what I’ve heard. But he didn’t look off a single read the whole game. If he can’t see the field better, and he can’t run great..we just need better QB play.

Defense looked good enough to win games, just need some more experience. Doesn’t feel like we will go undefeated but still talented enough to be the favorites for it all

yellowstreak
02-22-2021, 02:20 AM
do you think the camera person can PAN BACK on a play and quit guessing who has the ball and let us the TV Fans watch the PLay play out???!!

this!!!

we all have much larger televisions than we did in the 1980s. yet Football is still zoomed in on the QB and we can't see the receivers. Please Pan Out!!!

TAILG8R
02-22-2021, 02:23 AM
O line looked good. Receivers didn’t have much to work with. RBs, Kobe is a stud but we need some depth. Zeb...well he does have a cannon. Bigger than Trey from what I’ve heard. But he didn’t look off a single read the whole game. If he can’t see the field better, and he can’t run great..we just need better QB play.

Defense looked good enough to win games, just need some more experience. Doesn’t feel like we will go undefeated but still talented enough to be the favorites for it allI wonder if this is why the Youngstown d-backs seemed so fast. If Zeb was telegraphing his throws they were getting a jump. I was just thinking they had good bursts of speed and could close fast.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bisoneer
02-22-2021, 02:25 AM
Did they play the National Anthem today before the game?

El_Chapo
02-22-2021, 02:26 AM
I've never been that bored at a Bison game as I was today. Guess it really isn't that surprising, as I had very low expectations coming in. Lackluster offense, no band, no cheerleaders on the field, maybe 400-500 students, 6500 total fans, people not really trying to make noise with the masks muffling what little cheering was taking place, way too much shitty electronica/techno music, no tailgating so a lot of sober people in the stands.

Oh well. I'll probably go to the next home game, whenever that is.

this ^^^^ .

southcliffbison
02-22-2021, 02:27 AM
yes, why wouldn't they? Mark Cuban doesn't own this team.

Bisonator98
02-22-2021, 02:32 AM
I don't think Tyler called a great game for Zeb either. Seemed like he put him in too many obvious passing situations instead of calling a few more pass plays on first down. Maybe they didn't want to show much but let's face it teams know what we do by now anyway. The defense played well but wasn't much of a test IMO. Ysu has to be one of the worst offenses they'll face.

ByeSonBusiness
02-22-2021, 03:09 AM
Definitely some rust. Can’t really take away a lot from a team that hasn’t played in a year+ with a decent size of new starters

Yeah between NDSU breaking in a bunch of new guys in a first game in ages and YSU breaking in a bunch of guys as well....this was not gonna tell anyone much

bisonaudit
02-22-2021, 03:15 AM

Did they read the land acknowledgement?

bisoneer
02-22-2021, 03:16 AM
yes, why wouldn't they? Mark Cuban doesn't own this team.

Not playing it at home basketball games in the shac!

23Bison
02-22-2021, 03:23 AM

Was told they do it before the woman start.

El_Chapo
02-22-2021, 03:37 AM
i still want a legit explanation of why sproles, mathis, dawson didnt play today. they were hurt.

NDSU92
02-22-2021, 03:39 AM
i still want a legit explanation of why sproles, mathis, dawson didnt play today. they were hurt.

I assume there’s no clause in the MVFC similar to pro sports where teams are required to officially announce injuries?

bison22
02-22-2021, 03:40 AM

As well as Luepke

Hammerhead
02-22-2021, 03:59 AM
Should we be worried about the shotgun snaps? Many of them looked a little off.

bisonforever
02-22-2021, 04:37 AM
i still want a legit explanation of why sproles, mathis, dawson didnt play today. they were hurt. why do you feel like you are entitled to an explanation?! Anyway, here it is- all of those guys had surgery after the Central Arkansas game. Several others had injuries during camp leading up to YSU! Carry on

bison_by_blood
02-22-2021, 07:43 AM

Lol, you tell us from your many sources.

bison_by_blood
02-22-2021, 07:49 AM
Should we be worried about the shotgun snaps? Many of them looked a little off.

Didn’t see that personally. Sundell is fairly new to center though. I’m confident it’s not an issue.

Snowgoose
02-22-2021, 09:40 AM

They played it Saturday before the women’s game. They don’t need to do it twice in my opinion with the double header.

scottietohottie
02-22-2021, 10:05 AM
They played it Saturday before the women’s game. They don’t need to do it twice in my opinion with the double header.

And kvly plays it every morning between ag show and 5 am news. I actually just put my hand down off my chest.

wagsabison
02-22-2021, 10:20 AM

Giving him the chance to review reads he did or didn’t make vs an actual opponent should benefit him for future games.

runtheoption
02-22-2021, 10:45 AM

Yes. And a moment of silence for everyone affected by COVID, social issues, extreme cold, and violence.

MNLonghorn10
02-22-2021, 10:45 AM

They did. And then they read the Declaration of Independence..... without masks

EC8CH
02-22-2021, 12:21 PM
Didn’t see that personally. Sundell is fairly new to center though. I’m confident it’s not an issue.

Lots of high snaps. Fumble on jet sweep was due to a high snap.

Bison Dan
02-22-2021, 12:24 PM
I don't think Tyler called a great game for Zeb either. Seemed like he put him in too many obvious passing situations instead of calling a few more pass plays on first down. Maybe they didn't want to show much but let's face it teams know what we do by now anyway. The defense played well but wasn't much of a test IMO. Ysu has to be one of the worst offenses they'll face.

That's what I thought too. Tyler needs to up his game on play calling. Zeb needs to get the ball out quicker to the receivers, they were open on their break. Safeties need to play tighter.

Bison Dan
02-22-2021, 12:25 PM
Lots of high snaps. Fumble on jet sweep was due to a high snap.

Yes the snap was high, but even a good snap there would have been problems. The snap was either late or WR was early.

Professor Chaos
02-22-2021, 12:31 PM
Before Zeb gets written off too much remember that in the only game last fall Trey didn't exactly light the pass game up either. He went 15-30 for 149 with 2 TDs and an INT. Pretty comparable to Zebs 9-18 for 74 when you factor in the number of pass attempts (and Trey picked it up in those last 10 pass attempts to get those numbers respectable). And they had Sproles and Luepke in that game last fall also.

The moral is let's not be too judgemental off the first game but let's expect some significant improvement as the spring goes on.

Professor Chaos
02-22-2021, 12:37 PM
That's what I thought too. Tyler needs to up his game on play calling. Zeb needs to get the ball out quicker to the receivers, they were open on their break. Safeties need to play tighter.
Yeah, more short passing routes to give him some high percentage throws would help get him in a rhythm i think. I had the same thoughts last year at times with Trey like in the SDSU and JMU games when they couldn't get anything going through the air. Seems like with the exception of screen passes almost all the passing routes being run are intermediate or deep routes. Get some quick slants, shallow crosses, etc.

tony
02-22-2021, 12:46 PM
I really wish that Kobe hadn't tripped on that third down screen pass... that was a TD.

THEsocalledfan
02-22-2021, 12:55 PM
Clock is already clicking on Zeb. That is not good enough to beat a solid Valley school. I really think we see one of the young guys in 2-3 games.

Who is the next best option?

Professor Chaos
02-22-2021, 01:22 PM
The moral is let's not be too judgemental off the first game but let's expect some significant improvement as the spring goes on.

Clock is already clicking on Zeb. That is not good enough to beat a solid Valley school. I really think we see one of the young guys in 2-3 games.

Lol, or you can take that approach.

I wouldn't be too anxious to get to Zeb's backup considering the only other eligible QBs on the roster are redshirt freshman Logan Graetz and true freshman Cam Miller. Zeb was voted a team captain so he has the support of his teammates. I'd be pretty confident saying that the team will sink or swim this spring with him at the helm.

HerdBot
02-22-2021, 01:24 PM

This was base vanilla offense

heffray
02-22-2021, 01:34 PM
Yes the snap was high, but even a good snap there would have been problems. The snap was either late or WR was early.

I thought this as well, snap was late.

NDSU1980
02-22-2021, 01:42 PM
Before Zeb gets written off too much remember that in the only game last fall Trey didn't exactly light the pass game up either. He went 15-30 for 149 with 2 TDs and an INT. Pretty comparable to Zebs 9-18 for 74 when you factor in the number of pass attempts (and Trey picked it up in those last 10 pass attempts to get those numbers respectable). And they had Sproles and Luepke in that game last fall also.

^^^This. And remember how Stick was very limited in his first few games when to took over after Carson's injury. I'm not worried at this point.

EC8CH
02-22-2021, 01:50 PM
Zeb ran the offense that was called which was mind numbingly vanilla on purpose. NDSU beat YSU handily with this strategy.

bisonfanette
02-22-2021, 01:55 PM
Yes. And a moment of silence for everyone affected by COVID, social issues, extreme cold, and violence.
Extreme cold - I missed that one!!! I heard covid, healthcare workers, social justice & mental health tho.
Anyway, it was respectfully done.

Bisonator98
02-22-2021, 02:16 PM

Lol time for BV mass overreaction time.

bisoneer
02-22-2021, 03:45 PM
Any word on Seth W?

Bison 4 Life
02-22-2021, 05:01 PM

Yeah. If we had Carson Wentz and Trey Lance from 2010-2018 we would have been a little tepid on Brock Jensen or Easton Stick.

You need the QB to run the offense. He ran the offense.

23Bison
02-22-2021, 05:15 PM
Any word on Seth W?

It was a bad play but to me didn’t look catastrophic. I’m in hope it’s not too serious. Is it the same leg as the ACL? That would change my opinion.

Kevin
02-22-2021, 05:17 PM
It was a bad play but to me didn’t look catastrophic. I’m in hope it’s not too serious. Is it the same leg as the ACL? That would change my opinion.

I dunno man. I winced pretty hard when it happened live. The replay made it look even worse.

HandoEX
02-22-2021, 05:53 PM
Anyone know which true freshmen played yesterday?

bruinbison
02-22-2021, 05:57 PM

It will be a very good spring season for that!
There are a noticeable number of BisonVillers
who think that NDSU is going to win every game by 28
points or more, preferably 50. They don’t seem to remember the sizeable
losses from just last September’s team, let alone adding in the loss of Jabril Cox from last year.

Trey Lance
Dillon Radunz
Karson Schoening
Matt Biegler
Adam Cofield
Aaron Mercadel

plus other depth players who would have been available last fall
Saybein Clark, Justice Kelly, Quinn Alo and others I’m forgetting

bruinbison
02-22-2021, 06:00 PM
Checked for true freshman on the participation report

- RB Dominic Gonnella
- WR/KR RaJa Nelson
- LB Cole Wisniewski
- DB Sam Jung

TAILG8R
02-22-2021, 06:04 PM
It will be a very good spring season for that!
There are a noticeable number of BisonVillers
who think that NDSU is going to win every game by 28
points or more, preferably 50. They don’t seem to remember the sizeable
losses from just last September’s team, let alone adding in the loss of Jabril Cox from last year.

Trey Lance
Dillon Radunz
Karson Schoening
Matt Biegler
Adam Cofield
Aaron Mercadel

plus other depth players who would have been available last fall
Saybein Clark, Justice Kelly, Quinn Alo and others I’m forgetting

Taking out the standard cupcake team to start the year(Butler) the average margin of victory last year was 22.8 points. Yesterday's was 18. When you win a fair number of your games by 30+ points fans seem to expect that every time. When in reality there are always 3-4 games a year that are within 10 points.

Hammerhead
02-22-2021, 06:07 PM

Fire Roehl, Save Season! :biggrin:

THEsocalledfan
02-22-2021, 06:16 PM
Zeb ran the offense that was called which was mind numbingly vanilla on purpose. NDSU beat YSU handily with this strategy.

True, but as Emmanuel pointed out, a good QB comes off his primary read more often.......

ByeSonBusiness
02-22-2021, 06:20 PM

Most folks have two ACL's....

I thought it looked bad and it looked like they suspected the same on the sideline but who knows.

bruinbison
02-22-2021, 06:20 PM
True, but as Emmanuel pointed out, a good QB comes off his primary read more often.......

That is worrisome......it’s not like he is a RFr or true FR, like the backups are

scottietohottie
02-22-2021, 06:23 PM
Most folks have two ACL's....

I thought it looked bad and it looked like they suspected the same on the sideline but who knows.

It was supposedly the same knee that he had surgery on last year.

BFKasper14
02-22-2021, 06:27 PM

I was right by the trainers table. Seth looked so defeated. The trainer didn’t look too enthusiastic about it, either...I think this is one of those expect the worst, pray for the best situations.

bstark28
02-22-2021, 06:30 PM
Checked for true freshman on the participation report

- RB Dominic Gonnella
- WR/KR RaJa Nelson
- LB Cole Wisniewski
- DB Sam Jung

Joe Stoffel (TE) also got some time.....weird seeing #82 out there and it not being Ellefson.

23Bison
02-22-2021, 06:50 PM

Well that changes my opinion a bit. Thank god people have 2 ACL’s!:rofl:

ByeSonBusiness
02-22-2021, 07:31 PM
That is worrisome......it’s not like he is a RFr or true FR, like the backups are

His first start in a couple years. I'll cut him some slack there. Hopefully he improves.

tolnabison
02-22-2021, 08:08 PM
A few things that jumped out to me:
1. People can say that we used a "vanilla offense" and still won handily. That is fine. But I am concerned about our passing game. We either play action or rolled out for about 85% of our passing plays. I am fine with play action with how heavy run we are, but the roll out game frustrates me. Your basically only using one half of the field, and if it isn't open then you throw it out of bounds. Honestly if we are going to be vanilla all spring, then play Cam Miller. A lot of experts compare him to Easton Stick. He is athletic and will at least give us a true threat in the running game. If all he has to do is roll out and throw it to the sideline.

2. Speaking of passing game. I would love to see us use the TE's in the middle of the field like Youngstown did to us. We have the best TE room in the FCS. Use them!

3. Why is the only route tree that Watson runs is a come back or a go pattern? He is the most dynamic play maker we have on offense and the only way we can get the ball in his hands are jet sweeps and reverse plays? He needs to be a true factor in the passing game. 6'4" with speed to burn, the size to throw it up, catch the ball across the middle. I feel like we limit him, which limits us.

4. Gonnella is going to be special. He has the size and the burst. Can't wait to watch him develop over the next few games. I think he is a true 3-down back that will compliment what Johnson and Bussey have to offer. Johnson might wear down if he is asked to carry it 15-20 games this spring and then again in 3 months. Wouldn't be surprised if TK Marshall gets into the rotation also.

5. Offensive lined look very solid, athletic and physical.

6. Defense has speed to burn. Our linebackers fly to the football. Defensive line was impressive and deep. Will be excited to see them play against a team that has more of a passing attack.

7. Dom Jones really looks the part as an athlete. He will be an exciting safety over the spring. He will really be able to grow as a player knowing he is playing next to Tutsie.

8. Worry about cornerback depth, but was also happy the way both Price and Talbert played opposite Hayes. They both tackled very well in the run game.

I know its only been one game. We are spoiled from prior years! Go Bison!

heffray
02-22-2021, 08:22 PM
A few things that jumped out to me:
1. People can say that we used a "vanilla offense" and still won handily. That is fine. But I am concerned about our passing game. We either play action or rolled out for about 85% of our passing plays. I am fine with play action with how heavy run we are, but the roll out game frustrates me. Your basically only using one half of the field, and if it isn't open then you throw it out of bounds. Honestly if we are going to be vanilla all spring, then play Cam Miller. A lot of experts compare him to Easton Stick. He is athletic and will at least give us a true threat in the running game. If all he has to do is roll out and throw it to the sideline.

2. Speaking of passing game. I would love to see us use the TE's in the middle of the field like Youngstown did to us. We have the best TE room in the FCS. Use them!

3. Why is the only route tree that Watson runs is a come back or a go pattern? He is the most dynamic play maker we have on offense and the only way we can get the ball in his hands are jet sweeps and reverse plays? He needs to be a true factor in the passing game. 6'4" with speed to burn, the size to throw it up, catch the ball across the middle. I feel like we limit him, which limits us.

4. Gonnella is going to be special. He has the size and the burst. Can't wait to watch him develop over the next few games. I think he is a true 3-down back that will compliment what Johnson and Bussey have to offer. Johnson might wear down if he is asked to carry it 15-20 games this spring and then again in 3 months. Wouldn't be surprised if TK Marshall gets into the rotation also.

5. Offensive lined look very solid, athletic and physical.

6. Defense has speed to burn. Our linebackers fly to the football. Defensive line was impressive and deep. Will be excited to see them play against a team that has more of a passing attack.

7. Dom Jones really looks the part as an athlete. He will be an exciting safety over the spring. He will really be able to grow as a player knowing he is playing next to Tutsie.

8. Worry about cornerback depth, but was also happy the way both Price and Talbert played opposite Hayes. They both tackled very well in the run game.

I know its only been one game. We are spoiled from prior years! Go Bison!

Agree with everything except point 1... I think we need to give Zeb most of the spring before we know much...

NDSUSR
02-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Zeb Noland didnt look any worse than Trey Lance did against UCA.

Professor Chaos
02-22-2021, 08:47 PM
Zeb Noland didnt look any worse than Trey Lance did against UCA.
Throwing the ball yes. Trey won that game with his legs though.

NDSUSR
02-22-2021, 09:00 PM
Throwing the ball yes. Trey won that game with his legs though.

Sagarin has UCA and YSU at 144 and 143.
UCA MOV = 11
YSU MOV = 18.

Where are the Lance haters?

runtheoption
02-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Extreme cold - I missed that one!!! I heard covid, healthcare workers, social justice & mental health tho.
Anyway, it was respectfully done.

You are probably right about the extreme cold.

DCinOK
02-22-2021, 10:19 PM
4. Gonnella is going to be special.

!

Completely agree. He was the Newcomer who really stood out for me.

Snowgoose
02-22-2021, 11:27 PM
Sagarin has UCA and YSU at 144 and 143.
UCA MOV = 11
YSU MOV = 18.

Where are the Lance haters?

If I remember correctly Lance threw some nice passes early in that game that were flat out dropped like the bomb to Watson that would have been a TD. I didn't think Zeb looked good at all. If he was a first year starter as a Freshman or Sophomore I would not be critical, but we are talking about a 5th year senior so you expect them to be way more polished. Hopefully he improves quickly.

SDbison
02-23-2021, 12:07 AM
Exactly! This has been going on for many years. Lately we only seem to pass to tight ends when we are in the red zone. Roehl seriously needs to rethink how he uses TEs.

SamsRams
02-23-2021, 01:00 AM
His first start in a couple years. I'll cut him some slack there. Hopefully he improves.

He is what I expected, team leader but not a great fit for the offense. Another game like that and Cam Miller will be taking some first team reps in practice

El_Chapo
02-23-2021, 02:08 AM
Dont worry. Sproles Weber and Mathis will be playing next week.. hilarious that no one wants to discuss those 3 not playing week 1 but freely jumping around on sidelines and tik tok videos.. haha

Twincitybizon
02-23-2021, 02:19 AM

Dont worry. Sproles Weber and Mathis will be playing next week.. hilarious that no one wants to discuss those 3 not playing week 1 but freely jumping around on sidelines and tik tok videos.. haha

I'll discuss it. Got any information we don't have?? Did they have surgeries like some claimed post uca? Minor tweaks and rested for the long run? Really only seemed to miss sproles. Couple we drops that hurt us. Has coach talked about their health or timeline for their return?

steelbison
02-23-2021, 04:04 AM
He is what I expected, team leader but not a great fit for the offense. Another game like that and Cam Miller will be taking some first team reps in practice

Good coaches change their playcalling to match personal. Not the other way around. It showed me TR is a very limited offensive mind.

Two things that really puzzle me. Why we don’t use the TE more and why Watson isnt a bigger part of the passing game.

Also why do. 24 a d 21 up the middle. Only thing that will do is get the
Hurt. Multiple times on third and short we ran 24. We do t have a bigger back on the roster? We did this with Brooks also and did t understand it then.

IMO our last offensive coordinators as the best we have ever had. Loved the way he called a game

Tyler not so much.

WeAreThePride
02-23-2021, 04:14 AM
Good coaches change their playcalling to match personal. Not the other way around. It showed me TR is a very limited offensive mind.

Two things that really puzzle me. Why we don’t use the TE more and why Watson isnt a bigger part of the passing game.

Hurt. Multiple times on third and short we ran 24. We do t have a bigger back on the roster? We did this with Brooks also and did t understand it then.

IMO our last offensive coordinators as the best we have ever had. Loved the way he called a game

Tyler not so much.

You mean the OC who helped Lance break every freshman QB record?

EC8CH
02-23-2021, 05:13 AM

Tyler not so much.

If a RB can't run between the tackles on the regular, he probably shouldn't play for the Bison. Been impressed with both of their drive up the middle actually. I'm more concerned about pass pro than anything with all the young smaller rbs.

Twincitybizon
02-23-2021, 12:00 PM
The pass pro issue was evident in a play or two with kobe. Too small to black lbs.

tolnabison
02-23-2021, 01:01 PM

Not sure how Weber is going to help out our passing game any? Defense looked good. I wouldn't be surprised if Dom Jones ends up passing Weber at safety. He just looks like an FBS athlete (figured you would like that one).

Glad there is a chance Sproles can get back. I don't know what role Mathis will carve out. I think Lippe has passed him on the depth chart.

OrygunBison
02-23-2021, 04:36 PM
Hurt.

Ball carriers don't get hurt as much going up the A gap. It is the off tackle and edge stuff - think more lateral movement, not squared up contact - that gets guys hurt. The issue IMO is that the little guys can't exert their will and punish defenders inside as much. But, if the holes are big enough for a littler back to get his hips involved, it can be trouble for the defense because the plays develop so much faster and can get by the second level before a safety can react.

When I see Bussey out there, I can't help but picture Rocky Balboa chasing the chicken during his training.

TAILG8R
02-23-2021, 07:13 PM
If only NDSU had the budget to hire all of us we'd never lose and win by more than 30 every game. Also have the perfect balance of run/pass, hit the sweet spot in all stats and build seating hung from the dome ceiling.

reformedUNDfan
02-23-2021, 07:48 PM
honestly NDSU lost 6 players to the NFL since the JMU game and still wrecked a top 40 FCS team in a sleepwalk while without it's #1 (mostly) and #2 receivers and losing RB #1 before I even turned on the TV