PDA

View Full Version : Furman

greenandgold01
04-18-2005, 04:44 PM
They haven't released their schedule yet. According to AFCA they were looking for a game on 9/24.

I wonder if we could shuffle our schedules a bit and schedule them for 9/3?

WYOBISONMAN
04-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Furman would be a GREAT game.....

somebison
04-18-2005, 05:25 PM
furman releases FB schedule (http://furmanpaladins.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020405aaf.html)

4-5-05

greenandgold01
04-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Well so much for that idea.

That release wasn't posted on their site, how did you find it?

I'm starting to get worried that we're not going to get a DIaa game for 9/3 or 9/15.

Gamehunter
04-18-2005, 07:00 PM
I kind of think a D1-AA is not happening at this point also. But a DII isn't going to kill us.

greenandgold01
04-18-2005, 07:26 PM
I kind of think a D1-AA is not happening at this point also. But a DII isn't going to kill us.

Definately not. Just a let down compared to the rest of the schedule.

tcbison
04-18-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm sure it will be a DII game. This year's schedule is a lot better than last year's and I am sure it will only get better as the years go by.

The question I have is will the game be on Saturday the 3rd(Labor Day weekend) or maybe a few days earlier to get a bigger crowd.

At the NDSU in the Twin Cities meeting Coach Bohl said the goal of the team is to finish the year rated in the top 10. With the current schedule that will be possible even if we schedule a DII team.

IowaBison
04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
I kind of like the idea of a Thursday game.

roadwarrior
04-18-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm starting to get worried that we're not going to get a DIaa game for 9/3 or 9/15.

We have Weber State playing in Fargo on 9/17.
So far 5 DI-AA home games and 5 DI-AA road games.

A game on thursday 9/1 is a high probability.

greenandgold01
04-18-2005, 09:18 PM
I meant 10/15.

I know that 10/15 is likely to remain open in the BYE week fashion.

JBB
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
For a long time some of have realized its going to be a DII. In fact, I think we will have DII teams on the schedule most every year. Probably not the cream of the crop either, unless they come from one of those conferences where most every week is a bye week and a loss to a DI-AA wont hurt their playoff chances. I dont mind it, a tough schedule like we have needs an opening game where we can play loose and get it working.

roadwarrior
04-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Dont be surprised if you see a D-II pop in that sept date from a place not too far from Fargo. (not north)

greenandgold01
04-18-2005, 11:02 PM
No....

please god...not Moorhead.

Bisonguy
04-18-2005, 11:07 PM
No....

please god...not Moorhead.

They do have a new coach........

greenandgold01
04-18-2005, 11:15 PM
If we play Moorhead the score will be 100-0.

I pray he's talking about Mary, USD, UMCrookston, Bemidji State, etc.

scottheck
04-19-2005, 12:35 AM
The question I have is will the game be on Saturday the 3rd(Labor Day weekend) or maybe a few days earlier to get a bigger crowd. *

I talked to Gene that night and he said they will only schedule a Thursday game, no attendance on Labor Day Saturday.

somebison
04-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Augie?

greenandgold01
04-19-2005, 01:24 AM
I did some quick checking around and every single NSIC (plus I checked Upper Iowa and UMary) and NCC team has a game on 9/3.

While it's possible that we'd schedule a regional DIII or NAIA team, I sincerly hope that is not the case as that'd be a waste of our time and wouldn't help us complete our goal of being ranked in the top 10 in DIaa.

greenandgold01
04-19-2005, 01:37 AM
I also checked the RMAC, everyone there has games on 9/3.

greenandgold01
04-19-2005, 01:44 AM
Saginaw Valley is the only team in the GLIAC without a game on 9/3 (they have 13 teams in their conference).

That would be a decent game.

somebison
04-19-2005, 02:04 AM
Emporia

JBB
04-19-2005, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Augi. There are better teams out there but Augi is a stout competitor.

greenandgold01
04-19-2005, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Augi. There are better teams out there but Augi is a stout competitor.

Did you read my post? All NSIC and NCC teams have games on the 9/3.

greenandgold01
04-19-2005, 03:19 AM
Emporia

http://www.svsu.edu/athletics/mens/fb/schedule.htm

Sag Valley is open 9/3.

Esquire
04-19-2005, 03:22 AM
With it getting late in the game, I heard that we are trying to buy a DII school out of their existing contract and then paying them additional money to play us.

greenandgold01
04-19-2005, 03:24 AM
With it getting late in the game, I heard that we are trying to buy a DII school out of their existing contract and then paying them additional money to play us.

We could've had New Hampshire travel to Fargo to a for sure sell out.

Now we're going to buy out a DII contract and pay them a guarantee to what will probably be a half full dome.

I just don't get it..... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

greenandgold01
04-19-2005, 03:27 AM
The 10 games that we have are all top 25 DIaa caliber teams.

Maybe we should just stick to 10 games this year guys?

No?

It's not like the fairweather Fargo fans were going to draw much on labor day weekend anyway. The students won't even be moved in yet.

Does anyone here feel that we should just stick with the 10 games we have, have a nice late start when the students are all settled in, play 5 hard games, take a week off, and then play 5 more hard games?

Anyone?

Esquire
04-19-2005, 03:31 AM
I agree with you that it would have great to get another D-I game. I love to watch the talented teams come into the dome. But, at the same time, its the home opener, and there will be a big crowd regardless. Not a sellout, but a big crowd. The excitement will be missing, but we will be 1-0 (hopefully!).

roadwarrior
04-19-2005, 03:37 AM
Students not moved in by Labor Day weekend?

First full day of classes is August 23rd!

roadwarrior
04-19-2005, 03:40 AM
I for one, definitely vote for an 11th game.

BisBison
04-19-2005, 04:00 AM
gotta pay the bills man; get a game 11 home opener against almost anybody, it will draw 11-12 thousand.

greenandgold01
04-19-2005, 04:17 AM
I wouldn't have thought they'd bring the students in the week before labor day.

Not as if they'll be paying to watch the game, though.

kchats
04-19-2005, 04:25 AM

When they switched to semesters they started starting classes earlier. When we were on quarters we always started after labor day.

JBB
04-19-2005, 06:01 PM
My bad on that Augi Date. I didnt see that the NCC was all scheduled.

Arent buyouts fairly small? If we do buy out a DII team it probably wont be a perennial playoff contender. I was surprised we got Carson Newman last season. A team like Augi would fit the bill.

On the other hand CN did make the DII playoffs even with the NDSU loss, so maybe we could find a strong DII program that had confidence they could absorb a DI-AA loss and still have a good shot?

BisBison
04-19-2005, 06:28 PM
I think a NCC team would be fine for an eleventh game; it would give us a chance to show the area skeptics that we really are playing at a higher level. :o

Gamehunter
04-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Yes, I have said it before. If its going to be division 2, I say get a NCC team, especially if we are going to go through the hassle of buying someone out.

JBB
04-20-2005, 01:16 AM
I hear that and a decent NCC team should get a premium. *Ive got no problem with a couple of teams in the MIAA though. NCC top draw, big paycheck, UNO!

BisBison
04-20-2005, 01:45 AM
I hear that and a decent NCC team should get a premium. *Ive got no problem with a couple of teams in the MIAA though. *NCC top draw, big paycheck, UNO!
I agree, scrioux the sioux.

SDbison
04-20-2005, 05:42 AM
There are absolutely no DIAA teams that could play on Thursday (9/1)? I am sorry, but you guys sound pathetic getting worked up about playing a NCC team. Or even mentioning playing U of Mary. I hope none of those Sue message board vultures wanders by and reads your posts. NDSU is DIAA. What is wrong with playing an all DIAA schedule. I think there must have been some mix ups not having secured an all DIAA schedule. Playing any of the local DII's or any NAIA or DIII teams will prove nothing. Not much to be gained slaughtering an unworthy opponent (could just as well do another spring game like scrimmage). This fear of playing all tough teams goes against what the Bison have always been about. If you want to be the best play the best.

dakotadan
04-20-2005, 06:14 AM
I agree, scrioux the sioux.

I thought UND fans were always the first ones to bring up the Sioux ::)

tophatfan
04-20-2005, 06:24 AM

We do pay for games, we have a student activity fee that pays for our attending of Bison Sporting Events

BISON_PRIDE
04-20-2005, 06:25 AM
I think that the reason Taylor wants to schedule a sure win is the same reason that almost every DI A team schedules a DI AA team to start the season. To give the team some experience and confidence going into the heart of their schedule.

BisBison
04-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I thought UND fans were always the first ones to bring up the Sioux ::)
I know, I know, I just couldn't help it. sorry. :-[

greenandgold01
04-20-2005, 01:47 PM
We do pay for games, we have a student activity fee that pays for our attending of Bison Sporting Events

Exactly.

IE, the students will be paying the same whether there actually is an 11th game or not.

JBB
04-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey SDBison, I dont know that we are pathetic as much as realistic. I guess we could maintain as tough of schedule as we want, but there is no disgrace is playing a DII team, even Bismarck if they ever get as good as the ore Diggers anyway.

Just like the Gophers are a good game for regional DI-AA teams, NDSU is a good game for regional DII teams.

Of course in the old days we did schedule as tough as we wanted for the 2 or 3 extra games we got outside the NCC. We didnt need to go out and find tomato cans because the NCC was loaded with them.

Rodentia
04-20-2005, 03:30 PM
SDBison, your missing the point. It's not a matter of not wanting to play 11 games against I-AA teams, it is a matter of not being able to get 11 I-AA teams on the schedule. I'm sure that NDSU is trying to schedule the best available opponent.

greenandgold01
04-20-2005, 04:11 PM
SDBison, your missing the point. It's not a matter of not wanting to play 11 games against I-AA teams, it is a matter of not being able to get 11 I-AA teams on the schedule. I'm sure that NDSU is trying to schedule the best available opponent.

No, they're not. Our AD had an oppertunity to get New Hampshire but didn't want to add another top quality DIaa team.

jjbluecw
04-20-2005, 04:26 PM
No, they're not. Our AD had an oppertunity to get New Hampshire but didn't want to add another top quality DIaa team.

Was New Hampshire willing to come to Fargo this year?

greenandgold01
04-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Was New Hampshire willing to come to Fargo this year?

They signed a deal to play at UC Davis.

UNH is actually very close to Boston. They could've just as easily chartered a plane from Boston to Fargo as they could've Boston to Sacromento. In fact, they'd probably have to stop in Minneapolis anyway if they were going from Boston to Sacromento.

jjbluecw
04-20-2005, 08:54 PM
They signed a deal to play at UC Davis.

UNH is actually very close to Boston. They could've just as easily chartered a plane from Boston to Fargo as they could've Boston to Sacromento. In fact, they'd probably have to stop in Minneapolis anyway if they were going from Boston to Sacromento.

That sucks. I think that would have been an ideal scenario.

JBB
04-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Yea, it could have been a great game. *I have a feeling, if they were willing, coach said no. *If thats right, it tells you something. *I think it is right, because the coach has a lot of say.

I read it this way:

Get somebody in here, who cares? *Lets get a game. *Next yr, or maybe the following yr, we will play 2 DI-As. *I think thats our future. *2-DI-As, 9-DIAAs, 1-DII or something. *

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 12:45 AM
2DIa's and 9DIaa's would be 11 games.

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 02:18 PM
If Bohl turned down the game it means he has BRAINS!

A loss would be devastating for the program.

NDSU has a lot of fair weather fans nowadays

& the schedule as it is is absolutely brutal.

I know that we all want to see competition and our current schedule has got that. But my God people! these athletes are students!

WYOBISONMAN
04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
There is nothing wrong with an easier home opener, however, we can't stoop to the level of Montana Tech if at all possible.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 02:51 PM
If Bohl turned down the game it means he has BRAINS!

A loss would be devastating for the program.

NDSU has a lot of fair weather fans nowadays

& the schedule as it is is absolutely brutal.

I know that we all want to see competition and our current schedule has got that. But my God people! these athletes are students!

What does being a student have to do with scheduling a tough home opener?

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
What does being a student have to do with scheduling a tough home opener?

these aren't professional athletes.

playing tough games week in and week out is great for us fans, but it takes a toll physically and mentally

being a student only adds to this.

Bisonfan1
04-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Some very good points made. I do not want to see a Montana Tech if at all possible, I dont think the Bison need to open against the #1 or #2 team in the country either or other high ranked team. NorthDakotaBison is right, unfortunetely there are still alot of fair weather fans out there, and if the Bison open with a loss, it would effect the gate for some time. I have no problem with a Carson-Newman type caliber team coming to the Fargodome if a DIAA cannot be scheduled. I will take any home game as it looks like only 6 this year and when it comes down to it Id drive the 200 miles round trip to watch the Bison play who ever Gene Taylor and Coach Bohl schedule to play. I would think they would know whats best for the program. I cant remember who's schedule it was, but I think somebody has like 8 games at home this year, would'nt that just be wonderful.

JBB
04-21-2005, 03:48 PM
2DIa's and 9DIaa's would be 11 games.

and the DII makes 12, assuming of course the 12 game rule is passed.

I doubt we will get an NCC team. It seems like they would rather travel across the country to play a home/home than take a guarantee and take the bus to Fargo.

If we play a DII theres a good chance it will be out of the south region. I dont see any NSIC teams stepping up, but, because their programs are smaller the money might be a big motivator.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 04:01 PM
these aren't professional athletes.

playing tough games week in and week out is great for us fans, but it takes a toll physically and mentally

being a student only adds to this.

But the first opponent there is zero school work to be factored in.

If anything, your logic on applies to late season games.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 04:01 PM
and the DII makes 12, assuming of course the 12 game rule is passed.

I doubt we will get an NCC team. It seems like they would rather travel across the country to play a home/home than take a guarantee and take the bus to Fargo.

If we play a DII theres a good chance it will be out of the south region. I dont see any NSIC teams stepping up, but, because their programs are smaller the money might be a big motivator.

I think Gene already said that if the 12 game rule gets passed it would not automatically guarantee that NDSU schedules 12 games.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 04:36 PM
There is nothing wrong with an easier home opener, however, we can't stoop to the level of Montana Tech if at all possible.

I agree. I just hope they schedule a competitive game.

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 04:55 PM

no, i am assuming that there is some degree of memory in both physical and mental stress

does this stress only accumulate if the students have no homework?

JBB
04-21-2005, 05:04 PM
I read that too GreenandGold01. He did sound a little negative about it, but I think if the rule passes we will see some 12 game seasons.

BisonInTexas
04-21-2005, 05:15 PM
no, i am assuming that there is some degree of memory in both physical and mental stress

does this stress only accumulate if the students have no homework?

The Bison have played 15 game seasons in the past and none of their players had a nervous breakdown. *;D

12 games vs. 11 is not that big a deal, IMO. *

Craig

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 05:23 PM
The Bison have played 15 game seasons in the pass and none of their players had a nervous breakdown. *;D

Craig

I don't disagree with what you're saying (I also don't know if it's true ;D), but I don't remember the last time we played teams anywhere near the quality that we will be seeing this season.

Gamehunter
04-21-2005, 07:07 PM

What are you talking about? School starts August 22nd. I totally agree with the bad effects of overloading the student-athletes. This is NOT the NFL. I got to watch the BISON play, I don't go to watch their competition.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 07:11 PM
What are you talking about? School starts August 22nd. I totally agree with the bad effects of overloading the student-athletes. This is NOT the NFL. I got to watch the BISON play, I don't go to watch their competition.

I agree with that they could use an easier game with the toughness the rest of the schedule brings. If you don't go to watch the competition, what's the point? Might as well just go watch them have a light scrimmage if that's the case.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Nothing happens in the first week of school.

In 2007 NDSU is going to be playing the Gophers for the season opener. And you want to prepare them by playing a NAIA school?!

Gamehunter
04-22-2005, 04:04 AM
You have got to be kidding me. When was the last time you have taken a college course and what was it? Underwater basket weaving? You stated that there is "zero school work to be factored in". My first week of school I had PLENTY of work to do. The very first day of class is usually class expectations and going over the syllabus, but after that its the same old.

The Gopher game is in 2007, 2 years away. What would make you think that the 2005 opener has to be the absolute best team in D1AA in order for us to be prepared for a game 2 year later!!!???? I think Coach Bohl will prepare them for that game in 2007, not 2005. Lets worry about things one step at a time folks.

greenandgold01
04-22-2005, 04:54 AM
You have got to be kidding me. When was the last time you have taken a college course and what was it? Underwater basket weaving? You stated that there is "zero school work to be factored in". My first week of school I had PLENTY of work to do. The very first day of class is usually class expectations and going over the syllabus, but after that its the same old.

The Gopher game is in 2007, 2 years away. What would make you think that the 2005 opener has to be the absolute best team in D1AA in order for us to be prepared for a game 2 year later!!!???? I think Coach Bohl will prepare them for that game in 2007, not 2005. Lets worry about things one step at a time folks.

In 2005 it's more than ok for Bohl to want a small time D2 team because it's simply too much to ask of a player to prepare for a game and do school work.

But as soon as 2007 rolls around, bring on the Gophers and to hell with school?

I see a glaring inconsistancy in the application of your logic.