PDA

View Full Version : The New WAC

SkolMitzel
01-07-2021, 03:30 PM
Looks like there will be a new conference in the FCS.
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1346822390496567297?s=20

HerdBot
01-07-2021, 04:56 PM
That sucks. I was hoping they were going to save their spot a G 5 conference

WhoRepsTheLurker
01-07-2021, 05:17 PM
So they'll kick everybody out when they go FBS? Dixie State? Seriously?

I guess the late Sioux Volley was right, in an odd and convoluted sort of way

This just demonstrates how badly CFB needs actual leadership ...

Professor Chaos
01-07-2021, 05:21 PM
So they'll kick everybody out when they go FBS? Dixie State? Seriously?

I guess the late Sioux Volley was right, in an odd and convoluted sort of way

This just demonstrates how badly CFB needs actual leadership ...
Yeah, the "elevate to FBS football later this decade" part gave me a belly laugh.

Not one of those schools is anywhere near ready for an FBS move. New Mexico St should just swallow their pride and go the route of Idaho... we'll see how long it is before they realize it.

NDSU92
01-07-2021, 05:22 PM
Does their claim of wanting to go FBS hold any water? If so, what stops me from grouping up Jamestown, Mayville State, UMary and declaring the same thing?

southcliffbison
01-07-2021, 05:57 PM
Does their claim of wanting to go FBS hold any water? If so, what stops me from grouping up Jamestown, Mayville State, UMary and declaring the same thing?

Mo way this could happen without Dickinson State and Dakota State University....

23Bison
01-07-2021, 06:17 PM
I don’t get why they think they can eventually get to FBS status? Don’t they need like 6 FBS schools in the conference to do so? I mean all we have been told for years was that an FCS conference can’t just proclaim itself with FBS status. If that’s not the case then MVFC needs to get it’s head out of its ass.

BattleBorn
01-07-2021, 06:25 PM
I don’t get why they think they can eventually get to FBS status? Don’t they need like 6 FBS schools in the conference to do so? I mean all we have been told for years was that an FCS conference can’t just proclaim itself with FBS status. If that’s not the case then MVFC needs to get it’s head out of its ass.

Some semblance of the MVFC to FBS would be a lot of fun. Trim some fat, get St. Thomas to come along, and away we go!

23Bison
01-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Some semblance of the MVFC to FBS would be a lot of fun. Trim some fat, get St. Thomas to come along, and away we go!

Right, I mean what has changed to make a conference think that they can just up and join the FBS ranks?

NDSU
SDSU
UNI
ISUR
YSU is a solid start to a quality FBS conference. I’d add the Montana’s if they were interested. Sure St. Thomas once they’ve established themselves in the FCS for a couple seasons.
Don’t care for UND for obvious reasons. USD isn’t consistent enough. Missouri St is pretty gross, ISUB can’t figure out if it wants to be a quality program or not. Not sure what to think about SIU. Hell, I’d leave out YSU and St Thomas and add New Mexico St and Idaho.
IDAHO
NMST
MONTANA
MONTANA ST
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
ISUR
Lots of traveling for some teams.

BattleBorn
01-07-2021, 07:40 PM
Right, I mean what has changed to make a conference think that they can just up and join the FBS ranks?

NDSU
SDSU
UNI
ISUR
YSU is a solid start to a quality FBS conference. I’d add the Montana’s if they were interested. Sure St. Thomas once they’ve established themselves in the FCS for a couple seasons.
Don’t care for UND for obvious reasons. USD isn’t consistent enough. Missouri St is pretty gross, ISUB can’t figure out if it wants to be a quality program or not. Not sure what to think about SIU. Hell, I’d leave out YSU and St Thomas and add New Mexico St and Idaho.
IDAHO
NMST
MONTANA
MONTANA ST
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
ISUR
Lots of traveling for some teams.

I think for political reasons, you need to give MVC schools right of first refusal:
ISUb, Missouri State, SIU.
Or just give it a new name and solve that problem.

23Bison
01-07-2021, 07:47 PM
I agree. Just stating possibilities that are out there if it were that easy.

SamsRams
01-08-2021, 11:27 AM
Besides the Pioneer, is there a worse FCS conference than the WAC?

Gully
01-08-2021, 11:49 AM
What's crazy about this is back in the day the WAC actually had some pretty good football. Granted, it was Big Sky type of style as opposed to Midwest, but it was fun to watch. Now.....Dixie State?? LOL.

Dom says he's working on getting with NDSU on questions of a potential football move....but I would imagine they're not excited to talk to him about that. Maybe the IPF announcement opens the door to an interview and he can get a few questions in about the future.

Bisonator98
01-08-2021, 12:20 PM

The Patriot.

NDSU92
01-08-2021, 01:53 PM

What the Southland is going to become?

MankatoBison
01-08-2021, 01:59 PM
Yeah, the "elevate to FBS football later this decade" part gave me a belly laugh.

Not one of those schools is anywhere near ready for an FBS move. New Mexico St should just swallow their pride and go the route of Idaho... we'll see how long it is before they realize it.

Correct- these schools??? FBS QUALITY???? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LL

THe Wac may be a future FBS conference, but not with the schmucks in there right now

JohnnyExtacy
01-08-2021, 04:25 PM
Correct- these schools??? FBS QUALITY???? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LL

THe Wac may be a future FBS conference, but not with the schmucks in there right now

That's the goal in by the end of decade. This is awesome. In 2030 NDSU could be in an FCS dominated by NDSU, SDSU, Grand Valley State when they move up, Slippery Rock, and possibly another Missouri Valley team. Go Bison!

NovaBison
01-08-2021, 09:34 PM

That's what has always irritated me about these teams that move up... they do it because a consultant they hired to study playing football at the FBS level, saying they can do it because they are in a city with a population that theoretically can support them, and that because they are in that city, they will get big TV viewership... never do they consider that a team must have a successful track record, that would be necessary to develop a fanbase, or even moderate interest in that "tv viewing area"

Does the FBS need more teams like this? UNC Charlotte, Georgia State, South Alabama, Texas State, UMass... I could go on, but those are teams that are "FBS cannon fodder" that only exist so other FBS teams can schedule them to lose as a homecoming opponent... but they play at the highest level, while driving up the cost of education for current students of those schools.

I know that's not how it works - but playing at the FBS level should be earned, not bought -- especially if it is financed through student loans.
-

MankatoBison
01-12-2021, 01:37 PM
That's what has always irritated me about these teams that move up... they do it because a consultant they hired to study playing football at the FBS level, saying they can do it because they are in a city with a population that theoretically can support them, and that because they are in that city, they will get big TV viewership... never do they consider that a team must have a successful track record, that would be necessary to develop a fanbase, or even moderate interest in that "tv viewing area"

Does the FBS need more teams like this? UNC Charlotte, Georgia State, South Alabama, Texas State, UMass... I could go on, but those are teams that are "FBS cannon fodder" that only exist so other FBS teams can schedule them to lose as a homecoming opponent... but they play at the highest level, while driving up the cost of education for current students of those schools.

I know that's not how it works - but playing at the FBS level should be earned, not bought -- especially if it is financed through student loans.
-

Must spread rep

Hammerhead
01-12-2021, 08:02 PM
There are at least three conferences in the FBS that are not FBS quality.

NovaBison
01-12-2021, 09:36 PM

Yup... MAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt... I am guessing that if they all competed in the FCS playoffs, even with 22 more scholarships, they couldn't get a title for any of their teams.

There's a reason they don't play elite FCS teams... they would get exposed for the posers they are

Twincitybizon
01-12-2021, 09:53 PM
Yup... MAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt... I am guessing that if they all competed in the FCS playoffs, even with 22 more scholarships, they couldn't get a title for any of their teams.

There's a reason they don't play elite FCS teams... they would get exposed for the posers they are

Exaggeration for effect, those conferences would be definitely above average and absolutely in contention for titles.

ByeSonBusiness
01-12-2021, 10:05 PM

Conference USA has at least a couple schools that have won FCS titles, and the Sun Belt has some as well. I think the MAC schools have always been FBS/1A, but I presume a few of them would probably have won as well.

Coastal Carolina and Georgia Southern nearly beat NDSU in playoff games with 63 scholarships, but suddenly with 85 are posers?

NovaBison
01-13-2021, 12:21 PM
Conference USA has at least a couple schools that have won FCS titles, and the Sun Belt has some as well. I think the MAC schools have always been FBS/1A, but I presume a few of them would probably have won as well.

Coastal Carolina and Georgia Southern nearly beat NDSU in playoff games with 63 scholarships, but suddenly with 85 are posers?

In retrospect... I was a bit hard on those FBS conferences... I got carried away -- it happens :)

Gully
01-13-2021, 12:49 PM
In retrospect... I was a bit hard on those FBS conferences... I got carried away -- it happens :)

You did overstate your point....but you did make a good point, those conferences in my mind are very similar to the top FCS conferences, or at least the top half of the top FCS conferences.

Bisonator98
01-13-2021, 01:34 PM

Well there are at least 3 FCS conferences that are not D2 quality!:duel:

MankatoBison
01-13-2021, 03:05 PM

Sun belt is pretty legit right now- head and shoulders above the MAC and CUSA. World beaters? no. but Coastal and APP State are legit along with louisianna who beat Iowa state handily

TAILG8R
01-13-2021, 03:44 PM
Sun belt is pretty legit right now- head and shoulders above the MAC and CUSA. World beaters? no. but Coastal and APP State are legit along with louisianna who beat Iowa state handily

So now we need to get into the Sun Belt? :hide:

I can't keep up with which FBS conference is worth joining and which ones we should thumb our nose at.

:)

MankatoBison
01-13-2021, 03:58 PM
So now we need to get into the Sun Belt? :hide:

I can't keep up with which FBS conference is worth joining and which ones we should thumb our nose at.

:)

I didnt say join the sunbelt- the guy just said that 3 FBS conferences wouldnt be competitive in FCS football with 85 scholarships. And I'm saying Sun belt would very clearly be competitive in FCS.

TAILG8R
01-13-2021, 05:18 PM
I didnt say join the sunbelt- the guy just said that 3 FBS conferences wouldnt be competitive in FCS football with 85 scholarships. And I'm saying Sun belt would very clearly be competitive in FCS.

I know and wasn't a shot at you just found it funny how much the sun belt has been shit on around here and now it's somewhat a legit FBS conference with the success of a few teams.

MankatoBison
01-13-2021, 06:43 PM
I know and wasn't a shot at you just found it funny how much the sun belt has been shit on around here and now it's somewhat a legit FBS conference with the success of a few teams.

GOTCHA- all good brutha

Herd
01-13-2021, 07:13 PM

With Global Warming an all, NDSU is now smack dab right in the middle of the new Sun Belt.

TAILG8R
01-13-2021, 07:46 PM
Southland looking to kick out those schools going to the WAC earlier than 2022 - https://twitter.com/CollConsulting/status/1349066966301106176

Hammerhead
01-13-2021, 09:00 PM
Southland looking to kick out those schools going to the WAC earlier than 2022 - https://twitter.com/CollConsulting/status/1349066966301106176

They can just go independent in the FBS instead of waiting for the WAC to move up in a decade. Right???

bruinbison
01-14-2021, 04:57 PM
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UT RGV) commits to add FCS football by 2023/24 in order to join WAC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1349756155506130946

Also, Central Arkansas confirmed leaving Southland Conference for Atlantic Sun

https://mobile.twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1349766140910850048

TAILG8R
01-14-2021, 05:10 PM
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UT RGV) commits to add FCS football by 2023/24 in order to join WAC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1349756155506130946

Also, Central Arkansas confirmed leaving Southland Conference for Atlantic Sun

https://mobile.twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1349766140910850048

Are they going to start sponsoring football?

I guess they will most likely play in the Big South like a couple other ASUN football schools.