PDA

View Full Version : Bye Coach Blazek

El_Chapo
01-04-2021, 05:36 PM
Wyoming football has announced that AJ Blazek has been hired as the new offensive line coach, replacing Bart Miller. Blazek comes from North Dakota State.
#gowyo #OneWyoming

Another off to FBS land. AJ Loved it at NDSU, Loved the Culture coming from Rutgers. This just goes to show you, NDSU needs to step it up.

Bohl & Crew
Klieman & Crew

it'll keep happening. Bohl and Klieman can just pluck coaches and recruits ANYTIME they want. Sad

key line "I'm so excited to join Coach Bohl and his staff at Wyoming," said Blazek. "Having been here at NDSU and knowing what Coach built and accomplished here before he moved to Wyoming, I'm extremely excited to be part of that culture

Article is here https://gowyo.com/news/2021/1/4/wyoming-football-hires-aj-blazek-as-new-offensive-line-coach.aspx

scottietohottie
01-04-2021, 05:39 PM
No eyebrows strikes again.

NovaBison
01-04-2021, 05:53 PM
Sad to see him go... always enjoyed his interviews -- seems like a great guy.

With that said, it will be interesting to see who they replace him with... I suspect AJ probably suggested someone pretty good -- if you are an O Line Coach and you want to coach the power run game -- NDSU is the place in college football, no matter the level, that you want to be!

HerdBot
01-04-2021, 05:55 PM
I said from the beginning it was clear he was not going to be here long term. You don't go from power 5 to ndsu unless it's transitional

But he's a very good coach and I wish him well

But simply moving up would not have kept him. We need a larger budget for coaching salaries

El_Chapo
01-04-2021, 06:05 PM
Hello New OL Coach Rob Hunt ???
(5 years OC/OL coach at MSUM, Played in NFL, Knows NDSU system, will be cheap... which is what NDSU likes in 2021 eh matt larson?)

See if Conor Riley wants to come back from K State before they all get fired next year when they go 3-8 & gene taylor retires? (just kidding, dude is making $400k/year)

BTW I loved Blazek. Dude was awesome!!! but double your salary? duh. $100k to $200k ?

Hammerhead
01-04-2021, 06:21 PM
Open your wallet wider. There isn't an NCAA limit on coaches salaries is there? The only limiting factor is the money coming in.

(5 years OC/OL coach at MSUM, Played in NFL, Knows NDSU system, will be cheap... which is what NDSU likes in 2021 eh matt larson?)

See if Conor Riley wants to come back from K State before they all get fired next year when they go 3-8 & gene taylor retires? (just kidding, dude is making $400k/year)

BTW I loved Blazek. Dude was awesome!!! but double your salary? duh. $100k to $200k ?

bruinbison
01-04-2021, 06:44 PM
Looks like the previous OLine Coach, Bart Miller, took a job with the new Illinois staff (former Wisconsin later Arkansas coach Bret Bielema). According to this, Miller’s base salary this season at Wyoming was $200,000.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/what-will-wyomings-football-assistants-be-paid-in-2020/article_05d48f39-2cce-559a-9aa9-a373be6a188b.amp.html

HandoEX
01-04-2021, 06:58 PM
Sucks to see him go but best of luck at Wyo! Will be interesting to see who Entz hires. Great gig!!

HerdBot
01-04-2021, 07:20 PM

Rob Hunt would be a good hire. He's been up here for a long time so he's not going to leave for the next girl who gives him attention

I wouldn't say he would be cheap, kind of insulting. But NDSU pays way better than D2 and he could be a long term guy.

NDSUSR
01-04-2021, 08:12 PM
Rumor has it that Bo Pelini is headed to NDSU to take AJ's spot.

j/k

El_Chapo
01-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Rumor has it that Bo Pelini is headed to NDSU to take AJ's spot.

j/k

Gus Bradley, Todd Wash ?

EC8CH
01-04-2021, 08:54 PM
Can't wait until our new Oline is one of the best defensive units in all of FCS football.

TAILG8R
01-04-2021, 10:54 PM
Can't wait unless our new Oline is one of the best defensive units in all of FCS football.

Are you feeling ok? That is the second post today that I just can't figure out what the hell it means. haha

oldmantutters
01-04-2021, 11:29 PM
Are you feeling ok? That is the second post today that I just can't figure out what the hell it means. hahaThose are defensive coaches

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

TAILG8R
01-04-2021, 11:32 PM
Those are defensive coaches

Sent from my Pixel 4a using TapatalkAh, wasn't putting it together with Chapo's post. Makes sense now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

EC8CH
01-04-2021, 11:34 PM
Ah, wasn't putting it together with Chapo's post. Makes sense now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Bo Pelini suggestion as well.

MankatoBison
01-05-2021, 01:32 PM
Go be a legend, Coach

totoinfl
01-05-2021, 02:33 PM
The Bo Pelini suggestion as well.

Can we hire Pelini just as coach of Sideline Antics...he is fun to watch...

Twincitybizon
01-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Can we hire Pelini just as coach of Sideline Antics...he is fun to watch...

He could audition for Thundar?

G_Funky
01-05-2021, 05:25 PM
Does him leaving impact any of the incoming o-line recruits?

23Bison
01-05-2021, 06:04 PM
I realize that he just left but the fact that there has been little to no news on any possible candidates to replace him, is bothering me a little bit.

mtoutfitter
01-05-2021, 06:06 PM

I doubt it. They're all just "walk on" quality according to one poster.

scottietohottie
01-05-2021, 06:09 PM
I realize that he just left but the fact that there has been little to no news on any possible candidates to replace him, is bothering me a little bit.

Holding out for Doug Pederson.

23Bison
01-05-2021, 07:13 PM
Holding out for Doug Pederson.

Is he any good? :facepalm:

OrygunBison
01-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Of all years, I really don't like losing any coaches this "off season". We need a new guy to get in there and establish himself in such a short time. Normally, there's a good batch of time to ease into spring ball with much more time for someone to get settled before the big show starts in the summer. Really for this year, we need our new guy to be on task right now.

TAILG8R
01-05-2021, 08:37 PM
Of all years, I really don't like losing any coaches this "off season". We need a new guy to get in there and establish himself in such a short time. Normally, there's a good batch of time to ease into spring ball with much more time for someone to get settled before the big show starts in the summer. Really for this year, we need our new guy to be on task right now.

Maybe this hire will come from inside from a "lesser" position and that position backfilled externally.

bruinbison
01-05-2021, 09:51 PM

All good reasons for concern.
There is never a good time for coaching change, but in trying to be optimistic I think of a few things

- primary 2021 recruiting season is done with December signing in the books
(2022 recruiting can & will be a concern with staff turnover however)

- with preseason camp starting shortly, a hire should be made sooner rather than later

- that being said, there is a certain way NDSU runs its offense, so the next OLine will know what is expected of him - no reinventing of the wheel......plus there is no spring ball when a new coach might be more likely to make changes

- many veteran OLineman on the roster - they know the system

- already went through a camp last fall

- it’s NDSU - best FCS job out there!

Kolpack has a good article on it.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6828060-For-FCS-schools-like-NDSU-timing-of-coaching-departures-is-an-issue#.X_TUDQ9gDM4.twitter

Sounds promising.

El_Chapo
01-05-2021, 09:53 PM

I'd say NO since 3 of the 4 are PWO according to their twitters , in fact, Blazek didn't exactly knock it out of the park w recruiting this year hmmm

Sam Henry, 6-6, 270, OL, Eden Prairie, MN PWO
Braden Rucker, 6-3, 245, DL/OL, Eureka, KS PWO
Blake Sadr, 6-4. 255, OL/DL, Treynor, IA only 1 D1 offer UNI
Kayden Warren, 6-4, 240, OL/DL, Rice Lake, WI PWO

TAILG8R
01-05-2021, 09:57 PM
I'd say NO since 3 of the 4 are PWO according to their twitters , in fact, Blazek didn't exactly knock it out of the park w recruiting this year hmmm

Can't wait until one of those guys in playing on Sundays. :)

bruinbison
01-05-2021, 10:03 PM
Can't wait until one of those guys in playing on Sundays. :)

Yes to that!

At least Chapo is consistent......
consistently negative on NDSU.

When he starts being positive I might get worried :o

El_Chapo
01-05-2021, 10:05 PM
hey, hopefully they produce.
But when it comes to recruiting I deal in facts. Gladly welcoming being wrong.

point was, Blazek won't be taking these recruits.

bruinbison
01-06-2021, 12:27 AM
hey, hopefully they produce.
But when it comes to recruiting I deal in facts. Gladly welcoming being wrong.

point was, Blazek won't be taking these recruits.

But, the point is, rather than just stating this opinion,
you tied it into another put down of the Bison
Preferred Walk On Program.

And in a small available scholarship (14? - 16?)
recruiting year......:facepalm2:

ByeSonBusiness
01-06-2021, 12:33 AM

I'll give FCS programs a bit of rope this year with recruiting/scholarship guys.

Lot of cash-poor programs right now who aren't going to be throwing a ton of scholarship money around I imagine.

MankatoBison
01-06-2021, 03:10 PM
I'm sure Blazek will be back as soon as he realizes that we play for CHAMPIONSHIPS here in the FCS. Competition is better here anyways. Way better to play for a natty in frisco than the potato bowl. You know this is true since the FCS is the premier league in College football and pays the best because it has the most eyes on it and advertisers pay more for FCS because championships.

He'll be back guys, dont even worry about it

mtoutfitter
01-06-2021, 04:14 PM

Yes, constant put downs. As usual his FACTS are off. Warren is a DL not an OL. Highly doubt Sam Henry is a PWO?? Also Sadr had 2 other D1 offers not just one.

HerdBot
01-06-2021, 05:31 PM

Assistant coaches recruit based on territory, not position. But most of our really good o lineman have been walkons, including Joe Haeg. Not everyone is Billy Turner or Radunz loaded with offers.

bruinbison
01-06-2021, 05:39 PM
I'm sure Blazek will be back as soon as he realizes that we play for CHAMPIONSHIPS here in the FCS. Competition is better here anyways. Way better to play for a natty in frisco than the potato bowl. You know this is true since the FCS is the premier league in College football and pays the best because it has the most eyes on it and advertisers pay more for FCS because championships.

He'll be back guys, dont even worry about it

Don’t worry about Blazek, his mistake.
He’ll be crying in his coffee/rhubarb pie at the Laramie Applebee’s
when the Bison FBS money starts rolling in.

Now that the off-season is here for FBS, unlike springtime D2 football,
the bidding war can begin for the services & tv ratings of NDSU football.
The AAC better be on their game and get in first with their best offer -
before the MW gets down on bended knee.
Hopefully, for the MW, they get a big buyout inserted into the NDSU contract, because everyone knows the MW is just being used as a springboard by the Bison......

And don’t you, MB, give up hope. You are needed. The FOB* task force has an important job for you - administration of the FBS Loyalty Pledge! Every resistance FIB** member quivers, like Jell-O shots at a winter tailgate, upon hearing the dreaded challenge "please name a single positive aspect of FBS that could benefit NDSU".
It is the best way to ferret out the large population of Anti-FBS FIB members.
(I’d also recommend the background music for the Loyalty Pledge be “If you wanna play in Texas, ya gotta have a fiddle in the band”......if there is even a bit of toe tapping - Busted!).
And of course anyone with a “I Love Frisco” bumper sticker is immediately outed.

And once those Anti-FBS scourges are dealt with, well, they are the only thing holding NDSU back from their rightful place in the FBS.

*FOB - FBS Or Bust
**FIB - FCS Is Best

bruinbison
01-06-2021, 08:27 PM
Assistant coaches recruit based on territory, not position. But most of our really good o lineman have been walkons, including Joe Haeg. Not everyone is Billy Turner or Radunz loaded with offers.

Following on this, Blazek is originally from Kansas, had U of Iowa experience and recruiting experience in Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Kansas, perhaps more.
So it would be nice to replace that with someone who knows OL, but also has recruiting experience in some of that area. I enjoy seeing that KC area covered, especially Missouri.

So, don’t know why, thought of our old D2 friends, NW Missouri State.
Hey, their OLine Coach would maybe know KC/Missouri recruiting, right?
Turns out the guy even has coached at Winona State - 2015 & 16 (Coach Entz arrived in Fargo Jan of 2014)
Weird!
Plus 6-7 years at Minnesota State Mankato.
Plus one year in Grand Forks

southcliffbison
01-06-2021, 10:18 PM
Following on this, Blazek is originally from Kansas, had U of Iowa experience and recruiting experience in Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Kansas, perhaps more.
So it would be nice to replace that with someone who knows OL, but also has recruiting experience in some of that area. I enjoy seeing that KC area covered, especially Missouri.

Turns out the guy even has coached at Winona State - 2015 & 16 (Coach Entz arrived in Fargo Jan of 2014)
Weird!

"one year in Grand Forks" For what? Was he in jail?

56BISON73
01-06-2021, 11:09 PM

Weird!

Who are you talking about here?

mtoutfitter
01-06-2021, 11:51 PM
[/B]

Who are you talking about here?

Quick search on the web comes up with a fella named Mike Cunningham.

bruinbison
01-07-2021, 01:10 AM
Quick search on the web comes up with a fella named Mike Cunningham.

And I thought Herdbot had a good point on assistant coaches & recruiting,
so I was just throwing a dart at the dartboard looking for an OLine Coach.
No idea if he is interested.
Coach Entz has referred to many people being interested in the job in the Kolpack interview, so no shortage of prospects.

bstark28
01-12-2021, 03:58 PM
Per Dom's Twitter post yesterday, he says that NDSU is close to hiring a O-Line coach, with an announcement expected soon.....interested to see who they bring in.

Jay
01-12-2021, 04:16 PM
Per Dom's Twitter post yesterday, he says that NDSU is close to hiring a O-Line coach, with an announcement expected soon.....interested to see who they bring in.

Posted this on the other board, but this is my guess. I wouldn't necessarily think he'll be Oline... could be someone existing on the staff.

https://msumavericks.com/staff-directory/joe-beschorner/215

NovaBison
01-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Posted this on the other board, but this is my guess. I wouldn't necessarily think he'll be Oline... could be someone existing on the staff.

You are right!

https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/1349073961250861058

Larson moves to OL... and Beschorner to RB

Kevin
01-12-2021, 06:27 PM
Dan Larson taking over this spot via Dom on twitter. MSU-Mankato coach coming to take over Dan's spot as RB coach.

mtoutfitter
01-12-2021, 06:51 PM

Woo Hoo......Nostrafu^^^^^domus. Good call!

Jay
01-12-2021, 07:52 PM
2019 Division 2 Coordinator of the Year

https://footballscoop.com/news/joe-beschorner-2019-division-ii-coordinator-of-the-year/

Bisonator98
01-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Interesting moves, does Larson have any experience coaching oline?

bisonforever
01-13-2021, 02:24 PM
Interesting moves, does Larson have any experience coaching oline?
About as much as Polesek did before he went to Iowa.

BisonVifte
02-03-2021, 03:12 PM
Rumors he is going to Vanderbilt now.

HandoEX
02-03-2021, 03:26 PM

That’s pretty fucked. Leaving after a few weeks on the job is not a good look for him and will limit his opportunities down the road I’d think.

23Bison
02-03-2021, 04:10 PM
It’s pretty interesting that he’s already leaving Wyoming even though never really got to Wyoming. Did his vehicle even have time to cool off?

scottietohottie
02-03-2021, 04:14 PM
It’s pretty interesting that he’s already leaving Wyoming even though never really got to Wyoming. Did his vehicle even have time to cool off?

Hasn't even got his order at Applebee's yet.

tjbison
02-03-2021, 04:15 PM

wow, he got to Laramie realized its a Dump and bolted??

and yes, I have been to Laramie many of times, had a friend that lived outside there, i can attest to the claim above...

23Bison
02-03-2021, 04:15 PM
^^^:rofl:^^^

23Bison
02-03-2021, 04:16 PM
Hasn't even got his order at Applebee's yet.

Solid Gold!!

THEsocalledfan
02-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Is this confirmed? I've seen no links to credible media.

Twincitybizon
02-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Is this confirmed? I've seen no links to credible media.

https://twitter.com/GarrettStepien/status/1356994694924947457?s=20

Ross also posted and retweeted

ByeSonBusiness
02-03-2021, 05:28 PM

The new coach at Vandy is pretty sharp. Tough place to win though

heffray
02-03-2021, 05:44 PM
The new coach at Vandy is pretty sharp. Tough place to win though

Coaching in the SEC > Coaching in the MW.

bruinbison
02-03-2021, 06:22 PM
https://247sports.com/college/vanderbilt/Article/Vanderbilt-football-hiring-Wyoming-Cowboys-OL-coach-AJ-Blazek-160355272/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Apparently Blazek played college football at Iowa with Vandy’s new OC.

El_Chapo
02-04-2021, 03:22 PM
That’s pretty fucked. Leaving after a few weeks on the job is not a good look for him and will limit his opportunities down the road I’d think.

ol hando wrong again.

#1 its his old teammate at Vandy #2 SEC > wyoming .... $400k vs $175k duhhhhhhhhhhh

Kevin
02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
ol hando wrong again.

#1 its his old teammate at Vandy #2 SEC > wyoming .... $400k vs $175k duhhhhhhhhhhh

The gap between FCS and G5 is huge. But the gap from G5 to P5 might be huger.

Get us into the big12 lakes.

HandoEX
02-04-2021, 06:43 PM
ol hando wrong again.

More hyperbole from your dumb ass. Never referred to Wyoming being comparable to Vandy, but make up some more shit.

El_Chapo
02-05-2021, 03:21 AM
More hyperbole from your dumb ass. Never referred to Wyoming being comparable to Vandy, but make up some more shit.

Hando - Leaving after a few weeks on the job is not a good look for him

its a GREAT look for his checking account and future job aspirations.